PDA

View Full Version : Misc Need Advice: Hiring A Disability Lawyer

Dinny Blues
07-07-2010, 04:59 PM
I'd ask a bunch of questions here, but I don't even know what to ask.

I have applied for disability and been turned down. Have been advised to hire a lawyer for an appeal or something, and that's all I got.

I must admit to being more comfortable in situations where I have a better understanding of what the heck is going on.

I'm in Springfield if that makes any difference.

TIA.

Dinny

bevischief
07-07-2010, 05:05 PM
I would like to hear more on this well, I am in KC, my wife is close to doing this.

Mr. Laz
07-07-2010, 05:15 PM
this could get ugly

Gracie Dean
07-07-2010, 05:15 PM
don't let reaper see this...he will dog your post

Gracie Dean
07-07-2010, 05:16 PM
my brother in law is looking for one, I will shoot you any names he finds, but it would be in Kansas

RNR
07-07-2010, 05:30 PM
My brother in law went through this a while back. He was turned down also, I think that is standard. He was a couple years from where he could retire. He had a solid case with doctors backing him. He suffers from sezures (sp) and they get to the grand maul (sp) stage and he will flop on the floor and when they are over he is not capable of talking and will wander around doing odd things. It takes a couple days to get over it, although most the time he ends up in the hospital first. They jacked him around for a year or better, so yeah you better lawyer up. My sis said it is a real hassle and they make it as hard as they can. I assume this is to weed out the dead beats and con artists. Good luck~

Groves
07-07-2010, 05:47 PM
As if your having a bad back wasn't enough. Ouch.

My dad go Alzheimer's early in life and he had to fight tooth and nail to get disability, too.

Lawyer up, I hope it's quick for you.

stumppy
07-07-2010, 06:26 PM
You might check out Gerald Liljedahl. (sp?)
Disability is all he does, worked for the SSA before he went into private practice. I know 3 people who have used him and he did alright by them.

Cave Johnson
07-07-2010, 07:07 PM
PM me with any questions. This is one of my 2 practice areas (the other being work comp).

Nzoner
07-07-2010, 07:25 PM
PM me with any questions. This is one of my 2 practice areas (the other being work comp).

Good to know,my mrs just filed her private disability(with her doctor's approval) we've had with our own company since 2000.I run into any shit whatsoever after paying $650 a month premiums and I'm lawyering up immediately.

booger
07-07-2010, 08:27 PM

Good to know,my mrs just filed her private disability(with her doctor's approval) we've had with our own company since 2000.I run into any shit whatsoever after paying $650 a month premiums and I'm lawyering up immediately.

good to see a cp member can possibly help out with mrs. nzoner and in dinnys case too. :clap:

good luck on this to everyone involved.

had a family member go through this in '01 and it took 8-9 months or so with multiple dr approvals and the process was rough. I can only imagine it is worse these days.

go bowe
07-07-2010, 08:39 PM
I'd ask a bunch of questions here, but I don't even know what to ask.

I have applied for disability and been turned down. Have been advised to hire a lawyer for an appeal or something, and that's all I got.

I must admit to being more comfortable in situations where I have a better understanding of what the heck is going on.

I'm in Springfield if that makes any difference.

TIA.

Dinny

My brother in law went through this a while back. He was turned down also, I think that is standard. He was a couple years from where he could retire. He had a solid case with doctors backing him. He suffers from sezures (sp) and they get to the grand maul (sp) stage and he will flop on the floor and when they are over he is not capable of talking and will wander around doing odd things. It takes a couple days to get over it, although most the time he ends up in the hospital first. They jacked him around for a year or better, so yeah you better lawyer up. My sis said it is a real hassle and they make it as hard as they can. I assume this is to weed out the dead beats and con artists. Good luck~i did disability claims for over 20 years, and that's exactly how it goes in most cases...

look for a lawyer in the yellow pages who advertizes for disability cases...

if you're in the kc area, pm me for a recommendation...

luv
07-07-2010, 10:31 PM
Going to school to be a paralegal. All of my teachers have worked in the field. I can see who they recommend.

sparkky
07-08-2010, 08:30 AM
I was lucky, or unlucky POV I guess, I filed by phone the first week of January this year and had a years back pay the first week of March. I never went to an SSI office or had to see "their" doctors.

I was told a few things by SSI I dealt with I found interesting.
some states have better "first time award" success rates than others. here in arkie is one of the best at 35% they said.

age and occupation also play a part.

I expected the whole thing to be a battle royal of epic proportion but it was easier than one of my union disability claims. I didn't know if I would live long enough to wade thru the SSI thing. :cuss: :banghead:

Sometimes it almost seems like they drag it out hoping you'll die before it gets settled.

I wish all the very best of luck.

DMAC
07-08-2010, 08:49 AM
Go to RGG Law over by Cox South. Just go talk to them, if they decide to pursue the case, you have a high probablity of getting approved.

At that point it is a long process of just waiting to get in front of the judge.

Dinny Blues
07-08-2010, 09:01 AM
Thanks for your advice, everyone.

I had an appointment at RGG, they are a "do it all" kind of firm. I waited in the waiting room for a half hour. At twenty minutes past the scheduled appointment time, I decided to find another lawyer.

I have an appointment tomorrow afternoon to see the Liljedahl guy that stumpy mentioned. He sounds like the kind of attorney I am looking for.

I'm prepared for the long haul, and have no expectations.

Dinny

Cave Johnson
07-08-2010, 09:13 AM
I'm prepared for the long haul, and have no expectations.

Dinny

Good, because the Springfield office is one of the worst in the nation in terms of the time between your appeal and hearing. It's in the bottom ten and the average is roughly 600 days.

Dinny Blues
07-08-2010, 09:25 AM
Good, because the Springfield office is one of the worst in the nation in terms of the time between your appeal and hearing. It's in the bottom ten and the average is roughly 600 days.

The guy that took my application said an appeal would take two years.

Dinny

Cave Johnson
07-08-2010, 09:29 AM
The guy that took my application said an appeal would take two years.

Dinny

That's what it was running for a while, but the situation is getting better. They've been using judges from elsewhere (Wichita, mainly) to reduce the backlog.

I did a trial yesterday with a guy who appealed in March 09. A year and a half is what I tell my clients.

GoHuge
07-08-2010, 09:30 AM
Dinny what exactly is your ailment? When I had a really bad accident I got mine done in a little over three months. Have since gotten off of it, but it is an epic battle for alot of people. It blows people away when they hear about how quickly it happened for me. No lawyer or anything. I was 19 at the time and my mom handled it all. She kind of works in a similar field and new who to get in touch with. She started the process two weeks after my accident. Like I said it is virtually impossible for it to happen as quickly as mine did from what I hear. Maybe I was just lucky. Either way it was a blessing because I needed it to happen quickly in a big way. Good luck!

boogblaster
07-08-2010, 09:37 AM
James Martin .. in Overland Park .. best lawyer around .....

Dinny Blues
07-08-2010, 09:47 AM
Got an appointment with pittsie in the morning.

I feel fortunate being able to do business with a fellow planeteer.

Thanks pittsie.

Dinny

luv
07-08-2010, 09:50 AM
Got an appointment with pittsie in the morning.

I feel fortunate being able to do business with a fellow planeteer.

Thanks pittsie.

Dinny

Awesome! :thumb:

Cave Johnson
07-08-2010, 09:53 AM
Awesome! :thumb:

How much longer do you have in paralegal school? Hopefully the legal market will have rebounded somewhat by the time you get out.

Nzoner
07-20-2010, 09:37 AM
Dammit!!We've paid over $70,000 in to private disability since 2000 and the mrs has the backing of her doc.They've already filled out countless forms and now we get a letter that says they don't have enough focking info and I need to get a typesetter hired and could use some damn financial help in doing so.:cuss:

allwendy
02-17-2011, 01:56 AM
If you are looking for a disability lawyer then there are a few questions you should ask up front. It is okay to be extra cautious regarding this matter.

CrazyHorse
02-17-2011, 08:40 AM
Yeah, I did the online app. and was approved in 2 weeks. But I'm pretty nimble in negotiations which is all it is. You have to recognize some of the snares, but if you see them, you can do it. Not to mention Im terminal and needed a lung transplant. Hard for them to argue that I didn't qualify. But they stillb yank my benefits every now and then to make sure Im not sleeping. You'll love how they treat you. You know...like you're stealing.

Getting a lawyer in Arkansas is easy. They just keep trying until it goes through. They dont get paid until you do. The good thing for you is that benefit will be retroactive to the 1st application date. Which basically means your meter is already running. Its just a matter of getting it rolling. You'll get a large sum up front once it does.

Good luck and be patient. It will happen in time and those bills will be waiting for you when you finally get it done.