PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports Soccer

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Raiderhader
07-09-2010, 12:29 PM
And there are plenty of times in soccer when it isn't called, either.

Perhaps so. But the essence of soccer is finesse play, not physical. Even when not called physical style play is generally frowned upon. It just not what soccer is about. And that is but one of the reasons I just don't like the damn game.

Donger
07-09-2010, 12:31 PM
Perhaps so. But the essence of soccer is finesse play, not physical. Even when not called physical style play is generally frowned upon. It just not what soccer is about. And that is but one of the reasons I just don't like the damn game.

And basketball is inherently a physical game? I don't think so, certainly no more than soccer.

What else don't you like?

Raiderhader
07-09-2010, 12:37 PM
And basketball is inherently a physical game? I don't think so, certainly no more than soccer.

Maybe not at its inception, but it has evolved into a very physical game. You still have finesse style teams, but they are much more boring to watch, IMO.

What else don't you like?

Liberals.

Donger
07-09-2010, 12:41 PM
Maybe not at its inception, but it has evolved into a very physical game. You still have finesse style teams, but they are much more boring to watch, IMO.

I've seen plenty of basketball games, and I'd argue that they are no more physical than soccer games.

Liberals.

Well, of course. You are intelligent. But I was referring to what else you don't like about soccer.

Raiderhader
07-09-2010, 01:11 PM
I've seen plenty of basketball games, and I'd argue that they are no more physical than soccer games.

Then you and I have been watching the wrong basketball/soccer games, because from what I have witnessed, there is a world of difference.

Well, of course. You are intelligent. But I was referring to what else you don't like about soccer.

Oh, my bad. Lack of scoring would be one. And that in and of itself would not be so bad (I can appreciate a good ol' defensive battle on the grid iron and even enjoy a baseball game), but when watching soccer I get the feeling that it is SUPPOSED to be low scoring. It is as if goals are intended to be rare. Hell, even in baseball the teams are at least trying to score. I mean a game which is not known as a real physical sport not only allows but even encourages a runner to bulldoze the catcher at home plate to try and knock the ball loose so he can SCORE. And ties just straight up do not even exist in the sport.... there is certainly a desire to win there. Where as in soccer you can not only have little or even no scoring, but ties as well. And get this, ties are not only not looked down upon, they are some timers even celebrated! WTF?

I posted a link to this article earlier in the thread, I do not know if you saw it or not, but it says all this in a much more eloquent manner and has some stats so I'll post it again. This is from 4 years ago when the last WC was taking place.

http://www.americanthinker.com/2006/06/why_americans_dont_like_soccer.html

The only other thing I would address, and have done so even though it does not seem to be sinking in, is the elitist attitude of a majority of the fan base. Someone posted it earlier, if someone said they hated football, we might think them a little weird, but we accept it, say each to their own and move on with it. Soccer fans just can not let it go. This thread is a prime example. We are around 250 responses simply because the soccer fans are all in a fit due to me slandering their beloved game. If they had ignored it this thread would be on page 6 or 7 right now.

How does my liking or not liking of something you like really going to impact your life at the end of the day? Seriously people drop it. It's a trite old saying but holds true: if everyone thought the same the world would be a boring place.

But soccer fans just cannot accept that there are people who do not like their game. So they get defensive, then they get aggressive and are snobbish about it the whole way through the process. "You just don't have an appreciation for the nuances of the game like us sophisticated folks" :shake:

I'm sorry, but the fan base is as much a turn off as the game itself.

Donger
07-09-2010, 01:19 PM
Then you and I have been watching the wrong basketball/soccer games, because from what I have witnessed, there is a world of difference.

Yes, in soccer there is plenty of shoulder charging (which is perfectly legal) in addition to leg contact.

Oh, my bad. Lack of scoring would be one. And that in and of itself would not be so bad (I can appreciate a good ol' defensive battle on the grid iron and even enjoy a baseball game), but when watching soccer I get the feeling that it is SUPPOSED to be low scoring. It is as if goals are intended to be rare. Hell, even in baseball the teams are at least trying to score. I mean a game which is not known as a real physical sport not only allows but even encourages a runner to bulldoze the catcher at home plate to try and knock the ball loose so he can SCORE. And ties just straight up do not even exist in the sport.... there is certainly a desire to win there. Where as in soccer you can not only have little or even no scoring, but ties as well. And get this, ties are not only not looked down upon, they are some timers even celebrated! WTF?

I posted a link to this article earlier in the thread, I do not know if you saw it or not, but it says all this in a much more eloquent manner and has some stats so I'll post it again. This is from 4 years ago when the last WC was taking place.

http://www.americanthinker.com/2006/06/why_americans_dont_like_soccer.html

The only other thing I would address, and have done so even though it does not seem to be sinking in, is the elitist attitude of a majority of the fan base. Someone posted it earlier, if someone said they hated football, we might think them a little weird, but we accept it, say each to their own and move on with it. Soccer fans just can not let it go. This thread is a prime example. We are around 250 responses simply because the soccer fans are all in a fit due to me slandering their beloved game. If they had ignored it this thread would be on page 6 or 7 right now.

How does my liking or not liking of something you like really going to impact your life at the end of the day? Seriously people drop it. It's a trite old saying but holds true: if everyone thought the same the world would be a boring place.

But soccer fans just cannot accept that there are people who do not like their game. So they get defensive, then they get aggressive and are snobbish about it the whole way through the process. "You just don't have an appreciation for the nuances of the game like us sophisticated folks" :shake:

I figured that "lack of scoring was one of them. But, there are plenty of football games that are 10-7. Of course, since a TD is 6+1 points, that's the equivalent of a 2-1 soccer match. Surely you can see that, yes?

I may be mistaken, but I think that the "not invented here" syndrome when it comes to soccer disdain. Do you agree?

As to your other point, I think that if I were to start a thread about football being a sport for mindless Neanderthals, there would be a similar level of disdain from football fans.

SDChiefs
07-09-2010, 01:36 PM
Yes, in soccer there is plenty of shoulder charging (which is perfectly legal) in addition to leg contact.

I figured that "lack of scoring was one of them. But, there are plenty of football games that are 10-7. Of course, since a TD is 6+1 points, that's the equivalent of a 2-1 soccer match. Surely you can see that, yes?

I may be mistaken, but I think that the "not invented here" syndrome when it comes to soccer disdain. Do you agree?

As to your other point, I think that if I were to start a thread about football being a sport for mindless Neanderthals, there would be a similar level of disdain from football fans.

Well, you are on a football message board. Its not like he went to a soccer message board and did this. He didn't even do it in the world cup thread.

Saulbadguy
07-09-2010, 01:38 PM

I'm guessing American football fans living in Europe might have a similar reaction.

"You guys just don't get it" is what I imagine i'd be saying if I lived in Spain, Italy, or Germany.

JMO, though.

SDChiefs
07-09-2010, 01:44 PM
I'm guessing American football fans living in Europe might have a similar reaction.

"You guys just don't get it" is what I imagine i'd be saying if I lived in Spain, Italy, or Germany.

JMO, though.

Youre probably right about that. Because then it becomes a National pride thing. Which I can understand a European over here doing it, thinking we are demeaning their culture. But Americans over here doing it? That I do not understand.

Raiderhader
07-09-2010, 01:50 PM

Sure I see that, I also see lot's of guys hitting the shit out of each other. I enjoy the strategy involved. I know there is strategy in soccer, but it is so hard to implement because you cannot really predict what the ball is going to do once it is has been kicked (or head butted or what ever). It is a very chaotic game in relation most other sports. Look, you can try and compare the two sports, but you really can't. Two different animals.

Absolutely not. Not so far as myself goes any way. I cannot speak for every soccer hater, but I'd be willing to bet those with that syndrome are in the minority. If it is a good product, American's will buy it. Period.

Well yeah, if you start a thread on a football board about how much football sucks then you are going to catch some grief. In real life, you might catch some rude remarks, but for the most part people will just blow you off.

As I said, I stayed out of the WC thread, and created my own. Had I posted all this in that thread I'd deserve everything I am getting anyway. Seeing as how I am getting it anyway I might as well go spam that thread....

No I'm not really going to, I'll not stoop to that level.

Raiderhader
07-09-2010, 01:52 PM
Well, you are on a football message board. Its not like he went to a soccer message board and did this. He didn't even do it in the world cup thread.

I've made this point more than once in this thread, no one seems to appreciate it though.

SDChiefs
07-09-2010, 01:52 PM

Hockey was not invented here. But that is popular and I really enjoy it.

Raiderhader
07-09-2010, 01:54 PM

JMO, though.

Possibly, I don't know. Never lived over there and really have no intention of doing so. Partly because of the football thing. ;)

vailpass
07-09-2010, 02:03 PM
Soccer guy is so empowered! Let's do this again in four years.

Saulbadguy
07-09-2010, 02:10 PM
Youre probably right about that. Because then it becomes a National pride thing. Which I can understand a European over here doing it, thinking we are demeaning their culture. But Americans over here doing it? That I do not understand.

I don't see it as a national pride/culture thing. I see it as a sports thing.

Iowanian
07-09-2010, 02:15 PM
"what does your country have, sir?"

"mbwell, U Tsee....We hab starbation, famine, dysentary, small pox, drought, no central functioning govt or economy...but we're EFFING GREAT at futbol!"

Pants
07-09-2010, 02:53 PM
"what does your country have, sir?"

"mbwell, U Tsee....We hab starbation, famine, dysentary, small pox, drought, no central functioning govt or economy...but we're EFFING GREAT at futbol!"

Yeah, the Netherlands and Spain are definitely shit-infested 3rd world countries. JFC.

:facepalm:

SDChiefs
07-09-2010, 03:01 PM
I don't see it as a national pride/culture thing. I see it as a sports thing.

If its just a sports thing, why argue over it? Even though football is, far and away, the most popular sport in America I meet people every day that don't like it or don't like sports period. I don't get it, but I also don't make my sole purpose in life to convince them otherwise. I just say "to each his own" and go on with my life.

KC Dan
07-09-2010, 03:06 PM

JMO, though.Having spent a bit of time in Europe and discussing this with their fans, they see the NFL as wussy rugby players that have to have pads to play, games that last forever with a stop in play every 7 seconds, 45 minutes of commercials, but with very hot cheerleaders that cameramen don't spend enough time on. That is what I heard on hundreds of occasions discussing in Ireland, England and Scotland.

seclark
07-09-2010, 03:08 PM
Having spent a bit of time in Europe and discussing this with their fans, they see the NFL as wussy rugby players that have to have pads to play, games that last forever with a stop in play every 7 seconds, 45 minutes of commercials, but with very hot cheerleaders that cameramen don't spend enough time on. That is what I heard on hundreds of occasions discussing in Ireland, England and Scotland.

seems like they have pretty good points.
sec

SDChiefs
07-09-2010, 03:08 PM
Having spent a bit of time in Europe and discussing this with their fans, they see the NFL as wussy rugby players that have to have pads to play, games that last forever with a stop in play every 7 seconds, 45 minutes of commercials, but with very hot cheerleaders that cameramen don't spend enough time on. That is what I heard on hundreds of occasions discussing in Ireland, England and Scotland.

I would just kindly remind them of the Revolutionary War. :)

vailpass
07-09-2010, 03:20 PM

Like we give a shit what soccer guy and/or euro guy thinks.

Donger
07-09-2010, 03:26 PM
Sure I see that, I also see lot's of guys hitting the shit out of each other. I enjoy the strategy involved. I know there is strategy in soccer, but it is so hard to implement because you cannot really predict what the ball is going to do once it is has been kicked (or head butted or what ever). It is a very chaotic game in relation most other sports. Look, you can try and compare the two sports, but you really can't. Two different animals.

It's only chaotic in your eyes because play doesn't stop every time the ball hits the ground (like football) and you probably don't know the rules.

Absolutely not. Not so far as myself goes any way. I cannot speak for every soccer hater, but I'd be willing to bet those with that syndrome are in the minority. If it is a good product, American's will buy it. Period.

And lots of American do.

Well yeah, if you start a thread on a football board about how much football sucks then you are going to catch some grief. In real life, you might catch some rude remarks, but for the most part people will just blow you off.

As I said, I stayed out of the WC thread, and created my own. Had I posted all this in that thread I'd deserve everything I am getting anyway. Seeing as how I am getting it anyway I might as well go spam that thread....

Well, I don't think football sucks. I try to appreciate aspects of many sports.

KC Dan
07-09-2010, 03:28 PM
Like we give a shit what soccer guy and/or euro guy thinks.I thought that they were dead on especially about the cheerleaders!

Iowanian
07-09-2010, 03:29 PM
Yeah, the Netherlands and Spain are definitely shit-infested 3rd world countries. JFC.

:facepalm:

Yeah....that's EXACTLY what I said.

Silock
07-09-2010, 03:30 PM
From what I've seen, he can stop it if he guesses which way to dive... it's a brute force approach, and I just think you should win the game by playing the game. Soccer fans love to talk up how people don't understand the nuances and strategy, etc; and all that gets thrown out the window.

Sometimes, he can stop it if he guesses the right way. Also, if the ball isn't placed perfectly, the goalie can stop it. There's nuance and strategy in the PK process, but it is a bit different from playing the rest of the game. A PK puts a lot of pressure on your goalkeeper, but there's also pretty significant pressure on the PK taker to make the shot.

vailpass
07-09-2010, 03:32 PM
I thought that they were dead on especially about the cheerleaders!

They may well have been. It's just that I'm under contractual obligation to scoff at euro guy and soccer guy at any opportunity.

Silock
07-09-2010, 03:38 PM
But what do you expect from fans of a sport that discourage even the slightest amount of rough play.....

This just isn't true. There's plenty of physical play allowed and encouraged in soccer.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ruKOEo-PI-I&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ruKOEo-PI-I&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Physical play, but clean play:
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ep6czGrq8uM&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ep6czGrq8uM&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

The problem is that when you get it WRONG, things like THIS happen:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/scFf4eDUklI&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/scFf4eDUklI&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oJzWRtkB8xc&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oJzWRtkB8xc&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

KC Dan
07-09-2010, 03:39 PM
They may well have been. It's just that I'm under contractual obligation to scoff at euro guy and soccer guy at any opportunity.
:LOL:, let me clarify "I thought that they were dead on especially about the (Non-KC Chiefs) cheerleaders!"

Donger
07-09-2010, 03:39 PM

Pretty much, especially the pads part. A lot of Europeans view the United States with a weird combination of disdain (loud-mouthed hooligans with no class or culture) and envy.

Donger
07-09-2010, 03:40 PM

LMAO

RJ
07-09-2010, 03:40 PM
I would just kindly remind them of the Revolutionary War. :)

Back in the late 80's when my Orioles were starting the season with the worst losing streak in the history of baseball I happened to end up playing golf with a couple of British guys. We were in Florida and they asked where I was from. When I told them Baltimore they started in making fun of the Orioles to a point of being annoying. After a while one of them says "But wasn't your team once good? Don't they have a good history?". I told him "Yeah, they used to be great. Sort of like the British Empire".

Oddly, they didn't find my snappy retort to be nearly as amusing as I did.

Donger
07-09-2010, 03:42 PM
Back in the late 80's when my Orioles were starting the season with the worst losing streak in the history of baseball I happened to end up playing golf with a couple of British guys. We were in Florida and they asked where I was from. When I told them Baltimore they started in making fun of the Orioles to a point of being annoying. After a while one of them says "But wasn't your team once good? Don't they have a good history?". I told him "Yeah, they used to be great. Sort of like the British Empire".

Oddly, they didn't find my snappy retort to be nearly as amusing as I did.

LMAO

Pants
07-09-2010, 03:42 PM
Sometimes, he can stop it if he guesses the right way. Also, if the ball isn't placed perfectly, the goalie can stop it. There's nuance and strategy in the PK process, but it is a bit different from playing the rest of the game. A PK puts a lot of pressure on your goalkeeper, but there's also pretty significant pressure on the PK taker to make the shot.

Honestly, I think all the pressure is on the taker. Nobody really ever expects the keeper to stop it, they just hope he does. The keeper knows that if the PK is taken properly (see Gyan's penalty kick against the USA), there is just no way it can be stopped.

Frazod
07-09-2010, 03:47 PM

The pads and the timeouts are both a reflection of the economic realities of the NFL. The pads and other safety gear protect the owners' investments. The commercial breaks pay for it all.

You can bet that if rugby every becomes a multi-billion dollar industry instead of soccer's retarded little brother (which sucks because it's an infinitely better game), their players will be wearing the same protective gear that NFL players do.

Silock
07-09-2010, 03:47 PM

Finesse is AWESOME to watch, IMO. If you find this boring, then I don't know what anyone could tell you. This is why it's called "The Beautiful Game." So much team skill.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yEWlfUcpUQQ&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yEWlfUcpUQQ&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Silock
07-09-2010, 03:49 PM
Honestly, I think all the pressure is on the taker. Nobody really ever expects the keeper to stop it, they just hope he does. The keeper knows that if the PK is taken properly (see Gyan's penalty kick against the USA), there is just no way it can be stopped.

Most PKs aren't taken perfectly, and are stoppable. The key is trying to read the PK taker to see if you can get a clue as to which way he's going, and then make a decision, all done in a split second.

KC Dan
07-09-2010, 03:53 PM
Finesse is AWESOME to watch, IMO. If you find this boring, then I don't know what anyone could tell you. This is why it's called "The Beautiful Game." So much team skill.
</EMBED>
A Highbury Rep for you, Sir!

Donger
07-09-2010, 03:54 PM

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yEWlfUcpUQQ&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yEWlfUcpUQQ&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

That amazing, considering none of those chaps knew where the ball was going to go after they touched it.

niblet
07-09-2010, 03:57 PM
I know there is strategy in soccer, but it is so hard to implement because you cannot really predict what the ball is going to do once it is has been kicked (or head butted or what ever). It is a very chaotic game in relation most other sports. Look, you can try and compare the two sports, but you really can't. Two different animals.

That's a weak argument and really lends credence to the argument that soccer haters just don't understand the sport.

Pants
07-09-2010, 03:57 PM
Most PKs aren't taken perfectly, and are stoppable. The key is trying to read the PK taker to see if you can get a clue as to which way he's going, and then make a decision, all done in a split second.

I know, man. What I'm saying is that the pressure is on the taker and not the keeper. Goalkeepers are not crushed for life after not saving a PK. Ask Roberto Baggio what he he thinks about the 1994 World Cup.

Silock
07-09-2010, 04:00 PM
I know, man. What I'm saying is that the pressure is on the taker and not the keeper. Goalkeepers are not crushed for life after not saving a PK. Ask Roberto Baggio what he he thinks about the 1994 World Cup.

Fair point.

Bearcat
07-09-2010, 04:18 PM

It's not a bit different, it's completely different, and that's my point... and that's how it relates to a free throw shooting contest or an extra point kicking contest. You're taking a small part of the game and deciding who goes home based on that. Yeah, both teams have the same chance, play by the same rules, etc; but I don't watch football for the kickers, I watch it for the football, and that's how I want it decided. I won't go as far as saying the best team always wins in a sudden death/no shootout game, but it's sure as hell a lot closer to it than ending with a gimmick.

Silock
07-09-2010, 04:19 PM
It's not a bit different, it's completely different, and that's my point... and that's how it relates to a free throw shooting contest or an extra point kicking contest. You're taking a small part of the game and deciding who goes home based on that. Yeah, both teams have the same chance, play by the same rules, etc; but I don't watch football for the kickers, I watch it for the football, and that's how I want it decided. I won't go as far as saying the best team always wins in a sudden death/no shootout game, but it's sure as hell a lot closer to it than ending with a gimmick.

It would only be equivalent to a FT shooting contest if another person were allowed to guard you while you shot a FT . . .

Bearcat
07-09-2010, 04:21 PM
It would only be equivalent to a FT shooting contest if another person were allowed to guard you while you shot a FT . . .

And that wouldn't be a very good way to finish a basketball game, either.

KC Dan
07-09-2010, 04:23 PM
It's not a bit different, it's completely different, and that's my point... and that's how it relates to a free throw shooting contest or an extra point kicking contest. You're taking a small part of the game and deciding who goes home based on that. Yeah, both teams have the same chance, play by the same rules, etc; but I don't watch football for the kickers, I watch it for the football, and that's how I want it decided. I won't go as far as saying the best team always wins in a sudden death/no shootout game, but it's sure as hell a lot closer to it than ending with a gimmick.The one thing you are missing are the (2) 15 min extra time (OT). In that way, each team has 30 minutes of chances to win AND if it is still tied, they BOTH get (5) PK shots. In the NFL, coin flip, march 30-40 yds, FG -> game over. There is around a 50% chance the other team never touches the ball again. That is insane and I have always hated it.

Pants
07-09-2010, 04:23 PM
Reminds me when denise was arguing against PKs with me way back when. I don't think people realize how hard it is to play for 120 minutes.

KC Dan
07-09-2010, 04:24 PM
Reminds me when denise was arguing against PKs with me way back when. I don't think people realize how hard it is to play for 120 minutes.The golden goal crap really sucked. Just like NFL OT's....

SDChiefs
07-09-2010, 04:24 PM

If the game is tied at EOR they should just have each teams cheerlearders mud wrestle eachother until a victor is crowned.

Pants
07-09-2010, 04:25 PM

Umm, you do realize that it is much, much easier to score in basketball than it is in soccer, right? Ditto for football. The only games that can hypothetically go forever are the ones where dudes aren't running around for 90 ****ing minutes, i.e. baseball.

SDChiefs
07-09-2010, 04:26 PM
The one thing you are missing are the (2) 15 min extra time (OT). In that way, each team has 30 minutes of chances to win AND if it is still tied, they BOTH get (5) PK shots. In the NFL, coin flip, march 30-40 yds, FG -> game over. There is around a 50% chance the other team never touches the ball again. That is insane and I have always hated it.

Agreed. They should make it that a TD wins but if they kick a FG the other team has the chance to tie it or win.

Pants
07-09-2010, 04:27 PM
The golden goal crap really sucked. Just like NFL OT's....

Yeah. NFL OT is literally aggravating. Just pure BS.

Pants
07-09-2010, 04:28 PM
Agreed. They should make it that a TD wins but if they kick a FG the other team has the chance to tie it or win.

No, they should give each team a chance to defend at least once.

KC Dan
07-09-2010, 04:32 PM
If the game is tied at EOR they should just have each teams cheerlearders mud wrestle eachother until a victor is crowned.
THREAD OVAH!

SDChiefs
07-09-2010, 04:33 PM
No, they should give each team a chance to defend at least once.

And then have ties like in soccer. No way. Id prefer the current format any day of the week.

Pants
07-09-2010, 04:37 PM
And then have ties like in soccer. No way. Id prefer the current format any day of the week.

So leave it up to complete luck? Yeah, that's always the best way to decide the winner. Why don't they just play some rock/paper/scissors instead? LMAO

SDChiefs
07-09-2010, 04:42 PM
So leave it up to complete luck? Yeah, that's always the best way to decide the winner. Why don't they just play some rock/paper/scissors instead? LMAO

Its not complete luck. Too many times have I seen teams get into FG position on 1st down and just run the ball up the middle and kick a FG. Thats BS. My way would force them to score a TD or the other team would have a chance to tie or win it. Sure the "advantage" goes to the team that wins the coin toss but it doesn't seal the fate of the loser.

Pants
07-09-2010, 04:45 PM
Its not complete luck. Too many times have I seen teams get into FG position on 1st down and just run the ball up the middle and kick a FG. Thats BS. My way would force them to score a TD or the other team would have a chance to tie or win it. Sure the "advantage" goes to the team that wins the coin toss but it doesn't seal the fate of the loser.

It's still not an equal opportunity and is too much of an advantage. It's ludicrous to even try and somehow defend it.

SDChiefs
07-09-2010, 04:49 PM
It's still not an equal opportunity and is too much of an advantage. It's ludicrous to even try and somehow defend it.

All of a sudden the team that loses the toss can't take the field to defend the endzone? They have every oppurtunity to not only cause a turnover but just have to hold them to a FG to give the Offense a chance to win it. What do you suggest they do? Arm wrestle to determine who gets the ball first?

Pants
07-09-2010, 04:50 PM
All of a sudden the team that loses the toss can't take the field to defend the endzone? They have every oppurtunity to not only cause a turnover but just have to hold them to a FG to give the Offense a chance to win it. What do you suggest they do? Arm wrestle to determine who gets the ball first?

No, I suggest they both get the opportunity to score.

Bearcat
07-09-2010, 04:52 PM
LOL, you're all missing my point... forget the analogies. Winning a game by playing soccer is completely different than winning a game by a shootout. The outcome is determined by a very small part of the game (penalty kicks) and not by playing the game. We'll play a while, and if we don't have a winner, f*** it we'll have a kicking contest. We're the best team in the world... well, we couldn't actually beat the other team, but we won the little kicking contest at the end, yay!

It's a fun little gimmick to break a tie in the regular season, like hockey, but it's no way to determine the best team in the world during single elimination games.

KC Dan
07-09-2010, 04:54 PM
LOL, you're all missing my point... forget the analogies. Winning a game by playing soccer is completely different than winning a game by a shootout. The outcome is determined by a very small part of the game (penalty kicks) and not by playing the game. We'll play a while, and if we don't have a winner, f*** it we'll have a kicking contest. We're the best team in the world... well, we couldn't actually beat the other team, but we won the little kicking contest at the end, yay!

It's a fun little gimmick to break a tie in the regular season, like hockey, but it's no way to determine the best team in the world during single elimination games.Just like a FG except the other team gets a shot as well. Spin it however you want...

SDChiefs
07-09-2010, 04:54 PM

And when they both score, there is a tie. Its football. That can't go all night playing on until someone actually comes out ahead like in baseball. Its too physically demanding. I will give the slight advantage to the winner of the coin toss as opposed to having to settle for ties. You don't play sports to be equal to your competition. You play to be better. There can be only one champion.

SDChiefs
07-09-2010, 04:57 PM

Or how about this. The team with the most yards at the end of the game gets the ball first. Then its not luck. Its taking over what they did in regulation to give them the advantage in OT. It doesn't have to be yards, it can be whatever catagory they deem most prevelent.

Bearcat
07-09-2010, 04:58 PM
Just like a FG except the other team gets a shot as well. Spin it however you want...

You don't have a FG kicking contest at the end... and I never defended the NFL's OT, but if a team scores first in OT in the NFL, they'll do it playing football, not doing something different at the end of the game.

As far as the NFL, I don't know the perfect solution to the possession debate.... but at least you keep playing football.

Pants
07-09-2010, 04:59 PM
And when they both score, there is a tie. Its football. That can't go all night playing on until someone actually comes out ahead like in baseball. Its too physically demanding. I will give the slight advantage to the winner of the coin toss as opposed to having to settle for ties. You don't play sports to be equal to your competition. You play to be better. There can be only one champion.

PURE luck doesn't make you better or a champion. How can you not see this? I'd rather have a tie than give an advantage to a lucky team and proclaim them a winner.

KC Dan
07-09-2010, 05:03 PM
I think that I have to side with the Mud-wrestling cheerleaders FTW!

Baby Lee
07-09-2010, 05:27 PM
Soooooo your saying soccer is retarded?

No, I'm saying even if you think a kid looks retarded, if you tell proud new parents that, it might meet with hostile response.

Similar when telling a group partially composed of fans of an activity how 'ghey' you think said activity is, particular when you don't offer up what your interests you for criticism.

Silock
07-09-2010, 05:36 PM
You don't have a FG kicking contest at the end... and I never defended the NFL's OT, but if a team scores first in OT in the NFL, they'll do it playing football, not doing something different at the end of the game.

As far as the NFL, I don't know the perfect solution to the possession debate.... but at least you keep playing football.

Meh, is it perfect? No. But it's as if PKs aren't a part of the game in regulation.

WoodDraw
07-09-2010, 05:53 PM
A lot of soccer fans don't like PKs either. There's just not a good alternative. Golden goal is shit, silver goal nearly useless. It's simply not possible to continue overtime until a goal gets scored. What do you do after 120 mintes? Another 30 minutes? Players would barely be able to move. It's hard to think of a better alternative.

Frankie
07-09-2010, 06:24 PM
I don't have a long lost love for baseball either and don't even watch the World Series. Like I said, to each their own.

Then I don't have any debate with you, Bwana. There ARE people though who call Soccer boring and watch Golf and/or Baseball religiously.

Frankie
07-09-2010, 06:26 PM
I'm by no means a "soccer fan".

I watched some of the World Cup. Sorta got into it momentarily, then realized I was just buying into the hype and legitimately could not give one shit about the sport outside of blatant jingoism.

That being said, I am going to the ManU/Wizards game. My friend's coming back on leave for a couple weeks and is on a soccer kick of sorts, so I'm gonna give it another chance in person. We'll see how it all shakes out.

I think you'll enjoy the outing.

WoodDraw
07-09-2010, 06:32 PM
Club friendlies are typically pretty horrendous affairs, but the atmosphere will be fun. If it was a different big club, I would probably go.

Pants
07-09-2010, 06:44 PM
If it was a different big club, I would probably go.

Same here.

Pants
07-09-2010, 06:45 PM
Or how about this. The team with the most yards at the end of the game gets the ball first. Then its not luck. Its taking over what they did in regulation to give them the advantage in OT. It doesn't have to be yards, it can be whatever catagory they deem most prevelent.

That's actually a very solid idea.

|Zach|
07-09-2010, 07:01 PM
Have you really not been paying attention to thread? Some cannot understand why I just don't like it, and it is driving them bonkers. Hell, I get it at work too.

My first post is exactly how I feel about it. I'm not going to be PC or diplomatic about it. If the poor little soccer fans are rubbed the wrong way, that is their problem, they ought to toughen up. But what do you expect from fans of a sport that discourage even the slightest amount of rough play.....

And nothing passive aggressive here, this thread is for soccer haters. If you are a soccer lover and participate in this thread and get all out of whack over it, that is all on you. Because you know, you could simply ignore it and stick to posting in a thread of like minded people. You have your circle jerk, I'll have mine.

That is fine if that is how you feel about it...however...don't be surprised that people treat you like a douche bag when you start off a thread like one.

"The more I say I dislike it the more people talk down to me." ROFL

Raiderhader
07-10-2010, 01:08 PM
No, I'm saying even if you think a kid looks retarded, if you tell proud new parents that, it might meet with hostile response.

Similar when telling a group partially composed of fans of an activity how 'ghey' you think said activity is, particular when you don't offer up what your interests you for criticism.

I'm sorry that I offended all the weak sensibilities of the poor widdle soccer fans. F#ck! For being the most popular sport in the world, ya'll are a bunch of insecure b!tches.

Raiderhader
07-10-2010, 01:10 PM
That is fine if that is how you feel about it...however...don't be surprised that people treat you like a douche bag when you start off a thread like one.

"The more I say I dislike it the more people talk down to me." ROFL

So expressing my own opinion that differs from yours makes me a douche bag? Get real Zach. I have as much right to express my opinion as you do to IGNORE it.

Baby Lee
07-10-2010, 01:13 PM
I'm sorry that I offended all the weak sensibilities of the poor widdle soccer fans. F#ck! For being the most popular sport in the world, ya'll are a bunch of insecure b!tches.

Still too much of a little bitch to reveal the shitty retard things you enjoy for well deserved derision, I see.

Baby Lee
07-10-2010, 01:16 PM
So expressing my own opinion that differs from yours makes me a douche bag? Get real Zach. I have as much right to express my opinion as you do to IGNORE it.

Still a floppy worn-out cooter exhaling her yeasty goodness about how you have the right to think soccer is ghey, but we're stepping over some line for thinking you are a douche

Raiderhader
07-10-2010, 01:19 PM
Still too much of a little bitch to reveal the shitty retard things you enjoy for well deserved derision, I see.

WTF are you talking about? I've been posting on this board just as long as you have. I think my likes and dislikes are fairly well known, at least to anyone who matters.

Baby Lee
07-10-2010, 01:23 PM
WTF are you talking about? I've been posting on this board just as long as you have. I think my likes and dislikes are fairly well known, at least to anyone who matters.

Maybe you just aren't that memorable, unless you're flapping your minge as in this thread.

Raiderhader
07-10-2010, 01:24 PM
Still a floppy worn-out cooter exhaling her yeasty goodness about how you have the right to think soccer is ghey, but we're stepping over some line for thinking you are a douche

Stepping over a line for thinking me a douche? Not at all. I find it some what amusing. And it further proves my point that a lot of soccer fans are elitist.

Stepping over a line for wishing me to die in a fire? Yeah, probably. Which by the way would make you the douche. ;)

Raiderhader
07-10-2010, 01:31 PM
Maybe you just aren't that memorable, unless you're flopping your minge.

Like I said, to any one who matters.

Seeing as how you obviously do not but would like a list I'll provide you a few things:

(in no particular order)
*Guns/Shooting
*Horses/Horseback riding
*A fine bourbon
*A fine rum
*A fine cigar
*KC Chiefs
*KC Royals
*KSU football
*KSU basketball
*Movies
*Music
*Reading
*History
*Hiking in the mountains
*BBQ
*Getting your panties in a wad

Baby Lee
07-10-2010, 01:40 PM
First off, with that list, methinks thou doth protest too much, why not just co-opt a Tool Time Taylor grunt rant?
*Horses/Horseback riding
Is just the soothing jostling of your lady parts as you flounce across the plains, or does your 'ghey' horse directly join in on the action?

Reaper16
07-10-2010, 01:40 PM
Like I said, to any one who matters.

Seeing as how you obviously do not but would like a list I'll provide you a few things:

(in no particular order)
*Guns/Shooting
*Horses/Horseback riding
*A fine bourbon
*A fine rum
*A fine cigar
*KC Chiefs
*KC Royals
*KSU football
*KSU basketball
*Movies
*Music
*Reading
*History
*Hiking in the mountains
*BBQ
*Getting your panties in a wad

Ghey

Raiderhader
07-10-2010, 01:43 PM
First off, with that list, methinks thou doth protest too much, why not just co-opt a Tool Time Taylor grunt rant?

Feel free to go through my 10 years of posting and see what doesn't match up.

Is just the soothing jostling of your lady parts as you flounce across the plains, or does your 'ghey' horse directly join in on the action?

Directly involved, not that it is any of your business.

Baby Lee
07-10-2010, 01:44 PM
Ghey

Oh come ON!! He's all man, and he's on a horse. And there's a reason that commercial ended when it did. ROFL

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/owGykVbfgUE&rel=0&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/owGykVbfgUE&rel=0&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Silock
07-10-2010, 01:47 PM

It isn't THAT you expressed your opinion. It's the way you did it.

Simply Red
07-10-2010, 01:51 PM

wow, all quiet, then, suddenly. This.....? IMO anytime that there's a struggle to score a point, or in this game, 'a goal' - I find the sport EVEN MORE 'desirable.' -- I'm just curious about the rant, I don't really know you, but a lot on here do. Just never have seen you this fired-up.

Simply Red
07-10-2010, 01:58 PM
I bought this Ballack --> http://i26.tinypic.com/504jmq.jpg -- but my Spain #6 is what really pulls the cock for me.

Simply Red
07-10-2010, 02:03 PM
http://i29.tinypic.com/153lna9.gif

Bwana
07-10-2010, 02:06 PM

Looks like a slap fight. LMAO

Simply Red
07-10-2010, 02:07 PM
Looks like a slap fight. LMAO

THAT def. IS ghey, NTTAWWT, but thought i'd throw that in there.

Rausch
07-10-2010, 02:13 PM

Sad.

My good sweet Jesus birdbath.

We have no "shoulder players." No one physical who can use a subtle lean and just cut off a guy.

RJ
07-10-2010, 02:16 PM
This is an interesting thread. I'm looking forward to the end when one side or the other collectively admits to the error of its ways.

Simply Red
07-10-2010, 02:30 PM
This is an interesting thread. I'm looking forward to the end when one side or the other collectively admits to the error of its ways.

It's pretty obvious who acted out, not a biggie though, we ALL have opinions, just have never seen him/her act like that. But I don't know him, like many of you do.

RJ
07-10-2010, 02:38 PM
It's pretty obvious who acted out, not a biggie though, we ALL have opinions, just have never seen him/her act like that. But I don't know him, like many of you do.

I'm just being a smartass, SR. I don't really believe this issue will have a resolution. It's sort of like the Middle East, only without suicide bombers.

Stewie
07-10-2010, 02:41 PM
http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/4329/part1a.jpg
http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/2197/part2gn.jpg

Frazod
07-10-2010, 02:42 PM
Maybe you just aren't that memorable, unless you're flapping your minge as in this thread.

Yeah, right. He's living in your head right now. This is funny as hell. LMAO

Raiderhader
07-10-2010, 02:46 PM
It isn't THAT you expressed your opinion. It's the way you did it.

Honestly? I'm sorry, I keep forgetting that is a crime in today's P.C. world. :whackit:

Raiderhader
07-10-2010, 02:48 PM
wow, all quiet, then, suddenly. This.....? IMO anytime that there's a struggle to score a point, or in this game, 'a goal' - I find the sport EVEN MORE 'desirable.' -- I'm just curious about the rant, I don't really know you, but a lot on here do. Just never have seen you this fired-up.

Fired up? Heh, hardly. Get me on a Denise rant and you'll see fired up. This is just stupid fun.

Simply Red
07-10-2010, 02:50 PM
Fired up? Heh, hardly. Get me on a Denise rant and you'll see fired up. This is just stupid fun.

good, that's what I thought, you're a great poster, sorta snobby, but a good poster, nonetheless. :)

Frazod
07-10-2010, 02:50 PM
The funny thing is, I have all the world cup threads on ignore. They're about soccer, and I don't care. This isn't a thread about soccer - it's a thread about hating soccer, so I chimed in.

You'd think all the soccer fans could just ignore it in much the same way I ignore their threads.

But apparently not.

Raiderhader
07-10-2010, 02:53 PM
That Bucky comic strip has me rolling right now. LMAO

Raiderhader
07-10-2010, 02:54 PM
Yeah, right. He's living in your head right now. This is funny as hell. LMAO

This is what I do.

the Talking Can
07-10-2010, 02:54 PM

looks like Dion Sanders and Michael Irvin

Reaper16
07-10-2010, 02:55 PM
The funny thing is, I have all the world cup threads on ignore. They're about soccer, and I don't care. This isn't a thread about soccer - it's a thread about hating soccer, so I chimed in.

You'd think all the soccer fans could just ignore it in much the same way I ignore their threads.

But apparently not.
How many Jayhawk threads talking smack on Mizzou do you stay out of?

Simply Red
07-10-2010, 02:55 PM
This is what I do.

so you DO like soccer?

the Talking Can
07-10-2010, 02:56 PM
Gheyest sport in the world. That pretty much sums it up.

oh, and you're a flaming dumbass who enjoys baseball.....yeah....

Raiderhader
07-10-2010, 02:57 PM

But apparently not.

Do you realize how many f#cking times I have brought this up in this thread and it is completely ignored? But I'm the douche bag. I'm the passive agressive prick that needs to die in a fire. I'm the one who is way out of line here. :shake:

Sad thing is, this is just a game we are arguing over, you would think I had insulted their mothers or something.

Simply Red
07-10-2010, 02:57 PM
shit just got real and this may not end well. I just packed a bowl and poured an Indian River Grapefruit, pls do, carry on.

Raiderhader
07-10-2010, 02:58 PM
so you DO like soccer?

Absof#ckinglutey not.

Simply Red
07-10-2010, 02:59 PM
Absof#ckinglutey not.

;) BTW, you going to the bash?

Stewie
07-10-2010, 02:59 PM
shit just got real and this may not end well. I just packed a bowl and poured an Indian River Grapefruit, pls do, carry on.

This is code to me. Are you smoking dope? I don't know what IRG is. I thought you were sober.

Reaper16
07-10-2010, 03:02 PM
This is code to me. Are you smoking dope? I don't know what IRG is. I thought you were sober.
IRG is grapefruit juice. Duh.

Simply Red
07-10-2010, 03:02 PM

http://i29.tinypic.com/20t1fa1.jpg

Stewie
07-10-2010, 03:03 PM
Sorry for my ignorance.

Bwana
07-10-2010, 03:05 PM
Honestly? I'm sorry, I keep forgetting that is a crime in today's P.C. world. :whackit:

You did get a lot of people to "take the bait." LMAO

http://steadfastfinances.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/hook-line-and-sinker-toastyken.jpg

Frazod
07-10-2010, 03:06 PM
Do you realize how many f#cking times I have brought this up in this thread and it is completely ignored? But I'm the douche bag. I'm the passive agressive prick that needs to die in a fire. I'm the one who is way out of line here. :shake:

Sad thing is, this is just a game we are arguing over, you would think I had insulted their mothers or something.

It's nice to see him get all fired up, though. This is probably the closest he's come to manly behavior in years. :D

Simply Red
07-10-2010, 03:06 PM
Sorry for my ignorance.

dude Stewie, it'scool. Surprised you'd never heard of it, though.

Frazod
07-10-2010, 03:10 PM
How many Jayhawk threads talking smack on Mizzou do you stay out of?

Figures you'd like soccer. Color me shocked. :rolleyes:

And what does antipathy for a specific team have to do with not liking a sport in general?

I don't like golf or NASCAR, either. In fact I think they all suck about equally. You going to bitch about that, too?

Raiderhader
07-10-2010, 03:15 PM
;) BTW, you going to the bash?

Probably not. Not unless some act of God occurs that I am not foreseeing at the moment.

Raiderhader
07-10-2010, 03:18 PM
It's nice to see him get all fired up, though. This is probably the closest he's come to manly behavior in years. :D

LOL It is amusing to see someone who's trademark is passive aggressiveness accuse someone else of it and become so enraged by it that he slips out of his passive state and goes full blown aggressive.

vailpass
07-10-2010, 03:20 PM

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
That honestly does nothing for me. If one of those guys would have instantly bulked up to 260 pounds and hit someone at full speed it may have spiced it up a little but even then.........

|Zach|
07-10-2010, 03:24 PM

No. the bolded part wasn't my point. And if you actually read the post you responded to that is blatantly clear.

Simply Red
07-10-2010, 03:26 PM

And what does antipathy for a specific team have to do with not liking a sport in general?

I don't like golf or NASCAR, either. In fact I think they all suck about equally. You going to bitch about that, too?

No, Nascar sucks, but you weren't talking to me.

Simply Red
07-10-2010, 03:28 PM
No. the bolded part wasn't my point. And if you actually read the post you responded to that is blatantly clear.

I don't think he REALLY INTENDED ill-will, he's bustin-balls, no biggie, i don't think. Heck Soccer (specifically) is 'love or hate' period.

Reaper16
07-10-2010, 03:30 PM

I'm don't mind if you don't like soccer. I was just remarking on the silliness of you expecting soccer fans to not complain about people talking shit on soccer when you yourself probably wouldn't refrain from talking smack back to someone badmouthing something that you like.

Baby Lee
07-10-2010, 03:33 PM
LOL It is amusing to see someone who's trademark is passive aggressiveness accuse someone else of it and become so enraged by it that he slips out of his passive state and goes full blown aggressive.

Bullshit. Point out where I've ever been passive aggressive, unless it's toying with a midnight vulture type, or clearly mutually jesting with someone.

Far cry from you pretending your meaning was ambiguous while admitting elsewhere that you were trying to demean people.

And FTR, I'm not 'wound up' about you not liking soccer, you've made it clear with your own words that you don't even understand what you're watching, so it's all so much 'Hulk smash' [note I'm not saying everyone who doesn't like doesn't understand it, just your dumb ass, as evidenced in your own words].

If you weren't 'ignoring' the WC thread, you'd see that there have been plenty of people dogging it without me saying a word.

But yes I think being disingenuous on a BB is a pretty shitty thing to do. And I've been reliable in that opinion for nigh on to a decade. Pretty much means we would be well served to take anything you say from here on out as just a lie.

MoF, Dane tried to pull the same type of shit in the Lost thread, to a similar reaction not a couple of weeks ago.

Simply Red
07-10-2010, 03:36 PM
Bullshit. Point out where I've ever been passive aggressive, unless it's toying with a midnight vulture type, or clearly mutually jesting with someone.

Far cry from you pretending your meaning was ambiguous while admitting elsewhere that you were trying to demean people.

And FTR, I'm not 'wound up' about you not liking soccer, you've made it clear with your own words that you don't even understand what you're watching, so it's all so much 'Hulk smash' [note I'm not saying everyone who doesn't like doesn't understand it, just your dumb ass, as evidenced in your own words].

But yes I think being disingenuous on a BB is a pretty shitty thing to do. And I've been reliable in that opinion for nigh on to a decade. Pretty much means we would be well served to take anything you say from here on out as just a lie.

hey! my avatar is a JOKE you bastard! :p

Simply Red
07-10-2010, 03:39 PM
two class of Aug2000 having it out, this hasn't happened in MANY years.

http://i40.tinypic.com/2ep1p92.jpg

Frankie
07-10-2010, 03:46 PM
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
That honestly does nothing for me. If one of those guys would have instantly bulked up to 260 pounds and hit someone at full speed it may have spiced it up a little but even then.........

Your loss.

vailpass
07-10-2010, 03:48 PM
Your loss.

I'll bring all of my coping skills to bear and somehow muddle through it.

Simply Red
07-10-2010, 03:55 PM
I'll bring all of my coping skills to bear and somehow muddle through it.

I'm not even quite sure what the two of you are talking about, but that's a funny reply, so props there.

Raiderhader
07-10-2010, 03:59 PM

What isn't clear to you is that my thread starter is my opinion as I truly feel about the game. So the bolded portion IS your point.

vailpass
07-10-2010, 04:03 PM
What isn't clear to you is that my thread starter is my opinion as I truly feel about the game. So the bolded portion IS your point.

You need to get a grip, let me help you see it from soccer guy's point of view:

*Posting a thread for people to say they like soccer is ok
*Posting in that thread that you think soccer is ghey is NOT ok
*Posting a thread for people to say soccer is ghey is NOT ok
*Posting in the soccer-is-ghey thread that you like soccer is ok

Got it?
Good. Remember it for the next time soccer comes up 4 years from now.

Simply Red
07-10-2010, 04:06 PM
this is silly at this point. :grouphug:

Raiderhader
07-10-2010, 04:09 PM
I have just a few minutes before work starts so let me try and jump on this real quick....

I have seen it countless times. And I'll go look those times up just as soon as you go research my interests.

As far as me admitting that I was trying to demean people; no where have I admitted to any such thing. That is clearly in your imagination, something you have made up to justify your churlish behavior.

For not being wound up you sure as shit seem to be going off the deep end, and refusing to let the matter rest.

And it is only your opinion that I do not understand the game. Two people can look at the same thing and see two very different things. It isn't that I do not understand thew game, it is that I just see it in a different light.

If you weren't 'ignoring' the WC thread, you'd see that there have been plenty of people dogging it without me saying a word.

Good for you. I'm still not going to stoop to raining on everyone else's parade in their own thread. I'll leave that for people like you.

MoF, Dane tried to pull the same type of shit in the Lost thread, to a similar reaction not a couple of weeks ago.

Me disingenuous? Ask any of the people on the board that know me personally if that is the case. You could not be more wrong. But that is your opinion and you are more than welcome to it.

I'm off to pay some bills.

Raiderhader
07-10-2010, 04:10 PM

Got it?

Duly noted. Later ya'll.

Baby Lee
07-10-2010, 04:15 PM

Got it?

Thing is, those ring pretty much true for ANYTHING you proclaim to be 'ghey' particularly when you admit you do so to express disdain.

Disregarding how completely fucked out equating gay with demeaning is, you guys need to look into why you have this urge to express disdain so publically.

I submit it comes at least in part due to dislike for those who are enjoying themselves. I don't make it a practice to go to the park and tell the folks playing chess how boring I find chess to be. I don't head down to the bowling alley to yell at the fat slobs and their fat slob families. Same for the spinsters playing bingo. Or the emo kids going to watch Twilight. But if I saw someone I disliked playing chess or bowling, etc., I might make some pointed remarks.

To go to the effort of calling something out as gay in a public forum has a Fred Phelps quality to it. And lying about your intent in the process is just an extra dunk in the douche bucket.

Simply Red
07-10-2010, 04:16 PM
I have just a few minutes before work starts so let me try and jump on this real quick....

I have seen it countless times. And I'll go look those times up just as soon as you go research my interests.

As far as me admitting that I was trying to demean people; no where have I admitted to any such thing. That is clearly in your imagination, something you have made up to justify your churlish behavior.

For not being wound up you sure as shit seem to be going off the deep end, and refusing to let the matter rest.

And it is only your opinion that I do not understand the game. Two people can look at the same thing and see two very different things. It isn't that I do not understand thew game, it is that I just see it in a different light.

Good for you. I'm still not going to stoop to raining on everyone else's parade in their own thread. I'll leave that for people like you.

Me disingenuous? Ask any of the people on the board that know me personally if that is the case. You could not be more wrong. But that is your opinion and you are more than welcome to it.

I'm off to pay some bills.

It's 'Return some video-tapes' - n00b! ;)

Baby Lee
07-10-2010, 04:18 PM
Raiderhader. It would seem voicing my disdain for the sport of soccer was the equivilant of pissing in his Cheerios.

I haven't had a good cigar in a while, I'm due. Might have to pick a San Cristbol tomorrow when I get into town.

vailpass
07-10-2010, 04:24 PM
Thing is, those ring pretty much true for ANYTHING you proclaim to be 'ghey' particularly when you admit you do so to express disdain.

Disregarding how completely ****ed out equating gay with demeaning is, you guys need to look into why you have this urge to express disdain so publically.

I submit it comes at least in part due to dislike for those who are enjoying themselves. I don't make it a practice to go to the park and tell the folks playing chess how boring I find chess to be. I don't head down to the bowling alley to yell at the fat slobs and their fat slob families. Same for the spinsters playing bingo. Or the emo kids going to watch Twilight. But if I saw someone I disliked playing chess or bowling, etc., I might make some pointed remarks.

To go to the effort of calling something out as gay in a public forum has a Fred Phelps quality to it. And lying about your intent in the process is just an extra dunk in the douche bucket.

What a ghey post.

Simply Red
07-10-2010, 04:25 PM
it's fun to watch two extreme veterans on this site, argue. They're generally the BEST at it.

bevischief
07-10-2010, 06:11 PM
I haven't read all the posts in this thread, but I have played over 25+ seasons and I have a hard time watching soccer any more, in person is a different story. No kids to watch. Health problems from playing for so long don't help, another reason not to watch.

vailpass
07-10-2010, 06:21 PM
I haven't read all the posts in this thread, but I have played over 25+ seasons and I have a hard time watching soccer any more, in person is a different story. No kids to watch. Health problems from playing for so long don't help, another reason not to watch.

If you want a synopsis of this thread you can head to the zoo and watch monkeys fling poop at each other.

Hope your health problems get better.

Silock
07-10-2010, 07:06 PM

Dude, it's not a crime. You are free to express your opinion, but you did it in a very passive aggressive way. You first came out with all fire and vitriol, then tried to pretend like you hadn't. Don't do that. It's disingenuous. Just own it.

Simply Red
07-10-2010, 07:07 PM
If you want a synopsis of this thread you can head to the zoo and watch monkeys fling poop at each other.

LMFAO!

Silock
07-10-2010, 07:11 PM
It isn't that I do not understand thew game, it is that I just see it in a different light.

That's cool. Not everyone has to agree.

Me disingenuous?

I don't know you. I doubt you are like this in real life. I only said it because that's what it appears to be in this thread. One can express a particular quality at times without actually embodying it as a person.

Simply Red
07-10-2010, 07:15 PM
Dude, it's not a crime. You are free to express your opinion, but you did it in a very passive aggressive way. You first came out with all fire and vitriol, then tried to pretend like you hadn't. Don't do that. It's disingenuous. Just own it.

sometimes it's tough to gauge output/intention on here, as well as perception and degrees of doing so. It's the sort of medium it is, well, same w/ email and I-M. - I've had numerous threads where I was poking fun, but not w/ any intention of hurting anyone, yet it did. It's just the nature of it, and soccer is a sport, some peoples mothers on here died and have sick relatives, I guess I just wish more folks would pick up their (nobody in this instance -or- maybe both) ****ing pride and shake hands and put things into perspective. I've made a career of it. That's why I have so much mutual love to dish, even to the occasional posters. everyone here is special, i just wish we could get past petty shit. well i've been on this bitch all day.

Peace

bevischief
07-10-2010, 07:55 PM

That is what I thought...LMAO

Spott
07-10-2010, 10:21 PM
I've played in a few different indoor and outdoor soccer leagues and although I enjoyed playing it, I never could stand to watch it. That flopping crap those players do every time they get the ball stolen from them is really weak. I can see why people hate to watch it.

RJ
07-10-2010, 10:26 PM
This is the best soccer hating thread ever!!!!

Raiderhader
07-10-2010, 11:07 PM

Uhm, I don't get it. No where did I say anything about anyone. I said I hated SOCCER. If that is deaming SOMEONE, you and I have a different opinion of "someone". Again, you are imagining things that are not.

Raiderhader
07-10-2010, 11:10 PM

I never pretended that I didn't type what I clearly did type. I will type it again just so that there is no misunderstanding about me "owning" my words: soccer is the gheyest sport in the world. At no point in time have I backed away from that, nor do I intend to. That is my opinion and I am sticking by it. This passive aggressive accusation is nothing more than bullshit.

Raiderhader
07-10-2010, 11:14 PM
That's cool. Not everyone has to agree.

I don't know you. I doubt you are like this in real life. I only said it because that's what it appears to be in this thread. One can express a particular quality at times without actually embodying it as a person.

All I can say is that you have not been paying attention. My stance and words are the same in real life as they are here, and no where have I pretended otherwise in this thread. Same from thread starter to this post. I f#cking hate soccer. Period, end of discussion.

Raiderhader
07-10-2010, 11:14 PM
This is the best soccer hating thread ever!!!!

At least something has come of all this....

WoodDraw
07-10-2010, 11:16 PM
I'm fascinated about how many people feel the need to make their soccer hatred known to the world. It's a stage of passage in their daily lives. I've now reaffirmed my life by telling everyone how much I hate soccer.

I've spent quite a bit of time in Europe, and they make fun of baseball and football quite a bit. But if you take them to a game, they generally get into it while making fun of the commercial atmosphere of it all. Soccer is like a political subject here though. It's just weird...

RJ
07-10-2010, 11:29 PM
Anyway, I don't know if you guys heard but there's this big soccer thing going on right now in Africa I think. And I heard it's all kind of ghey (sp?) but there's like a big championship game tomorrow and whoever wins gets some kind of trophy or something.

I'm not going to be able to watch cause I'm going to be playing golf which is definitely not ghey (sp?) and we all know that's true cause Tiger Woods is the King Of Golf and he f@kks every female that moves, including Waffle House waitresses. I've f@kked a few Waffle House waitresses myself over the years but it didn't cost me anywhere near $7 million. I think the most I ever spent was like $10 for vodka and $40 for a motel room out by the interstate. The only bad part was that the trailer she lived in was way out of town and I had to drive her all the way back there the next morning. She invited me in but her kids were all crying and stuff and her sister looked pissed so I just went on my way.

DJay23
07-10-2010, 11:50 PM
I'm fascinated about how many people feel the need to make their soccer hatred known to the world. It's a stage of passage in their daily lives. I've now reaffirmed my life by telling everyone how much I hate soccer.

I've spent quite a bit of time in Europe, and they make fun of baseball and football quite a bit. But if you take them to a game, they generally get into it while making fun of the commercial atmosphere of it all. Soccer is like a political subject here though. It's just weird...

We seem to see things more as black and white than they do elsewhere in the world. It's like a condition of our collective psyche to be all for something or all against it. Maybe indifference is seen as weak or stupid, I don't know.

I don't get the point of publicly and loudly saying you hate something around people you KNOW like it unless it's to start shit. I hate the NBA game and could really give a shit about Lebron, the Lakers, or Kobe, but I don't feel a need to announce it on message boards or in public where it is clearly being discussed by people who do enjoy it.

milkman
07-10-2010, 11:59 PM
We seem to see things more as black and white than they do elsewhere in the world. It's like a condition of our collective psyche to be all for something or all against it. Maybe indifference is seen as weak or stupid, I don't know.

I don't get the point of publicly and loudly saying you hate something around people you KNOW like it unless it's to start shit. I hate the NBA game and could really give a shit about Lebron, the Lakers, or Kobe, but I don't feel a need to announce it on message boards or in public where it is clearly being discussed by people who do enjoy it.

The truth is that soccer fan does get more bent out of shape than fans of most sports in this country.

It's really easy to get under their skin.

Someone tells me that they don't like football, baseball, basketball, whatever, what do I care.

But soccer fan gets upset.

It's an inferiority complex.

WoodDraw
07-11-2010, 12:01 AM

It truly is. When Wimbledon goes on no one feels the need to talk about the evils of tenis. For some reason soccer provokes an incredible harsh reaction.

The crazy thing is - I think soccer is probably the closest game you'll find to football in the level of club support and overall intensity. The opposing cultures just don't appreciate it for some reason.

WoodDraw
07-11-2010, 12:07 AM
The truth is that soccer fan does get more bent out of shape than fans of most sports in this country.

It's really easy to get under their skin.

Someone tells me that they don't like football, baseball, basketball, whatever, what do I care.

But soccer fan gets upset.

It's an inferiority complex.

It's not an inferiority complex, but a consistent group of people who never watch or play the game trying to say what is wrong with it. Nothing gets soccer fans in the US more excited than the WC because it's one of our few chances to turn people on to the game that we watch year around.

I think soccer fans, more than other fans, like to sing the praises of their sport. And we get few chances to do that. And when we do, it's normally met by a group of dumbshits who have no idea how the game is played and end up saying it's gay and blahlbahlbah.

milkman
07-11-2010, 12:13 AM
It's not an inferiority complex, but a consistent group of people who never watch or play the game trying to say what is wrong with it. Nothing gets soccer fans in the US more excited than the WC because it's one of our few chances to turn people on to the game that we watch year around.

I think soccer fans, more than other fans, like to sing the praises of their sport. And we get few chances to do that. And when we do, it's normally met by a group of dumbshits who have no idea how the game is played and end up saying it's gay and blahlbahlbah.

It still comes down to how soccer fan reacts.

Don't get your panties in a bunch and you won't get this kind of stupid thread, or many of the responses in other threads.

WoodDraw
07-11-2010, 12:18 AM
It still comes down to how soccer fan reacts.

Don't get your panties in a bunch and you won't get this kind of stupid thread, or many of the responses in other threads.

Sure, but what other sport do people react like this to? I've been a soccer fan all my life - I'm used to this.

milkman
07-11-2010, 12:23 AM
Sure, but what other sport do people react like this to? I've been a soccer fan all my life - I'm used to this.

That's my point.

Fans of most sports in this country could give a rat's as of you don't like the sport they are a fan of, and don't give a rat's ass what you have to say about it.

Soccer fan gets butt hurt.

The butt hurt generates more negative response to the sport because ut generates more butt hurt.

It's a circle jerk.

Average jerk, like me, finds the soccer fan butt hurt funny.

WoodDraw
07-11-2010, 12:32 AM
That's my point.

Fans of most sports in this country could give a rat's as of you don't like the sport they are a fan of, and don't give a rat's ass what you have to say about it.

Soccer fan gets butt hurt.

The butt hurt generates more negative response to the sport because ut generates more butt hurt.

It's a circle jerk.

Average jerk, like me, finds the soccer fan butt hurt funny.

We look at it from different perspectives. I keep wondering why someone cares so much about a sport I like...

milkman
07-11-2010, 12:34 AM
We look at it from different perspectives. I keep wondering why someone cares so much about a sport I like...

:banghead:

I give up.

WoodDraw
07-11-2010, 12:40 AM
:banghead:

I give up.

That actually cut off in the middle of my post. I get what you're saying. Give me a second (or a day) to respond...

Silock
07-11-2010, 05:27 AM
I never pretended that I didn't type what I clearly did type. I will type it again just so that there is no misunderstanding about me "owning" my words: soccer is the gheyest sport in the world. At no point in time have I backed away from that, nor do I intend to. That is my opinion and I am sticking by it. This passive aggressive accusation is nothing more than bullshit.

This is what is passive agressive (in chronological order):

"Gheyest sport in the world. That pretty much sums it up."

"most fans have an elitist attitude like the one you are displaying."

"I did not start the thread with attacking fans, I expressed my opinion on a sport and you came in and started talking down to people."

"There is a right way and a wrong way to disagree. You chose the wrong way."

"The more I say I dislike it the more people talk down to me."

"But soccer fans just cannot accept that there are people who do not like their game. So they get defensive, then they get aggressive and are snobbish about it the whole way through the process."

Do you not see how the last comment totally contradicts the tone of the first post? Maybe you didn't intend it that way, but it comes off as "attack", followed by 5 "I didn't start it!"s. The fact that just coming out and blasting a sport as "ghey" with no reasoning isn't the "right" way to disagree with something aside, I just don't understand what exactly you were trying to accomplish.

I know that you didn't start it in the WC thread, and I'm appreciative of that. However, this thread was started knowing full well that there are members of the community here at CP that like soccer. It's only natural that you would get some kind of response, especially after the way the first post was worded. If someone had changed the thread title to Baseball and posted exactly what you did, you would see the exact same reaction.

Again, it's not the sport. I don't care that you don't like soccer. We'd probably get along pretty well in real life despite that fact. You're probably a really nice guy. I'm just calling it as I see it in this thread.

Simply Red
07-11-2010, 07:15 AM
I love teh cock w/ my World Cup viewing!

Donger
07-11-2010, 09:11 AM
Ironically, this thread has ended in a tie.

Bwana
07-11-2010, 09:18 AM

http://img.hobowars.com/fn_photos/m_16366_1aiiii.jpg (http://www.hobowars.com/game/game.php?sr=478&cmd=network&do=view_large_photo&pID=146649&ID=16366)

Donger
07-11-2010, 09:19 AM
http://img.hobowars.com/fn_photos/m_16366_1aiiii.jpg (http://www.hobowars.com/game/game.php?sr=478&cmd=network&do=view_large_photo&pID=146649&ID=16366)

LMAO

milkman
07-11-2010, 09:21 AM

Wait, this thread is still going after this post.

Does that mean there's extra time?

When will it end?

Raiderhader
07-11-2010, 09:38 AM
This is what is passive agressive (in chronological order):

"Gheyest sport in the world. That pretty much sums it up."

"most fans have an elitist attitude like the one you are displaying."

"I did not start the thread with attacking fans, I expressed my opinion on a sport and you came in and started talking down to people."

"There is a right way and a wrong way to disagree. You chose the wrong way."

"The more I say I dislike it the more people talk down to me."

"But soccer fans just cannot accept that there are people who do not like their game. So they get defensive, then they get aggressive and are snobbish about it the whole way through the process."

Do you not see how the last comment totally contradicts the tone of the first post? Maybe you didn't intend it that way, but it comes off as "attack", followed by 5 "I didn't start it!"s. The fact that just coming out and blasting a sport as "ghey" with no reasoning isn't the "right" way to disagree with something aside, I just don't understand what exactly you were trying to accomplish.

I know that you didn't start it in the WC thread, and I'm appreciative of that. However, this thread was started knowing full well that there are members of the community here at CP that like soccer. It's only natural that you would get some kind of response, especially after the way the first post was worded. If someone had changed the thread title to Baseball and posted exactly what you did, you would see the exact same reaction.

Again, it's not the sport. I don't care that you don't like soccer. We'd probably get along pretty well in real life despite that fact. You're probably a really nice guy. I'm just calling it as I see it in this thread.

Only two points to all of this, in order that they are emboldened -

*I really was trying nothing more than to vent. The real reason I started the thread is I am a bar manager, I was working the bar Wednesday and had to not only turn the tv over to the game, but turn the sound up. So I am standing back there with this super obnoxious bee hive droning sound driving my up the frickin' wall. So I grabbed the Droid and posted my frustration. Better on the Planet than going off on a customer. That's it. Not trying to stir up a hornets nest. Yes I knew there would be some opposing views, but had no idea some where going to COMPLETELY flip out.

*"However, the WC thread was started knowing full well that there are members of the community here at CP that don't like soccer."

AHEM I assume the hypocrisy and double standards are self evident with out me having to point them out. THIS SHOULD be the end of this thread (but I'd be willing to bet it isn't).

Donger
07-11-2010, 09:41 AM
Wait, this thread is still going after this post.

Does that mean there's extra time?

When will it end?

Mod's discretion, of course.

Donger
07-11-2010, 09:44 AM
The real reason I started the thread is I am a bar manager, I was working the bar Wednesday and had to not only turn the tv over to the game, but turn the sound up.

You work at a ghey bar?

Raiderhader
07-11-2010, 09:49 AM
You work at a ghey bar?

I didn't think so until this whole WC thing got started.....

Baby Lee
07-11-2010, 09:50 AM
Only two points to all of this, in order that they are emboldened -

*I really was trying nothing more than to vent. The real reason I started the thread is I am a bar manager, I was working the bar Wednesday and had to not only turn the tv over to the game, but turn the sound up. So I am standing back there with this super obnoxious bee hive droning sound driving my up the frickin' wall. So I grabbed the Droid and posted my frustration. Better on the Planet than going off on a customer. That's it. Not trying to stir up a hornets nest. Yes I knew there would be some opposing views, but had no idea some where going to COMPLETELY flip out.

*"However, the WC thread was started knowing full well that there are members of the community here at CP that don't like soccer."

AHEM I assume the hypocrisy and double standards are self evident with out me having to point them out. THIS SHOULD be the end of this thread (but I'd be willing to bet it isn't).

I'm starting to think you don't know what passive-aggressive even means. ROFL ROFL ROFL - that's fine though. Now I'm starting to feel bad, like the guy who reprimands someone for yelling too loud, only to find out that person is deaf.

Raiderhader
07-11-2010, 09:50 AM

It's funny, after 3 years you think you know your customers and then BOOM!

Raiderhader
07-11-2010, 09:52 AM
I'm starting to think you don't know what passive-aggressive even means. ROFL ROFL ROFL - that's fine though. Now I'm starting to feel bad, like the guy who reprimands someone for yelling too loud, only to find out that person is deaf.

Bubbles.

Simply Red
07-11-2010, 10:03 AM
here in Brookhaven/Buckhead, Ga.

Wore my A. Iniesta No. 6 - Spain Away tee/jersey (vintage) - I had to bat off the pussy attached to my leg, just to make it through my doorway into my Apt.:D

RJ
07-11-2010, 10:14 AM
This thread reminds me a lot of the "Is Golf a Sport?" thread(s).

notorious
07-11-2010, 11:04 AM

ROFL

notorious
07-11-2010, 11:09 AM
Here is the difference:

If a person tells another person that the football sucks, football fan just shrugs his shoulders and walks away knowing opposing person is a dumbass.

If a person tells another that soccer sucks, soccer fan will proceed to throw a mini-fit and pout because the dumb American doesn't understand the supposed "Art and Nuances" of soccer.

SDChiefs
07-11-2010, 11:13 AM

Again with they "they don't understand" argument. Why do we have to not understand the sport to not like it? I understand it. Every little thing and strategy they do? No. Because I decided a long time ago that I did not like the sport enough to give it that much of my time. I understand Nascar and Golf but I hate them on a spectator level. Do I watch baseball on TV? Rarely. But I sure as hell will go to a Pads game any oppurtunity I get. Maybe soccer is like that as well but I will probably never know.

vailpass
07-11-2010, 11:15 AM
Here is the difference:

If a person tells another person that the football sucks, football fan just shrugs his shoulders and walks away knowing opposing person is a dumbass.

If a person tells another that soccer sucks, soccer fan will proceed to throw a mini-fit and pout because the dumb American doesn't know the supposed "Art and Nuances" of soccer.

Exactly. That and how very ghey soccer players look kicking their little ball all over the field, when they drop like whores at a roofie party, or when they prance like the grand marshall in the san francisco pride parade after kicking their ball in the net.

milkman
07-11-2010, 11:15 AM
Here is the difference:

If a person tells another that soccer sucks, soccer fan will proceed to throw a mini-fit and pout because the dumb American doesn't understand the supposed "Art and Nuances" of soccer.

Repost

notorious
07-11-2010, 11:17 AM
Repost

Sorry.

Just jumped into the water without testing it first. LMAO

Baby Lee
07-11-2010, 11:20 AM
Exactly. That and how very ghey soccer players look kicking their little ball all over the field, when they drop like whores at a roofie party, or when they prance like the grand marshall in the san francisco pride parade after kicking their ball in the net.

There's romancing, and then there's stalking. No means no. Not even just you 'doing the sucky sucky' on one of us. . . not even if you promise not to attempt eye contact. Take your shit to the WWI memorial.

vailpass
07-11-2010, 11:21 AM
There's romancing, and then there's stalking. No means no. Not even if you just want to 'do the sucky sucky' on one of us.

LMAO

Bearcat
07-11-2010, 01:53 PM
So, what's the history of offsides? Did it go from no offsides to the whole field, or did it used to be half the field or something? It seems like it would make more sense to only have offsides outside of an offensive zone, like hockey, whether it was 1/2 the field, 1/4, inside the half circle new the goalie, whatever.... it would open things up and maybe prevent some shootouts. ;)

teedubya
07-11-2010, 03:40 PM
I love this thread. It speaks truth.

0-0 for the fucking win!!!

Bearcat
07-11-2010, 03:50 PM
I love this thread. It speaks truth.

0-0 for the ****ing win!!!

I hope a kicking contest determines the best soccer team in the world!!

I've watched enough of the last couple of World Cups to see soccer has potential.... I think it would be a better game if there wasn't offsides on the entire field... anything to produce more chances, and of course less flopping, no shootout for single elimination games, replay.....

Just Passin' By
07-11-2010, 04:04 PM
The world cup is over, so now soccer can disappear for another 4 years.

Baby Lee
07-11-2010, 04:41 PM
I hope a kicking contest determines the best soccer team in the world!!

I've watched enough of the last couple of World Cups to see soccer has potential.... I think it would be a better game if there wasn't offsides on the entire field... anything to produce more chances, and of course less flopping, no shootout for single elimination games, replay.....

Offsides is only in play when the offsides player is in his offensive side of the field.

TrebMaxx
07-11-2010, 04:55 PM
:clap::clap::clap: I had told the wife that after I noticed the match was over.

niblet
07-11-2010, 05:02 PM

:clap::clap::clap: I had told the wife that after I noticed the match was over.

Why do you care? If you hate the sport, just ignore it.

The inferiority complex clearly belongs to the soccer haters, as evidenced by their incessant whining. Do you list soccer hating next to football on your list of hobbies?

notorious
07-11-2010, 05:05 PM

The inferiority complex clearly belongs to the soccer haters, as evidenced by their incessant whining. Do you list soccer hating next to football on your list of hobbies?

ROFL

Why did you respond?

Bwana
07-11-2010, 05:09 PM
LMAO

The sand is thick in this thread.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_K9ic6CASKIs/SlZVpOwn7iI/AAAAAAAAA3Q/YJQYnuXA9cY/s400/SandyVagina.png

RedNeckRaider
07-11-2010, 05:12 PM

LMAO Soccer blows. Why would anyone have an inferiorty complex about soocer LMAO

Just Passin' By
07-11-2010, 05:17 PM

1.) I don't hate it. I simply don't consider it a sport worth the time of adult Americans. It's a great game for kids and young teens.

2.) There's no inferiority complex. It's the soccer crowd who've spent decades trying to impose their love of soccer onto the rest of us, and insulting those who've determined that they don't like the game.

3.) ESPN has been battering us with nearly incessant coverage of the world cup, because they had the rights to it. This has interrupted normal viewing patterns, has impacted radio shows who've had to address it since it was being so actively shoved in our face, and forced those of us who couldn't have cared less about the World Cup to hear about it approximately once every 3.231 seconds. Some backlash from that should be expected.

4.) Historically, the world cup has been for soccer what the Olympics are for track and field events. It marks the height of the buildup for the sport involved, and is followed by that sport's quick return to the back burner. The Cup is over. Soccer can now go back on the shelf again.

notorious
07-11-2010, 05:23 PM
2.) There's no inferiority complex. It's the soccer crowd who've spent decades trying to impose their love of soccer onto the rest of us, and insulting those who've determined that they don't like the game.

3.) ESPN has been battering us with nearly incessant coverage of the world cup, because they had the rights to it. This has interrupted normal viewing patterns, has impacted radio shows who've had to address it since it was being so actively shoved in our face, and forced those of us who couldn't have cared less about the World Cup to hear about it approximately once every 3.231 seconds. Some backlash from that should be expected.

Yes.

How many times have ESPN radio guys made fun of soccer during the previous decade? All of the sudden they are huge fans.

WilliamTheIrish
07-11-2010, 05:27 PM
This has interrupted normal viewing patterns,

What were you normally watching at 0630 CDT and 1030 (CDT) on ESPN Monday through Friday? Those were the television times for the first 2 weeks of the World Cup. They added a 1330 game during the knockout round.

There were 8 games played on ABC starting at 1330 (CDT) on Saturday or Sunday. In June.

What viewing patterns were disturbed?

WilliamTheIrish
07-11-2010, 05:37 PM
ROFL

Why did you respond?

I love the SHTSPRYR mode of posting.

Donger
07-11-2010, 05:40 PM
Yes.

How many times have ESPN radio guys made fun of soccer during the previous decade? All of the sudden they are huge fans.

Did they get new guys with fewer Neanderthal tendencies and higher IQs?

Baby Lee
07-11-2010, 05:40 PM
Saying soccer sucks because there's not enough scoring is like saying sex sucks because there's not enough kids.

notorious
07-11-2010, 05:41 PM
What were you normally watching at 0630 CDT and 1030 (CDT) on ESPN Monday through Friday? Those were the television times for the first 2 weeks of the World Cup. They added a 1330 game during the knockout round.

There were 8 games played on ABC starting at 1330 (CDT) on Saturday or Sunday. In June.

Soccer is being pushed by guys that 2 months ago were constantly bashing it.

I applaud them for putting on a promotion clinic, but for the people that don't appreciate soccer it is pretty annoying.

notorious
07-11-2010, 05:42 PM
Did they get new guys with fewer Neanderthal tendencies and higher IQs?

No,same dumbasses.

Colin Cowherd was the worst. That guy turned instantly when ESPN got the contract. Only Jim Rome busted on soccer worse then Colin.

WilliamTheIrish
07-11-2010, 05:46 PM
Soccer is being pushed by guys that 2 months ago were constantly bashing it.

I applaud them for putting on a promotion clinic, but for the people that don't appreciate soccer it is pretty annoying.

Yea, I remember you posting virtually the same thing in a World Cup soccer thread that you cared nothing about.

What normal viewing habits were disturbed?

Baby Lee
07-11-2010, 05:48 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/100701

Bill Simmons actually makes a pretty compelling case why things might change, and it's not that we're different, it's that our appetite has been whetted, and now thanks to digital communication we're not set adrift on an ice floe soon as the WC is over.

When Donovan scored that Cup-saving goal against those spineless playing-for-a-tie-when-they-needed-to-win-by-two-goals Algerians, the moment resonated like no other goal in American soccer history. We didn't have anyone telling us how we should feel, what the implications were, what the moment meant. We knew what it meant. We wanted more games. We wanted our boys to keep playing. Someone scored. We celebrated. We jumped up and down. We ran around the room. We were alive for another game. For once in a fragmented sports world, we all happened to be rooting for the same thing.

When does that happen anymore? In 2010, you can follow any athlete, whether he plays 13 miles away or 3,000. You can watch any game you want. You can read any and every opinion that exists. You can find out information as soon as it happens, instead of 12-18 hours later in a newspaper. You can interact with other fans who love your team; you can butt heads with the people who hate them. You can tweet your thoughts on a big play as the players are still celebrating it. You can root for your real guys and your fantasy guys. You are fanatically autonomous.

We didn't have nearly as many choices when I was growing up. Either you rooted for local teams or you jumped on a successful bandwagon (such as the Steelers' or Cowboys') because they were always on national TV. The days of "I'm going to fall in love with Oklahoma City because I love watching Kevin Durant, even though I live in Maine" were still decades away. Eight-Year-Old Me rooted for the four Boston teams, Ali, Nicklaus, Connors and Leonard. I hated the Yankees, Raiders, Dolphins, Canadiens, Flyers, Sixers, Munson, Nettles, Stabler, Clarke and Kareem. I liked Earl Campbell and the Oilers' uniforms. I liked David Thompson and George Gervin. I loved all Topps cards. I loved Gerry Cheevers' mask. I loved Terry O'Reilly and Mike Haynes. I loved Freddie Lynn more than anything. And those were the only real sports opinions I had.

Fast-forward to 2010. What shapes Eight-Year-Old Me? How would EYOM settle on 10-12 things to love and hate? How would EYOM differentiate substance from nonsense? How could a moment stand out for EYOM when everything gets televised or covered? It's total sports overload. Too many choices, too much noise, too many extremes, too many niches, too many forums, too many opinions, too many people trying to stand out. You become numb after a while. The only thing that never gets old? Winning in the most dramatic way possible, then basking in the glow of that dramatic victory with as many people as possible.

Recently, Tiger Woods came closest to uniting everyone for a common rooting interest -- remember the 2008 U.S. Open? -- but his career imploded and he squandered that momentum indefinitely (if not forever). There is no "Wildly Popular American Athlete" or "Wildly Popular American Team." We even turned on Brett Favre. We only share the Olympics together, every two years. A rotating cast of athletes that fleetingly capture our affection, and after that, we never consider them again.

The U.S. soccer team could own that "everyone" domain for the simple reason that it's unattainable for anyone else. We always want our national soccer team to succeed; it would be un-American to feel differently. There's continuity through the years when certain players (such as Donovan, Howard and 2010 breakout star Michael Bradley, locks to make the 2014 World Cup) stick around for a prolonged time. There's always a finish line (the Cup every four years), with dozens of exhibitions, smaller tournaments and World Cup qualifying strewn in between. If you want, you can extend your attachment by following American stars on their club squads. Add everything up and it feels like following the Lakers, Red Sox, Niners or whomever.

(Note: I knew I was hooked on Saturday, after Bob Bradley started Ricardo Clark over Maurice Edu, when I was sending e-mails back and forth with friends much like I would have done had Doc Rivers started Tony Allen in Game 4 of the NBA Finals. What the hell is going on? Why are we doing this? Is Edu injured or something? This is terrible! WHY??????? You may have been sending those same e-mails to your buddies, too. That's the "everyone" domain.)

A cynic might say, "Come on, you could have said the same thing when we beat Colombia in 1994." No way. You need time with these things. Decades. You need kids like me to grow up with soccer in their lives. You need a few memories to stack up. You need it to happen organically. The theory that soccer would never catch on until we found our own Pelé or launched our own successful pro league was dead wrong. We only needed to be exposed to great soccer for a prolonged period of time. We're American. We only respond to the best. The cream of the crop. Nothing else is going to fly.

We don't care that much about Donovan playing for the L.A. Galaxy with guys who couldn't sniff the Premier League, just like English people wouldn't care about seeing Dwyane Wade playing with a bunch of D-Leaguers in London. We want to see Donovan tested against the best. In the months leading up to the 2010 World Cup, I watched Donovan play big games for our national team, for the Galaxy (in the playoffs), then overseas for a solid Everton team. I knew he was a world-class player. I knew he was legitimate. I wasn't stealing that opinion from a magazine or a talking head. The hours I logged with Donovan made me feel invested in him.

It's just easier to care about soccer now. Actually, it's something of a perfect storm -- the technology in place, the flaws of our own professional sports, the efficiency of soccer games, our longing for the pre-JumboTron days when people just cheered and that's what fans did, our best-of-the-best fetish, ESPN's unwavering commitment to pushing the sport, the urgency of every game -- that makes more sense as a whole than it did 10 years ago. After that crushing Ghana defeat, the U.S. players weren't devastated just because they blew a winnable game, but because they knew a growing number of Americans actually cared and it wasn't simply a bandwagon thing. (The TV ratings backed it up: an astonishing 19.4 million U.S. viewers.) It was like pining for the same girl for four years in college, finally hooking up with her one night, then getting kicked out of school the next day.

Dammit! I blew it! I had her! We could have had something!

Regardless, the U.S. completed Stage 1. Soccer is no longer taking off. It's here. Those celebratory YouTube videos that started popping up in the 24 hours after Donovan's goal -- all unfolding the same way, with a stationary shot of nervous fans watching the game in a bar, going quiet for a couple of seconds during the American counterattack, reacting to Dempsey's miss ("Nooooooooo!"), holding their breath for two beats ("Wait a second …"), exploding on Donovan's finish ("Hi-yahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!"), then chanting "USA! USA! USA!" afterward -- tapped into a collective American sports experience unlike anything since Lake Placid.

I would never compare Donovan's goal to Mike Eruzione's goal, or compare the significance of an early-round World Cup game to the best American sports night ever. But you can't tell me Donovan's goal was a fleeting moment or a lark. Each celebration clip that landed on YouTube could have been any American bar, any group of American friends, anywhere. Like John Cougar Mellencamp's annoying Chevy commercial sprung to life. Only it wasn't annoying. I thought it was glorious. Those clips choked me up. Those clips gave me goosebumps. Those clips made me think, "I forget this sometimes, but I'm glad I live in the United States of America."

Rasheed Wallace loved to say "ball don't lie." YouTube don't lie, either. We will always have the Algeria game. Always.

notorious
07-11-2010, 05:54 PM
Yea, I remember you posting virtually the same thing in a World Cup soccer thread that you cared nothing about.

What normal viewing habits were disturbed?

I didn't say anything about viewing habits, just that they have did a masterful job of promoting the World Cup.

I think you are recalling the posts where I listed factual TV ratings from U.S. viewers. I never slammed the sport, but I stated that the US interest will drop off a cliff when they get knocked off. Was I right? LMAO

Even I was interested in it until I tried to actually tried to watch the matches. It's not for me, but I don't want people spouting off bullshit like "you don't understand the nuances" or "you are slamming it because you have an inferiority complex". That is laughable.

I never slammed the sport, nor will I. It is the fan's that talk down to others that can take an anti-freeze enima.

Just Passin' By
07-11-2010, 06:32 PM
Saying soccer sucks because there's not enough scoring is like saying sex sucks because there's not enough kids.

Yes, it's just like saying it, only completely different and unrelated.

Just Passin' By
07-11-2010, 06:33 PM

You mean besides the ones that you listed, the "specials" covering the days events, etc...? Besides those?

RedNeckRaider
07-11-2010, 06:41 PM
Yes, it's just like saying it, only completely different and unrelated.

LMAO

Silock
07-11-2010, 10:54 PM

I somehow missed that post. My apologies. But the only person flipping out is on the first page, and he stopped.

So, are you calling me a hypocrite and telling me I have double standards?

Frazod
07-11-2010, 10:57 PM
We visited my inlaws today and my FIL was watching this shit! I mean, normally he only torments me with golf, but now he's watching soccer? FUCK. Actually made me WISH I was watching golf.

So yes, believe it or not, I actually watched part of that fucking 1-0 snorefest, at least until it put me to sleep. Ugh. I saw the goal scored after somebody woke me up.

Yay Spain. And thank God it's over.

Silock
07-11-2010, 11:28 PM
Yeah, today's game was not very fun to watch, even from a soccer fan's perspective.

SDChiefs
07-13-2010, 05:34 PM

Kids aren't the ultimate goal for most people. Bad comparison.

Old Dog
07-27-2010, 03:46 PM
For a single game, I could see it. See: Manchester United game.

How many were at the game?

Reaper16
07-27-2010, 03:58 PM
How many were at the game?

Donger
07-27-2010, 03:59 PM

That's one impressive gaggle of gheys.

SDChiefs
07-27-2010, 05:39 PM
So....arguably the greatest/most famous soccer team in the world could not out draw the 2-14 Chiefs at a once in a lifetime event as opposed to the Chiefs who you get 8 times a year to see. Doesn't bode well for soccer.

Old Dog
07-27-2010, 05:42 PM
8 times a year
The Chiefs had more than 52K at each preseason game as well, so 10x a year.....just sayin'

SDChiefs
07-27-2010, 05:45 PM
The Chiefs had more than 52K at each preseason game as well, so 10x a year.....just sayin'

Wow. Thats actually pretty shocking.

Old Dog
07-27-2010, 05:48 PM
Week 1 vs Houston - 64,781
Week 3 vs Seattle - 66,553

Reaper16
07-27-2010, 06:13 PM
So....arguably the greatest/most famous soccer team in the world could not out draw the 2-14 Chiefs at a once in a lifetime event as opposed to the Chiefs who you get 8 times a year to see. Doesn't bode well for soccer.
Take a look at the broadcasts from some of the home Chiefs games this year and tell me with a straight face that 52,000 were there.

WoodDraw
07-27-2010, 07:41 PM

Well, I like soccer and wouldn't pay five dollars to see United. Not all soccer fans went to the game.

And if the theory is that soccer can rival football, that's silly. Football is king here, and soccer won't even try. There's a reason MLS plays the schedule they do. Why they're mutually exclusive to people though, I don't know. I love both, obviously.

Soccer is growing exponentially though. It costs about $2 million a game to get United to come. How's much is the KU vs. MU guarantee? Obviously, Wizards didn't get that, but no one lost money here either.

Old Dog
07-27-2010, 07:57 PM
And if the theory is that soccer can rival football, that's silly.

Ummmmm, it ws one of the soccer guys on this site that said something along the lines of this game being able to outdraw the Chiefs.
Check posts #167 and #174
That's the very debate we had then.

MadMax
07-27-2010, 08:01 PM
We visited my inlaws today and my FIL was watching this shit! I mean, normally he only torments me with golf, but now he's watching soccer? ****. Actually made me WISH I was watching golf.

So yes, believe it or not, I actually watched part of that ****ing 1-0 snorefest, at least until it put me to sleep. Ugh. I saw the goal scored after somebody woke me up.

Yay Spain. And thank God it's over.

ROFL!!!!

WoodDraw
07-27-2010, 08:38 PM
Ummmmm, it ws one of the soccer guys on this site that said something along the lines of this game being able to outdraw the Chiefs.
Check posts #167 and #174
That's the very debate we had then.

If you get the right game, soccer could easily sell out Arrowhead. You'd have to see two Euro top clubs though. Or any WC game.

But that doesn't mean soccer will compete with football, and no one in your listed posts made that point. It's a stupid point for anyone to make, other than to say that soccer can draw huge fans under the right circumstances.

'Hamas' Jenkins
07-27-2010, 09:07 PM
Chuck Klosterman has an essay called George Will vs. Nick Hornsby that explains soccer hate from an intellectual soccer haters perspective. It's worth a read.

That aside, it seems to me like most of the people who hate soccer hate the people who like it than anything else.

Pablo
07-27-2010, 09:34 PM
Take a look at the broadcasts from some of the home Chiefs games this year and tell me with a straight face that 52,000 were there.I was at the blackout Chiefs v. Browns game and I was at the ManU/Wizards match.

I'd be willing to bet there were still more people at the Chiefs game, FWIW. But it could have been a draw. Not to take away from the soccer match, I had a fantastic time.

|Zach|
07-27-2010, 09:59 PM
Good times for Soccer fans in Kansas City.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/j2rivYikB6Y&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/j2rivYikB6Y&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

WoodDraw
07-27-2010, 10:01 PM
Chuck Klosterman has an essay called George Will vs. Nick Hornsby that explains soccer hate from an intellectual soccer haters perspective. It's worth a read.

That aside, it seems to me like most of the people who hate soccer hate the people who like it than anything else.

Bill Simmons wrote a good article on this:

SG: You just introduced a premise called "The Cult of Status Quo." Sometimes when people become die-hard fans of something that isn't mainstream -- a writer, a band, a player, a TV show, a sport or whatever -- they want to keep that thing the way it is over seeing that thing take off. Why? Because it's cooler to like something that isn't mainstream popular. Because mainstream popularity begets bandwagon fans and people who aren't as sophisticated about that product. Because it's more fun to love something before it takes off than after it takes off.

Hence, it's easier for original fans to dump on newer fans than to tolerate them and hope they advance the cause of whatever they like. I notice this every time I mention the UFC or poker -- there's this bizarre (and totally dismissive) backlash, as if I'm not allowed to watch those sports or even mention them because I'm not a real fan. Well, how do you become a real fan? By liking a sport without disliking the core people who like it. So it's a self-perpetuating cycle, and as weird as this sounds, the original fans like it that way. It maintains their ownership of the product. When the product outgrows them (specifically in the case of a creative entity), that's when the core fans start throwing around phrases like "jumped the shark" and "sold out," mostly because they're bitter it's not just them and the product any more.

With soccer, die-hard American fans love the World Cup itself, but they hate everything that comes with it; the World Cup drudges up the same storylines they've learned to despise ("Soccer can't take off unless X, Y or Z happens," "Our best athletes don't play soccer," "It can never be big here unless there's more scoring" and "They should get rid of offsides," to name four). I don't blame them for reacting negatively to that stuff, but you wouldn't call them welcoming, either. And they have taken a ton of crap over the years, which tends to harden the line between real fans and everyone else. I can tell you that in the past 15 months, when I wrote about soccer a few times and it became clear that it was more than a bandwagon thing, and that I was actually starting to understand what I was watching -- the feedback from die-hards has been tremendous (and much appreciated). They just need to be a little less condescending with neophytes.

For fun, I asked David Hirshey (soccer historian, author of "The ESPN World Cup Companion") and Michael Davies (TV producer, World Cup blogger) for their takes:

Hirshey: "The question of authenticity among fans is hardly soccer-centric. I started watching 'Mad Men' after the third episode had aired. I have a friend who became obsessed with the series once the first season DVD came out. Now he never misses an episode. Are we bandwagon jumpers? Sure, if you want to view it that way. Me, I just want everyone to love soccer the way I fell for it back in the late 1960s -- when you had to walk 10 miles (OK, blocks), in the snow, just to hear the score of a Man U-Arsenal game. Does being a fan for the past 40 plus years make me any more legitimate than someone who embraced the sport this summer because Landon Donovan scored a dramatic goal in the World Cup or Diego Forlan has great hair? Absolutely not. Are there still so-called 'die-hards' who want soccer in this country to remain a kind of secret Skull and Bones society where membership is passed down through generations? Sadly, yes. I say De Jong them in the chest and tell them to get over themselves."

Davies: "I completely agree that many die-hard soccer fans in the U.S. have learned to become just as annoying and condescending as die-hard soccer fans in England and all over the world. Globalization is a wonderful thing. But that doesn't seem to be the main premise of the Q from Zanesville. What BP is actually arguing is that soccer still isn't going anywhere in the U.S. And whatever Glenn Beck says, it's just tough to argue against the empirical data -- TV ratings, website traffic, bar tabs. They're all going up during and around soccer games. That seems to indicate that however annoying or casual the fans are, or however annoying they are to each other, they are still watching. Yes, the World Cup more than anything else. But U.S. interest in the English Premier League and Champions League and the ratings and website traffic surrounding those leagues is growing significantly, too. There are even people who watch Major League Soccer. And that may be the biggest miracle of all. And the biggest proof that soccer must be going somewhere here. It's like Daniel Kellison's --former executive producer of 'The Man Show' and 'Jimmy Kimmel Live'-- heterosexuality test: Any man can have sex with a model, but only the most heterosexual of men can bring himself to have sex with a truly unattractive woman. The fact that American soccer fans can sit through 90 minutes of MLS is proof of a love of soccer beyond anything the rest of the world can possibly fathom."

I agree with that in bold, but it's all worth reading.

Silock
07-27-2010, 10:04 PM
I'll say it again: tickets sold != attendance

BWillie
07-28-2010, 12:41 AM
It amazes me that so many people go to these MLS games around here. What'd they draw the other night 54K? I continue to scratch my head about how it gets good attendance. Nobody I know or work with in Kansas City cares about soccer. There is very little media exposure on the radio and on local television in general. When I'm tailgating at Chiefs games or at Royal's games most of the people I talk to hate soccer. I just don't know where these people are coming from. I know it's only my first hand personal experience, it just boggles my mind. It obviously must get attendance and popularity from the non-traditional sports fan somewhere.

Old Dog
07-28-2010, 08:12 AM
For a routine game, no, you wouldn't get Wizards fans outnumbering Chiefs fans for a routine game. But for a meaningful game, yes, the Wizards fans would outnumber the Chiefs fans for a routine game.

Do you have any idea how many tickets the Manchester United game has sold already?

3,500? CAB has a capacity of about 7500, and the Wizards regularly fill the stadium.

For a single game, I could see it. See: Manchester United game.

Still not as many as the lowest attended Chiefs game

Silock
07-28-2010, 08:20 AM
Yeah, I don't think so. Go back and look at the lowest attended Chiefs game and tell me with a straight face (to quote Reaper) that there were more Chiefs fans actually at the game. I don't buy it.

Either way, you're really going to quibble about 52,4XX vs 53,XXX? Hardly any difference at all. And if you'd said that the Wizards were going to beat United, I bet you'd have another 10k. I'd have been there. Plus, the next day, the Wizards sold 800 more season ticket packages, so I'd say that the whole event was a huge success, even if you don't.

Old Dog
07-28-2010, 08:27 AM
You said tickets sold = attendance. Does that only apply to soccer?

52,000 for a soccer game featuring arguably the most popular team in the world
53,315 for a week 15 matchup of 3-11 teams with a kickoff temp in the 30s

now do you still think that soccer can outdraw the chiefs here?

Silock
07-28-2010, 08:34 AM
Tickets sold does NOT equal attendance. Being that the soccer game was a special event, and there were CLEARLY 52,4XX people there, yeah, I'd say it's an exception. Were there clearly that many people at the Chiefs games? I don't think so, but I'm open to being proven wrong if they actually got that many butts into seats.

Yes, I still think that soccer can outdraw the Chiefs. You'd have to be blind to see the virtually equal attendance numbers and think that it couldn't.

Old Dog
07-28-2010, 08:40 AM

Tickets sold does NOT equal attendance.
Yes, I still think that soccer can outdraw the Chiefs.
You'd have to be blind to see the virtually equal attendance numbers and think that it couldn't.

Make up your mind. Maybe I previously gave you more credit than I should have.

LOL that the "special event" couldn't outdraw the worst Chiefs outing in 20+ years.

Silock
07-28-2010, 08:52 AM
Do you not know what the != sign means? It means "does not equal." My position hasn't changed.

Old Dog
07-28-2010, 09:26 AM
No, I didn't know that.
I still think you're wrong. I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

Silock
07-28-2010, 09:30 AM
Okay. For the record, I think that either way you cut it, it's pretty obvious that there are a LOT of soccer fans in KC. Certainly much more than most people anticipated. The fact that 52,424 were actually at the game is quite a statement.

Old Dog
07-28-2010, 09:33 AM
Okay. For the record, I think that either way you cut it, it's pretty obvious that there are a LOT of soccer fans in KC. Certainly much more than most people anticipated. The fact that 52,424 were actually at the game is quite a statement.

I never argued any of that. To be honest, I expected they would get >60K (still think they would have if it had been a Saturday evening game). There are obviously many fans in the KC area.

schneider221
07-28-2010, 09:40 AM
If by chance Kansas City were to host a USA v. Mexico World Cup Qualifier they could sell Arrowhead out and would have a chance to break the all time attendance record at Arrrowhead(if thats even possible after renovations).

Football fans shouldn't be threaten that there are a couple of events that could potentially outdraw the Chiefs at Arrowhead. These events are all pretty special occasions and soccer in KC will never consistently draw as good as numbers as the Chiefs.

dirk digler
07-28-2010, 09:47 AM
Yes, I still think that soccer can outdraw the Chiefs. You'd have to be blind to see the virtually equal attendance numbers and think that it couldn't.

Is this a joke because I am not getting it? Soccer will NEVER routinely outdraw the Chiefs that is why they are moving to a small stadium that holds less than 20,000 for soccer. Heck I don't think soccer could outdraw the Royals on a consistent basis.