PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV Hulu Plus

irishjayhawk
06-29-2010, 02:14 PM
http://www.hulu.com/plus/devices

$10/month
Works with PS3, 360, Blu-ray players, wifi-TVs, iPhone, and iPad.

So much for Hulu not working on the iPad.

I'm wondering if it's actually worth $10 a month when Netflix is increasing their streaming library fast and has most of the shows already. Season pass, though, might be the dealbreaker, though.

Cave Johnson
06-29-2010, 02:38 PM
http://www.hulu.com/plus/devices

$10/month
Works with PS3, 360, Blu-ray players, wifi-TVs, iPhone, and iTouch Senior Citizen Edition.

So much for Hulu not working on the iTouch Senior Citizen Edition.

I'm wondering if it's actually worth $10 a month when Netflix is increasing their streaming library fast and has most of the shows already. Season pass, though, might be the dealbreaker, though.

Plus - HD

Minus - Launch article only mentions Samsung players. And they're rolling it out on the PS3 before the 360.

http://blog.hulu.com/2010/06/29/introducing-hulu-plus-more-wherever-more-whenever-than-ever/

Fish
06-29-2010, 02:54 PM
That's actually quite tempting.

I'm at the brink of deciding to ditch cable TV and go strictly internet anyway. That could be the deciding factor...

Reaper16
06-29-2010, 02:56 PM
Between this and the ESPN3 coming to consoles, I may not need cable TV soon.

Fish
06-29-2010, 02:59 PM
I have a feeling cable TV providers are going to start losing even more customers if they don't dramatically reduce rates soon. They've been persistently raising rates for some time while ignoring that there are very viable alternatives now that are vastly cheaper. I know a lot of people who are dropping cable and going internet only.

dirk digler
06-29-2010, 03:02 PM
It will be interesting to see how cable companies and ISP's handle all this traffic. You know bandwidth caps are coming which will severely limit streaming.

Silock
06-29-2010, 03:11 PM
So, are there still ads with this monthly payment?

AustinChief
06-29-2010, 03:15 PM
wow that is gonna SUCK for new iphone/att users who constantly hit their b/w cap... but for pre-existing users it's a good deal..

Cave Johnson
06-29-2010, 03:15 PM
I have a feeling cable TV providers are going to start losing even more customers if they don't dramatically reduce rates soon. They've been persistently raising rates for some time while ignoring that there are very viable alternatives now that are vastly cheaper. I know a lot of people who are dropping cable and going internet only.

I cancelled cable like 6-7 months ago and could easily get by on Netflix, Hulu Plus, ESPN3, OTA, and torrents.

The new Iphone app is pretty sweet, btw.

Cave Johnson
06-29-2010, 03:16 PM
So, are there still ads with this monthly payment?

Yup, which is odd.

AustinChief
06-29-2010, 03:17 PM
Yup, which is odd.

basically, you just get HD video and more access to older shows... otherwise it's the same as watching Hulu via flash... but for $10 it drastically increases iOS's viability... still would be useless for someone like me, but I'm a minority.

Cave Johnson
06-29-2010, 03:24 PM
basically, you just get HD video and more access to older shows... otherwise it's the same as watching Hulu via flash... but for $10 it drastically increases iOS's viability... still would be useless for someone like me, but I'm a minority.

HD is big, though. SD Hulu streamed on my 360 looks like garbage.

Silock
06-29-2010, 03:24 PM
Yup, which is odd.

Money-grubbing, not odd.

FUCK that. If I'm paying $10/mo, it better be for ad-free stuff.

PAAAAAAAAAAAASS

Evo is looking better every day.

Fish
06-29-2010, 03:30 PM
Money-grubbing, not odd.

FUCK that. If I'm paying $10/mo, it better be for ad-free stuff.

PAAAAAAAAAAAASS

Evo is looking better every day.

Meh... I pay a lot more for cable, and I'm stuck with ads there too. Much more ads in fact. Commercials take up damn near 1/4 of the programming. I don't mind sitting through a 15/30sec add in hulu.

|Zach|
06-29-2010, 03:40 PM
I would consider it. They have a pretty good selection of shows I like. Being able to catch up with a whole season would be big for me.

gblowfish
06-29-2010, 03:52 PM
A friend of mine just ditched Time Warner for all internet access, plus an HD antenna for local stations. He said the 1080 didn't look too great, had to scale it to 720 and it was passable. Still some bugs to work out, but I agree, cable TV needs to LOWER its rates or go the way of land line phones.

Guru
06-29-2010, 04:04 PM
interesting, they say it only works on the Touch 3rd Gen but my 2nd Gen is pulling it in just fine. Either way, I'm not paying them 10 bucks per month just to get these shows on my touch.

also, with Playon you won't need this service anyway on the PS3, 360 or Wii.

It still annoys me that CBS won't participate in Hulu.

Silock
06-29-2010, 04:36 PM
Meh... I pay a lot more for cable, and I'm stuck with ads there too. Much more ads in fact. Commercials take up damn near 1/4 of the programming. I don't mind sitting through a 15/30sec add in hulu.

I don't watch anything that has a lot of commercials live. I'll just DVR it and skip through them. Can't skip the commercials on Hulu, though.

Fish
06-29-2010, 04:40 PM
I don't watch anything that has a lot of commercials live. I'll just DVR it and skip through them. Can't skip the commercials on Hulu, though.

Unless you have 30 second skip, it's basically the same amount of time. 30 second Hulu commercial vs. fast forwarding through 3 minutes of cable commercials which takes you 30 seconds...

phillip
06-29-2010, 04:52 PM
with Playon you won't need this service anyway on the PS3, 360 or Wii.

HD

Guru
06-29-2010, 05:02 PM
HD

See, I could care less whether it is in HD or not. I only care about watching my movies in HD.

the only way I have to watch a TV show in HD is to watch it live and I don't have the time available to me to do that and I can't get a DVR on my level of cable service. Plus, I refuse to pay Tivo rates for their overpiced tv guide crap.

Bearcat
06-29-2010, 05:59 PM
Looks like a good freemium format... I pay for Pandora because I use it so much and like ad-free (and it's only $36/yr). I use Hulu, but not enough to pay for it... glad I can still catch the most recent episodes of the couple of shows I watch and not have to pay $10/month for it.

That's actually quite tempting.

I'm at the brink of deciding to ditch cable TV and go strictly internet anyway. That could be the deciding factor...

I haven't paid for cable in about 2 years, and I don't miss it at all... I can usually find sports online, and Hulu covers the rest. It's not hooked up at the moment, but I could also use my Slingbox, and I'd try Netflix and other options before going back to cable.

MoreLemonPledge
06-29-2010, 07:03 PM
I just got rid of cable less than a month ago. Netflix, Hulu, and a good old antenna have replaced my cable consumption (which I actually hardly ever used, especially for the price I was paying).

Once this is available on Xbox, I might look into it.

MoreLemonPledge
06-29-2010, 07:04 PM
A friend of mine just ditched Time Warner for all internet access, plus an HD antenna for local stations. He said the 1080 didn't look too great, had to scale it to 720 and it was passable. Still some bugs to work out, but I agree, cable TV needs to LOWER its rates or go the way of land line phones.

Over the air HD actually looks better than the compressed garbage that Time Warner makes you pay for.

irishjayhawk
06-29-2010, 07:10 PM
It will be interesting to see how cable companies and ISP's handle all this traffic. You know bandwidth caps are coming which will severely limit streaming.

This is what I fear. Sad, too, because it was their game to lose.

Caps stifle innovation. Period.

Guru
06-29-2010, 07:11 PM

That is why they want your money.

Mr. Flopnuts
06-29-2010, 08:02 PM
Plus - HD

Minus - Launch article only mentions Samsung players. And they're rolling it out on the PS3 before the 360.

http://blog.hulu.com/2010/06/29/introducing-hulu-plus-more-wherever-more-whenever-than-ever/

That's not a minus. Of course they're launching first on the superior console.

Mr. Flopnuts
06-29-2010, 08:04 PM

I told Comcast that and they literally cut my bill in half. This was just 2 weeks ago.

Reaper16
06-29-2010, 08:07 PM
I told Comcast that and they literally cut my bill in half. This was just 2 weeks ago.
Since I will be under Comcast in a month when I move to 'Bama... I will be telling Comcast the same thing that you did. :evil:

Mr. Flopnuts
06-29-2010, 08:11 PM
Since I will be under Comcast in a month when I move to 'Bama... I will be telling Comcast the same thing that you did. :evil:

You'll get promo rates that are just as good.

Mr. Flopnuts
06-29-2010, 08:15 PM
Who do you have in KC? Time Warner? Listen, all cable companies are the devil, but Comcast is fucking INFINITELY better than the shit hole known as, Time Warner. Welcome to getting the NFL Network for starters.

Reaper16
06-29-2010, 08:24 PM
Who do you have in KC? Time Warner? Listen, all cable companies are the devil, but Comcast is fucking INFINITELY better than the shit hole known as, Time Warner. Welcome to getting the NFL Network for starters.
I live in Excelsior Springs (I know you know where, and how small, that community is). We have one cable option - Mediacom.

dirk digler
06-29-2010, 08:47 PM

Yep kind of like the music industry not caring about selling music online until it was too late.

Silock
06-29-2010, 08:50 PM
Unless you have 30 second skip, it's basically the same amount of time. 30 second Hulu commercial vs. fast forwarding through 3 minutes of cable commercials which takes you 30 seconds...

Nan. Comcast's DVR goes forward at a max pace of 1 min/sec. Takes about 5 seconds to get through the commercials. Not long.

It is more about the principle of the matter, anyway. Why should I have to pay a monthly fee for something I can watch for free over the air, or through my cable provider, or on my computer, and THEN have to deal with ads on top of that? Fuck that noise.

Mr. Flopnuts
06-29-2010, 09:01 PM
I live in Excelsior Springs (I know you know where, and how small, that community is). We have one cable option - Mediacom.

Oh fuck. That's right! A fellow Excelsior homey. Yeah, I don't know then. I've never heard of Mediacom.

Buck
06-29-2010, 09:05 PM
This is unrelated to most everything in this thread, but If you lice in San Diego county you only get one cable company option too. Pretty crazy considering how big it is.

Reaper16
06-29-2010, 09:11 PM
Oh fuck. That's right! A fellow Excelsior homey. Yeah, I don't know then. I've never heard of Mediacom.
The following are the only HD channels that Mediacom provides to Excelsior Springs, MO:

local FOX affiliate
local CBS affiliate
local PBS affiliate
local ABC affiliate
local NBC affiliate
WGN

That's it. It blows.

Mr. Flopnuts
06-29-2010, 09:12 PM
The following are the only HD channels that Mediacom provides to Excelsior Springs, MO:

local FOX affiliate
local CBS affiliate
local PBS affiliate
local ABC affiliate
local NBC affiliate
WGN

That's it. It blows.

Oh, fuck. Comcast has TONS of HD channels. Take a flat screen with you.

Reaper16
06-29-2010, 09:14 PM
Oh, fuck. Comcast has TONS of HD channels. Take a flat screen with you.
No doubt. When I visited Tuscaloosa back in March I was drooling that people had ESPN2 in HD. And by drooling, I mean fapping.

Buck
06-29-2010, 09:16 PM

local FOX affiliate
local CBS affiliate
local PBS affiliate
local ABC affiliate
local NBC affiliate
WGN

That's it. It blows.

He watches Breaking Bad in SD you guys...

CrazyPhuD
06-29-2010, 09:17 PM
So everyone knew this was coming. I have to subscribe for business reasons. Potentially good, BUT, there will be big caveats I'm guessing you'll be restricted till the day after the show again. The HD will be mostly marginal. It's only 720P and will be significantly compressed

But considering it's kinda a mix between regular and expanded cable it's not really a bad deal for $10 a month if you have no cable. And yes, sooner ore later you're going to see bandwidth caps from every major service provider. It's just a requirement there's no way to get around it once streaming video becomes popular enough.

Consider 'basic' quality of 1.5Mb/s which is nothing to write home about. At that level you're using ~700MB per hour or around 5.5GB per day if you use the general 8hrs per household per day. At 20 days per month of watching that's 100GB per month of bandwidth. Now you put 720p and the minimum bit rate is going to probably be 3-4.5Mb/s or 200-300GB per month. Get enough people doing it and it starts to add up big time.

It sucks but it's also a massive bandwidth consumer. Of course this doesn't even touch 1080p bandwidth requirements. If you want bluray quality you need 30-40Mb/s

Fish
06-29-2010, 09:17 PM
Nan. Comcast's DVR goes forward at a max pace of 1 min/sec. Takes about 5 seconds to get through the commercials. Not long.

It is more about the principle of the matter, anyway. Why should I have to pay a monthly fee for something I can watch for free over the air, or through my cable provider, or on my computer, and THEN have to deal with ads on top of that? Fuck that noise.

Nice. Gotta admit that would make a difference then.

For me, it's all financial. I can pay $90 extra for cable HD and DVR. Or pay $10 and still get 98% of what I want to see through hulu and OTA

Reaper16
06-29-2010, 09:20 PM
He watches Breaking Bad in SD you guys...
Yeah, and it doesn't in any way obscure the show's quality. Still, I own the first two seasons on Blu-ray and I will purchase the 3rd season on Blu-ray on release day.

Mr. Flopnuts
06-29-2010, 09:21 PM
No doubt. When I visited Tuscaloosa back in March I was drooling that people had ESPN2 in HD. And by drooling, I mean fapping.

I've found that if I don't drool while I fap, then I chafe.

Silock
06-29-2010, 09:24 PM
Nice. Gotta admit that would make a difference then.

For me, it's all financial. I can pay $90 extra for cable HD and DVR. Or pay $10 and still get 98% of what I want to see through hulu and OTA

Yeah... or you could just torrent everything, which is EXACTLY what I would do if I went away from television services.

Buck
06-29-2010, 09:27 PM
Yeah, and it doesn't in any way obscure the show's quality. Still, I own the first two seasons on Blu-ray and I will purchase the 3rd season on Blu-ray on release day.

I own them on DVD.

Sad Face

QuikSsurfer
06-29-2010, 10:53 PM
I already have netflix...
What's different? We'll be getting iPhone support soon.

Fish
06-30-2010, 07:59 AM

Hulu has many many more TV shows that are a lot more recent than Netflix does. You usually have to wait until the TV show's DVD for the season comes out well after the show has aired before you can watch it on Netflix. With Hulu, you can watch primetime shows the day after they aired in most cases.

Cave Johnson
06-30-2010, 10:01 AM
So everyone knew this was coming. I have to subscribe for business reasons. Potentially good, BUT, there will be big caveats I'm guessing you'll be restricted till the day after the show again. The HD will be mostly marginal. It's only 720P and will be significantly compressed

Compression is my main concern, based on the quality of the current SD streams. I don't have 1080P, so 720 is just fine, as long as it's not compressed to hell.

QuikSsurfer
06-30-2010, 10:57 AM
Hulu has many many more TV shows that are a lot more recent than Netflix does. You usually have to wait until the TV show's DVD for the season comes out well after the show has aired before you can watch it on Netflix. With Hulu, you can watch primetime shows the day after they aired in most cases.

Hmmmmmm

Cave Johnson
06-30-2010, 01:04 PM
That's not a minus. Of course they're launching first on the superior console.

Only if you pony up for PS Plus.

http://kotaku.com/5576022/rumor-hulu-plus-requires-playstation-plus-subscription?skyline=true&s=i

Guru
06-30-2010, 01:38 PM
Only if you pony up for PS Plus.

http://kotaku.com/5576022/rumor-hulu-plus-requires-playstation-plus-subscription?skyline=true&s=i

Ah a double dip. Not surprising though.

Playon FTW

healthpellets
06-30-2010, 06:22 PM

is there an ATT tiered option that would allow you to watch more than one movie a month w/o busting your cap?

WilliamTheIrish
07-01-2010, 08:57 AM

I will then be FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Guru
07-01-2010, 02:26 PM
I get a kick out of them not allowing you to watch Hulu on devices other than a computer unless you pay the 10 bucks per month though. PS3 and Iphone require you to have the 10 buck option to use those devices with this service. You would think they would still allow them to get basic Hulu for free on those devices. It still cracks me up that even though you pay for the monthly service you still get the ads.

Check the ratings on the iphone app. It is getting blasted.