PDA

View Full Version : Economics Congressional Study: Unemployment for young Americans at all time high

Taco John
07-07-2010, 03:14 PM
http://static.businessinsider.com/image/4c349bab7f8b9ab17f130100/chart-of-the-day-unemployment-by-age-1974-2010.gif

Young Americans Learn That Trying To Find Work Is Pointless
Vincent Fernando, CFA and Kamelia Angelova | Jul. 7, 2010, 11:48 AM

While the U.S. has experienced some job creation during the rebound so far, unemployment for America's youngest job seekers continues to get worse, not even slightly better.

That's because the new jobs of today aren't open to them, according to a study called "Unemployment Among Young Workers" by the U.S. Congress Joint Economic Committee:

"Employers added over half a million jobs in the last four months, yet the unemployment rate for young workers reached a record 19.6 percent in April 2010, the highest level for this age group since the Bureau of Labor Statistics began tracking unemployment in 1947... The youngest workers (16 to 17 years) experience the highest rates of unemployment. The unemployment rate for 16 to 17 year olds was 29 percent in April."

The chart below shows how the unemployment rate for America's youngest (in red) continues to get worse, even while other age groups' unemployment rates have plateaued or slightly declined (in blue or green). The rebound so far, however small, hasn't even started for the young.

One reason explained in the report is that older workers are now taking jobs previously reserved for the youngest due to a dearth of opportunities. Another is that industries which employed young workers were hit disproportionately hard during the downturn, such as hospitality and retail. Education is also now more important than ever in securing an available job, with higher education massively reducing one's probability of being unemployed.

Yet education doesn't explain everything. For example, one disturbing figure from the report shows that young black college graduates have double the unemployment rate (15.8%) of other young college graduates. For many of America's budding job seekers such as these, hitting the pavement and trying to work has proven itself completely futile. Take it as a lesson from the New Normal.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/chart-of-the-day-unemployment-by-age-young-americans-2010-7?utm_source=Triggermail&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=CS_COTD_070710#ixzz0t28GQEE6

Taco John
07-07-2010, 03:15 PM
That's a good reason to encourage your young family members and friends to go to school.

ClevelandBronco
07-07-2010, 03:16 PM
It's easier if they speak Spanish. I wish I was kidding.

RJ
07-07-2010, 03:27 PM
That's a good reason to encourage your young family members and friends to go to school.

Unfortunately, not everyone is cut out for college and/or white collar jobs.

jiveturkey
07-07-2010, 03:33 PM
I hire for a couple of large corporations and I can tell you that the young people coming out of school are at an all time high level of suck.

RJ
07-07-2010, 03:45 PM

I hire for a couple of large corporations and I can tell you that the young people coming out of school are at an all time high level of suck.

There may be a connection there.

Radar Chief
07-07-2010, 03:54 PM

Yea well, the world needs ditch diggers too.

RJ
07-07-2010, 03:59 PM

Yep, we still need ditch diggers and dish washers.

Heck, we'll need even more of them if we ever kick the illegals out.

Brock
07-07-2010, 04:22 PM

I assure you, somebody said the same thing about you.

Brock
07-07-2010, 04:22 PM

That's what trade schools are for.

HonestChieffan
07-07-2010, 04:27 PM
Oh well, maybe some will have to start out at a job level below VP, get some experience, prove they have some skills and all that stuff. Being like really great at wii is not a marketable skill.

Brock
07-07-2010, 04:29 PM
Oh well, maybe some will have to start out at a job level below VP, get some experience, prove they have some skills and all that stuff. Being like really great at wii is not a marketable skill.

Yeah, the job market sucks because college graduates expect to be VPs.

Saul Good
07-07-2010, 04:31 PM

Then they can be $100,000 in non-bankruptable debt while looking for work that isn't there.

Saul Good
07-07-2010, 04:31 PM

were for

RJ
07-07-2010, 04:32 PM

I wish they offered more of that in the high schools. Only one vocational school here in Albuquerque. New Mexico only turns out about 1/3 of graduates "proficient" in reading and even less in math. Maybe they'd do better teaching plumbing and carpentry. I'm sure vocational schools are costly to operate but it might save money in the long run if more kids graduated with some practical knowledge.

Brock
07-07-2010, 04:32 PM
were for

No, still are.

Saul Good
07-07-2010, 04:44 PM
No, still are.

They are all but gone. The country needs them to make a comeback, but I don't see that happening any time soon.

jiveturkey
07-07-2010, 04:46 PM
I assure you, somebody said the same thing about you.
Thanks, except I've never interviewed for a job and not gotten it.

I've been doing this for 11 years. It's a new trend for sure. There are a lot of really terrible candidates coming out of school.

Brock
07-07-2010, 04:46 PM
They are all but gone. The country needs them to make a comeback, but I don't see that happening any time soon.

No, they're not all but gone. Probably every community college in the state of Kansas has a welding department, an autobody dept, an auto mech program, etc.

Brock
07-07-2010, 04:47 PM
Thanks, except I've never interviewed for a job and not gotten it.

I've been doing this for 11 years. It's a new trend for sure. There are a lot of really terrible candidates coming out of school.

A lot of your peers interviewed for jobs and didn't get them. Nothing has changed, it's the same old tune, "these kids today are worthless".

HonestChieffan
07-07-2010, 04:56 PM
I wish they offered more of that in the high schools. Only one vocational school here in Albuquerque. New Mexico only turns out about 1/3 of graduates "proficient" in reading and even less in math. Maybe they'd do better teaching plumbing and carpentry. I'm sure vocational schools are costly to operate but it might save money in the long run if more kids graduated with some practical knowledge.

If they have poor math skills they wont make it as a carpenter. But on the other hand education may fail on stuff like math, science, English yet the children have a better self concept than when they were forced to learn, take tests to prove comprehension and be forced onto a competitive environment.

Garcia Bronco
07-07-2010, 05:04 PM
Somebody better hire them quick. While they still know everything. :)

RJ
07-07-2010, 05:05 PM
If they have poor math skills they wont make it as a carpenter. But on the other hand education may fail on stuff like math, science, English yet the children have a better self concept than when they were forced to learn, take tests to prove comprehension and be forced onto a competitive environment.

I work with flooring installers who would fail most high school math tests yet are still lightning fast with numbers. There's math and then there's math.

HonestChieffan
07-07-2010, 05:15 PM
I work with flooring installers who would fail most high school math tests yet are still lightning fast with numbers. There's math and then there's math.

Lots different to figure out rafters, valleys, hips. 90 degree angles on floors are not so tough in that light.

Brock
07-07-2010, 05:17 PM
Funny how tons of illiterate mexicans can make it as carpenters.

RJ
07-07-2010, 05:21 PM
Lots different to figure out rafters, valleys, hips. 90 degree angles on floors are not so tough in that light.

They both require math and a good flooring installer can make a damn good living....6 figures for some guys I've known. My real point though is that some of the HS kids here in New Mexico who can barely pass basic math might do just fine with the math involved in a trade. Different people learn different ways. One of the best auto mechanics I ever knew was borderline retarded. Sort of a Rain Man with a wrench. Not our Rain Man, the other one.

ChiefsCountry
07-07-2010, 05:22 PM

No its more important for kids to learn about math and science than learning about different careers and jobs they could actually use. Heck if it wasn't for me taking a marketing class in high school from a vocational school, I wouldn't be in my career today.

Radar Chief
07-07-2010, 05:28 PM
LMAO Carpenters wish they could deal with right angles and non-fraction math all day.

HonestChieffan
07-07-2010, 05:29 PM
Funny how tons of illiterate mexicans can make it as carpenters.

Laborers, not carpenters. There is a huge difference.

HonestChieffan
07-07-2010, 05:30 PM
They both require math and a good flooring installer can make a damn good living....6 figures for some guys I've known. My real point though is that some of the HS kids here in New Mexico who can barely pass basic math might do just fine with the math involved in a trade. Different people learn different ways. One of the best auto mechanics I ever knew was borderline retarded. Sort of a Rain Man with a wrench. Not our Rain Man, the other one.

I agree.

Brock
07-07-2010, 05:35 PM
Laborers, not carpenters. There is a huge difference.

No, carpenters. Haven't been on many job sites lately, have you?

|Zach|
07-07-2010, 05:38 PM

They are not. Especially in the state of Missouri.

|Zach|
07-07-2010, 05:43 PM
I think there are a lot of college educated kids that don't help their education work for them. They think the piece of paper is an automatic pass. You get out of it what you put in no matter how they choose to measure your time there.

People need to take their skills and talents into their own hands and find ways to make themselves marketable... indispensable.

Brock
07-07-2010, 05:44 PM
I think there are a lot of college educated kids that don't help their education work for them. They think the piece of paper is an automatic pass. You get out of it what you put in no matter how they choose to measure your time there.

People need to take their skills and talents into their own hands and find ways to make themselves marketable... indispensable.

At this point in time, it makes little difference. They're competing with experienced, hungry people. Shit better get turned around quick.

HonestChieffan
07-07-2010, 05:46 PM
No, carpenters. Haven't been on many job sites lately, have you?

do you know the difference? Your Mexican carpenters are not illiterate. I am quite sure there are skilled smart talented Mexican carpenters but carpenters are not illiterate or poorly skilled in the math required to do the job of framing, trim, and concrete forming that carpenters and millwrights do.

Brock
07-07-2010, 05:53 PM
do you know the difference? Your Mexican carpenters are not illiterate. I am quite sure there are skilled smart talented Mexican carpenters but carpenters are not illiterate or poorly skilled in the math required to do the job of framing, trim, and concrete forming that carpenters and millwrights do.

They can't seem to master the English language. They can't read or write. So yeah, they're illiterate, and I have a hard time imagining they're some kind of fucking mathematical wizards.

HonestChieffan
07-07-2010, 06:11 PM
Math is not confined to English. My great grandpa came here from Sweden as a carpenter. Bet he did math in Swedish.

Good christ I sound like a damn liberal.

RJ
07-07-2010, 06:35 PM
Math is not confined to English. My great grandpa came here from Sweden as a carpenter. Bet he did math in Swedish.

Good christ I sound like a damn liberal.

Which part?

Brock
07-07-2010, 06:38 PM
Your great grandpa was probably a craftsman. You won't find many craftsmen on an average homebuilding jobsite these days. Almost everything is prefab, from the roof trusses to the floor trusses, built on jigs that require very little thought.

fan4ever
07-07-2010, 06:50 PM

Unfortunately all the ones qualified for ditch digging are already have jobs in Washington.

fan4ever
07-07-2010, 07:01 PM

Six figures? Not if they're the ones doing the installing.

The Mad Crapper
07-07-2010, 07:07 PM
Brock: the self appointed labor authority.

LOL

What a dick.

Brock
07-07-2010, 07:11 PM
Brock: the self appointed labor authority.

LOL

What a dick.

I don't know what it's like to not have a job. LOL

What's it like to go months and months without working? LOL

RJ
07-07-2010, 07:14 PM
Six figures? Not if they're the ones doing the installing.

Yes, they are installing. I haven't known many that made that kind of money but I've known a few. A couple of guys I work with were making that a few years ago but not now and I don't see it happening again anytime soon.

Hell, one guy I work with was making about 200K. He was installing himself plus had another crew working for him. Then he decided to invest the cash into building a couple of very high end spec homes. That was right before the housing market crashed. He lost his ass and ended up filing bankruptcy. Guess he should have stuck with wood floors.

The Mad Crapper
07-07-2010, 07:15 PM
Brick is a homo.

LMAO

Brock
07-07-2010, 07:16 PM
TMC is an unemployed leech. ROFL

The Mad Crapper
07-07-2010, 07:22 PM
TMC is an unemployed leech. ROFL

Ha ha ha! ha

:drool:

It just goes to show what an imbecile you are-- your entire purpose for posting on the MB is "I'm union and unions are awesome" and "mexicans suck and they are stealing jobs away from americans"

then you go and (try to anyway) make jokes about me (allegedly) being unemployed.

Can a person be more ****ed up? I think not, Brick. I think not.

But alas, you are a scumbag, Brick. Always will be.

notorious
07-07-2010, 07:43 PM

Hush. LMAO

I bet you don't run into very many installers that have a 140 IQ..............;)

You are correct, most of the people that work on the same projects as myself are morons (there are a few exceptions).

BUT, you could put a book-smart math person in a room with one of these morons and the moron would own the book-smart guy when it comes to APPLYING the math.

If things slow down one of these days I will stop by and talk to you. It's about time to take daughter to the ICT zoo again, anyway.

RJ
07-07-2010, 08:25 PM
Hush. LMAO

I bet you don't run into very many installers that have a 140 IQ..............;)

You are correct, most of the people that work on the same projects as myself are morons (there are a few exceptions).

BUT, you could put a book-smart math person in a room with one of these morons and the moron would own the book-smart guy when it comes to APPLYING the math.

If things slow down one of these days I will stop by and talk to you. It's about time to take daughter to the ICT zoo again, anyway.

I'd love to meet you but I have no idea what the ICT zoo is. I'm in New Mexico.

And yeah, while there's a lot of grunt work involved in flooring installation it also requires some smarts and some skill to be good enough to do it professionally. More than most would think.

And back to the thread starter, flooring installation would be a great occupation to teach in a vo-tech school but I have rarely seen it done.

notorious
07-07-2010, 08:29 PM
I'd love to meet you but I have no idea what the ICT zoo is. I'm in New Mexico.

And yeah, while there's a lot of grunt work involved in flooring installation it also requires some smarts and some skill to be good enough to do it professionally. More than most would think.

And back to the thread starter, flooring installation would be a great occupation to teach in a vo-tech school but I have rarely seen it done.

Damn, I have you mixed up with a gentleman from Wichita.

I do fly to NM all of the time (Sante Fe, Taos, Las Cruces, ABQ) BTW. PM coming.

Brock
07-07-2010, 08:35 PM
Ha ha ha! ha

:drool:

It just goes to show what an imbecile you are-- your entire purpose for posting on the MB is "I'm union and unions are awesome" and "mexicans suck and they are stealing jobs away from americans"

then you go and (try to anyway) make jokes about me (allegedly) being unemployed.

Can a person be more ****ed up? I think not, Brick. I think not.

But alas, you are a scumbag, Brick. Always will be.

Nobody cares what you think. Nobody.

The Mad Crapper
07-08-2010, 08:07 AM
Nobody cares what you think. Nobody.

And you are certainly a nobody.