PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Truck advise

RedNeckRaider
07-11-2010, 04:55 PM
I drove pickups my whole life. A few years back I traded for a 4x4 blazer. I made a great deal as I got it wholesale price. A guy I know is VP at a local bank and I got into it on the cheap because it was a repo. It has been a great car...truck...whatever. I have never liked driving it and am looking at trucks again (because if God wanted men to drive cars or Blazers or whatever he would not have invented trucks) I will not spend the money to buy new. I found a 2005 SLT Quad cab in like new condition. Does anyone know anthing about them? What I have read it rates 4.5 out of 5.0. So what say you?

Baconeater
07-11-2010, 04:59 PM
I don't know much about them, but I'll bet Consumer Reports said the interior is 'plasticy'.

RedNeckRaider
07-11-2010, 05:03 PM
I don't know much about them, but I'll bet Consumer Reports said the interior is 'plasticy'.

I have driven it and the interior is great, in fact mint. I have a good number on the truck...not wholesale but solid under market value. Just hoping someone might know Dodges as I have been a bowtie guy my whole life~

bevischief
07-11-2010, 05:11 PM
If it doesn't leak, and under blue book go for it.

RedNeckRaider
07-11-2010, 05:15 PM
If it doesn't leak, and under blue book go for it.

I can get it around 3,500 under NADA but the yellow book is always puffed a dime or so. If I make a play on it we are close enough already for me to get to a hand shake number. And no it does not leak :)

tmax63
07-11-2010, 05:17 PM
I've driven a 95 Dakota 300,000 miles and it's been the best truck I ever owned. Had to replace the tranny at 200,000 though. Engine still doesn't use any oil. FIL just put about $2500 in a 1500 with about 140,000 miles to get it back road-worthy but it had been used and abused by grandson.

Brock
07-11-2010, 05:19 PM
There seem to be a billion dodge trucks on the road, they can't be too bad. I'd almost insist on them letting you drive it for a few days to make sure it's what you want, though.

Gonzo
07-11-2010, 05:19 PM
I'm not big on Dodge trucks but if it's low mileage and has been taken care of, go for it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Bwana
07-11-2010, 05:40 PM
On the surface, it sounds like a good deal, BUT........drop the $50, or $75 to have it inspected to make sure. If it checks out, great, go for it. If not, you just saved yourself one big pain in the azz.

Baconeater
07-11-2010, 05:49 PM
I have driven it and the interior is great, in fact mint. I have a good number on the truck...not wholesale but solid under market value. Just hoping someone might know Dodges as I have been a bowtie guy my whole life~
Oh, I'm just baiting HemiEd with the plastic comment, and I guarantee he'll bite on it.

All I can really say is I have a 99 Dakota that I am quite fond of, and I'd strongly lean towards Dodge for any future truck purchases. That doesn't necessarily mean that truck is right for you or that it's not going to cause you any problems.

Tylerthigpen!1!
07-11-2010, 05:50 PM
Yea get it inspected at a local garage. Ask them if they have seen a lot of problems with the truck

RedNeckRaider
07-11-2010, 05:52 PM
On the surface, it sounds like a good deal, BUT........drop the $50, or $75 to have it inspected to make sure. If it checks out, great, go for it. If not, you just saved yourself one big pain in the azz.
Oh I will. For the shape it is in I looked at it like what is the catch? What does that puppy bring in your neck of the woods?

Bwana
07-11-2010, 05:52 PM
Yea get it inspected at a local garage. Ask them if they have seen a lot of problems with the truck

And Carfax the thing.

Baconeater
07-11-2010, 05:53 PM
**** Carfax. That shit isn't worth the paper it's printed on.

Bwana
07-11-2010, 05:58 PM
**** Carfax. That shit isn't worth the paper it's printed on.

In some case's, you're right, but it's just one more safeguard for a reasonable price at his disposal. When I was a broker, I picked up hundreds of "oh shit, oh dear" information tips using it.

RedNeckRaider
07-12-2010, 10:16 PM
I own it and worked a better price than the number we parted at. I am in right and if something in the drive train scattered I would still be at a decent number. I love it and am very happy with the deal :) Thsi is a picture of the actual truck~

Over-Head
07-12-2010, 10:28 PM
I swear by my F-150 Super Crew Cab, although after 08' (mine) Ford in their mighty wisdom took a beautiful truck, and well, lets say the changes in bumper, and lights did nothing for me :shake:
Not sure if i'll just buy out my lease this time next year, or see whats out there I like.
Besides the Dodge Quad cab. Don't like the looks of much else, but then again your only driving 4 ft of truck anyway.
A 4 foot hood, and looking at 4 ft of dash, so it comes down to who's seat is more comfortable, and what works better for me and my equipment.

Over-Head
07-12-2010, 10:31 PM
I own it and worked a better price than the number we parted at. I am in right and if something in the drive train scattered I would still be at a decent number. I love it and am very happy with the deal :) Thsi is a picture of the actual truck~ NIce looken ride.
Add some black to the silver and your stylen :D

RedNeckRaider
07-12-2010, 10:35 PM
NIce looken ride.
Add some black to the silver and your stylen :D

It is Silver and Black :D the inside is black as is the bed liner. I will be sporting a mirror Raiders tag soon ;)

Baconeater
07-12-2010, 10:38 PM
Could you please post a slightly smaller pic of it? That one barely fits on my screen.

Over-Head
07-12-2010, 10:57 PM
It is Silver and Black :D the inside is black as is the bed liner. I will be sporting a mirror Raiders tag soon ;)
^5
Just like mine :D

RedNeckRaider
07-12-2010, 10:57 PM
Could you please post a slightly smaller pic of it? That one barely fits on my screen.

I tried to make it larger but cannot figure out how to :doh!:

RedNeckRaider
07-12-2010, 11:03 PM
FWIW it looks just like the picture in th OP but mine has tube running boards~

Baconeater
07-12-2010, 11:20 PM
FWIW it looks just like the picture in th OP but mine has tube running boards~
I'm just busting your balls. It's nice rig, although it's too bad you're going to defile it with Raiders crap. Oh, and you'd better hope gas stays affordable!

DaKCMan AP
07-13-2010, 05:47 AM
I cannot advise you or offer any advice other than do what will make you happy.

Bwana
07-13-2010, 06:31 AM

You had a great deal and story until that post. :eek: I may have to send you a KC sticker on the house, to save your soul! :D

Seriously, congrats and well played!

GoHuge
07-13-2010, 07:49 AM
I can not stress highly enough how much you need to buy an extended warranty. If not bumper-to-bumper at least the drive train. My best friend bought a 06' Dodge 4WD w/Cummins, w/61K on it and it was running great. After about 15,000 miles he went to change the oil for the third time and there were only 4 quarts in it. It takes 12. It was also throwing U-joints like a mother. Took it to the dealership he bought it from (were all my family works) and it needs a new motor, clutch (because the engine oil was leaking through the bell housing), and new ring and pinions in both axles. Total damage $11,200. He really didn't want to get an extended warranty, but my brother-in-law who's the finance manager and one of his best friends talked him into it. The whole thing is costing him $100 for the deductible which the dealership you buy it from waives if the work is done there. The warranty (powertrain) was $1100. It's now paid for itself 10 times over. He's damn glad he got it now!! You're playing russian roulette not having one especially with a 4WD. Drop a motor, tranny, or transfer case and that $3500 you saved will go poof.

tymania
07-13-2010, 08:14 AM
i have had bad experiences with dodge cars.. they jam everything so tight under the hood makes them some what difficult to work on... but i dont know it might be different for trucks vs cars..

Lzen
07-13-2010, 08:16 AM
....he went to change the oil for the third time and there were only 4 quarts in it. It takes 12...

WTF? 12?

Lzen
07-13-2010, 08:19 AM
My FIL seems to be happy with his 07 Durango that he bought a couple years ago. He also has a slightly older Caravan. Hasn't had any major issues so far.

My step sister has had a Caravan(older model (2000-2002? that has had all kinds of issues. They also have a 2000 Ram that has had the tranny replaced 3 times. From what I have been told, this tranny is a common issue in Dodges.

Baconeater
07-13-2010, 08:39 AM
i have had bad experiences with dodge cars.. they jam everything so tight under the hood makes them some what difficult to work on... but i dont know it might be different for trucks vs cars..
The RWD layout and the size of the vehicle makes trucks infinitely easier to work on.

WTF? 12?
That's pretty common for a diesel.

And yes, Chrysler's transmissions were notoriously bad in the 90s, but they have improved. Damned expensive to rebuild as well, I've seen nice 10 yr old Caravans go to the junkyard because the cost of a transmission exceeded the value of the vehicle.

ferrarispider95
07-13-2010, 09:55 AM
I had an 2004 version of that truck. I eventually ended up selling it because of fuel mileage, albeit I had the hemi, but I couldn't even break 12 in town.

Overall it was a good truck, except the paint was bubbling above the rear fenders. Apparently it is a pretty common problem with silver trucks of those years. Dodge wouldn't do anything about it.

ferrarispider95
07-13-2010, 09:56 AM
WTF? 12?

12, my f250 powerstroke takes 15. I only change it ever 5k for regular oil and ever 10k if I am using synthetic.

ferrarispider95
07-13-2010, 09:58 AM
I can not stress highly enough how much you need to buy an extended warranty. If not bumper-to-bumper at least the drive train. My best friend bought a 06' Dodge 4WD w/Cummins, w/61K on it and it was running great. After about 15,000 miles he went to change the oil for the third time and there were only 4 quarts in it. It takes 12. It was also throwing U-joints like a mother. Took it to the dealership he bought it from (were all my family works) and it needs a new motor, clutch (because the engine oil was leaking through the bell housing), and new ring and pinions in both axles. Total damage $11,200. He really didn't want to get an extended warranty, but my brother-in-law who's the finance manager and one of his best friends talked him into it. The whole thing is costing him $100 for the deductible which the dealership you buy it from waives if the work is done there. The warranty (powertrain) was $1100. It's now paid for itself 10 times over. He's damn glad he got it now!! You're playing russian roulette not having one especially with a 4WD. Drop a motor, tranny, or transfer case and that $3500 you saved will go poof.

The cummins engine has a 5 year, 100k warranty from the factory.

Lzen
07-13-2010, 01:02 PM
That's pretty common for a diesel.

Never had a diesel. Didn't know that. Interesting.

RedNeckRaider
07-13-2010, 07:29 PM
Well good or bad I own it and I love it. It drives like new and gets at least as good MPG as my Blazer 6 cylinder. It has a 4.7 V8 and has great power but seems easy on the gas...for a full size 4X4 Quad cab truck anyway :)

Over-Head
07-13-2010, 10:21 PM
Well good or bad I own it and I love it. It drives like new and gets at least as good MPG as my Blazer 6 cylinder. It has a 4.7 V8 and has great power but seems easy on the gas...for a full size 4X4 Quad cab truck anyway :)
If ya can afford it, get a cold air intake kit, or at least the K&N high flow filter.
You'll see the difference at the pumps
Try overinflating the tires a few pounds as well, firms up the ride a bit, and rolls eaiser for gas milage. :thumb:
Again, nice looken truck got them Raider stickers on it yet??

LaChapelle
07-13-2010, 11:29 PM
Get the windows shaded so all your buddies can use them as a mirror
to put their grease paint on in the parking lot

RedNeckRaider
07-14-2010, 06:19 AM
Get the windows shaded so all your buddies can use them as a mirror
to put their grease paint on in the parking lot

I have never worn makeup nor does anyone I am friends with. Is that how the guys that wear makeup at arrowhead put it on? I would think people who wear that would put it on at home~

penguinz
07-14-2010, 06:49 AM
If ya can afford it, get a cold air intake kit, or at least the K&N high flow filter.
You'll see the difference at the pumps
Try overinflating the tires a few pounds as well, firms up the ride a bit, and rolls eaiser for gas milage. :thumb:
Again, nice looken truck got them Raider stickers on it yet??:shake:

RedNeckRaider
07-14-2010, 06:42 PM
:shake:

I have never heard of what he is talking about and you responed with a shaking head. Is his sugestion poor? As far as the higher tire pressure I am not interested as I feel the gain at the pump is not worth the tire wear~

penguinz
07-14-2010, 07:57 PM
I have never heard of what he is talking about and you responed with a shaking head. Is his sugestion poor? As far as the higher tire pressure I am not interested as I feel the gain at the pump is not worth the tire wear~As well other issues it creates.

HonestChieffan
07-14-2010, 08:13 PM
I drove a dodge company pickup...never, ever as long as I live, wilL I ever have anything to do with a DODGE PICKUP.

POS times 10

Run as fast as you can.