PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports Soccer

Pages : [1] 2 3

Raiderhader
07-07-2010, 01:09 PM
Gheyest sport in the world. That pretty much sums it up.

CoMoChief
07-07-2010, 01:15 PM
I've never been able to sit thru even a half of a soccer game w/o turning the channel and watching something else like extreme paint drying.

Saulbadguy
07-07-2010, 01:18 PM
Disagree.

Men's figure skating crushes the competition in that regard.

Raiderhader
07-07-2010, 01:21 PM
Disagree.

At least they are TRYING to score points.

CoMoChief
07-07-2010, 01:21 PM
Disagree.

I dont even consider that a sport, because if you're a man, and decide that you want to figure skate....then that person's man card should be immediately and permanently revoked.

Frazod
07-07-2010, 01:24 PM
The thing that really annoys me is the fucking media shoving it down our throats. Definite liberal agenda action at work. Fuck soccer and fuck them.

kepp
07-07-2010, 01:25 PM
At least they are TRYING to score points.

Yeah, but they're trying to score those points with other men.

vailpass
07-07-2010, 01:26 PM
Disagree.

Blades of Steel!!

Saulbadguy
07-07-2010, 01:27 PM
I've never been able to sit thru even a half of a soccer game w/o turning the channel and watching something else like extreme paint drying.

That's a very strong endorsement for the game of Soccer.

DMAC
07-07-2010, 01:28 PM
That's a very strong endorsement for the game of Soccer.ROFL Yes it is.

Saulbadguy
07-07-2010, 01:29 PM
The thing that really annoys me is the fucking media shoving it down our throats. Definite liberal agenda action at work. Fuck soccer and fuck them.

Does that mean the media covering NASCAR is the conservative agenda at work?

Frazod
07-07-2010, 01:31 PM
Does that mean the media covering NASCAR is the conservative agenda at work?

No, I think that's more of a moron misdirection thing.

tymania
07-07-2010, 01:34 PM
whats your guys' beef with soccer? Its a great game.. its exciting.. i am guessing you just dont understand it.. so therefore you hate it?! Typical americans.....

Raiderhader
07-07-2010, 01:42 PM
http:www.americanthinker.com/2006/06/why_americans_dont_like_soccer.html

tymania
07-07-2010, 01:46 PM
http:www.americanthinker.com/2006/06/why_americans_dont_like_soccer.html

link is broke

Old Dog
07-07-2010, 01:48 PM
link is broke

so is soccer

Saulbadguy
07-07-2010, 01:50 PM
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2vJn5XxWg9U&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2vJn5XxWg9U&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Raiderhader
07-07-2010, 01:51 PM
Yeah, but they're trying to score those points with other men.

Uh, you can say the same about football....

tymania
07-07-2010, 02:21 PM
so is soccer

is it bud??? is it too complicated for you small minded folk? are the rules not clear enough for ya? please give me one legitimate reason to hate soccer... DO IT.. there arent any!

Deberg_1990
07-07-2010, 02:24 PM
Im surprised Rugby isnt more popular than soccer in America. Its like football without pads.

Old Dog
07-07-2010, 02:29 PM
Let's see....even many folks from the "World Cup" thread are trying to "fix" it, so yeah.

Complicated? 10 guys running around trying to kick a ball into the other guys goal. There are actually 11, but one has the desire to dress differently so he can use his hands (assuming he stays in his little cubicle).
Offsides is a fairly easy to understand rule ( in a nutshell if a player is nearer to his opponents’ goal line than both the ball and the second to the last defender he's offside)

If someone gets within three yards of you it's mandated that you act as though you've been shot by a sniper and roll around for four minutes regardless if there were any actual contact.

vailpass
07-07-2010, 02:29 PM
is it bud??? is it too complicated for you small minded folk? are the rules not clear enough for ya? please give me one legitimate reason to hate soccer... DO IT.. there arent any!

ROFL

Flop

Frazod
07-07-2010, 02:30 PM
Im surprised Rugby isnt more popular than soccer in America. Its like football without pads.

If it ever caught on, there would be pads and helmets. Remember, the safety equipment isn't for the players; it's for the owners.

But I do agree, it is an infinitely better game than soccer.

milkman
07-07-2010, 02:31 PM

I'll give you one good reason.

Soccer fan gets soooo buthurt any time says they don't like soccer.

I don't want to be that guy.

Life is too short to go around with an aching ass all day, every day.

Old Dog
07-07-2010, 02:32 PM
FWIW, I watch soccer, but it's not an exciting game. 90 minutes or more and 3 goals is a huge outpouring of offensse.

vailpass
07-07-2010, 02:33 PM
Where are the intertube jpeg masters to post pics of all the soccer flops out there?

Saulbadguy
07-07-2010, 02:34 PM
If it ever caught on, there would be pads and helmets. Remember, the safety equipment isn't for the players; it's for the owners.

But I do agree, it is an infinitely better game than soccer.

If it were to ever catch on immensely in America, there would need to be way more "media timeouts".

Saulbadguy
07-07-2010, 02:35 PM

Please.

There are legitimate reasons to hate any sport.

Raiderhader
07-07-2010, 02:36 PM

I'll try and fix the link when I get to a computer. That will help answer some of this. But until then: tying is gay, the "boring" game of baseball encourages more physical contact than soccer and most fans have an elitist attitude like the one you are displaying.

Frazod
If it were to ever catch on immensely in America, there would need to be way more "media timeouts".

No shit.

One of the things I like about watching college football is that you only get about half the commercial breaks you do with pro football, which is about 50% commercials at this point. :shake:

Deberg_1990
FWIW, I watch soccer, but it's not an exciting game. 90 minutes or more and 3 goals is a huge outpouring of offensse.

Ive got nothing against Soccer..i played it when i was a kid. But its one of those sports that more fun to play than watch. Just the nature of it is defensive because its hard to score and control a ball when you cant use all four limbs. BUt thats also what makes it frustrating to watch for alot of people.

Baby Lee
07-07-2010, 02:39 PM
I'm starting to think that soccerphobes have the same hangups it's hypothesized about homophobes. Bunch of neutered pups running around not knowing WHAT to to hump and mad as hell to be so confused.

These threads, along with the pop-ins in the WC thread are starting to strongly resemble to kid who has a crush on a girl, and responds by pulling her hair.

I, for one, am indifferent to your amorous advances.

vailpass
07-07-2010, 02:40 PM
Ive got nothing against Soccer..i played it when i was a kid. But its one of those sports that more fun to play than watch. Just the nature of it is defensive because its hard to score and control a ball when you cant use all four limbs. BUt thats also what makes it frustrating to watch for alot of people.

Soccer is for the rest of the world. It is the one thing they can say "oh look the US can't do this".
It would crush them if we ever fixed our national minds on it in which case we would dominate that sport like all the other sports we care about.

tooge
07-07-2010, 02:41 PM
I tried. I tried very hard. Without the pride of watching Americans out there for "our" country, I just couldn't stomach soccer after we lost. 1 or 2 goals in an hour and a half, the ball basically going back and forth with no real levels of progress to achieve as you go (like a first down, or bases, etc). I will admit that the footwork these guys display is absolutely unreal. I'm also sure that the fitness level of the players is incredible. However, so is that of a marathoner, and I'm not watching them either. Sorry, soccer is totally boring. It is only big because of regional and national rivalries in the rest of the world has grabbed a following. We dont hate Canada or Mexico enough to go to the game under the disguise of soccer fans simply to cheer on our country. It will be big here every 4 years, and only while the US is still in play.

Silock
07-07-2010, 02:41 PM

Funny, though, that the ones who are butthurt are the non-soccer guys that make threads about how much they hate soccer. Then, they get people to chime in so that they can feel validated in their hatred of a game.

Yet, soccer guys are the ones who are butthurt? I don't think so.

Baby Lee
07-07-2010, 02:42 PM
I'll give you one good reason.

I don't want to be that guy.

Life is too short to go around with an aching ass all day, every day.

No, you're the butthurt who wants everyone to know everything he doesn't like, which it turns out is everything that exists in heaven or earth.

Silock
07-07-2010, 02:44 PM
the "boring" game of baseball encourages more physical contact than soccer and most fans have an elitist attitude like the one you are displaying.

If you want to have a real discussion, you'd be better off not saying ridiculous things like that first comment.

I agree that *some* soccer fans are elitist, but then, so are many fans of other sports that believe they're somehow "better" because they hate soccer. I wouldn't want to imply that you are doing that. Not at all. You wouldn't do such a thing.

tymania
07-07-2010, 02:46 PM
I'll try and fix the link when I get to a computer. That will help answer some of this. But until then: tying is gay, the "boring" game of baseball encourages more physical contact than soccer and most fans have an elitist attitude like the one you are displaying.

My attitude is no worse than yours... you made a thread to display your hatred for soccer.. if you dont like it fine.. thats your choice.. soccer is a brilliant game.. full of skill and strategy. Yes scoring is not in abundance.. it really isnt in baseball either nor hockey.. and there is nothing wrong with tying.. and they dont tie in tourney matches.. can the game of soccer be boring? yes but so can football, baseball, basketball and every other sport out there. Soccer is very unique and i dont understand why people hate on it when they dont completely understand it, or even give it a shot.

Raiderhader
07-07-2010, 02:47 PM
I'm starting to think that soccerphobes have the same hangups it's hypothesized about homophobes. Bunch of neutered pups running around not knowing WHAT to to hump and mad as hell to be so confused.

These threads, along with the pop-ins in the WC thread are starting to strongly resemble to kid who has a crush on a girl, and responds by pulling her hair.

If I were posting this in the WC thread you'd be right in complaining. I started my own thread for those who share my opinion so as not raon on the parade of those who don't agree. You really have nothing to bitch about.

Iowanian
07-07-2010, 02:48 PM

Shut it, hector.

I can even watch Olympic Curling every 4 years for Christ's sake.....but I'd rather punch myself in the nuts than watch 10 minutes of soccer.

Anything that allows Ghana to Beat the United States, besides deaths due to dysentery or famine is flawed to the core.

I'd expect Angola to crush us at allowing flies to congregate on our eyeballs without blinking or blowing a puff of air...but not a real sport.

Baby Lee
07-07-2010, 02:49 PM
If I were posting this in the WC thread you'd be right in complaining. I started my own thread for those who share my opinion so as not raon on the parade of those who don't agree. You really have nothing to bitch about.

No, I will not MAKE OUT WITH YOU. You got Chlorophyll Man up there talking about God knows what and all Raiderhader can talk about is making out with me. I'm here to learn, people, not to make out with you! Go on with the chlorophyll!

I'm not complaining, I'm explaining, No means NO!!

tymania
07-07-2010, 02:50 PM

great analogies!

tymania
07-07-2010, 02:55 PM
Shut it, hector.

I can even watch Olympic Curling every 4 years for Christ's sake.....but I'd rather punch myself in the nuts than watch 10 minutes of soccer.

Anything that allows Ghana to Beat the United States, besides deaths due to dysentery or famine is flawed to the core.

I'd expect Angola to crush us at allowing flies to congregate on our eyeballs without blinking or blowing a puff of air...but not a real sport.

now that is kinda funny.. and Ghana Beating the US was a fluke.. they had the whole continent of Africa backing them.

tooge
07-07-2010, 02:55 PM
Better idea. How bout a thread, or at least an intelligent discussion about what might make soccer more appealing to Americans.
1. Allow more contact
2. Change the penalty system to one more like hockey. If a guy gets a yellow card, or some other minor infraction, he must leave the field for a specified amount of time and can't be replaced by another player. A soccer power play! That would give you some reason to tune in a bit more during the penalty time anyway.

Raiderhader
07-07-2010, 02:56 PM
My attitude is no worse than yours... you made a thread to display your hatred for soccer.. if you dont like it fine.. thats your choice.. soccer is a brilliant game.. full of skill and strategy. Yes scoring is not in abundance.. it really isnt in baseball either nor hockey.. and there is nothing wrong with tying.. and they dont tie in tourney matches.. can the game of soccer be boring? yes but so can football, baseball, basketball and every other sport out there. Soccer is very unique and i dont understand why people hate on it when they dont completely understand it, or even give it a shot.

Your attitude is worse because you are of the mindset that we who disagree just are not smart enough to get it. I did not start the thread with attacking fans, I expressed my opinion on a sport and you came in and started talking down to people.

Iowanian
07-07-2010, 02:56 PM
[/B]

now that is kinda funny.. and Ghana Beating the US was a fluke.. they had the whole country of Africa backing them.

I don't want to pick on the Counciltucky school system, but Africa is a continent.

Mildly funny? I think you've been blocking goal tries with your head and bowling balls.

tymania
07-07-2010, 02:58 PM
Better idea. How bout a thread, or at least an intelligent discussion about what might make soccer more appealing to Americans.
1. Allow more contact
2. Change the penalty system to one more like hockey. If a guy gets a yellow card, or some other minor infraction, he must leave the field for a specified amount of time and can't be replaced by another player. A soccer power play! That would give you some reason to tune in a bit more during the penalty time anyway.
i agree with the ideas you came up with.. but looking at it as a person from outside the USA.. Why should the sport change to please the Americans!? it shouldnt and thats the truth

Iowanian
07-07-2010, 02:58 PM
You shouldn't. Stay in your country and enjoy thocker.

Baby Lee
07-07-2010, 02:59 PM
I did not start the thread with attacking fans.

How do you define 'ghey?'

tymania
07-07-2010, 03:00 PM
You shouldn't. Stay in your country and enjoy thocker.

no wonder you are a 1 man wolf pack... :)

tymania
07-07-2010, 03:01 PM
Your attitude is worse because you are of the mindset that we who disagree just are not smart enough to get it. I did not start the thread with attacking fans, I expressed my opinion on a sport and you came in and started talking down to people.

attacking any sport is attacking the fans of that sport

Iowanian

Urinating off of an old bridge 2' away from your friend. [/not ghey]

Holding each other's pickle in conjunction with the above [ghey]

Iowanian

I'm a 1 man chupacabre pack.

Baby Lee
07-07-2010, 03:02 PM

All the sophistication of Iowa, with the brains of a Chiefs fan.

vailpass
07-07-2010, 03:02 PM
Soccer fan in all his righteous indignity while all around are laughing at him is a funny thing to behold.

vailpass
07-07-2010, 03:03 PM

So by your logic may we assume that since you are in here posting on a thread about hating soccer that you are a closet soccer-hater?

Baconeater
07-07-2010, 03:04 PM
now that is kinda funny.. and Ghana Beating the US was a fluke.. they had the whole continent of Africa backing them.
It was such a fluke that it's happened twice in a row.

Old Dog
scoring is not in abundance.. it really isnt in baseball either nor hockey

In the NHL, there are an average of >6 goals per game. Baseball runs scored per game are >7.

Either of those numbers woyuld be insanely huge in soccer.

Raiderhader

I'm sorry, did I say soccer fans were ghetto, or just the game itself?

Baby Lee
So by your logic may we assume that since you are in here posting on a thread about hating soccer that you are a closet soccer-hater?

That's not my logic
It's not any logical thinking person's logic.
Must be your logic, which tells us all we need to know.

RJ
07-07-2010, 03:06 PM
I am soccer ambivalent. I admire the athleticism and the fans' enthusiasm. I think my problem with it is it doesn't seem TV friendly to me. If I'm watching football or baseball or basketball I pretty much know when I can safely go take a leak or get a beer without missing anything important. But with soccer it always looks like nothing is going to happen and most of the time nothing does. And then you go to the bathroom and miss the only goal of the entire damn game.

ESPN radio has been broadcasting the world cup matches. I can't imagine how bored I would have to be to listen to soccer on the radio.

vailpass
07-07-2010, 03:07 PM
That's not my logic
It's not any logical thinking person's logic.
Must be your logic, which tells us all we need to know.

Did you not say that those who dropped into the soccer thread and talked shit about soccer were really closet soccer lovers?
If I misunderstood I apologize.

Frazod
07-07-2010, 03:08 PM

This is like all the FilmSnobs who poo-poo'd me because I hated the ending of No Country For Old Men. They said I "didn't get it."

I did get it. But that didn't stop it from sucking.

I suspect some of these people are probably soccer fans, too. :D

Reerun_KC
07-07-2010, 03:09 PM
Disagree.

Besides GoChiefs, I wouldnt be surprised if you didnt spend alot of your time watching.

tooge
07-07-2010, 03:09 PM
i agree with the ideas you came up with.. but looking at it as a person from outside the USA.. Why should the sport change to please the Americans!? it shouldnt and thats the truth

I agree. I'm just saying that soccer would have to do something like this to give it the following it enjoys elsewhere. If FIFA is fine with soccer being a third tier professional sport in the US, then so am I

Baby Lee
07-07-2010, 03:10 PM
Did you not say that those who dropped into the soccer thread and talked shit about soccer were really closet soccer lovers?
If I misunderstood I apologize.

That is a value judgment-free hypothesis based on evidence, not an opinion masking a wish to express disdain and disgust.

And it wasn't an hypothesis that the 'haters' necessarily secretly loved soccer, but that it appeared that they were confused about their attraction to something about soccer and soccer fandom.

Raiderhader
07-07-2010, 03:12 PM
attacking any sport is attacking the fans of that sport

Whatever makes you feel better.

Red card on raiderhader!

seclark
07-07-2010, 03:13 PM
I am soccer ambivalent. I admire the athleticism and the fans' enthusiasm. I think my problem with it is it doesn't seem TV friendly to me. If I'm watching football or baseball or basketball I pretty much know when I can safely go take a leak or get a beer without missing anything important. But with soccer it always looks like nothing is going to happen and most of the time nothing does. And then you go to the bathroom and miss the only goal of the entire damn game.

ESPN radio has been broadcasting the world cup matches. I can't imagine how bored I would have to be to listen to soccer on the radio.

after looking up the definition of "ambivalent", i tend to agree w/this.
sec

Frazod
That is a value judgment-free hypothesis based on evidence, not an opinion masking a wish to express disdain and disgust.

I love it when you puff up and go all thesaurus on us. LMAO

tymania
I agree. I'm just saying that soccer would have to do something like this to give it the following it enjoys elsewhere. If FIFA is fine with soccer being a third tier professional sport in the US, then so am I

it will always be behind american football among other sports in the USA.. but it all reality soccer is the #1 most popular sport in the world.. and Americans should show it more respect

seclark
07-07-2010, 03:15 PM
it will always be behind american football among other sports in the USA.. but it all reality soccer is the #1 most popular sport in the world.. and Americans should show it more respect

ROFL
ok...i'll try harder.
sec

Baby Lee
07-07-2010, 03:16 PM
I love it when you puff up and go all thesaurus on us. LMAO

Yeah, sorry about all the two syllable [that means an uninterrupted portion of sound] words, brainiac.

Raiderhader
07-07-2010, 03:19 PM
This is like all the FilmSnobs who poo-poo'd me because I hated the ending of No Country For Old Men. They said I "didn't get it."

I did get it. But that didn't stop it from sucking.

I suspect some of these people are probably soccer fans, too. :D

Wouldn't surprise me.

RJ

Now ty, I understand you're a soccer fan and that's fine. But I don't think that us Americans owe soccer any respect. Respect must be earned and soccer has not done that here. Although I did like that French guy that head butted his opponent in the last WC.

tooge

I respect that KC Masterpiece is the most popular BBQ sauce in the world. Most people that really know bbq however know it is not really very good

Old Dog
07-07-2010, 03:22 PM

Really? Respect?
You come in here stating essentially that since someone doesn't care for soccer they must not understand it and challenge someone to give you reasons to dislike it and now you want folks to "respect it".

I'm through playing "rep games" with you since you're frankly less worriesome than a pimple on my ass, but if you don't like the way Americans disrespect soccer, feel free move back to whatever country you came from.

Raiderhader
07-07-2010, 03:22 PM

Because I have the blessing of being an American, I don't have to do shit.

tymania
07-07-2010, 03:23 PM
I respect that KC Masterpiece is the most popular BBQ sauce in the world. Most people that really know bbq however know it is not really very good

ROFL thats a TURRIBLE comparison

tymania
07-07-2010, 03:25 PM
Because I have the blessing of being an American, I don't have to do shit.

didnt say you have to... just saying you should.. i dont like rugby but i respect it.. i dont like tennis but i respect it

tooge
07-07-2010, 03:26 PM
didnt say you have to... just saying you should.. i dont like rugby but i respect it.. i dont like tennis but i respect it

Do you respect camping?

tymania
07-07-2010, 03:26 PM
Really? Respect?
You come in here stating essentially that since someone doesn't care for soccer they must not understand it and challenge someone to give you reasons to dislike it and now you want folks to "respect it".

I'm through playing "rep games" with you since you're frankly less worriesome than a pimple on my ass, but if you don't like the way Americans disrespect soccer, feel free move back to whatever country you came from.

i did make that assumption because a high majority of people that dont like something.. dont understand it.. and i guarantee you that some people in this thread are like that.. not calling anyone specific out bc i dont know everyones knowledge of the game

tymania
07-07-2010, 03:27 PM
Do you respect camping?

i actually like camping.. so yea lol

tymania
07-07-2010, 03:33 PM
So im curious.. what are specific things you guys dont like about soccer? i know you mentioned some mostly the flopping..but what else?

tooge
07-07-2010, 03:33 PM
i actually like camping.. so yea lol

forget it....

tymania
07-07-2010, 03:34 PM
forget it....

did i miss some joke!?

Deberg_1990
07-07-2010, 03:34 PM
So im curious.. what are specific things you guys dont like about soccer?

The fans

Raiderhader
07-07-2010, 03:35 PM

The elitist attitude again, you think it's all that and a bag of chips so I should respect it. Sorry, but your opinion is as worthless to me as mine obviously is to you.

tymania
07-07-2010, 03:36 PM
The fans

really? i think thats one of the great things about soccer.. especially the chants and songs they sing for their teams.

Frazod
07-07-2010, 03:36 PM
Yeah, sorry about all the two syllable [that means an uninterrupted portion of sound] words, brainiac.

Remember, I work at a real law firm, Mighty Mouse.

tymania
07-07-2010, 03:37 PM
The elitist attitude again, you think it's all that and a bag of chips so I should respect it. Sorry, but your opinion is as worthless to me as mine obviously is to you.

its not thats its worthless.. just on this particular subject i disagree with you 100% which is fine.. not everyone agrees on everything

tooge
07-07-2010, 03:41 PM
So im curious.. what are specific things you guys dont like about soccer? i know you mentioned some mostly the flopping..but what else?

uh, not enough contact, flopping, way to little scoring. Because it is played with the feet, and because we humans are designed to use our hands for the precise directional movement of other objects, soccer is an inherantly inaccurate sport. Therefore, typical "plays" are not executed very well, or if they are, they are very short lived. As good as these guys are, they simply can't accurately pass while running all the way down the field without the use of hands for either throwing or stopping the ball. Therefore, to most of us here, it seems very wout of control and "willy nilly." I do respect soccer, I'm just not that into it.

Raiderhader
07-07-2010, 03:42 PM
its not thats its worthless.. just on this particular subject i disagree with you 100% which is fine.. not everyone agrees on everything

There is a right way and a wrong way to disagree. You chose the wrong way.

tymania
07-07-2010, 03:44 PM

maybe i did.. and for that i apologize

Baby Lee
07-07-2010, 03:45 PM

You see, the right way is to intone same sex affinity, use an alternate spelling for said affinity, and deem the matter decided.

Like, say, suggesting the apparent noun 'hader' is the gheyest descriptor ever, and proclaiming that pretty much sums it up.

Gonzo
07-07-2010, 03:46 PM

It's to be expected...

You're from Council Bluffs.

:D

Iowanian
07-07-2010, 03:47 PM
After I post something awesome, I hope Soccer fans yell GGGGGGGGGGGGGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLowanian and blow that obnoxious king sized kazoo until the neighbors shoot through the wall of your condos.

RJ
07-07-2010, 03:49 PM

Ty, you're not from France by any chance are you?

Pants
07-07-2010, 03:49 PM
After I post something awesome, I hope Soccer fans yell GGGGGGGGGGGGGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLowanian and blow that obnoxious king sized kazoo until the neighbors shoot through the wall of your condos.

Because that's the standard in soccer commentating. One fucking dude does it, gets famous and now it's "the soccer" thing.

Typical.

Baby Lee
07-07-2010, 03:50 PM
Because that's the standard in soccer commentating. One fucking dude does it, gets famous and now it's "the soccer" thing.

Typical.

Mex'cains and quarrs, angries up mah blood.

tymania
07-07-2010, 03:51 PM
Ty, you're not from France by any chance are you?

no no no.. born and raised here in CB

Iowanian
07-07-2010, 03:51 PM
Because that's the standard in soccer commentating. One ****ing dude does it, gets famous and now it's "the soccer" thing.

Typical.

http://www.classicamericankazoos.com/images/classic_american_kazoo_logo_400.jpg

RJ
07-07-2010, 03:55 PM
no no no.. born and raised here in CB

My mistake.

tymania
07-07-2010, 03:55 PM

i dont get the vuvuzelas(sp?) thing either.. it is annoying.. pretty sure its an African thing.

EDIT: Gonzo no im not being racist.. white people live in africa too and they are called africans

Gonzo
07-07-2010, 03:56 PM
http://www.soccersucks.net/soccer.jpg

tymania
07-07-2010, 03:56 PM
My mistake.

are you trying to imply something here? :spock:

Iowanian
07-07-2010, 03:59 PM
i dont get the vuvuzelas(sp?) thing either.. it is annoying.. pretty sure its an African thing.

THAT'S RACIST!

The truth is, I don't care about soccer. I'm ambivalent about it. A guy in my office watches it during the world cup and talks about it. I don't care if other people enjoy it...that's great, just don't act like I'm a dumbass for having better things to do than watch 20 guys in microfiber speedos chase a ball back and forth for 2hrs. It's just not my thing. I'm glad you enjoy it, but I'm ready for the WC to be over so the cooks at restaurants will get my food out quicker.

RJ
07-07-2010, 03:59 PM
are you trying to imply something here? :spock:

Well, I'm not trying hard.

One of your earlier posts made me think you were from another country.

tymania
07-07-2010, 04:01 PM
Well, I'm not trying hard.

One of your earlier posts made me think you were from another country.

got ya.

Baby Lee
07-07-2010, 04:04 PM

For me, it's the obverse of this that makes soccer interesting to watch. A score may not happen at any given moment, but it can happen at any moment as well. And the way you watch the game changes in that moment [increased tension if your team goes down a score or more, a settling calm if they go up]. And what goes into the clumsy 'you just don't understand it' meme, is that you're not sufficiently familiar with what's going on in the lead up to scores to appreciate the complexity and interest of what you are watching. And that's not a smart/stupid thing, it's an invested/uninvested thing.

SDChiefs
07-07-2010, 04:04 PM

Its a bunch of guys running around and kicking a ball back and forth to eachother. There may be a play or two that are exciting in the entire game (which is three times to long imo). To call it exciting is laughable. I would watch soccer the same way I watch golf. When I am trying to fall asleep.

Baby Lee
07-07-2010, 04:06 PM
THAT'S RACIST!

The truth is, I don't care about soccer. I'm ambivalent about it. A guy in my office watches it during the world cup and talks about it. I don't care if other people enjoy it...that's great, just don't act like I'm a dumbass for having better things to do than watch 20 guys in microfiber speedos chase a ball back and forth for 2hrs. It's just not my thing. I'm glad you enjoy it, but I'm ready for the WC to be over so the cooks at restaurants will get my food out quicker.

Could we maybe tally up all the pre-emptive soccer rules/soccer sucks attacks, compared to retaliatory defenses?

Might help us figure who's on the offensive here.

I mean, you get that what you all are doing is the equivalent of IJH going off on one of his unprovoked 'religion is for the clueless and deluded' rants, then skittering back to his 'I just wish you guys would quit shoving your religion down my throat' hidey-holes.

Frazod
07-07-2010, 04:09 PM
I saw this in the Twilight thread. Works here just as well. :D

Baby Lee
07-07-2010, 04:11 PM
I saw this in the Twilight thread. Works here just as well. :D

Fraz the manly flouncing around the Twilight Thread. The evidence mounts.

Frazod
07-07-2010, 04:16 PM
Fraz the manly flouncing around the Twilight Thread. The evidence mounts.

Oh shit - I'll bet you're a Twilight fan, too, aren't you? My double mockery must have you in tears. Sorry about that.

RJ
07-07-2010, 04:18 PM
For me, it's the obverse of this that makes soccer interesting to watch. A score may not happen at any given moment, but it can happen at any moment as well. And the way you watch the game changes in that moment [increased tension if your team goes down a score or more, a settling calm if they go up]. And what goes into the clumsy 'you just don't understand it' meme, is that you're not sufficiently familiar with what's going on in the lead up to scores to appreciate the complexity and interest of what you are watching. And that's not a smart/stupid thing, it's an invested/uninvested thing.

I did consider the idea that the aspect of the game I criticized might in fact be part of the allure to a fan.

If I paid for a ticket to a WC match, one thing I would never do is leave my seat during the game.

Raiderhader
07-07-2010, 04:29 PM
link is broke

http://www.americanthinker.com/2006/06/why_americans_dont_like_soccer.html

Let's try this again....

|Zach|
07-07-2010, 04:31 PM
This World Cup cycle has been a blast. I don't really feel the need to convert anyone to liking soccer there are millions of people right here who enjoy the sport and its numbers and influence are growing. This can also be seen when you see how hard the haters go out of their way.

It is great.

I was with 12k other people gathered just to watch a single game. Right in the middle of the country. Good shit!

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wgPkLBvFJQc&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wgPkLBvFJQc&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

TrebMaxx
07-07-2010, 04:33 PM
I posted this in the WC thread. I post it here too. Oh, I don't like soccer.

|Zach|
07-07-2010, 04:33 PM
I mean, you get that what you all are doing is the equivalent of IJH going off on one of his unprovoked 'religion is for the clueless and deluded' rants, then skittering back to his 'I just wish you guys would quit shoving your religion down my throat' hidey-holes.

Yes.

Raiderhader
07-07-2010, 04:35 PM
You see, the right way is to intone same sex affinity, use an alternate spelling for said affinity, and deem the matter decided.

Like, say, suggesting the apparent noun 'hader' is the gheyest descriptor ever, and proclaiming that pretty much sums it up.

Where did I "intone same sex affinity"? the word "gay' (and all altered spellings) has gone through more than one definition change in its time. Orginally meaning "happy" or "gleefull" it then transformed in to "he who likes to suck the penis" and now shares that definition with "stupid".

You have no idea the way I intended it because I did not specify. If you took it in a homosexual light that is is reflected upon you, not my post.

|Zach|
07-07-2010, 04:44 PM
You have no idea the way I intended it because I did not specify. If you took it in a homosexual light that is is reflected upon you, not my post.

This is just idiotic.

Raiderhader
07-07-2010, 04:46 PM
This is just idiotic.

I don't see how. It both accurate and the same type of venacular game that I have seen BL play with people I don't know how many times. I find it to be quite appropriate.

|Zach|
07-07-2010, 04:58 PM
When Kansas City is a host city for the US World Cup in a few years it will be fun to have the double dip amusement of that amazing event in our city and hearing the soccer haters moan...the rivers will run red with all the bleeding out that will happen based on some of what has gone on during this World Cup cycle. It is going to have a fantastic economic impact though. Everyone wins there.

http://www.tpbphoto.com/photos/718933212_nC3xc-M.png

WoodDraw
07-07-2010, 05:02 PM
When Kansas City is a host city for the US World Cup in a few years it will be fun to have the double dip amusement of that amazing event in our city and hearing the soccer haters moan...the rivers will run red with all the bleeding out that will happen based on some of what has gone on during this World Cup cycle. It is going to have a fantastic economic impact though. Everyone wins there.

http://www.tpbphoto.com/photos/718933212_nC3xc-M.png

Can't wait...

|Zach|
07-07-2010, 05:03 PM
Can't wait...

I am hearing KC is in pretty good running for a semi final match.

Old Dog
07-07-2010, 05:05 PM

Wouldn't shock me after the showing at P&L.

WoodDraw
07-07-2010, 05:06 PM

Our bid committee is all class. You never know with FIFA and what edicts they'll send down for the bid, but I've heard nothing but good whispers after KC's WC support this cycle.

The KC bid committee has taken us from long shots to on most favorite lists. An incredible job they've done.

Baby Lee
07-07-2010, 05:15 PM
Oh shit - I'll bet you're a Twilight fan, too, aren't you? My double mockery must have you in tears. Sorry about that.

Delighting in the imagined sorrow he's inflicted in others. The MadCrapforce is strong in this one.

And FTR I don't know a thing about Twilight, and your Socctardism causes me no sorrow at all.

vailpass
07-07-2010, 05:19 PM

And it wasn't an hypothesis that the 'haters' necessarily secretly loved soccer, but that it appeared that they were confused about their attraction to something about soccer and soccer fandom.

My apologies.

vailpass
07-07-2010, 05:20 PM

Isn't that cute?

Raiderhader
07-07-2010, 05:29 PM

Guess I missed this before I left work. Apology accepted.

milkman
07-07-2010, 05:55 PM
No, you're the butthurt who wants everyone to know everything he doesn't like, which it turns out is everything that exists in heaven or earth.

I'm not the one who notices what you post and remembers how you feel about things.

I post what I think.

Apparently it leaves an impression.

|Zach|
07-07-2010, 05:57 PM
I'm not the one who notices what you post and remembers how you feel about things.

I post what I think.

Apparently it leaves an impression.

People who hate everything stand out from normal people.

So yes...yes it does leave an impression. ROFLROFL

Silock
07-07-2010, 06:11 PM
This World Cup cycle has been a blast. I don't really feel the need to convert anyone to liking soccer there are millions of people right here who enjoy the sport and its numbers and influence are growing. This can also be seen when you see how hard the haters go out of their way.

It is great.

I was with 12k other people gathered just to watch a single game. Right in the middle of the country. Good shit!

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wgPkLBvFJQc&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wgPkLBvFJQc&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Hey, it's me and the back of my head!

WoodDraw
07-07-2010, 06:14 PM
I was on the railing :)

milkman
07-07-2010, 06:17 PM
People who hate everything stand out from normal people.

So yes...yes it does leave an impression. ROFLROFL

I knew you'd chime in, Lucy.

|Zach|
07-07-2010, 06:18 PM

Hot as hell that day. My god.

Silock
07-07-2010, 06:19 PM
Luckily, I didn't get sunburned too badly. The alcohol made it all better, though.

|Zach|
07-07-2010, 06:22 PM
Luckily, I didn't get sunburned too badly. The alcohol made it all better, though.

I just remember being wiped out that evening. I didn't do a lot of drinking because of the heat. Our little group had a decent spot though.

Frazod
07-07-2010, 06:36 PM
Delighting in the imagined sorrow he's inflicted in others. The MadCrapforce is strong in this one.

And FTR I don't know a thing about Twilight, and your Socctardism causes me no sorrow at all.

You should check it out. From everything I've heard about it, it'd be right your dainty little alley.

Bearcat
07-07-2010, 07:08 PM

I'm sure a lot of people are turned off by the lack of scoring, since people often compare it to hockey, but I'm a huge hockey fan and can't get into soccer... you can see 60+ shots on goal in a hockey game, and maybe 10 shots on goal in soccer. Some of the best hockey games I've seen ended 1-0 in OT, but the action is on a completely different level.

I guess it's easy to say "you just don't understand," but actually, the more I understand about soccer, the more I think of it as a silly game.

* Shootouts -- Ridiculous. It's the brute-force approach, where goalies basically have to guess which direction to dive before the ball is even kicked.

* Overtime -- Two periods with no sudden death (which makes having two periods kind of pointless if you're not going to at least stop the game if someone scores in the first period, but whatever). How can soccer not have sudden death? I'm sure it's pretty improbable that both teams would score in OT, but why take that chance? A shootout isn't the answer.

* Flopping -- Yeah, I never liked Tyler Hansbrough, either.

* No replay -- Goals are kind of important in soccer, right?

* Extra time -- There's one guy on the field who knows when the game will end, even though they could just stop the clock every once in a while... that's uh, mildly retarded.

Every sport has problems, there are probably good reasons for some of that stuff, etc... but, it's not just a lack of goals and an lack of appreciation for the nuances of the game.

Silock
07-07-2010, 07:57 PM
* Shootouts -- Ridiculous. It's the brute-force approach, where goalies basically have to guess which direction to dive before the ball is even kicked.

Not necessarily. Most of the time, yes. But it's still up to the PK taker to hit the shot. That's also why they give each team an equal chance to make the PK.

* Overtime -- Two periods with no sudden death (which makes having two periods kind of pointless if you're not going to at least stop the game if someone scores in the first period, but whatever). How can soccer not have sudden death? I'm sure it's pretty improbable that both teams would score in OT, but why take that chance? A shootout isn't the answer.

Probably for the same reason that sudden death in OT in the NFL is stupid and ridiculous.

* Flopping -- Yeah, I never liked Tyler Hansbrough, either.

Can't argue there. It's stupid and I hate it. It needs to be punished far more severely.

* No replay -- Goals are kind of important in soccer, right?

I don't necessarily think replay is the answer. I think adding more officials would really help.

* Extra time -- There's one guy on the field who knows when the game will end, even though they could just stop the clock every once in a while... that's uh, mildly retarded.

Except they hold up a big sign that tells everyone just how much extra time is left. Everyone knows how much extra time there is.

Baby Lee
07-08-2010, 07:12 AM
Where did I "intone same sex affinity"? the word "gay' (and all altered spellings) has gone through more than one definition change in its time. Orginally meaning "happy" or "gleefull" it then transformed in to "he who likes to suck the penis" and now shares that definition with "stupid".

Raiderhader. It would seem voicing my disdain for the sport of soccer was the equivilant of pissing in his Cheerios.

I haven't had a good cigar in a while, I'm due. Might have to pick a San Cristbol tomorrow when I get into town.

What a passive-aggressive little prick. Die in a Fire.

luv
07-08-2010, 07:36 AM

Women should love it. It's like all foreplay. Very little scoring.

tooge
07-08-2010, 08:10 AM

And that will happen every 4 years. Otherwise, very little soccer interest here. Go watch monday night football down there in September when the chiefs are on. It'll be the same.

Bwana
07-08-2010, 08:12 AM
Women should love it. It's like all foreplay. Very little scoring.

LMAO And there you have it.

Sofa King
07-08-2010, 08:45 AM
If someone gets within three yards of you it's mandated that you act as though you've been shot by a sniper and roll around for four minutes regardless if there were any actual contact.

LMAO

Old Dog
07-08-2010, 08:53 AM
referencing the above, I forgot to add that if the referee comes over and waves a card (might be a queen of clubs, I'm not sure on this) at the opposing player nearest you then you are immediately healed.

Raiderhader
07-08-2010, 10:08 AM

Hah! Ok. Can't stand your own games being played against you I see.

Frazod
07-08-2010, 10:42 AM

Don't you mean "Perish in a conflagration"? LMAO

boogblaster
07-08-2010, 10:45 AM
soccer is lame ... but soccer moms rule .....

Raiderhader
07-08-2010, 10:48 AM
Don't you mean "Perish in a conflagration"? LMAO

See what I mean about the fans being elitist? Good grief, just because I share the love of a sport they do they get all puffed up and even malicious.

blaise
07-08-2010, 10:49 AM
I don't hate soccer but I can never get fully invested in a sport where flopping and feigning injury seem to be, at the least, accepted if not celebrated. I can't imagine waiting four years to see your team have a chance at the World Cup only to lose a game where the opponent flops all over the field and rolls around as if dying in order to solicit yellow and red cards against opponents and penalty shots for themselves.
It's bad enough in the NBA, but there at least you play seven game series for titles.
I honestly just can't get beyond the flopping and fake injuries and I doubt I ever will. I'll enjoy the World Cup, but I could never be a passionate fan.

Raiderhader
07-08-2010, 10:53 AM
I don't hate soccer but I can never get fully invested in a sport where flopping and feigning injury seem to be, at the least, accepted if not celebrated. I can't imagine waiting four years to see your team have a chance at the World Cup only to lose a game where the opponent flops all over the field and rolls around as if dying in order to solicit yellow and red cards against opponents and penalty shots for themselves.
It's bad enough in the NBA, but there at least you play seven game series for titles.
I honestly just can't get beyond the flopping and fake injuries and I doubt I ever will. I'll enjoy the World Cup, but I could never be a passionate fan.

Ed "Oscar" McCaffrey played the wrong sport.

blaise
07-08-2010, 10:56 AM
Ed "Oscar" McCaffrey played the wrong sport.

Vlade Divac and Kark Malone should have been on the pitch, too. Karl Malone was one of the strongest men in the NBA but somehow he could be sent flying by 6' 1" point guards who weighed 195.

Baby Lee
07-08-2010, 11:39 AM

Who celebrates flopping? Actually, it's a cardable offense, just hard to catch by a ref.
MoF, there was a card handed out in the group phase for flopping.

Donger
07-08-2010, 11:43 AM
Let me guess...

It's gay because:

1) They don't score enough.

2) They don't hit each other enough.

3) Ties suck.

Have I nailed the pertinent complaints?

Pants
07-08-2010, 11:45 AM
Let me guess...

It's gay because:

1) They don't score enough.

2) They don't hit each other enough.

3) Ties suck.

Have I nailed the pertinent complaints?

LMAO

blaise
07-08-2010, 12:01 PM
Who celebrates flopping? Actually, it's a cardable offense, just hard to catch by a ref.
MoF, there was a card handed out in the group phase for flopping.

I know it's a cardable offfense, but it seems to me that some of the players relish in their ability to draw penalties for flopping. And I've heard quite a few soccer analysts over the the last few weeks address it as, "Well it's just part of the game, some teams are do it more than others." As an observer, my opinion is that some countries and players make a concerted effort to gain advantages by flopping.
Look, I'm trying to be fair. I'm not a soccer basher, but if you look at these World Cup games with any degree of reason you have to admit that the flopping and faking of injury is a problem. Guys roll around as if shot, a stretcher comes out, and then 15 seconds later they're perfectly fine. One card handed out for flopping compared to all the flops I've seen doesn't seem like much. I've watched at least a dozen of the games here on my computer on ESPN3 and Univision, it's not like I haven't tried to give it a chance, but the flopping, to me, is a really big obstacle to overcome.

Donger
07-08-2010, 12:11 PM
I know it's a cardable offfense, but it seems to me that some of the players relish in their ability to draw penalties for flopping. And I've heard quite a few soccer analysts over the the last few weeks address it as, "Well it's just part of the game, some teams are do it more than others." As an observer, my opinion is that some countries and players make a concerted effort to gain advantages by flopping.
Look, I'm trying to be fair. I'm not a soccer basher, but if you look at these World Cup games with any degree of reason you have to admit that the flopping and faking of injury is a problem. Guys roll around as if shot, a stretcher comes out, and then 15 seconds later they're perfectly fine. One card handed out for flopping compared to all the flops I've seen doesn't seem like much. I've watched at least a dozen of the games here on my computer on ESPN3 and Univision, it's not like I haven't tried to give it a chance, but the flopping, to me, is a really big obstacle to overcome.

Diving is one of the most annoying traits of soccer, no doubt about it.

Baby Lee
07-08-2010, 12:59 PM

A few things;

First off, players 'using it to seek advantage' is far different from anyone celebrating it. Seeking an advantage, fair or unfair, is integral to sports. Don't know that flopping is worse than steroids or stickum. If only Herm Edwards had something witty to say about why you play the game.

Second, and this goes to falling, not flopping, but there's a lightness on your feet that you develop a sense for that protects you from injury by having a plant foot struck, but also makes you more susceptible to falling from slight touches. Basically you trade off falling over easily to avoid serious bone/ligament injury.

That said, I'm someone who's been knocked down innumerable times on the pitch and never flopped. I've complained, but only after getting back to my feet. Now, I've never been seriously hurt, so I don't have that in the back of my mind, but as someone who's had many hard fouls not called, I'm as anti-flopping as they come. I support cracking down, but you have to have solid evidence from the referee's eyes. I don't support video review unless it's just for egregious cases AFTER the match. But even then you're injecting subjectivity [is it obviousness, the amount of mugging, the stakes of the situation, the history of the player, why did that guy get away with it and I didn't, seriously it was just a quick bout of cramping, etc., etc.].

Silock
07-08-2010, 01:52 PM
And that will happen every 4 years. Otherwise, very little soccer interest here. Go watch monday night football down there in September when the chiefs are on. It'll be the same.

You're confusing having a major event televised with interest, which isn't the same thing at all.

There's a lot of interest here, but all we have to watch at a reasonable hour is the Wizards, who suck.

Plenty of people get up early on Saturday and Sunday mornings to watch the EPL and La Liga.

tooge
07-08-2010, 02:01 PM
You're confusing having a major event televised with interest, which isn't the same thing at all.

There's a lot of interest here, but all we have to watch at a reasonable hour is the Wizards, who suck.

Plenty of people get up early on Saturday and Sunday mornings to watch the EPL and La Liga.

No I'm not. If the wizards were in first place, and they had it on Friday night at the P&L on the bigscreen, you still wouldn't get half the fan fare you would get for a routine chiefs or royals game aired at the same time.

Silock
07-08-2010, 02:03 PM
Yes, you would.

tooge
07-08-2010, 02:07 PM
the wizards were good and nobody watched them. I've been to a few wizards games over the years and there is what, 3500 there on a good night? I'm not a soccer fan (went with free tix to the Wizards), but I'm not a basher either. I just couldn't disagree more that there would be even close to the fanfare for a good wizards team as there would for a good chiefs or royals team. In fact, I think the truth has been bourn out over and over on that one.

tooge
07-08-2010, 02:10 PM
Actually, my bad. I checked. Average attendance is around 10K. Not bad, but Those are weekend games, and that is dwarfed by the royals and chiefs in the worst attended games they've ever had.

Silock
07-08-2010, 02:11 PM
For a routine game, no, you wouldn't get Wizards fans outnumbering Chiefs fans for a routine game. But for a meaningful game, yes, the Wizards fans would outnumber the Chiefs fans for a routine game.

Do you have any idea how many tickets the Manchester United game has sold already?

3,500? CAB has a capacity of about 7500, and the Wizards regularly fill the stadium.

Old Dog
07-08-2010, 02:13 PM
CAB has a capacity of just over 10K (10385 to be precise) for Wizards games

Silock
07-08-2010, 02:13 PM
Actually, my bad. I checked. Average attendance is around 10K. Not bad, but Those are weekend games, and that is dwarfed by the royals and chiefs in the worst attended games they've ever had.

And you don't think that playing in a tiny stadium has anything to do with that?

Sure, they didn't sell out Arrowhead, but things are changing as far as attendance goes. I'm not arguing that there are more Wizards fans than Chiefs/Royals. I'm just saying that there are more than you think, and there are WAY more soccer fans here that aren't Wizards fans.

Old Dog
07-08-2010, 02:16 PM
The best ever average attendance for the Wizards was 14,819 (in 2004 when they last reached the MLS finals)
The worst ever attendance for the Royals was 16,334 in 2002 (That is the only year under 17K since '75)

No way in the world the Wizards would ever out draw the Chiefs. That argument is just plain silly.

Stewie
07-08-2010, 02:17 PM
My complaint about soccer is the field is way too big for the speed of the game. Too much standing around and arbitrary goals due to offenses/defenses being too spread out.

Pants
07-08-2010, 02:20 PM
My complaint about soccer is the field is way too big for the speed of the game. Too much standing around and arbitrary goals due to offenses/defenses being too spread out.

The field only looks big on TV. When you're down on the pitch playing, you always find yourself with very little space to operate in.

Old Dog
07-08-2010, 02:21 PM
The Average for this year is:

Wizards 9,965.57 through 7 events
Royals 20,755 through 39 events

Silock
07-08-2010, 02:22 PM
The best ever average attendance for the Wizards was 14,819 (in 2004 when they last reached the MLS finals)
The worst ever attendance for the Royals was 16,334 in 2002 (That is the only year under 17K since '75)

No way in the world the Wizards would ever out draw the Chiefs. That argument is just plain silly.

For a single game, I could see it. See: Manchester United game.

Silock
07-08-2010, 02:25 PM
BTW, they have sold well over 40,000 tickets for that Manchester United game, and those numbers are about a week old.

Old Dog
07-08-2010, 02:27 PM

OK, see ANY Chiefs game. They averaged over 67,000 last year and sucked.
C'mon Silock, I KNOW you're smarter than this.

Silock
07-08-2010, 02:51 PM
1) Tickets aren't completely sold out for the Man U game.

2) Average simply means that there were instances when there were less people attending. Do you not remember the blackout scares? It happened OFTEN.

Old Dog
07-08-2010, 03:08 PM
1) and they likely won't be

2) Even the Cleveland game between teams with 3-11 records with temps in the upper 30s drew over 53K, NO other game was under 68,000

tooge
07-08-2010, 03:13 PM

If you are gonna use the game angains Man U, then you have to compare apples to apples. That would be like the Royals playing the Cards, or the Chiefs playing on Monday night. Those are all the biggest events of each teams seasons. And, you are talking about the most followed soccer club in the world coming here to the midwest. That happens how often? I might even attend that.

Silock
07-08-2010, 03:15 PM
1) and they likely won't be

2) Even the Cleveland game between teams with 3-11 records with temps in the upper 30s drew over 53K, NO other game was under 68,000

So, why were there blackout scares? Tickets sold != people actually at the game

Silock
07-08-2010, 03:16 PM
If you are gonna use the game angains Man U, then you have to compare apples to apples. That would be like the Royals playing the Cards, or the Chiefs playing on Monday night. Those are all the biggest events of each teams seasons. And, you are talking about the most followed soccer club in the world coming here to the midwest. That happens how often? I might even attend that.

That just goes to my point. You were saying that there is very little interest in soccer here. That's not true. There's just not a huge interest in the Wizards, which is different. I've been saying that all along. Read back up if you don't remember.

vailpass
07-08-2010, 03:19 PM
Soccer's biggest event is in the final four and sports news today is completely dominated by Lebron talk.

Decision by a player in the 3rd most popular sport in US overshadows soccer's once every four years big show. That is where soccer is in the US.

Silock
07-08-2010, 03:22 PM
There's no game today. LeBron has been huge news for like 2 days. Not a big deal. Besides, that's just ESPN, the same network who brought you 24/7 coverage of Favre for 52 straight weeks.

tooge
07-08-2010, 03:23 PM
That just goes to my point. You were saying that there is very little interest in soccer here. That's not true. There's just not a huge interest in the Wizards, which is different. I've been saying that all along. Read back up if you don't remember.

Ok, then I'll give you this: There is a decent interest here in major soccer events that come along once in a great while. Otherwise, it is very pedestrian.

Old Dog
07-08-2010, 03:24 PM
I don't think even YOU believe what you're saying.

Man U being one of if not the most popular soccer clubs in the world will possibly not outdraw a pair of 3-11 NFL teams when the weather was in the upper 30s. And it isn't as if they will be playing here time and again. They are only playing four games in North America.

Old Dog
07-08-2010, 03:28 PM
Additionally, I profess that MANY of the folks at P&L were there only because it was the US playing. I highly doubt there will be anywhere near that number on Sunday for the final.

vailpass
07-08-2010, 03:39 PM
There's no game today. LeBron has been huge news for like 2 days. Not a big deal. Besides, that's just ESPN, the same network who brought you 24/7 coverage of Favre for 52 straight weeks.

Not just ESPN. Dan Patrick show, Rome show (guest host), Cowherd show. local 620 talk here, etc. etc.
This is soccer's superbowl and 90-something percent of America couldn't tell you which four teams remain (including me).

Silock
07-08-2010, 03:39 PM
Additionally, I profess that MANY of the folks at P&L were there only because it was the US playing. I highly doubt there will be anywhere near that number on Sunday for the final.

Of course.

Silock
07-08-2010, 03:41 PM
I don't think even YOU believe what you're saying.

Man U being one of if not the most popular soccer clubs in the world will possibly not outdraw a pair of 3-11 NFL teams when the weather was in the upper 30s. And it isn't as if they will be playing here time and again. They are only playing four games in North America.

I love soccer, but I refuse to go to the Man U game because I hate Man U. Like I said... we'll see.

I'm not saying soccer is UBER popular. I'm simply saying it's far more popular than people in this thread are giving it credit.

Silock
07-08-2010, 03:42 PM
Not just ESPN. Dan Patrick show, Rome show (guest host), Cowherd show. local 620 talk here, etc. etc.
This is soccer's superbowl and 90-something percent of America couldn't tell you which four teams remain (including me).

90 percent of people couldn't tell you the following: Who won the World Series last year, or who won the men's NCAA basketball championship last year, 2, 3, or 4 years ago.

sedated
07-08-2010, 03:44 PM
soccer isn't popular in america. who cares?

americans love NASCAR, twilight, and Lady Gaga, which proves how dumb most americans are.

Old Dog
07-08-2010, 03:48 PM
and I'm not saying no one cares, one would have to be ignorant to believe otherwise.

My argument isn't that football, baseball, or whatever else is better. I'm in no way, shape, or form "anti-soccer". If more kids would play it that would be great, maybe it would get some of the fat little shits off of the couch.

Old Dog
07-08-2010, 03:51 PM
90 percent of people couldn't tell you the following: Who won the World Series last year, or who won the men's NCAA basketball championship last year, 2, 3, or 4 years ago.

but the majority (maybe not 90%) would be able to tell you who were in the Final Four, who were the remaining four going into the conference championships, who were in the League Championship series, just before the National Championship game, Super Bowl, or World Series.

vailpass
07-08-2010, 03:55 PM

okay.

Frankie
07-08-2010, 04:08 PM
Soccer. Gheyest sport in the world. That pretty much sums it up.

Oh yeah?

http://www.chrisgenoa.com/archives/Gay%20Bears.jpg

Donger
07-08-2010, 04:11 PM
What about basketball? I don't see how you can be a fan of basketball, since it's pretty ghey, too. Or is basketball not ghey?

Pants
07-08-2010, 04:12 PM
What about basketball? I don't see how you can be a fan of basketball, since it's pretty ghey, too. Or is basketball not ghey?

They score a lot of points. Thus, it is not, in fact, ghey.

Donger
07-08-2010, 04:13 PM

Oh right.

MOhillbilly
07-08-2010, 04:15 PM
Terrace culture spawned the greatest youth cult in history.

Donger
07-08-2010, 04:15 PM
But, the consensus is that the fact that there not much intentional physical contact in soccer is the biggest gheyness factor, yes?

If so, is it also agreed that football is more ghey than, say, rugby?

Frankie
07-08-2010, 04:26 PM

A lot of scoring among men is not gay?

MOhillbilly
07-08-2010, 04:27 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBVQsHVP3Z0

Pants
07-08-2010, 04:32 PM
A lot of scoring among men is not gay?

Heh.

Donger
07-08-2010, 04:34 PM
I think this is ghey, but I'm not sure:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2OKwRsnWO84&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2OKwRsnWO84&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

vailpass
07-08-2010, 05:02 PM
Soccer guy gets his feelings hurt easily. This is your big week, why worry about people that don't like your game?

Pants
07-08-2010, 05:28 PM
Soccer guy gets his feelings hurt easily.

Huh?

vailpass
07-08-2010, 05:37 PM
Huh?

Commenting on how soccer guy goes into full defensive mode whenever anyone says soccer is ghey, boring, slow, euro, etc. etc.
Look at the people going to great lengths to explain why soccer is not lame, why everyone should like soccer. One clown even said Americans should respect soccer.

Why so defensive? Isn't this week soccer's version of the Final Four?

If anyone said anything negative about football I'd simply laugh; sure wouldn't feel the need to defend it.

Silock
07-08-2010, 05:39 PM
but the majority (maybe not 90%) would be able to tell you who were in the Final Four, who were the remaining four going into the conference championships, who were in the League Championship series, just before the National Championship game, Super Bowl, or World Series.

I don't think they could.

Silock
07-08-2010, 05:41 PM
Commenting on how soccer guy goes into full defensive mode whenever anyone says soccer is ghey, boring, slow, euro, etc. etc.
Look at the people going to great lengths to explain why soccer is not lame, why everyone should like soccer. One clown even said Americans should respect soccer.

If anyone said anything negative about football I'd simply laugh; sure wouldn't feel the need to defend it.

What? I'm not telling anyone they have to like soccer, or even that they should. It won't affect the worldwide popularity, or the fact that it IS becoming more and more popular here in the states. I'm only saying it's more popular than many in this thread think it is. That's it.

Donger
07-08-2010, 05:47 PM

I'm not quite sure why anyone feels the need to attack it. If you don't like it, don't watch it.

Personally, I'd rather watch golf than soccer.

Bwana
07-08-2010, 06:08 PM
I'm not quite sure why anyone feels the need to attack it. If you don't like it, don't watch it.

I would rather sit in a chair and punch myself the nuts repeatedly, rather than watching soccer. Hey, but to each their own.

vailpass
07-08-2010, 06:35 PM

Because American soccer guy is ripe for the teasing.

Frankie
07-08-2010, 06:43 PM
I would rather sit in a chair and punch myself the nuts repeatedly, rather than watching soccer. Hey, but to each their own.

Gee, dude, I have that sentiment toward Baseball, which I'm sure you find a lot more "exciting" than Soccer.

Donger
07-08-2010, 06:44 PM

LMAO

I can understand that. I hadn't watched a soccer match in years until the WC, and I've only watched a few. I'll probably watch the final, though.

vailpass
07-08-2010, 06:47 PM
Gee, dude, I have that sentiment toward Baseball, which I'm sure you find a lot more "exciting" than Soccer.

How about public stonings? Do you find those exciting?

Bwana
07-08-2010, 06:48 PM

I don't have a long lost love for baseball either and don't even watch the World Series. Like I said, to each their own.

Bearcat
07-08-2010, 07:08 PM
Not necessarily. Most of the time, yes. But it's still up to the PK taker to hit the shot. That's also why they give each team an equal chance to make the PK.

Probably for the same reason that sudden death in OT in the NFL is stupid and ridiculous.

Can't argue there. It's stupid and I hate it. It needs to be punished far more severely.

I don't necessarily think replay is the answer. I think adding more officials would really help.

Except they hold up a big sign that tells everyone just how much extra time is left. Everyone knows how much extra time there is.

Well, that's sort of missing the point about the shootout... even if the distance to the goal is okay, it's still a stupid gimmick and a ridiculous way to end a single elimination game.

Sudden death in the NFL is stupid and ridiculous because possession is based on a coin flip.... and I don't know if soccer stops the clock before starting OT or they just continue, but if they did, how many times do you really think the team with the first possession just goes down the field and scores? I hope I'm missing something, or else I'd say you don't need to give yourself a colonoscopy just so you can defend soccer.

As far as replay, I know there's the issue of what can be replayed, but shots on goal is a good start... I can't believe they wouldn't have a rule in place on that no-goal off the crossbar... you know, when those two teams played...

Ha, I actually mentioned the time remaining thing because someone in the World Cup thread said "only one person on the field knows the time remaining".... I've noticed the "+3" or whatever, but in one game it seemed like no one knew when the end of the game was, and the guy on tv didn't seem to know. :shrug:

Pants
07-08-2010, 07:21 PM
Because American soccer guy is ripe for the teasing.

We already know you're a troll who contributes nothing to anything except for retarded statements custom tailored to get a rise. You're worthless. :)

sedated
07-08-2010, 07:22 PM
Ha, I actually mentioned the time remaining thing because someone in the World Cup thread said "only one person on the field knows the time remaining".... I've noticed the "+3" or whatever, but in one game it seemed like no one knew when the end of the game was, and the guy on tv didn't seem to know. :shrug:

I'm new to the sport, but it seems like the ref (or official or whatever he is called) simply doesn't stop the clock when there has been wasted time in extra time.

One match went to nearly 94 minutes, when only +3 was declared, because there was an injury (flop) in extra time.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Silock
07-08-2010, 10:10 PM
Well, that's sort of missing the point about the shootout... even if the distance to the goal is okay, it's still a stupid gimmick and a ridiculous way to end a single elimination game.

Why? Each team gets the same amount of tries.

Sudden death in the NFL is stupid and ridiculous because possession is based on a coin flip.... and I don't know if soccer stops the clock before starting OT or they just continue, but if they did, how many times do you really think the team with the first possession just goes down the field and scores? I hope I'm missing something, or else I'd say you don't need to give yourself a colonoscopy just so you can defend soccer.

Because a team usually has a substitution left, so they can make tactical and formation changes in the case of a goal. You could put on an extra attacker and take a defender off. They also used to have sudden-death and it didn't go over so well.

Players can ask the ref how much time is left. And as has been said, if there is time wasting in extra time, the ref adds that in, too.

WoodDraw
07-08-2010, 10:26 PM
People overestimate the time thing with soccer. If you've ever played, in stoppage time players constantly annoy the ref asking how much time is left. The players always know what's going on. There's a bit of an unwritten rule that you never stop play in the midst of a goal scoring chance, assuming it's within the realms of added time. But it's not like you just hang around waiting for the ref to decide the game is over.

blaise
07-09-2010, 12:06 AM

It's like kicking over an ant pile and seeing the ants come running out.

Reaper16
07-09-2010, 12:19 AM
soccer isn't popular in america. who cares?

americans love NASCAR, twilight, and Lady Gaga, which proves how dumb most americans are.
More people both love soccer and love Lady GaGa than love only one of those.

Pablo
07-09-2010, 12:27 AM
I'm by no means a "soccer fan".

I watched some of the World Cup. Sorta got into it momentarily, then realized I was just buying into the hype and legitimately could not give one shit about the sport outside of blatant jingoism.

That being said, I am going to the ManU/Wizards game. My friend's coming back on leave for a couple weeks and is on a soccer kick of sorts, so I'm gonna give it another chance in person. We'll see how it all shakes out.

Bearcat
07-09-2010, 12:35 AM
Why? Each team gets the same amount of tries.

Because a team usually has a substitution left, so they can make tactical and formation changes in the case of a goal. You could put on an extra attacker and take a defender off. They also used to have sudden-death and it didn't go over so well.

Players can ask the ref how much time is left. And as has been said, if there is time wasting in extra time, the ref adds that in, too.

You don't think ending an NFL playoff game with a field goal kicking contest would be ridiculous (actually, it would be more like an extra point kicking contest)? Or if Kansas and Memphis had a free throw shooting contest to decide the National Championship? Play the game.

Couldn't both teams make those changes, assuming they both had a substitution left? What happened with sudden death (besides the substitution thing)? I'd think unless there were a lot of really quick goals, it would be fine, but I don't really know soccer so I'm curious...

But it's not like you just hang around waiting for the ref to decide the game is over.

True, I don't think it would be a huge game changing thing, I just find it silly.

Silock
07-09-2010, 12:49 AM
You don't think ending an NFL playoff game with a field goal kicking contest would be ridiculous (actually, it would be more like an extra point kicking contest)?

That's not really an equivalent comparison, considering that there's only one way to score in soccer, and multiple ways to score in football.

Play the game.

At that point, they've played the game for 2 hours, and basically 75 minutes of that continuously. Should they REALLY play more? This isn't cricket. Matches don't go on for days. At least with PKs, the game is decided fairly, and based on skill, rather than luck.

Couldn't both teams make those changes, assuming they both had a substitution left? What happened with sudden death (besides the substitution thing)? I'd think unless there were a lot of really quick goals, it would be fine, but I don't really know soccer so I'm curious...

Yes, the other team could make a defensive substitution to try and neutralize the offensive substitution. That's usually what happens, unless they're out of subs.

As for why sudden death didn't work, it's because teams just went into a shell. They feared attacking, thus exposing themselves to a counter-attack, and just played for penalties.

Bearcat
07-09-2010, 02:17 AM
That's not really an equivalent comparison, considering that there's only one way to score in soccer, and multiple ways to score in football.

At that point, they've played the game for 2 hours, and basically 75 minutes of that continuously. Should they REALLY play more? This isn't cricket. Matches don't go on for days. At least with PKs, the game is decided fairly, and based on skill, rather than luck.

Yes, the other team could make a defensive substitution to try and neutralize the offensive substitution. That's usually what happens, unless they're out of subs.

As for why sudden death didn't work, it's because teams just went into a shell. They feared attacking, thus exposing themselves to a counter-attack, and just played for penalties.

It's based on skill, like shooting free throws, and that's no way to end a single elimination game. The hockey shootout has grown on me, because it is entertaining, but I'd never ever want it in the playoffs... it's a fun way to break a tie, but no way to win a playoff game.

Point taken on sitting back and not attacking.... was it setup to go on forever, or was it sudden death with a shootout after 2 periods (or whatever)? I think that would make a difference.

Raiderhader
07-09-2010, 02:22 AM
How about public stonings? Do you find those exciting?

Depends on who is being stoned.....

Soccer just doesn't do anything for me. Frankly, while I have never liked it, the fact that some think I'm crazy or "just don't get the sport" takes me from not liking it to hating it. The more I say I dislike it the more people talk down to me. Kind of amusing in a very annoying sort of way.

People can express their interest and/or love for the game, but I cannot express my disdain for it? That only pushes people like me further away from it. The more I am mocked the more I am going to hate it and make that fact known.

As previously stated, if I had started spamming the WC thread I could easily understand the bashing (and rightfully so). People would ask if I hate it so much why even open the thread. However, I started my own thread instead of cluttering up the lovefest thread for the game. I am as entitled to my opinion as any of the rest of you. So long as I'm not trying to force it down your throats, WTF do you care?

Silock
07-09-2010, 02:26 AM
It's based on skill, like shooting free throws, and that's no way to end a single elimination game. The hockey shootout has grown on me, because it is entertaining, but I'd never ever want it in the playoffs... it's a fun way to break a tie, but no way to win a playoff game.

Well, when you boil it right down like that, all sports are based on skill. However, unlike shooting free throws, a goalkeeper can actually stop a penalty kick in addition to the possibility of the shooter missing it altogether.

Point taken on sitting back and not attacking.... was it setup to go on forever, or was it sudden death with a shootout after 2 periods (or whatever)? I think that would make a difference.

It was set up like the extra time is currently, with 2 15 minute halves, and then penalties. But, if someone scored, it never reached PKs. Golden goal.

Silock
07-09-2010, 02:27 AM
The more I say I dislike it the more people talk down to me.

Perhaps if you hadn't talked down first, it might have gone differently.

|Zach|
07-09-2010, 03:38 AM
Frankly, while I have never liked it, the fact that some think I'm crazy

Who?

The more I say I dislike it the more people talk down to me.

Yes, because your first post did nothing to bring on that kind of rhetoric. If this isn't some passive aggressive hilarity...

Baby Lee
07-09-2010, 08:17 AM
Heaven forbid I should be the guy who informs the new parents that their infant looks like a retard.
FYP

Saulbadguy
07-09-2010, 08:32 AM
Quick question:

Has anyone here met a man who hated sports in general? Not just "didn't care for", but really really disliked?

blaise
07-09-2010, 08:37 AM
Quick question:

Has anyone here met a man who hated sports in general? Not just "didn't care for", but really really disliked?

No, I have met the "didn't care for guy" a few times. It's weird if you're stuck at a party or dinner with him. Like, "so....."

Donger
07-09-2010, 08:39 AM
Quick question:

Yes, but he was homosexual.

Bearcat
07-09-2010, 08:46 AM
Well, when you boil it right down like that, all sports are based on skill. However, unlike shooting free throws, a goalkeeper can actually stop a penalty kick in addition to the possibility of the shooter missing it altogether.

It was set up like the extra time is currently, with 2 15 minute halves, and then penalties. But, if someone scored, it never reached PKs. Golden goal.

From what I've seen, he can stop it if he guesses which way to dive... it's a brute force approach, and I just think you should win the game by playing the game. Soccer fans love to talk up how people don't understand the nuances and strategy, etc; and all that gets thrown out the window.

That's what I thought, and I think it could make a difference if there were no PKs at the end... I mean, if you know you could be there a while, I'd at least like to think that you would be more willing to attack. IMO, the shootout is the problem, not the golden goal, because the players are just hoping to get to PKs.

Saulbadguy
07-09-2010, 08:48 AM
No, I have met the "didn't care for guy" a few times. It's weird if you're stuck at a party or dinner with him. Like, "so....."

Yeah, that's bad. Then all you have to talk about is the weather.

Bearcat
07-09-2010, 09:04 AM
Quick question:

Yeah, but they generally hate everything they don't understand... it's kind of exhausting.

Saulbadguy
07-09-2010, 09:14 AM
Yeah, but they generally hate everything they don't understand... it's kind of exhausting.

:clap:

sedated
07-09-2010, 09:18 AM
Yes, but he was homosexual.

this.

or a hipster working in a used record store wearing thick black-rimmed glasses and a pixies t-shirt.

Raiderhader
07-09-2010, 11:37 AM
Who?

Have you really not been paying attention to thread? Some cannot understand why I just don't like it, and it is driving them bonkers. Hell, I get it at work too.

Yes, because your first post did nothing to bring on that kind of rhetoric. If this isn't some passive aggressive hilarity...

My first post is exactly how I feel about it. I'm not going to be PC or diplomatic about it. If the poor little soccer fans are rubbed the wrong way, that is their problem, they ought to toughen up. But what do you expect from fans of a sport that discourage even the slightest amount of rough play.....

And nothing passive aggressive here, this thread is for soccer haters. If you are a soccer lover and participate in this thread and get all out of whack over it, that is all on you. Because you know, you could simply ignore it and stick to posting in a thread of like minded people. You have your circle jerk, I'll have mine.

Raiderhader
07-09-2010, 11:39 AM
FYP

Soooooo your saying soccer is retarded?

Donger
07-09-2010, 11:42 AM
But what do you expect from fans of a sport that discourage even the slightest amount of rough play.....

So, you feel the same way about basketball?

Raiderhader
07-09-2010, 12:02 PM

Why would I? In general, physical contact is accepted.

RJ
07-09-2010, 12:03 PM

Plenty of "rough play" in basketball.

Donger
07-09-2010, 12:06 PM
Why would I? In general, physical contact is accepted.

Sure, about as much as soccer.

Raiderhader
07-09-2010, 12:09 PM
Sure, about as much as soccer.

Let Beckam start throwing some 'bows trying to protect possesion of the ball with out getting penalized and then try and make this point to me.

Donger
07-09-2010, 12:11 PM
Let Beckam start throwing some 'bows trying to protect possesion of the ball with out getting penalized and then try and make this point to me.

I was under the impression that illegal use of the elbow was a personal foul in basketball. Is that not correct?

Raiderhader
07-09-2010, 12:19 PM
I was under the impression that illegal use of the elbow was a personal foul in basketball. Is that not correct?

Not saying that it cannot be called a foul, but there are times when it isn't. Picture with me if you will Shaq going up for a rebound along with two players from the opposing team and coming down with the ball. Invision him hunching over and sucking that ball into his midsection while twisting his midsection side to side with his elbows out in an attempt to ward of the opposing team and protect possesion.

I've never seen that called, maybe I'm just missing something though.

Donger
07-09-2010, 12:21 PM
Not saying that it cannot be called a foul, but there are times when it isn't. Picture with me if you will Shaq going up for a rebound along with two players from the opposing team and coming down with the ball. Invision him hunching over and sucking that ball into his midsection while twisting his midsection side to side with his elbows out in an attempt to ward of the opposing team and protect possesion.

I've never seen that called, maybe I'm just missing something though.

And there are plenty of times in soccer when it isn't called, either.