PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV The Last Airbender

Deberg_1990
07-01-2010, 10:43 AM
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/last_airbender/

and BOOM goes the career of Shamalamadingdong......

Too bad....he started out with so much potential...

Ebolapox
07-01-2010, 10:46 AM
FUCK YOU M NIGHT SHYAMALON!

Bowser
07-01-2010, 10:47 AM

and BOOM goes the career of Shamalamdingdong......

Too bad....he started out with so much potential...

Brutal.

At least Lucas can now say that there is someone worse at dialogue than him, and be sincere about it, apparently.

Mr. Plow
07-01-2010, 11:00 AM
Damn. My kids were really wanting to see this.

Deberg_1990
07-01-2010, 11:10 AM
Damn. My kids were really wanting to see this.

Take them to see TS3 or Karate Kid.

bowener
07-01-2010, 11:14 AM
Damn, I had hoped this would not suck, but assumed it would all along.

I found this to be the most telling review:
I believe M. Night can ruin the world.

Mr. Plow
07-01-2010, 11:18 AM
Take them to see TS3 or Karate Kid.

We saw Toy Story 3 - they loved it. It has kind of surprised me that my 5 year old & 4 year old want to see Karate Kid.

bowener
07-01-2010, 11:47 AM
This is a pretty scathing review (http://www.collider.com/2010/06/30/the-last-airbender-review/) that details why this movie is the apparent pile of burning wasted money and shit that it is.

Brock
07-01-2010, 11:53 AM
It probably won't be the last bad movie he makes.

NewChief
07-01-2010, 11:59 AM
WTF happened to this guy? I guess he started to believe his own hype. His first few movies were awesome... then not to much.

Red Brooklyn
07-01-2010, 12:02 PM
Remeber when this movie used to be titled 'Avatar: The Last Airbender' ?

Wonder why they changed it...

Dicky McElephant
07-01-2010, 12:04 PM
WTF happened to this guy? I guess he started to believe his own hype. His first few movies were awesome... then not to much.

His first few movies were good because no one expected them. Then his movies became more about how big of a fucking twist he could put at the end....instead of an actual plot or good acting.

bowener
07-01-2010, 12:06 PM
It probably won't be the last bad movie he makes.

I have a friend that apparently will defend M Night to either of their deaths, and swears he is a master story teller. Honestly, I think my friend might be retarded. I can see the 6th Sense and Unbreakable (maybe Signs - neat movie, not the best though... still like it), but after those his movies just got way too obvious. I remember my gf at the time almost broke up with me because I told her the Village was going to be in modern times, just hidden or something, and I guessed that after watching the trailer for it. Should preface that by saying once we starting watching the Village she got super pissed at me once she realized I was right, but she was a megabitch and might have just been mad because I was right... sorry off topic... the only reason I knew it was going to be where M Night was going with his shit story was because that really was the most logical twist he would pull (most logical in an M Night sense).

Lady in the Water probably isn't as bad as I remember, but I had already given up on him by then. If I recall correctly it was still pretty bland and obvious that everyone was going to have a purpose and be fine by the end of the film (and that was 30 minutes in when ppl realized that).

The Happening should have never happened, it is that simple.

Deberg_1990
07-01-2010, 12:07 PM
I watched "The Happening" a few month back on cable. It was horrible and laughable in parts. Bad acting all around.

and im one of the few defenders of Signs. Probably his last really good movie.

Dicky McElephant
07-01-2010, 12:08 PM
I have a friend that apparently will defend M Night to either of their deaths, and swears he is a master story teller. Honestly, I think my friend might be retarded. I can see the 6th Sense and Unbreakable (maybe Signs - neat movie, not the best though... still like it), but after those his movies just got way too obvious. I remember my gf at the time almost broke up with me because I told her the Village was going to be in modern times, just hidden or something, and I guessed that after watching the trailer for it. Should preface that by saying once we starting watching the Village she got super pissed at me once she realized I was right, but she was a megabitch and might have just been mad because I was right... sorry off topic... the only reason I knew it was going to be where M Night was going with his shit story was because that really was the most logical twist he would pull (most logical in an M Night sense).

Lady in the Water probably isn't as bad as I remember, but I had already given up on him by then. If I recall correctly it was still pretty bland and obvious that everyone was going to have a purpose and be fine by the end of the film (and that was 30 minutes in when ppl realized that).

Unbreakable will always be his best movie.

sd4chiefs
07-01-2010, 12:14 PM
I watched "The Happening" a few month back on cable. It was horrible and laughable in parts. Bad acting all around.

http://www.joblo.com/review-the-last-airbender

After watching THE HAPPENING, people more or less figured M. Night Shyamalan had hit rock bottom as a filmmaker. Ladies and gents, you ain't see nuthin' yet!

Detoxing
07-01-2010, 12:18 PM
Damn, and I was actually looking forward to seeing this too

bowener
07-01-2010, 12:22 PM

Fully agree. It was perfectly simple in a way. He didn't do too much or too little. I am beginning to see a trend w/ MNS movies.

List of good movies:
Unbreakable
The 6th Sense
Signs
The Village (debatable)

In all (most) of those movies the acting was well done for the most part, and I have to speculate that it may be because the actors were able to carry themselves through and beyond his weak directing (plus the stories were better). Once he got "big" and started using lesser known talent or lesser talent, his weak ass direction began to show, and stemming from that he was no longer able to hide his horrid plots behind a facade of good/great acting.

M Night just sucks, he really sucks, hard.

Red Brooklyn
07-01-2010, 12:24 PM

Yep.

Red Brooklyn
07-01-2010, 12:27 PM
List of good movies:
Unbreakable
The 6th Sense
Signs
The Village (debatable)
I didn't care much for Signs.

The Village was interesting and fun for what it was. Not a "good" movie, but I enjoyed myself. Same for Lady In The Water (though I understand why most people hated it so much).

I haven't seen The Happening. Really Unbreakable and The Sixth Sense are his only two front to back, solid efforts. I have no real interest in The Last Airbender. Not one bit.

morphius
07-01-2010, 12:42 PM
luckily this is Hollywood, so we should get another reboot in a few years...

Swanman
07-01-2010, 01:11 PM
luckily this is Hollywood, so we should get another reboot in a few years...

And hopefully the reboot will be animated, as this one should have been.

MOhillbilly
07-01-2010, 01:29 PM
Go check out Winters Bone instead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZAwPItta8Q

Sure-Oz
07-01-2010, 01:31 PM

lmao it went down from 7% to 6% wow

Sure-Oz
07-01-2010, 01:32 PM

Sorry you had to watch that, atleast it didnt cost you money

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
07-01-2010, 03:09 PM
And hopefully the reboot will be animated, as this one should have been.

It is animated.

Avatar: The Last Airbender ran for three seasons on Nick Toons.

I have the boxed sets and they're fantastic.

Detoxing
07-01-2010, 05:32 PM
It is animated.

Avatar: The Last Airbender ran for three seasons on Nick Toons.

I have the boxed sets and they're fantastic.

IM pretty sure that's what he was referring to.

Deberg_1990
07-01-2010, 05:54 PM
Vulture Breaks the News to M. Night Shyamalan About The Last Airbender's Reviews

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2010/07/m_night_shyamalan_on_the_last.html

Have you read the reviews for Last Airbender?
No, I haven’t.

Well, are you aware of the reviews?
No, actually.

Well, for the most part, critics have not been kind. Are you just ignoring them? Will you read them this weekend? Have you just not had time?
Are you saying that in general they didn't dig it?

In general, no. Roger Ebert, who liked The Happening, did not. The first line of his review is, "The Last Airbender is an agonizing experience in every category that I can think of and others still waiting to be invented." How do you react to something like that?
I don’t know what to say to that stuff. I bring as much integrity to the table as humanly possible. It must be a language thing, in terms of a particular accent, a storytelling accent. I can only see it this certain way and I don’t know how to think in another language. I think these are exactly the visions that are in my head, so I don’t know how to adjust it without being me. It would be like asking a painter to change to a completely different style. I don’t know.

Critics haven't been kind to your last couple of films. Do you still worry about reviews?
I think of it as an art form. So it’s something I approach as sort of immovable integrity within each of the stages. So if you walk through the process with me, there’s not a moment where I won’t treat with great respect. So it’s sacred to me, the whole process of making a movie. I would hope that some people see that I approach this field with that kind of respect, and that it’s not a job.

Were you trying to please critics with this film? Did you have an audience in mind while you were making it?
For everybody, actually. It’s just a very cool, spiritual, action-y, family film — a family adventure.

SnakeXJones
07-01-2010, 06:16 PM

and im one of the few defenders of Signs. Probably his last really good movie. The Happening was the last straw from him imo when u have Mark Wahlberg talking to a plant u know u have a shitty movie on ur hands

Sure-Oz
07-01-2010, 06:33 PM
Ebert liked the happening?? wtf

Deberg_1990
07-01-2010, 06:51 PM
Ebert liked the happening?? wtf

Hes been very erractic the past few years in his reviews. Since he lost his jaw.

Recently hes been on an odd tirade against video games.

KcMizzou
07-01-2010, 08:11 PM
Hes been very erractic the past few years in his reviews. Since he lost his jaw.

Recently hes been on an odd tirade against video games.His thing about video games is the fact that he doesn't feel they can be considered "art", as film can.

Reaper16
07-01-2010, 08:32 PM
He actually just wrote an apology blog post re: the video game thing. The internets defeated him.

I like Ebert a lot. On the whole, he is the film critic whose tastes line up closest with my own.

KcMizzou
07-01-2010, 08:52 PM
He actually just wrote an apology blog post re: the video game thing. The internets defeated him.

I like Ebert a lot. On the whole, he is the film critic whose tastes line up closest with my own.I too, like Ebert.

Here's a link to that blog post. It's a good read. At least he's honest about his ignorance on the subject. (And lack of a desire to learn more.)

http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2010/07/okay_kids_play_on_my_lawn.html

jason54858
07-01-2010, 09:05 PM
I didn't hate "The Happening'' like you guys did. At least the film had a meaning to it, but I do agree that Unbreakable, Sixth Sense, and Signs were his only "good" movies

tk13
07-01-2010, 09:28 PM
I don't know who that actor would be... but I think with a different lead actor they could've pulled off "The Happening." There was some unique stuff in there that could've made a memorable movie... but they didn't know what to do with it, and the actors couldn't pull it off. Some of Wahlberg's scenes were brutal. The scene with the tree, and the scene where he tries to convince the old woman he's not going to kill her were about as bad as it gets.

Deberg_1990
07-01-2010, 09:28 PM
Yea, i think Ebert is obviously a generation before the Video game revolution.

Im 39, so that stuff has been part of my lifeblood since 9 or 10. (although i dont game much anymore)

I get where hes coming from with that, but he probably just doesnt understand the culture.

Deberg_1990
07-01-2010, 09:30 PM
I don't know who that actor would be... but I think with a different lead actor they could've pulled off "The Happening." There was some unique stuff in there that could've made a memorable movie... but they didn't know what to do with it, and the actors couldn't pull it off. Some of Wahlberg's scenes were brutal. The scene with the tree, and the scene where he tries to convince the old woman he's not going to kill her were about as bad as it gets.

Joey Deschshel was awful as well...and shes normally good. Just not sure what Shamaylan was going for in that movie.

Gravedigger
07-01-2010, 10:12 PM

I'm currently in the process of writing a book that has to do with beings able to master the elements, been working on it for four years and I was going to see this movie to make sure my book didnt appear to steal material from this because I thought it was going to be a great movie, now I want to see this movie to see what I shouldn't do. I've never been a fan of Shamalyan movies, Sixth Sense was mediocre to me, but I thought that this movie had so much potential, it's sad I've seen it wasted at the arrogance of M Night because I was looking forward to a classic adaptation.

Reaper16
07-01-2010, 10:14 PM
I'm currently in the process of writing a book that has to do with beings able to master the elements, been working on it for four years and I was going to see this movie to make sure my book didnt appear to steal material from this because I thought it was going to be a great movie, now I want to see this movie to see what I shouldn't do. I've never been a fan of Shamalyan movies, Sixth Sense was mediocre to me, but I thought that this movie had so much potential, it's sad I've seen it wasted at the arrogance of M Night because I was looking forward to a classic adaptation.
You should really, really watch the Nickelodeon cartoon that the movie was adapted from.

Gravedigger
07-01-2010, 11:20 PM
You should really, really watch the Nickelodeon cartoon that the movie was adapted from.

I will because if theres one thing I want to do is to create orginality even though you can always see ties to other stories. I will reference as much material that is similar to it as possible to make sure people won't give it reviews like this movie is getting.

vailpass
07-03-2010, 08:44 AM
This will bum my wife out, or it would if I told her. She's a big fan of the cartoon series and wants to see the movie.
I'll take her and let her either enjoy it or not. The number of times we've liked movies that the critics panned is probably more than the number of times we've agreed with the negative reviews.

NewChief
07-03-2010, 08:50 AM
This will bum my wife out, or it would if I told her. She's a big fan of the cartoon series and wants to see the movie.
I'll take her and let her either enjoy it or not. The number of times we've liked movies that the critics panned is probably more than the number of times we've agreed with the negative reviews.

This is me. I'm almost always entertained at the movies. I may walk out and say, "Man, that was a bad movie," but I'm still entertained.

vailpass
07-03-2010, 08:54 AM
This is me. I'm almost always entertained at the movies. I may walk out and say, "Man, that was a bad movie," but I'm still entertained.

Yes, you put my thoughts into words.

We aren't hardcore cinemaphiles who are more critic than viewer. 3 young children, baseball/kung fu/soccer/swim lessons/junior etiquette, running the household, daily fires to put out, etc. etc. etc. means that those times when we get into the theatre we are there to enjoy and be entertained.

Ebolapox
07-03-2010, 08:55 AM

I'm pretty much that way as well. it also helps if my expectations are low--regardless of how badly the critics bash a movie, I generally at least slightly enjoy it if my expectations are very low. example: ang lee's 'hulk.' norton's hulk blew it out of the water. by all rights, people rightly bashed ang lee's hulk. however, I went in with NO expectations and enjoyed it.

whoman69
01-22-2012, 12:30 PM
Thought I'd bump this with the new Nick series The Last Airbender: Legend of Korra coming out this year. Shymalan did a horrible job with the movie, so its no real surprise that the rest of the series won't come out. I thought the biggest problem was there was so much happening in the series, that to split it in just three parts was not enough. Because of this there was absolutely no character development. You didn't get the feel of the show because the characters were all just cardboard cutouts. He couldn't even be bothered with getting the pronunciations of the names correct.

The entire movie was special effects, which I thought were entirely underwhelming. I think Shymalan made a mistake in changing one of the basic premises. In the original series a firebender could make fire without a fire source. With this limitation then logically the Fire Nation may have had initial successes in a war against the other nations, but that would have petered out with the passing comet no longer giving them the power to make fire on their own.

Mr. Plow
01-22-2012, 01:42 PM
Glad to hear they are doing another series of Avatar. Kids really liked it, and so did I. Movie sucked ass though.

Mr. Plow
01-22-2012, 01:49 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/yGnN1DBDxaw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Taking place 70 years after the events of "Avatar: The Last Airbender," this story follows the adventures of the Avatar after Aang - a passionate, rebellious, and fearless teenage girl from the Southern Water Tribe named Korra. With three of the four elements under her belt (Earth, Water, and Fire), Korra seeks to master the final element, Air. Her quest leads her to the epicenter of the modern "Avatar" world, Republic City - a metropolis that is fueled by steampunk technology. It is a virtual melting pot where benders and non-benders from all nations live and thrive. However, Korra discovers that Republic City is plagued by crime as well as a growing anti-bending revolution that threatens to rip it apart. Under the tutelage of Aang's son, Tenzin, Korra begins her airbending training while dealing with the dangers at large.

Easy 6
01-22-2012, 01:54 PM
I stopped bothering with his movies after The Village, THE most patently absurd plot of all time, i was incredulous, couldnt believe it was his movie.

Sixth Sense & Unbreakable were awesome & Signs was 'ok' if you can get past the stupid, lurching, creature from the black lagoon aliens... since then its been one bellyflop after another, Happening, Airbender, Lady in the Water & Devil.

The guy blew his creative wad a long time ago.

Deberg_1990
01-22-2012, 02:01 PM
I stopped bothering with his movies after The Village, THE most patently absurd plot of all time, i was incredulous, couldnt believe it was his movie.

Sixth Sense & Unbreakable were awesome & Signs was 'ok' if you can get past the stupid, lurching, creature from the black lagoon aliens... since then its been one bellyflop after another, Happening, Airbender, Lady in the Water & Devil.

The guy blew his creative wad a long time ago.

I agree but his movies keep opening and making money. I think his only true flop was Lady in the Water.

ThaVirus
01-22-2012, 09:04 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/yGnN1DBDxaw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Taking place 70 years after the events of "Avatar: The Last Airbender," this story follows the adventures of the Avatar after Aang - a passionate, rebellious, and fearless teenage girl from the Southern Water Tribe named Korra. With three of the four elements under her belt (Earth, Water, and Fire), Korra seeks to master the final element, Air. Her quest leads her to the epicenter of the modern "Avatar" world, Republic City - a metropolis that is fueled by steampunk technology. It is a virtual melting pot where benders and non-benders from all nations live and thrive. However, Korra discovers that Republic City is plagued by crime as well as a growing anti-bending revolution that threatens to rip it apart. Under the tutelage of Aang's son, Tenzin, Korra begins her airbending training while dealing with the dangers at large.

That's fantastic. This is one of my favorite cartoons ever.

And I liked Lady in the Water LMAO

CHENZ A!
01-23-2012, 10:50 AM
I've got to be the only person who thought the village was ok. I usually enjoy his movies, but the happening was almost unwatchable.

Huffmeister
01-23-2012, 10:56 AM
I've got to be the only person who thought the village was ok. I usually enjoy his movies, but the happening was almost unwatchable.

I really liked The Village. Good suspense, good tension, and good twist at the end.

The Crappening was terrible. Decent premise, but terrible execution. The scenes of people killing themselves in whatever they could were about the only enjoyable moments of the movie.

Sofa King
01-23-2012, 11:03 AM

The Village was a good movie.

beach tribe
01-23-2012, 11:12 AM
I thought Devil was great.

NewChief
01-23-2012, 11:48 AM

I liked The Village. Lady in the Water had potential in the playful treatment of archetypes and stock characters, but it just went too bizarre in its mythos. It should have stuck closer to stock.

Bowser
01-23-2012, 01:12 PM

Confused Mark Wahlberg is confused.

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm288/larryo340/Funny%20gifs/10d38e57.gif

CHENZ A!
01-23-2012, 01:30 PM
I like Wahlberg as an actor too, but that movie seriously sucked ass.