PDA

View Full Version : Legal Chicago approves new handgun restrictions

2bikemike
07-02-2010, 12:44 PM
Where is all the outrage from the White House, Congress, and State Governments talking about how the Chicago Citizenry rights are being denied. They sure were hot crying about the rights of Illegal immigrants in Arizona.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38061266/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/

CHICAGO The Chicago City Council on Friday approved what city officials say is the strictest handgun ordinance in the United States.

The 45-0 vote came four days after a Supreme Court ruling made it almost certain that Chicago's handgun ban would be overturned. The high court ruled Americans have a right to own a gun for self-defense anywhere they live.

The new city ordinance bans gun shops in Chicago and prohibits gun owners from stepping outside their homes, even onto their porches or garages, with a handgun. It will take effect in 10 days.

The ordinance also:

Limits the number of handguns residents can register to one per month and prohibit residents from having more than one handgun in operating order at any given time.

Requires residents in homes with children to keep them in lock boxes or equipped with trigger locks.

Requires prospective gun owners to take a four-hour class and one-hour training at a gun range. They would have to leave the city for training because Chicago prohibits new gun ranges and limits the use of existing ranges to police officers. Those restrictions were similar to those in an ordinance passed in Washington, D.C., after the high court struck down its ban two years ago.

Prohibits people from owning a gun if they were convicted of a violent crime, domestic violence or two or more convictions for driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs. Residents convicted of a gun offense would have to register with the police department.

Calls for the police department to maintain a registry of every handgun owner in the city, with the names and addresses to be made available to police officers, firefighters and other emergency responders.

Those who already have handguns in the city which has been illegal since the city's ban was approved 28 years ago would have 90 days to register those weapons, according to the proposed ordinance.

Residents convicted of violating the city's ordinance can face a fine up to $5,000 and be locked up for as long as 90 days for a first offense and a fine of up to $10,000 and as long as six months behind bars for subsequent convictions.

Though Monday's Supreme Court ruling did not specifically strike down Chicago's handgun ban, it ordered a federal appeals court to reconsider its ruling.

Mayor Richard Daley moved quickly to get a new ordinance in place and has indicated that he expects legal challenges to the new restrictions.

HonestChieffan
07-02-2010, 12:49 PM
will never stand up

2bikemike
07-02-2010, 12:53 PM
will never stand up

Probably not but its back to court they go. Whats really screwed up is the taxpayers are on the hoof for the court costs to establish their rights which are being fought against by their taxing authority.

HonestChieffan
07-02-2010, 12:55 PM
Illinois cares not. They are so far in debt and daley is showing how much a loon he is and how bad the city council is under his thumb.

Otter
07-02-2010, 12:59 PM
I wonder if the politicians see more and more unhappy Americans in the future and this being a way to more easily control the swelling dissension.

FD
07-02-2010, 01:09 PM
Gun rights advocates get a landmark, historical victory on 2nd Amendment rights, the likes of which has NEVER before been seen in our nation. A few days later, the city whose law was overturned puts in a new LESS restrictive law than the old one. What is the response?

I wonder if the politicians see more and more unhappy Americans in the future and this being a way to more easily control the swelling dissension.

Theres just no pleasing some people.

vailpass
07-02-2010, 01:12 PM
Gun rights advocates get a landmark, historical victory on 2nd Amendment rights, the likes of which has NEVER before been seen in our nation. A few days later, the city whose law was overturned puts in a new LESS restrictive law than the old one. What is the response?

Theres just no pleasing some people.

Are you suggesting American citizens should be happy and grateful that they are allowed at least part of their constitutional rights?

FD
07-02-2010, 01:17 PM
Are you suggesting American citizens should be happy and grateful that they are allowed at least part of their constitutional rights?

I'm entirely in favor of gun rights, but sometimes I think gun owners can be too paranoid for their own good. This is especially true now at a time when gun rights have never been more secure.

vailpass
07-02-2010, 01:28 PM
I'm entirely in favor of gun rights, but sometimes I think gun owners can be too paranoid for their own good. This is especially true now at a time when gun rights have never been more secure.

obama, Pelosi et al give all of us a reason to voraciously gaurd our rights, wealth and property; to be ever vigilant against our own government encroaching upon that which we have worked for generations to build.

The Mad Crapper
07-02-2010, 01:34 PM
Secession is coming. It just is.

Hydrae
07-02-2010, 02:08 PM
— Requires prospective gun owners to take a four-hour class and one-hour training at a gun range. They would have to leave the city for training because Chicago prohibits new gun ranges and limits the use of existing ranges to police officers. Those restrictions were similar to those in an ordinance passed in Washington, D.C., after the high court struck down its ban two years ago.

I would think that making a requirement to take classes would mean that there has to be places available to complete those classes in the area of the law. This almost reminds me of the whole, you can have pot as long as you purchase tax stamps for it.

Jenson71
07-02-2010, 02:14 PM

You are implying that the Bill of Rights are only considered fully met when they are incorporated to the states.

vailpass
07-02-2010, 02:23 PM
You are implying that the Bill of Rights are only considered fully met when they are incorporated to the states.

Please kid, stop.

Jenson71
07-02-2010, 02:34 PM
Please kid, stop.

You know that's what the case was about, right? Don't worry, I'm not going to charge you for this education. I'm just going to expect more out of you in the future.

banyon
07-02-2010, 03:25 PM
I would think that making a requirement to take classes would mean that there has to be places available to complete those classes in the area of the law. This almost reminds me of the whole, you can have pot as long as you purchase tax stamps for it.

Actually, it's "you can't have pot, but if you do, and you are dealing it, then you must have tax stamps affixed to it which would never be issued by the department of revenue because you would be arrested upon applying for them."

2bikemike
07-02-2010, 03:25 PM

From the new law. " prohibit residents from having more than one handgun in operating order at any given time."

If stuff like this makes me paranoid you better hope there are more folks like me out there. Or the next thing you know you may find your free speech taken away.

petegz28
07-02-2010, 03:28 PM
From the new law. " prohibit residents from having more than one handgun in operating order at any given time."

If stuff like this makes me paranoid you better hope there are more folks like me out there. Or the next thing you know you may find your free speech taken away.

LMAO, I can see it now. You are only allowed to exercise your 1st amendment rights once a day in your own home and no where outside of the home.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dz4HEEiJuGo&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dz4HEEiJuGo&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Jenson71
07-02-2010, 03:45 PM
This message has been deleted by vailpass. Reason: Letting kids be kids

Get off my fucking lawn.

vailpass
07-02-2010, 03:45 PM
Get off my ****ing lawn.

:D Do you own a lawn?

Jenson71
07-02-2010, 03:53 PM
:D Do you own a lawn?

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=30

vailpass
07-02-2010, 03:54 PM

Don't know what you mean by this. Either type a response or don't. Answering with links or pictures or youtube is something my kids do.

Jenson71
07-02-2010, 03:59 PM
Don't know what you mean by this. Either type a response or don't. Answering with links or pictures or youtube is something my kids do.

http://www.funnyjunksite.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/04/funny_cat_pictures_092.jpg

vailpass
07-02-2010, 04:01 PM
http://www.funnyjunksite.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/04/funny_cat_pictures_092.jpg

WTF does that mean?
Men are from Mars, Jenson is from Venus?

Jenson71
07-02-2010, 04:10 PM
WTF does that mean?
Men are from Mars, Jenson is from Venus?

!

redsurfer11
07-02-2010, 04:16 PM
Requires prospective gun owners to take a four-hour class and one-hour training at a gun range. They would have to leave the city for training because Chicago prohibits new gun ranges and limits the use of existing ranges to police officers. Those restrictions were similar to those in an ordinance passed in Washington, D.C., after the high court struck down its ban two years ago.

I'm sure this class will be taught by a teacher in the union. The gun range would have to be approved by the city of Chicago. More money skimmed off to go to the city,and the cost of the class will be more than the cost of the gun. Look for Chicago to try and make a ton of money from this.

vailpass
07-02-2010, 04:20 PM
!

Grow up dude. It's a tough world out there and thanks to voters from your generation it is going to get a whole lot tougher.

kcfanXIII
07-02-2010, 06:08 PM
jenson, do you think that criminals will follow this law? or do you think they will continue to break the law, you know, like criminals do?

this law will never stand up. never. you want my guns? come and take them.

2bikemike
07-02-2010, 07:05 PM
The new city ordinance bans gun shops in Chicago and prohibits gun owners from stepping outside their homes, even onto their porches or garages, with a handgun. It will take effect in 10 days.

I wonder how you leave the city with your handgun if its illegal to step outside your home with it?

HonestChieffan
07-02-2010, 07:45 PM

Nothing is secure under the Obama regime. There is no doubt they are dedicated to taking away many of the freedoms we have held as very American. The mistake people are making is not being on their guard, mindful of the goals and aims of these people and to do all you can to protect what you cherish.

You may choose to not have a gun but you need to stand up for gun rights as they will take something from you just as they will try to take from a gun owner.