PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV Edward Norton out as Hulk in Marvels "Avengers" movie

Deberg_1990
07-10-2010, 05:41 PM
Well that sucks....

Hopefully it doesnt just turn into Iron Man 3

http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/2008-12-6-motion-captured/posts/exclusive-marvel-confirms-they-will-hire-new-hulk-for-avengers

"We have made the decision to not bring Ed Norton back to portray the title role of Bruce Banner in the Avengers. Our decision is definitely not one based on monetary factors, but instead rooted in the need for an actor who embodies the creativity and collaborative spirit of our other talented cast members. The Avengers demands players who thrive working as part of an ensemble, as evidenced by Robert, Chris H, Chris E, Sam, Scarlett, and all of our talented casts. We are looking to announce a name actor who fulfills these requirements, and is passionate about the iconic role in the coming weeks."

Kraus
07-10-2010, 05:52 PM
Well that sucks.

pr_capone
07-10-2010, 05:54 PM
queue Eric Bana reprising the role

/hurl

Deberg_1990
07-10-2010, 05:54 PM
They mention its not based on monetary factors......yea right.

Miles
07-10-2010, 06:02 PM
Well that sucks....

http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/2008-12-6-motion-captured/posts/exclusive-marvel-confirms-they-will-hire-new-hulk-for-avengers

"We have made the decision to not bring Ed Norton back to portray the title role of Bruce Banner in the Avengers. Our decision is definitely not one based on monetary factors, but instead rooted in the need for an actor who embodies the creativity and collaborative spirit of our other talented cast members. The Avengers demands players who thrive working as part of an ensemble, as evidenced by Robert, Chris H, Chris E, Sam, Scarlett, and all of our talented casts. We are looking to announce a name actor who fulfills these requirements, and is passionate about the iconic role in the coming weeks."

Yeah one of the better mainstream actors around that has shown in the past that he has no problem being out of the center of attention is really a bad fit.

Valiant
07-10-2010, 06:11 PM
They mention its not based on monetary factors......yea right.

Actually I think he is still pissed with what they did to the last movie and wanted to make sure it did not happen again..

And I have also read that they are just going to have the character in Hulk form for the entire movie anyway..

But imo, there is no way to do a good avengers movie unless it is 100% all cgi with those characters..

Brock
07-10-2010, 06:16 PM
Not likely to be good anyway.

Halfcan
07-11-2010, 12:44 AM
sorry but the comic book movies are getting pretty dumb its like watching a video game

Guru
07-11-2010, 02:19 AM
Comic book movies need to stay with one hero and one villain. I am getting sick of this multiple crap.

Miles
07-11-2010, 02:38 AM
Am I the only one that finds Hulk extremely lame?

Halfcan
07-11-2010, 02:46 AM

the TV show was pretty good-but I was a kid

The_Doctor10
07-11-2010, 02:51 AM
Well that sucks....

They do realize they fired Edward Norton and not Megan Fox, right?

The_Doctor10
07-11-2010, 02:53 AM

He is lame; he's a boring character. Banner is interesting in a sense, but Hulk is just a big angry fucker who breaks shit. He doesn't retain any real humanity, so it's just 'don't get me angry'. And he's indestructible for no real reason. Just being irradiated shouldn't make you impervious to missiles, it should make you sterile.

All in all, no you're not. Which is why the actor playing Banner has to be SO good, and the part has to be so well-written. Otherwise it's just utter bollocks.

Red Brooklyn
07-11-2010, 09:27 AM
"We have made the decision to not bring Ed Norton back to portray the title role of Bruce Banner in the Avengers. Our decision is definitely not one based on monetary factors, but instead rooted in the need for an actor who embodies the creativity and collaborative spirit of our other talented cast members. The Avengers demands players who thrive working as part of an ensemble, as evidenced by Robert, Chris H, Chris E, Sam, Scarlett, and all of our talented casts."
That's obscene. And an extreme slap in the face to Norton. I've read that he's a perfectionist and sometimes that makes him a little difficult on set, but really?! Edward Norton doesn't embody the "creativity and collaborative spirit" of the other "talented" cast members? I'd argue he's the most "creative" and "talented" one of the bunch. And, frankly, Norton was right about everything he said regarding The Incredible Hulk.

Marvel's been walking a fine line. I was so excited for them in the beginning. Now I have my doubts that they have any real idea what they're doing. It's petty and childish, but I kinda hope The Avengers movie fails. And I hope the WORST part of the whole thing is whomever they get to "replace" Edward Norton.

Deberg_1990
07-11-2010, 09:48 AM
Another reason they might have dumped him is because they dont intend for Banner to be in the movie all that much. Hulk will get more screentime than Banner.

They might have figured they didnt want to pay him if Banner was only in the movie for 5 minutes.

Red Brooklyn
07-11-2010, 10:02 AM
Another reason they might have dumped him is because they dont intend for Banner to be in the movie all that much. Hulk will get more screentime than Banner.

They might have figured they didnt want to pay him if Banner was only in the movie for 5 minutes.
At this point, I sincerely hope that's much more what they're thinking. However, their quote regarding the matter doesn't seem to support that. Sounds to me like this is about control, and I think Marvel thinks Norton asks too many questions, and offers too much input.

Which is a shame. If they'd listened to him, TIH would have been a much better movie.

morphius
07-11-2010, 10:36 AM
I never read comic books, but really, they should just leave the Hulk out of the mix. The Hulk just doesn't make sense in a group.

irishjayhawk
07-11-2010, 01:53 PM
Well, pretty much anyone with a brain can read through Marvel's quote and tear it to shreds. They obviously have something else going on.

Jamie
07-11-2010, 02:23 PM
One of the rumors is that Norton was fired because he wanted say over the script like he had on the Hulk movie.

Maybe the Avengers come together to stop a rampaging Hulk and Norton objected to making his character the villain?

JD10367
07-11-2010, 02:45 PM
If you read what they said, they basically took a giant shit on Norton's head. They pretty much state that Norton does NOT "embody creativity and collaborative spirit" nor does he "thrive working as part of an ensemble". And when you're talking about Robert Downey Jr., Scarlett Johannson, and Samuel Jackson, you're not exactly naming wallflowers. One guy has had established personality issues, the woman is one of the hottest and most famous, and Jackson is... well... Jackson, fer crissake. And all three of them are, in the producers' estimation, team players when compared to Norton. In other words, they liked working with Norton about as much as Megan Fox and Michael Bay enjoyed working with each other.

Pitt Gorilla
07-11-2010, 04:11 PM
They mention its not based on monetary factors......yea right.Exactly. Ed is more creative than the rest put together.

Red Brooklyn
07-11-2010, 04:14 PM
If you read what they said, they basically took a giant shit on Norton's head.

Yup.

Mr. Laz
07-11-2010, 04:25 PM
too bad, i thought Norton was pretty good at playing Bruce Banner

Deberg_1990
07-11-2010, 05:13 PM
I have a sneaking suspicion Avengers will end up being basically Iron Man 3/The Robert Downey Jr. Show and friends!
Posted via Mobile Device

irishjayhawk
07-11-2010, 05:16 PM
I have a sneaking suspicion Avengers will end up being basically Iron Man 3/the robert downey jr. Show and friends!
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm doubting it with Whedon at the helm.

Deberg_1990
07-11-2010, 06:16 PM
I'm doubting it with Whedon at the helm.

Yea, now that i think about it, he has shown a nice knack for "ensemble" stories. Probably why they chose him.

Brock
07-11-2010, 06:21 PM
Maybe the Avengers come together to stop a rampaging Hulk and Norton objected to making his character the villain?

IIRC, that is the origin of the Avengers. Haven't read it in about 20 years though.

Deberg_1990
07-11-2010, 06:23 PM
IIRC, that is the origin of the Avengers. Haven't read it in about 20 years though.

Yea, they kind of alluded to that at the very end of Nortons Hulk movie.....When Stark came into the bar and talked with the General.

Red Brooklyn
07-11-2010, 06:29 PM
Sounds about right.

Saccopoo
07-12-2010, 03:56 AM
http://unrealitymag.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/edward_norton_death_to_smoochy_002.jpg

Red Brooklyn
07-12-2010, 09:04 AM
http://unrealitymag.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/edward_norton_death_to_smoochy_002.jpg

:LOL:

kysirsoze
07-12-2010, 11:36 AM
This isn't that surprising considering all the static between Norton and the producers on The Incredible Hulk. I'm sure when trying to construct a huge, high budget, star-studded blockbuster that weaves the storylines of several franchises, it's not easy to deal with an actor who is going to buck the producers.

Don't get me wrong, I thought Norton was a great Banner. But I have full faith in Whedon. He won't do it if he thinks it's not being done right. If the component franchises give him a good start (Captain America, Thor) then Whedon is going to hit this one out of the park.

Deberg_1990
07-12-2010, 11:39 AM
Fight Fight Fight!!!!

This is getting interesting...

Edward Norton's agent responds to Marvel Chief's statement

http://www.hitfix.com/articles/2010-7-11-exclusive-edward-norton-s-agent-responds-to-marvel-ceo-s-statement?m=k

"This offensive statement from Kevin Feige at Marvel is a purposefully misleading, inappropriate attempt to paint our client in a negative light. Here are the facts: two months ago, Kevin called me and said he wanted Edward to reprise the role of Bruce Banner in The Avengers. He told me it would be his fantasy to bring Edward on stage with the rest of the cast at ComiCon and make it the event of the convention. When I said that Edward was definitely open to this idea, Kevin was very excited and we agreed that Edward should meet with Joss Whedon to discuss the project. Edward and Joss had a very good meeting (confirmed by Feige to me) at which Edward said he was enthusiastic at the prospect of being a part of the ensemble cast. Marvel subsequently made him a financial offer to be in the film and both sides started negotiating in good faith. This past Wednesday, after several weeks of civil, uncontentious discussions, but before we had come to terms on a deal, a representative from Marvel called to say they had decided to go in another direction with the part. This seemed to us to be a financial decision but, whatever the case, it is completely their prerogative, and we accepted their decision with no hard feelings.

We know a lot of fans have voiced their public disappointment with this result, but this is no excuse for Feige's mean spirited, accusatory comments. Counter to what Kevin implies here, Edward was looking forward to the opportunity to work with Joss and the other actors in the Avengers cast, many of whom are personal friends of his. Feige's statement is unprofessional, disingenuous and clearly defamatory. Mr. Norton talent, tireless work ethic and professional integrity deserve more respect, and so do Marvel's fans.

Brian Swardstrom
WME"

kysirsoze
07-12-2010, 11:44 AM
Fight Fight Fight!!!!

http://www.hitfix.com/articles/2010-7-11-exclusive-edward-norton-s-agent-responds-to-marvel-ceo-s-statement?m=k

"This offensive statement from Kevin Feige at Marvel is a purposefully misleading, inappropriate attempt to paint our client in a negative light. Here are the facts: two months ago, Kevin called me and said he wanted Edward to reprise the role of Bruce Banner in The Avengers. He told me it would be his fantasy to bring Edward on stage with the rest of the cast at ComiCon and make it the event of the convention. When I said that Edward was definitely open to this idea, Kevin was very excited and we agreed that Edward should meet with Joss Whedon to discuss the project. Edward and Joss had a very good meeting (confirmed by Feige to me) at which Edward said he was enthusiastic at the prospect of being a part of the ensemble cast. Marvel subsequently made him a financial offer to be in the film and both sides started negotiating in good faith. This past Wednesday, after several weeks of civil, uncontentious discussions, but before we had come to terms on a deal, a representative from Marvel called to say they had decided to go in another direction with the part. This seemed to us to be a financial decision but, whatever the case, it is completely their prerogative, and we accepted their decision with no hard feelings.

We know a lot of fans have voiced their public disappointment with this result, but this is no excuse for Feige's mean spirited, accusatory comments. Counter to what Kevin implies here, Edward was looking forward to the opportunity to work with Joss and the other actors in the Avengers cast, many of whom are personal friends of his. Feige's statement is unprofessional, disingenuous and clearly defamatory. Mr. Norton talent, tireless work ethic and professional integrity deserve more respect, and so do Marvel's fans.

Brian Swardstrom
WME"

Daaaaaammmmmmnnnn.

Red Brooklyn
07-12-2010, 11:45 AM
Nicely put, Mr. Swardstom.

JD10367
07-12-2010, 11:46 AM
Fight Fight Fight!!!!

Brian Swardstrom
WME"

::: sniff sniff ::: I smell defamation lawsuit! :D

Red Brooklyn
07-12-2010, 11:46 AM
::: sniff sniff ::: I smell defamation lawsuit! :D

Oooooooooh. If we're lucky!

Fish
07-12-2010, 06:04 PM
YOU NOT LIKE HULK'S AGENT WHEN HULK'S AGENT ANGRY!

vailpass
07-12-2010, 07:10 PM
They shouldn't make Edward Norton angry.

Sure-Oz
07-12-2010, 09:34 PM
It's been rumored they've offered the role to MIA actor Joaquin Phoenix

Guru
07-12-2010, 10:54 PM
It's been rumored they've offered the role to MIA actor Joaquin PhoenixWouldn't that be damn ironic?

Deberg_1990
07-13-2010, 08:44 AM

So would Hulk have a cleft lip?

Red Brooklyn
07-13-2010, 09:56 AM
I read that yesterday as well.... I don't know... I have a hard time believing it. Then again, it's Hollywood. Stranger things have happened.

Deberg_1990
07-13-2010, 10:58 AM
Norton issued a statement on his Facebook page. Bravo to him for taking the high road.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=167684&id=101925766514531#!/photo.php?pid=167684&id=101925766514531

Mr. Laz
07-13-2010, 11:04 AM
Fight Fight Fight!!!!

Sounds like the producers decided that the Hulk was going to be on the screen more than Bruce Banner so they didn't want to pay an actor much to be Bruce Banner.

jspchief
07-13-2010, 11:11 AM
Gee, why would an accomplished actor like Norton pass on another chance to star in a plotless CGI vehicle?

Brock
07-13-2010, 11:18 AM
Sounds like the producers decided that the Hulk was going to be on the screen more than Bruce Banner so they didn't want to pay an actor much to be Bruce Banner.

Pretty much. He'd probably get what, 15 minutes of real screen time?

Red Brooklyn
07-13-2010, 11:22 AM
Norton issued a statement on his Facebook page. Bravo to him for taking the high road.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=167684&id=101925766514531#!/photo.php?pid=167684&id=101925766514531

Just saw that. Norton's all class. Good for him.

Deberg_1990
07-14-2010, 05:38 PM
Rumor now is Mark Ruffalo might get the role....

Now, i love me sum Mark Ruffalo. Hes solid...not sure hes a good fit as Banner though??

http://www.deadline.com/2010/07/mark-ruffalo-in-late-stage-talks-to-be-marvels-new-hulk-in-the-avengers/

Rausch
07-14-2010, 05:45 PM
Movies and TV Edward Norton out as Hulk in Marvels "Avengers" movie

:cuss:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y48/virumor/Noooo.jpg

Red Brooklyn
07-15-2010, 12:25 PM
I kinda like Ruffalo as Banner.... at least in theory. It's outside the box and could be one of those things that just... works. Kinda like Ledge as Joker. Though I don't imagine Ruffalo's performance being in the same stratosphere.

Still, Norton will be sorely missed.