PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports Another SOCCER thread: Here's what FIFA should do.

Frankie
06-27-2010, 11:51 AM
1- Keep the three-sub rule for the duration of the game. Allow one extra substitution for over-time.

2- Allow unlimited substitution at halftime.

3- Join the 21st century with video technology. Replays don't have to be for every little dispute or questionable call. Just goals the are disallowed with near obvious bad calls or ref mistakes. Goals that are illegally stopped by D in a rather obvious infraction (remember US/Germany 2002). Use them also in Red-card situations. Kaka should never have been kicked out that last game.

4- Continuing the video tech theme, there should be cameras dedicated to the goal line (as in Tennis' line cameras) to show whether a ball is actually in as a goal or not.

5- Devise a way to severely punish cheap dives, even if it's after a post-match review. Red-card a blatant diver, after the review and make him ineligible for the next game. Better yet, the next two games. (example: the guy who grabbed his face and fell on the ground in 'excruciating' pain after Kaka feather-touched him in the chest.)

Ideas not yet included in the list since I'm not yet convinced:

A- One offside goal per game should be allowed using basically a team coupon?

B- Maybe having two refs each assigned to half a field?

Your thoughts, ideas and arguments not just welcome but encouraged. I will add the ones that convince me to the above list.

Discuss away.

Rain Man
06-27-2010, 12:39 PM
How about letting the players use their hands to carry the ball? And if you do that, then let the defense take the ball away by grabbing or hitting the player with the ball and forcing them to the ground.

And yeah, they should stop that fake injury stuff. It's not very dignified for the sport and it makes the players look incredibly sissyish.

Frankie
06-28-2010, 02:43 PM
Hey I really would like to get your feedback/ideas for improving this game. Humor me, people!

blaise
06-28-2010, 02:48 PM
I don't see why you should get a free offsides goal. They should have replay on goals. Why do you want more substitutions?

Mr. Laz
06-28-2010, 02:52 PM
this would be the place to discuss it:

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=228878

:fire:

btw: another ref, free/unlimited subbing and no offside inside the box would be my improvements

loochy
06-28-2010, 02:53 PM
1- Keep the three-sub rule for the duration of the game. Allow one extra substitution for over-time.

No, this is part of the strategy and planning.

No, this is part of the strategy and planning.

3- Join the 21st century with video technology. Replays don't have to be for every little dispute or questionable call. Just goals the are disallowed with near obvious bad calls or ref mistakes. Goals that are illegally stopped by D in a rather obvious infraction (remember US/Germany 2002). Use them also in Red-card situations. Kaka should never have been kicked out that last game.

I say use the technology for goal line situations only. Even though refs make mistakes, you can't stop down and go over to a video camera for every little foul. Red card situations are often based upon perceived intent, which is a subjective thing for the ref, so a review usually won't help there.

4- Continuing the video tech theme, there should be cameras dedicated to the goal line (as in Tennis' line cameras) to show whether a ball is actually in as a goal or not.

Definitely this.

5- Devise a way to severely punish cheap dives, even if it's after a post-match review. Red-card a blatant diver, after the review and make him ineligible for the next game. Better yet, the next two games. (example: the guy who grabbed his face and fell on the ground in 'excruciating' pain after Kaka feather-touched him in the chest.)

Definitely this again.

That would totally change the way the game is played. Definitely no. You want goals and no offsides? Go watch indoor soccer. Oh wait, that sucks and nobody likes it.

I like this idea the best of all.

Your thoughts, ideas and arguments not just welcome but encouraged. I will add the ones that convince me to the above list.

Discuss away.

I must say that I would like review or officiating help added, but only when it doesn't change the flow, pace, or style of the game. The rules of the game can not, should not, and will not be changed.

Stinger
06-28-2010, 03:01 PM

I like this idea the best of all.

Agree with everything you said except this part. To much inconsistency there between two referees. And like you said game flow is what it is about. I would suggest maybe putting another referee assistant behind the goals for an extra set of eyes for corner kicks, crosses, and goals scored.

penguinz
06-28-2010, 03:56 PM
What is there to remember? By definition of the law there was no foul there. It was a good call.

The defenders hand was down to his side and he did not move it. The ball hit his hand. He did not hit the ball with his hand.

The law states: Deliberate handling of the ball.

penguinz
06-28-2010, 03:59 PM
btw... The EPL will have six referees on the games this upcoming season. There will be the Center, two AR's the 4th and then one behind each goal.

The ones behind the goal will not have flags as the AR's do but will have audio communication with the others.

morphius
06-28-2010, 04:09 PM
I would like to see both soccer and basketball go to a hockey like transfer of players, one guy goes off, another guy can come on. I don't see the need to stop play in a game just to let people on and off the field.

Goal camera reviews is really about the tech I think you can/should add.

Get rid of the offsides, or if you feel you have to have it set up lines like hockey, you can't cross it before the ball. Easier to rule on, and would lead to a lot less confusion and bad calls on goals. (Sure it still happens in hockey, but not as often as often as I'm seeing in soccer)

CHENZ A!
06-28-2010, 04:16 PM
Why not make certain calls challengable, and give each coach 2 per game.
Posted via Mobile Device

Baby Lee
06-28-2010, 04:20 PM
Anyone else unable to navigate beyond Param's post 3096 in the Official WC thread?

loochy
06-28-2010, 04:22 PM
I would like to see both soccer and basketball go to a hockey like transfer of players, one guy goes off, another guy can come on. I don't see the need to stop play in a game just to let people on and off the field.

Goal camera reviews is really about the tech I think you can/should add.

Get rid of the offsides, or if you feel you have to have it set up lines like hockey, you can't cross it before the ball. Easier to rule on, and would lead to a lot less confusion and bad calls on goals. (Sure it still happens in hockey, but not as often as often as I'm seeing in soccer)

The thing is that you can't get rid of offsides without significantly changing how the game is played. And, since that is the case, it will never go away. rReferees just need to pay better attention.

loochy
06-28-2010, 04:24 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

..because they don't want to stop down a soccer game. The whole point is to get up and go. And yes, I know people dive and roll around to stop the play...but that's why everyone hates the diving so much.

I really think that more eyes on the field plus instant radio communication can clear up a LOT of this.

loochy
06-28-2010, 04:26 PM
Anyone else unable to navigate beyond Param's post 3096 in the Official WC thread?

No, I can't either. His little cut and paste job blew up the page.

Param will you please delete or alter your post?

blaise
06-28-2010, 04:27 PM
I don't know why they don't just stop the clock during a substitution or injury instead of adding a sort of random amount of time.

loochy
06-28-2010, 04:28 PM
I don't know why they don't just stop the clock during a substitution or injury instead of adding a sort of random amount of time.

Actually I think this is what the ref does on the field on his watch. I'm not sure about this one though.

Param
06-28-2010, 04:30 PM

Yah, I'm having that problem too. My guess is to quote other posts to move it into the next page?

Param
06-28-2010, 04:33 PM

I can't, it will not let me. I guess that's the last time I post a yahoo article.

Baby Lee
06-28-2010, 04:33 PM
Yah, I'm having that problem too. My guess is to quote other posts to move it into the next page?

Delete the post, or edit it to contain text only.

loochy
06-28-2010, 04:35 PM
Delete the post, or edit it to contain text only.

The bottom of the page won't show the controls for edit, etc...

Param
06-28-2010, 04:38 PM
I think if we quote posts and go into the next page, everything will work?

Stinger
06-28-2010, 04:38 PM

No, I can't either. His little cut and paste job blew up the page.

I can't, it will not let me. I guess that's the last time I post a yahoo article.

http://never-walk-alone.org/Images/red-gr2.jpg

:D

Los Pollos Hermanos
06-28-2010, 04:40 PM
They should play with two balls. With one of the balls being a 2 pt power ball.

MahiMike
06-28-2010, 04:56 PM
Unlimited subs and ELIMINATE OFFSIDES!!!

Param
06-28-2010, 04:57 PM
http://never-walk-alone.org/Images/red-gr2.jpg

http://i50.tinypic.com/f27914.jpg

loochy
06-28-2010, 04:57 PM
How about we change all the rules to be like (american) football!?!?! :rolleyes:

http://i50.tinypic.com/f27914.jpg

LOL wtf is that?

Frankie
06-28-2010, 04:58 PM
I don't see why you should get a free offsides goal. They should have replay on goals. Why do you want more substitutions?

That one is admittedly a very raw idea. Frankly as an ex Soccer player I felt a bit dirty suggesting that. But I thought some more polished version of that might help increase scoring and make it more palpable to Americans.

Frankie
06-28-2010, 04:59 PM
this would be the place to discuss it:

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=228878

Not really. That one is a good thread but it's very general. I wanted to focus on ideas for improvement.

Frankie
06-28-2010, 05:03 PM

I say use the technology for goal line situations only. Even though refs make mistakes, you can't stop down and go over to a video camera for every little foul. Red card situations are often based upon perceived intent, which is a subjective thing for the ref, so a review usually won't help there.

See red. I have already covered that. Thanks for the thoughtful reply tho.

loochy
06-28-2010, 05:04 PM
See red. I have already covered that. Thanks for the thoughtful reply tho.

Sorry. :( I got all excited about posting about something I actually know and care about.

Frankie
06-28-2010, 05:05 PM
What is there to remember? By definition of the law there was no foul there. It was a good call.

The defenders hand was down to his side and he did not move it. The ball hit his hand. He did not hit the ball with his hand.

The law states: Deliberate handling of the ball.

If I remember correctly his hand was not exactly by his side. It changed the direction of an otherwise ingoing ball though.

Frankie
06-28-2010, 05:08 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

This is where the flow of the game issue legitimately comes in. You cannot stop it. However, after a goal is scored or stopped illegally there is a pause anyway. The replay challenge can work there, IMO.

Frankie
06-28-2010, 05:11 PM
Unlimited subs and ELIMINATE OFFSIDES!!!

No.

Spicy McHaggis
06-28-2010, 07:26 PM
B- Maybe having two refs each assigned to half a field?y.

I'm pretty sure this has been experimented with and the issue was that both refs became reluctant to make calls and deferred decisions much too often.

Personally I'm down with goal line technology and a post match review for blatant, repeat divers.

Frankie
06-28-2010, 07:30 PM
I'm pretty sure this has been experimented with and the issue was that both refs became reluctant to make calls and deferred decisions much too often.

Personally I'm down with goal line technology and a post match review for blatant, repeat divers.

In the two ref scenario I was thinking each being assigned to one half of the field reducing their running around and the stress of having to referee an entire game. That said, i just kinda threw that one out for discussion. In reality, FIFA should bring in much better refs especially in the biggest dance of them all. Refereeing in this WC has been atrocious. Amateurish, really.

morphius
06-28-2010, 07:41 PM
The thing is that you can't get rid of offsides without significantly changing how the game is played. And, since that is the case, it will never go away. rReferees just need to pay better attention.
Yeah it would change it, I thought that was the idea of the thread. I believe there are ways to make it work. For example, you could have a rule that nobody on the offense can enter the penalty box before the ball is touched on the offensive side of the field.

Groves
06-28-2010, 08:27 PM

Nothing quite as compelling in all of tv land as soccer played with a neutral zone trap, ugh.

MahiMike
06-28-2010, 08:59 PM
No.

No reason? Why is there any sort of rule regarding subs? It's a well-known fact that off sides is THE most important reason why soccer is hated in the U.S. (as if anyone cared).

Param
06-28-2010, 08:59 PM
Don't count on FIFA to do anything, they banned replays in the stadium.

|Zach|
06-28-2010, 09:08 PM
No reason? Why is there any sort of rule regarding subs? It's a well-known fact that off sides is THE most important reason why soccer is hated in the U.S. (as if anyone cared).

The game wouldn't work without offsides. Why would they have it at all if it wasn't needed.

MahiMike
06-28-2010, 09:19 PM
The game wouldn't work without offsides. Why would they have it at all if it wasn't needed.

Of course it would work. It'd work great. 10-8 games instead of 0-0.

|Zach|
06-28-2010, 09:22 PM

No, the game would be boring and terrible. It would be two teams punting to eachother all day. The game would not flow freely.

Demonpenz
06-28-2010, 10:06 PM
The reaction I have everytime there is a scoring chance is to wait for an offsides call. It overrides my reaction to actually watch the game. God bless the sport, but that is not the reaction you want.

BWillie
06-28-2010, 10:10 PM
I think Fifa should add ice, pads, helmets, cross checking, and an ice rink. Oh wait...

Mr. Laz
06-28-2010, 10:23 PM

unlimited subs would be a great change imo ... just like hockey.

You can sub anytime you want but we aren't stopping the clock. So if you screw up then it's on you.

players could go all out, all the time and it would create more action.

"but that would remove some of the beauty of the game by making stamina a lesser factor /soccersnob"

blaise
06-28-2010, 10:42 PM

The problem is, if you eliminated offsides, some team would start doing some jacked up offense where they just left a player standing down near the other goal the whole game and whenever they got the ball they'd just try and kick it down to him. Same thing as hockey. A team would just have a player stand in front of the crease and then just try and send the puck down to him when they got it in the defensive zone.

milkman
06-28-2010, 10:46 PM
I'm not going to read through this thread because I really don't give a rat's ass about soccer, and am happy that the U.S. lost so that I don't have to listen to hours of soccer talk on sports radio.

However, from what I did hear, FIFA is an arrogant, useless organization that won't hold officials accoutable for their calls in a match, so what they should do is die a horredous death in an Aids/Antifreeze forest fire.

blaise
06-28-2010, 10:58 PM
I'm not going to read through this thread because I really don't give a rat's ass about soccer, and am happy that the U.S. lost so that I don't have to listen to hours of soccer talk on sports radio.

However, from what I did hear, FIFA is an arrogant, useless organization that won't hold officials accoutable for their calls in a match, so what they should do is die a horredous death in an Aids/Antifreeze forest fire.

Yes, I hope they make room for more Royals talk now.

Param
06-28-2010, 10:58 PM

So you did pay attention for all those hours.:D

milkman
06-28-2010, 11:02 PM
So you did pay attention for all those hours.:D

I generally turned it off after a while.

Frankie
06-29-2010, 09:58 AM

This.

Frankie
06-29-2010, 10:01 AM

One of the charms of Soccer is that a goal is so precious. Soccer is a game of anticipation for the viewer. And that's where the excitement lies. You don't wanna turn it into basketball and have cheap but many scores. It works for the type of game that b-ball is but not soccer.

blaise
06-29-2010, 10:08 AM
I just saw a story on yahoo sports that said the FIFA President has now said that he'll take another look at using video replay.

http://g.sports.yahoo.com/soccer/world-cup/news/world-cup-s-best-call-blatter-reconsiders-replay--fbintl_dw-blatter062910.html

Baby Lee
06-29-2010, 10:35 AM

Hold on a GAT DAMMED MINNIT!!!

MM hates something and thinks it's stupid?

Must be Tuesday.

BossChief
06-29-2010, 10:48 AM
How about making the game clock count DOWN.

Frankie
06-29-2010, 02:36 PM
How about making the game clock count DOWN.

Won't make a positive diff. No reason not to keep the tradition there.

WoodDraw
06-29-2010, 02:48 PM
There's nothing soccer fans loves more than listening to suggestions every four years on how to "fix" the game.

blaise
06-29-2010, 02:54 PM
There's nothing soccer fans loves more than listening to suggestions every four years on how to "fix" the game.

I'm pretty sure soccer fans in England and Mexico are a bit more open to suggestions than they were a week ago.
The fake injuries, flopping, and blown goal calls are problems. I don't see why a soccer fan wouldn't want those things fixed in some way.

loochy
06-29-2010, 02:58 PM
I'm pretty sure soccer fans in England and Mexico are a bit more open to suggestions than they were a week ago.
The fake injuries, flopping, and blown goal calls are problems. I don't see why a soccer fan wouldn't want those things fixed in some way.

Yeah, I'm sure they'd love to fix those things.

I'm not so sure they'd be down with a complete remaking of the game's critical rules, such as offsides.

WoodDraw
06-29-2010, 03:10 PM

I was speaking more towards the unlimited substitutions, get rid of offsides, etc. trash.

Diving is a problem, and continues to be. HC Bradley spoke out about it, and I think he's right. FIFA has long resisted any appeals process. The FA has a red card appeals process, despite FIFA's objections, but it's fairly strict.

UEFA tried the retroactive punishment not long ago on a dive by Arsenal's Eduardo. They faced a lot of criticism for the randomness of the charge and the double standard.

I'm all for some system that rescinds cards that resulted from a dive, and some retroactive punishment for the diving player. But it needs to be a consistent program.

As for technology, I'm torn. Not having some sort of goal line technology is a disgrace. Whether you want to stick another official to stand at the goal, or use video, I don't care.

I have less enthusiasm for technology on blown calls in the field of play. I don't want to see coach challenges, or have the ref run off to watch video. Perhaps some situations could see it work. I don't know.

Los Pollos Hermanos
06-29-2010, 04:58 PM
Not much discussion on my power ball idea for some reason.

Frankie
06-29-2010, 06:09 PM

Not fix. Improve.

Frankie
06-29-2010, 06:11 PM
Yeah, I'm sure they'd love to fix those things.

I'm not so sure they'd be down with a complete remaking of the game's critical rules, such as offsides.

I really only included the offside suggestion as something I myself was not sold on. Too many posters here have paid more attention to A & B than to 1-5 (The main suggestions).

Bearcat
06-29-2010, 06:36 PM
Get rid of the shootout. Ending a single elimination game with a goal kicking contest where the goalie is left guessing which way to dive before the ball is even kicked is one of the dumbest gimmicks in sports. The game is beautiful and full of subtleties that Americans don't get because they just want to see goals... well, until we move to the brute force portion of the game...

Frankie
06-29-2010, 09:30 PM
Get rid of the shootout. Ending a single elimination game with a goal kicking contest where the goalie is left guessing which way to dive before the ball is even kicked is one of the dumbest gimmicks in sports. The game is beautiful and full of subtleties that Americans don't get because they just want to see goals... well, until we move to the brute force portion of the game...

What other options do they have if not shoot outs? It's way better than a coin toss.

WoodDraw
06-29-2010, 09:58 PM
Not fix. Improve.

Most of these things would do nothing to improve the game though.

Technology and retroactive punishment, whatever. At that point you're dealing with new ways to enforce existing rules. I can debate those, as will any soccer fan.

But unlimited subs? Friendlies are always played with relaxed sub rules and they're normally fucking miserable to watch.

Being able to sub out players and back in? Why? Games would be shit. A team would score a goal, and immediately bunker like we've never seen before.

No offsides? Goalie wars! Although this could help the US, since we enjoy booting the ball to fucking nowhere and hoping someone finds it.

It's nothing against anyone; I can kind of see the reasoning behind these suggestions. But nearly all of them cry out as being from someone that has never watched much soccer, let alone appreciate the game.

Frankie
06-29-2010, 10:05 PM
It's nothing against anyone; I can kind of see the reasoning behind these suggestions. But nearly all of them cry out as being from someone that has never watched much soccer, let alone appreciate the game.

You don't mean the suggestions by the thread starter do you? Because I know for a fact that he HAS played organized soccer (HS, college, and Junior pro team).

loochy
06-29-2010, 10:11 PM
What other options do they have if not shoot outs? It's way better than a coin toss.

Actually I'm a fan of the way we did it in high school. We had a 35 yard dribble up/10 second shoot out 1 on 1 with the keeper. That actually gave the keeper a chance and it was much more entertaining.

WoodDraw
06-29-2010, 10:12 PM
You don't mean the suggestions by the thread starter do you? Because I know for a fact that he HAS played organized soccer (HS, college, and Junior pro team).

I've talked soccer with you before, so I know you love and know the game. My points stand on the merits of the proposals I mentioned though.

Frankie
06-29-2010, 10:26 PM
Please, FIFA, BAN THIS!

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6Xp0B-ibYUg&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6Xp0B-ibYUg&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Mr. Laz
06-29-2010, 10:33 PM
Frankie really doesn't want to know what we think they should fix

he should of included "soccer snobs/non-america opinions only please..."

cuz lets fact it he's doesn't give a rat's ass about the regular man opinion only people who want to "maintain the beauty of the game"

oh please ........

Frankie
06-30-2010, 09:40 AM
Frankie really doesn't want to know what we think they should fix

he should of included "soccer snobs/non-america opinions only please..."

cuz lets fact it he's doesn't give a rat's ass about the regular man opinion only people who want to "maintain the beauty of the game"

oh please ........

Ouch, Laz. Why?! You, of all people. :)

ct
06-30-2010, 10:15 AM

Discuss away.

Kinda late, but here goes...

I agree with extra sub in OT, but NOT unlimited subs at halftime or free flowing subs in game via Hockey. Call me soccersnob if you like, but the long duration stamina is too integral to what this game is about.

Video technogoly is a MUST in some form, but nothing like NFL replay stoppages, that will not work. I suggest a 'booth' official to do the replays in game, similar to final 2 minutes in NFL, but they must be short. A short pause on the field for key moments only, like close calls on goals, offsides, corner/goal kick decisions, inside/outside penalty area fouls would be accaptable for booth reviews. I mean look at how much time is wasted for fake injuries at various points in the game? Allowing 30 seconds for a booth review would be ok.

Speaking of fake injuries and flopping, I think the refs should call a foul as they deem them to occur, then resume play. Meanwhile, similar to baseball scoring, the booth official reviews the severity and issues, post-event and in-game, a yellow/red card, which is then announced via PA speaker. Further, if the booth official deems a flop has occured, issue a yellow card or warning to that player, just as if they had committed a foul. Of course if this occurs at an aforementioned critical point, e.g. penalty box foul, then it should be quickly reviewed immediately.

For goal line disputes the cyclopse thing from tennis for foot faults works pretty well.

Do NOT change offsides, at all. Just devise a better method to catch and/or correct the calls using video, and also leads to...

I like the 2nd side ref on either half. Interesting point somebody made with the EPL who tried and found the refs were even more hesitant, have to train well to overcome that, not sure how. Perhaps one side ref purposely stays back line of defense all game, and specifically focuses on offside traps/alignments.

Lookin forward to the Qtrs, some incredible matchups! Two of these matchups could very well be World Cup finals.

Frankie
06-30-2010, 10:36 AM
I agree with extra sub in OT, but NOT unlimited subs at halftime or free flowing subs in game via Hockey. Call me soccersnob if you like, but the long duration stamina is too integral to what this game is about.Your point about stamina is well taken. But the upside of the halftime subbing is that the games going into overtime will feature fresher legs and less drop of play quality. Also it allows more reserves to have a chance to play and be viable in the game instead of just sitting on the bench.

Speaking of fake injuries and flopping, I think the refs should call a foul as they deem them to occur, then resume play. Meanwhile, similar to baseball scoring, the booth official reviews the severity and issues, post-event and in-game, a yellow/red card, which is then announced via PA speaker. Further, if the booth official deems a flop has occured, issue a yellow card or warning to that player, just as if they had committed a foul. Of course if this occurs at an aforementioned critical point, e.g. penalty box foul, then it should be quickly reviewed immediately.What do you think about post game red carding of the offender based on official review of the tapes. This should pretty much scare players from taking dives and acting.

Do NOT change offsides, at all. Just devise a better method to catch and/or correct the calls using video, and also leads to...I'm actually totally down with that.

I like the 2nd side ref on either half. Interesting point somebody made with the EPL who tried and found the refs were even more hesitant, have to train well to overcome that, not sure how. Perhaps one side ref purposely stays back line of defense all game, and specifically focuses on offside traps/alignments.
Bottom line is better trained refs should be brought in. These refs seem like a bunch of amateurs.

DJJasonp
06-30-2010, 11:01 AM
sorry if mentioned previously....but this topic always fires me up....so here it goes:

You must change the timekeeping....start at 90 minutes...count down to 45 for half....down to zero for end of game.

Here's a novel idea....when it hits 45 and zero, it's over. No more "the ref is the only person in the world who knows when the game is over" bs!

Now...you must stop the clock when:

Ball goes out of bounds
Ball goes over end line
Fouls
Injuries

This solves 90% of the bullsh*t flopping, faking of injuries, etc.

You start the clock again when the ball is put back in play (goal kick, corners, restarts, etc.).

This would eliminate almost all reasons for players to fake injuries, etc. (most of those - outside of the box - are to waste time).....since the clock is stopped, you can roll around on the ground like a pansy all day....still not going to waste "game time".

I remember a year or so ago in a WC qualifier...US vs (Honduras maybe??)....where the goalie rolled around on the ground in "agony" for what had to be about 10 minutes or so....injury time added? 4 minutes...ridiculous!

Stopping the clock also stops the 2-minute trot to the sidelines for the team that's ahead...when they substitute players. Also would prevent wasting time on throw-ins, goal kicks, etc.

And...by stopping the clock each time I mentioned above....players would have to be in greater shape since they'd have to play a true 90 minutes....which might be another incentive to not waste time faking injuries, etc.

For the faking in the box, etc. that still would occur......go back and fine and suspend players.

The suspension is what will hurt the player/team the most.

penguinz
06-30-2010, 11:33 AM
Perhaps one side ref purposely stays back line of defense all game, and specifically focuses on offside traps/alignments.
That already is the primary responsibility of the AR's. Their positioning is supposed to always be the second to last defender or the ball (whichever is closest to the goal).

You can not have two officials on the field of play. It just would not work. Not all officials see fouls the same so the allowed play would be different depending on what side of the half line you happen to be on.

As far as flops... This needs to be addressed and taken care of. After each match the officials already have to sit and watch the game they just ref'd in its entirety as part of their review. FIFA should have them also note anything that seems suspect and submit it for review from the offices. Then fines/suspensions handed out.

The running clock is fine. Substitutions are fine. I could see maybe adding an additional sub for OT.

ct
06-30-2010, 12:34 PM
What do you think about post game red carding of the offender based on official review of the tapes. This should pretty much scare players from taking dives and acting.

That's what the in-game booth review is for, must more impactful penalty to occur same game than next game.

Didn't really discuss this, but the video technology is only going to work in the environments that can afford it. Your lower level dirt field clubs are not going to have access to this, so you're really only talking the very elite leagues and tournaments.

penguinz
06-30-2010, 03:47 PM
Larrionda, Rosetti left off Cup list

JOHANNESBURG -- Uruguay's Jorge Larrionda and Italy's Roberto Rosetti, whose blunders have prompted FIFA to rethink using video technology, have been left off the list of referees for the rest of the World Cup.Larrionda failed to see an England shot cross the line in a 4-1 loss to Germany, and Rosetti wrongly awarded a goal to Argentina's Carlos Tevez (http://soccernet.espn.go.com/player/_/id/72490) against Mexico when he was offside.
Without giving reasons, FIFA announced the cut Tuesday.
Two more left out were Koman Coulibaly of Mali, who disallowed a third United States goal in a 2-2 draw with Slovenia, and French ref Stephane Lannoy, who harshly sent off Brazil's Kaka for a second yellow after Ivory Coast's Kader Keita (http://soccernet.espn.go.com/player/_/id/71559) ran into him while going for the ball.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-cup/story/_/id/5340136/ce/us/referees-botched-calls-removed-world-cup-list?cc=5901&ver=us

Mr. Laz
06-30-2010, 03:49 PM
Ouch, Laz. Why?! You, of all people. :):):D

http://adtudo.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/hug.jpg

CoMoChief
06-30-2010, 04:27 PM
How about they not televise the WC in the USA.

Pants
06-30-2010, 04:45 PM

Why does it bother you so much?

blaise
06-30-2010, 04:47 PM

Probably because it sells advertising.

Los Pollos Hermanos
06-30-2010, 04:48 PM
I enjoyed the WC but how does ABC/ESPN make money only selling ads for halftime?

Slainte
06-30-2010, 04:48 PM
Clone David Villa...,

loochy
06-30-2010, 04:49 PM
I enjoyed the WC but how does ABC/ESPN make money only selling ads for halftime?

Have you seen the field? The adversitements are posted up all over the field.

Los Pollos Hermanos
06-30-2010, 04:54 PM
Have you seen the field? The adversitements are posted up all over the field.

I kind of block out all the ads on the sidelines.

I assumed ABC only got commercial money and FIFA got the ad money from the signs on the field.

penguinz
07-01-2010, 12:38 PM
I kind of block out all the ads on the sidelines.

I assumed ABC only got commercial money and FIFA got the ad money from the signs on the field.There is always a brands logo below the clock.

Los Pollos Hermanos
03-09-2011, 02:08 PM
Alright, I've decided to go all in on being a soccer fan. Part of the problem is that I've never had a team to root for. Well, I've picked a Premier League to cheer for and I've got a free month of Fox Soccer Plus on DirecTV. I'm all set.

Pants
03-09-2011, 02:16 PM
Alright, I've decided to go all in on being a soccer fan. Part of the problem is that I've never had a team to root for. Well, I've picked a Premier League to cheer for and I've got a free month of Fox Soccer Plus on DirecTV. I'm all set.

Time Warner added FSC to their standard line up.

http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2010/4/14/129157560493033650.gif

Los Pollos Hermanos
03-09-2011, 02:26 PM
Time Warner added FSC to their standard line up.

http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2010/4/14/129157560493033650.gif

FSC is part of the Sports package for DTV. But FS Plus is a premium channel.

Pants
03-09-2011, 02:29 PM
FSC is part of the Sports package for DTV. But FS Plus is a premium channel.

Yeah, FSC used to be a part of the sports package, but a couple of weeks ago, TW changed it to their standard tier. I can watch the Champions League at my girl's place now!