PDA

View Full Version : Computers Question about your computer use

Guru
07-07-2010, 06:18 AM
I know some people who never turn their computer off and some that only let it go to sleep.

I generally always turn mine off when I am done.

What does the CP community do?

patteeu
07-07-2010, 06:37 AM
I run my PC all the time, no sleep. I make my kids turn theirs off though. My mac laptop and my wife's go to sleep

TrickyNicky
07-07-2010, 06:38 AM
I'll let it run for a few weeks straight, going into sleep mode when its been inactive for 3 hours. Then I'll turn it off for at least a 12 hour period. No idea if that actually helps or anything.

JD10367
07-07-2010, 06:39 AM
When not in use, ours gets turned off.

#1: sometimes the thing does updates on its own, and needs a reboot to get things settled.

#2: if you leave it on, you're just leaving it susceptible to attack.

#3: it wastes electricity.

pr_capone
07-07-2010, 08:28 AM
Mine has been shut down twice since I built it 5 months ago.

Saulbadguy
07-07-2010, 09:55 AM
24/7

QuikSsurfer
07-07-2010, 11:27 AM
I shut mine down pretty regularly.

Bearcat
07-07-2010, 11:55 AM
I put Windows XP to sleep, but the boot time for Windows 7 and Ubuntu is so fast that I just shutdown at the end of the day unless I have a ton of stuff open.

Sure-Oz
07-07-2010, 12:25 PM
My desktop is on 24/7
the laptop goes into sleep mode after awhile.

Taco John
07-07-2010, 12:49 PM
I want mine to last, so I never turn it off. You people who power it all the way down are running your CPUs into the ground.

Taco John
07-07-2010, 12:51 PM
I run my PC all the time, no sleep. I make my kids turn theirs off though. My mac laptop and my wife's go to sleep

That's pretty well how I operate. I make my living on my computer, and I want it accessible to me at all times of the day and night. I don't want to have to power it up at 3am to check European emails if I need to.

Saulbadguy
07-07-2010, 12:54 PM
I want mine to last, so I never turn it off. You people who power it all the way down are running your CPUs into the ground.

:rolleyes:

Sure-Oz
07-07-2010, 12:56 PM
:rolleyes:

Did i miss the joke?

Guru
07-07-2010, 03:19 PM

Based on the things I have been reading, that is no longer the problem it was 10-15 years ago. I have been shutting my desktop down at the end of each day. I just put my laptop into hibernation mode.

dirk digler
07-07-2010, 03:23 PM
I leave mine on all the time just because I am lazy

kepp
07-07-2010, 03:52 PM

I've heard that before, but I've never heard a good explanation for it. Heat is a CPU's worst enemy, and if it isn't running, there isn't any heat. I don't know...I leave mine on all the time anyway.

Fish
07-07-2010, 04:30 PM
I've heard that before, but I've never heard a good explanation for it. Heat is a CPU's worst enemy, and if it isn't running, there isn't any heat. I don't know...I leave mine on all the time anyway.

Basically leaving it on prevents unnecessary change of state for the electrical components. The integrated circuits in the computer heat up quite a bit after being turned on. The more you turn your machine on and off, the more changes of state the circuits have to go through. And that heating/expanding, cooling/shrinking cycle when turned on and off frequently can eventually cause a break down in solder joints.

That said, electrical components are made a lot better than they were 10-15 years ago. And can handle more. So the change of state isn't as hard on components as it used to be.

My philosophy on it is to just prevent constant change of state as much as it is convenient for you. If you know you have to use the machine in an hour, it's probably harder on it to turn it off, and back on an hour later.

Also keep in mind that poor case circulation, above average room temp, humidity, dust, etc. are all factors that will reduce the life of the components, no matter which method you employ. Those factors are just as important as your on/off cycle....

Guru
07-07-2010, 04:48 PM
Yeah, turning it off once per day can't hurt it.

I always blow the dust out of mine once per year.

Mr. Laz
07-07-2010, 06:21 PM
on in the morning
off at bedtime