PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Brisket Marinade???

petegz28
06-28-2010, 12:16 PM
Ok, I am taking on the challenge of smoking a brisket on the grill this week. It is a big brisket. Anyhow, anyone have ideas on what to use for a marinade?

Mom always used red wine vinegar but something else has to go in the marinade. It just has too.

CoMoChief
06-28-2010, 12:20 PM
A1.

sincerely,
Chiefsplanet

Toadkiller
06-28-2010, 12:26 PM
mix some apple juice and a bit of a1
Do you have a whole brisket, both the flat and point and if so are you going to make burnt ends?

Bill Lundberg
06-28-2010, 12:28 PM
http://chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=6843352&postcount=36

petegz28
06-28-2010, 12:32 PM
mix some apple juice and a bit of a1
Do you have a whole brisket, both the flat and point and if so are you going to make burnt ends?

Just the flat, I think. Brisket is new territory for me.

RJ
06-28-2010, 12:34 PM
Personally, I would use a dry rub over a marinade if you're smoking.

Why are you thinking marinade?

Bill Lundberg
06-28-2010, 12:35 PM
Personally, I would use a dry rub over a marinade if you're smoking.

Why are you thinking marinade?

I marinade overnight then put a dry rub on and let it set for 4 hours with the rub before throwing it on the smoker.

RJ
06-28-2010, 12:44 PM
I marinade overnight then put a dry rub on and let it set for 4 hours with the rub before throwing it on the smoker.

Interesting, I've never tried doing both. You marinade recipe looks damn good.

Simply Red
06-28-2010, 12:46 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't vary at all. Follow precisely. This is a money recipe... Trust me:

5# brisket
1.5 cans of beer
1/2 teaspoon of celery seed
1 tablespoon of garlic powder
1 teaspoon of liquid smoke
1 tablespoon of kosher salt

Proceedure:

Put brisket in baking dish
pour beer over brisk.
pour liq. smk over brisk.
dust roast with all remaining dry ingredients

Cover tightly with foil. Bake on 335 one hour per pound.
add 30 minutes at 300.
pull out and let rest for 20 minutes.
slice.
pour remaining juices in mixing bowl and whisk in favorite BBQ sauce(sauce will be fairly loose) poor over sliced meat return to oven
250 ten minutes or so.

Drizzle results lightly with pure bbq sauce.

RJ
06-28-2010, 12:48 PM
Ok, I am taking on the challenge of smoking a brisket on the grill this week. It is a big brisket. Anyhow, anyone have ideas on what to use for a marinade?

Mom always used red wine vinegar but something else has to go in the marinade. It just has too.

BTW - are you using a grill or a smoker?

Fish
06-28-2010, 12:48 PM
Why would you marinate something that's going to be smoked?

tooge
06-28-2010, 12:50 PM
Dont marinate it. Rub it then inject it with beef stock or inject it with some other marinade you make that isn't overpowering. A good one is equal parts water, apple juice, and soy sauce, then about a third of the others worshteshire. I have never found marinating to do much for brisket though.

Baby Lee
06-28-2010, 12:56 PM
Claude's Brisket Marinade Sauce.

Believe me, livened up every beef cut I've ever applied it to.

http://www.claudessauces.com/p_claudes_brisket_sauce.html

Available at the WalMarts.

petegz28
06-28-2010, 12:57 PM
BTW - are you using a grill or a smoker?

grill

RJ
06-28-2010, 01:00 PM
Dont marinate it. Rub it then inject it with beef stock or inject it with some other marinade you make that isn't overpowering. A good one is equal parts water, apple juice, and soy sauce, then about a third of the others worshteshire. I have never found marinating to do much for brisket though.

I use a marinade when I do one in the oven because I'm going for a different flavor. On the smoker I don't really see the point.

RJ
06-28-2010, 01:00 PM
grill

Do you know how big the brisket is?

petegz28
06-28-2010, 01:04 PM
Do you know how big the brisket is?

yep, just over 5 lbs

tooge
06-28-2010, 01:04 PM
I use a marinade when I do one in the oven because I'm going for a different flavor. On the smoker I don't really see the point.

I agree with you, but I've never done one in the oven. I would still probably rub it and inject in rather than marinade it though.

RJ
06-28-2010, 01:09 PM
yep, just over 5 lbs

Okay, I'm going to try to find a Steve Raichlen recipe for a small smoked brisket using a grill. You use a rub and smoke it in a foil pan. I've done it and it works great. It's from his How to Grill, which is a great book.

Are you using a Weber type charcoal grill?

petegz28
06-28-2010, 01:14 PM
Okay, I'm going to try to find a Steve Raichlen recipe for a small smoked brisket using a grill. You use a rub and smoke it in a foil pan. I've done it and it works great. It's from his How to Grill, which is a great book.

yes sir

RJ
06-28-2010, 01:24 PM
yes sir

Cool, then this will work great. The foil pan is to keep the brisket from being too dry, which a smaller cut like that would do over a long cook. I've used this recipe or some variation a few times and always had success.

http://network.nationalpost.com/NP/blogs/theappetizer/archive/2010/05/15/recipe-barbecued-brisket.aspx

tooge
06-28-2010, 01:32 PM

injecting all the liquid that forms in the first few hours in the pan works well also.

petegz28
06-28-2010, 01:42 PM
Cool, then this will work great. The foil pan is to keep the brisket from being too dry, which a smaller cut like that would do over a long cook. I've used this recipe or some variation a few times and always had success.

http://network.nationalpost.com/NP/blogs/theappetizer/archive/2010/05/15/recipe-barbecued-brisket.aspx

Thanks RJ

RJ
06-28-2010, 02:16 PM
injecting all the liquid that forms in the first few hours in the pan works well also.

Oh, hell yeah. I know that would be good cause I usually use that liquid for basting and then later I skim the fat and add it to my sauce. Tasty stuff that drips down in that pan. I'll file that away for future reference.

Simply Red
06-28-2010, 02:32 PM
Thanks RJ

you didn't thank me....

http://i50.tinypic.com/2aabj3m.jpg

petegz28
06-28-2010, 02:34 PM
you didn't thank me....

Sorry, SR. My deepest and sincerest apologies. Thanks for the recipe! :D