PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV Original Tron

jiveturkey
07-07-2010, 04:37 PM
So I DVR'd the original Tron off of one of the HD movie channels.

That movie is terrible. I've lost interest in seeing the new one later this year.

That is all.

Guru
07-07-2010, 04:46 PM
I liked the original. Still do.

jiveturkey
07-07-2010, 04:52 PM
I think that a lot of people do. That's why I was interested in seeing it. I was only 5 when the original came out.

Deberg_1990
07-07-2010, 04:59 PM
I never liked it all that much...even when it came out and I was like 11. Its very cold.

Its more novelty now than anything....I'm guessing the new one improves on it. It was nice they got Bridges to come back.
Posted via Mobile Device

Frazod
07-07-2010, 05:02 PM
I thought it was great, and still enjoy it.

Much like the original Star Wars, I really think you have to be older to appreciate the ground-breaking aspect of old movies like this. Every CGI movie these damn kids (GET OFF MY LAWN) take for granted has its origins in Tron.

Old fart rant over. :harumph:

Guru
07-07-2010, 05:07 PM

Much like the original Star Wars, I really think you have to be older to appreciate the ground-breaking aspect of old movies like this. Every CGI movie these damn kids (GET OFF MY LAWN) take for granted has its origins in Tron.

Let this old fart join you in your rant.:D

siberian khatru
07-07-2010, 05:48 PM
I never liked it all that much...even when it came out and I was like 11. Its very cold.

Its more novelty now than anything.

Posted via Mobile Device

I was 16, but I felt the same way. The effects didn't wow me even in '82. Watched it again a few years ago, still felt kind of "meh." It's not bad, I just don't have any affection for it.

To compare, the other night I watched the last hour or so of Empire Strikes Back with my sons, ages 15 and 11, while we were channel surfing. All of us know the movie backwards and forwards, and we were doing some riffing with Star Wars and other pop-culture references. But we also just wanted to re-watch, for the umpteenth time, all the action on Bespin. I sat there and told them (again) what it was like in the theater experiencing some of those scenes for the first time, how the audience reacted.

Brock
07-07-2010, 05:54 PM
The video game was great!

Deberg_1990
07-07-2010, 06:41 PM

heh..the dirty little secret is most of the "inside the computer" stuff in that flick isnt CGI.

It was done on sets and colored in.

Frazod
07-07-2010, 06:47 PM
heh..the dirty little secret is most of the "inside the computer" stuff in that flick isnt CGI.

It was done on sets and colored in.

I realize that. But all the vehicles and flying craft were done on the computer.

Frazod
07-07-2010, 06:48 PM
The video game was great!

Yes, it was, and I was pretty good at it back in the day. My best friend and I could make a game of doubles last well over an hour.

Deberg_1990
07-07-2010, 06:49 PM
Yes, it was, and I was pretty good at it back in the day. My best friend and I could make a game of doubles last well over an hour.

Was that the 3 in 1 game? It had the light cycles..and the disc stuff....and then another game if i remember right?

Guru
07-07-2010, 07:08 PM

I rocked on the MCP cone. Not so good with the cycles though.

Sure-Oz
07-07-2010, 07:35 PM
Ill watch the first one since ive not seen it, and watch the new one

Frazod
07-07-2010, 10:00 PM
Was that the 3 in 1 game? It had the light cycles..and the disc stuff....and then another game if i remember right?

Four in one - grid bugs, light cycles, tanks (or recognizers) and MCP cone.

Lzen
07-07-2010, 10:17 PM
Four in one - grid bugs, light cycles, tanks (or recognizers) and MCP cone.

Heck yeah! I rocked that game when I was a kid. Just played an original arcade version while on vacation a couple weeks ag. In the Cascade, Colorado campground that we stayed at, the office had an arcade in it.

I got the high score, too. :)

Guru
07-07-2010, 10:34 PM
Man, I wish I had that arcade game in my home. That was my all-time favorite.

Frazod
07-07-2010, 10:39 PM
Heck yeah! I rocked that game when I was a kid. Just played an original arcade version while on vacation a couple weeks ag. In the Cascade, Colorado campground that we stayed at, the office had an arcade in it.

I got the high score, too. :)

One of my best friends in Missouri has an arcade room in his basement - about 15 early-80's era games. Including Tron. It's fun to play when I visit, but obviously I can't take the time to get good again. I can get through the first three levels or so but then I start dying quickly.

Deberg_1990
07-07-2010, 10:45 PM
One of my best friends in Missouri has an arcade room in his basement - about 15 early-80's era games.

Is he this guy?

Frazod
07-07-2010, 10:46 PM
Is he this guy?

No.

Deberg_1990
07-07-2010, 10:49 PM
No.

heh...ever seen that movie? Funniest movie ever.

Frazod
07-07-2010, 10:54 PM
heh...ever seen that movie? Funniest movie ever.

Doesn't look familiar.

Deberg_1990
07-07-2010, 11:03 PM
Doesn't look familiar.

ah..ok..u didnt get the joke then. The pic is of a guy named Billy Mitchell. Hes the world record holder in Pac-Man and Donkey Kong.

The movie i was referring to was "King of Kong" a documentary that was out a few years ago about him and another guy trying to break his records.

Good movie..check it out sometime.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Mitchell_(gamer)

Pitt Gorilla
07-07-2010, 11:27 PM
How did this film get greenlit? People get "digitized" and end up inside the computer? Really?

HC_Chief
07-08-2010, 12:01 AM

Oh HELL yes. :thumb:

JD10367
07-08-2010, 07:00 AM
So I DVR'd the original Tron off of one of the HD movie channels.

That movie is terrible. I've lost interest in seeing the new one later this year.

That is all.

Two distinct points here: things from years ago, and prejudice.

Point 1, "Things from years ago": I've found that most things I enjoyed as a child/teen turned out to be pretty stupid when viewed as an adult. The only things that seem to hold up are the Rankin-Bass puppet specials. I've watched everything from Sid and Marty Krofft stuff, to "The Greatest American Hero" (which I recently DVRed off SyFy), and almost everything I revered when younger I now watch with adult eyes and say, "Holy crap, I can't believe I thought this was good."

Point 2, "Prejudice": not wanting to see a new film made in 2010, because of how you feel about the first film made in 1982, is pretty stupid. The newer film will share nothing with the old film except for the premise. The SFX are light-years better, the plot is different, the timbre of the film looks to be a little different, the actors are different, etc.,. As for the original, you have to remember that, when it was made, computers were strange and new things which no one really knew about or understood. The first Apple Macintosh was still two years away. Words like "floppy" or "mouse" were unknown. The Internet was still a wet dream in Al Gore's ballbag (according to him, at least). People's knowledge of computers extended to the rare family that owned a Tandy TRS-80 or Commodore 64, and ran basic programs that did little more than glorified calculating or spreadsheet work (and the occasional bad game with blocky graphics and 8-bit music). So, it was a little easier to believe in some unknown mythical tiny world, because computers WERE unknown and mythical tiny worlds to most people. And "Tron" isn't to far from it's dumbness than something like "The Matrix" or "Inception". It's just that "Tron" was very low-tech. (Also, it was a Disney film; if it had a bit more realism in terms of violence and darker imagery/plot, it probably would've been more believable.)

Brock
07-08-2010, 09:43 AM
How did this film get greenlit? People get "digitized" and end up inside the computer? Really?

Yeah, ha ha. I watched a movie the other night where toys came to life and talked and walked around. Really? Really?