PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs OT: Kansas Department of Revenue

jaa1025
06-29-2010, 03:34 PM
So, I received a letter in the mail today stating that I didn't correctly file my K-40 (Kansas form) by leaving out my KPERS retirement off the form. How is this? I E File with Taxslayer and it does everything for me so I don't screw it up. I seem to have this problem EVERY single year and I made sure my W-2's we're entered in correctly...double, triple, quadruple checked. I've filed with H&R block and Taxslayer in the past...doesn't matter, they always send me a letter saying I owe more money.

Is Kansas DOR that jacked up or something wrong with Tax Slayer and H&R Block?

1moreTRich
06-29-2010, 03:51 PM
So, I received a letter in the mail today stating that I didn't correctly file my K-40 (Kansas form) by leaving out my KPERS retirement off the form. How is this? I E File with Taxslayer and it does everything for me so I don't screw it up. I seem to have this problem EVERY single year and I made sure my W-2's we're entered in correctly...double, triple, quadruple checked. I've filed with H&R block and Taxslayer in the past...doesn't matter, they always send me a letter saying I owe more money.

Unlike other retirement plans such as a 401k, payments that you make to KPERS are taxable for Kansas income while they are not taxable to your Federal income. When you retire and start receiving your KPERs pension it will not be taxable to Kansas. Kind of like the way a Roth IRA is for Federal income tax purposes.

When you fill out your return through turbo tax or whatever, the amount in your federal wages box (usually box 1) is gonna be different than your KS wages (this is the box a few to the left of where you find your kansas withholdings). You have to be sure to put that KS wages in so you include those KPERs payments in your kansas return.

I'm sure that is about clear as mud, but in summary payments to a KPERs retirement plan are still considered income for Kansas purposes and when you are filling out your Kansas return I am guessing you are just putting in your Federal wages and not adding back those KPERs payments. Feel free to ask any additional questions, I will do my best to answer.

Bugeater
06-29-2010, 03:51 PM
http://www.terrymcfall.com/images/monopoly-go-to-jail-card.jpg

kstater
06-29-2010, 04:11 PM
. How is this? I E File with Taxslayer and it does everything for me so I don't screw it up. I seem to have this problem EVERY single year.

Yes, it's the States' fault that you rely on a program that auto-fills your form that you've had problems in the past and yet haven't taken measures to correct.

BWillie
06-29-2010, 04:15 PM
Audited! Snap.

That sucks man. Best of luck

Guru
06-29-2010, 04:29 PM
Use Taxact and you won't have that problem. I use Taxact to see what my State return should be then I go fill it out myself on the State website free online tax form they have. As long as both match, I am golden. Taxact NEVER forgets to ask you for your KPERS amounts so the only way you can screw it up is if you ignore it.

bevischief
06-29-2010, 04:35 PM
you are f@#$#d...

Lzen
06-29-2010, 04:52 PM
So, out of curiosity I ask how much you guys pay for those tax software programs?

Guru
06-29-2010, 04:59 PM
So, out of curiosity I ask how much you guys pay for those tax software programs?

Taxact is free for federal and $15 for state. I don't file state through them though. I just use their service to verify what my numbers should be then match it all up on the State of KS webtax filing tool.

Doesn't cost me one cent and it is always correct.

ArrowheadHawk
06-29-2010, 05:10 PM
Taxact is free for federal and $15 for state. I don't file state through them though. I just use their service to verify what my numbers should be then match it all up on the State of KS webtax filing tool.

Doesn't cost me one cent and it is always correct.

The price is right.
Posted via Mobile Device

RedNFeisty
06-29-2010, 05:19 PM
Unlike other retirement plans such as a 401k, payments that you make to KPERS are taxable for Kansas income while they are not taxable to your Federal income. When you retire and start receiving your KPERs pension it will not be taxable to Kansas. Kind of like the way a Roth IRA is for Federal income tax purposes.

When you fill out your return through turbo tax or whatever, the amount in your federal wages box (usually box 1) is gonna be different than your KS wages (this is the box a few to the left of where you find your kansas withholdings). You have to be sure to put that KS wages in so you include those KPERs payments in your kansas return.

I'm sure that is about clear as mud, but in summary payments to a KPERs retirement plan are still considered income for Kansas purposes and when you are filling out your Kansas return I am guessing you are just putting in your Federal wages and not adding back those KPERs payments. Feel free to ask any additional questions, I will do my best to answer.

What he said. You have to make sure and change Federal wages to Kansas wages, you can't assume they are both the same.