PDA

View Full Version : Computers I'm seriously starting to hate having a computer

OnTheWarpath58
06-28-2010, 02:24 PM
Christ, I'm going to need my own forum here pretty soon. Sorry for being such a tech-idiot, but I need help, AGAIN.

So it appears that with the help of several fine folks here at CP, the virus issue (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=230000) had been resolved. Thanks to all of you who lended a hand - it is MUCH appreciated.

I was able to procure an upgrade disk for W7 through the university I attend, and need some help with the upgrade.

I'm currently running Vista Home Premium, and the university sold me W7 Professional. I've found out that you have to do a "clean install" to go from VHP to W7P.

What's a "clean install," what do I need to do, and how big of a PITA is this going to be for someone with little tech knowledge?

Is W7 worth the potential headache?

Thanks for any advice/help you can give, and fuck Bill Gates right in the ass.

petegz28
06-28-2010, 02:27 PM
Clean install means you need to wipe the drive totally then install W7. I would back up all of your data and programs. Make sure you can have the media or can get the media to re-install everything you use.

Back everything up to DVD or another hard drive
When you install W7 format the drive and let it install
Once that is done you can copy down your data and re-install the programs

Is it worth it? Meh

I have Xp Pro still running on one machine, Vista Home Premium 64 bit on another and W7 on my laptop. Really unless you are just bored, upgradind to W7 is not THAT big of a deal

OnTheWarpath58
06-28-2010, 02:35 PM
Clean install means you need to wipe the drive totally then install W7. I would back up all of your data and programs. Make sure you can have the media or can get the media to re-install everything you use.

Back everything up to DVD or another hard drive
When you install W7 format the drive and let it install
Once that is done you can copy down your data and re-install the programs

Is it worth it? Meh

I have Xp Pro still running on one machine, Vista Home Premium 64 bit on another and W7 on my laptop. Really unless you are just bored, upgradind to W7 is not THAT big of a deal

So 7's not superior to Vista?

And when you say "backup everything" you mean just my files, right? Not the entire c:\ drive?

FWIW, I have a 500GB external HD, so I'd back up to that.

Fritz88
06-28-2010, 02:40 PM

And when you say "backup everything" you mean just my files, right? Not the entire c:\ drive?

Weird. Usually you can upgrade if you have two legit versions of Windows. However, with the problems with Vista and fucked up it is, I am not surprised if you needed a clean install.

If I had to choose between and upgrade and a clean install, I would take the latter.

petegz28
06-28-2010, 02:41 PM

Yeah, just your files and data, music, etc. You don't need to back up the entire hard drive.

Is W7 superior? Maybe in some ways. It's a little faster at boot time but for all intents and purposes I would say there isn't a huge advantage to upgrading. In fact I myself find W7 a little more cumbersome for the things I like to do. I'm sure someone will jump in here and give you all the reasons in the world to upgrade. I really haven't seen a need to upgrade the systems I use all the time. W7 came on installed on my laptop which is the only reason why I have it on there.

petegz28
06-28-2010, 02:42 PM
Weird. Usually you can upgrade if you have two legit versions of Windows. However, with the problems with Vista and ****ed up it is, I am not surprised if you needed a clean install.

If I had to choose between and upgrade and a clean install, I would take the latter.

It's requiring a clean install because he is going from a Home version to a Professional version.

petegz28
06-28-2010, 02:43 PM
FTR, is Vista fucked up? I don't care for it. Do I care for W7? Meh. Give me XP over all of them, personally.

OnTheWarpath58
06-28-2010, 02:46 PM
I just backed up recently, but just to make sure I didn't miss something, would you recommend using Windows Easy Transfer?

Fritz88
06-28-2010, 02:48 PM
FTR, is Vista ****ed up? I don't care for it. Do I care for W7? Meh. Give me XP over all of them, personally.

I have XP and I value it. I got W7 64 bit pro on my latest PC based on recommendations from friends in my work place (software development).

It's been a pleasant upgrade for me. I am liking all the new widgets and additions they have (not much you'd notice if you have been using Vista).

Aight not going to Hijack the dude's thread :)

petegz28
06-28-2010, 02:49 PM
I just backed up recently, but just to make sure I didn't miss something, would you recommend using Windows Easy Transfer?

Never used it. I back up all my stuff manually for the most part. I think Easy Transfer is supposed to be used between two computers though.

petegz28
06-28-2010, 02:51 PM
If you want to use Windows to do your backup, go to Acccesories and use the Windows Backup. But if I were you I would manually copy the stuff to your external drive.

Fish
06-28-2010, 02:52 PM
Clean install require you to reinstall all your programs though...

Lzen
06-28-2010, 02:54 PM
Just curious but why don't you just use Windows Explorer to transfer the files?

OnTheWarpath58
06-28-2010, 02:56 PM
Clean install require you to reinstall all your programs though...

Right.

Which means I'd lose "some" of my software. Wink, wink, nudge nudge.

I have a 500GB hard drive in my PC, and have almost 300GB free. How hard would it be to just create another partition? and have the ability to dual boot - then I could use W7 for daily use, and VHP only when I had to because I needed to use that specific "other" software?

Or is that an even bigger nightmare?

OnTheWarpath58
06-28-2010, 02:57 PM
Just curious but why don't you just use Windows Explorer to transfer the files?

That would require me knowing what Windows Explorer is, and does.

I'm telling you, an infant knows more about computers than I do.

petegz28
06-28-2010, 02:59 PM
Right.

I have a 500GB hard drive in my PC, and have almost 300GB free. How hard would it be to just create another partition? and have the ability to dual boot - then I could use W7 for daily use, and VHP only when I had to because I needed to use that specific "other" software?

You could do that. Get something like Partition magic and have at it.

Fish
06-28-2010, 03:00 PM
Easy Transfer would probably be a good idea. But you'll still need to reinstall all your apps. Easy Transfer takes care of all your data and settings, but won't touch your installed apps.

Win7 Ultimate or Win7 Home is the only version that will allow you to go from Vista Home to Win7.

Never ever get the Home version of a Windows OS.... Might as well label it the Windows Retard version, cause it's crippled and doesn't allow for easy migration or upgrade. Forcing those that don't know any better to spend additional money.

OnTheWarpath58
06-28-2010, 03:05 PM
Easy Transfer would probably be a good idea. But you'll still need to reinstall all your apps. Easy Transfer takes care of all your data and settings, but won't touch your installed apps.

Win7 Ultimate or Win7 Home is the only version that will allow you to go from Vista Home to Win7.

Never ever get the Home version of a Windows OS.... Might as well label it the Windows Retard version, cause it's crippled and doesn't allow for easy migration or upgrade. Forcing those that don't know any better to spend additional money.

Well, this retard didn't know that. Thanks, Dell for the great advice!

And when you say installed apps, what exactly are you referring to?

The widgets and shit in the sidebar?

Give me a few examples, if you could.

GOD, I HATE BEING THIS IGNORANT ABOUT SOMETHING.

Fish
06-28-2010, 03:08 PM
Right.

That's quite a task in itself, but definitely possible.

You can repartition the HD using Vista's Disk Management software. Instructions are here: http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10878_11-6170510.html

Then install Win7 on the newly created partition.

Personally, I'd bite the bullet, backup everything, gather up the install discs for all your programs, and do a clean install. I'm sure some friend of yours could provide any software you need but can't find the install discs for. It would be slightly more work, but you'll have a nice new stable system, no hassle of rebooting to switch between OSes because you need one little thing, and plenty of free HD space. I think you'd be much more happy in the long run doing it that way.

Fish
06-28-2010, 03:13 PM

Anything that wasn't on the computer the first day you booted it up.

MS Office
CD/DVD burning software
Photoshop or other Adobe apps
Virus/spyware/malware apps
Flash player
Firefox
iTunes
Media players like VLC, Silverlight
Quicktime
Basically anything you installed yourself.
And you may need to download some device drivers for things like printers, mice, scanners, other toys.

Baby Lee
06-28-2010, 03:18 PM

Anything that isn't the base OS, ie, MS Office, PC games, CAD programs, Photoshop, and if you have any browser other than Explorer you'll need to reinstall it as well. Also, all your hardware drivers and programs [printer, scanner, video card, etc], but the existing database for W7 to automatically set those up with the most up to date drivers is one of it's most impressive aspects. I literally put the DVD in, and 20-30 minutes later had the OS up and running with every peripheral working.

OnTheWarpath58
06-28-2010, 03:20 PM

MS Office
CD/DVD burning software
Flash player
Firefox
iTunes
Quicktime
And you may need to download some device drivers for things like printers, mice, scanners, other toys.

Office was on the rig when it was delivered, but I have the disks. Will they work with 7? I also have the driver disk for my graphics card, as well as a backup driver disk from Dell for the drivers and utilities that were on the rig when delivered.

Otherwise, upon further review, this may be a good opportunity to do some spring cleaning. Really the only software other than Office that I use on a regular basis is:

Itunes
Avast
Malwarebytes
Paint.net
Directv2pc
Spybot
Firefox
Camtasia 7

I'm sure you can tell the software from that list I'm concerned about losing.

I have disks for the following, though I rarely, if ever use them:

Adobe Premier Elements
Photoshop Elements
Adobe Soundbooth
Roxio

OnTheWarpath58
06-28-2010, 03:22 PM
BL's post reminds me:

Is there a way to backup my bookmarks and settings for Firefox?

If so, how?

Baby Lee
06-28-2010, 03:26 PM
Office was on the rig when it was delivered, but I have the disks. Will they work with 7? I also have the driver disk for my graphics card, as well as a backup driver disk from Dell for the drivers and utilities that were on the rig when delivered.
Something as mainstream as a Dell, I'd wager that the installation will give you more UTD drivers than your installation discs.

Office should work with 7, unless it's something from the late 90s or something. I have 2007, and my dad has 2003, and neither had any hiccups.

Can't tell you about Firefox as I'm a Chrome user, but google is your friend.

Fish
06-28-2010, 03:33 PM
BL's post reminds me:

Is there a way to backup my bookmarks and settings for Firefox?

If so, how?

1. Open Firefox.
2. Select Bookmarks > Organize Bookmarks.
3. The Bookmarks Manager opens. Click File > Exportů
4. Save the bookmark.html file wherever you wish.

On new machine, install Firefox. Click File > Import...

OnTheWarpath58
06-28-2010, 03:34 PM
Something as mainstream as a Dell, I'd wager that the installation will give you more UTD drivers than your installation discs.

Office should work with 7, unless it's something from the late 90s or something. I have 2007, and my dad has 2003, and neither had any hiccups.

Can't tell you about Firefox as I'm a Chrome user, but google is your friend.

It's Office Home and Student 2007.

And I found instructions from Mozilla on backing up bookmarks.

OnTheWarpath58
06-28-2010, 03:35 PM
So....

I think I'll take the plunge. Anyone want to either personally give me some direction, or give me a link that tells me how the fuck to do this?

I'm a bit nervous about wiping out my entire HD, considering my level of "expertise."

Baby Lee
06-28-2010, 03:37 PM
So....

I think I'll take the plunge. Anyone want to either personally give me some direction, or give me a link that tells me how the fuck to do this?

I'm a bit nervous about wiping out my entire HD, considering my level of "expertise."

Do you have extra/external HDs, or just the one? Partitioning is probably the most technical thing you'll be doing.

If have an extra drive and have everything you'll ever want off the primary drive and on to it, W7 should take care of everything including formatting the primary drive.

Also, if partitioning with anything older than W7, you need to let W7 do the formatting, although both programs may be NTFS, W7's NTFS is just slightly different and your OS won't install properly on an older NTFS [I found out the hard way, not hard as in catastrophic, but hard as in to diagnose the problem].

Fish
06-28-2010, 03:37 PM
A clean install is really the way to go when you can. Especially considering recent problems with the Vista install. That will guarantee that none of those problems will be dragged along into the upgrade and cause problems with the new version. No matter how careful you are, doing an upgrade between OSes is messy and can create problems. Clean install is just that.. "Clean"....

OnTheWarpath58
06-28-2010, 03:45 PM
A clean install is really the way to go when you can. Especially considering recent problems with the Vista install. That will guarantee that none of those problems will be dragged along into the upgrade and cause problems with the new version. No matter how careful you are, doing an upgrade between OSes is messy and can create problems. Clean install is just that.. "Clean"....

Ok, so once I have all my documents, videos, pictures, bookmarks and files backed up to the external HD, how do I "clean" the HD and start the W7 install?

Baby Lee
06-28-2010, 04:03 PM
Ok, so once I have all my documents, videos, pictures, bookmarks and files backed up to the external HD, how do I "clean" the HD and start the W7 install?

If it's indeed an entire HD, just let W7 take care of it. It'll ask if you want to upgrade or clean install, once you indicate clean it'll ask you where you want it, if you select the primary drive, it'll ask if you want to format, click Y and off it goes.

Oh, and I almost forgot, if you had a broadband cable modem that stores your connection info on the modem itself, it'll even setup your internet connection in the course of installation, so you'll have net access immediately on installation, and can proceed straight to updates.

OnTheWarpath58
06-28-2010, 04:09 PM
If it's indeed an entire HD, just let W7 take care of it. It'll ask if you want to upgrade or clean install, once you indicate clean it'll ask you where you want it, if you select the primary drive, it'll ask if you want to format, click Y and off it goes.

Oh, and I almost forgot, if you had a broadband cable modem that stores your connection info on the modem itself, it'll even setup your internet connection in the course of installation, so you'll have net access immediately on installation, and can proceed straight to updates.

So to make sure I'm understanding correctly:

I'm guessing I'll need to run the W7 disk from boot, correct?

If so, what do I need to do to make sure the disk is recognized before the system boots Vista - or will it do it automatically?

Next, I have no idea if my modem stores the connection info or not. I have a ATT 2Wire 2701HG-B. Guess I'm off to Google again.

Also, I'm assuming I should turn off all of my peripherals other than keyboard/mouse, or can I leave my printer on? It's connected via WiFi.

Baby Lee
06-28-2010, 04:13 PM
So to make sure I'm understanding correctly:

I'm guessing I'll need to run the W7 disk from boot, correct?

If so, what do I need to do to make sure the disk is recognized before the system boots Vista - or will it do it automatically?

Next, I have no idea if my modem stores the connection info or not. I have a ATT 2Wire 2701HG-B. Guess I'm off to Google again.

Also, I'm assuming I should turn off all of my peripherals other than keyboard/mouse, or can I leave my printer on? It's connected via WiFi.

Leave everything on. that way everything W7 recognizes will get UTD drivers. If it doesn't recognize something, it'll at least know there's something out there it doesn't recognize and you can then help ID it.

To boot from DVD, select it as the first boot device [priority over your HD] in BIOS. To get to BIOS, there should be some info on the screen when you turn the PC on, ie 'press F8 to enter BIOS' or 'press ESC to edit system settings.'

Might need to drag out the manual to find out where you change boot priority.

OnTheWarpath58
06-28-2010, 04:26 PM
Leave everything on. that way everything W7 recognizes will get UTD drivers. If it doesn't recognize something, it'll at least know there's something out there it doesn't recognize and you can then help ID it.

To boot from DVD, select it as the first boot device [priority over your HD] in BIOS. To get to BIOS, there should be some info on the screen when you turn the PC on, ie 'press F8 to enter BIOS' or 'press ESC to edit system settings.'

Might need to drag out the manual to find out where you change boot priority.

Looks like I can hit F2 and get into setup, and then change the priority to onboard DVD drive.

I think I'm going to sit tight for tonight - I have tomorrow off, and would rather do this then, instead of wasting the night I could be spending with my wife.

Sounds like the re-installation of things like ITunes, Avast, etc will be the bigger issue - as far as time consumption is concerned.

Sure-Oz
06-28-2010, 04:28 PM
Christ, I'm going to need my own forum here pretty soon. Sorry for being such a tech-idiot, but I need help, AGAIN.

So it appears that with the help of several fine folks here at CP, the virus issue (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=230000) had been resolved. Thanks to all of you who lended a hand - it is MUCH appreciated.

I was able to procure an upgrade disk for W7 through the university I attend, and need some help with the upgrade.

I'm currently running Vista Home Premium, and the university sold me W7 Professional. I've found out that you have to do a "clean install" to go from VHP to W7P.

What's a "clean install," what do I need to do, and how big of a PITA is this going to be for someone with little tech knowledge?

Is W7 worth the potential headache?

Thanks for any advice/help you can give, and **** Bill Gates right in the ass.

I'm glad to hear you were able to get it resolved. Last night i had to help my sisters bf cleanup his pc. I was able to after about 3 hours get his system back up and to normal. Found several malware, trojans etc. Malwarebytes killed it and so did avast and spybot s&d. He had some stupid virus program blocking everything (which was malware) and not letting me open a single program, but i was able to get in with safe mode w/networking. The Malwarebytes scan took a good hour and a half to complete. But its fixed and he owes me some booze and good food. But anyway i felt your pain even though it wasnt my pc. Glad you are doing good now and hope you get help with w7!

Mr. Flopnuts
06-28-2010, 04:31 PM
I'm computer retarded so feel free to correct me here. But IMO, 7 is a prettier version of Vista.

Fish
06-28-2010, 05:36 PM
I'm computer retarded so feel free to correct me here. But IMO, 7 is a prettier version of Vista.

No... despite the visual similarities, Win7 is very different than Vista. Gigantic improvement over Vista.

Mr. Flopnuts
06-28-2010, 05:36 PM
No... despite the visual similarities, Win7 is very different than Vista. Gigantic improvement.

See? :)

Fish
06-28-2010, 05:44 PM
Looks like I can hit F2 and get into setup, and then change the priority to onboard DVD drive.

I think I'm going to sit tight for tonight - I have tomorrow off, and would rather do this then, instead of wasting the night I could be spending with my wife.

Sounds like the re-installation of things like ITunes, Avast, etc will be the bigger issue - as far as time consumption is concerned.

You can also hit F12 at startup, and it will give you a boot option, in which you can choose which device to boot to. Then you can select the CD/DVD drive.

dirk digler
06-28-2010, 06:01 PM

A clean install is pretty straightforward and you are right installing all the programs will take ALOT longer. It probably takes Win7 about 30-60 minutes to install.

Also I would make sure you have the drivers disk to your PC just in case. Win7 should find all your drivers but you never know. (Drivers = software that makes your hardware work with the OS)

OnTheWarpath58
06-28-2010, 09:11 PM
A clean install is pretty straightforward and you are right installing all the programs will take ALOT longer. It probably takes Win7 about 30-60 minutes to install.

Also I would make sure you have the drivers disk to your PC just in case. Win7 should find all your drivers but you never know. (Drivers = software that makes your hardware work with the OS)

I have all the original disks that shipped with the system, including the drivers disk. So I'm good there. Just not looking forward to re-installing I tunes, especially. It was a PITA when I switched from my old computer to this one, I'd expect nothing less this time.

Fish
06-28-2010, 09:20 PM
I have all the original disks that shipped with the system, including the drivers disk. So I'm good there. Just not looking forward to re-installing I tunes, especially. It was a PITA when I switched from my old computer to this one, I'd expect nothing less this time.

Actually... the original driver disks probably only have drivers for Vista. I doubt it includes Win7 drivers. You'll probably need different drivers for Win7. It might be handy to go out and download Win7 drivers before you upgrade and put them on a flash driver. At the least, I'd download the Win7 driver for your network card first. That's the important one. Once that driver is installed, you'll have internet on the Win7 system and can download the remaining from there. Win7 will probably include drivers for most of your devices, but if you don't have the right network card driver and Win7 doesn't have it built in, you have no internet at all.

iTunes won't be too bad. You'll just install, authorize the new install of iTunes, and sync with your device. If you have music on the hard drive that isn't on your device, you'll have to add the folder where the music is. File\Add music\Choose folder.

OnTheWarpath58
06-28-2010, 09:23 PM
Actually... the original driver disks probably only have drivers for Vista. I doubt it includes Win7 drivers. You'll probably need different drivers for Win7. It might be handy to go out and download Win7 drivers before you upgrade and put them on a flash driver. At the least, I'd download the Win7 driver for your network card first. That's the important one. Once that driver is installed, you'll have internet on the Win7 system and can download the remaining from there.

iTunes won't be too bad. You'll just install, authorize the new install of iTunes, and sync with your device. If you have music on the hard drive that isn't on your device, you'll have to add the folder where the music is. File\Add music\Choose folder.

The music I have on the hard drive that isn't on my iPhone - isn't there because I don't want it to be.

Will that fuck things up, or should I just install, authorize and sync?

dirk digler
06-28-2010, 09:34 PM
Actually... the original driver disks probably only have drivers for Vista. I doubt it includes Win7 drivers. You'll probably need different drivers for Win7. It might be handy to go out and download Win7 drivers before you upgrade and put them on a flash driver. At the least, I'd download the Win7 driver for your network card first. That's the important one. Once that driver is installed, you'll have internet on the Win7 system and can download the remaining from there. Win7 will probably include drivers for most of your devices, but if you don't have the right network card driver and Win7 doesn't have it built in, you have no internet at all.

Fish is absolutely right on this. My main concern was the network card. I doubt Win7 will have any problem with the driver but you never know.

Fish
06-28-2010, 09:44 PM
The music I have on the hard drive that isn't on my iPhone - isn't there because I don't want it to be.

Will that fuck things up, or should I just install, authorize and sync?

You have to back up the music on the hard drive to your external drive. The stuff on the iPhone will be just fine. You can resync the stuff on the iPhone back to the computer after iTunes is installed. But the music on the hard drive will be erased when you do a clean install.

OnTheWarpath58
06-28-2010, 09:48 PM
You have to back up the music on the hard drive to your external drive. The stuff on the iPhone will be just fine. You can resync the stuff on the iPhone back to the computer after iTunes is installed. But the music on the hard drive will be erased when you do a clean install.

Yeah, I've already backed everything up.

Fish
06-28-2010, 09:52 PM
Yeah, I've already backed everything up.

OK. I figured as much, just wanted to make sure that was clear.

pr_capone
06-28-2010, 10:12 PM
I was an XP fanboy. Vista really shook my faith in MS. Win 7 has restored it in spades. You will enjoy Win 7, it is everything that Vista was supposed to be and more.

Guru
06-28-2010, 10:22 PM
XP was solid but is also getting to the point where they will no longer support it. Vista was nice but had several software problems and some hardware conflicts. 7 Is just Vista revamped to what it should have been in the first place. Windows Vista is build 6.0 and Windows 7 is build 6.1, but we are not supposed to notice that.

That being said, I would highly recommend Windows 7 to anyone that hasn't made the jump yet.

QuikSsurfer
06-29-2010, 12:05 AM

MS Office
CD/DVD burning software
Flash player
Firefox
iTunes
Quicktime

www.ninite.com

irishjayhawk
06-29-2010, 02:34 AM
Looks like you're going with clean install. Good. I was hoping that would be what people persuaded you into. Hell, I try a clean install once a year for good measure. Hasn't failed me yet.

Also, Windows 7 >>>>> Vista. But I agree with Pete, XP would be different. Though MS has now dropped support for XP, so that'd be another argument against keeping it.

Guru
06-29-2010, 02:38 AM
Looks like you're going with clean install. Good. I was hoping that would be what people persuaded you into. Hell, I try a clean install once a year for good measure. Hasn't failed me yet.

Also, Windows 7 >>>>> Vista. But I agree with Pete, XP would be different. Though MS has now dropped support for XP, so that'd be another argument against keeping it.They dropped support for XP SP2 but still support SP3 at this point. Won't be long before XP is nothing but a memory though.

patteeu
06-29-2010, 06:21 AM
Tip for the future: I have a folder on my hard drive where I save the install files for any programs I download from the internet including driver updates, shareware, game updates/maps, pirated pirate software, etc. That way, if I need to do a clean re-install, it's relatively easy to copy these install files to a backup disk and have them handy for reinstallation on top of my fresh copy of Windows.

dirk digler
06-29-2010, 07:11 AM
Tip for the future: I have a folder on my hard drive where I save the install files for any programs I download from the internet including driver updates, shareware, game updates/maps, pirated software, etc. That way, if I need to do a clean re-install, it's relatively easy to copy these install files to a backup disk and have them handy for reinstallation after the fresh copy of Windows is layed down.

You have pirated software? OMG my image of you has now changed from a straight arrow to a thief. :)

And quicksurfer thanks for the ninite link that is pretty cool and would make things super easy.

patteeu
06-29-2010, 08:36 AM
You have pirated software? OMG my image of you has now changed from a straight arrow to a thief. :)

And quicksurfer thanks for the ninite link that is pretty cool and would make things super easy.

You must have misunderstood me. ;)

http://akimg.qwapi.com/transcode/t/J8iqLBrjXH5UJibaOY4Ktg

patteeu
06-29-2010, 08:43 AM

Don't forget to save your email address book and any email messages that you want to keep.

Also, write down your email account configuration info (stuff like server names, port numbers, and passwords if you remember them). You can always get this stuff from your ISP if you need to, but if you keep track of it youself it might save some time and hassle.

OnTheWarpath58
06-29-2010, 08:44 AM
Don't forget to save your email address book and any email messages that you want to keep.

Ah, fuck.

I was just getting ready to start - thanks for saving my ass.

Now how the fuck do I do it? Off to Google again, unless someone beats me to it.

EDIT: On second thought, do you mean email contacts and messages through Outlook?

Gmail, Hotmail and Yahoo aren't saved to your computer, are they?

OnTheWarpath58
06-29-2010, 08:49 AM

OK, so how do I find what kind of network card I have so I can find the appropriate drivers to DL before starting?

dirk digler
06-29-2010, 08:55 AM
Ah, fuck.

Now how the fuck do I do it? Off to Google again, unless someone beats me to it.

EDIT: On second thought, do you mean email contacts and messages through Outlook?

He means Outlook or Outlook Express or Thunderbird or whatever local email client you use if you even do.

If you just use web email then no worries.

dirk digler
06-29-2010, 08:58 AM
OK, so how do I find what kind of network card I have so I can find the appropriate drivers to DL before starting?

There is a couple of ways to do that.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windowsvista/f/opendmvista.htm

Once you get to Device Manager expand the Network Adapters and that will show you what Network Card you have.

patteeu
06-29-2010, 09:01 AM
www.ninite.com

Awesome.

patteeu
06-29-2010, 09:03 AM
Ah, ****.

Now how the **** do I do it? Off to Google again, unless someone beats me to it.

Right. If you use web-based email, you're good to go.

OnTheWarpath58
There is a couple of ways to do that.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windowsvista/f/opendmvista.htm

Once you get to Device Manager expand the Network Adapters and that will show you what Network Card you have.

This is what I have, assuming I did what you said correctly:

Intel(R) 82566DC-2 Gigabit Network Connection

That make sense?

OnTheWarpath58
www.ninite.com

I'm all over this.

Thanks.

patteeu
06-29-2010, 09:06 AM
If you use a local program like Outlook for contact info or for keeping a calendar, you need to back that up. If you do this stuff on the web or on your phone, nevermind.

OnTheWarpath58
06-29-2010, 09:14 AM
If you use a local program like Outlook for contact info or for keeping a calendar, you need to back that up. If you do this stuff on the web or on your phone, nevermind.

Nope. Everything is done through web-based programs.

And I (hopefully) just DL'd the network driver to a flash drive. So I should be good to go.

Any last words of advice? I'll post from my laptop from here on out.

dirk digler
06-29-2010, 09:18 AM
Nope. Everything is done through web-based programs.

And I (hopefully) just DL'd the network driver to a flash drive. So I should be good to go.

Any last words of advice? I'll post from my laptop from here on out.

No you should be good. I was about to post how to get the driver but you already figured it out. Great job and good luck!

OnTheWarpath58
06-29-2010, 09:21 AM
And here....we....go.

OnTheWarpath58
06-29-2010, 09:23 AM
Install now, What to know before installing, repair your computer.

If I choose install now, it will give me the options to wipe the drive and start clean, correct?

OnTheWarpath58
06-29-2010, 09:30 AM
OK, it's asking where to install.

I have three options, and I'm assuming the last:

Disk 0 Partition 1 - Type: OEM reserved

Disk 0 Partition 2: Recovery - Type:Primary

Disk 0 Partition 3: OS - Type: System

dirk digler
06-29-2010, 09:33 AM
OK, it's asking where to install.

I have three options, and I'm assuming the last:

Disk 0 Partition 1 - Type: OEM reserved

Disk 0 Partition 2: Recovery - Type:Primary

Disk 0 Partition 3: OS - Type: System

Yes and you do want to wipe clean

OnTheWarpath58
06-29-2010, 09:36 AM
Yes and you do want to wipe clean

It hasn't given me that option, unless it's assumed when you choose a custom install over an upgrade install.

It's installing now.

dirk digler
06-29-2010, 09:51 AM
It hasn't given me that option, unless it's assumed when you choose a custom install over an upgrade install.

It's installing now.

Did you choose custom?

OnTheWarpath58
06-29-2010, 10:03 AM
Did you choose custom?

yep.

Fish
06-29-2010, 10:08 AM
yep.

It copies some files before it will actually format the drive. You might not be to the point where it asks you to format yet.

OnTheWarpath58
06-29-2010, 10:28 AM
It never asked me to format, that I recall.

Anyway, I had instant internet capabilities, and am currently re-installing programs via ninite.com

I'll install Office after that, and then move everything else over from the external.

Fish
06-29-2010, 10:32 AM
Awesome... that's progress...

OnTheWarpath58
06-29-2010, 10:36 AM
Awesome... that's progress...

Yep.

So far, the only thing I've noticed is that my printer (connected via WiFi) isn't working - but that's easily fixable, I'm guessing.

And ninite just finished. That was so ridiculously easy.

FISH: ITunes is now installed, should I sync my iPhone first, or should I transfer the files over from the external first?

patteeu
06-29-2010, 10:39 AM
Good job. When it's all over, you'll be happy with the clean install and surprised at how easy it turned out to be (compared to what you might have feared). Especially since your email/contact stuff is all web based.

Fish
06-29-2010, 10:47 AM
Yep.

So far, the only thing I've noticed is that my printer (connected via WiFi) isn't working - but that's easily fixable, I'm guessing.

And ninite just finished. That was so ridiculously easy.

FISH: ITunes is now installed, should I sync my iPhone first, or should I transfer the files over from the external first?

Doesn't matter with iTunes. There's no real advantage either way. You'll have to authorize the new install of iTunes though. Click Store\Authorize computer.

Pestilence
06-29-2010, 10:49 AM
www.ninite.com

God....I wish I would have known about this earlier.

Mr. Flopnuts
06-29-2010, 10:52 AM
www.ninite.com

I literally JUST got a new laptop this week and haven't downloaded a bunch of stuff yet. Rep!

dirk digler
06-29-2010, 10:57 AM
It never asked me to format, that I recall.

Anyway, I had instant internet capabilities, and am currently re-installing programs via ninite.com

I'll install Office after that, and then move everything else over from the external.

It probably did an upgrade mine did that as well. There is probably Windows.old directory

Fish
06-29-2010, 10:59 AM
It probably did an upgrade mine did that as well. There is probably Windows.old directory

And that's not necessarily a bad thing. You can pull some info from that if you forgot anything. And later when you're content, just delete that directory.

dirk digler
06-29-2010, 11:03 AM
And that's not necessarily a bad thing. You can pull some info from that if you forgot anything. And later when you're content, just delete that directory.

Yep. The only thing that concerned me was if it would cause some performance issues but it hasn't so far.

Fish
06-29-2010, 11:08 AM
Yep. The only thing that concerned me was if it would cause some performance issues but it hasn't so far.

It should have zero effect on any performance. The .old makes it just another random folder on the drive. Windows won't be "looking" at that folder for any info or accessing anything in it.

bevischief
06-29-2010, 11:09 AM
http://mozy.com

Backup everything to online service like Mozy.

dirk digler
06-29-2010, 11:27 AM
It should have zero effect on any performance. The .old makes it just another random folder on the drive. Windows won't be "looking" at that folder for any info or accessing anything in it.

In the past I have always been concerned about leaving past remnants of a Windows OS but you are right it is just another folder now. I haven't really messed with it at all and will probably end up deleting it at some point.

OnTheWarpath58
06-29-2010, 11:32 AM

Yep, it created a windows.old directory.

I'm currently moving over all my files from the external, then I'll tackle the printer issue.

Other than being time consuming, everything (KNOCKING ON WOOD) seems to be going well.

OnTheWarpath58
06-29-2010, 03:28 PM
Looks like everything went as planned.

Thanks to everyone for their help.

Any perks/hints/tips to W7 that I need to know about?