PDA

View Full Version : News Jaycee Dugard received 20m from the state of CA

Msmith
07-02-2010, 11:38 AM
SACRAMENTO, Calif. – A woman who bore two children while being held prisoner for nearly two decades will receive $20 million from the state of California after claiming parole officers failed to do their job and find her while monitoring a convicted rapist.

Lawmakers approved the settlement Thursday for Jaycee Dugard, now 30, and her two daughters, who resurfaced last August after being held in a secret backyard by a suspect identified by authorities as Phillip Garrido.

"It is compensation for three people for the rest of their lives who have been horribly damaged over a period of 17 or 18 years," mediator Daniel Weinstein told The Associated Press.

Dugard and her daughters, ages 15 and 12, filed claims in February, saying parole agents with the Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation began supervising Garrido in 1999 but didn't discover them.

The Dugard family members claimed psychological, physical and emotional damages.

"I can't emphasize enough that we've got to be much more prudent in terms of how we provide oversight for released prisoners in the state of California," Assemblyman Ted Gaines, R-Granite Bay, said.

The money will be used to buy the family a home, ensure privacy, pay for education, replace lost income and cover what will likely be years of therapy, said Weinstein, a retired San Francisco County Superior Court judge. In addition, much of the money will be placed in long-term investments, he said.

"It was not an effort to make reparations for the years of abuse and incarceration or imprisonment against their will, because ... the damages to these people were incalculable," Weinstein said in a telephone interview. "Part of this was a prudent effort by the state to shut off liability from a catastrophic verdict."

Weinstein praised the state for quickly accepting responsibility, and the Dugards for accepting a reasonable settlement at a time when the state faces a $19 billion budget deficit. He said the scope of the claim was unprecedented in his 20 years as a mediator because of the duration of the crime and that it led to the birth of two children.

The money will come from the state's hard-hit general fund, which pays for most state operations.

Dugard's mother Terry Probyn filed a claim with the state in February but was not included in the settlement, Weinstein said. Her claim is pending and under negotiation by the corrections department and attorney general's office, said Lynn Margherita, a spokeswoman for the Victim Compensation and Government Claims Board.

Dugard's lawyer Dale Kinsella said he could not comment beyond a joint statement issued with the state attorney general detailing how the money will be used.

Terry Thornton, a spokeswoman for the state corrections department, declined comment.

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger intends to sign the bill detailing the settlement, spokesman Aaron McLear said.

Garrido and his wife Nancy have pleaded not guilty to charges that they kidnapped and raped the young woman.

Dugard and her children were hidden at the Garrido home in the eastern San Francisco Bay area city of Antioch, authorities said.

Lawmakers approved the settlement with a 30-1 vote in the Senate and a 62-0 vote in the Assembly. It involved the bulk of the money approved in AB1714, which settles three other claims for a combined $1.49 million.

Assemblyman Jim Nielsen, R-Yuba City, said it was wise for the state to pay the claim quickly rather than fight a court battle that he said "exacerbates the grievous loss of the victims and the lifelong condemnation and pain of their families."

He predicted the state also will pay claims in the case of John Albert Gardner III, who pleaded guilty earlier this year to killing two San Diego County teenagers. Parole agents were also faulted in that case for failing to send Gardner, a convicted sex offender, back to prison.

Link:http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100701/ap_on_re_us/us_kidnapped_girl_settlement#mwpphu-container

I am not opposing her to receive the money. But now there are more predators homing to her and her girls for fame and fortune.

Detoxing
07-02-2010, 11:41 AM
So now we're in the business of giving millions of dollars to victims of crimes? Are you kidding me......

CaliforniaChief
07-02-2010, 11:46 AM
This is freaking unbelievable. It's terrible precedent, particularly for a state that is now releasing all kinds of prisoners early due to budget restraints. So we're now spending money that we don't have to help victims who are harmed by people who aren't tracked properly because we have no money.

California baby!

Bowser
07-02-2010, 11:46 AM
Is that why AH-NOLD dropped some state workers' pay to minimum wage?

HotRoute
07-02-2010, 11:52 AM
This makes no sense, maybe 2 mil but 20? Geeze what the guy did was terrible but this is just flat out dumb

Detoxing
07-02-2010, 11:55 AM
This makes no sense, maybe 2 mil but 20? Geeze what the guy did was terrible but this is just flat out dumb

When does it stop? How the hell do you draw the line now? Can I now sue the police dept. if my family member gets killed because the police weren't there to stop it?

Old Dog
07-02-2010, 11:56 AM
Leave it to California

phisherman
07-02-2010, 11:59 AM
does she get the money in the form of an IOU or what?

CaliforniaChief
07-02-2010, 12:03 PM
When does it stop? How the hell do you draw the line now? Can I now sue the police dept. if my family member gets killed because the police weren't there to stop it?

Exactly. Now you'll have a stream of people sprinting to court to file for a settlement. By paying this out, you now admit (tacitly) that the state (and every law-abiding citizen) is responsible for the behavior of individuals.

Bacon Cheeseburger
07-02-2010, 12:11 PM
I certainly think the state owes them something, there was an unbelievable amount of fail involved here, but it's tough to put a dollar amount on it as no amount of money is going to heal their wounds. I hope a few people lost their jobs over this as well.

And to top it all off, the taxpayers get the foot the bill for a trial for the worthless pieces of shit that did this.

Pestilence
07-02-2010, 12:14 PM
So let me get this straight.

She gets $20 million dollars for what happened to her......and the State workers of California get this?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38048981/ns/politics-more_politics/?GT1=43001

SACRAMENTO — Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger has ordered about 200,000 state workers to be paid the federal minimum wage because the state Legislature has not passed a budget.

Department of Personnel Administration Director Debbie Endsley sent the order Thursday in a letter to the state controller. Most state employees will be paid the federal minimum of $7.25 per hour for the July pay period.

Schwarzenegger spokesman Aaron McLear says the change should be reflected in state employees' next paycheck. Workers will be paid in full retroactively once a budget is passed.

The Legislature has failed to take steps to close California's $19 billion budget deficit, even as the new fiscal year began Thursday.

The instructions from the Department of Personnel Administration exclude roughly 37,000 state workers in six bargaining units that recently came to tentative labor agreements with Schwarzenegger, The Sacramento Bee newspaper reported.

Controller John Chiang said earlier Thursday that he wouldn't comply with the minimum wage order, KCRA-TV said.

California Assembly Speaker John Perez, D-Los Angeles, expressed his disdain late Thursday in a statement, saying that that he's disappointed in the governor's actions.

"This is not a realistic proposal to save the state cash any more than his budget plan, which kills 430,000 jobs, is a realistic proposal to close our deficit. Using working families as leverage is not the kind of leadership we need to get through this budget process," Perez said.

Gonzo
07-02-2010, 12:15 PM
So she's claiming that because the state released this guy early, it's their fault?
Or is it because he wasn't properly tracked by parole officers?
Posted via Mobile Device

Pestilence
07-02-2010, 12:16 PM
So she's claiming that because the state released this guy early, it's their fault?
Posted via Mobile Device

This.

California has come out and admitted that their parole officers should have caught this a long time ago. This is their way of covering their collective asses.

Bacon Cheeseburger
07-02-2010, 12:18 PM
Posted via Mobile Device
The latter. No parole officer ever bothered to inquire about WTF was going on in his back yard. Hell the police were even called to his house one time because of strange sounds coming from back there, and they STILL missed it.

Hydrae
07-02-2010, 12:20 PM
I am a little surprised by the responses. Not that I disagree with them, I just expected the response to be more along the lines of, "good, they deserve it."

RedNFeisty
07-02-2010, 12:22 PM
I certainly think the state owes them something, there was an unbelievable amount of fail involved here, but it's tough to put a dollar amount on it as no amount of money is going to heal their wounds. I hope a few people lost their jobs over this as well.

And to top it all off, the taxpayers get the foot the bill for a trial for the worthless pieces of shit that did this.

There shouldn't be a trial. Maybe the money can help raise the two little girls that were spawned from this horrible tragedy.

Pestilence
07-02-2010, 12:24 PM
I am a little surprised by the responses. Not that I disagree with them, I just expected the response to be more along the lines of, "good, they deserve it."

I'm fine with them getting a settlement.....but fucking $20 million? In a time when the State is broke and they just MADE state workers take a huge paycut?

CaliforniaChief
07-02-2010, 12:28 PM
I'm not minimizing what they went through (and continue to go through). I'm just saying that this sets a horrible precedent for a state that is currently letting tons of prisoners go early into a system that is no more able to track them than they were Garrido...there will be a stream of victims and more payments.

Phobia
07-02-2010, 12:30 PM
She deserved $750,000,000 IMO.

Bacon Cheeseburger
07-02-2010, 12:31 PM
There shouldn't be a trial. Maybe the money can help raise the two little girls that were spawned from this horrible tragedy.
I wish it worked that way.

I'm fine with them getting a settlement.....but ****ing $20 million? In a time when the State is broke and they just MADE state workers take a huge paycut?
Did you even read the article you posted?

Pestilence
07-02-2010, 12:32 PM
Did you even read the article you posted?

Yes.....I did. It's for the month of July and it retro pays them when the budget is passed. And the Controller has said that he's not doing it.

Bacon Cheeseburger
07-02-2010, 12:33 PM
Yes.....I did. It's for the month of July and it retro pays them when the budget is passed. And the Controller has said that he's not doing it.
So it's not really a pay cut.

Pestilence
07-02-2010, 12:35 PM
So it's not really a pay cut.

Tell that to the workers that now can't afford to pay their rent and put food on the table for the month of July.

Fish
07-02-2010, 12:35 PM

Sadly, the odds of that happening are fairly unlikely. 99% of the time, giving an average person that amount of money is equivalent to flushing it down the toilet. Most folks have no clue how much additional responsibility comes along with getting a very large settlement like this. And this poor girl has basically been hidden from society most of her life.

I would bet that by the time those little girls are old enough to be ready for college, that money will have been long gone.

Just Passin' By
07-02-2010, 12:43 PM

The Supreme Court of the United States of America has ruled that police have no such duty.

Iowanian
07-02-2010, 12:43 PM
What happened to her and her family is horrible but does $20m really fix it?

This is why the govt should execute all rapists and pedos on site.

Bacon Cheeseburger
07-02-2010, 12:45 PM
Tell that to the workers that now can't afford to pay their rent and put food on the table for the month of July.
Ok. There's no reason gov't workers should be immune to the same shit that those of us who work in the private sector have to deal with.

teedubya
07-02-2010, 12:45 PM
IMO... if you rape, murder or are a pedophile... you have 2 years to clear your name... if not, buh bye... you die.

Don't let these idiots back on the street.

Of course the system would become so corrupt that innocent people would get arrested en masse for these heinous crimes... which would make the whole system fail.

Pestilence
07-02-2010, 12:47 PM
Ok. There's no reason gov't workers should be immune to the same shit that those of us who work in the private sector have to deal with.

:spock:

Private sectors deal with their boss cutting their pay in half because the Board of Directors can't come up with a budget?

Oh....and do you realize just how long it took California to pass their budget last year?

Bacon Cheeseburger
07-02-2010, 12:49 PM
What else would you expect? The only thing the gov't knows how to do is throw insane amounts of money at problems.

Bacon Cheeseburger
07-02-2010, 12:54 PM
:spock:

Private sectors deal with their boss cutting their pay in half because the Board of Directors can't come up with a budget?

Oh....and do you realize just how long it took California to pass their budget last year?
What I'm getting at is that hardly anyone in the private sector has the luxury of feeling like their job, salary and benefits are safe right now, why should gov't workers be any different?

memyselfI
07-02-2010, 12:59 PM
The state was negligent in doing their job. She suffered for two decades. I'm thinking it's a high settlement but not unreasonably so compared to the error the state made. Perhaps they were worried they would be on the hook for MORE if they went to court thus they settled for this amount in an attempt to save money.

Pestilence
07-02-2010, 12:59 PM
What I'm getting at is that hardly anyone in the private sector has the luxury of feeling like their job, salary and benefits are safe right now, why should gov't workers be any different?

Oh believe me.....both State workers AND County workers know that our jobs, salary and benefits aren't safe. Just in the last year....my employer has laid off over 200 people.

Bacon Cheeseburger
07-02-2010, 01:10 PM
Oh believe me.....both State workers AND County workers know that our jobs, salary and benefits aren't safe. Just in the last year....my employer has laid off over 200 people.
If that's the case, then it's kinda hard to feel sorry for anyone who was foolish enough to not prepare for rough times.

Pestilence
07-02-2010, 01:13 PM
If that's the case, then it's kinda hard to feel sorry for anyone who was foolish enough to not prepare for rough times.

True. I still think its shitty of Arnold to hold them "hostage" because the Legislators are a bunch of lazy assholes.

HemiEd
07-02-2010, 01:14 PM

Same here, and they do deserve something, quite a bit of something.

The fact that California is broke, is a totally separate issue.

But 20 million? I think that is a little over the top.

memyselfI
07-02-2010, 01:19 PM
Perhaps those disagreeing with the settlement need to ask themselves how much would it be worth if they were forced to give up their freedom and be forcibly raped and brutalized for the years she was.

Just Passin' By
07-02-2010, 01:21 PM
True. I still think its shitty of Arnold to hold them "hostage" because the Legislators are a bunch of lazy assholes.

When people stop voting for the kind of people who put the cities/states/country into these positions, we'll be better off. Until then, you should always expect 'cuts' to be borne by the sectors most likely to cause a hue and cry. It's why the first thing politicians tell the constituents about budget problems is that there will have to be cuts in education, police and fire budgets. Telling constituents that high level government officials and the elected politicians will have to take pay cuts isn't going to get people to vote for tax hikes.

Buzzsaw
07-02-2010, 01:22 PM
The state was negligent in doing their job. She suffered for two decades. I'm thinking it's a high settlement but not unreasonably so compared to the error the state made. Perhaps they were worried they would be on the hook for MORE if they went to court thus they settled for this amount in an attempt to save money.

Agreed. I'm a California resident and a fiscal conservative, and I'm in favor of the settlement. Neighbors reported that there was someone living in the guy's backyard, and the parole agents never bothered to investigate over a period of decades (!). There were children living with a rapist/kidnapper and they never asked any questions? Insanity.

Pestilence
07-02-2010, 01:23 PM
When people stop voting for the kind of people who put the cities/states/country into these positions, we'll be better off. Until then, you should always expect 'cuts' to be borne by the sectors most likely to cause a hue and cry. It's why the first thing politicians tell the constituents about budget problems is that there will have to be cuts in education, police and fire budgets. Telling constituents that high level government officials and the elected politicians will have to take pay cuts isn't going to get people to vote for tax hikes.

I realize this.....but a politician...is a politician....is a politician. It doesn't matter if you vote this one out....because the next one that's waiting in line is just as corrupt.

vailpass
07-02-2010, 01:24 PM
$20 million? Are you kidding me?
Had CA been successful in apprehending this rapist before he harmed the woman would she have payed them a bonus?

Detoxing
07-02-2010, 01:30 PM
Perhaps those disagreeing with the settlement need to ask themselves how much would it be worth if they were forced to give up their freedom and be forcibly raped and brutalized for the years she was.

What happened was unfortunate. But how is 20 million going to fix that? 20 Million dollars worth of therapy? I dont think so.

memyselfI
07-02-2010, 01:39 PM
What happened was unfortunate. But how is 20 million going to fix that? 20 Million dollars worth of therapy? I dont think so.

A person who has suffered from negligence which caused pain and suffering ONE time is often awarded a million dollars for their ordeal.

Multiply that suffering by DECADES and by hundreds if not thousands of times and you have a person who is receiving a payment that is not unreasonable in nature.

Hydrae
07-02-2010, 01:42 PM
A person who has suffered from negligence which caused pain and suffering ONE time is often awarded a million dollars for their ordeal.

Multiply that suffering by DECADES and by hundreds if not thousands of times and you have a person who is receiving what a payment that is not unreasonable in nature.

Yes, what happened to her was beyond horrible. I fail to see how this is the responsibility of every tax payer in California. The system failed, yes. But we, the people, need to stop thinking like the government has money of it's own. It does not at any level, it is our money and they need to stop throwing it away!

memyselfI
07-02-2010, 01:49 PM
Yes, what happened to her was beyond horrible. I fail to see how this is the responsibility of every tax payer in California. The system failed, yes. But we, the people, need to stop thinking like the government has money of it's own. It does not at any level, it is our money and they need to stop throwing it away!

The government failed not only her but HER TWO CHILDREN and her family who were robbed of their daughter for over two decades. That is a helluva lot of suffering for one family to endure.

CrazyPhuD
07-02-2010, 01:52 PM

This is why the govt should execute all rapists and pedos on site.

The saddest part is that it doesn't really matter how much money she'll get. In less than 5 years she'll be bankrupt again. Give her 750m and it doesn't matter. It's all guilt money that will be wasted.

Mr. Flopnuts
07-02-2010, 01:54 PM
does she get the money in the form of an IOU or what?

LMAO

Hydrae
07-02-2010, 01:56 PM
The government failed not only her but HER TWO CHILDREN and her family who were robbed of their daughter for over two decades. That is a helluva lot of suffering for one family to endure.

And as a tax payer, you are good with giving her your money?

It is a horrible situation without a doubt. I agree with earlier comments though on the precident this sets and the long term ramifications for what people expect from the government.

memyselfI
07-02-2010, 02:04 PM
And as a tax payer, you are good with giving her your money?

It is a horrible situation without a doubt. I agree with earlier comments though on the precident this sets and the long term ramifications for what people expect from the government.

I have no problem with it because my money that was supposedly used to PROTECT her failed to do so. It's not like she's a corporation who mismanaged her business and needs a handout...She was a CHILD living her life and the government entities designed and responsible to protect her failed to do so. Maybe now they will take that job seriously.

And again, I'm thinking CA looked at the case and figured if it went to court they may have been on the hook for 5 to 10 times that amount. This was likely a COST SAVING measure.

Bwana
07-02-2010, 02:22 PM
Shocking CA is flat ass broke.

Deberg_1990
07-02-2010, 02:23 PM
The money will be used to buy the family a home, ensure privacy, pay for education, replace lost income and cover what will likely be years of therapy, said Weinstein, a retired San Francisco County Superior Court judge. In addition, much of the money will be placed in long-term investments, he said.

So is the state dictating what exactly the money will be spent on and how its used? If so, then its an easier pill to swallow for me.

vailpass
07-02-2010, 02:25 PM
So is the state dictating what exactly the money will be spent on and how its used? If so, then its an easier pill to swallow for me.

Good question. Also, is the award being taxed at the rate at which obama wants to see the wealthy taxed?

Bacon Cheeseburger
07-02-2010, 02:26 PM
Shocking CA is flat ass broke.
It actually is, how the hell a state with that much wealth can be broke is almost inconceivable. I'd understand if it was some poor redneck state like Arkansas or Mississippi.

Phobia
07-02-2010, 02:31 PM
I want to know what happened to the parole officers who dropped the ball.

Deberg_1990
07-02-2010, 02:38 PM

Yep..another good question.

vailpass
07-02-2010, 02:40 PM

Awarded $5 million each for the pain, emotional suffering, loss of consortium and harshing of their mellow caused by the public ridicule and trauma of their being terminated from their positions.

Terribilis
07-02-2010, 03:08 PM
Chiefsplanet:
"You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy"

38yrsfan
07-02-2010, 03:19 PM
I don't have a problem with the amount, it's never going to replace the lives they might have had in a normal environment but it will be a big help dealing with the future.

Pestilence
07-02-2010, 03:26 PM
It actually is, how the hell a state with that much wealth can be broke is almost inconceivable. I'd understand if it was some poor redneck state like Arkansas or Mississippi.

It's what happens when the people who run the state....spend money on stupid bullshit programs.

mikey23545
07-02-2010, 03:40 PM
Well, the state shouldn't have raped and brutalized her if they didn't want to fork over 20 million dollars.

Thig Lyfe
07-02-2010, 03:49 PM
Get money, get paid.

rtmike
07-02-2010, 05:29 PM
It took my wife & I 8 years to finally conceive our beautiful daughter.

If this were to happen to us no amount of money would make it right for her.

jidar
07-02-2010, 06:53 PM
So let me get this straight.

She gets $20 million dollars for what happened to her......and the State workers of California get this?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38048981/ns/politics-more_politics/?GT1=43001

Wait... let me... no...

wow... yep.

You just compared getting paid minimum with being held prisoner and raped for 2 decades.

Fucking
Brilliant

Deberg_1990
07-11-2011, 06:18 AM
Anyone watch the interview last night? As a father that was painful to watch at times. Just an incredible story of survival. Its amazing shes seems as normal as she does.

http://news.yahoo.com/us-kidnap-victim-recounts-details-ordeal-214341372.html

eazyb81
07-11-2011, 07:19 AM
Agreed. I'm a California resident and a fiscal conservative, and I'm in favor of the settlement. Neighbors reported that there was someone living in the guy's backyard, and the parole agents never bothered to investigate over a period of decades (!). There were children living with a rapist/kidnapper and they never asked any questions? Insanity.

This should be a catalyst then in addressing the cause of this tragedy, not the effect.

It's been demonstrated in studies time and time again that deranged criminals like this are very likely to become repeat offenders. There is absolutely no reason this sick f#ck should have been allowed to walk the streets again after his first sex crime. People that commit sick crimes like this are no longer human, they are animals, and should be treated as such. They should lose the right to live free in our society.

This country needs to become much tougher on violent criminals, but instead we are doing the reverse. We will continue to hear similar stories like this as we release criminals early due to overcrowding and a lax attitude on this type of crime.

mlyonsd
07-11-2011, 07:48 AM
Anyone watch the interview last night? As a father that was painful to watch at times. Just an incredible story of survival. Its amazing shes seems as normal as she does.

http://news.yahoo.com/us-kidnap-victim-recounts-details-ordeal-214341372.html

It was absolutely sickening what she lived through. Horrible. I agree with the amazing she seems normal part. Strong willed. No better example of somebody putting the past behind them and looking forward.

blaise
07-11-2011, 07:50 AM
You know, Dane lives in L.A. I don't know if he ever mentioned that.

Saul Good
07-11-2011, 08:20 AM
You know, Dane lives in L.A. I don't know if he ever mentioned that.

When his pedophiliac tendencies cause more damage in the future, the state of CA can't say it wasn't warned. They. Should start a fund today to pay Dane's future victims.