PDA

View Full Version : Life Tan-Tar-A Osage Beach, Mo

Sure-Oz
06-30-2010, 11:30 AM
http://www.tan-tar-a.com/

Has anyone ever been here before? Thought about this for a quick weekend getaway.

jiveturkey
06-30-2010, 11:32 AM
It's a cool area. There's a bitchin' water park nearby too. Big Surf.

ChiTown
06-30-2010, 11:37 AM
http://www.tan-tar-a.com/

Has anyone ever been here before? Thought about this for a quick weekend getaway.

Yep, about 35 years ago when I was kid. Good times.......

talastan
06-30-2010, 11:39 AM
It's not bad. Spent a couple of church youth events there. Has a great Ice skating rink at the resort and yes, if you get the chance go to Big Surf. Great water park.

Bob Dole
06-30-2010, 11:42 AM
Back in the early 80's...don't remember a whole lot through the alcohol induced fog.

Reaper16
06-30-2010, 11:46 AM
I stayed there one time. Nice place.

CoMoChief
06-30-2010, 11:46 AM
It's a cool area. There's a bitchin' water park nearby too. Big Surf.

I used to go race the mini-Nascar go karts they had there. fun times.

Fun Golf course. My parents have a lake house at Bay Point, which is off rte KK just right down the road. Nice area.

GoTrav
06-30-2010, 11:48 AM
Not here but stayed at Lodge of the Four Seasons last year and it was good. Looking to plan a trip for the wife and myself for a long weekend somewhere at the lake.

Planetman
06-30-2010, 11:53 AM
I believe they had an e-coli problem in the water earlier this year.

gblowfish
06-30-2010, 12:07 PM
I've worked events there for many years. Always in the winter, though. Never got to be there in summer.

I like Lakeview Resort on the flip side of the lake:
http://www.lakeview-resort.com/

HemiEd
06-30-2010, 12:18 PM
It used to be our company preferred gettaway, when I worked for a company out of KC. Typical resort golf course that leaves the greens too long, but nice.
Lots of stuff to do around there.

CosmicPal
06-30-2010, 03:47 PM
Our family has a lake home right across the lake from Tan-Tar-A. It's a very nice home at the 25 mile marker. If you want privacy, you can rent out our home for a few days. PM me.

ChiefsCountry
06-30-2010, 04:34 PM
Not the best place to stay at the Lake but its nice enough. Come on down for a weekend! The best place to visit in the state!

LaChapelle
06-30-2010, 05:03 PM
Osage Beach
Ulman Capps Brumley

Reaper16
06-30-2010, 05:05 PM
Not the best place to stay at the Lake but its nice enough. Come on down for a weekend! The best place to visit in the state!
Except for Kansas City!

Sure-Oz
06-30-2010, 05:18 PM

Whats a better place down there?

Sure-Oz
06-30-2010, 05:19 PM
Except for Kansas City!

ha, true

MoreLemonPledge
06-30-2010, 05:45 PM
I haven't been there for 10 years, but I remember enjoying it well enough while I was there. Certainly nothing spectacular, though.

damaticous
06-30-2010, 06:45 PM
I grew up at Lake of the Ozarks (Lake Road 5-65 near Greenview on North 5, Mile marker 32). Was a fun place to grow up in the spring, fall and winter. Locals didn't really care too much for the vacationeers as it made a normally 30 minute drive take 1.5 hours.

I used to work as a life guard at Big Surf from 91-94. It was fun. The park is small but for something for vacationeers to do it'd be fun. There was/is a park called "Big Shot" across the street from Big Surf that has some fun things to do. Go karts, bumper boats, etc.

I used to work at Tan-Tar-A in 94-96 when it was still a Marriott. I was a driver in the Estates/bellman.

The restaurant (The Bear???) is/was pretty good. Had a few family lunches on Sunday's there.

They used to have a bowling alley. Kind of small 6-8 lanes or so.

When I worked there they had a go kart track on top of the hill. I heard it was turned into a water park. It was/is by the building that houses the spa.

I wasn't much into Golf at the time but played both courses a few times as it's free for employees.

The Oaks (18 hole) is ok. Hilly and narrow. The 9 hole is narrow too, but I thought it was more fun.

To take your family there this weekend would be fun....extremely busy and crowded, but fun for all.

When I worked there they shot fireworks off on the little island about 1/4 - 1/2 mile away from Tan-Tar-A marina. At the time they spent 10-20,000 on the fireworks and usually lasted a good 45-60 minutes. The finale was always awesome. If you go to the fireworks get there early or you will never get a decent place. You will see TONS and TONS (thousands?) of boats floating in the water around Tan-Tar-A full of friends and families viewing the fireworks.

My father would always wait for about 20-30 minutes till we were right in the middle of all the boats going home. He'd LOVE to play (and scare the crap) out of everyone in our boat....going over the waves and making the front of the boat go down under the water.

If you go another time here would be my list of sights to see (coming from a past local).
Disclaimer: some of these things might not exist any more.

Family things....
Big Surf/Big Shot
Bagnell Dam (In the day time)
Para sailing at one of the many places.
Bungee jumping
Butterfly house
Miner Mikes (Across from mall)
Mall
Rent a boat/Waverunner
Main Street Opry(spelling?)
Mini-Golf - Best place I found was on Business 54 down steep hill.
Go Karts - all are pretty much the same anymore, but Big Shot had a pretty cool track.

Single, or couples.
Shooters 21 (is it still called that?)
Topsider (is it still called that?)
Horny Toad (is it still called that?)
Big Dicks halfway inn - used to have a girlfriend that lived a few miles a way from here.
Bagnel Dam (after dark)
Mini-Golfing.
Go Karts
Mall
The blue heron restaurant

Things to do at Tan-Tar-A
Lots of pools. Had 5 when I worked there.
Rent a boat.
Go on a mini cruise.
drive around the estates.
golf
Spa
Good Restaurants
Used to have mini-golf.
Used to rent scooters by mini-golf (across from Main lobby area)
pretty lame video arcade.
Used to have a flower shop to give some flowers to yer hunny.
Horseback riding (is that still there?)
Estate Suites were usually pretty nice.

Things to watch out for at Tan-Tar-A
Estate/Bus drivers - we were young, fast, and irresponsible.
overbooking if busy weekend.
average rooms unless you get a suite in the estates.
traffic

Things that only locals used to know about....
Hide away cove. - It's by Tan-Tar-A
Unless the roads on Why 54 are larger than 5 lanes don't drive anywhere from 9 AM to 8 PM.
If you have to drive anywhere be prepared for lot-o-traffic.
Tres-Hombres in Greenview was the origional Tres-Hombres. When I moved in 96 there was one by the mall but pailed in comparison to the one in Greenview. Greenview is about 20 Minutes north of Camdenton.
There used to be a REALLY good BBQ place in Gravois Mills call The Hickory Pitt. Not sure it's still there anymore though.
Randy's in just north of Hurricane Deck had great Ice Cream.
Good luck going on the lake during the summer months. If you are in a boat that is less than 30 feet you'll get beat to hell and be sore from the boat ride the next day.

ChiefsCountry
06-30-2010, 06:47 PM
Whats a better place down there?

Personally I like the Lodge of Four Seasons and Camden on the Lake better but Tan-Tar-A is still great. Its all in your own personal preference though. If you got kids, Tan-Tar-A is probablly better - they have a waterpark. It just really depends what you want to do down here. I live down here full time so just tell me what you had in mind in doing I can give you a pretty good honest run down on it.

Valiant
06-30-2010, 07:39 PM
How does it compare to white water in branson??

ChiefsCountry
06-30-2010, 07:40 PM
How does it compare to white water in branson??

The one at Tan-Tar-A is an indoor one. White Water is comparable to Big Surf, I give the edge in that one to White Water by just a little bit.

ChiefsFan4Life
06-30-2010, 08:05 PM
I love Tan Tar A - it's a great place to get away and have some fun for a relatively low hit to the wallet - we went there last year with my family and had a good time. The ladies love it because of the huge outlet mall so watch out for that.

bobbymitch
06-30-2010, 08:38 PM
I grew up at Lake of the Ozarks (Lake Road 5-65 near Greenview on North 5, Mile marker 32). Was a fun place to grow up in the spring, fall and winter. Locals didn't really care too much for the vacationeers as it made a normally 30 minute drive take 1.5 hours.

I used to work as a life guard at Big Surf from 91-94. It was fun. The park is small but for something for vacationeers to do it'd be fun. There was/is a park called "Big Shot" across the street from Big Surf that has some fun things to do. Go karts, bumper boats, etc.

I used to work at Tan-Tar-A in 94-96 when it was still a Marriott. I was a driver in the Estates/bellman.

The restaurant (The Bear???) is/was pretty good. Had a few family lunches on Sunday's there.

They used to have a bowling alley. Kind of small 6-8 lanes or so.

When I worked there they had a go kart track on top of the hill. I heard it was turned into a water park. It was/is by the building that houses the spa.

I wasn't much into Golf at the time but played both courses a few times as it's free for employees.

The Oaks (18 hole) is ok. Hilly and narrow. The 9 hole is narrow too, but I thought it was more fun.

To take your family there this weekend would be fun....extremely busy and crowded, but fun for all.

When I worked there they shot fireworks off on the little island about 1/4 - 1/2 mile away from Tan-Tar-A marina. At the time they spent 10-20,000 on the fireworks and usually lasted a good 45-60 minutes. The finale was always awesome. If you go to the fireworks get there early or you will never get a decent place. You will see TONS and TONS (thousands?) of boats floating in the water around Tan-Tar-A full of friends and families viewing the fireworks.

My father would always wait for about 20-30 minutes till we were right in the middle of all the boats going home. He'd LOVE to play (and scare the crap) out of everyone in our boat....going over the waves and making the front of the boat go down under the water.

If you go another time here would be my list of sights to see (coming from a past local).
Disclaimer: some of these things might not exist any more.

Family things....
Big Surf/Big Shot
Bagnell Dam (In the day time)
Para sailing at one of the many places.
Bungee jumping
Butterfly house
Miner Mikes (Across from mall)
Mall
Rent a boat/Waverunner
Main Street Opry(spelling?)
Mini-Golf - Best place I found was on Business 54 down steep hill.
Go Karts - all are pretty much the same anymore, but Big Shot had a pretty cool track.

Single, or couples.
Shooters 21 (is it still called that?) Gone
Topsider (is it still called that?)
Horny Toad (is it still called that?) Changed owners
Big Dicks halfway inn - used to have a girlfriend that lived a few miles a way from here.
Bagnel Dam (after dark)
Mini-Golfing.
Go Karts
Mall
The blue heron restaurant Good but $$$$$

Things to do at Tan-Tar-A
Lots of pools. Had 5 when I worked there.
Rent a boat.
Go on a mini cruise.
drive around the estates.
golf
Spa
Good Restaurants
Used to have mini-golf.
Used to rent scooters by mini-golf (across from Main lobby area)
pretty lame video arcade.
Used to have a flower shop to give some flowers to yer hunny.
Horseback riding (is that still there?)
Estate Suites were usually pretty nice.

Things to watch out for at Tan-Tar-A
Estate/Bus drivers - we were young, fast, and irresponsible.
overbooking if busy weekend.
average rooms unless you get a suite in the estates.
traffic

Things that only locals used to know about....
Hide away cove. - It's by Tan-Tar-A
Unless the roads on Why 54 are larger than 5 lanes don't drive anywhere from 9 AM to 8 PM.
If you have to drive anywhere be prepared for lot-o-traffic.
Tres-Hombres in Greenview was the origional Tres-Hombres. When I moved in 96 there was one by the mall but pailed in comparison to the one in Greenview. Greenview is about 20 Minutes north of Camdenton.
There used to be a REALLY good BBQ place in Gravois Mills call The Hickory Pitt. Not sure it's still there anymore though. North of GM is 3 Pigs. Hickory Pit was in Sunrise Beach; now Cannon Fired BBQ
Randy's in just north of Hurricane Deck had great Ice Cream.
Good luck going on the lake during the summer months. If you are in a boat that is less than 30 feet you'll get beat to hell and be sore from the boat ride the next day.

Went there for a conference a number of years ago and got "stuck" in the Kansas City suite. OMG!! Two balconies and room enough for . . . . . . whatever. But probably real pricey if one had to pay rack rate. They did build a new building where the old mini golf was.

The e-coli issue was way over rated and limited to areas not even close to Tan Tar A.

Tan Tar A is on the south side of all the activities, but the 5 lane Hwy 54 makes getting around a lot easier.

tyler360
06-30-2010, 08:52 PM
I always liked White Water much more than Big Surf.

Did not really like Big Surf all the much, but have not been to it nearly as many times as White Water. I may be biased.

CosmicPal
06-30-2010, 09:21 PM

One of my favorite times of the year at the lake. We still have our family lake home across the lake at the 25 mile-marker. Every 4th we'd pull our boat out of the cove and watch those fireworks from Tan-Tar-A. It was not only a damn good show, but it was very cool sitting out there in the water, drinking beers with thousands of boaters floating in the water. Very cool indeed.

ChiefsCountry
07-01-2010, 12:46 AM
I'll give you my Lake of the Ozarks tourist guide information tommorrow. :)

DMAC
07-01-2010, 07:18 AM
I always liked White Water much more than Big Surf.

Did not really like Big Surf all the much, but have not been to it nearly as many times as White Water. I may be biased.White Water was good when they had the Hurricane Rapids. But I guess they shut it down cause of stupid assholes slammin into little kids...

Now there are 3 slides that are the exact same, get on a tube..and go down a slide...weeeeeee

Lzen
07-01-2010, 08:09 AM
I stayed there once nearly 20 years ago. Osage Beach is basically Branson Lite. Like others have mentioned, Big Surf is fun. They also have para sailing if you're into that kinda thing. And, of course, a lot of tourist shopping places.

Great Expectations
07-01-2010, 09:12 AM
Osage Beach is for parties, Branson is for little kids and old people.

GoTrav
07-01-2010, 09:36 AM
Leaning towards going back to Lodge of the Four Seasons and getting one of their rooms right off the pool deck. Wife and I are mainly interested in lounging out around the pool with dinner and drinks at night.

Is getting to any form of nightlife a pain from the Lodge? Last year, with the kids, we went to that kind of stuffy french type overpriced restaurant on the hill, maybe it was the Blue Heron, and just stayed local to restaurants around the area. Also, hit some Italian/pizza type place just down the road. We'd like to venture out a bit more so are there any must eat meals we should check out?

memyselfI
07-01-2010, 01:31 PM
My husband and I went there for an anniversary a few years ago. The hotel there is ok. Nothing special after you leave the lobby. We were there for a weekend and the first night was fine. The second night a church group of a million or so kids checked in. They were running all over the place and being really obnoxious. My husband called the front desk to see where we could move. They moved us to one of their private condos and comped a bunch of stuff. It was fantastic. They really took care of us.

ChiefsCountry
07-01-2010, 09:33 PM
Here is my Lake of the Ozarks Guide:

Resort - Lodge of Four Seasons, Lake Ozark
Regular Hotel - Relax Inn, Osage Beach
Best Bar/Club - Topsider, Osage Beach
Best Music Venue - Dog Days, Osage Beach
Best 20 to 30 crowd entertainment - Shady Gators, Lake Ozark
BBQ - get it in Kansas City
Mexican - Sunrise Cantina, Sunrise Beach
Sports Bar - Pickled Petes, Osage Beach (fried grouper and fried pickles amazing)
Best Burger - French Dip Burger, Bootleggers, Osage Beach
Unique Place to eat - Lehman's, Versailles
Doughnuts - Daylight Doughnuts, Eldon
Best Breakfast - RJ's, Camdenton
Best Mini Golf - Sugar Creek, Lake Ozark
Best Go Carts - Leman's, Lake Ozark
Unique Shop - Wood N Ya Wanit, Tan-Tar-A or Osage Beach
Most Overrated Place - Party Cove
Best Strip Club - Flirt, Osage Beach

Then of course you got all of the normal tourist stuff as well.