View Full Version : Video Games Watch Oakland burn tonight

Brock
07-08-2010, 06:13 PM
Verdict reached in California policeman murder trial

Tough choices for LA jurors in cop's murder trial
6:40pm EDTRelated TopicsU.S.
By Steve Gorman

LOS ANGELES | Thu Jul 8, 2010 6:40pm EDT

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - A jury reached a verdict on Thursday in the racially charged trial of a white transit police officer charged with murder in the shooting death of an unarmed black man that triggered a night of rioting in Oakland, California, last year.

The verdict, returned after less than a week of deliberations, was scheduled to be read in court at 4 p.m. local time (2300 GMT), according to the court's public information office.

The jurors had to decide whether the videotaped shooting was the deliberate act of a rogue officer or a tragic mistake.

The defendant, Johannes Mehserle, 28, testified he mistakenly drew his handgun instead of his electric Taser weapon and shot Oscar Grant, 22, while trying to subdue him during a New Year's Day 2009 confrontation.

But prosecutors said in closing arguments that Mehserle "lost all control" and intentionally shot Grant because the victim was resisting arrest.

The former Bay Area Rapid Transit police officer faces one count of second-degree murder in the shooting, recorded by onlookers on videos that circulated widely on the Internet and aired on television.

Grant appeared to be lying face down on the train platform when he was shot in the back.

The killing unleashed a night of civil unrest in Oakland, where angry demonstrators smashed store windows and set cars on fire. Police arrested over 100 people on charges of vandalism, unlawful assembly and assault.

Demonstrations were planned in Oakland by Grant's supporters following the verdict but civic leaders have appealed for calm.

Police in Oakland, across the Bay from San Francisco, moved to a tactical alert status earlier in the week to be ready for any unrest after the verdict is returned.

It is rare for a police officer to be charged with murder in connection with an on-duty shooting. Mehserle has been free on $3 million bond.

The Alameda County Superior Court judge in the case, which was moved to Los Angeles because of heavy pre-trial publicity in Oakland, ruled the jury could not consider a first-degree murder charge. Judge Robert Perry held there was too little evidence to show the killing was premedidated.

If convicted of second-degree murder, Mehserle faces a sentence of up to life in prison. The jury alternatively could find him guilty of lesser charges of voluntary or involuntary manslaughter or acquit him altogether.

Bane
07-08-2010, 06:15 PM
I have been waiting for this,and not in a good way either.

Dicky McElephant
07-08-2010, 06:16 PM
He got Involuntary Manslaughter. 2-4 years in prison.

Sweet Daddy Hate
Oh shit.

kstater
Don't know anything about the story and am generally on the LE side of most of the tazer debates, but I find it very hard to believe that an officer grabbed his gun instead of his tazer by accident.

Dicky McElephant
07-08-2010, 06:17 PM
http://www.kcra.com/news/24188631/detail.html

LOS ANGELES -- Jurors have found former Bay Area Rapid Transit officer Johannes Mehserle guilty of involuntary manslaughter in the shooting of Oscar Grant. He is facing two to four years in prison.

Join the conversation
The eight-woman, four-man jury returned to talks Thursday after they spent roughly only three hours in discussions Wednesday because a juror had a doctor's appointment.

Mehserle, 28, has pleaded not guilty in the fatal shooting of 22-year-old Oscar Grant when officers responded to fight at a train station on New Year's Day 2009. Mehserle, who is white, claims he mistakenly pulled his handgun instead of a Taser.

The case went to the jury Friday and there were only two hours of deliberations before the three-day holiday weekend. A juror's illness prevented deliberations Tuesday and one of the panelists was replaced this week by an alternate.

LiveWire -- Real-Time Coverage

A team of more than 100 military personnel hit the streets of Oakland Thursday to prevent any possible riots that could result from the outcome of the trial, which was moved from Alameda County to Los Angeles because of racial tensions and intense media coverage.

Police in Oakland prepared by getting crowd-control training and working 12-hour shifts. A group of activists planned a rally outside City Hall.

East Bay Restaurant Supply, which is headquartered in Oakland and has an office in Sacramento, sent its employees home early Thursday because of the pending verdict announcement.

None of the jurors listed their race as black. Seven said they were white, three were Latino, and one was Asian-Pacific. One declined to state their race.

The verdict followed a three-week trial in which prosecutors played videos by bystanders, and witnesses recounted hearing the frightening gunshot that killed Grant.

Alameda County Deputy District Attorney David Stein said in his closing argument that Mehserle let his emotions get the better of him and intended to shoot Grant with the handgun without justification.

Alameda County Supervisor Keith Carson is a member of the Black Elected Officials and Clergy of the East Bay. The group issued an open letter to the community, urging calm after the verdict.

Carson said if Mehserle is not found guilty, the group will push for other legal action

"We will go to the justice department," Carson said. "We will go to our legislators, as people have done before us to address it."

Traffic leaving Oakland is backed up. Meanwhile, BART officials are asking passengers -- especially those riding near the downtown San Francisco and downtown Oakland stations -- to be patient with service because the trains are very full as a result of the verdict.

"All of our trains are on time; however, they are very packed with passengers," BART spokesman Linton Johnson said.

A protest that took place a week after the BART shooting turned violent, as demonstrators in Oakland smashed windows and turned over cars.

One week later, hundreds of demonstrators marched in the streets of Oakland in protest.

Some demonstrators chanted "I am Oscar Grant" as they marched down the streets.

Mehserle was arrested in the Zephyr Cove area of Lake Tahoe, Nev. His attorney, Christopher Miller, insisted that the former BART officer went to Nevada not to run from the investigation, but to keep himself and his family safe.

"He was in constant communication with me and with my office. There was no effort whatsoever to avoid arrest, he took his family up there for a few days to get away from the pressures of what was going on in the Bay Area, and as you are all aware there were some death threats, significant death threats made against him and against his family. So he had an opportunity to get out of the area and try to ease his mind a little bit," Miller said.

This case is not the first time a police officer said he accidentally shot a suspect with a gun instead of a Taser.

In Sacramento on March 10, 2001, Officer Thomas Shrum shot drunken driving suspect Steven Yount in the left buttock with a 9mm pistol. Shrum said he thought he was using a Taser.

Yount recovered from his wounds. Shrum was never charged.

Yount sued the city of Sacramento. The city settled with Yount a month ago for $300,000.

Buck
07-08-2010, 06:18 PM
A Cop in Prison.

This should turn out well.

RedNeckRaider
07-08-2010, 06:19 PM
Don't know anything about the story and am generally on the LE side of most of the tazer debates, but I find it very hard to believe that an officer grabbed his gun instead of his tazer by accident.

That dog don't hunt~

petegz28
07-08-2010, 06:20 PM

I've seen the video. I find it hard to believe that a trained officer, while maybe mistakingly drawing his firearm, doesn't realize it before he pulls the trigger.

Reaper16
07-08-2010, 06:21 PM
Cop is already dead.

Now to watch Cleveland burn.

Dicky McElephant
07-08-2010, 06:21 PM
A Cop in Prison.

This should turn out well.

Protective custody. I seriously don't think he'll spend a minute in gen pop.

Bane
07-08-2010, 06:22 PM
Cop is already dead.

Now to watch Cleveland burn.

ROFL

Dicky McElephant
07-08-2010, 06:38 PM
Annnnnnnnnd they're already bitching.

Go ahead and burn down Oakland. That place is a shithole anyways.

Bwana
07-08-2010, 06:44 PM
Protective custody. I seriously don't think he'll spend a minute in gen pop.

Bingo

Goldmember
07-08-2010, 06:50 PM
All I have to say is, what motive did the cop have for killing the kid in front of dozens of witnesses? How do you intentionally shoot someone you are on top of and they are face down? I guy made a terrible mistake that cost the kid his life.

Dicky McElephant
07-08-2010, 06:50 PM
Alameda County, Oakland courthouses evacuated; city employees in Oakland seen leaving; BART tells passengers to leave San Francisco and Oakland; CHP academy preparing to mobilize ahead of verdict

Goldmember
07-08-2010, 06:52 PM
Annnnnnnnnd they're already bitching.

Go ahead and burn down Oakland. That place is a shithole anyways.

Probably the same people that were rejoicing the OJ acquittal are pissed off about this convinction.

Frazod
07-08-2010, 06:53 PM
:popcorn:

Goldmember
07-08-2010, 06:53 PM

I work in DT oakland and got an alert on my phone at 3 PM and got the hell out of town.

Sweet Daddy Hate
07-08-2010, 06:54 PM
:popcorn:

LMAO

Dicky McElephant
07-08-2010, 06:54 PM
I work in DT oakland and got an alert on my phone at 3 PM and got the hell out of town.

You're a smart man.

Federal offices have already told their employees to go home.

Goldmember
07-08-2010, 06:55 PM
I've seen the video. I find it hard to believe that a trained officer, while maybe mistakingly drawing his firearm, doesn't realize it before he pulls the trigger.

Maybe he didn't mean to pull it, maybe scare the kid

Goldmember
07-08-2010, 06:57 PM
Now his family's supporters are instigating riots making it a black/white issue.

Dicky McElephant
07-08-2010, 06:58 PM
Now his family's supporters are instigating riots making it a black/white issue.

Of course they are.

Bwana
07-08-2010, 06:59 PM

Shocking!.....wait

Brock
07-08-2010, 07:00 PM
All the news channels are LiLo 24-7.

Goldmember
07-08-2010, 07:02 PM
Shocking!.....wait

Well, they've been pleading no violence whatever the verdict was. Now their supporters are basically doing everything to instigate a riot.

Goldmember
07-08-2010, 07:03 PM

Also was guilty of gun inhancement which could add up to 10 years.

Bwana
07-08-2010, 07:04 PM
Also was guilty of gun inhancement which could add up to 10 years.

WTF is gun enhancement?

Sweet Daddy Hate
07-08-2010, 07:07 PM
WTF is gun enhancement?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_UfBePUbn2Us/SMMFYih5tQI/AAAAAAAADD0/EiOadTHI7xo/s400/smilingbob.jpg

Goldmember
07-08-2010, 07:09 PM
WTF is gun enhancement?

First time I've heard of it but that's what they are reporting. Gun enhancement connected with involuntary manslaughter as opposed to other means of manslaughter I guess.

Goldmember
07-08-2010, 07:09 PM
LMAOhttp://1.bp.blogspot.com/_UfBePUbn2Us/SMMFYih5tQI/AAAAAAAADD0/EiOadTHI7xo/s400/smilingbob.jpg

Bwana
07-08-2010, 07:14 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_UfBePUbn2Us/SMMFYih5tQI/AAAAAAAADD0/EiOadTHI7xo/s400/smilingbob.jpg

Awww, I see. So that would be like a Clint Eastwood signature model .44 Magnum then. No doubt with the EXTRA long barrel.

Ugly Duck
07-08-2010, 07:34 PM
You guys just won me a bet with my wife. She said this is totally local, I said it'll even be on ChiefsPlanet. I am right, she is wrong, but we both expect Oakland & LA to start buring tonight.

Bane
07-08-2010, 07:43 PM
You guys just won me a bet with my wife. She said this is totally local, I said it'll even be on ChiefsPlanet. I am right, she is wrong, but we both expect Oakland & LA to start buring tonight.

I win bets with my wife all the time about how fast stuff hits CP.....LMAO

Ugly Duck
07-08-2010, 07:53 PM
Hey... I'm out in cow country in the North Bay, but my peeps in the City said as soon as it was announced there was a verdict everybody tried to get out of SF & Oakland all at once. Snarled up traffic to the no-go point. Folks are scared of nightfall in the hoods of the Bay Area and LA. But... this is the hip-hop generation. There is a chance that they just don't have the fever like prior generations did. We might come out of this without any Reginald Deney type situations...

Dicky McElephant
07-08-2010, 08:03 PM
Hey... I'm out in cow country in the North Bay, but my peeps in the City said as soon as it was announced there was a verdict everybody tried to get out of SF & Oakland all at once. Snarled up traffic to the no-go point. Folks are scared of nightfall in the hoods of the Bay Area and LA. But... this is the hip-hop generation. There is a chance that they just don't have the fever like prior generations did. We might come out of this without any Reginald Deney type situations...

In Petaluma?

Hog Farmer
07-08-2010, 08:15 PM
I'd like to make a comment but I'm restraining myself !

Ugly Duck
07-08-2010, 08:32 PM
In Petaluma?No.. no, we don't expect any trouble in Petaluma. Like I said - this is cow country. World class Holsteins out here. Folks in the City & East Bay are scared of nightfall in the hoods. I tell ya... crowds are already starting to gather in the city streets & it won't get dark for another coupla hours. They do have a point... all Oscar & his posse were doing was beat on people on the commuter trains. It's getting to the point where gangs can't even beat people down without the cops stepping in. What is the world coming to? Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?

Halfcan
07-08-2010, 09:13 PM

dumbass demarcus russell will get more time for selling cough syrup-lol

petegz28
07-08-2010, 09:36 PM
Maybe he didn't mean to pull it, maybe scare the kid

I've seen the video. Again, this is a trained police officer. He had time to recognize that it was not his tazer. Fuck, one so trained in weapons and firearms should be able to tell just by the feel and where he grabbed the firearm from. Was it intentional? I won't go that far. Could he and did he have time to avoid it? Yes, imo.

Bane
07-08-2010, 09:40 PM
I've seen the video. Again, this is a trained police officer. He had time to recognize that it was not his tazer. ****, one so trained in weapons and firearms should be able to tell just by the feel and where he grabbed the firearm from. Was it intentional? I won't go that far. Could he and did he have time to avoid it? Yes, imo.

I guess in the heat of the moment anything could have happened. I know personally I can tell the difference when my hand gun has a full mag vs half mag or even no ammo at all in the mag,so I just have a hard time believing he didn't know which one he grabbed.

Pitt Gorilla
07-08-2010, 09:44 PM
Protective custody. I seriously don't think he'll spend a minute in gen pop.He should get general pop.

petegz28
07-08-2010, 09:44 PM
I guess in the heat of the moment anything could have happened. I know personally I can tell the difference when my hand gun has a full mag vs half mag or even no ammo at all in the mag,so I just have a hard time believing he didn't know which one he grabbed.

This I agree with. I am giving him the benefit of the doubt I guess. But I agree, how can you not tell the difference between your firearm and your tazer? They are two totally different weapons with two totally different feels.

InChiefsHell
07-08-2010, 09:48 PM
Yeah, there's gotta be a general weight difference and a "feel in your hand" difference between a tazer and a friggin gun...I haven't see the video, but that sounds like just about the dumbest excuse I've ever heard of...:spock:

I wonder if this guy gets killed in prison if all the white folks in Hollywood will wig the fuck out and riot...

Sweet Daddy Hate
07-08-2010, 10:01 PM
I wonder if this guy gets killed in prison if Mel Gibson will wig the fuck out and riot...

Fxd!

Ugly Duck
07-08-2010, 10:13 PM
how can you not tell the difference between your firearm and your tazer? They are two totally different weapons with two totally different feels.

Here's the model (nearly) used:

http://kystes.blog.lemonde.fr/files/2008/05/taser-x26_1.1212088707.jpg

Ugly Duck
07-08-2010, 10:20 PM
Protesters kick at an unmarked police car as it is chased out of the area of Broadway and 12th Street in downtown Oakland

http://imgs.sfgate.com/c/pictures/2010/07/08/ba-mehserle_092__0501945842.jpg

A woman is hit by an unmarked police vehicle near the corner of Broadway and 12th Street as groups gathered in downtown Oakland

http://imgs.sfgate.com/c/pictures/2010/07/08/ba-mehserle_071__0501945841.jpg

http://imgs.sfgate.com/c/pictures/2010/07/08/ba-mehserle09_0501945837.jpg

Chocolate Hog
07-08-2010, 10:27 PM
Looks like Jarred Page hasn't signed his tender because he's trying to be a lawyer.

JarradPage44 This is a damn shame! Cops can LITERALLY get away with MURDER! Barack u have to do somethin about this verdict. (cont) http://tl.gd/2d0m6s

Chocolate Hog
07-08-2010, 11:29 PM
He responded @Bigbil1985 chill out bro I'm a UCLA grad. He got involved when they arrested the Harvard professor at his home and it made headlines. Check ur facts IDIOT

Mojo Rising
07-09-2010, 12:06 AM
He should have been found innocent. He was carrying the taser on the same side as his pistol. There was a lack of training for the transit officers and Bart's taser policies have changed since the accident. Why?

Why would he blatantly kill someone in cold blood in front of a crowd of camera phones and video cameras?

He isn't the first to mistake the taser for the pistol. He is the first to be convicted for it.

It was a very stressful situation with a resisting perp. The cop was under trained and made a bad mistake. It was a mistake.

If the thug, who had been tased before for resisting arrest, would have co-operated and not tried to fight the cop this wouldn't have happened. It probably wouldn't have happened if he and his gang didn't start the fight on the train in the 1st place.

Goldmember
07-09-2010, 12:08 AM
My office is right where this crap was happening. I work from home most of the time because I don't like going down there anyway

Goldmember
07-09-2010, 12:10 AM
I've seen the video. Again, this is a trained police officer. He had time to recognize that it was not his tazer. Fuck, one so trained in weapons and firearms should be able to tell just by the feel and where he grabbed the firearm from. Was it intentional? I won't go that far. Could he and did he have time to avoid it? Yes, imo.

Like I said, maybe he did realize it was his gun but wanted to scare the kid and accidentally pulled the trigger. Either way, it was a dumbass move and a senseless killing.

Mojo Rising
07-09-2010, 12:20 AM
He has only been using the taser for a short while and the force had a limited supply so they weren't allowed to take them home to get a real feel for them.

This was a mistake in the heat of a volatile situation. If the kid would not have resisted this would not have happened.

Ugly Duck
07-09-2010, 12:20 AM
Looting started after nightfall... but cops are all over it arresting people. Rocks, bottles, M-1000s thrown, but crowds seem scared cuz there are taq squads from surrounding areas out in force. Violence fizzling out.

Looting a Foot Locker:

http://llnw.image.cbslocal.com/23/2010/07/09/320x240/bart_verdict_violence_070810_01.jpg

Pablo
07-09-2010, 12:23 AM
I hope Bubb Rubb and Lil Sis are OK.

Goldmember
07-09-2010, 12:26 AM
I wonder if this guy gets killed in prison if all the white folks in Hollywood will wig the fuck out and riot...

Did white folks riot when OJ got acquitted? No, white folks only riot when their team wins a national championship.

Reaper16
07-09-2010, 12:29 AM
Looting started after nightfall... but cops are all over it arresting people. Rocks, bottles, M-1000s thrown, but crowds seem scared cuz there are taq squads from surrounding areas out in force. Violence fizzling out.

Looting a Foot Locker:

http://llnw.image.cbslocal.com/23/2010/07/09/320x240/bart_verdict_violence_070810_01.jpg
To be fair, I would totally loot a shoe store.

Pablo
07-09-2010, 12:30 AM
April 26, 1992 there was a riot in the streets, tell me where were you.

July 8th, 2010 there was a riot in the streets out in Oakland.

Goldmember
07-09-2010, 12:32 AM

If you would loot a store then you are a piece of shit. If I were a store owner, I'd wait in my store for the first fucker to break in and then shoot the bastard.

Reaper16
07-09-2010, 12:34 AM
If you would loot a store then you are a piece of shit. If I were a store owner, I'd wait in my store for the first fucker to break in and then shoot the bastard.
Well, I won't be the first fucker.

BillSelfsTrophycase
07-09-2010, 12:35 AM
http://pix.motivatedphotos.com/2008/6/8/633485591540824622-napalm.jpg

Problem Solved

Ugly Duck
07-09-2010, 12:35 AM

Looters ran out into the streets & immediately started selling the goods to the crowd. Very efficient, but totally on camera.

Pablo
07-09-2010, 12:39 AM
If you would loot a store then you are a piece of shit. If I were a store owner, I'd wait in my store for the first fucker to break in and then shoot the bastard.Then you'd catch a brick in the head from one of the other random 200 people and burn alive when they set your building on fire after robbing all of your merchandise.

But you be sure to stick it out and fight off the looters, John Wayne.

Goldmember
07-09-2010, 12:53 AM
Then you'd catch a brick in the head from one of the other random 200 people and burn alive when they set your building on fire after robbing all of your merchandise.

So you'd greet them with milk and cookies?

I hate low lifes like those looters and I'd take out as many as I could. These people are there just to take advantage of the situation. They could care less about Oscar Grant and the verdict.

Ugly Duck
07-09-2010, 12:57 AM
10:05 PM The crowd just broke into the Oakland Coin and Jewelry Exchange and raided the place, and police are actively moving in. Oaksterdam at 19th and Broadway had its windows broken. Police threw flash bang grenades and are moving in with bean bag guns. JC Jewelry at 19th and Broadway had its metal gate ripped off and there is shattered glass everywhere and all the case inside are broken. People are breaking into the Sears store at 20th and Broadway using the metal bats to break the display window, stripping the mannequins of their clothes. Mannequins were set on fire. More flash grenades went off. All of the windows along Telegraph in the Sears are smashed. They were trying to get through the door, but there are security gates behind it.

Pablo
07-09-2010, 12:59 AM
So you'd greet them with milk and cookies?

I hate low lifes like those looters and I'd take out as many as I could. These people are there just to take advantage of the situation. They could care less about Oscar Grant and the verdict.I'd stay far the fuck away from the situation so I didn't get killed over my precious merchandise.

That's just me though. I value my life more than seeing that a couple of looters get their "just deserts" before I was attacked by a crowd.

Ugly Duck
07-09-2010, 12:59 AM
10:45 p.m. More businesses hit by violence

Graffiti on an empty building on the corner of 22nd and Broadway says "Oakland is our amusement park tonight!" A man at 23rd and Valdez was arrested because he had a gun. Two banks have had their windows smashed at 21st and Broadway. At Ozumo, someone smashed a window and there are broken bottles around the restaurant. Police officers hurt. Garbage cans have been set afire at 19th Street and thrown down the stairs of the BART station there. Three Dumpsters are on fire on 19th Street, and they're being pulled out into the middle of the street by people wearing masks. Police have established a perimeter around the area and appear ready to move in on protesters.

http://msnbcmedia1.msn.com/j/MSNBC/Components/Photo/_new/100708-oaklandProtest-1016p.grid-8x2.jpg

Goldmember
07-09-2010, 01:03 AM
I'd stay far the fuck away from the situation so I didn't get killed over my precious merchandise.

That's just me though. I value my life more than seeing that a couple of looters get their "just deserts" before I was attacked by a crowd.

I'd think all you'd have to do is brandish a gun and that would make those chicken shit, scarf wearing assholes stay away from your store.

Chiefaholic
07-09-2010, 01:13 AM
Cock suckers just looking for a reason to steal somebody elses shit because their too damn lazy to get a job and actually EARN the merchandise. Hopefully some of them die in the fires they set.

Mojo Rising
07-09-2010, 01:56 AM
This seen wasnt much different than the chaos that was going on when the accident happened.

There was an unruly crowd that over matched the police force. The cop had a child the prior night, probably was tired. Was on a transit police force that was under funded and under trained. The kid made a mistake and grabbed the wrong defense weapon for himself.

Manslaughter is a travesty to justice. We rely on these servants to protect our safety. Sometimes when thugs like Grant (look up his record) do not obey their orders a mistake might happen. Memo to thugs. When a cop tells you to put your hands behind your back do it.

Ugly Duck
07-09-2010, 03:38 AM
"Sometimes when thugs like Grant (look up his record) do not obey their orders a mistake might happen." - Mojo Rising

Have some compassion, Mojo. These people are merely fighting for their right to beat people on the transit system without being hassled by the police.

http://imgs.sfgate.com/c/pictures/2010/07/08/ba-mehserle09_0501946301.jpg

http://imgs.sfgate.com/c/pictures/2010/07/08/ba-mehserle09_0501946344.jpg

http://imgs.sfgate.com/c/pictures/2010/07/08/ba-mehserle_0501946250.jpg

http://imgs.sfgate.com/c/pictures/2010/07/08/mn-mehserle09_PH_0501946198.jpg

btlook1
07-09-2010, 04:32 AM
Cock suckers just looking for a reason to steal somebody elses shit because their too damn lazy to get a job and actually EARN the merchandise. Hopefully some of them die in the fires they set.

What he said!!

crazycoffey
07-09-2010, 07:39 AM
This happening now or very recently?

Bwana
07-09-2010, 07:58 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/07/08/jury-reaches-verdict-case-transit-worker-charged-killing-calif-train-station/

OAKLAND, Calif.

Violent protests erupted in Oakland with stores damaged and dozens arrested after a Los Angeles jury convicted a white former transit officer of involuntary manslaughter in the fatal shooting of an unarmed black man.

Prosecutors had wanted Johannes Mehserle convicted of murdering Oscar Grant. So Thursday's lesser verdict raised concerns of a repeat of the rioting that followed the shooting on New Year's Day in 2009 on an Oakland train platform. The trial was moved to Los Angeles following the riots.

Police in riot gear Thursday had maintained a watchful eye over a crowd of protesters as emotions ran high with about 500 people marching in the street. Members of a crowd near City Hall moaned and cursed when they heard the verdict.

Sporadic violence later broke out and police said they made 83 arrests throughout the night for violations that included failure to disperse, vandalism and assaulting a police officer.

At least a dozen businesses were damaged, including a looted Foot Locker store and a ransacked jewelry store, police said. Protesters also smashed the windows of a bank, set fires in several trash bins, and detonated a small incendiary device near a police station that caused no damage.

"This city is not the wild, wild west," said Oakland Police Chief Anthony Batts. "This city will not tolerate this sort of activity."

Though police did not release a damage estimate, the protesting appeared to be much less severe than the rioting that hit Oakland after Grant was shot.

Even though the protests wound down late Thursday, Batts expected the number of arrests to double overnight.

During the trial, prosecutors said the 28-year-old Mehserle became angry at the 22-year-old Grant for resisting arrest. He was shot in the back while he lay face-down. Mehserle claims he mistakenly drew his gun instead of his Taser.

The jury had a choice between second-degree murder and lesser charges of voluntary and involuntary manslaughter. The jury found that Mehserle didn't mean to kill Grant, but that his behavior was still so negligent that it was criminal. Involuntary manslaughter convictions carry a sentence of two to four years.

During the trial, Wanda Johnson sat most days in the second row of a Los Angeles courtroom less than 30 feet from the man who killed her son. She hoped and prayed the justice system wouldn't fail her.

After the jury's finding, Johnson denounced the verdict and let loose emotions that had been mostly bottled up during the three-week trial.
"My son was murdered! He was murdered! He was murdered," she said outside the courthouse.

As Mehserle was placed in handcuffs and taken away, he turned to his family and mouthed, "I love you guys."

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger issued a statement urging Californians to remain calm and not resort to violence. Schwarzenegger said he had informed Oakland Mayor Ron Dellums the state was well prepared to assist in maintaining order.

The finding on use of a gun allegation could be used to add as much as 10 years to a prison sentence. The next hearing was set for Aug. 6. (uh-oh)

The jury included eight women and four men. None listed their race as black. Seven said they were white, three were Latino, and one was Asian-Pacific. One declined to state their race. They left the courthouse under tight security.

"As we have come to notice, and we as a family has been slapped in the face by a system that has denied us a right to true justice," said Cephus Johnson, Grant's uncle. "We truly do not blame the jury, but we blame the system."

At least five bystanders videotaped the incident in what was among the most racially polarizing cases in California since four Los Angeles officers were acquitted in 1992 in the beating of Rodney King.

The trial was moved from Alameda County to Los Angeles because of racial tension and extensive media coverage.

The case was a rare instance in which a police officer stood trial for an on-duty killing and that was captured on video from so many different angles.

Legal experts said the verdict shows the jury sympathized with Mehserle's version of events.

"It is legally as low as they could go without acquitting him," University of California, Berkeley, law school professor Erin Murphy said. Prosecutors had a "huge hurdle" to overcome in convincing a jury that an officer with a spotless record meant to kill, even with video of the killing, she said.

Mehserle testified that he struggled with Grant and saw him digging in his pocket as officers responded to reports of a fight at a train station.

Fearing Grant may have a weapon, Mehserle said he decided to shock Grant with his Taser but pulled his .40-caliber handgun instead.

Alameda County Deputy District Attorney David Stein said in his closing argument that Mehserle let his emotions get the better of him and intended to shoot Grant with the handgun without justification.

Defense attorney Michael Rains contended the shooting was a tragic accident. Mehserle had no motive to shoot Grant, even though he was resisting arrest, the lawyer argued.

Baconeater
07-09-2010, 08:13 AM
Calling these people 'protesters' is a friggin' stretch, they're nothing but a bunch of thugs looking for a reason to commit crimes.

Sully
07-09-2010, 08:21 AM
"I wasn't rioting, officer. I thought I grabbed my football to throw to my friend. Except I accidentally picked up a Molotov cocktail. And "my friend" turned out to be a Sears.

Lzen
07-09-2010, 08:46 AM
He should get general pop.

WTF? I thought all you libs were against the death penalty.

Lzen
07-09-2010, 08:50 AM

Looting a Foot Locker:

So, they feel the police got away with murder so they have the right to loot a Foot Locker? Scumbags.

InChiefsHell
07-09-2010, 08:53 AM
"I wasn't rioting, officer. I thought I grabbed my football to throw to my friend. Except I accidentally picked up a Molotov cocktail. And "my friend" turned out to be a Sears.

ROFL

Otter
07-09-2010, 09:19 AM
All I have to say is if the shit ever hits the fan, nationwide blackout, pandemic, anything; I'm off to a cabin in the woods in the middle of nowhere as far away from people as possible.

Said it before and I'll say it again; we're one layer above monkeys and the only reason we're calm is the same reason cats and dogs live together in some homes in harmony - because they're not fighting over resources.

Take that away or consequences of actions and anything and everything with a heartbeat on this blue marble will go ape shit.

Chief Henry
07-09-2010, 09:31 AM
If you would loot a store then you are a piece of shit. If I were a store owner, I'd wait in my store for the first ****er to break in and then shoot the bastard.

This times ONE MILLION. I'd be locked and loaded waiting for the first
person, white, yellow, black or purple.

Chief Henry
07-09-2010, 09:35 AM
Calling these people 'protesters' is a friggin' stretch, they're nothing but a bunch of thugs looking for a reason to commit crimes.

I wonder how many of these f'n thugs rioting have a job other than selling drugs and waiting for the monthly gov't S.Security check to come in for they're mutha or grandmutha !!!

Dicky McElephant
07-09-2010, 10:14 AM
Well....I guess I can't smell Oakland burning right now. So, everything turned out ok!

kepp
07-09-2010, 10:17 AM

Yep...these are the people who were planning on "rioting" whatever the verdict was. They just want some new shoes.

Chief Henry
07-09-2010, 10:27 AM
Yep...these are the people who were planning on "rioting" whatever the verdict was. They just want some new shoes and BLING.

fixed your post

Sweet Daddy Hate
07-09-2010, 11:37 AM
Well, I won't be the first fucker.

LMAO

Bob Dole
07-09-2010, 12:05 PM

Now, now. They aren't "thugs", they've simply advanced from "protesters" to "activists".

Ugly Duck
07-09-2010, 12:46 PM
It's OK, officer... I have a condom - look!

http://imgs.sfgate.com/c/pictures/2010/07/08/mn-mehserle09_PH_0501946198.jpg

BigOlChiefsfan
07-09-2010, 01:17 PM
It takes a village (idiot) (http://pajamasmedia.com/zombie/2010/07/08/leftist-groups-plan-a-riot-as-oakland-boards-up-downtown/)

Ugly Duck
07-09-2010, 06:43 PM
Now, now. They aren't "thugs", they've simply advanced from "protesters" to "activists".

Whoever they .... they weren't from Oakland....

"Oakland Police Chief Anthony Batts said three-fourths of those arrested on suspicion of such crimes as resisting arrest, burglary, vandalism and assaulting a police officer were from outside Oakland."

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/07/09/BAH61EBUBF.DTL&tsp=1#ixzz0tEQCLKKm

Dicky McElephant
07-09-2010, 06:45 PM
Whoever they .... they weren't from Oakland....

"Oakland Police Chief Anthony Batts said three-fourths of those arrested on suspicion of such crimes as resisting arrest, burglary, vandalism and assaulting a police officer were from outside Oakland."

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/07/09/BAH61EBUBF.DTL&tsp=1#ixzz0tEQCLKKm

I bet you $100 that they were all from Berkeley. Fucking hippies.

Ugly Duck
07-09-2010, 06:47 PM
I bet you $100 that they were all from Berkeley. ****ing hippies.

I was thinking maybe KC & Denver....

Bwana
07-09-2010, 07:46 PM
It takes a village (idiot) (http://pajamasmedia.com/zombie/2010/07/08/leftist-groups-plan-a-riot-as-oakland-boards-up-downtown/)

Wow :spock:

The cops should show up and light them up.

RedNeckRaider
07-09-2010, 09:20 PM
Wow :spock:

The cops should show up and light them up.

What is needed there is a whole bunch of cops that cannot tell the difference between tazers and guns. Heck I will run the front loader for free. Scoop em up and pile the in the drink when it is over. Fish need to eat too :evil:

jaa1025
07-09-2010, 09:50 PM
OK. I haven't read all the responses but I want to add my two cents.

I remember 2 years ago during tazer training that we we're told that we are required to carry the tazer on the opposite side of our gun because when your adrenaline is kicking in you could draw your weapon instead of your gun because of how much we train in drawing a gun. When your adrenaline is pumping, you lose fine motor skills and tend to do what your trained...over and over again. Its why we train in drawing our weapon so much so we can do it correctly without thinking in a tense situation.

It's hard for people to understand that haven't experienced the feeling, but I genuinely believe that the officer mistakenly drew his gun while meaning to draw his tazer. And while it looked like the officers had everything under control from the videos, it was a very tense situation.

To be charged with Murder, there has to be intent. There was no intent here and the jury concluded that with the charges. It looks bad...it looks TERRIBLE, but it's a believable mistake. A truly unfortunate mistake for the families and friends of the victim and the officer...and the business owners that got their shit looted. That being said, he does deserve the charge of manslaughter.

boogblaster
07-09-2010, 09:53 PM
but does anyone really care ...

Goldmember
07-10-2010, 04:53 PM
What it really comes down to, if the dumbass didn't resist the arrest he'd be alive today. Do what the cops tell you to do! They have guns, tazers, dogs and the law on their side!

Sweet Daddy Hate
07-11-2010, 07:25 PM
I was thinking maybe KC & Denver....

:shake: Yes, because we're known for STABBING PEOPLE AT OUR FUCKING GAMES?!?!

Garcia Bronco
07-11-2010, 07:41 PM
Did white folks riot when OJ got acquitted? No, white folks only riot when their team wins a national championship.

And in places like Morgantown, WV they call it a right of passage..

Garcia Bronco
07-11-2010, 07:43 PM
Protesters kick at an unmarked police car as it is chased out of the area of Broadway and 12th Street in downtown Oakland

http://imgs.sfgate.com/c/pictures/2010/07/08/ba-mehserle_092__0501945842.jpg

A woman is hit by an unmarked police vehicle near the corner of Broadway and 12th Street as groups gathered in downtown Oakland

http://imgs.sfgate.com/c/pictures/2010/07/08/ba-mehserle_071__0501945841.jpg

http://imgs.sfgate.com/c/pictures/2010/07/08/ba-mehserle09_0501945837.jpg

The girl laying down looks like she is faking. Maybe not, but she ain't hurt.

Garcia Bronco
07-11-2010, 07:44 PM
Then you'd catch a brick in the head from one of the other random 200 people and burn alive when they set your building on fire after robbing all of your merchandise.

If I had too, I would try with a nested m-60. They store would be toast either way.

Ugly Duck
07-11-2010, 07:58 PM
If I had too, I would try with a nested m-60. They store would be toast either way.

(Someone I know) usta duct-tape M-80s to arrows & shoot 'em way up over the neighborhoods - you should see the people come running out of their homes to see WTF? - hilarious! The rioters were throwing M-1000s at the police... are they like stronger M-80s?

Brock
07-11-2010, 08:00 PM
No, they're just a glorified firecracker. You have to go to indian reservations to get the good stuff.

Ugly Duck
07-11-2010, 08:03 PM
No, they're just a glorified firecracker. You have to go to indian reservations to get the good stuff.

Thanks, Brock... I kinda figured if they were legal they wouldn't measure up to an M-80... I guess the title is a bit of a misnomer. The gangs in SF Chinatown sell M-80s, but its kinda like a drug deal to get 'em.

Brock
07-13-2010, 09:25 AM
Suffer These Crimes in Oakland? Don't Call the Cops
Dozens of layoffs effective at midnight, barring last minute deal
By LORI PREUITT and KRIS SANCHEZ

Oakland's police chief is making some dire claims about what his force will and will not respond to if planned layoffs happen tonight at midnight.

Chief Anthony Batts listed exactly 44 situations that his officers no longer respond to and they include grand theft, burglary, vehicle collision, identity theft and vandalism. He says if you live and Oakland and one of the above happens to you, you need to let police know on-line.

Here's a partial list:

burglary
theft
embezzlement
grand theft
grand theft:dog
identity theft
false information to peace officer
required to register as sex or arson offender
dump waste or offensive matter
discard appliance with lock
loud music
possess forged notes
pass fictitious check
obtain money by false voucher
fraudulent use of access cards
stolen license plate
embezzlement by an employee (over $ 400)
extortion
attempted extortion
false personification of other
injure telephone/ power line
interfere with power line
unauthorized cable tv connection
vandalism
administer/expose poison to another's

Batts has only been chief since last October. "I came here to build an organization, not to downsize one," Batts said.

Some 80 officers will be let go at midnight if a last-minute deal is not reached. Negotiations are going on at Oakland City Hall today in the mayor's office. That is about a tenth of the force.

Batts said the 80 officers slated to be laid off - mostly new officers - are "pretty sad and pretty depressed," and those feelings are shared by the Police Department as a whole.

The Oakland City Council voted June 25 to eliminate the positions to help close the city's $32.5 million funding gap. According to the city of Oakland, each of the 776 police officers currently employed at OPD costs around $188,000 per year. Most of the officers who will be affected by the layoffs were on the streets of Oakland when Johannes Mehserle's involuntary manslaughter conviction caused riots last Thursday.

The sticking point in negotiations appears to be job security. The city council asked OPD officers to pay nine percent of their salary toward their pensions, which would save the city about $7.8 million toward a multi-million dollar deficit. The police union agreed, as long as the city could promise no layoffs for three years. No dice, says city council president Jane Brunner.

"We wish we could offer them a three-year no layoff protection we just can't financially.It would be irresponsible of us," Brunner told NBC Bay Area. The city agreed to a one-year moratorium on layoffs, but it is not enough for the union.

The problem is that in the last five years, the police budget -- along with the fire department budget -- have amount to 75 percent of the general fund. After years of largely sparing those departments the budget ax, now it appears there are few other places to cut.

These are the last hours of negotiation and Brunner is hopeful that the city and police will find some sort middle ground.

"It's been very good conversation and not a whole lot of grandstanding." Brunner said. "There's actually real conversations. Each side understands the problem," she said.

Over-Head
07-13-2010, 09:58 AM

Had to have been an accident, I mean after all Zach doesnt believe cops are faliable

Just had a cop sting me for $8500.
Cops are like any other person and just as faliable

Alright...well be sure to keep this post in your back pocket as a response if I ever try to tell you cops are not fallible.

It might be a while. Seeing as how it isn't something I believe.

So there ya go, dude must have done on purpose:D

BigOlChiefsfan
07-14-2010, 10:22 AM
The involuntary manslaughter verdict for Oscar Grant's killer may not be popular, but it is appropriate. (http://reason.com/archives/2010/07/12/justice-for-johannes-mehserle)

Ugly Duck
07-14-2010, 11:26 AM
The involuntary manslaughter verdict for Oscar Grant's killer may not be popular, but it is appropriate. (http://reason.com/archives/2010/07/12/justice-for-johannes-mehserle)

Racist!

Sweet Daddy Hate
07-14-2010, 12:20 PM
Is Oakland dead yet? Kill it with fire.

Dicky McElephant
06-09-2011, 03:41 PM
How long before they find this guy dead?

http://www.thereporter.com/wirenews/ci_18237383

Ex-BART officer set to be freed Monday-- Oakland Tribune
Posted: 06/09/2011 05:27:22 AM PDT

Former BART police Officer Johannes Mehserle will be released from jail Monday and Oscar Grant III's family and supporters will be in Los Angeles over the weekend for several events leading up to his release, a family spokesman said.

Mehserle, 29, was convicted in July of involuntary manslaughter in the killing of Grant, a Hayward resident, on the Fruitvale BART station platform Jan. 1, 2009. He was sentenced to two years at Los Angeles County Men's Central Jail.

Cephus Johnson, Grant's uncle and a family spokesman, said the family was first told by state officials that Mehserle would be released Sunday, but then the date changed to Monday. Under law, the family of a crime victim must be notified when the perpetrator is released. Johnson said he worries that Mehserle will be allowed out of jail without attending a final court hearing.

"We are disappointed," he said, adding that the family also has not gotten firm information about the exact time of the release.

Both a federal civil suit and an appeal of Mehserle's conviction remain active in the courts.

Rausch
06-09-2011, 03:48 PM
I don't think this is the type of release you should be getting worked up for in Cali.

IIRC 6 convicted murderers are released each day in Cali.

Every fucking day.

I want arguments for how many of them should even be allowed to live...

Just Passin' By
06-09-2011, 04:00 PM
It's disappointing to see that Oakland is still standing.