PDA

View Full Version : Electronics What is a good blueray player that streams Netflix?

vailpass
06-25-2010, 04:34 PM
I'm a Netflix newb, have discovered that removing the Wii or PS3 from the kid's game room isn't popular. Seems like getting a blue ray player that is Netflix enabled is my other option.

I see Sony, Samsung, LG make them. Does anyone have one of these? Is there anything I should look for?

Thanks.

Jewish Rabbi
06-25-2010, 04:37 PM
Just get another PS3...

Guru
06-25-2010, 04:39 PM
THAT

Mr. Flopnuts
06-25-2010, 04:48 PM
I'd just get another PS3............................

Pestilence
06-25-2010, 04:49 PM
I don't know if it's been said yet.....

But get another PS3.

vailpass
06-25-2010, 04:58 PM
Have enough PS3WiiBox things, want something different.

Buck
06-25-2010, 06:39 PM
Have enough PS3WiiBox things, want something different.

Why would you want something other than the best blu-ray player (PS3) that also plays games and you can go on the internet with, and its also the least expensive option you'll find (for how good of a blu-ray player it is)?

Param
06-25-2010, 06:39 PM
Blu-Ray players have tanked in prices. Skip the PS3 since they're $300.

Buck
06-25-2010, 06:47 PM
Blu-Ray players have tanked in prices. Skip the PS3 since they're $300.

You're not going to find many Blu-Ray players that have Netflix Streaming, with automatic firmware updates, BD-Live, and short load times for $300, even still.

vailpass
06-25-2010, 07:26 PM
You're not going to find many Blu-Ray players that have Netflix Streaming, with automatic firmware updates, BD-Live, and short load times for $300, even still.

Sony BDP-N460 for $140.00
Are there certain features that some players have over others?

Buck
06-25-2010, 07:29 PM
Sony BDP-N460 for $140.00
Are there certain features that some players have over others?

The good: Excellent image quality on Blu-ray movies; streams Netflix, Amazon Video On-Demand, YouTube, Slacker, and NPR; relatively inexpensive given its suite of streaming features; Profile 2.0 compatible; onboard decoding for Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio.

The bad: No built-in Wi-Fi; lacks onboard storage for BD-Live; no eject button on the remote; many Internet content channels feature outdated content.

The bottom line: The Sony BDP-N460's attractive mix of Blu-ray performance, relatively low price, and streaming media options--including Netflix--make it a solid midrange pick, despite some missing features.
=====================================

The average user rating on this model is 2.5 out of 5 stars.

I had a similar model once and the load times for the blu-rays was over 5 minutes. Pretty annoying. If you can get over that fact, then cheaper is probably better for you.

Buck
06-25-2010, 07:32 PM
Read these user reviews first vailpass.

http://reviews.cnet.com/blu-ray-players-recorders/sony-bdp-n460/4852-9991_7-33770823.html?tag=psum;seeAllUR

vailpass
06-25-2010, 07:37 PM
Read these user reviews first vailpass.

http://reviews.cnet.com/blu-ray-players-recorders/sony-bdp-n460/4852-9991_7-33770823.html?tag=psum;seeAllUR

Thanks Buck.

OnTheWarpath58
06-25-2010, 07:56 PM
If I were buying, and a PS3 wasn't an option, I'd go with this:

http://bluray-players.net/panasonic/panasonic-dmp-bd85-review/

You can get it for $200 if you look around a bit.

notorious
06-25-2010, 08:24 PM
no eject button on the remote

JFC you lazy fucks!

ROFL

Sidenote: I loved my old Harmon DVD50 that had eject on the remote..........

Buck
06-25-2010, 08:28 PM
JFC you lazy fucks!

ROFL

Thats taken directly from a CNET review.

ChiefsLV
06-25-2010, 08:32 PM
Around Xmas time, there was an LG bluray player I bought with streaming Netflix for a work raffle for only $130. The only downside was it didn't have WiFi but you could get an adapter for it. Still would put it at half the price of a PS3 and wouldn't have to put in a netflix disc every time you want to use it.

http://www.buy.com/prod/lg-bd550-bd-player-bd-re-dvd-rw-dvd-rw-cd-rw-bd-video-dvd-video-audio/q/listingid/75850463/loc/111/214577348.html

notorious
06-25-2010, 08:36 PM
Thats taken directly from a CNET review.

LOL just breaking balls.

I had one the first car audio head units that had a remote. I caught never ending shit for it, too.

Saulbadguy
06-25-2010, 08:49 PM
I've used several different blu-ray players, a couple from Samsung and one from Sony, and their interfaces are absolute shit compared to the PS3. JMO.

Pitt Gorilla
06-25-2010, 09:26 PM
PS3 and it isn't a contest.

vailpass
06-26-2010, 11:34 AM
PS3 and it isn't a contest.

I have a PS3 and Wii. I want something for my viewing room that is a little more for grown ups, that looks good with the other stuff.

Buck
06-26-2010, 12:00 PM
I have a PS3 and Wii. I want something for my viewing room that is a little more for grown ups, that looks good with the other stuff.

Check this out dude.

According to CNET, these are the best and theres pics of all of them here so you can see what they look like.

http://reviews.cnet.com/best-blu-ray-players/?tag=mncol;pm

Pitt Gorilla
06-26-2010, 01:44 PM
I have a PS3 and Wii. I want something for my viewing room that is a little more for grown ups, that looks good with the other stuff.Our "viewing room" has a piano black PS3 that looks great with our DVR, TV, etc. How is another player going to look significantly different?

Bowser
06-26-2010, 01:51 PM

Throw in God of War 3. That's for grown ups. Throw in some Cognac if you need to.

Sure-Oz
06-26-2010, 02:08 PM
ps3 ownz

Mr. Arrowhead
06-26-2010, 04:08 PM
like others have said, you cant beat the PS3 blue ray

Guru
06-26-2010, 05:54 PM
JFC you lazy ****s!

ROFL

I have never understood putting the eject button on a remote. You still have to get up to change the disc. God forbid you have to actually push a button when you get there.

Not directed at you Buck. Just sayin.

Buck
06-26-2010, 06:11 PM
I have never understood putting the eject button on a remote. You still have to get up to change the disc. God forbid you have to actually push a button when you get there.

Not directed at you Buck. Just sayin.

Jesus, who cares. I don't care if there is an eject button or not, all I did was copy and paste the CNET review.

vailpass
06-27-2010, 11:10 AM
Our "viewing room" has a piano black PS3 that looks great with our DVR, TV, etc. How is another player going to look significantly different?

I'm sure your room looks great, didn't mean to insult you. I just want something that isn't kid-video gameish.
Buck has given me some excellent options, including the PS3 Slim (yes, kid-video gameish but a little different).
"Piano black"? Do they come in a different color?

notorious
06-27-2010, 12:42 PM
Jesus, who cares. I don't care if there is an eject button or not, all I did was copy and paste the CNET review.

It's funny as hell, and we are not busting on you, Buck.

The BlueRay changers need to come down in price so we don't even have to worry about changing discs........

KCrockaholic
06-27-2010, 12:50 PM
Did you GET ANOTHER PS3 yet?

vailpass
06-27-2010, 01:51 PM
Found out today my PS3 makes a humming noise and lines on the screen when you play a DVD or stream Netflix through it. What the hell?

TrebMaxx
06-27-2010, 01:58 PM
I have a LG-BD570. It has Wi-Fi and works great with Netflix. I also have a PS3 but use the LG for DVD(up converts great), BluRay and streaming. The PS3 is for gaming.

Buck
06-27-2010, 02:07 PM
Found out today my PS3 makes a humming noise and lines on the screen when you play a DVD or stream Netflix through it. What the hell?

What kind of cables are you using to
connect the PS3 to the TV?

vailpass
06-27-2010, 02:11 PM
What kind of cables are you using to
connect the PS3 to the TV?

I'm using the RCA plug that came with the unit. Think its a cable problem?

Buck
06-27-2010, 02:20 PM
I'm using the RCA plug that came with the unit. Think its a cable problem?

More than likely. Or it could be the TV settings. Put the tv on an input that doesn't have anything connected so it's just a blank screen and look really closely at the TV to see if you can see the same lines.

vailpass
06-27-2010, 02:30 PM
More than likely. Or it could be the TV settings. Put the tv on an input that doesn't have anything connected so it's just a blank screen and look really closely at the TV to see if you can see the same lines.

Thanks. I looked, no lines on the blank input 2 screen. Its one of my kid's gaming TVs, old Sony 36'' Trinitron, no HD but great picture. I'm going to grab an s-video cable for it. Want him to be able to watch Netflix on it.
Appreciate your sharing your expertise.

Buck
06-27-2010, 03:08 PM
Thanks. I looked, no lines on the blank input 2 screen. Its one of my kid's gaming TVs, old Sony 36'' Trinitron, no HD but great picture. I'm going to grab an s-video cable for it. Want him to be able to watch Netflix on it.

Hope it works for you.

vailpass
06-27-2010, 06:19 PM
Hope it works for you.

It didn't. Oh well. All they do is play games on it and it works just fine for that. I was just testing it to see if I liked it as a movie player/netflix box.

morphius
06-27-2010, 06:43 PM
If it is 2 or 3 thin horizontal lines it is probably the TV, I believe a lot of the Sony CRT's have those lines. The sound is an interesting issue though, not sure what that is.

BCD
06-27-2010, 07:13 PM
The good: Excellent image quality on Blu-ray movies; streams Netflix, Amazon Video On-Demand, YouTube, Slacker, and NPR; relatively inexpensive given its suite of streaming features; Profile 2.0 compatible; onboard decoding for Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio.

The bad: No built-in Wi-Fi; lacks onboard storage for BD-Live; no eject button on the remote; many Internet content channels feature outdated content.

The bottom line: The Sony BDP-N460's attractive mix of Blu-ray performance, relatively low price, and streaming media options--including Netflix--make it a solid midrange pick, despite some missing features.
=====================================

The average user rating on this model is 2.5 out of 5 stars.

I had a similar model once and the load times for the blu-rays was over 5 minutes. Pretty annoying. If you can get over that fact, then cheaper is probably better for you.LMAO Are people really this lazy that this is considered bad?

BCD
06-27-2010, 07:25 PM
I want a streaming BD player, too but I'm not a gamer so there's no way I'm forking over 3 bills for a BD player that also happens to play games.

Mr. Flopnuts
06-27-2010, 07:51 PM
Has anyone mentioned a PS3? Of course, there isn't an eject button on the controller........................

notorious
06-27-2010, 07:55 PM
Has anyone mentioned a PS3? Of course, there isn't an eject button on the controller........................

Deal Breaker.

If it doesn't end up in the garbage it might be lucky enough to be used as a paperweight.

The Bad Guy
06-27-2010, 08:08 PM
I got this and have loved it so far..

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?type=product&id=1218096448903

Guru
06-27-2010, 08:26 PM

I know you did. That is why I said my comment was not directed at you.:rolleyes:

BCD
06-27-2010, 08:41 PM
I got this and have loved it so far..

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?type=product&id=1218096448903Nice.

Dallas Chief
06-27-2010, 09:30 PM
Seriously. If you need another BD player you should absolutely 100% buy another PS3. There are so many firmware upgrades coming down the road, more content partners, including a sh!t ton of 3D stuff. I could tell you more, but then again, maybe not! :) It is and has been far and away the best BD player on the market since the format launched. Consider it the "hub" of your home entertainment systems. It will get there over the next 18 months.

Pitt Gorilla
06-27-2010, 11:00 PM
I'm sure your room looks great, didn't mean to insult you. I just want something that isn't kid-video gameish.
Buck has given me some excellent options, including the PS3 Slim (yes, kid-video gameish but a little different).
"Piano black"? Do they come in a different color?Mine is an older version and the black finish looks better than the newer models IMO.

Pestilence
06-28-2010, 10:14 AM
Who needs an eject button on the remote.....when you have a kid that can swap discs out for you?

Mr. Flopnuts
06-28-2010, 10:17 AM
Seriously though, the slim PS3's are pretty sharp looking. And if you're going to have multiple consoles, why not make it the superior one?

Cave Johnson
06-28-2010, 10:19 AM
I'm going the "3-month rental" route until I can pick up a super cheap player on black Friday. No need for Netflix streaming, though, as that's through the 360.

vailpass
06-28-2010, 10:49 AM
Mine is an older version and the black finish looks better than the newer models IMO.

Oh, got ya'. We bought our PS3 the first year they came out, it is shiny black. Didn't know the newer ones looked different. Thanks.

vailpass
06-28-2010, 10:52 AM
Seriously though, the slim PS3's are pretty sharp looking. And if you're going to have multiple consoles, why not make it the superior one?

Yeah, thanks to the overwhelming input here in favor of PS3 as b-ray player and Buck's showing me that a PS3 slim exists I'm leaning towards going the slim route.
Really don't want my kids thinking they can play video games in my viewing area but I want to get the best player.

Saulbadguy
06-28-2010, 02:53 PM
Oh, got ya'. We bought our PS3 the first year they came out, it is shiny black. Didn't know the newer ones looked different. Thanks.

The new ones have a matte finish. I like it better - doesn't show dust and cat hair as much.

vailpass
06-28-2010, 03:52 PM
The new ones have a matte finish. I like it better - doesn't show dust and cat hair as much.

It appears from the pics I see that the ps3 slim is a matte sort of finish. Glad to hear it is both attractive and functional.

Mr. Flopnuts
06-28-2010, 04:18 PM
Yeah, thanks to the overwhelming input here in favor of PS3 as b-ray player and Buck's showing me that a PS3 slim exists I'm leaning towards going the slim route.
Really don't want my kids thinking they can play video games in my viewing area but I want to get the best player.

I knew that's what it was. I don't blame you. Just make it clear, "Good news guys. You get to keep the PS3 in your room and don't have to worry about mom and dad using it for movies anymore. We have another one now in my area that if I find you touching, I'll remove the finger that's on it."

:D

The slim PS3 is your best bet for the money, and the ability. I'm not trying to push you here at all, and I'm sure it wouldn't matter if I was. :) But, I want to see everyone get the most bang for their buck. I have an entire thread dedicated to it now. :D

Guru
06-28-2010, 10:15 PM
Really don't want my kids thinking they can play video games in my viewing area but I want to get the best player.When I decide that I need to watch blu-rays in my basement getting another PS3 will be what I do as well.

vailpass
06-29-2010, 09:33 AM
I knew that's what it was. I don't blame you. Just make it clear, "Good news guys. You get to keep the PS3 in your room and don't have to worry about mom and dad using it for movies anymore. We have another one now in my area that if I find you touching, I'll remove the finger that's on it."

:D

The slim PS3 is your best bet for the money, and the ability. I'm not trying to push you here at all, and I'm sure it wouldn't matter if I was. :) But, I want to see everyone get the most bang for their buck. I have an entire thread dedicated to it now. :D

Yes I feel bad for saying it but not wanting my kids to think there was a second gameroom is part of my motivation for seeking a non-ps3 b-ray player. They have their own room for gaming (NOT their bedroom, no computers or video games in the b-rooms) and they know the rules about daddy's room but still, I'm not a hardass with my kids.

Saulbadguy
06-29-2010, 09:55 AM
Yes I feel bad for saying it but not wanting my kids to think there was a second gameroom is part of my motivation for seeking a non-ps3 b-ray player. They have their own room for gaming (NOT their bedroom, no computers or video games in the b-rooms) and they know the rules about daddy's room but still, I'm not a hardass with my kids.

I'm sure there might be a way to incorporate a parental lock which would prevent video games from being played on the system. Wish I could help you with that, but i've never even looked at parental controls before.

Guru
06-29-2010, 05:12 PM
I'm sure there might be a way to incorporate a parental lock which would prevent video games from being played on the system. Wish I could help you with that, but i've never even looked at parental controls before.

they are pretty much non existent. that is one thing that Live kicks ps3's ass in.

dj56dt58
06-29-2010, 09:46 PM
It's funny as hell, and we are not busting on you, Buck.

The BlueRay changers need to come down in price so we don't even have to worry about changing discs........

why? dont u just get up to take a piss between movies anyway?

vailpass
06-29-2010, 09:48 PM

My parental control will be to tell them it is off limits.

vailpass
06-29-2010, 09:48 PM
they are pretty much non existent. that is one thing that Live kicks ps3's ass in.

The virus protection I have for the ps3 also includes a parental control feature.