PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Issues Dems refuse compromise to extend unemployment benefits

petegz28
07-02-2010, 10:45 AM
Congress adjourns this week for the July Fourth recess without having passed a bill to extend unemployment insurance benefits to 1.3 million people who started losing them this month.

Democrats have been painting Republicans as unsympathetic to the long-term unemployed who will be unable to collect benefits, but Democratic leaders have rejected several offers by the GOP to vote for the bill if at least some of it is paid for.

"My concern is that the Democrats are more interested in having this issue to demagogue for political gamesmanship than they are in simply passing the benefits extension," said Sen. George Voinovich, R-Ohio, who offered a deal that was rejected by Sen. Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev.

Democratic leaders were quick to attack Republicans for opposing the benefits, with House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., calling their opposition "just cruel" and "contrary to what our country is about."

Republicans, meanwhile, stood firm in their argument that extending benefits should not add to the deficit.

Voinovich told Reid he would vote for extending benefits if at least half of the extension could be paid for with unused money from the $787 billion stimulus package.

"I came to the table with a fair compromise, and the ball is in their court," said Voinovich, whose state suffers from a 10.7 percent unemployment rate.

The House passed a sixth-month extension on Thursday, but the Senate was long gone by then, having shut down early so that the late Sen. Robert Byrd's body could lie in repose in the chamber. Any future action by the Senate will have to wait until lawmakers return on July 12.

On Wednesday, the Senate rejected a measure to extend benefits, with most Republicans and one Democrat, Sen. Ben Nelson, D-Neb., opposed to the bill because it would add more than $33 billion to the nation's $1.3 trillion deficit. The Senate came up just one vote short of passage, with Sens. Olympia Snowe and Susan Collins, Maine Republicans, voting yes.

After the bill failed, Senate Minroity Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., offered a compromise that would extend benefits for two months and pay for it fully with unused stimulus funding. But Reid turned it down.

"The only reason the unemployment extension hasn't passed is because Democrats simply refuse to pass a bill that doesn't add to the debt," McConnell said. "That's it. That's the only difference between what they've offered and what we've offered."

McConnell pointed out that earlier this month, 57 Democrats voted for an amendment offered by Senate Finance Committee Chairman Max Baucus, D-Mont., that would also have used stimulus money to pay for some of the benefits. The amendment fell three votes short of the 60 needed for passage, but Reid was among the supporters.

Senate Majority Whip Richard Durbin, D-Ill., told The Washington Examiner on Thursday that unemployment benefits are considered emergency spending and do not fall under the same rules requiring them to be offset.

"We've never done it," Durbin said. "And it is counterintuitive that to stop a recession we have to take spending away from one area and put it into another. We need to put money into the economy."

Read more at the Washington Examiner: http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/politics/congress/Dems-refuse-compromise-to-extend-unemployment-benefits-97625324.html#ixzz0sXo72EZj

petegz28
07-02-2010, 10:47 AM
Ok, so let me get this straight.....

Yesterday Pelosi spouts off that Unemployment benefits create jobs.

Obama and the Dems sold us on a stiumuls bill that was supposed to create jobs.

But the Dems don't want to use un-spent stimulus $'s to help pay for the extention of uemployment???

Sorry, something just sounds fucked up with all of that.

The Mad Crapper
07-02-2010, 10:50 AM
Obama has a big shindig to get to this weekend. Paul McCartney is going to play some more songs for him and michelle ma belle.

FD
07-02-2010, 10:59 AM
Its really crazy to not pass this jobs bill because of deficit concerns. The US government is borrowing basically for free right now and the increase in the deficit from this bill is trivial compared to long-term obligations. The people opposing it for debt concerns have all opposed serious measures to bring down entitlement spending.

The Republicans should either pass this bill or actually be serious about the long-term debt, or ideally, both.

petegz28
07-02-2010, 11:06 AM
Its really crazy to not pass this jobs bill because of deficit concerns. The US government is borrowing basically for free right now and the increase in the deficit from this bill is trivial compared to long-term obligations. The people opposing it for debt concerns have all opposed serious measures to bring down entitlement spending.

The Republicans should either pass this bill or actually be serious about the long-term debt, or ideally, both.

Man, I am really starting the think you are a kool-aid drinker. Why is not a good idea to use unspent stimulus $'s to pay for the benefits?

It's more like people opposing it because it may take away $'s they haven't even spent already.

Let that sink in for a second...

Unspent stimulus $'s. 1 1/2 years after the stimulus was passed.

Sounds to me like the Dems just don't want any limits put on their spending. And the Repubs aren't even saying that. They are saying, lets use some of the money we have that we haven't spent on anything to pay for part of it. What a terrible idea, I know, practicing some of that pay-go shit the Dems keep spouting off.

FD
07-02-2010, 11:10 AM
Man, I am really starting the think you are a kool-aid drinker. Why is not a good idea to use unspent stimulus $'s to pay for the benefits?

It's more like people opposing it because it may take away $'s they haven't even spent already.

Let that sink in for a second...

Unspent stimulus $'s. 1 1/2 years after the stimulus was passed.

Sounds to me like the Dems just don't want any limits put on their spending. And the Repubs aren't even saying that. They are saying, lets use some of the money we have that we haven't spent on anything to pay for part of it. What a terrible idea, I know, practicing some of that pay-go shit the Dems keep spouting off.

It depends if the unspent stimulus money is allocated or not. If its allocated, then whether you shift it on paper to these benefits is irrelevant. If its not, then I agree its reasonable to use it to pay for this jobs bill. But its still just squabbling over details. If they don't pass this before the recess that is going to have a non-trivial effect on economic growth this summer.

petegz28
07-02-2010, 11:16 AM
It depends if the unspent stimulus money is allocated or not. If its allocated, then whether you shift it on paper to these benefits is irrelevant. If its not, then I agree its reasonable to use it to pay for this jobs bill. But its still just squabbling over details. If they don't pass this before the recess that is going to have a non-trivial effect on economic growth this summer.

The fact there are still unspent stimulus $'s, allocated or not is alarming as it is. WTF are they waiting for? It's been well over a year.

And let me ask, why was it ok to take TARP funds to spend on the auto makers but it's not ok to take stimulus $'s and spend on what Pelosi championed as big stimulus?

FD
07-02-2010, 11:20 AM
The fact there are still unspent stimulus $'s, allocated or not is alarming as it is. WTF are they waiting for? It's been well over a year.

And let me ask, why was it ok to take TARP funds to spend on the auto makers but it's not ok to take stimulus $'s and spend on what Pelosi championed as big stimulus?

Its possible some of the stimulus funds were allocated to projects that took a long development time. Its obviously suboptimal but we have no choice but to operate under the constraints of the political system.

I don't think it was OK to spend TARP funds, or any funds, on the auto makers, and I do think its OK to spend ARRA funds on this jobs bill, provided its not subtracting from other previously allocated stimulus.

The Mad Crapper
07-02-2010, 11:20 AM
This is nothing. Remember when the boy king said that he could take stimulus funds to pay down the national debt?

It just gets better and better in the land of hope and change.

CoMoChief
07-02-2010, 11:26 AM
Obama just cares about politics and buying votes.

That's pretty much about it.

The Mad Crapper
07-20-2010, 06:55 AM
Remember "pay as you go"?

http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/weekly-address-president-obama-praises-restoration-pay-you-go

LMAO

C'mon orange! C'mon banyon! tell us some more how we are wrong about B.O.! Tell us some more lies and bullshit, fellas!

LMAO

gochiefs_va
07-20-2010, 07:03 AM
Why dont they just give every american above the age of 18, 50k. Instead of bailing out crappy companies, and unions..just flat out give everyone 50k. At this point wouldnt it be cheaper than stimulus, after stimulus, after stimulus.

The Mad Crapper
07-20-2010, 07:06 AM
Why dont they just give every american above the age of 18, 50k.

Because if "they" did that, 50K would be worth about $500 bucks.

See, there's a lesson to be learned somewhere in history, something to do with a happy land called Germany.

mikey23545
07-20-2010, 07:11 AM
"Democratic leaders were quick to attack Republicans for opposing the benefits, with House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., calling their opposition "just cruel" and "contrary to what our country is about."

I guess that's true, because ever since the Dems took control, our country is all about unemployment checks.