PDA

View Full Version : Economics Why Are Americans Fleeing the Job Market?

The Mad Crapper
07-06-2010, 03:34 PM
Are we about to see a wave of Americans giving up on the labor market? The Bureau of Labor Statistics' June jobs report saw the labor market lose 652,000 workers -- a defection so large that it caused the nation's unemployment rate to drop from 9.7% to 9.5%, not because jobs were created, but because the number of people in the workforce declined.

In fact, workers left the labor force so fast that they seem to have bypassed categories the unemployed usually fall into before they finally leave the workforce due to frustration. The number the government uses to track discouraged workers -- those who have given up the job search but are still interested in work or are working part-time in search of full-time employment -- declined in June to 16.5% from 16.6% in May.

See full article from DailyFinance: http://srph.it/9evti9

jiveturkey
07-06-2010, 03:38 PM
I've never really understood this. How does someone just leave the job market? If someone offers them a job to they decline due to the fact that they're no longer looking? What do they do?

It just doesn't make sense to me.

The Mad Crapper
07-06-2010, 03:42 PM
I've never really understood this. How does someone just leave the job market? If someone offers them a job to they decline due to the fact that they're no longer looking? What do they do?

It just doesn't make sense to me.

I think it has more to do with how the government tracks them.

jiveturkey
07-06-2010, 03:45 PM
I think it has more to do with how the government tracks them.
That would make sense. I'd like to know more about it.

Cave Johnson
07-06-2010, 03:52 PM
That would make sense. I'd like to know more about it.

I could be wrong on this, but I think it's related to the failure to extent UI benefits. They no longer have to report that they're actively looking for work, so they're no counted.

The Mad Crapper
07-07-2010, 06:36 AM
Unless your goal in life is a career once every 10 years with the Census, you have to at this point be deeply concerned about the state of the union under the boy king, Hussein Osama.

HonestChieffan
07-07-2010, 07:28 AM
People are not fleeing the jobs market as much as any business who even could consider expansion is to afraid of the uncertainty of employment costs and new regs to hire anyone full time.

This is the most under reported and under recognized issue in this economy right now. The government has all successful businesses in a state of freeze. Or in some cases contraction of work force in anticipation of new costs and controls.

Free enterprise at all levels, small business, mom and pops all the way to the biggest see these issues every day.