PDA

View Full Version : Elections Lindsey Graham On Tea Party: 'Just Unsustainable,' No 'Coherent Vision,' Will 'Die Ou

|Zach|
07-01-2010, 01:18 PM
I have been saying this for months...it is easy to be mad at something. But Tea Partiers and the GOP don't really seem to have answers beyond the rage. I would love a GOP party that actually made any kind of sense to keep the left from being so fringe.

---

Under the Obama administration, Senator Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) has spent much of his time playing the role of the go-to yet mercurial Republican negotiator. It's a function previously carried out by his mentor, Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.), and one that can exact a taxing political cost (see McCain's inability to rally conservatives in 2008 and his subsequent trek rightward during his own reelection campaign).

In a just-published New York Times magazine profile, Graham seems to revel in the part. The senator, who has been censured by conservatives in his home state, fully cops to enjoying the political spotlight on testy legislative matters, whether detention policy, immigration reform, or climate change legislation. He also mocks his Tea Party detractors as having no long-term vision or prospects for political viability. He openly touts the closeness of his relationship to White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel, and even acknowledges the cynicism of McCain's new, non-maverick label.

Penned by Robert Draper -- who wrote some of the more entertaining narratives from the 2008 campaign trail -- the whole piece is worth a read (Draper even broaches the gay rumors that have followed Graham for years). But here are some of the relevant parts.

ON THE TEA PARTY'S CRITICISM OF GRAHAM:

In years past, Graham's deal-making forays typically featured his close friend, Senator John McCain of Arizona, as the frontman. Nowadays McCain has shucked his maverick ways in order to court his state's G.O.P. primary voters, while Graham's reflexive displays of bipartisanship have made him something of a scourge among South Carolina Tea Partiers. Harry Kibler fingered Graham as major prey in Kibler's "RINO hunt" (Republicans in Name Only). The South Carolina chapter of Resist.net warns constituents that Graham "is up to his old reach-across-the-aisle tricks again!" Among the conservative activists who have called for censuring Graham as a quisling of the right is the state's G.O.P. gubernatorial nominee and Tea Party favorite, Nikki Haley.

"Everything I'm doing now in terms of talking about climate, talking about immigration, talking about Gitmo is completely opposite of where the Tea Party movement's at," Graham said as Cato drove him to the city of Greenwood, where he was to give a commencement address at Lander University later that morning. On four occasions, Graham met with Tea Party groups. The first, in his Senate office, was "very, very contentious," he recalled. During a later meeting, in Charleston, Graham said he challenged them: " 'What do you want to do? You take back your country -- and do what with it?' . . . Everybody went from being kind of hostile to just dead silent."

In a previous conversation, Graham told me: "The problem with the Tea Party, I think it's just unsustainable because they can never come up with a coherent vision for governing the country. It will die out." Now he said, in a tone of casual lament: "We don't have a lot of Reagan-type leaders in our party. Remember Ronald Reagan Democrats? I want a Republican that can attract Democrats." Chortling, he added, "Ronald Reagan would have a hard time getting elected as a Republican today."

There is more in the article covering some other issues...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/07/01/lindsey-graham-on-tea-par_n_632480.html

dirk digler
07-01-2010, 01:37 PM
Graham is a RINO and probably gay /any CP rightie

:D

HonestChieffan
07-01-2010, 01:48 PM
Lindsey has not been a Republican for years. POS needs to be run off.

chiefsnorth
07-01-2010, 01:55 PM
As a turncoat and a phoney, of course he is praying people stop paying attention. He is exactly the kind of politician that has their job on the chopping block when people start watching legislators and holding them accountable.

Even his state Republican party has censured him.

He votes for amnesty, he votes for carbon caps and other handouts to the enviroglomerates, he cozied up to the OA at the height of their popularity (Jan 2009).

He's got no soul and no prayer unless people got back to being asleep at the polls. Wishful thinking.

Guru
07-01-2010, 02:31 PM
Hopefully they keep saying that so people stay focused.

|Zach|
07-01-2010, 02:35 PM
Hopefully they keep saying that so people stay focused.

On what? What are Ron Paul Campaign for Liberty Types and Sara Palin "guns and abortion" types going to do when they are done being angry. The GOP is fractured. They can't serve both of those masters.

HonestChieffan
07-01-2010, 02:37 PM
Ron Paul you consider a master?

dirk digler
07-01-2010, 02:38 PM
Ron Paul you consider a master?

TJ does. he bends over for him every night.

Huffmeister
07-01-2010, 02:44 PM
On what? What are Ron Paul Campaign for Liberty Types and Sara Palin "guns and abortion" types going to do when they are done being angry. The GOP is fractured. They can't serve both of those masters.

Focused on the hate for Obama. It worked for the Dems, and as the pendulum swings back, it will work for the GOP too.

vailpass
07-01-2010, 02:47 PM
Huffington Post LMAO

mlyonsd
07-01-2010, 03:24 PM
I'll bet Obama/Axlerod/Emmanuel were uttering the very same words in 2009.

|Zach|
07-01-2010, 03:27 PM
I'll bet Obama/Axlerod/Emmanuel were uttering the very same words in 2009.

Scott Brown has helped Democrats pass several key pieces of legislation. In February, he voted with the majority party to pass an important jobs bill. And Brown's vote gave Democrats the edge to break a filibuster on financial reform legislation.

mlyonsd
07-01-2010, 03:34 PM
Scott Brown has helped Democrats pass several key pieces of legislation. In February, he voted with the majority party to pass an important jobs bill. And Brown's vote gave Democrats the edge to break a filibuster on financial reform legislation.

I take it your point is the tea party is what got Brown elected? Which isn't the case of course.

What the democrats need to worry about is consumer confidence is in the tank, Obama's own debt/deficit commission isn't going to amount to anything except partisan bickering, and the economy is perched to take another nose dive into a beaker full of water.

All of which will just add fuel to the tea party movement. You and Lindsey can pretend to ignore them at your own peril.

dirk digler
07-01-2010, 03:48 PM
I take it your point is the tea party is what got Brown elected? Which isn't the case of course.

What the democrats need to worry about is consumer confidence is in the tank, Obama's own debt/deficit commission isn't going to amount to anything except partisan bickering, and the economy is perched to take another nose dive into a beaker full of water.

All of which will just add fuel to the tea party movement. You and Lindsey can pretend to ignore them at your own peril.

All I heard after he was elected was what a great victory for the tea party it was. Now all I hear is crickets about the guy.

mlyonsd
07-01-2010, 04:00 PM
All I heard after he was elected was what a great victory for the tea party it was. Now all I hear is crickets about the guy.

That's funny all I heard after he was elected was what a slap in the face for the democrats to lose Teddy's seat.

dirk digler
07-01-2010, 04:18 PM
That's funny all I heard after he was elected was what a slap in the face for the democrats to lose Teddy's seat.

That too. But don't pretend like the Tea Party didn't have a hand in helping him win.

Read the Tea Party Nation email:

A message to all members of Tea Party Nation Congratulations to the Commonwealth of Massachusetts in voting for Senator Elect Scott Brown! The nation cheers with you!
Now on to next battle!

Scott Brown: the tea party’s first electoral victory

http://www.csmonitor.com/Commentary/Opinion/2010/0119/Scott-Brown-the-tea-party-s-first-electoral-victory

Brown's Campaign Buoyed By Tea Party
http://www.nationaljournal.com/njonline/no_20100202_3984.php

chiefzilla1501
07-01-2010, 04:23 PM
Focused on the hate for Obama. It worked for the Dems, and as the pendulum swings back, it will work for the GOP too.

It didn't work so well when the Dems were pitching their liberal "spokespeople" in Kerry and Gore. Obama won because he was appealing to the moderates (even if he turned out to be more liberal than the previous two guys).

I'm a moderate leaning conservative and I think the tea party is an enormous embarrassment. And delusional. There is no way in hell that a tea party supported presidential candidate will win. When your entire platform is "hate Obama" without any real platform of your own, you better hope people hate you to monumental proportions. People hate Obama, but not THAT much.

I wish the Republican party would go back to fiscal conservatism. The party has become so obsessed with values and becoming the party of "no", that it doesn't have a real platform anymore.

mlyonsd
07-01-2010, 04:42 PM
That too. But don't pretend like the Tea Party didn't have a hand in helping him win.

I'm not pretending anything. Amnorix posted right after the election that the reason Brown won is because the dems screwed the pooch with their candidate. Which is the real reason of course.

Brown has since distanced himself from the tea party to keep his political career alive. Remember you're talking about one of the most liberal seats in the Senate. It's not like Jesse Helms would ever get elected there.

Something you and your party should recognize is they have lost independents and won't win them back. Unfortunately for you they are listening to what the tea party has to say, not dems or reps.

BucEyedPea
07-01-2010, 05:44 PM
Lindsay Graham is a warmongering tarpite aka NeoCon.

googlegoogle
07-01-2010, 05:59 PM
Lindsay Grahamnesty

MadMax
07-01-2010, 06:53 PM
Graham is a POS just like the rest of out of touch jackasses running the country into the ground.

MadMax
07-01-2010, 06:54 PM
A nut juggling appeaser. Doesn't want to offend his Washington buddies.

dirk digler
07-01-2010, 07:38 PM
I'm not pretending anything. Amnorix posted right after the election that the reason Brown won is because the dems screwed the pooch with their candidate. Which is the real reason of course.

Brown has since distanced himself from the tea party to keep his political career alive. Remember you're talking about one of the most liberal seats in the Senate. It's not like Jesse Helms would ever get elected there.

Something you and your party should recognize is they have lost independents and won't win them back. Unfortunately for you they are listening to what the tea party has to say, not dems or reps.

I am not disagreeing with that but there was a multitude of reasons why Brown won the Tea Party, shitty Dem candidate, and bad political climate were all factors.

BTW I don't have a party and never will have a party.

The Mad Crapper
07-01-2010, 07:47 PM
I'm really surprised Graham has never gotten busted doing the ol' toe tap in the mens room of an airport. He must be really discreet.

MadMax
07-01-2010, 08:20 PM
Like this crapapple has a vision for the country, gimme a fuckin break.

LOCOChief
07-01-2010, 08:42 PM

Kid, I have a feeling that the real world is going to hit you like a ton of bricks.

|Zach|
07-01-2010, 08:50 PM
Kid, I have a feeling that the real world is going to hit you like a ton of bricks.

I deal just fine with the real world every single day. Thanks for your concern though.

The Mad Crapper
07-02-2010, 05:58 AM
Like this crapapple has a vision for the country, gimme a ****in break.

Friggin' hair spray manicure Goober mo fo er.

ROFL

BucEyedPea
07-02-2010, 10:10 AM
I'm really surprised Graham has never gotten busted doing the ol' toe tap in the mens room of an airport. He must be really discreet.

Or protected. Says all. Only those who won't play ball will be exposed. Meanwhile other scum remain protected. Old boys network at work!