PDA

View Full Version : Electronics Got my new iPhone 4 today

bishop_74
06-24-2010, 04:52 PM
I had the 3G before so having all the extra features on this thing is pretty exciting. I do however notice that the signal degrades when you hold it a certain way. I am going to have to get a case for it. Otherwise I am really happy with it. I can see a significant performance increase, and the display is muey bueno!

Dave Lane
06-24-2010, 04:56 PM
Sat in line for 8 hours gave up and bailed

OnTheWarpath58
06-24-2010, 04:56 PM
I haven't picked one up yet, but I've read that if you cover the three notches on the side with your finger/hand, that the signal will weaken and you'll drop calls.

Otherwise, I've read that the signal is much better than the 3Gs.

ChiefsFan4Life
06-24-2010, 05:15 PM
So if you hold your phone to make a call you have no signal ... wow, good move on Apple's part there

bishop_74
06-24-2010, 05:17 PM
So if you hold your phone to make a call you have no signal ... wow, good move on Apple's part there

Yeah... not sure how that was missed.

Fritz88
06-24-2010, 05:47 PM
This signal issue could be a factory malfunction, did you try to contact them and perhaps get a replacement?

bishop_74
06-24-2010, 05:57 PM
This signal issue could be a factory malfunction, did you try to contact them and perhaps get a replacement?

Unfortunately it's all over the web as being a product defect. They all do it because in an effort to boost signal (which it does) they built the antennea in to the metal part of the casing. Similar to when you touch a TV antennea it modifies the signal strength. So the 2 options are:

A) Make sure you don't touch the metal part while you are talking.

B) Get a case that keeps your fingers from grounding the antennea.

mikeyis4dcats.
06-24-2010, 07:24 PM
yeah, read about that. brilliant move by apple. I wondered immediately when I saw it released how that antenna would hold up long term to the elements.

SLAG
06-24-2010, 08:26 PM
http://is.gd/d2N4r

Mr. Flopnuts
06-24-2010, 08:31 PM
Someone correct me if I'm wrong. These phones are not 4g right? Apple has a great little marketing gimmick going by calling it the iPhone 4, but it is decidedly a 3g phone I thought. AFAIK, Sprint is the only network that currently has 4g available.

Shag
06-24-2010, 08:41 PM
Someone correct me if I'm wrong. These phones are not 4g right? Apple has a great little marketing gimmick going by calling it the iPhone 4, but it is decidedly a 3g phone I thought. AFAIK, Sprint is the only network that currently has 4g available.

No, it's not 4G, though it is the 4th generation iPhone...

-King-
06-24-2010, 08:51 PM
No, it's not 4G, though it is the 4th generation iPhone...

Whoa. That's kind of fucked up.

Apple is the king of adding a few things to something and then marketing it as a whole new product.

BWillie
06-24-2010, 08:51 PM
I'd
Yeah. Apple is a sly animal. For some reason apple had managed to get so many fan boys that are extremely loyal to buy their phone. While it is a good phone it is overrated. The only thing I really see better on the iphone than the evo is the battery and the camcorder/camera.

Saulbadguy
06-24-2010, 08:54 PM
I haven't picked one up yet, but I've read that if you cover the three notches on the side with your finger/hand, that the signal will weaken and you'll drop calls.

Otherwise, I've read that the signal is much better than the 3Gs.

Who the fuck talks on a phone now a days anyways?

Losers. That's who.

-King-
06-24-2010, 09:00 PM
I'd
Yeah. Apple is a sly animal. For some reason apple had managed to get so many fan boys that are extremely loyal to buy their phone. While it is a good phone it is overrated. The only thing I really see better on the iphone than the evo is the battery and the camcorder/camera.

Isn't the iphone's camera 5mp while the evo's is 8mp?

Sure-Oz
06-24-2010, 09:00 PM
http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home/article/109896/5-big-blemishes-for-the-apple-iphone-4

5 Big Blemishes for the Apple iPhone 4
by Scott Moritz
Wednesday, June 23, 2010

provided by
ts_logo-(2).jpg

Apple's (AAPL - News) redesigned iPhone is destined to be a knockout success. The phone scores high on style points with its sleek glass and stainless steel design, and it wins points for its multitasking software and improved screen.

There are, however, a few shortcomings.

More from TheStreet.com:

• 12 Must-Have Android Apps for 2010

• Cramer: Apple's Future

• Steve Jobs' Exponential Value for iPhone 4

The Apple iPhone 4 is set to go on sale Thursday. Judging by the record demand during the pre-sale period, the newest iPhone will make a huge sales splash, especially with old iPhone owners trading up.

[Click here to check savings products and rates in your area.]

All the presales excitement and Apple-driven hype have set expectations very high. But mighty Apple plays to a tough crowd. It's an affluent group that has been eager to buy the next new thing out of Cupertino, Calif. It's also a highly discerning group with a refined taste in gadgets, and that makes them a bit fussy.

Here are five bruises on the new Apple iPhone that may engender complaint.

No. 5: A Skimpy Camera

Popular Stories on Yahoo!:

• New Hollywood Piracy Threat

• $75 Million Mansion Lacks Basics

• Obama Mortgage Plan in Trouble
More from Yahoo! Finance

As smartphone challengers like HTC, Motorola (MOT - News) and Nokia (NOK - News) embrace the megapixel race with 8-megapixel and 12-megapixel cameras, Apple's new iPhone keeps it cheap with a 5-megapixel model.

This will be a bigger point of contention this week when Verizon (VZ - News) and Motorola unveil the Droid X Wednesday, the newest Google (GOOG - News) Android phone, which features an 8-megapixel camera. Android phone giant HTC has also been generous with 8-megapixel cameras in its Droid Incredible and Sprint's (S - News) EVO.

Meanwhile, Apple, always the laggard in cameras, won't enter the 8-megapixel class until next year when it debuts a sweet Sony (SNE - News) camera in its 2011 iPhone. But by then, who knows where the rest of the pack will be?

No. 4: No Swype

If you've seen Swype or used it, you know why this omission makes the list. Typing on a touchscreen is a challenge as the flat glass surface offers few clues to where your fat fingers are precisely making contact. It's an error-prone process that gives one a longing for the raised keys of the BlackBerry keyboard from Research In Motion (RIMM - News).

But the Swype keypad software helps tame the new medium. Swype follows the pattern of your finger movements to type words or predict words without the usual hunting and pecking.

Apple did wonders with the touchscreen, but Swype makes it more useful for those among us who like to type.

No. 3: Video Calling

Okay, it's not totally bait and switch, but Apple's hot new iPhone video calling feature, FaceTime, comes with lots of asterisks and a limited applicability.

Say you want to video chat with someone using the Apple iPhone 4. That someone has to have a WiFi connection and he has to use the same application on his own iPhone 4. You're looking at a small club of people -- not exactly an application of global Skype-like proportions.

No. 2: iPhone 4 Shortages

Strong demand is only half the story for Apple's iPhone sales debut. Limited supply is the other. A shortage of in-plane display panels, the crucial part of Apple's touted retina display screens, has forced Apple's contract manufacturers to cut production rates in half to 1 million iPhones a month.

This means there won't be enough iPhones on hand to meet the presumably high demand. Though it's not a terrible problem to have if you are a gadget maker, sellouts and delivery delays will mar Apple's big iPhone 4 debut. The frustration could push buyers toward other phones.

No. 1: No Verizon iPhone.

A new iPhone is big. But a new iPhone at Verizon? Much bigger.

Apple's exclusive partnership with AT&T (T - News) has been a point of discord among iPhone owners and it has tarnished the public perception of both companies. It also has done almost nothing for AT&T's stock.

Investors have been waiting for the Verizon iPhone. But that's apparently not going to happen until next year, if ever.

So Apple fans who want the new iPhone have to lock in for another two years with AT&T. This scenario is not particularly pleasant considering that AT&T's new subscriber plans put penalties on people (like iPhone users) who happen to be heavy data users.

Mr. Flopnuts
06-24-2010, 09:01 PM
Who the fuck talks on a phone now a days anyways?

Losers. That's who.

LMAO

Fish
06-24-2010, 10:20 PM
http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home/article/109896/5-big-blemishes-for-the-apple-iphone-4

5 Big Blemishes for the Apple iPhone 4

Swype is a ripoff of Shapewriter for the iPhone.....

Shapewriter has been out for a long time....

http://www.shapewriter.com/iphone.html

And they both suck for actual input. The keyboard can be just as fast if not faster....

The rest of the list is weak.

irishjayhawk
06-24-2010, 10:26 PM

And they both suck for actual input. The keyboard can be just as fast if not faster....

While Verizon Phone is would be a big plus, it's hardly a minus. That was the biggest reach, by far.

It's like people blaming Apple for the capped data plans, which I've seen people do.

Fish
06-24-2010, 10:46 PM
While Verizon Phone is would be a big plus, it's hardly a minus. That was the biggest reach, by far.

It's like people blaming Apple for the capped data plans, which I've seen people do.

From what very minor "sources" I have with Apple, the Verizon iPhone was pretty close to being a reality along with the release of v.4. Rumor has it that Apple wanted it badly. AT&T has essentially hitched their short term future on the iPhone and paid dearly for it.

irishjayhawk
06-24-2010, 10:49 PM
If it went to Verizon I'd have to thoroughly consider simply buying the phone outright and grabbing a MIFI. It'd probably be cheaper in the long run and the MiFi will cover other units like a lappy or an iPad.

Fish
06-24-2010, 11:00 PM
The camera is hardly "skimpy". The difference between 5MP and 8MP is hardly noticeable for a phone camera. And the iPhone has an illumination sensor. Basically a light sensitive flash for both photo and video. And it records HD video. I mean come on....

Video calling is what it is. A neat gadget. Hardly a deciding factor for the phone.

And only 1 million iPhones a month? Ohh the horror for Apple. They have incredible demand on their hands that will make the iPhone 4 a desired purchase for some time. What an incredible blemish for Apple. I'm sure they're totally hating that.

irishjayhawk
06-24-2010, 11:06 PM
http://www.antennasys.com/antennasys-blog/2010/6/24/apple-iphone-4-antennas.html

Fish
06-24-2010, 11:08 PM
The display is INCREDIBLE......

Gotta see it to believe it. Zooming in on everything is crystal clear and very smooth.

bishop_74
06-24-2010, 11:12 PM
Just used FaceTime and called my sis. That is one bad ass application!

googlegoogle
06-24-2010, 11:25 PM
Megapixels don't really matter after 5meg. It's only for blowing up photos.

The quality of the sensor and size i guess do.

Someone tell me if the HTC and Droid have hd camcorder ability. That's pretty cool. Better than megapixel wars on cameras.

BWillie
06-24-2010, 11:54 PM

If you type faster on a touchscreen that on Swype you are doing it wrong and don't have ample knowledge of where the keys are on a keyboard. Swype is, at least, 3x faster than typing on a touchscreen. There is no comparison. And I used shapewriter, it sucked.

BWillie
06-24-2010, 11:59 PM
Isn't the iphone's camera 5mp while the evo's is 8mp?

Yeah, but just because you are flaunting mega pixel and 720p doesn't mean it's better. I'm a EVO lover and mainly mock Iphone lovers and the Iphone 4's camcorder and camera IS better than the Evos. Not that the Evo's is bad, but it has more difficulty in dimly lit areas. Outside the Evo's camcorder/camera is pretty comparable. But the iphone codec is just better.

SLAG
06-25-2010, 12:46 AM
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ULv-0xcciFE&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ULv-0xcciFE&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Gravedigger
06-25-2010, 01:12 AM
Megapixels don't really matter after 5meg. It's only for blowing up photos.

The quality of the sensor and size i guess do.

Someone tell me if the HTC and Droid have hd camcorder ability. That's pretty cool. Better than megapixel wars on cameras.

Yeah the only differences between the Iphone 4 and the EVO 4G is:

The Iphone4 has a nicer, albeit smaller screen that can produce higher resolution.

The Iphone 4 has a better battery life, or so I've heard, that is really the only negative to the EVO is it's battery life.

EVO has 4G, Iphone doesn't.

EVO has an 8 MP camera, Iphone doesn't.

They both shoot in HD video 720p.

The rest is really just the service providers. ATT for new customers issued the Data Cap, no longer unlimited, Sprint has the unlimited data and even with the 4G $10 a month fee my bill is slightly less than ATT was. Personally I'm on the 450 anytime minutes to LAN lines, which I never really call LAN lines unless I'm ordering takeout, but unlimited to any cell phone, unlimited data, and unlimited messaging all for $79.99, that includes the 4G cost as well.

I switched from the Iphone first generation to the EVO last week and I'm very happy with my decision. The fact that the Iphone has that antenna malfunction is a. funny as hell and b. makes me glad I didn't hold out for it. I was a three year Iphone enthusiast without the simplest possible thought of what it'd be like to swap phones. But on paper and in review now, it seems EVO 4G is the better decision. I was an Iphone fanboy but you haven't seen beauty till you've seen the EVO. If you can get past the battery thing, which all you have to do is download Task Killer and monitor it if you've been using all the goodies it comes with, you're made in the shade.

googlegoogle
06-25-2010, 01:18 AM
Would an OS compatible with windows be bad?

You could play your windows games & software.

WilliamTheIrish
06-25-2010, 06:19 AM
Who uses HD phone camcorder for anything real?

Losers that who!

Fish
06-25-2010, 08:45 AM
If you type faster on a touchscreen that on Swype you are doing it wrong and don't have ample knowledge of where the keys are on a keyboard. Swype is, at least, 3x faster than typing on a touchscreen. There is no comparison. And I used shapewriter, it sucked.

Really?

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bet1H1hC4VY&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bet1H1hC4VY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Even one finger...

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/z44Xxxd3XLc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/z44Xxxd3XLc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Fish
06-25-2010, 08:49 AM
If you can get past the battery thing, which all you have to do is download Task Killer and monitor it if you've been using all the goodies it comes with, you're made in the shade.

This still really gets me. It's the best phone in the world, as long as you don't mind sucky battery life and having to turn off the majority of the features that make it awesome in order to make it through the day.

That's a big drawback for me.

irishjayhawk
06-25-2010, 08:51 AM
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DnW5W7aAOYk&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DnW5W7aAOYk&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

bishop_74
06-25-2010, 10:31 AM
Would an OS compatible with windows be bad?

You could play your windows games & software.
http://mobile.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/en-us/campaigns/WP7/default.mspx