PDA

View Full Version : Computers Google Wave

Fat Elvis
07-07-2010, 03:49 PM
What happened to it? Did it ever really take off?

Fish
07-07-2010, 04:00 PM
ROFL

Guru
07-07-2010, 04:08 PM
Google what?

CrazyPhuD
07-07-2010, 04:15 PM
it waved bye bye

Taco John
07-07-2010, 04:16 PM
How could it? It was a decent enough idea, but it doesn't integrate with MS Outlook. I tried to use it for my department, but ultimately, nobody liked having to go back and forth between Google Wave and MS Outlook. Everyone else they communicate with has Outlook. Nobody has Wave.

Now when Microsoft takes the idea and integrates it with Outlook, THAT will be pretty cool.

Fish
07-07-2010, 04:39 PM
And to think people were actually paying money to buy invites off eBay for this at the onset....

ROFL

The_Doctor10
07-07-2010, 04:43 PM
And to think people were actually paying money to buy invites off eBay for this at the onset....

ROFL

Hey dude, it's Google. When they announce something new, people are gonna take notice. Just like Apple. But nobody bats 1.000, it's not like they're suffering for it. It didn't work, no harm no foul.

DaFace
07-07-2010, 04:44 PM
It really is a cool idea, but unless the entire world flipped a switch one day and started using it, it's pretty tough to get off the ground.

Buck
07-07-2010, 04:45 PM
Hey dude, it's Google. When they announce something new, people are gonna take notice. Just like Apple. But nobody bats 1.000, it's not like they're suffering for it. It didn't work, no harm no foul.

I'm guessing you were one of the ones who paid for an unproven commodity.

Fish
07-07-2010, 04:49 PM

Hope you didn't spend too much... :D

|Zach|
07-07-2010, 05:23 PM
How could it? It was a decent enough idea, but it doesn't integrate with MS Outlook. I tried to use it for my department, but ultimately, nobody liked having to go back and forth between Google Wave and MS Outlook. Everyone else they communicate with has Outlook. Nobody has Wave.

Now when Microsoft takes the idea and integrates it with Outlook, THAT will be pretty cool.

Outlook is so terrible. It sucks that people in big companies shit themselves with even the smallest amount of change and can't pry themselves away from that rotting piece of shit.

Bearcat
07-07-2010, 05:34 PM
It really is a cool idea, but unless the entire world flipped a switch one day and started using it, it's pretty tough to get off the ground.

Yeah, and they only gave people 5-10 invites to start, so people got bored quickly. It took weeks for them to bump that to 20+.... strange how you could invite 100 people to gmail when it came out, even though no one else has to be using it for it to be useful to you, yet they made wave invites such a scarcity, even though it's best used when everyone is using it.

Outlook is so terrible. It sucks that people in big companies shit themselves with even the smallest amount of change and can't pry themselves away from that rotting piece of shit.

Having used Lotus Notes for 4 years with two different companies, Outlook could take a dump on my desk everyday and I'd still be happy to use it.

Not that I disagree with the part about how companies shit themselves with the smallest changes, but still....

Bearcat
07-07-2010, 05:36 PM
Oh, and it looks like I haven't waved since February 10th... and for some reason it says I have no contacts. Eh.

The_Doctor10
07-07-2010, 05:40 PM
I'm guessing you were one of the ones who paid for an unproven commodity.

Nope, didn't buy anything; I barely upgraded to the iPhone OS 4, and that was free lol

Deberg_1990
07-07-2010, 05:52 PM
The rumour is that Google is developing something to take on facebook.

DaFace
07-07-2010, 06:26 PM
The rumour is that Google is developing something to take on facebook.

Meh. I'm something of a Google fanboy, and I think they need to stay out of social media. They're good at being innovators - not chasing after established markets.

dirk digler
07-07-2010, 07:42 PM

Really? What is out there that is better and don't tell me Thunderbird.

The_Doctor10
07-07-2010, 07:44 PM
Meh. I'm something of a Google fanboy, and I think they need to stay out of social media. They're good at being innovators - not chasing after established markets.

Yeah, that stupid 'Google Buzz' thing worked out well... All it was was Twitter. Facebook and Twitter are entrenched enough at this point that it's pretty stupid to build some alternative that only true Google fanboys are gonna use.

DaFace
07-07-2010, 08:10 PM
Really? What is out there that is better and don't tell me Thunderbird.

http://www.google.com/apps/intl/en/business/index.html

To be clear, I'm not advocating Docs as an Office replacement. But Google's mail, contacts, calendar, and tasks are as good as Outlook/Exchange IMO.

dirk digler
07-07-2010, 08:46 PM

To be clear, I'm not advocating Docs as an Office replacement. But Google's mail, contacts, calendar, and tasks are as good as Outlook/Exchange IMO.

I looked into google for our business and I personally use Gmail but for us it is pretty much impossible due to HIPAA.

Taco John
07-09-2010, 03:44 AM

It would be cool for me to agree with you, except that I can't. I can send messages to anyone. I can schedule meetings with virtually anyone in business, and get notices that they have me on their calendar. That's all I really need. Everything else is peripheral.

What more do you need?

Taco John
07-09-2010, 03:45 AM

We supplement with Docs, but it never fails that when someone sources a document, they use MS. And for good reason. It's the top shelf. It pisses me off sometimes, but at the end of the day, it's the best there is.

HC_Chief
07-09-2010, 05:35 AM
It's okay, but not at all feature-rich (e.g. graphics in docs and spreadsheets fail formatting and display on import/conversion)

Office online is way better.

HC_Chief
07-09-2010, 05:39 AM

:spock:
And what would you suggest? Groupwise? Google mail (i.e. browser)?

Outlook is a collaboration application; mail is simply a component. Integrated with Exchange and OCS it is a capable of mail, messaging, desktop sharing, collaboration (e.g. Live Meeting), calendaring, enterprise resource management, and CRM.

If all you need is email it could be considered overkill, but it is certainly not "a rotting POS". It is the industry standard for a reason: it is, by far, the best groupware app in the market. Nothing comes even remotely close.

Otter
07-09-2010, 09:15 AM
Yeah, and they only gave people 5-10 invites to start, so people got bored quickly. It took weeks for them to bump that to 20+.... strange how you could invite 100 people to gmail when it came out, even though no one else has to be using it for it to be useful to you, yet they made wave invites such a scarcity, even though it's best used when everyone is using it.

Having used Lotus Notes for 4 years with two different companies, Outlook could take a dump on my desk everyday and I'd still be happy to use it.

Not that I disagree with the part about how companies shit themselves with the smallest changes, but still....

Agree on all points. There was no one to 'play' with and Lotus Notes sucks.

irishjayhawk
07-09-2010, 02:44 PM

AGree on both counts.

It would be cool for me to agree with you, except that I can't. I can send messages to anyone. I can schedule meetings with virtually anyone in business, and get notices that they have me on their calendar. That's all I really need. Everything else is peripheral.

What more do you need?

I think he would point out that alternatives do this without teh suck.

Bearcat
07-09-2010, 03:07 PM
We use Outlook 2007 and the only issue I have with it at the moment is that sometimes it gets stuck sending/receiving, and if I restart Outlook, it won't connect to Exchange (rebooting fixes it... and Lotus Notes was HORRIBLE about refreshing; garbage).... haven't had time to look into it, but outside of that happening twice and a couple of minor annoyances with shared calendars, it does what it's supposed to do, and it plays nice with Office Communicator and my Palm Pre.

Of course, I'm biased towards anything that's not Lotus Notes, but I don't see why a company would need to switch.

KCFalcon59
07-09-2010, 07:11 PM

Try using it for nearly 15 years. The worst piece of shit ever. I hate lotus notes!!!! :# :cuss: :banghead:

Bearcat
07-09-2010, 07:51 PM
I like how the Google Wave discussion lasted about as long as Google Wave...

Try using it for nearly 15 years. The worst piece of shit ever. I hate lotus notes!!!! :# :cuss: :banghead:

It's mind blowing... it functions worse than Windows Mobile and is less intuitive than quantum physics. It doesn't do anything good or even competently. On my second day ever using it, I missed like an hour long email chain that I was CCed on because I didn't know LN had an issue where it randomly doesn't refresh the screen to show you have new mail... WTF?!?! How can you get that wrong? I've forgotten a lot of the functionality issues... I know it was a challenge creating new mail folders, keyboard shortcuts didn't make sense (refresh wasn't F5, etc), it would hijack my clipboard sometimes when copying/pasting and LN would end up crashing, it would constantly go to a Not Responding state.....

Sorry, man... do you work for IBM? ;) :(

KCFalcon59
07-09-2010, 09:24 PM
I like how the Google Wave discussion lasted about as long as Google Wave...

It's mind blowing... it functions worse than Windows Mobile and is less intuitive than quantum physics. It doesn't do anything good or even competently. On my second day ever using it, I missed like an hour long email chain that I was CCed on because I didn't know LN had an issue where it randomly doesn't refresh the screen to show you have new mail... WTF?!?! How can you get that wrong? I've forgotten a lot of the functionality issues... I know it was a challenge creating new mail folders, keyboard shortcuts didn't make sense (refresh wasn't F5, etc), it would hijack my clipboard sometimes when copying/pasting and LN would end up crashing, it would constantly go to a Not Responding state.....

Sorry, man... do you work for IBM? ;) :(

F5 locks the goddamn product. God I hate when I hit that accidentily. F9 refreshes, sometimes. You can set it to auto refresh, but it doesn't work. Slowest piece of shit application ever. And if it crashes, we had to reboot. Luckily we have a nice little app that we can run to kill all the processes associated with it and prevent the reboot. Only took about 10 years for someone to write that for our users. No I don't work for IBM, but we have IBM systems all through our enterprise.

Guru
07-09-2010, 09:57 PM
Try using it for nearly 15 years. The worst piece of shit ever. I hate lotus notes!!!! :# :cuss: :banghead:5 has been enough for me.:banghead:

Taco John
07-09-2010, 11:47 PM
I think he would point out that alternatives do this without teh suck.

I'd have to be clear on what qualifies as "teh suck" part. Every alternative that I've tried doesn't even touch outlook for business, particularly when you're dealing with big clients.

I'd be happy to use a better product if there was one out there.

I like Gmail for personal email, but following a thread in it for business is tedious and cumbersome.

Bearcat
07-10-2010, 03:51 AM
F5 locks the goddamn product. God I hate when I hit that accidentily. F9 refreshes, sometimes. You can set it to auto refresh, but it doesn't work. Slowest piece of shit application ever. And if it crashes, we had to reboot. Luckily we have a nice little app that we can run to kill all the processes associated with it and prevent the reboot. Only took about 10 years for someone to write that for our users. No I don't work for IBM, but we have IBM systems all through our enterprise.

IIRC, it was just the nl* processes that I had to kill so I didn't have to reboot after a crash, and maybe a couple of others.... but yeah, it's a huge pain in the ass either way. I remember during my last week at my last job, I was researching an issue, and Lotus Notes crashed after trying to copy/paste something into an email, and I go back and find a bunch of crap again because it didn't save or even try to recover anything... and then it happened a second time, and it ended up wasting over an hour just trying to email something. If it hadn't been the second to last day, knowing my next job used Outlook, I might have put a laptop-sized hole into my wall.