PDA

View Full Version : Football Randall Cunningham’s 2-year-old son drowns in hot tub

Deberg_1990
06-30-2010, 11:09 AM
wow....rip...

but begs the question, why was a 2 year old playing unattended around water???

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/ex-qb-cunninghams-son-drowns-in-hot-tub?GT1=39002

Former NFL star Randall Cunningham’s 2-year-old son was found dead after apparently drowning in a backyard hot tub at his Las Vegas home, authorities said.

The Las Vegas Review Journal reported the news late Tuesday.

The child was discovered at 4:30 p.m. Tuesday by a woman and several children at Cunningham’s house.

The woman removed the boy from the water and attempted to perform CPR, Las Vegas police Lt. Dennis Flynn said.

The death was being investigated by abuse and neglect detectives, but Flynn said the drowning appeared to be an accident.

Cunningham, 47, played for the Philadelphia Eagles and the Minnesota Vikings before retiring in 2002.

http://www.lvrj.com/sports/son-of-ex-rebel-drowns-97458929.html

pr_capone
06-30-2010, 11:11 AM
Damn, that is horrible.

loochy
06-30-2010, 11:13 AM
The death was being investigated by abuse and neglect detectives, but Flynn said the drowning appeared to be an accident.

Even if there was neglect, isn't having your child die punishment enough? I can't think of much worse...

RedNFeisty
06-30-2010, 11:13 AM
I couldn't imagine such a loss. Prayers for the family. But, why didn't they notice the boy missing and why was a hot tub not secured by a fence or something since there were young children?

loochy
06-30-2010, 11:14 AM
I couldn't imagine such a loss. Prayers for the family. But, why didn't they notice the boy missing and why was a hot tub not secured by a fence or something since they were young children?

Meh parents get complacent sometimes...

alpha_omega
06-30-2010, 11:18 AM
Awful. RIP little man!

Dicky McElephant
06-30-2010, 11:21 AM
Fuck man.....that's rough.

RedNFeisty
06-30-2010, 11:24 AM
Meh parents get complacent sometimes...

I guess some can be.

Iowanian
06-30-2010, 11:28 AM
horrible.

You only have to turn your head for a second with a 2 year old....

vailpass
06-30-2010, 11:30 AM
In AZ we have x number of children drown every year. It's now a law to fence your pool.

A fence around your pool and a cover on your unoccupied hot tub. If you don't have these and a child drowns on your property you are at fault IMHO.

Dicky McElephant
06-30-2010, 11:31 AM
In AZ we have x number of children drown every year. It's now a law to fence your pool.

A fence around your pool and a cover on your unoccupied hot tub. If you don't have these and a child drowns on your property you are at fault IMHO.

This.

It's easy as shit to ensure that this doesn't happen.

Duck Dog
06-30-2010, 11:38 AM

I agree. But damn that's horrible. I have a two year old and.....I don't even want to think about it.

cardken
06-30-2010, 12:43 PM
Met him at a Dicks Sports signing about 2 years ago, in Vegas and shook his wife's hand, she was pregnant with the child in question I'm sure. Weird, too bad seemed like a nice guy (Randall that is). RIP and prayers.

Phobia
06-30-2010, 12:51 PM
That's awful. I agree, losing the child is the worst punishment ever. I hope this family is able to cope.

Detoxing
06-30-2010, 12:56 PM
That sucks. But I couldn't imagine not having a pair of eyes on your 2 yr old for any kind of extended length of time.

Miscommunication between the mother and father maybe?

HemiEd
06-30-2010, 01:14 PM
horrible.

You only have to turn your head for a second with a 2 year old....

This is true, very very sad story.

But once a person adds those kind of dangers to the child's surroundings, they need to take the extra precautions necessary.

I imagine this family is devastated, and the guilt is going to be very difficult to overcome.

fan4ever
06-30-2010, 01:20 PM

Well sort of. City zoning has changed quite a bit; many cities here now consider a pool safe if you have self closing arcadia doors and/or door alarms. It seems in almost every case of a kid drowning though the pool fence is broken or propped open...or some crappy parent taking a nap and leaving their kids unattended while they figure a way out of the house and into the pool.

There was even a story a couple of months ago where a man had two neighborhood kids drown in his unfenced pool in the span of a year and when asked if he was going to fence it he said "Why should I...I don't have kids". That was harsh although I understand his point of the actual parents should know where their kids are...I just couldn't take seeing a kid yanked dead out of my pool.

That being said, anyone who thinks they're infalable as to overseeing the welfare of their children are naive...you have to believe you are immune to distracton for even a couple of minutes 24/7...and I've never met THAT person.

Demonpenz
06-30-2010, 01:36 PM
QB Eagles

Sure-Oz
06-30-2010, 02:18 PM
Horrible

vailpass
06-30-2010, 02:50 PM
That sucks. But I couldn't imagine not having a pair of eyes on your 2 yr old for any kind of extended length of time.

Miscommunication between the mother and father maybe?

It doesn't take long at all; nobody can keep their eyes glued to all of their children 24/7. The key is to have your pool/hot tub child proofed as best you can and to teach your children from an early age to stay away until you can teach them to swim.

vailpass
06-30-2010, 02:52 PM
Well sort of. City zoning has changed quite a bit; many cities here now consider a pool safe if you have self closing arcadia doors and/or door alarms. It seems in almost every case of a kid drowning though the pool fence is broken or propped open...or some crappy parent taking a nap and leaving their kids unattended while they figure a way out of the house and into the pool.

There was even a story a couple of months ago where a man had two neighborhood kids drown in his unfenced pool in the span of a year and when asked if he was going to fence it he said "Why should I...I don't have kids". That was harsh although I understand his point of the actual parents should know where their kids are...I just couldn't take seeing a kid yanked dead out of my pool.

That being said, anyone who thinks they're infalable as to overseeing the welfare of their children are naive...you have to believe you are immune to distracton for even a couple of minutes 24/7...and I've never met THAT person.

All new builds in Scottsdale must have fences around their pools.

morphius
06-30-2010, 03:15 PM
I had a reoccurring dream of having to resuscitate my daughter when she was 2, and that was bad enough. Feel for the family, I couldn't imagine actually having to live after actually losing a small child.

As Iowanian and fan4ever said, kids that small can disappear quick. You can have them over in a safe area, someone moves, some other kids get your attention and those buggers can have disappeared the moment you lost concentration.

CoMoChief
06-30-2010, 03:49 PM
QB Eagles

rep for Tecmo Bowl reference.

Bambi
06-30-2010, 03:57 PM
Horrible, but how can you have an open pool with a woman looking after "several" children.

Come on now.

LiL stumppy
06-30-2010, 03:57 PM
it said a women found him so it could be a nanny or maid of some sort

Jilly
06-30-2010, 04:05 PM
That's so sad. No matter how it happened.

GordonGekko
06-30-2010, 04:11 PM
i'm not going to pass any judgment, but this is horrible.