PDA

View Full Version : Electronics LCD or Plasma? Why?

vailpass
07-04-2010, 10:07 AM
Both our big-screen TVs are LCD, never tried plasma. Considering adding a TV. Which do you prefer? Why?

Bane
07-04-2010, 10:18 AM
I have both,like both and really cant find a reason from one that makes me write off the other.I mainly like my LCD's because I have a computer hooked up to all but one of them but one and to me my desktop and programs look better on the LCD vs the plasma.I'm sure this will vary from user to user but I really like my LCD's.I just got one of the Vizio 55 inch led LCD......Love it...... Anyway here's a interesting article on the topic.
http://www.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/lcdtv-plasmavslcd.shtml

vailpass
07-04-2010, 10:30 AM
I have both,like both and really cant find a reason from one that makes me write off the other.I mainly like my LCD's because I have a computer hooked up to all but one of them but one and to me my desktop and programs look better on the LCD vs the plasma.I'm sure this will vary from user to user but I really like my LCD's.I just got one of the Vizio 55 inch led LCD......Love it...... Anyway here's a interesting article on the topic.
http://www.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/lcdtv-plasmavslcd.shtml

Thanks Bane. Wow, from the article you suggest it appears they reccomend plasma. Though I don't find any lag in my LCD tvs, both have the 120 refresh rate. I have avoided plasma out of concern for screen burn.

I don't use my tv for computer. Have you watched sports on your LCD and do you find it fast enough to keep up compared to your plasma? Do you find the viewing angle on your plasma to be significantly better than your LCD?

Bane
07-04-2010, 10:35 AM
Thanks Bane. Wow, from the article you suggest it appears they reccomend plasma. Though I don't find any lag in my LCD tvs, both have the 120 refresh rate. I have avoided plasma out of concern for screen burn.

I don't use my tv for computer. Have you watched sports on your LCD and do you find it fast enough to keep up compared to your plasma? Do you find the viewing angle on your plasma to be significantly better than your LCD?

I cant tell much difference if any to be honest.Maybe my eyes aren't what they once were but I watch action movies on both and just cant really see the difference.Everything I have found suggests that Plasma is better and that's fine,I can accept that and still be happy with a lesser product.

What I really want to see is how the difference will be on the 3D tvs.

OnTheWarpath58
07-04-2010, 10:51 AM

The screen burn issue is really overblown, IMO.

I have an early generation Pioneer plasma - before they started putting anti-burn capabilities in the display.

I play PS3, and have watched hours of ESPN or NFLN on draft day, and had the ticker burnt in - or a HUD in a PS3 game. None of them have ever become permanent. Most have gone away on their own, in a handful of stubborn cases, I've tuned the display to a grey screen and let it sit for a while.

Problem solved.

IMO, the picture quality is worth dealing with potential burn-in. And with the newer displays, I'm not sure it's even much of an issue anymore.

vailpass
07-04-2010, 10:55 AM
The screen burn issue is really overblown, IMO.

I have an early generation Pioneer plasma - before they started putting anti-burn capabilities in the display.

I play PS3, and have watched hours of ESPN or NFLN on draft day, and had the ticker burnt in - or a HUD in a PS3 game. None of them have ever become permanent. Most have gone away on their own, in a handful of stubborn cases, I've tuned the display to a grey screen and let it sit for a while.

Problem solved.

IMO, the picture quality is worth dealing with potential burn-in. And with the newer displays, I'm not sure it's even much of an issue anymore.

Thanks OTWP. I know what you mean about potential issues being overblown. I read that LCD picture drops off from the sides but it must be really off to the side because I have never noticed it on mine.

TrebMaxx
07-04-2010, 10:56 AM
Have you considered LED?

vailpass
07-04-2010, 11:24 AM
Have you considered LED?

No. Do you reccomend? If so why? Thanks Treb.

Bane
07-04-2010, 12:00 PM
No. Do you reccomend? If so why? Thanks Treb.

My LED LCD seems brighter,its paper thin,and super lightweight for a tv.

TrebMaxx
07-04-2010, 12:49 PM
LED's have much better specs than standard LCD's especially in the contrast ratio and power consumption. Plasma's are great picture quality but the LED's are right up there with them but run cooler and use less power. Heat could be an issue depending on your setup with a plasma, like inside a cabinet. Oh, and LED's are very thin and light too.

If you look at a LED the contrast ratio is somewhere in the 4,000,000:1 range where as a standard LCD runs around 150,000:1. A plasma will give you the best contrast ratio usually running around 5,000,000:1.

If I where in the market right now I would go with the LED. Just my 2 cents worth. You should just cruise over to Best Buy and take a look at them and compare between the three. I wouldn't worry about burn in on Plasma's anymore and if you find the right deal on one I wouldn't hesitate. Personally as far a picture quality I favor the LED's.

vailpass
07-04-2010, 01:54 PM
LED's have much better specs than standard LCD's especially in the contrast ratio and power consumption. Plasma's are great picture quality but the LED's are right up there with them but run cooler and use less power. Heat could be an issue depending on your setup with a plasma, like inside a cabinet. Oh, and LED's are very thin and light too.

If you look at a LED the contrast ratio is somewhere in the 4,000,000:1 range where as a standard LCD runs around 150,000:1. A plasma will give you the best contrast ratio usually running around 5,000,000:1.

If I where in the market right now I would go with the LED. Just my 2 cents worth. You should just cruise over to Best Buy and take a look at them and compare between the three. I wouldn't worry about burn in on Plasma's anymore and if you find the right deal on one I wouldn't hesitate. Personally as far a picture quality I favor the LED's.

Yes, the LEDs did have a great picture. More $ than I feel right spending on a TV for my kid's game room.

vailpass
07-04-2010, 01:56 PM
Just got back from Best Buy. bought a Samsung 40" LN40C630 for $709.
Throwing up the wall mount kit to have it hooked up in the kid's game room in time for company this afternoon.
Grabbed a Samsung BDC6500 to solve my dvd player/Netflix stream need as well. Not a PS3 but not as expensive. I'm a cheap fuck.

Thanks all for your input.

Happy 4th.

Buck
07-04-2010, 01:59 PM
Just got back from Best Buy. bought a Samsung 40" LN40C630 for $709.
Throwing up the wall mount kit to have it hooked up in the kid's game room in time for company this afternoon.
Grabbed a Samsung BDC6500 to solve my dvd player/Netflix stream need as well.

Thanks all for your input.

Happy 4th.

That's the same line of TV I just bought. The LNXXC630.

Look at the sticker on your box and under te bottom left barcode what is the 4 digit alpha-numerical code? If it starts with a "C" you want to take it back immediately.

vailpass
07-04-2010, 02:12 PM
That's the same line of TV I just bought. The LNXXC630.

Look at the sticker on your box and under te bottom left barcode what is the 4 digit alpha-numerical code? If it starts with a "C" you want to take it back immediately.

The bottom left bar code?The short one? It says AA01.
Is that the number you mean?

Buck
07-04-2010, 02:16 PM
The bottom left bar code?The short one? It says AA01.
Is that the number you mean?

Yes that is.

That is the code for which panel you have in your TV.

If it starts with an S, Samsung made the panel, and these are considered to be the best.

A is considered to be good also, but C is horrible.

Check out this thread.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1178897&page=28

vailpass
07-04-2010, 02:22 PM
Yes that is.

That is the code for which panel you have in your TV.

If it starts with an S, Samsung made the panel, and these are considered to be the best.

A is considered to be good also, but C is horrible.

Check out this thread.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1178897&page=28

As always thanks much for the knowledge. Don't know where you find all this shit but I'm glad you share. Looks like it should be a good TV.

Buck
07-04-2010, 02:35 PM
As always thanks much for the knowledge. Don't know where you find all this shit but I'm glad you share. Looks like it should be a good TV.

No problem. I have an A panel as well, and I love it.

ZepSinger
07-04-2010, 02:36 PM
I've had a Vizio 51" Plasma for a couple of years and LOVE it. Beautiful, sharp picture. No permanent burnin issues at all . The only knock would be the fact that it's quite heavy- about 110 lbs if I remember right. We mounted it at the corner of the ceiling, like at a sports bar, and the weight made it quite a challenge to mount, but we overcame. I've heard about issues with heat, but have never noticed that it was hot. I would highly recommend plasma...

Z

Chocolate Hog
07-04-2010, 02:54 PM
I have a 50 inch Plasma LG and a 42 inch LCD Lg. I like the Plasma much better especially if you watch sports it's the better picture.

BWillie
07-04-2010, 03:39 PM
Both our big-screen TVs are LCD, never tried plasma. Considering adding a TV. Which do you prefer? Why?

I have a 32'' LCD, 50''plasma, & a 65'' mitsubishi dlp. I like the dlp the best, then the plasma. But that's bcuz I love huge add tvs. The picture on all of them are great. I bought my dlp for 600 from a guy who had an easy to fix factory defect. After I bought it I called mitsubishi and they fixed it for free. Sure I may have to pay $100 every few yrs buy that sure beats paying $2500 on a 65'' lcd. And its 1080p. I absolutely love it as a huge big ass tv enthusiast

MoreLemonPledge
07-04-2010, 05:12 PM
I have a Panasonic plasma and love it. Superior to the Samsung LCD I had in every way.

BCD
07-04-2010, 05:44 PM
I have a Samsung plasma. The only issue I have with it is glare.

MoreLemonPledge
07-04-2010, 05:46 PM
I have a Samsung plasma. The only issue I have with it is glare.

That's the only real downside to plasma vs. LCD, other than weight, and in many cases glare can be eliminated or at least reduced.

BCD
07-04-2010, 05:56 PM
That's the only real downside to plasma vs. LCD, other than weight, and in many cases glare can be eliminated or at least reduced.Yeah. Mine is 50". That fucker is heavy.

Buck
07-04-2010, 06:02 PM
Does anyone know why you can't lay LCD TVs down on their side?

BCD
07-04-2010, 06:30 PM
Does anyone know why you can't lay LCD TVs down on their side?Not sure, but I'd imagine it has something with the fact that the 'L' in LCD stands for 'Liquid'.

:shrug:

googlegoogle
07-04-2010, 06:31 PM
Can't believe plasma wasn't invented earlier. We should have had this technology in the 70's and later.

Nothing unique about it. We had the know-how.

BCD
07-04-2010, 06:34 PM
Can't believe plasma wasn't invented earlier. We should have had this technology in the 70's and later.

Nothing unique about it. We had the know-how.I'm sure they did. What took so long was actually getting HD content to broadcast.

googlegoogle
07-04-2010, 06:34 PM
Does anyone know why you can't lay LCD TVs down on their side?

transport issue and vibrations.

http://www.mysears.com/Computers-Electronics/topics/Laying-down-a-television-myth/posts

bevischief
07-04-2010, 07:54 PM
LCD or LED no burn in like Plasma.

BCD
07-04-2010, 07:56 PM
LCD or LED no burn in like Plasma.Newer Plasmas do not have burn-in issues.

Frankie
07-04-2010, 08:05 PM
My LED LCD seems brighter,its paper thin,and super lightweight for a tv.

Better, but too expensive.

BCD
07-04-2010, 08:08 PM
Better, but too expensive.Yeah, they're a little pricey. I've only had my plasma a yr and a half. By the time I want to upgrade, LEDs will be quite reasonable.

Buck
07-04-2010, 08:15 PM
I don't think LEDs are really any better than LCDs, because they are still LCDs but they just use LED lights instead of normal fluorescent lights like LCDs.

The proper name for LED TVs should be "LED backlit LCDs."

bevischief
07-04-2010, 08:18 PM
Newer Plasmas do not have burn-in issues.

Haven't hear or read about that yet. Still would look to LCD or LED, watched too many games on both.

Bane
07-04-2010, 08:43 PM
Better, but too expensive.

Yeah I know but we wanted a smaller LCD for our bedroom and the wall I wanted it on wasn't really set up to have a 42 or 50 inch.I needed something really thin cause you have to walk right by it going to the bath room just off of our bed room and I didn't want to bump it and smack it all the time in the dark on my way.So I grabbed a 37 inch LED LCD and it works out really well.

BCD
07-05-2010, 12:33 AM
Haven't hear or read about that yet. Still would look to LCD or LED, watched too many games on both.IMO, and many others, Plasmas have a better picture than LCD. I looked at LEDs when I bought my plasma. Just too expensive. My TV was only $1300. Anyone looking into an HDTV and have the cash, I'd recommend LED. Thats the future anyway. Regular LCDs and plasmas will be a thing of the past.

BCD
07-05-2010, 12:39 AM
I don't think LEDs are really any better than LCDs, because they are still LCDs but they just use LED lights instead of normal fluorescent lights like LCDs.

The proper name for LED TVs should be "LED backlit LCDs."Seriously? LEDs have a more crisp, vivid, picture.

Buck
07-05-2010, 03:51 AM
Seriously? LEDs have a more crisp, vivid, picture.

Yeah, according to the companies that are trying to upsell you. They may be marginally better, but its still light shining through a liquid crystal display.

mikeyis4dcats.
07-05-2010, 08:30 AM
plasma burn-in is a non issue on modern tvs. I accidentally left my tv turned on last year overnight on a game screen. There was a temp burn-in of a portion of the screen for about an hour, then it was gone. And it was very light to begin with....this is on a 5 year old set.

Hydrae
07-05-2010, 09:30 AM
Yeah, according to the companies that are trying to upsell you. They may be marginally better, but its still light shining through a liquid crystal display.

Coming from a man who doesn't even have an LCD yet, I can see the difference between the regular LCD and an LED/LCD quite easily at the store. Not buying that this is marketing only, I see it with my own eyes. :)

kepp
07-05-2010, 09:49 AM
Coming from a man who doesn't even have an LCD yet, I can see the difference between the regular LCD and an LED/LCD quite easily at the store. Not buying that this is marketing only, I see it with my own eyes. :)

Yeah, the picture from an LED model is definitely better/brighter. If I were looking for a new TV and had money to burn, I'd go with the LED. Otherwise I'm sticking to plasma.

'Hamas' Jenkins
07-05-2010, 11:59 AM
Glare, gas discharge, dimming, and dithering are all bigger problems with Plasmas than burn in.

FWIW, if anyone is looking at an LED LCD, make sure that you get a full array LED and not an edge-lit model.

Dallas Chief
07-05-2010, 12:49 PM
The proper name for LED TVs should be "LED backlit LCDs."

Actually it is. Some manufacturers prefer to advertise it otherwise though.

vailpass
07-05-2010, 01:10 PM
Actually it is. Some manufacturers prefer to advertise it otherwise though.

Yes. The LED tvs I saw yesterday were labeled "LCD LED"

Buck
07-05-2010, 02:17 PM
The LAds are better yes, but also remember in store they have te settingnon Torch mode to try and make the TVs stand out.

Also for the LEDs you'll spen about $1000 more fore the same size. My LCD has a a 120,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio already. How much more do you need?

Cave Johnson
07-05-2010, 03:47 PM
I have a 50 inch Plasma LG and a 42 inch LCD Lg. I like the Plasma much better especially if you watch sports it's the better picture.

Didn't you start a thread on the 42" buying choice?

Since I'm late to the discussion, I'll refrain from adding my $.02. Did, however, just help the parents shop for a TV. They ended up with a 50" 1080P Panasonic plasma with a networked Blu-ray for $900.

Buck
07-05-2010, 04:09 PM

Since I'm late to the discussion, I'll refrain from adding my $.02. Did, however, just help the parents shop for a TV. They ended up with a 50" 1080P Panasonic plasma with a networked Blu-ray for $900.

Damn. Where did they buy it?

vailpass
07-05-2010, 04:17 PM

I would like to hear your opinion.
Where did your parent's buth their tv?

Cave Johnson
07-05-2010, 05:10 PM
Damn. Where did they buy it?

Sears, pre-Father's Day sale. DVD wasn't supposed to be networked, but they were out of the lesser model. TC-P50S2, I think.

Plasma is the better tech but will lose out vs. LCD due to (eventual) higher mfg costs. The decreasing brightness issue is overblown, given the crazy usage it takes to get to 100k hours (the half life of current plasma models).

Vail, what's your size/price point?

notorious
07-05-2010, 06:15 PM
You can't go wrong either way as long as it is a quality manufacturer.