Pages : 1 [2]

Red Brooklyn
07-25-2010, 09:23 AM
disappointed, grrrr... Figures.
What, specifically, disappointed you?

Simply Red
07-25-2010, 11:35 AM
What, specifically, disappointed you?

It was messy. The pace was too fast for the unclear plot. Look, I liked some things, but overall, I was disappointed, figured I would be and am usually correct. Oh well, if nothing else it's a renter to (again) finalize my opinion.

Reaper16
07-25-2010, 12:12 PM
also noteworthy, the garments were part of the plan, here. Lots of cool clothing. Stylish, if nothin' else.
Yeah, Joseph Gordon-Levitt came correct with it.

Red Brooklyn
07-25-2010, 12:31 PM
It was messy. The pace was too fast for the unclear plot. Look, I liked some things, but overall, I was disappointed, figured I would be and am usually correct. Oh well, if nothing else it's a renter to (again) finalize my opinion.
Cool. No judgement, man. It's not an easy movie. And there's a lot for people to potentially dislike or be turned off by. It's not a perfect movie.

Red Brooklyn
07-25-2010, 12:31 PM
Yeah, Joseph Gordon-Levitt came correct with it.

He's so good.

Pants
07-25-2010, 02:21 PM
Excellent write up, Taco John. Thanks for sharing that.

I think you're right in saying that the possibility that Cobb is in a deeper state of limbo does exsist. The movie is designed for possibilities.

For me, though (at least until I see it again), I have to just stick with trying not to over think it too much. That feels like a trap. The kids look the same age because only 2 years have passed since Mal died. You're not going to cast different children to play a 3 and a 5 year old. And, practically speaking, since the movie didn't take two years to film, the kids look the same. I think it's that simple.

It's a catch-22 of a film like this. You have a passage of time that is not equivalent to real life. You make a choice. Cast the same kids, people get suspicious. Cast different kids, people either don't buy it or get even more suspicious. Nolan can't win. He can only make a choice and hope that people get it. Or hope that it's ambiguously satisfying to both sides.

Interesting thoughts about the wedding ring... I'll have to keep that in mind next time I see it. But I think the top still has to be his totem. Why else does he scramble for it so desperately sometimes? He uses it immediately (in at least one situation that I recall) to test his reality. If the ring was his totem, he wouldn't have tested the top, he would have just looked at his finger, right?

The hang up for me not that they "look" the same and that they "haven't aged", it's the fact that it's just a continuation of his last memory of his kids. It's the same fucking shot except instead of getting cut off right before they turn around so he can see their faces, they do in fact turn around.

Also, why would he always look away from seeing their faces when Mal tried to show them to him?

FML. I'll have to go see it again.

tk13
07-25-2010, 03:43 PM
I don't understand how you can't love Christopher Nolan. I think some people try to come off as too intellectually superior or others will try to dismiss it just to appear above it all. But I think Nolan makes movies that challenge you. I'd agree he challenges your mind more than your heart... but he obviously is working at a superior level to a lot of filmmakers. By no means perfect... but it's a pretty cool experience. Definitely plan to see this again before I delve too much into this discussion. Nolan is great at leaving little slivers of doubt that creep into your head.

Reaper16
07-25-2010, 03:48 PM
I don't understand how you can't love Christopher Nolan. I think some people try to come off as too intellectually superior or others will try to dismiss it just to appear above it all. But I think Nolan makes movies that challenge you. I'd agree he challenges your mind more than your heart... but he obviously is working at a superior level to a lot of filmmakers. By no means perfect... but it's a pretty cool experience. Definitely plan to see this again before I delve too much into this discussion. Nolan is great at leaving little slivers of doubt that creep into your head.
Nolan has never made a great film but he's a master at doing two things with easy-going, populist films: 1.) evoking a sense of "epicness" - sheer moviegoing delight - out of otherwise stale genre film, and 2.) raising the intelligence level of otherwise stale genre film up to satisfactory levels.

tk13
07-25-2010, 04:12 PM
In my book he is definitely a great filmmaker. But that's such a subjective argument, and you can line up 10 people and they'll have different expectations about what they want to see in a film. It's all opinion.

Bowser
07-25-2010, 04:14 PM
Nolan has never made a great film but he's a master at doing two things with easy-going, populist films: 1.) evoking a sense of "epicness" - sheer moviegoing delight - out of otherwise stale genre film, and 2.) raising the intelligence level of otherwise stale genre film up to satisfactory levels.That's not a bad thing. It could be debated that you're arguing against yourself as to his abilities in pointing out that he actually CAN turn chicken shit into chicken salad.

Robert Butler of The Star had only one criticism of Nolan's work on Inception - That it didn't make him feel. In my opinion, that's pretty subjective, and if that's the biggest complaint among the many other acievments he pulls off (in this movie, anyway), I think it's safe to say he did a pretty damned good job as a director.

siberian khatru
07-25-2010, 04:24 PM
Just got back from seeing it.

Wow.

siberian khatru
07-25-2010, 04:28 PM
I haven't seen another film that can twist your mind and have you questioning yourself for days afterward to quite the same extent as Inception. It's just so dense, yet at the same time so elegant, so artful. I've seen it twice and still struggle to process it, to figure out quite how to put into words what I've seen. But even if I never manage to find the right words, or come to the "right" conclusion, the experience itself is so immensely satisfying that it hardly matters. The film has done its job.

The way it ****s with our minds -- genuinely, meaningfully, not cheaply -- is an accomplishment in and of itself. A huge accomplishment.

This is where I'm at an hour after seeing it for the first time.

The first thing I said to my son when the credits rolled was, "I've got to see this movie again."

We can't stop talking about it. Now I'm going to plunge into the Internet discussions about it to try to grasp it more.

This movie was ... an experience.

Red Brooklyn
07-25-2010, 04:33 PM
Nolan has never made a great film but he's a master at doing two things with easy-going, populist films: 1.) evoking a sense of "epicness" - sheer moviegoing delight - out of otherwise stale genre film, and 2.) raising the intelligence level of otherwise stale genre film up to satisfactory levels.

I suppose "great" is about as subjective as any other word in association with art.

But by my count, Nolan has three hands down GREAT films under his belt. Inception might be his fourth, but I'm not ready to crown it until I've spent more time with it.

siberian khatru
07-25-2010, 04:36 PM
I'm not ready to crown it until I've spent more time with it.

Yeah. My son asked me, "Is that one of the greatest movies you've ever seen?"

I said, "I don't know, let me let it sink in for awhile."

But I'll say this: I can't remember the last time I had a reaction to a movie like this.

mlyonsd
07-25-2010, 04:50 PM
Just got back from seeing it.

Wow.

My family as well. We all liked it. Very well thought out.

Red Brooklyn
07-25-2010, 04:54 PM
It's maybe the first movie I've ever seen that so successfully blends the art house ethic/asthetic with the hollywood summer blockbuster ethic/asthetic. It's a summer art house blockbuster.

Maybe there's something else out there that achieved this, but I can't think of it, or I've never seen it. Nolan just built a bridge that I doubted could be constructed. He, at least, deserves appropriate applause for that.

Deberg_1990
07-25-2010, 05:06 PM
Nolan has never made a great film

WTF????

Jenson71
07-25-2010, 05:07 PM

I think he's a really good action director.

I've had my argument about The Dark Knight. Reaper and Baby Lee found it completely unacceptable that I could think The Dark Knight ultimately didn't say much about evil, fighting it, or actual ethical problems real people face. They were really pissed at me that I suggested the ultimate core of The Dark Knight was as similar to Joel Schumacker's Batman Forever (a guy dresses up in a bat suit and fights real bad guys). I still think it's true, and the main difference between the two is that Nolan is such a skilled director that he makes it very stylish and cool and acceptable for adults to indulge in.

And with Inception, Nolan makes another very entertaining movie that I could definitely watch a few times.

Reaper16
07-25-2010, 05:08 PM
That's not a bad thing. It could be debated that you're arguing against yourself as to his abilities in pointing out that he actually CAN turn chicken shit into chicken salad.

Robert Butler of The Star had only one criticism of Nolan's work on Inception - That it didn't make him feel. In my opinion, that's pretty subjective, and if that's the biggest complaint among the many other acievments he pulls off (in this movie, anyway), I think it's safe to say he did a pretty damned good job as a director.
I certainly didn't mean what I said to be a bad thing. I don't see how what I said could be construed as a bad thing.

I suppose "great" is about as subjective as any other word in association with art.

But by my count, Nolan has three hands down GREAT films under his belt. Inception might be his fourth, but I'm not ready to crown it until I've spent more time with it.
To each his own. When I said great film I meant greatfilm. I don't think any of Nolan's films comes anywhere close to being great (and I really enjoy most of Nolan's filmography).

It's maybe the first movie I've ever seen that so successfully blends the art house ethic/asthetic with the hollywood summer blockbuster ethic/asthetic. It's a summer art house blockbuster.

Maybe there's something else out there that achieved this, but I can't think of it, or I've never seen it. Nolan just built a bridge that I doubted could be constructed. He, at least, deserves appropriate applause for that.
I can't see where you're coming from with that comparison. I'm trying and I can't.

Rausch
07-25-2010, 05:14 PM
Ok. A couple things...

1. I think that Cobb's personal totem is his wedding ring. When he's in the dream world, he knows he's there because he's wearing it. When he's in the real world, he doesn't wear it. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to clearly see at the end of the film whether or not he had his ring on when he finally spun the top.

I'm sure this has been covered but the top was his wife's totem, not his. Top spins or doesn't spin it doesn't matter, that wasn't his totem. I don't think he had a totem.

I don't think he wanted to know for sure if he was dreaming or not.

2. What I didn't understand/appreciate the first time around is that Michael Caine is Mal's father. This seems very odd to me. I wish I understood more about what has gone on between him and Cobb. Apparently, he buys the story about Mal killing herself, and is still willing to associate with Cobb despite the tragic death of his girl. This is a little troubling to me because it's never explored at all in the film.

I didn't catch that. Since you bring it up it does seem odd...

3. The possibility that Cobb is in a deeper state of limbo is there, and I have what I believe is a strong theory about it. They were very careful to show the progression that Adrienne went through as she moved up from limbo all the way through each kick. And when they got to the van level, they showed everybody breathing oxygen using scuba tanks and passing it around. They then escaped the sinking van. They shoed Cobb's limp, drowning body there, as they shrug and make their escape. Cobb had died on level one. The next thing they show is Cobb "waking up on the shores of (Saito's) subconsious." Saito was an old man who had built an empire for himself, and was "a lonely old man waiting to die alone."

IIRC the original plan was to get something from Saito and I'm not completely convinced that he and Cobb aren't on that lowest level together because that "job" never ended.

I read on another site that some think the true job was to get info from/plant in Saito and the son/father element is just a part of that to trick Saito along so they could get him to a level deep enough to pull it off.

Ok. A couple things...

1. I think that Cobb's personal totem is his wedding ring. When he's in the dream world, he knows he's there because he's wearing it. When he's in the real world, he doesn't wear it. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to clearly see at the end of the film whether or not he had his ring on when he finally spun the top.

I'm sure this has been covered but the top was his wife's totem, not his. Top spins or doesn't spin it doesn't matter, that wasn't his totem. I don't think he had a totem.

2. What I didn't understand/appreciate the first time around is that Michael Caine is Mal's father. This seems very odd to me. I wish I understood more about what has gone on between him and Cobb. Apparently, he buys the story about Mal killing herself, and is still willing to associate with Cobb despite the tragic death of his girl. This is a little troubling to me because it's never explored at all in the film.

I didn't catch that. Since you bring it up it does seem odd...

Thus, shooting themselves at the end wouldn't necessarily bring them out, and could very possibly instead take them even deeper into limbo - a level that Cobb had never reached before, and his subconsious took over from there to set everything in order based on the ideas that he had decided on in the first level of limbo (ie. Mal is dead, it's time to move on).

This is a part of the film I never really understood. Sometimes death kicked you out/up from the dream and sometimes it would send you deeper. I don't know if I missed something or it just wasn't explained well...

Red Brooklyn
07-25-2010, 05:15 PM
What do you mean, Reaper? What are you having trouble with?

Reaper16
07-25-2010, 05:17 PM
What do you mean, Reaper? What are you having trouble with?
I don't understand how Inception is supposed to have any art-house cinema "ness" to it. I don't get that statement.

Red Brooklyn
07-25-2010, 05:20 PM
I see.

To me the movie screams "art house" in terms of it's concept and structure. Even it's noir style and complicated, (at times) desolate themes.

It's a movie for art house people that requires a massive hollywood budget and effects. I'm not sure if I've ever seen it pulled off so well before.

Reaper16
07-25-2010, 05:22 PM
I see.

To me the movie screams "art house" in terms of it's concept and structure. Even it's noir style and complicated, (at times) desolate themes.

It's a movie for art house people that requires a massive hollywood budget and effects. I'm not sure if I've ever seen it pulled off so well before.
Huh. Still don't get what you're getting at. And I see a shit ton of independent films at art-house theaters.

Red Brooklyn
07-25-2010, 05:23 PM
Must just be me then.

Reaper16
07-25-2010, 05:27 PM
Must just be me then.
I don't see how it is any more or less structured in art-house style than The Prestige or The Dark Knight. (Which is to say that I don't see it being in an art-house style at all. I reject the implication that mass-marketed film can't be intelligent)

Rausch
07-25-2010, 05:27 PM
Huh. Still don't get what you're getting at. And I see a shit ton of independent films at art-house theaters.

Emotional, beautiful and very mood evoking landscapes, character driven story...

Reaper16
07-25-2010, 05:29 PM
Emotional, beautiful and very mood evoking landscapes, character driven story...
Sounds like Avatar or any number of mainstream films.

mlyonsd
07-25-2010, 05:37 PM
This is a part of the film I never really understood. Sometimes death kicked you out/up from the dream and sometimes it would send you deeper. I don't know if I missed something or it just wasn't explained well...

I don't think it meant it sent you deeper, I took it to mean you couldn't come back because you were multiple levels into dreams. Like if you're in first level death will always send you back, second level results were more unpredictable, third even more so exponentially.

I need to watch it again to pick up on clues I missed. Kind of like the Sixth Sense, one of the best modern movies ever made.

Rudy lost the toss
07-25-2010, 05:40 PM
Ok, I'll bite. What is Leo's "real" totem?

his cock

Red Brooklyn
07-25-2010, 05:43 PM
I don't see how it is any more or less structured in art-house style than The Prestige or The Dark Knight. (Which is to say that I don't see it being in an art-house style at all. I reject the implication that mass-marketed film can't be intelligent)

Mainstream films can be intellegent. I'm not trying to imply otherwise.

Reaper16
07-25-2010, 05:43 PM
his cock
That's actually more thought-provoking than you may have intended. How would the architect get that exactly right without, you know?

Rudy lost the toss
07-25-2010, 05:46 PM
That's actually more thought-provoking than you may have intended. How would the architect get that exactly right without, you know?

TJ will be paying special attention

Gravedigger
07-25-2010, 06:51 PM
his cock

Remember, only he can touch it in the real world.

tk13
07-25-2010, 10:18 PM
I've seen it twice now, so now we can talk about it, haha. Actually I might have more questions after watching it twice. This movie might end up making you ask more questions than answers the more you watch it.

I did totally miss the fact that when Ariadne "comes back" like Cobb says she will... they cut from that scene, which is supposed to be reality, to a dream. The scene where they pull the staircase trick. They are in Arthur's (Gordon-Levitt's) dream right? There is a woman the drops her papers right in front of them... they walk around her, twice, then the stairs end. That was a scene where they never actually defined dream or reality, did they? Arthur manipulates the stairs. So he was dreaming and she was within his dream. They go walking after that and everyone is staring at Arthur. I don't know how I glossed over that the first time.

Around the same time is when Cobb is heavily sedated by Yusuf. I actually did notice this the first time around. Cobb wakes up... when he goes to the bathroom to try and use the totem he never gets the chance. If "reality" goes off the rails it could be there.

Another thing that was interesting was when Ariadne is in Cobb's "basement"... Mal makes some kind of reference about being a "lover". What was the point of that? I did not understand everything in her speech to Ariadne. She clearly says to Cobb "How could you bring her here?"

Maybe there's not a point to any of that... there's 15000 other questions to ask. Cobb definitely is wearing a wedding ring in some scenes and not in others. Plus it is very weird that he is using someone else's totem. I thought they clearly went back to reality but now I'm not quite as sure. There are SO many little moments where characters have lines or actions that make you question where you are.

It's tough because everybody I think tries to start at the ending and see if the events can lead you there. But I think that's great... I love movies like this, so I hope Nolan can keep doing it. Even if it fries my brain.

Oh yeah, one more thing I forgot to edit in there:

I did think that last scene with the top was great. The 2nd time I saw it... the theater wasn't totally packed, but it was a large crowd.. and you could feel the air being sucked out of the room as the top spun around. Normally I don't like watching movies in a big crowd but that was great.

KcMizzou
07-25-2010, 10:44 PM
It's tough because everybody I think tries to start at the ending and see if the events can lead you there. But I think that's great... I love movies like this, so I hope Nolan can keep doing it. Even if it fries my brain.
He's done something pretty special, IMO. He's created a "Blockbuster" that's ambiguous, yet satisfying.

You're left wondering, but not annoyed by it. That's a very difficult thing to do.

I need to see it again. I'll own the DVD for sure.

Taco John
07-25-2010, 11:10 PM

I was aware that the top was his wife's totem. But I went for the second time to find his. During the scene where he was in the dream with Saito trying to grab his secrets, I noticed his wedding ring at a particular moment had a little glint to it. Knowing the second time around that it might have some significance, I tried to keep an eye on it. I noticed that in the dream world he has it on, and in reality he doesn't wear it (you can see it sometimes when he spins the top).

I believe that it had to do with the sedative and the timing of the kick. If you died during the kick, you were sent up a level because your body on the level up was experiencing the inner ear distress that told the body to wake up. If you died outside of the kick, you were sent to limbo (where you would dream "until your brain turns to scrambled eggs") because your body was still under sedation.

tk13
07-25-2010, 11:20 PM
Yeah, I definitely think there's probably something to the ring thing. When you watch it the 2nd time you definitely notice that first shot with it on his hand... sitting there at the table with old Saito.

'Hamas' Jenkins
07-26-2010, 02:36 AM
Read up on solipsism.

After that, think about the infinite mirror scene again.

That should be more than enough explanation.

beach tribe
07-26-2010, 12:17 PM
I watched this bootlegged last night. After I saw that it was a shitty CAM video(I was praying for some kind of leak) I promised myself, I wouldn't watch it, but I couldn't help myself. I just wasted watch a little of it to see what it was all about, and whether i should go to the movies, and see it, but there was no way I could stop watching this fn movie. Even with the shitty quality, It's in my top 3, hell maybe #1.
EPIC. Unforgettable. Unique. Classic.
I'm going to the movies tonight to watch it again.

JD10367
07-26-2010, 12:31 PM

Now THERE'S a come-on line for you.

Leonardo DiCaprio's character to Ellen Page's character: "Okay, now, in order for you to properly architect my dream, let me show you my schlong and let you handle it, so you know how to create it realistically." :D Sounds a hell of a lot better than "come up to my apartment and I'll show you my etchings"...

beach tribe
07-26-2010, 12:31 PM
About half way through the movie, I thought I had figured it out, and that I had ruined it for myself. i thought that his dad was trying inception on him, to make him get over his wife, and that they were all trying to help cure Cobb. Kind of like Shutter island. Which i figured out in advance. I'm glad that didn't turn out to be the case.

Taco John
07-26-2010, 12:53 PM
Was Caine his dad or her dad? I'm under the impression that it's her dad.

'Hamas' Jenkins
07-26-2010, 12:59 PM
Her dad.

'Hamas' Jenkins
07-26-2010, 01:05 PM
Couple of non-related thoughts:

1) Did everyone else's theater have a preview for the Facebook movie? That looked so fucking stupid it defied comprehension. "Let's just take Pirates of Silicon Valley and throw in that awkward kid from Zombieland with the Jewfro."

2) Piranha. If Snakes on a Plane took itself seriously. :facepalm:

Taco John
07-26-2010, 02:33 PM
I am very eager for the Facebook movie. I just finished the book that inspired the movie, and am looking forward to seeing it portrayed on film. I personally think that it has potential to be an important movie for our generation in much the same way that Wall Street was important for the 80's, except that in this movie, "Gordon Gekko" is a real person making a real impact in our technocultural evolution.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=230877

Thig Lyfe
07-26-2010, 04:47 PM
@Jesus_M_Christ (follow Him if you don't already, cuz He's hilarious) tweeted a link to this yesterday. It's the most mind-blowing Inception theory involving Charlie St. Cloud I've ever read:

http://tinyurl.com/2d8xeuf

tk13
07-26-2010, 05:19 PM
I don't think this is a repost. Possible spoilers...

Check this out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVkQ0C4qDvM

A guy I know who is a big film buff showed this to me. I have questions, but he is almost convinced someone was trying to incept Cobb. As you can see there.... Hans Zimmer's main theme at the big moments throughout the movie is the music used for the kick... slowed down...

That is pretty cool. Were they all in a dream the whole time and the music score was actually a kick going on at a higher level? Interesting theory.

'Hamas' Jenkins
07-26-2010, 11:04 PM
Ok, I'm going to say this one thing:

It's a reflexive move. The entire point of the film is to turn the act of deciding "what is reality" back onto the viewer. Normally, it's the protagonist in the film (Neo, Leonard Shelby, etc) who is trying to decide what is reality.

Ultimately, any of our decisions on "what is reality?" require us to tacitly accept that our reality is reality.

Cutting the film before the totem dropped forces you to make that choice, just like Mal and Cobb did, albeit in different ways.

Trying to find out "which one is real" is only further circling the Penrose.

It's the act of choosing that is important. And in this case, it must be done by the viewer, because a definitive answer is unknowable.

KcMizzou
07-26-2010, 11:11 PM

It's a reflexive move. The entire point of the film is to turn the act of deciding "what is reality" back onto the viewer. Normally, it's the protagonist in the film (Neo, Leonard Shelby, etc) who is trying to decide what is reality.

Ultimately, any of our decisions on "what is reality?" require us to tacitly accept that our reality is reality.

Cutting the film before the totem dropped forces you to make that choice, just like Mal and Cobb did, albeit in different ways.

It's the act of choosing that is important. And in this case, it must be done by the viewer, because a definitive answer is unknowable.And that's friggin' genius. Love it.

beach tribe
07-27-2010, 10:33 AM
Read up on solipsism.

After that, think about the infinite mirror scene again.

That should be more than enough explanation.

But if you are in someone else's dream, does solipsism cease to be a possibility?

I would think so. Especially if you are sharing their memories, and experiences.

Maybe I'm wrong.

siberian khatru
07-27-2010, 11:20 AM

It's the act of choosing that is important. And in this case, it must be done by the viewer, because a definitive answer is unknowable.

I think that's exactly it.

The spinning top at the end isn't important. What matters is that Cobb walks away from it. Earlier in the movie, he's staring at it spinning with a gun in his hand -- the implication that if it doesn't stop spinning, he's in a dream, and he's going to shoot himself in the head to wake himself up.

At the end, he doesn't care anymore. All that matters is that he wants to be happy -- he wants to be with his kids. THAT'S his reality, whether it's "real" or not. That's what he is accepting. His reality is what he makes of it.

Reaper16
07-27-2010, 01:27 PM

But to what end? I don't see any stakes in the choice one way or the other. I generally love it when films mess with the audience but in the case of Inception it feels empty, and clever for the sake of being clever.

'Hamas' Jenkins
07-27-2010, 04:11 PM
But to what end? I don't see any stakes in the choice one way or the other. I generally love it when films mess with the audience but in the case of Inception it feels empty, and clever for the sake of being clever.

I never said the choice was rife with philosophical value. I said that the choice itself is what matters, because of what it represents relative to the normal relationship of viewer and cinema.

I don't know how many theory courses you've taken, but an analogy may be the importance of speech acts.

The final scene would represent a illocutionary act.

underEJ
07-27-2010, 04:20 PM

I think it's more than just making a choice. In the same way that the subject fills the dream with their subconscious, the viewer brings our subconscious to fill out the story. Mine got pretty involved in the emotional story. Yours, and that of a couple other people I know who say similar things to your comments, didn't. I don't think that anyone is right, or wrong, or gullible, or sharp, or "got it," or "didn't get it."

I just think people experience things differently and it would be pretty damn impossible to make a movie that everyone watches and has the same experience.

I have seen it twice now, and had two different experiences, and made a slightly different choice at the end the second time around. I don't second guess myself, however, and think I was wrong the first time. I just think I watched it differently, and was in a different setting with a much larger audience the first time drawing on group reactions, too. Both were very satisfying experiences.

Pants
07-27-2010, 04:39 PM
I think it's more than just making a choice. In the same way that the subject fills the dream with their subconscious, the viewer brings our subconscious to fill out the story. Mine got pretty involved in the emotional story. Yours, and that of a couple other people I know who say similar things to your comments, didn't. I don't think that anyone is right, or wrong, or gullible, or sharp, or "got it," or "didn't get it."

I just think people experience things differently and it would be pretty damn impossible to make a movie that everyone watches and has the same experience.

I have seen it twice now, and had two different experiences, and made a slightly different choice at the end the second time around. I don't second guess myself, however, and think I was wrong the first time. I just think I watched it differently, and was in a different setting with a much larger audience the first time drawing on group reactions, too. Both were very satisfying experiences.

Good post, man.

I, myself, am going to go see it for the 2nd time tonight. This time in IMAX.

luv
07-27-2010, 09:21 PM
How long is this movie? Thinking about going to go see it at 10pm.

tk13
07-27-2010, 09:34 PM
That was a good post. That was along the lines of what I was going to say... if it is up to the audience, that really might be the most meaningful ending of all. Kinda means the world is what you make of it. Which will seem deceptively simple but that's kind of the point. You can't really win.

KcMizzou
07-27-2010, 09:35 PM
How long is this movie? Thinking about going to go see it at 10pm.Like 2 1/2 hours?

It's well worth it.

tk13
07-27-2010, 09:35 PM
How long is this movie? Thinking about going to go see it at 10pm.

Two and a half hours.

luv
07-27-2010, 09:48 PM
Like 2 1/2 hours?

It's well worth it.

Sitting in an empty theater with an overpriced beer...lol. Wait people came in. No longer alone.
Posted via Mobile Device

luv
07-28-2010, 12:51 AM
I enjoyed it. It wasn't hard to keep track. I only have one question about the ending, but I may just have to watch it again to get my answer.

Bowser
07-28-2010, 01:26 AM
I enjoyed it. It wasn't hard to keep track. I only have one question about the ending, but I may just have to watch it again to get my answer.

It was 2 1/2 hours long.

Bowser
07-28-2010, 01:28 AM
Well, the one certainty is that this movie, like it, love it, or feel cheated by it, has brought on a ton of discussion about it, and I think that's the goal of most movies, especially of this genre.

However, I truly, truly hope Nolan and cast don't get sucked into doing some half assed sequel just for the sake of doing a sequel.

Taco John
07-28-2010, 02:31 AM
Well, the one certainty is that this movie, like it, love it, or feel cheated by it, has brought on a ton of discussion about it, and I think that's the goal of most movies, especially of this genre.

However, I truly, truly hope Nolan and cast don't get sucked into doing some half assed sequel just for the sake of doing a sequel.

I don't think so. Inception was like a favor to Nolan for kicking ass on Batman. "Sure, go for it kiddo, thanks for the bajillion you made for us with Batman, knock yourself out."

This was just a one-off project. They want Nolan focused on wrapping up Batman now, and also on breathing life back into the Superman franchise (http://splashpage.mtv.com/2010/06/04/christopher-nolan-superman-joker-batman-3/). Plus, if the studio wants a sequel to Inception, they'll have to go to Nolan and ask him for it - and that's going to cost them. I would be suprised if Nolan took the bait. By then he'll have another side project ready to turn heads.

beach tribe
07-28-2010, 08:18 AM
This is pretty cool.
http://twitpic.com/293ylr/full
http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/filmblog/2010/jul/28/inception-diagram-map-graphic

Reaper16
07-28-2010, 11:25 AM

Movies = Whitlock columns.

siberian khatru
07-28-2010, 01:33 PM
Interesting:

http://volokh.com/2010/07/27/understanding-inception/

Includes links to other discussions and related material.

Reaper16
07-28-2010, 03:52 PM
Interesting:

http://volokh.com/2010/07/27/understanding-inception/

Includes links to other discussions and related material.
I stopped reading two sentences in.

Red Brooklyn
07-29-2010, 09:27 AM
So, just out of curiosity, where does Inception rank among Nolan's cannon for you guys? Anyone - everyone - is welcome to respond to this question...

Reaper16
07-29-2010, 10:39 AM
So, just out of curiosity, where does Inception rank among Nolan's cannon for you guys? Anyone - everyone - is welcome to respond to this question...
1.) The Dark Knight
2.) Batman Begins
3.) The Prestige
4.) Inception
5.) Memento
haven't seen his others.

Red Brooklyn
07-29-2010, 10:40 AM
1.) The Dark Knight
2.) Batman Begins
3.) The Prestige
4.) Inception
5.) Memento
haven't seen his others.

:eek:

Interesting. What, may I ask, do you have against Memento? Or rather, why do you have it ranked at 5?

Reaper16
07-29-2010, 10:46 AM
:eek:

Interesting. What, may I ask, do you have against Memento? Or rather, why do you have it ranked at 5?
It doesn't hold up to repeated viewings. But my chief concern is with what seems to me to be a plot hole: how does Guy Pierce's character remember that he has short-term memory loss?

Red Brooklyn
07-29-2010, 10:50 AM
It doesn't hold up to repeated viewings. But my chief concern is with what seems to me to be a plot hole: how does Guy Pierce's character remember that he has short-term memory loss?
Dude, really? You're a smart guy, Reaper. I think you may have missed something. I'd recommend going back to watch it again, if only to answer your question.

I think Memento holds up. Some chunks of dialogue haven't aged well for me, but that's about it. The movie still holds and thrills me every time I watch it.

siberian khatru
07-29-2010, 11:20 AM
Dude, really? You're a smart guy, Reaper. I think you may have missed something. I'd recommend going back to watch it again, if only to answer your question.

I think Memento holds up. Some chunks of dialogue haven't aged well for me, but that's about it. The movie still holds and thrills me every time I watch it.

Of course, I've seen it and loved it, but it's been a few years. Couple of days ago I put it at the top of the Netflix queue so my son could watch it. Be interesting to see if it holds up.

Red Brooklyn
07-29-2010, 11:35 AM
Of course, I've seen it and loved it, but it's been a few years. Couple of days ago I put it at the top of the Netflix queue so my son could watch it. Be interesting to see if it holds up.
Let me know what you think. I saw 3 times in the theatres and about 20 times the first year it was out on DVD.

I popped it in about 4 months ago just because I was feeling it. I still adore the film. Some of the dialogue is weaker than I remember, as I said. But the film still holds up in my opinion.

Hope it does for you too.

Taco John
07-29-2010, 11:44 AM
1. Inception

2. Momento
3. Following
4. The Dark Knight
5. Insomnia
6. The Prestige
7. Batman Begins

Red Brooklyn
07-29-2010, 11:47 AM
1. Inception

2. Momento
3. Following
4. The Dark Knight
5. Insomnia
6. The Prestige
7. Batman Begins

That list looks a little more like mine. May I ask about Batman Begins? Why at the bottom? And what puts Inception so far and away above Memento for you?

Taco John
07-29-2010, 11:49 AM
That list looks a little more like mine. May I ask about Batman Begins? Why at the bottom? And what puts Inception so far and away above Memento for you?

I find Leo to be dreamy. And that Gordon Leavitt cat. Me-ow!

Taco John
07-29-2010, 12:02 PM
Seriously though, I like Inception because I like clever movies made by smart people for smart people. I think Inception is one of the most elegant and original movies ever built, and it oozes with intelligence. I can't remember a movie that has infected not only me, but popular culture in the same way that this one has - and for all the right reasons. Inception isn't just a movie - it's an event... an experience.

Truth be known, I like all of Nolan's work. Momento is a good movie, but I don't personally think it reached the level that Inception did. I didn't spend any time after Momento trying to dissect the story. It didn't capture my imagination. It was just a movie that I found enjoyable, not necessarily an experience.

I put Batman Begins at the bottom because that's where I think it belongs. I enjoyed it, to be sure, but of all of his films, it is the one that I think the least of. Not that I won't watch it again - I surely will. But there's not much to it once you've seen it once.

Red Brooklyn
07-29-2010, 12:02 PM
I find Leo to be dreamy. And that Gordon Leavitt cat. Me-ow!

:redface:

noa
07-29-2010, 12:04 PM
http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/07/28/hans-zimmer-extracts-the-secrets-of-the-inception-score/

Red Brooklyn
07-29-2010, 04:48 PM
Seriously though, I like Inception because I like clever movies made by smart people for smart people. I think Inception is one of the most elegant and original movies ever built, and it oozes with intelligence. I can't remember a movie that has infected not only me, but popular culture in the same way that this one has - and for all the right reasons. Inception isn't just a movie - it's an event... an experience.

Truth be known, I like all of Nolan's work. Momento is a good movie, but I don't personally think it reached the level that Inception did. I didn't spend any time after Momento trying to dissect the story. It didn't capture my imagination. It was just a movie that I found enjoyable, not necessarily an experience.

I put Batman Begins at the bottom because that's where I think it belongs. I enjoyed it, to be sure, but of all of his films, it is the one that I think the least of. Not that I won't watch it again - I surely will. But there's not much to it once you've seen it once.
I actually did miss this post. Very nice. Memento captured me the first time I saw it the same way that Inception captured you. But I can see where you're coming from, for the most part. Inception is really an amazing piece of work. I do wish it had a little more heart - or at least a little more to offer on the emotional side of things. Because the intellectual stuff is there. In spades. I can't wait to see it again.

I'm not sure if I would put Batman Begins at the bottom or not. But it would certainly be closer to the bottom than the top.

Thanks for the response, TJ.

Taco John
07-29-2010, 06:19 PM
I actually did miss this post. Very nice. Memento captured me the first time I saw it the same way that Inception captured you. But I can see where you're coming from, for the most part. Inception is really an amazing piece of work. I do wish it had a little more heart - or at least a little more to offer on the emotional side of things. Because the intellectual stuff is there. In spades. I can't wait to see it again.

I'm not sure if I would put Batman Begins at the bottom or not. But it would certainly be closer to the bottom than the top.

Thanks for the response, TJ.

I'm guessing that the people who didn't get any emotion (or "heart") out of it probably are people who don't have kids (maybe not even wife - ie. they don't know what it feels like to be half of a whole) and no frame of reference to understand the emotion that is pretty well established in the film. I suppose Nolan could have done a better job, but I personally thought it had plenty of heart. I fully felt how Cobb was broken in the "real" world and had hoped it was all a bad dream. Without a frame of reference for these things, I could see how some might miss that they're even there.

I guess they didn't explore the relationship that he had with his children. They possibly could have done that. Personally, I think that in the context of this movie and what Nolan was trying to accomplish, it might have felt a little forced and been a little trite. As far as I'm concerned, the children were used as symbolism to connect the audience with their own emotions. I made the connection. Someone without children might not.

Red Brooklyn
07-29-2010, 06:22 PM
I don't mean to say that it had no heart. Far from. I just didn't feel as strong of an emotional connection to it as I have other Nolan films. I still adore the movie, and I'd say my criticism is a pretty thin one. For me, the emotional connection is the only thing keeping it from being better than Memento.

FAX
07-31-2010, 01:23 AM
Excellent. Superb. Finally, a good summer flick.

FAX

Deberg_1990
07-31-2010, 08:55 AM
I just didn't feel as strong of an emotional connection to it as I have other Nolan films.

Thats pretty much how i feel.

Taco John
08-02-2010, 02:04 AM

I watched Memento again last night, and still came away with the same answer. The reason is, I felt like I had to suspend disbelief more times during Memento than I did for Inception. During Inception, once you accept that the machine did the dream networking, the rest was all downhill. But during Memento, I felt like so much that was happening was so over the top and a bit forced for the sake of the story. Plus, so much of it was so conveniently coincidental. And that's not even mentioning the over-the-top politics of it.

This all said, it was a good story, and I enjoyed the movie quite a bit. It's a very original, very fresh movie. I'd even call it the "Pulp Fiction" of this decade. That's high praise.

Buck
08-02-2010, 08:11 AM
I just saw it yesterday. Immediately after the first scene with the Old Asian Guy, I realized that it was the young asian guy and that something happened to him in a dream and we'd be getting back to him at the end.

Also that top spun for a long damn time even though it started wobbling. I'm not even going to guess whether it was real or a dream.

Buck
08-02-2010, 08:22 AM
Just got back from seeing it on IMAX.

Inception is a fun film. Pretty breezy and weightless, actually. But certainly fun. It isn't hard to follow at all, not for me anyway. It isn't "complex" as some people have been saying; certainly not intellectually complex. I mean, there is a dream within a dream within a dream within a dream with stuff happening in reality too, all at the same time, but you'd be surprised how simple it is to keep track of it all.

The direction is superb. The cast is packed with quality (DiCaprio! Marion Cotillard! Joseph Gordon-Levitt! Ken Watanabe! Ellen Page! Cillian Murphy! Tom Hardy! Tom Berenger! a Michael Cane cameo!), though only Leo, Cotillard and Murphy get to portray characters of any nuance.

If only all Summer blockbusters were as fun, visually imaginative and well-directed as Inception is.

I think Tom Hardy's character was the coolest one in the film, but you are right about those 3 being the only one's whose backstories you get.

Reaper16
08-14-2010, 01:03 AM
Why didn't Michael Caine just fly DiCaprio's kids out of the U.S. so they could be with their dad?

Deberg_1990
08-14-2010, 12:13 PM
Why didn't Michael Caine just fly DiCaprio's kids out of the U.S. so they could be with their dad?

Because that would have been kidnapping??

Fairplay
08-14-2010, 12:50 PM
I am finally seeing the movie this afternoon.

I mostly ignored this thread as i didn't want any insight on what i would be seeing. Thankfully also the spoilers were properly placed where they need to be so i couldn't accidently read them.

I will weigh in later with my thoughts though i doubt if i would give any new or revolutionary ideas or reactions about it.

Red Brooklyn
08-14-2010, 01:06 PM

Also temporary. The point wasn't just to see the kids, it was to return home to his kids.

Fairplay
08-14-2010, 01:15 PM
Plus i can peek at the spoilers later.

Reaper16
08-14-2010, 03:35 PM
Kidnapping? He's their grandfather. He's their closest relative next to Cobb.

Fairplay
08-14-2010, 07:13 PM
Yes that was a darn good movie. Incredible.

And yes the totem was starting to wobble. I can't see how anyone can deny that point.

The movie is worth another look, plus i didn't see it on IMAX.

The ending song should have been Dream Police by Cheap Trick.

Fairplay
08-14-2010, 07:25 PM
Question: Why did Cillian Murphey have his mind protected?

Did he really not want to know what his dad said?

Plus i didn't quite understand what his dad said anyway. Something about disappointed.

cdcox
08-14-2010, 09:19 PM
Just saw it today. I think thing the top level of reality in the movie was still a dream, and began thinking so about 1/3 of the way through the movie. "Reality" just had too many improbable things going on: the dream machine; the method of connection to the body was very ambiguous (just like it would be in a dream; the improbable story about him not being able to come home that could be fixed by a phone call; his ability to run from guys with guns when he went to meet the con man; the improbable motivation of the powerful businessman. The whole thing felt much more like a dream than reality.

BWillie
08-14-2010, 11:28 PM
Just saw it today. I think thing the top level of reality in the movie was still a dream, and began thinking so about 1/3 of the way through the movie. "Reality" just had too many improbable things going on: the dream machine; the method of connection to the body was very ambiguous (just like it would be in a dream; the improbable story about him not being able to come home that could be fixed by a phone call; his ability to run from guys with guns when he went to meet the con man; the improbable motivation of the powerful businessman. The whole thing felt much more like a dream than reality.

Exactly what I thought as well. And I still don't see why this movie is so amazing? It was fun, and made you think...but it just didn't do it for me as far as one of the elite movies I've ever seen. It was good, but great movies make me want to talk about them the next day. This one didn't.

Red Brooklyn
08-15-2010, 09:52 AM
Question: Why did Cillian Murphey have his mind protected?
I think we're meant to understand that in this world many high powered people have their minds protected. What DiCap & Co are doing is not some fringe, underground thing that no one knows about. Corporations are employing these men, and have been for a while at least, to get inside their competition's heads and steal secrets. I'm guessing most high end execs have had their minds protected.

That's what I got anyway. But I only saw it once and that was when it first came out.

Brock
08-15-2010, 10:02 AM
Exactly what I thought as well. And I still don't see why this movie is so amazing? It was fun, and made you think...but it just didn't do it for me as far as one of the elite movies I've ever seen. It was good, but great movies make me want to talk about them the next day. This one didn't.

I was pretty disappointed as well. I was expecting to be blown away like the first time I saw The Matrix, and it didn't really come close to that.

stevieray
08-15-2010, 10:06 AM
inception wasn't bad...

saw unthinkable the other night. that was like a punch to the gut.

Red Brooklyn
08-15-2010, 10:42 AM
I was pretty disappointed as well. I was expecting to be blown away like the first time I saw The Matrix, and it didn't really come close to that.
I think I like Inception more than The Matrix. But I can see why one would prefer the latter.

Huffmeister
08-16-2010, 03:22 PM
Kidnapping? He's their grandfather. He's their closest relative next to Cobb.
When Cobb called them towards the beginning of the movie, wasn't there a stern-sounding female voice on the line that told them they needed to get off the call? Maybe Mal's mother has custody of the kids and grudgingly allows him to call every once in a while, but wouldn't let Michael Caine take them out of the country.

Of course, I could be completely mis-remembering that scene.

KevB
08-16-2010, 10:07 PM
I saw it last night on an IMAX screen. I thoroughly enjoyed it. A level of complexity to go along with solid action and acting IMO. I really like the cast across the board. I don't have any additional insight beyond what's already been said. Most relevant point thus far in the discussion to me were the comments about his accepting the end as his reality, regardless whether the top stopped spinning. Allowing himself to see his children's faces and "be" in that moment was key.

Pants
08-17-2010, 02:38 PM
This one didn't.

That's certainly on you, bro, and not the movie.

Pants
08-17-2010, 02:39 PM

I think we're just supposed to accept the fact that the machines are real and that is how they work in that world.

MTG#10
11-27-2010, 08:40 PM
Just watched the Blu-Ray, excellent picture. Am I the only one that thought this movie was a steaming pile of shit?

KcMizzou
11-27-2010, 08:48 PM
Just watched the Blu-Ray, excellent picture. Am I the only one that thought this movie was a steaming pile of shit?Pretty much.

Guru
11-27-2010, 10:59 PM
The blu ray doesn't come out until December 7th.

-King-
11-28-2010, 08:58 AM
The blu ray doesn't come out until December 7th.

ROFL So another MTG13 lie?
Posted via Mobile Device

MTG#10
11-28-2010, 09:40 AM
ROFL So another MTG13 lie?
Posted via Mobile Device

What have I lied about? Just because you dont believe my crazy life stories it doesnt make them any less true.

And Ive had the Blu-Ray for almost a week. Its called usenet fool.

Pants
11-28-2010, 11:52 AM
Just watched the Blu-Ray, excellent picture. Am I the only one that thought this movie was a steaming pile of shit?

I'm surprised you didn't like it. I thought we had similar tastes after you listed Deadwood, BOB and Rome in the memory loss thread. Inception was the best movie I saw in 2010 and it's not even close.

BigMeatballDave
11-28-2010, 11:55 AM
And Ive had the Blu-Ray for almost a week. Its called usenet fool.Usenet? What is this?

MTG#10
11-28-2010, 12:32 PM
I'm surprised you didn't like it. I thought we had similar tastes after you listed Deadwood, BOB and Rome in the memory loss thread. Inception was the best movie I saw in 2010 and it's not even close.

I think maybe I just wasnt in the right mood when I watched it. Sometimes if I have a lot on my mind I cant get into a movie, and Ive been dealing with a lot of shit the last few days. I'll watch it again in a week or two.

Usenet? What is this?

http://www.giganews.com/usenet-university/

Guru
12-03-2010, 11:40 PM
3 disk Blu ray/DVD/Digital copy is available for pre order on Amazon for $17.99 right now.

Miles
12-04-2010, 01:29 AM
What have I lied about? Just because you dont believe my crazy life stories it doesnt make them any less true.

And Ive had the Blu-Ray for almost a week. Its called usenet fool.

The blu-ray with its lossless audio track and high bitrate video?

Miles
12-04-2010, 01:31 AM
3 disk Blu ray/DVD/Digital copy is available for pre order on Amazon for $17.99 right now.

Likely going to buy this and you are the deal guy. Almost never by movies these days. That much cheaper than what we can expect on local sales?

Guru
12-04-2010, 04:05 AM
Likely going to buy this and you are the deal guy. Almost never by movies these days. That much cheaper than what we can expect on local sales?You won't find it cheaper than that on release week and probably not again until next Black Friday.

Deberg_1990
12-07-2010, 02:58 PM
OK, this is cool....All of Inceptions levels in real time.

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MHBlYJ-tKcs&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MHBlYJ-tKcs&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

Pestilence
12-07-2010, 03:04 PM

Or you can go to Target and pick it up for $17.99 and have it right now.

Just sayin...

Molitoth
12-07-2010, 03:13 PM
First off, I'm a huge fan of Momento and anything lumped near the genre of having to use your brain. I haven't seen Inception yet, but I already know I am going to love it.

With that said, what did you guys think of these movies.....

*The 13th Floor
*Dark City
*Vanilla Sky

Pestilence
12-07-2010, 03:14 PM
Dark City was such an awesome and underrated movie.

I haven't seen the other two though.

Brock
12-07-2010, 03:36 PM
First off, I'm a huge fan of Momento and anything lumped near the genre of having to use your brain. I haven't seen Inception yet, but I already know I am going to love it.

*The 13th Floor
*Dark City
*Vanilla Sky

13th Floor is one of those movies I don't think is great. Dark City was great, and Vanilla Sky tried to be. They're all worth watching.

Pants
12-07-2010, 03:37 PM

*The 13th Floor
*Dark City
*Vanilla Sky

Haven't seen Dark City. The 13th Floor was pretty OK but not nearly as much of a mind-fuck as Vanilla Sky.

keg in kc
12-07-2010, 03:47 PM
I love Dark City to this day. I remember loving the 13th Floor, although I think I've only seen it once. Vanilla Sky I've never seen. Not a big fan of Tom Cruise.

siberian khatru
12-07-2010, 03:56 PM

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MHBlYJ-tKcs&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MHBlYJ-tKcs&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

Whoa. / keanu

Pants
12-07-2010, 04:00 PM
I love Dark City to this day. I remember loving the 13th Floor, although I think I've only seen it once. Vanilla Sky I've never seen. Not a big fan of Tom Cruise.

I think you would like Vanilla Sky. It's not really sci-fi like The 13th Floor but it'll make you think for sure. Also, the soundtrack is amazing.

I also think you would love Minority Report. Tom Cruise might be bat-shit crazy, but he's a pretty good actor.

Huffmeister
12-07-2010, 04:12 PM
I also think you would love Minority Report. Tom Cruise might be bat-shit crazy, but he's a pretty good actor.

Minority Report is a very good, very underrated movie.

Molitoth
12-07-2010, 05:18 PM
Yes, The Minority Report was fantastic.

If you like mindfuck's and haven't seen Vanilla Sky, I highly suggest it. And pants is right, the soundtrack is one of the best ever.

Molitoth
12-07-2010, 05:20 PM
Personally I loved The Thirteenth Floor, a great movie that got highly overlooked due to The Matrix coming out the same year.

Guru
12-07-2010, 07:50 PM
Or you can go to Target and pick it up for $17.99 and have it right now.

Just sayin...

I got the better deal. It was sitting on my front porch when I woke up this afternoon. Amazon Prime FTW

Guru
12-07-2010, 07:56 PM

Thats pretty damn cool.

BigMeatballDave
12-08-2010, 05:02 AM
Rented this last night. OMG! Loved it. Fucking LOVED it!

beach tribe
12-08-2010, 07:03 AM
Rented this last night. OMG! Loved it. ****ing LOVED it!

Yeah, It's Fn cool.

Simply Red
12-08-2010, 07:20 AM
Rented this last night. OMG! Loved it. ****ing LOVED it!

I don't know what is wrong with me w/ my 'movie takes'

Miles
12-09-2010, 11:07 PM
Just got the blu ray in the mail and watched the first scene. Hell of a nice audio track.

Deberg_1990
12-10-2010, 07:32 AM
Just got the blu ray in the mail and watched the first scene. Hell of a nice audio track.

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film3/blu-ray_reviews53/inception_blu-ray.htm

Audio :
The audio track is likewise very impressive - we get a DTS-HD Master 5.1 at a robust 3678 kbps. Inception is filled with effect sounds that are well separated and radiate throughout the room... with conviction. Hans Zimmer's score (the director's 3rd collaboration with the composer - having worked on Batman Begins and The Dark Knight) is self-described as "a very electronic score" and it can sound especially detailed in the higher end with crisp notes and a tight, controlled musical expression. Zimmer intended some playfulness and it filters through often sounding less rigid and more bouncy. It is supported exceptionally well by the lossless track. There are optional subtitles and my Momitsu has identified it as being a region FREE disc playable on Blu-ray machines worldwide.

Sure-Oz
12-11-2010, 02:00 AM
I got the better deal. It was sitting on my front porch when I woke up this afternoon. Amazon Prime FTW

Thats what i had to at the same price...amazon prime free ftw

Guru
12-11-2010, 02:17 AM
Thats what i had to at the same price...amazon prime free ftwI'm going to hate it when my free Prime runs out next month. There is no way I would pay the $80 they are asking for it. I just don't order enough stuff during the entire year to account for it.

Frazod
12-12-2010, 01:11 PM
Watched it last night. Very good movie, extremely reminiscent of 13th Floor (as previously mentioned).

BigMeatballDave
12-13-2010, 06:42 PM
Watched it last night. Very good movie, extremely reminiscent of 13th Floor (as previously mentioned).More like The Matrix to me, only eleventybillion times better.

Pants
12-13-2010, 07:10 PM
More like The Matrix to me, only eleventybillion times better.
The Matrix didn't put my brain in overdrive like Inception did after the 1st viewing.

I compare The 13th Floor to Vanilla Sky more, as they both go into the same "mind****" category for me.

All 4 of those movies do have the "questioning reality" bit to them, though. That's always a good time.

Frazod
12-13-2010, 08:56 PM
More like The Matrix to me, only eleventybillion times better.

No, it wasn't. Not even close.

BigMeatballDave
12-14-2010, 07:43 PM
No, it wasn't. Not even close.The Matrix came to mind while I was watching it. Inception, of course, was much, much better.

BigMeatballDave
12-14-2010, 07:47 PM
The Matrix didn't put my brain in overdrive like Inception did after the 1st viewing.

I compare The 13th Floor to Vanilla Sky more, as they both go into the same "mind****" category for me.

All 4 of those movies do have the "questioning reality" bit to them, though. That's always a good time.I need to watch The Thirteenth Floor again. Its been several yrs since the last time.

Molitoth
12-17-2010, 08:19 AM
I just watched eXitenZ the other night and it was absolutly terrible!

Pants
12-17-2010, 12:42 PM
I just watched eXitenZ the other night and it was absolutly terrible!

LOL... All I really remember from eXistenZ is the "tooth" gun.

Pants
12-17-2010, 12:46 PM
1408 - HUGE mindfuck. If you haven't seen it and you want to get mindfucked, I suggest you watch it. The movie is not very good, but the mindfuck is of epic proportions.

Primer - will bend your mind and probably leave you very confused. One of the best 'realistic' time travel movies ever done. I also recommend that one if you like your movies to make your brain work overtime.

Huffmeister
12-17-2010, 12:52 PM

The tooooooth.... remember the TOOOOOOTHHHH!!!!

Oh wait, wrong movie. Carry on.

Molitoth
12-17-2010, 05:32 PM

Yeah VERY awful....

people online were actually comparing this movie to The Thirteenth Floor...

I mean, the plot was somewhat similar, but the acting/production/script was nowhere near as good as The 13th floor.

Priest31kc
12-18-2010, 01:06 AM
Just saw it for the first time.....absolutely loved it like I thought I would. Wanted to see it badly when it was in theaters but never did. Got the blu ray for my B Day!

Third Eye
12-18-2010, 01:15 AM
The Matrix came to mind while I was watching it. Inception, of course, was much, much better.

Can't agree with this. Inception was a very well executed movie in every regard and a thoroughly enjoyable ride, but the Matrix has much more depth.

Molitoth
01-06-2011, 08:57 PM
OMFG just watched finally! I was very impressed, deff one of my top 5 movies of ALL TIME.

Otter
01-07-2011, 10:08 AM
I purposely haven't read one post in this thread because I haven't seen it yet. I'm watching it tonight 8ish and greatly look forward to digging in.

WebGem
01-07-2011, 04:33 PM
Never seen this before, but I didn't start watching movies until like 2 weeks ago. Just popped it in gonna watch it before the LSU game.

WebGem
01-07-2011, 04:34 PM
I purposely haven't read one post in this thread because I haven't seen it yet. I'm watching it tonight 8ish and greatly look forward to digging in.

Dude WTF. WATCH THE LSU TAMU GAME!!!!!!! Watch this later.

KcMizzou
01-07-2011, 05:15 PM
Never seen this before, but I didn't start watching movies until like 2 weeks ago. Just popped it in gonna watch it before the LSU game.:spock:

WebGem
01-07-2011, 05:17 PM
:spock:

Yeah I know. It's probably more like 2 months now, but feels like 2 weeks. I never used to watch movies at all, unless I was on a date. Then one day I randomly rented a movie from a Redbox at Walgreens and started renting like 4-5 a week.

DaneMcCloud
01-07-2011, 05:41 PM
I finally got around to watching this film on Christmas day. I think it's best film I've seen in the past 30 years or more. The idea of shared dreams and dream levels was amazing to see on film. I can't tell you guys how many times I've been on level three before (Dream within a dream within a dream) and to see that onscreen was mind-blowing.

The score was utterly epic. I don't know what happened to Hans Zimmer but he had an awakening during the Dark Knight sessions. Many of his previous scores were butt cheese and just twists on the Gladiator theme (Pearl Harbor was the biggest ripoff - a slowed down version of Gladiator's main motif). If I hadn't known that it was Zimmer that scored this film, I'd have never guessed.

The sound design was amazing and the cinematography very, very good as well. To feel as if we were in a "dream state" watching it but without a "clown mirror" type feeling was something I'd never dreamed possible in a motion picture. Nolan really pushed the limits in this film and we'll all be fortunate if he can ever duplicate or top this film.

As for the ending, I believe Leo was back in the real world. The top was beginning to wobble, he saw his children's faces and it felt more "real" than the dream world. I think if Nolan was intentionally trying to leave the ending ambiguous, he'd have had Michael Caine walk over to the top and grab it from the table, just as Leo was heading outside with his children. But the mere fact that it was beginning to fall was good enough indicator for me. I didn't need it spelled out.

Guru
01-07-2011, 05:53 PM
But the kids were wearing the same clothes from his dreams and never aged.

Pants
01-07-2011, 05:58 PM
I think the legacy of The Matrix was ruined for me by Matrix 2 and Matrix 3. I just can't take that story seriously now. I can't even compare Inception to Matrix even though the mind-fuck is basically the same.

Molitoth
01-07-2011, 06:15 PM
I finally got around to watching this film on Christmas day. I think it's best film I've seen in the past 30 years or more. The idea of shared dreams and dream levels was amazing to see on film. I can't tell you guys how many times I've been on level three before (Dream within a dream within a dream) and to see that onscreen was mind-blowing.

The score was utterly epic. I don't know what happened to Hans Zimmer but he had an awakening during the Dark Knight sessions. Many of his previous scores were butt cheese and just twists on the Gladiator theme (Pearl Harbor was the biggest ripoff - a slowed down version of Gladiator's main motif). If I hadn't known that it was Zimmer that scored this film, I'd have never guessed.

The sound design was amazing and the cinematography very, very good as well. To feel as if we were in a "dream state" watching it but without a "clown mirror" type feeling was something I'd never dreamed possible in a motion picture. Nolan really pushed the limits in this film and we'll all be fortunate if he can ever duplicate or top this film.

As for the ending, I believe Leo was back in the real world. The top was beginning to wobble, he saw his children's faces and it felt more "real" than the dream world. I think if Nolan was intentionally trying to leave the ending ambiguous, he'd have had Michael Caine walk over to the top and grab it from the table, just as Leo was heading outside with his children. But the mere fact that it was beginning to fall was good enough indicator for me. I didn't need it spelled out.

^^This. Thanks for writing up my thoughts Dane. lol.

Oh yes, the night I watched this film I for the first time had a dream within a dream. At one point during the night I woke up and thought I was still dreaming and it freaked me out.

The thing about this movie that I cannot say about hardly any movie I ever watch is... "I cannot wait to watch it again!"

-King-
01-08-2011, 10:49 AM
But the kids were wearing the same clothes from his dreams and never aged.

I read an interview by one of the warddrobe people of the movie and they said that the clothes were different.

I still don't know though. I tend to believe he was in the real world because of the wobble by the top, but still...
Posted via Mobile Device

Guru
01-08-2011, 01:07 PM
I read an interview by one of the warddrobe people of the movie and they said that the clothes were different.

I still don't know though. I tend to believe he was in the real world because of the wobble by the top, but still...
Posted via Mobile Device

must have been real subtle about it then because I didn't see any difference at all. The other thing I never picked up on was the time frame from the suicide to getting his kids back. How much time passed?

KcMizzou
01-08-2011, 01:40 PM
Both Nolan and his costume designer have confirmed resoundingly that Cobb’s kids are wearing different clothes at the end of the film (and, more important, that they are, in fact, older), and we ourselves could never quite understand why some people were convinced the kids were wearing the same clothes. But now that we’ve been able to put these shots side by side, we have to say: While the kids are in fact wearing different clothes (and, most definitely, different shoes), somebody (ahem) clearly wanted to keep things a bit uncertain.

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/upload/2010/12/six_things_we_learned_from_the/kids-inception.jpg

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2010/12/six_things_we_learned_from_the.html

Reaper16
01-08-2011, 03:07 PM
http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/upload/2010/12/six_things_we_learned_from_the/kids-inception.jpg

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2010/12/six_things_we_learned_from_the.html
Not good enough, not by a long shot. The shot-by-shot comparison needs to be with the scenes where Cobb sees his kids from behind, but can't see their faces, aka when he had to flee the country. THAT is when the kids were wearing the same clothes.

BigMeatballDave
01-08-2011, 04:40 PM
I can't tell you guys how many times I've been on level three before (Dream within a dream within a dream) and to see that onscreen was mind-blowing.

Seriously? I didnt even think that was even possible. I rarely ever remember my dreams.

DaneMcCloud
01-08-2011, 04:51 PM
Seriously? I didnt even think that was even possible. I rarely ever remember my dreams.

Completely serious.

I've had many dreams where I realized it was a dream, only to wake up in another dream. Later in those dreams, I realized that I was still dreaming and finally woke up.

Many times, I've either avoided death in a dream, only to wake up in a dream and be happy that I was alive, or I've "died" in a dream, only to wake up in another dream and say "Whew, how did I get out of that?", which of course, led to another dream.

This is why the movie was so amazing to me because the idea of dreaming on several levels is so familiar to me.

Pants
01-08-2011, 04:58 PM
Completely serious.

I've had many dreams where I realized it was a dream, only to wake up in another dream. Later in those dreams, I realized that I was still dreaming and finally woke up.

Many times, I've either avoided death in a dream, only to wake up in a dream and be happy that I was alive, or I've "died" in a dream, only to wake up in another dream and say "Whew, how did I get out of that?", which of course, led to another dream.

This is why the movie was so amazing to me because the idea of dreaming on several levels is so familiar to me.

I've woken up from a dream while still dreaming on a few occasions, but I have never experienced the other stuff you described.

BigMeatballDave
01-08-2011, 05:04 PM
Completely serious.

This is why the movie was so amazing to me because the idea of dreaming on several levels is so familiar to me.Wow. I'm missing out. :)

Guru
01-08-2011, 08:48 PM
Completely serious.

I have dreams within dreams all the time.

BigMeatballDave
01-08-2011, 08:59 PM
I have dreams within dreams all the time.WTF is wrong with me? Not only do I rarely remember my dreams, but if I do remember something its vague at best.

DaneMcCloud
01-08-2011, 09:06 PM
WTF is wrong with me? Not only do I rarely remember my dreams, but if I do remember something its vague at best.

Well, you probably sleep better than I do.

When I have dreams within dreams within dreams, I'm usually exhausted the next day.

Guru
01-08-2011, 09:12 PM
Well, you probably sleep better than I do.

When I have dreams within dreams within dreams, I'm usually exhausted the next day.

Yep, the more vivid the dream the less rested I feel.

Buck
01-08-2011, 09:24 PM
Just read your write up Dane.

I only saw this movie once, in the theaters. I didn't think the top started to wobble. Did it 100% without a doubt start to wobble?

Buck
01-08-2011, 09:27 PM
I just saw it yesterday. Immediately after the first scene with the Old Asian Guy, I realized that it was the young asian guy and that something happened to him in a dream and we'd be getting back to him at the end.

Also that top spun for a long damn time even though it started wobbling. I'm not even going to guess whether it was real or a dream.

OOOPS, Nevermind.

I guess I need to see it again. I don't remember it well enough.

Buck
01-08-2011, 11:04 PM
I was sitting here in disbelief thinking I was going crazy looking at that picture of the kids.

Shutter Island Spoilers in here
I kept thinking to myself, "I thought his kids died in the movie and his wife killed them," and then I just realized that was Shutter Island not Inception.

nstygma
01-08-2011, 11:53 PM
Not good enough, not by a long shot. The shot-by-shot comparison needs to be with the scenes where Cobb sees his kids from behind, but can't see their faces, aka when he had to flee the country. THAT is when the kids were wearing the same clothes.
here ya go
http://i.min.us/idFmNw.jpg

Just read your write up Dane.

I only saw this movie once, in the theaters. I didn't think the top started to wobble. Did it 100% without a doubt start to wobble?it did begin to wobble slightly. i thought the sound effect of wobbling was more pronounced than the top showed
here's the last frame of the movie
http://i.min.us/idAQiY.jpg

DaneMcCloud
01-09-2011, 12:12 AM
This isn't a puzzle.

For those you that are obsessing as to whether or not the final sequence was a "dream" or not, you're missing the entire message of the film:

Know when to move on.

Cobb had enough. He confronted his demons while executing the perfect heist. He's ready to move forward with his life and the tragedy of his wife's death is in his past.

This movie was amazing in so many different ways yet members here seems to be obsessing as to whether or not the final scene was "real".

:shake:

The character's journey (in this case. Cobb) is really and truly all that matters.

keg in kc
01-09-2011, 12:13 AM
I can't relate to all this dreaming talk. The downside of sleeping the way that I do is that I almost never dream. :(

Still loved the movie though. It's one of my inaugural bluray purchases.

Buck
01-09-2011, 02:38 AM
I can't relate to all this dreaming talk. The downside of sleeping the way that I do is that I almost never dream. :(

Still loved the movie though. It's one of my inaugural bluray purchases.

Hanging from your feet in a catacomb?

bowener
01-09-2011, 02:59 AM
What interested me most in the film is the fact that Leo's character uses his wife's totem.

How could he possibly know the original or "real" weight (unless he handled it in reality)?

Also, his kids don't age much.

All in all, he was happy where he was.

KcMizzou
01-09-2011, 03:06 AM
Hanging from your feet in a catacomb?
LMAO

BigMeatballDave
01-09-2011, 07:24 PM
I had a dream last night that I bought a motorcycle and I was riding it. I recall being scared shitless and wondering why the fuck I bought a motorcycle. :)

Guru
01-09-2011, 09:26 PM
This isn't a puzzle.

For those you that are obsessing as to whether or not the final sequence was a "dream" or not, you're missing the entire message of the film:

Know when to move on.

Cobb had enough. He confronted his demons while executing the perfect heist. He's ready to move forward with his life and the tragedy of his wife's death is in his past.

This movie was amazing in so many different ways yet members here seems to be obsessing as to whether or not the final scene was "real".

The character's journey (in this case. Cobb) is really and truly all that matters.

I just love pissing people off with my interpretation of it. :evil: I'm just having fun with it.

Molitoth
01-10-2011, 08:56 AM
I watched the movie again for the second time last night and must reitterate that this is one of the best, if not THE BEST movie of all time...... to me. Then again, some of my other fav movies are: Vanilla Sky, The Matrix, Dark City, and The Thirteenth Floor in which fit right in this category.

The movie is near flawless except for a couple of action scenes that make you think to yourself "how did anyone NOT get shot?". Specifically the street shootout scene where they were stuck in the cab... how nobody got shot was beyond me.

Both times I finished this film I was completley floored. I still can't believe they pulled this off, and like someone said earlier, its going to be extremley hard to top.

Molitoth
01-10-2011, 08:57 AM
This isn't a puzzle.

Know when to move on.

Nailed it!!!

-King-
01-11-2011, 04:13 PM
Got bored and wanted to see how much of a difference there was in his kids clothes...

http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/2601/captureewr.jpg

nstygma
01-12-2011, 12:22 AM
Got bored and wanted to see how much of a difference there was in his kids clothes...me too, 10 posts ago :doh!:

beach tribe
01-12-2011, 09:17 AM
Completely serious.

I've had TONS of them. Usually the layered dreams for me are the lucid ones. And I had a few after watching this movie. I like when you try to convince the people in your dreams that they are just dream characters. They either laugh or get pissed, and then you have to show them that you can fly or whatever, and then they FREAK OUT. Weird shit.
I've had many lucid dreams, but it's still enough to count on both hands. It is without a doubt the most incredible experience one could ever have. I pray for lucid dreams, and then when I realize I'm in one, I try to get the most out of it as possible, because I know it's never long enough.

For those of you who liked this movie, check out Waking Life. Not quite on this level, but a good one, and a thinker.

-King-
01-12-2011, 02:26 PM
me too, 10 posts ago :doh!:

Oh FUCK!

:cuss:
Posted via Mobile Device

Otter
01-20-2011, 10:13 AM
Got a chance to watch it last night finally.

This is one of those movies that despite avoiding reading and talking about as much as possible I received too much input on. Seeing it seven months after release didn't help either. This lead to preconceived notions that the movie was mind bender that I'd be thinking about for awhile after trying to put pieces together and looking up on the internet like I did with "Memento", "The Fountain" and "Antichrist". Well as we know by now with the exception of the final scene it's pretty much straight forward. Not saying that's a bad thing just not what I was expecting which probably led to a some, but not much disappointment.

My only other quips with the movie itself was the way the third layer was setup and when Eames says "dream larger" and pulls out the grenade launcher created by will. The whole skiing while shooting, white cammo setup was a little too GI Joe and James Bond-ish for my taste and if Eames could conjure a grenade launcher at will, well, that just opens up a huge can of worms on why he didn't make things a whole lot easier for everyone if he possesses that ability.

Overall damn cool and entertaining movie and I do believe Cobb was in reality at the final scene. 8/10

EDIT: figured out the wife part

Huffmeister
01-20-2011, 01:46 PM
My only other quips with the movie itself was the way the third layer was setup and when Eames says "dream larger" and pulls out the grenade launcher created by will. The whole skiing while shooting, white cammo setup was a little too GI Joe and James Bond-ish for my taste and if Eames could conjure a grenade launcher at will, well, that just opens up a huge can of worms on why he didn't make things a whole lot easier for everyone if he possesses that ability.
I don't think Eames had the ability to conjure up anything he could think of at will, I think that was part of the weeks/months of preparation. Kind of like preparing a load-out of weaponry before the mission, and he was chiding Arthur for not preparing adequately (ie, dreaming large enough).

-King-
01-20-2011, 02:16 PM

ROFL I wanted to make this same post a few days ago, but then I thought...nahh, thats just nit picking. But it's really interesting. It makes no sense that he can apparently conjure up what he wants and that he can appear to look like other people, yet they had all that trouble planting the idea.

OnTheWarpath58
01-22-2011, 01:17 PM
Finally watched this last night. Made the mistake of enjoying a bit too much bourbon along with it, so sorry if this is a stupid question, but:

As the van is in freefall, the zero-gravity carries over to the next level, in the hotel.

Why does it not carry over to the next (Mountain Compound) level?

Talisman
01-22-2011, 08:12 PM
Finally watched this last night. Made the mistake of enjoying a bit too much bourbon along with it, so sorry if this is a stupid question, but:

As the van is in freefall, the zero-gravity carries over to the next level, in the hotel.

Why does it not carry over to the next (Mountain Compound) level?

Good question. I found this on an Inception FAQ page on imdb:

Firstly, we know that the effects of one level have stronger effects on their proceeding level than any after that which is why Saito feels less pain from his gunshot wounds as he gets deeper. Level three is therefore less likely to feel the effects of level one. Secondly, the dreamers in Level one (Specifically Arthur, because Level Two is Arthur's dream) are feeling a zero-gravity drop which causes Level Two to lose gravity. However the dreamers in Level Two, (Specifically Eames because Level Three is his dream) aren't FEELING zero-gravity, they're EXPERIENCING a lack of gravity. It's the movement that affects the dreamer not the experience and thus, because the dreamers probably can't feel this weightlessness when they're asleep, it won't affect their dream.

Lzen
01-22-2011, 09:51 PM
Wow, just watched this movie. Very cool and now my mind hurts. Naw, actually like Otter says, it was pretty straight forward. But I did find myself thinking a lot during the movie trying to understand everything that was going on. That was a whole lot of stuff pieced together like a symphony. Amazing cinematography. Why can't Hollywood do more stuff like this? Instead we get talk of another remake of a classic movie.

On a side note, I notice several people say they can do dream within a dream. I don't remember if I have ever done that. But I do remember when I was a kid I would always dream that I could fly all around like Superman (but it was mostly my neighborhood) and my name was some bizarre name. I have no idea WTF that meant but it was weird and cool at the same time.

Guru
01-22-2011, 10:27 PM
Wow, just watched this movie. Very cool and now my mind hurts. Naw, actually like Otter says, it was pretty straight forward. But I did find myself thinking a lot during the movie trying to understand everything that was going on. That was a whole lot of stuff pieced together like a symphony. Amazing cinematography. Why can't Hollywood do more stuff like this? Instead we get talk of another remake of a classic movie.

On a side note, I notice several people say they can do dream within a dream. I don't remember if I have ever done that. But I do remember when I was a kid I would always dream that I could fly all around like Superman (but it was mostly my neighborhood) and my name was some bizarre name. I have no idea WTF that meant but it was weird and cool at the same time.

You mean like you did at the Bash that one year?

Lzen
01-23-2011, 01:12 PM
You mean like you did at the Bash that one year?

Ha ha ha ha........wait........what?

Pants
01-23-2011, 02:36 PM

I used to get the flying dreams as a kid as well. Those are by far the best dreams I have ever experienced and they are always vivid, in fact, I can still to this day remember every single one like it was an actual experience in my life. As I grew older they got increasingly rarer to the point where I don't get them any more.

listopencil
02-11-2011, 10:18 PM
This isn't a puzzle.

Know when to move on.

I just watched this film for the first time last night, and I let my kids watch it tonight. I tend to "prescreen" movies for my younger kids. I'm not sure how to say this exactly so I'll make a list:

1) my young kids are a 15 year old girl and a 13 year old boy
2) they had no problem following the story, they understood the plot as did I
3) the first comment either of them made when it ended was from my daughter, she said turned to me and said,"the top was wobbling."
4) we all thought it was a great movie, one of the best in recent memory

bowener
03-16-2011, 02:49 PM
My friend just emailed me this:

http://i.imgur.com/QhFlH.png

Pretty awesome.

I'm not sure if I mentioned it in here, but when the movie ended I told my girlfriend that Cobb couldn't ever know as long as he was using Mal's top as a totem.

Guru
03-16-2011, 07:24 PM
My friend just emailed me this:

http://i.imgur.com/QhFlH.png

Pretty awesome.

I'm not sure if I mentioned it in here, but when the movie ended I told my girlfriend that Cobb couldn't ever know as long as he was using Mal's top as a totem.

Then why the hell would he be so concerned with spinning the top everytime he wakes up.

bowener
03-16-2011, 10:18 PM
Then why the hell would he be so concerned with spinning the top everytime he wakes up.

That is what I wondered throughout the film. It is made clear that it is her totem many times... I guess to throw off the viewer perhaps??

-King-
03-17-2011, 04:12 PM

Maybe subconsciously he thinks the top will work on him too?

Speaking of totems..Anyone ever figure out what the hell Ariadne's totem was supposed to do? A chess piece with a hole in it? Whats the functionality of it?

chopper
03-17-2011, 04:21 PM

Speaking of totems..Anyone ever figure out what the hell Ariadne's totem was supposed to do? A chess piece with a hole in it? Whats the functionality of it?

What was the functionality of any of the totems? I thought they were just personal items that only they knew the weight of. Do I need to watch this movie again?
Posted via Mobile Device

Guru
03-17-2011, 04:27 PM

When you knock her totem over it will always roll to the same position after it falls.

-King-
03-17-2011, 04:38 PM
When you knock her totem over it will always roll to the same position after it falls.

So in a dream, it would keep rolling? Or would stop at a random position?

Another totem question: WHY do they work? Why would a top keep spinning in a person's dream? Wouldn't the dreamer want the dream to be as normal as possible, therefor making the top fall?

Guru
03-17-2011, 05:06 PM
So in a dream, it would keep rolling? Or would stop at a random position?

Another totem question: WHY do they work? Why would a top keep spinning in a person's dream? Wouldn't the dreamer want the dream to be as normal as possible, therefor making the top fall?

I would assume in a dream it would always be a random position while in the real world it would always land in the same position.

I do agree with you questioning why the totem is a good method at all because your mind would make it real in a sense.

BigMeatballDave
03-17-2011, 05:19 PM
Over-analyze much? :)

Read Danes post.

-King-
03-17-2011, 05:42 PM
Over-analyze much? :)

Read Danes post.

Yeah....Danes post has nothing to do with my questions.

BigMeatballDave
03-17-2011, 05:45 PM
Yeah....Danes post has nothing to do with my questions.Sure it does. The film is pretty cut and dried. Move on, dude. :p