PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports Cliff Lee situation

KCrockaholic
07-09-2010, 01:17 PM
So Cliff Lee is pitching against the Yankees tonight as a Mariner.

The Yanks are extremely close to acquiring Lee from the Mariners, possibly sometime within the next 2-3 days.

If you are Cliff Lee, what do you do? Do you "throw" the game, and sneakily allow the Yanks to win the game, knowing it will help your future team in the long run?

Or do you play to the best of your abilities and possibly beat the Yanks, which could in the long run hurt their chances of winning the AL East, considering how tight of a race that division always is?

CaliforniaChief
07-09-2010, 01:18 PM
No brainer. You do your best for your current employer.

RJ
07-09-2010, 01:19 PM
I'd bet on the deal being completed before game time tonight.

-King-
Don't baseball trades sometimes take affect midgame? What do they do? Pull him out and take him to the other dugout?

seclark
tear a rotator cuff and f@ck it all up for everyone.
sec

Bane
He pitches his ass off as normal like a real professional would do.:shake:

Mr. Flopnuts
07-09-2010, 01:22 PM
What a great deal the Mariners are getting for a 4 month rental. Lee was never going to re-sign with them anyways, so get what you can now. Hopefully we can contend again in 2018.

Reaper16
07-09-2010, 01:23 PM
Buster Olney is saying that the Yankees are telling the Mariners that the trade needs to happen before gametime or it won't happen at all.

RJ
07-09-2010, 01:25 PM
What a great deal the Mariners are getting for a 4 month rental. Lee was never going to re-sign with them anyways, so get what you can now. Hopefully we can contend again in 2018.

I'm surprised that the Yankees are (allegedly) going to part with prospects for him. They could probably not do the trade, still win the WS and sign Lee this winter.

M's will get a helluva prospect in Jesus Montero if the rumors are true.

RJ
07-09-2010, 01:26 PM
From Rotoworld:

Michael Pineda could be called up to make his major league debut in place of Cliff Lee against the Yankees on Friday.

The 21-year-old Pineda was slated to start for Triple-A Tacoma tonight, but he's no longer listed as the probable.
Source: Ed Price on Twitter

Bane
07-09-2010, 01:26 PM
Buster Olney is saying that the Yankees are telling the Mariners that the trade needs to happen before gametime or it won't happen at all.

Damn! He can just wait till game time to switch sides then.LMAO

SDChiefs
07-09-2010, 01:28 PM
Im a Mariner fan so if Im Lee I pitch a perfect game.

Mr. Flopnuts
07-09-2010, 01:28 PM

Then I hope the M's are smart and get it done. As RJ said right below your post, Montero is a HUGE get for Lee. Huge!

Get the fuck on it Nintendo!!!

Mr. Flopnuts
07-09-2010, 01:29 PM
Im a Mariner fan so if Im Lee I pitch a perfect game.

Well that's fuckin' rep worthy. Go M's!!!!!!!

In 2018 anyways..............

Reaper16
07-09-2010, 01:29 PM
Im a Mariner fan
How'd that getting-swept-by-the-Royals thing feel?

Mr. Flopnuts
07-09-2010, 01:33 PM

A complete, and utter embarrassment. How does it feel knowing other teams are literally embarrassed when your team sweeps them?

Reaper16
07-09-2010, 01:36 PM
A complete, and utter embarrassment. How does it feel knowing other teams are literally embarrassed when your team sweeps them?
Feels like fucking Victory.

Mr. Flopnuts
07-09-2010, 01:41 PM
Feels like fucking Victory.

I am defeat.

SDChiefs
07-09-2010, 01:44 PM

Im a Mariners and Chiefs fan, I am devoid of any feeling.

DeezNutz
07-09-2010, 01:45 PM

Dan Flopnuts Gilbert. LMAO. You so silly.

Ebolapox
07-09-2010, 01:56 PM
I am defeat.

son, I am disappoint.

Pestilence
07-09-2010, 01:58 PM
son, I am disappoint.

milkman has a mult?

RJ
07-09-2010, 02:07 PM
On the other hand.....again from Rotoworld:

Joel Sherman of the New York Post reports that the "Mariners are backing off" the Yankees' offer for Cliff Lee and that it doesn't look like the "Yankees are in it."

Shocking if true, since it seemed like a done deal all afternoon. The Mariners were believed to be receiving Jesus Montero, David Adams and Zach McAllister for Lee. Sherman says the Mariners were concerned about Adams' ankle and that another team has stepped up with a big offer.
Source: Joel Sherman on Twitter
Related: Yankees

DA_T_84
07-09-2010, 02:14 PM
You host an hour long show on ESPN to announce that you are actually taking your talents to the Marlins.

Pestilence
07-09-2010, 02:16 PM
On the other hand.....again from Rotoworld:

Joel Sherman of the New York Post reports that the "Mariners are backing off" the Yankees' offer for Cliff Lee and that it doesn't look like the "Yankees are in it."

Shocking if true, since it seemed like a done deal all afternoon. The Mariners were believed to be receiving Jesus Montero, David Adams and Zach McAllister for Lee. Sherman says the Mariners were concerned about Adams' ankle and that another team has stepped up with a big offer.
Source: Joel Sherman on Twitter
Related: Yankees

I'd say it's the Dodgers.....but they aren't going to do shit while our owner is in the middle of a divorce.

RJ
07-09-2010, 02:19 PM
I'd say it's the Dodgers.....but they aren't going to do shit while our owner is in the middle of a divorce.

I just can't see which team is going to make an offer that trumps Montero. He was the #4 ranked prospect this year by Baseball America, he's on 20 years old and he's a catcher. Some people think he might not play good enough defense to remain a catcher but his bat should play just fine.

CaliforniaChief
07-09-2010, 02:25 PM
It's the Miami Heat.

Mr. Flopnuts
07-09-2010, 02:25 PM
I just fucking found out that Cliff Lee was willing to re-sign with the Mariners before the season started and they FUCKING TURNED HIM DOWN!!!!

FUCK YOU NINTENDO!!!!

CaliforniaChief
07-09-2010, 02:28 PM
I just fucking found out that Cliff Lee was willing to re-sign with the Mariners before the season started and they FUCKING TURNED HIM DOWN!!!!

FUCK YOU NINTENDO!!!!

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FNzmJa75Zq4&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FNzmJa75Zq4&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

RJ
07-09-2010, 02:31 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

3:24pm: An official of an uninvolved team tells Ed Price of AOL FanHouse that the Rangers are now willing to include Justin Smoak in a trade for Lee (Twitter link).

3:17pm: The Rangers are one of a few teams jumping back into the trade talks, according to Jon Heyman of SI.com (via Twitter).

3:07pm: The Rangers are working 'really hard' to acquire Lee, according to Joel Sherman of the New York Post (via Twitter). Former Rangers scout Frankie Piliere of AOL FanHouse confirms that the Rangers are making a major push to acquire Lee (Twitter link).

2:57pm: The Mariners didn't accept the Yankees' offer of Montero, Adams and a third prospect, so the Yankees may walk away from the discussions, according to Jon Heyman of SI.com (via Twitter). A Yankees official told Jack Curry of the YES Network that the Bronx Bombers aren't getting Lee (Twitter link).

2:44pm: The Mariners are backing off, according to Sherman. The Yankees believe they are no longer in the Lee sweepstakes, as the M's have gone in another direction (all Twitter links). Sherman says 'the Yankees aren't getting Cliff Lee,' since another team has entered discussions aggressively.

Mr. Flopnuts
07-09-2010, 02:59 PM
Joel Sherman of The New York Post is reporting Lee has been officially traded to the Rangers for Justin Smoak and other prospects.

RJ
07-09-2010, 03:01 PM
3:57pm: The Rangers will acquire Lee and Mark Lowe for Justin Smoak and three others, according to Sherman (via Twitter).

3:41pm: The Mariners had concerns about Adams' health and talks broke down from there, according to Olney (via Twitter). Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News points out that Smoak is not in the Rangers' lineup tonight (Twitter link).

RJ
07-09-2010, 03:03 PM
Smoak a great get for the M's if true. I don't personally see him as a big HR hitter but I could see him ending up a Youkilis type - high OBP and good avg with decent power.

Pestilence
07-09-2010, 03:03 PM
Joel Sherman of The New York Post is reporting Lee has been officially traded to the Rangers for Justin Smoak and other prospects.

Clay just JIHP.

CaliforniaChief
07-09-2010, 03:04 PM
Clay just JIHP.

And the Angels' hole gets a little deeper. :clap:

Ebolapox
07-09-2010, 03:08 PM
milkman has a mult?

fuck you. (/sure why not)

SDChiefs
07-09-2010, 03:09 PM
I just ****ing found out that Cliff Lee was willing to re-sign with the Mariners before the season started and they ****ING TURNED HIM DOWN!!!!

**** YOU NINTENDO!!!!

Hes not from Japan. Haven't you noticed. All our great players we have had they let walk but resign Kaz to a ludicrous contract.

SDChiefs
07-09-2010, 03:12 PM
I don't know prospects at all, so which is the better trade/prospects?

Goldmember
07-09-2010, 03:20 PM
Don't baseball trades sometimes take affect midgame? What do they do? Pull him out and take him to the other dugout?

It's happened before but I don't recall the teams.

RJ
07-09-2010, 03:23 PM
I don't know prospects at all, so which is the better trade/prospects?

They haven't announced the entire deal yet, this is the most recent I can find.

4:20pm: The Mariners will acquire two pitchers and a position player, plus Smoak, according to Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports (via Twitter).

Reaper16
07-09-2010, 03:23 PM
This should help keep GoChiefs on the Rangers bandwagon.

DeezNutz
07-09-2010, 03:26 PM
Smoak should always be in view b/c of the Hosmer selection. Rany advocated strongly for the former on the day of the draft.

FYI.

RJ
07-09-2010, 03:33 PM
The other players beside Smoak are pretty unimpressive, especially considering the M's are also giving up Mark Lowe. Personally, I think they should have taken the Yankees offer if the reports were accurate.

Rotoworld:

Along with Justin Smoak, the Mariners will reportedly acquire RHP Blake Beavan, RHP Josh Lueke and 2B Matt Lawson from the Rangers for Cliff Lee and Mark Lowe.

That's not so bad for Texas. Smoak is a big loss, but they'll hold on to the rest of their top prospects in the deal. Beaven has a chance to be a part of a major league rotation, but Lueke is just a relief prospect and Lawson is a long shot to enjoy a career as a major league infielder. The trade is set to be announced at 6 p.m. EDT.
Source: LongStarDugout on Twitter
Related: Justin Smoak, Rangers

Mr. Flopnuts
07-09-2010, 03:34 PM
I'm surprised Texas is willing to do this. They only decided to include Smoak after rumors of Lee going to the Yankees. Once they did Seattle jumped, they wanted him all along.

SDChiefs
07-09-2010, 03:45 PM
I'm surprised Texas is willing to do this. They only decided to include Smoak after rumors of Lee going to the Yankees. Once they did Seattle jumped, they wanted him all along.

So Smoak is the better prospect?

Buck
07-09-2010, 03:47 PM
Crazy. Inter Division Trade? How long is Lee's deal?

RJ
07-09-2010, 03:49 PM
So Smoak is the better prospect?

I think they're comparable prospects with maybe a slight edge to Montero because he's a catcher. If you're an M's fan you can't complain about either one. It's not like Lee was sticking around.

RJ
07-09-2010, 03:50 PM

He's a FA after the season. This a rental for the Rangers.

Mr. Flopnuts

Lee is a free agent after the season.

I'm torn on it. I don't care who Lee goes to, but I'd agree with RJ that Montero was preferable just because he's a catcher. That said, Smoak is another big get for the M's. Considering who they gave up for Lee in the first place, they've actually turned a profit on the deal. A pretty considerable one too.

SDChiefs
I think they're comparable prospects with maybe a slight edge to Montero because he's a catcher. If you're an M's fan you can't complain about either one. It's not like Lee was sticking around.

Cool. Thanks.

Mecca
07-09-2010, 03:54 PM
Lee is a free agent after the season.

I'm torn on it. I don't care who Lee goes to, but I'd agree with RJ that Montero was preferable just because he's a catcher. That said, Smoak is another big get for the M's. Considering who they gave up for Lee in the first place, they've actually turned a profit on the deal. A pretty considerable one too.

Montero isn't going to end up as a catcher, his defense is worse than Will Myers, he's a DH or a 1st baseman, he hits that's it.

Mr. Flopnuts
07-09-2010, 03:54 PM

He would've re-signed before the season started, heard it straight from his mouth on a podcast about an hour ago. He wanted the control of free agency, but quickly realized he liked Seattle and wanted to be here. I'm pissed about that.

Mr. Laz
07-09-2010, 03:55 PM
that POS Guillen gets hurt right before we might of been able to get something for him.

he can't even help us by leaving :cuss:

Mr. Flopnuts
07-09-2010, 03:56 PM
Lee has confirmed the trade by text.

Sure-Oz
07-09-2010, 03:57 PM
I just grabbed Smoak for my fantasy team, i need 1b help...

RJ
07-09-2010, 04:01 PM
I just grabbed Smoak for my fantasy team, i need 1b help...

He's not hitting worth a damn and going to Seattle won't help that.

Sure-Oz
07-09-2010, 04:03 PM
He's not hitting worth a damn and going to Seattle won't help that.

I'll probably cut him anyway when volquez comes back off the DL....i also had laporta, but cut him. bench sucks lol

RJ
07-09-2010, 04:03 PM
Montero isn't going to end up as a catcher, his defense is worse than Will Myers, he's a DH or a 1st baseman, he hits that's it.

I don't know, they say he's made a lot of progress this season, which may related to his slow start at the plate. But in general you're right, the best hitting catchers don't stay behind the plate.

DJ's left nut
07-09-2010, 04:10 PM
I think I'd prefer Smoak as well.

Montero won't stick behind the dish and even if he could, if he hits like he's capable of you probably don't want him there.

Smoak is a premier defensive 1b and a switch hitter with a very projectable frame and swing. Further, in that ballpark, a guy like Youk would be just as good as a guy like Howard. In a cavernous stadium, the doubles hitter with high contact rates is a better bet.

Good deal for the M's, they got a hell of a lot more than they gave.

Sure-Oz
07-09-2010, 05:59 PM
Well i picked up Chris Davis and cut Smoak, he wasnt doing great in a good lineup. im sure he'll do well later though. davis been hitting .350 in aaa

Count Zarth
07-09-2010, 06:18 PM
WOOHOO!!!

I am fucking thrilled. The Rangers' staff looks really great now.

TO THE PLAYOFFS!

Count Zarth
07-09-2010, 06:20 PM
I don't mind this trade at all, because even if Smoak turns out to be a good power hitter, the Rangers have another one, Chris Davis, who, you know, has actually done something at the major league level.

RJ
07-09-2010, 09:07 PM
I don't mind this trade at all, because even if Smoak turns out to be a good power hitter, the Rangers have another one, Chris Davis, who, you know, has actually done something at the major league level.

Chris Davis is a very good hitter when he doesn't strike out.

Frazod
07-09-2010, 09:10 PM
So Cliff Lee is pitching against the Yankees tonight as a Mariner.

The Yanks are extremely close to acquiring Lee from the Mariners, possibly sometime within the next 2-3 days.

If you are Cliff Lee, what do you do? Do you "throw" the game, and sneakily allow the Yanks to win the game, knowing it will help your future team in the long run?

Or do you play to the best of your abilities and possibly beat the Yanks, which could in the long run hurt their chances of winning the AL East, considering how tight of a race that division always is?

In other news, Missouri is joining the Big 10 and LeBron James looks great in a Bulls jersey. :D

RJ
07-09-2010, 09:12 PM
Well i picked up Chris Davis and cut Smoak, he wasnt doing great in a good lineup. im sure he'll do well later though. davis been hitting .350 in aaa

From a fantasy perspective, Smoak just went from a great lineup and a good park for hitters to a lousy lineup and a terrible park for hitters. Yeah, I'd rather have Davis right now.

Buck
07-09-2010, 09:14 PM

No, they don't happen mid game.

Count Zarth
07-09-2010, 09:21 PM
Chris Davis is a very good hitter when he doesn't strike out.

Are you a Rangers fan?

Just heard on the radio that Davis is going to be the first baseman now.

RJ
07-09-2010, 09:27 PM
Are you a Rangers fan?

Just heard on the radio that Davis is going to be the first baseman now.

No, but I do follow baseball pretty closely.

Davis has a ton of power and can have a nice career if he can cut down on the K's. He was tearing up Triple A so maybe he's back to his 2008 self.

Halfcan
07-09-2010, 09:29 PM

yep the royals have a few players like that

Count Zarth
07-10-2010, 02:07 PM
Lee starting tonight for the Rangers.

Reaper16
07-10-2010, 02:33 PM
Lee starting tonight for the Rangers.
Enjoy him. He's sort of incredible.

Buck
07-10-2010, 02:33 PM
Just curious, what is Lee's record against the Rangers this year?

Miles
07-10-2010, 02:34 PM
Just curious, what is Lee's record against the Rangers this year?

1-0 in 2 starts.

Buck
07-10-2010, 02:36 PM
1-0 in 2 starts.

Cool thanks.

Count Zarth
07-10-2010, 06:08 PM
Michael Young being honored as the all-time hits leader in franchise history tonight. Pretty cool. I haven't watched a ton of baseball but he's just about the most consistent hitter I've ever seen. Every year, .300-.320, 20 HR, 70-100 RBI, 40 2B, 40 BB, 10 SB or so. He's played on some shitty teams and been awesome. Played 2B, SS and 3B and high levels.

Miles
07-10-2010, 06:15 PM
Michael Young being honored as the all-time hits leader in franchise history tonight. Pretty cool. I haven't watched a ton of baseball but he's just about the most consistent hitter I've ever seen. Every year, .300-.320, 20 HR, 70-100 RBI, 10 SB or so. He's played on some shitty teams and been awesome. Played 2B, SS and 3B and high levels.

He apparently is not a fan of taking a walk and isn't much on defense despite the gold glove he won for hitting well two years ago for his offensive game. That being said the guy can seriously hit.

Count Zarth
07-10-2010, 06:18 PM
He's an excellent fielder. I've seen him make spectacular defensive plays.

Count Zarth
07-10-2010, 06:27 PM
LOL, and Cliff Lee gives up two singles and a run on 2 pitches.

Welcome to Rangers baseball.

Count Zarth
07-10-2010, 07:44 PM
Cliff Lee sucks balls.

Count Zarth
07-10-2010, 08:35 PM
What a strange game. Cliff Lee pitches a complete game and throws fewer than 100 pitches, but gives up six runs.

tk13
07-10-2010, 08:40 PM
Well he definitely went from a pitcher's park to a hitter's park. But that didn't bother him in Philly.

RJ
07-10-2010, 09:02 PM
What a strange game. Cliff Lee pitches a complete game and throws fewer than 100 pitches, but gives up six runs.

I'll be damned. I own the Orioles pitcher (Tillman) in 2 fantasy leagues but I benched him in both going up against the Rangers and Lee on the road. And of course he gives up 2 hits in 7+ innings and gets the W.

chefsos
07-10-2010, 10:20 PM
I'll be damned. I own the Orioles pitcher (Tillman) in 2 fantasy leagues but I benched him in both going up against the Rangers and Lee on the road. And of course he gives up 2 hits in 7+ innings and gets the W.Keep f*cking doubting Chris Tillman...

RJ
07-10-2010, 10:30 PM
Keep f*cking doubting Chris Tillman...

Exactly.

chefsos
07-10-2010, 10:36 PM
Exactly.This is the O's first road series win since, it seems like, 2007. Shocking.

Count Zarth
07-17-2010, 07:36 PM
Lee with another complete game, and was 1 out away from beating the Sox 2-1.

2-2 to the 10th. 99 pitches for Lee.

MIAdragon
07-17-2010, 07:43 PM

Not his fault, that's what you have a closer for. The guy is nails, Im sure he'll enjoy pitching in the Bronx next year.

Buck
07-17-2010, 07:43 PM

Is he still pitching?

MIAdragon
07-17-2010, 07:44 PM
Is he still pitching?

nope

Count Zarth
07-17-2010, 07:49 PM
Not his fault, that's what you have a closer for. The guy is nails, Im sure he'll enjoy pitching in the Bronx next year.

Well he probably wanted to finish the game, and he blew it. He threw a fat pitch to Youkilis.

When a guy is throwing that well and has only 90 pitches you leave him in there for the 9th.

Count Zarth
07-22-2010, 08:18 PM
Pretty good start for Lee tonight. 7 IP, 5 H, 2 ER, 88 pitches. Might go another inning. Needed him tonight against Jared Weaver for sure.

Count Zarth
07-22-2010, 08:28 PM
8 innings in the book, 98 pitches. Absolute stud.

Taco John
07-22-2010, 08:34 PM
I wish we could have kept the guy. He's Mr. Baseball.

Count Zarth
07-22-2010, 08:41 PM
Lee coming out to finish the game.

Count Zarth
07-22-2010, 08:45 PM
Lee goes 8 1/3

Ron Washington didn't like the look of the line drive out that was just hit I guess.

Still awesome.

chefsos
07-22-2010, 08:48 PM
Hey GoChiefs, you think Mark Cuban ought to buy the Rangers?

Short Leash Hootie
07-22-2010, 08:48 PM
Lee goes 8 1/3

Ron Washington didn't like the look of the line drive out that was just hit I guess.

Still awesome.

and if Feliz or Francisco close it out I get a great start for my fantasy team, a win, and a save!

Count Zarth
07-22-2010, 08:49 PM
Hey GoChiefs, you think Mark Cuban ought to buy the Rangers?

Yes, it would be a dream come true.

Never happen.

Count Zarth
07-22-2010, 08:52 PM
Great win. F the Angels.

Count Zarth
07-27-2010, 07:38 PM
5 innings and only 2 hits tonight.

Count Zarth
07-27-2010, 08:16 PM
10 strikeouts....gawd

Count Zarth
07-27-2010, 08:18 PM
11ks

jesus

Count Zarth
07-27-2010, 08:20 PM
8 IP, 4H, 0BB, 12k, 1R, 0 ER

gawd

Count Zarth
07-27-2010, 08:37 PM
Another complete game, 13 strikeouts.

Short Leash Hootie
07-27-2010, 09:31 PM
Another complete game, 13 strikeouts.

you mean another 9 inning start

KCrockaholic
07-27-2010, 09:45 PM
Well now that this thread has been blessed by "Gawd" and "jesus" we now know that Cliff Lee is awesome.

Count Zarth
10-06-2010, 12:50 PM
Five strikeouts in his first two postseason innings of work.

What a stud.

Count Zarth
10-06-2010, 01:04 PM
7ks in 4 innings.