PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV Great Infomercial Is On Right Now

Rain Man
07-11-2010, 12:11 AM
Well, not really, but I like the concept.

It's run by Kevin Trudeau, who was actually banned from television for fraudulent infomercials and I think he went to prison. He then managed to get back onto television by selling books that are essentially the same thing as his infomercials, but books are protected by the first amendment.

So he set this thing up like it's a financial planning panel and he's one of the panel members. They have some attractive woman who is the panel "moderator", but he's the one in the middle of the table and she's off to the side.

The other members of the financial planning panel?

- Some attractive woman who is a past contestant on that Donald Trump apprentice show, who doesn't look familiar to me at all. She hasn't said a word so far.

- Some attractive woman who is one of the briefcase holders on Deal or No Deal, because that obviously makes her a financial planning expert.

- And of course, no financial planning panel would be complete without the 2007 Playboy Playmate of the Year.

The guy is such an obvious shyster that I'm surprised he's not wearing a sharkskin suit and shuffling a deck of cards. He's obviously targeting his book to the most stupid people in the United States. It's a book about "how to get free money from the government". Right now, he's talking about unclaimed property web sites and how valuable it is from a financial planning perspective.

Heh. The playboy woman messed up one of her lines, and he had to correct her. Supposedly she was giving her opinion about something, but she messed it up.

88TG88
07-11-2010, 12:13 AM
I need to get into that racket.

Rain Man
07-11-2010, 12:13 AM
Oddly, there's occasionally a harp strum that happens. I can't figure out why.

If you buy his book, he'll send you another book that describes ways to make $25,000 a month working from home. Sounds promising.

Rain Man
07-11-2010, 12:14 AM
Now he's talking about Cash for Clunkers, and saying that it was "secret government money". If I had only ordered his newsletter, I would have found out about it.

Rain Man
07-11-2010, 12:16 AM
Now he's saying that he was the first person in the country who said we were in a recession.

Harp strum. I just figured out that it happens when they pop his book price up on the screen.

Rain Man
07-11-2010, 12:17 AM
He has two secret magic words that you can use to completely eliminate your credit card debt and get a free platinum card. All you have to do is call your credit card company and say these two words, and they'll immediately zero out your card balance. So far he's not sharing the two words.

Fumblerooski
07-11-2010, 12:18 AM
Damn, I bought a house recently... I hope I didn't miss out on any secret government money that would have been explained in his book...

Rain Man
07-11-2010, 12:19 AM
He's illustrating diversity very well. His panel includes two blondes, a brunette, and a redhead. Lots of cleavage on the left side of the financial panel.

He didn't tell me what the two magic words are.

Harp strum.

Rain Man
07-11-2010, 12:21 AM
Damn, I bought a house recently... I hope I didn't miss out on any secret government money that would have been explained in his book...

It's too bad you didn't know about the secret government program a while back to give tax money to new homebuyers. No one knew about it except the people who bought his book.

I gotta admit, that Playboy playmate is a cutie.

Rain Man
07-11-2010, 12:22 AM
Now he's describing low-income programs like TANF, but he's describing them as secret government grants.

Rain Man
07-11-2010, 12:23 AM
He just mentioned a program that will give you $50,000 for a home down payment. No repayment required. Ever. Secret government money.

Rain Man
07-11-2010, 12:24 AM
The panel woman is still stuck on the unclaimed property stuff. He stopped talking about that ten minutes ago, but she just asked about it again.

Fumblerooski
07-11-2010, 12:25 AM
He just mentioned a program that will give you $50,000 for a home down payment. No repayment required. Ever. Secret government money.

Son of a LJ Spit Recipient!!!!!!

Can you share the handy 1-800 number please?

Rain Man
07-11-2010, 12:27 AM
The Apprentice woman is trying to establish her expertise. The playmate has made a few cute pandering statements. I'm not seeing much contribution so far from the Deal or No Deal woman or the panel moderator.

Ha. He just complained about the government and said they're not looking out for the people. (Well, that's right.) But then he said, "They won't fine the banks, but they fined me $37,000 for talking about this stuff." Now he's talking about how he was banned from TV, but he's doing this for the good of the people and he's not making any money at all from this book.

milkman
07-11-2010, 12:28 AM
He's illustrating diversity very well. His panel includes two blondes, a brunette, and a redhead. Lots of cleavage on the left side of the financial panel.

He didn't tell me what the two magic words are.

Harp strum.

If you send me 50 grand, I'll buy his book, find out what the magic words are and let you in on the secret.

Rain Man
07-11-2010, 12:28 AM
Son of a LJ Spit Recipient!!!!!!

Can you share the handy 1-800 number please?

I have to wait for the next harp strum to get the number, but I figured you'd like that program.

Von Dumbass
07-11-2010, 12:34 AM
The guy who drives the Mercedes while doing his infomercial is better. He is giving out secrets as to how to make millions in the real estate business though.

Rain Man
07-11-2010, 12:36 AM
Too late, it ended.

Now there's another infomercial about dental implants. They're sitting on a set like a talk show and there's an actual audience of maybe 100 people. Who sits in the audience during an infomercial? Are they paying them to be there? They seem to be very engaged, and in every audience shot they're intensely concentrating on the dental implant discussion.

Rain Man
07-11-2010, 12:37 AM
The guy who drives the Mercedes while doing his infomercial is better. He is giving out secrets as to how to make millions in the real estate business though.

Is that the midget guy?

tk13
07-11-2010, 12:52 AM
You can't have an infomercial thread without Mike Levey who did Amazing Discoveries. Never met a sweater he wouldn't wear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CliX-Gr0wwM&feature=related

They don't make them like this anymore. It's like watching Jordan drop 50 on the Knicks or something.

Von Dumbass
07-11-2010, 12:54 AM
Is that the midget guy?

Yeah looks like a Mexican/Italian with glasses.

aturnis
07-11-2010, 12:56 AM
I like money.

Baconeater
07-11-2010, 12:56 AM
And to think I missed all this because I was watching Dirty Jobs. This is probably the kind of thing that separates the go-getters like Rain Man from teh loosers like me.

luv
07-11-2010, 12:59 AM
I watched an infomercial on the Magic Bullet this afternoon. First thing I've seen that I actually considered purchasing.

Pitt Gorilla
07-11-2010, 01:09 AM
Is this the guy that wears the question mark suit or another "secret government programs" guy?

Fumblerooski
07-11-2010, 01:12 AM
Too late, it ended

:doh!:

Fumblerooski
07-11-2010, 01:13 AM
I watched an infomercial on the Magic Bullet this afternoon. First thing I've seen that I actually considered purchasing.

I've got one. It does what it says it's supposed to.. Never had a problem with mine.

Pitt Gorilla
07-11-2010, 01:14 AM
Is this the guy that wears the question mark suit or another "secret government programs" guy?Never mind, not the same guy at all (Matt Lesko, for those who recall the commercials).

BUT, I do know the two secret words!

Rain Man
07-11-2010, 01:43 AM
Never mind, not the same guy at all (Matt Lesko, for those who recall the commercials).

BUT, I do know the two secret words!

Can you share them? I would like to get a platinum card.

ClevelandBronco
07-11-2010, 01:54 AM
I should have bought a case of that spray-on hair that Ron Popeil was selling a few years back. I'm not going bald, but if it happens after society collapses I'm going to regret not having any of that stuff.

BTW: Kevin Trudeau's two secret words are "Identity Theft." I assume that you're supposed to call your credit card company, tell them that you've been the victim of those two words and dare them to prove that it was actually you that bought all that crap.

Rain Man
07-11-2010, 02:03 AM
Identity theft, eh? Great move. So as long as you're willing to commit fraud, you can get rid of your debt. Wouldn't it be easier to just shoplift the stuff on your card?

Just Passin' By
07-11-2010, 02:06 AM

There are some solid products that have started with an infomercial. They're just outnumbered by the crappy stuff.

ClevelandBronco
07-11-2010, 02:09 AM
There are some solid products that have started with an infomercial. They're just outnumbered by the crappy stuff.

The George Foreman grill comes to mind.

Guru
07-11-2010, 02:10 AM
Hell, I thought this thread might have been about the infomercial for that womens exercise thing where all they do is squat and look happy.

Hog Farmer
07-11-2010, 04:31 AM
Kevin Trudeau is awesome. I have all his books. And I've used his "two words" many times. They work for a variety of situations. Except for when you get pulled over for a speeding ticket ,it's not wise to tell the officer to "fuck off"

big nasty kcnut
07-11-2010, 05:24 AM
Sara Jean Underwood Playmate of the Year 2007 that who she is. Not bad just a little short for me.

ClevelandBronco
07-11-2010, 12:57 PM
Sara Jean Underwood Playmate of the Year 2007 that who she is. Not bad just a little short for me.

Yeah. I told her that to get her to stop begging.

JD10367
07-11-2010, 02:55 PM
Trudeau had that book about medical cures they don't want you to know about. I think some of it is probably rooted in truth (e.g. experimental procedures not allowed in the U.S., homeopathic remedies, etc.,.). Sure, he's a frickin' nutball shyster. But at least in that pitch he was hitting the ball out of the park occasionally. Honestly: if the medical industry could either a.) cure Disease A with a magic pill, or b.) keep Disease A in check by forcing you to buy expensive (by their design) medications for the rest of your life, which one do you think they'll choose? Drug companies are just that: companies. Their aim is to make as much money as possible for their shareholders. Why do you think there's been a sudden influx in recent years of drug companies bypassing the middleman (i.e. medical community) and pitching their product directly to the consumer with commercials? Because they WANT you to go to your doc and demand it... and, if your doc doesn't prescribe it, he/she knows you'll just go find a doc that will, so they just hand it over. I went to my doc and said I had a little trouble taking a leak, and--I shit you not--he literally started writing a prescription for Flomax, and I had to stop him and say, "Dude, I didn't say I wanted a drug for it, it's not that big of a deal, I just want you to check it out and make sure it's nothing serious like prostate cancer."

Sorry, I tangented.

Pitt Gorilla
07-11-2010, 04:24 PM
Trudeau had that book about medical cures they don't want you to know about. I think some of it is probably rooted in truth (e.g. experimental procedures not allowed in the U.S., homeopathic remedies, etc.,.). Sure, he's a frickin' nutball shyster. But at least in that pitch he was hitting the ball out of the park occasionally. Honestly: if the medical industry could either a.) cure Disease A with a magic pill, or b.) keep Disease A in check by forcing you to buy expensive (by their design) medications for the rest of your life, which one do you think they'll choose? Drug companies are just that: companies. Their aim is to make as much money as possible for their shareholders. Why do you think there's been a sudden influx in recent years of drug companies bypassing the middleman (i.e. medical community) and pitching their product directly to the consumer with commercials? Because they WANT you to go to your doc and demand it... and, if your doc doesn't prescribe it, he/she knows you'll just go find a doc that will, so they just hand it over. I went to my doc and said I had a little trouble taking a leak, and--I shit you not--he literally started writing a prescription for Flomax, and I had to stop him and say, "Dude, I didn't say I wanted a drug for it, it's not that big of a deal, I just want you to check it out and make sure it's nothing serious like prostate cancer."

Sorry, I tangented.So, did he take the hint and play with your balls?

bevischief
07-11-2010, 04:34 PM
What channel?

Guru
07-15-2010, 12:58 AM

I've got one. It does what it says it's supposed to.. Never had a problem with mine.I've actually been debating one of these but not at the infomercial price. Walmart has them for $49 right now. But without the juicer or blender attachment.

Count Alex's Wins
07-15-2010, 01:01 AM
Only Nixon could go to china.

Only Rain Man could create this thread.

kepp
07-15-2010, 08:27 AM
I need to get into that racket.

I did some side work (IT stuff) for a guy in the infomercial biz when I lived in L.A. - he had a house on the beach and the whole setup. Its amazing how many people fall for that stuff.

Duck Dog
07-15-2010, 08:35 AM
Is he also the 'Secrete Cures' guy?

Sofa King
07-15-2010, 08:38 AM

too short???!!?

http://www.bittenandbound.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/sara-jean-5.jpg

blaise
07-15-2010, 08:39 AM
The one I liked best was a few years ago, for some kind of mini grill or rotisserie oven or something. They had a group of people on stage with the pitchman while it was going on, and they had one older lady on there, all dressed up like trailer trash and she would smoke a cigarette while they did the routine. It was pretty awesome.

KCtotheSB
07-15-2010, 09:03 AM
Personally, I'm a HUGE fan of the classics. Ronco, Magic Bullet, Extenze....

JohninGpt
07-15-2010, 09:08 AM
Hell, I thought this thread might have been about the infomercial for that womens exercise thing where all they do is squat and look happy.

Can I be that exercise thing?

Crush
07-15-2010, 09:09 AM
http://www.infomercial-hell.com/

Some NSFW language

The Rick
07-15-2010, 09:36 AM

Sorry, I tangented.
Sorry, but you sound like my mother-in-law. :shake:

Whether he's right or wrong, the fact that my MIL constantly spews that junk every time one of us so much as takes an aspirin has caused me to have a deep dislike of Kevin Trudeau.

You have no idea how pleased I was when I saw the infomercial Rain Man referred to. Provided me with some serious ammo. :)

The Pedestrian
07-15-2010, 05:00 PM
Well I'm sure that correlation for women about being hot and having more money has everything to do with financial planning... :evil: