PDA

View Full Version : Economics NJ Gov. Christie might privatize public services to save money. OH THE HUMANITY!

healthpellets
07-09-2010, 12:57 PM
Looks like Gov. Christie might have a little libertarian streak running through him. Good for him, and GREAT for New Jersey.

http://www.northjersey.com/news/politics/070910_Christie_looks_to_privatize_motor_vehicle_inspections.html

Text of story removed to abide by copyright standards and to avoid the assholes at RightHaven, LLC

Brock
07-09-2010, 01:04 PM
They could probably save a lot more by just getting rid of emissions testing altogether.

healthpellets
07-09-2010, 01:06 PM
They could probably save a lot more by just getting rid of emissions testing altogether.

you don't like breathing without a respirator?

Brock
07-09-2010, 01:16 PM

Ha ha, yeah. Because the 99 percent of the cars out there that are running OBD-II pass inspection with flying colors, but by all means let's spend hundreds of millions of dollars going after the 1% of cars that won't pass (and not test cars that are over 25 years old at all).

Taco John
07-09-2010, 01:22 PM

Over here, if you fail emissions, you simply have to do $150 worth of work on your car and if it fails, they still pass you. That's a great gig if you own a car shop. Not such a great gig if you're forced between deciding between groceries or jumping through a government hoop.

Suck it poor people!

Taco John
07-09-2010, 01:26 PM
I wonder if Christie has presidential aspirations?

talastan
07-09-2010, 01:33 PM

It would make for an interesting GOP primary. I just want to see how he handles NJ first.

RJ
07-09-2010, 01:49 PM
Ha ha, yeah. Because the 99 percent of the cars out there that are running OBD-II pass inspection with flying colors, but by all means let's spend hundreds of millions of dollars going after the 1% of cars that won't pass (and not test cars that are over 25 years old at all).

Yeah, I'm all for breathing clean air but the rules for auto emissions testing have never made sense to me in any place I've lived.

healthpellets
07-09-2010, 01:52 PM

i hope so. not until 2016 i hope. then again, if things continue as they are, maybe the country will boot the Big O. but i just can't see it happening.

Amnorix
07-09-2010, 02:07 PM
Not sure what kind of whacky states you guys are in.

In Massachusetts there is an annual inspection of the vehicle, which includes emissions but also various safety features (blinkers, lights, horn, etc.). The cost is nominal. If you can't pass on emissions, then no sticker. No sticker no drive.

The system is pretty simple, relatively inexpensive, and certainly worth the effort. Testing is performed by private garages so there are plenty of options so no absurdly long lines.

Taco John
07-09-2010, 02:14 PM

In Massachusetts there is an annual inspection of the vehicle, which includes emissions but also various safety features (blinkers, lights, horn, etc.). The cost is nominal. If you can't pass on emissions, then no sticker. No sticker no drive.

The system is pretty simple, relatively inexpensive, and certainly worth the effort. Testing is performed by private garages so there are plenty of options so no absurdly long lines.

I live in Washington State. But I think the $150 waiver (http://www.ehow.com/how_6192267_waiver-car-inspection-pennsylvania.html) is more common than you think.

They really kill the poor in Massachusetts though... Heartless bastards. Check this out:

Your Vehicle May Be Eligible for a Waiver if:

You have spent at least the following on emissions repair costs (including labor and materials):
*$790 for a vehicle five model years old or newer
*$690 for a vehicle six to ten model years old
*$590 for a vehicle more than ten model years old

http://www.vehicletest.state.ma.us/motorist_whatiffail.html

Glad that the liberals in my state aren't such vampires that they force the poor to spend over a months worth of groceries before they are granted the opportunity to slide by. A weeks worth is enough.

Brock
07-09-2010, 02:18 PM

Well, I live in a state where we don't have a 210 million dollar program we're trying to scrape up the money for. The fact you think this is worth the effort even though New Jersey hasn't passed EPA clean air standards since they were put into place 20 years ago makes me wonder whether you're really being objective about Massachusetts.

BucEyedPea
07-09-2010, 03:17 PM
It would make for an interesting GOP primary. I just want to see how he handles NJ first.

Hell yeah! I'd love to see him make a go of it.

BucEyedPea
07-09-2010, 03:17 PM
Well, I live in a state where we don't have a 210 million dollar program we're trying to scrape up the money for. The fact you think this is worth the effort even though New Jersey hasn't passed EPA clean air standards since they were put into place 20 years ago makes me wonder whether you're really being objective about Massachusetts.

No one who remains in Mass is capable of seeing outside of the statist pov.

stevieray
07-09-2010, 05:50 PM
They could probably save a lot more by just getting rid of emissions testing altogether....there's a shortage of clean air.

petegz28
07-09-2010, 06:26 PM

Mo used to require an annual inspection to get your tags renewed. Now they changed it to every 2 years. They are performed at most gas stations that have a mechanic and the driver pays for it.

Stinger
07-09-2010, 07:04 PM
Mo used to require an annual inspection to get your tags renewed. Now they changed it to every 2 years. They are performed at most gas stations that have a mechanic and the driver pays for it.

Little more info ..... The Mechanic has to be certified by the state to preform the inspection, so not all gas stations due it. Cost of inspection is about $14 I believe, if you fail you I believe you have have 21 days to get what ever needs fix. Bring it back to the garage with your original inspection and no charge for the re-inspection with in those 21 days.

Bill Parcells
07-09-2010, 08:10 PM

NJ has the most cars per capita than any other state in the country ;) thats why auto insurance is crazy expensive here. lol..Christie is a smart guy. I like him.

notorious
07-09-2010, 09:53 PM
...there's a shortage of clean air.

Definately not a shortage of hot air! :)