PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV The Expendables

Coach
07-13-2010, 05:04 AM
This one looks promising, based of the overwhelmingly positive reaction to early test footage and trailers.

The film pays tribute to the blockbuster action films of the 1980s and early '90's, and stars an array of action veterans from those decades, including Sylvester Stallone, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Bruce Willis, Dolph Lundgren, Mickey Rourke, and Jet Li, as well as more recent stars such as Jason Statham, Terry Crews, Randy Couture, and Stone Cold Steve Austin.

Who's thinking of seeing this movie?

tyton75
07-13-2010, 05:15 AM
Don't forget that Machete is in it too.. the big Mexican guy with the tatoo on his chest.

I'm looking forward to seeing it

JD10367
07-13-2010, 06:40 AM
How could anyone who grew up watching those guys in action flicks NOT want to see it? Even though many are eligible for their AARP cards, at least they have style.

InChiefsHell
07-13-2010, 07:04 AM
NO WAY am I missing this one...

luv
07-13-2010, 08:02 AM
I'm pretty sure it will get lame reviews, but I'm looking forward to it.

Consistent1
07-13-2010, 08:02 AM
I have been looking forward to it. The sad thing is this kind of deal has potential for disappointment written all over it. We shall see.

irishjayhawk
07-13-2010, 07:10 PM
Superb Marketing. They released a sort of attack trailer:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dMDC76D9l94&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dMDC76D9l94&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

KcMizzou
07-13-2010, 07:25 PM
LMAO

That is awesome. "Not off your torrents. In a fucking theater."

I'll go see it in a theater for that alone. Gotta love the direct approach. LMAO

InChiefsHell
07-14-2010, 05:56 AM
Buckets of fucking awesome! I'm THERE!

Sofa King
07-14-2010, 09:35 AM
I put this in my phone as an alarm several months ago... I've never put anything else in my phone scheduler... that's how awesome this movie will be.

Guru
07-14-2010, 01:53 PM

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dMDC76D9l94&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dMDC76D9l94&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Damn Youtube for pulling all these damn videos.

Deberg_1990
07-14-2010, 09:48 PM
Those trailers kick ass. Brilliant campaign.

Men unite........take back whats rightfully ours!!!

WV
07-14-2010, 09:49 PM
I put this in my phone as an alarm several months ago... I've never put anything else in my phone scheduler... that's how awesome this movie will be.

Way to confirm you have absolutely no life there Sofa!LMAO

Halfcan
07-14-2010, 09:50 PM
This one looks promising, based of the overwhelmingly positive reaction to early test footage and trailers.

The film pays tribute to the blockbuster action films of the 1980s and early '90's, and stars an array of action veterans from those decades, including Sylvester Stallone, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Bruce Willis, Dolph Lundgren, Mickey Rourke, and Jet Li, as well as more recent stars such as Jason Statham, Terry Crews, Randy Couture, and Stone Cold Steve Austin.

Who's thinking of seeing this movie?

I have seen every Jet Li movie on opening night since his debut in Leth Weapon 3

He would not be in it unless it is going to kick ass. Jet could probably kick all those guys asses at once.

Guru
07-14-2010, 09:52 PM
I have seen every Jet Li movie on opening night since his debut in Leth Weapon 3

He would not be in it unless it is going to kick ass. Jet could probably kick all those guys asses at once.Good thing Martin Riggs won't be in it then.

Deberg_1990
07-14-2010, 09:54 PM
Good thing Martin Riggs won't be in it then.

I heard Wolverine makes a cameo

InChiefsHell
07-15-2010, 06:08 AM
Good thing Martin Riggs won't be in it then.

Yeah, cuz Riggs would make Jet Li suck his cock before the jacuzzi and then burn the house DOWN!!!

Sofa King
07-15-2010, 09:39 AM
Way to confirm you have absolutely no life there Sofa!LMAO

Ha. i think there's plenty of other reasons that could justify that statement better than 1 scheduled event in my phone!

Count Zarth
07-15-2010, 02:30 PM
fuuuuu******* me

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fncp0sQvBM0&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fncp0sQvBM0&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-14-2010, 11:18 AM
Watched it last night with a buddy. Some of the kills are absolutely awesome. Terry Crews and his AA-12....JFC, just fragging the shit out of motherfuckers.

There were a lot of ridiculous laughs, and it was nice to see some of the guys "jobbing" for their peers. It was a little slow through the first 40 minutes, but after that, it was a fucking orgy of violence.

Baby Lee
08-14-2010, 02:38 PM
fuuuuu******* me

Am I missing something, or did a green band trailer just have F U C K I N G in large block letters in it?

Deberg_1990
08-14-2010, 04:14 PM
Watched it last night with a buddy. Some of the kills are absolutely awesome. Terry Crews and his AA-12....JFC, just fragging the shit out of mother****ers.

There were a lot of ridiculous laughs, and it was nice to see some of the guys "jobbing" for their peers. It was a little slow through the first 40 minutes, but after that, it was a ****ing orgy of violence.

That sounds awesome!

Valiant
08-14-2010, 11:13 PM
Watched it last night with a buddy. Some of the kills are absolutely awesome. Terry Crews and his AA-12....JFC, just fragging the shit out of mother****ers.

There were a lot of ridiculous laughs, and it was nice to see some of the guys "jobbing" for their peers. It was a little slow through the first 40 minutes, but after that, it was a ****ing orgy of violence.

Yep and open to a sequel to squeeze in more action stars..

Tribal Warfare
08-14-2010, 11:16 PM
Yep and open to a sequel to squeeze in more action stars..

Here comes Chuck Norris' Karate Kommandos, and the movie in general was badass.

Sure-Oz
08-15-2010, 06:05 AM
I heard that Jean Claude Van Damme was asked to be in it but refused, also chuck norris was rumored

wouldve been interesting

Deberg_1990
08-15-2010, 07:56 AM
I heard that Jean Claude Van Damme was asked to be in it but refused, also chuck norris was rumored

wouldve been interesting

Van Damme, Norris, Seagal and Jackie Chan for the sequel! Cameos by Harrison Ford and Mel Gibson

Tribal Warfare
08-15-2010, 10:36 AM
Van Damme, Norris, Seagal and Jackie Chan for the sequel! Cameos by Harrison Ford and Mel Gibson

Carl Weathers and Jesse Ventura

Tribal Warfare
08-15-2010, 02:29 PM
speaking of man movies, my family's god sons haven't seen Commando, Running Man, or Red Heat. They've seen all of Stalone's movies because they are Italian and idolize him. My jaw dropped, and told them we'll have an Arnold movie marathon to watch the said Schwartzeneggar movies they have never seen that's in my collection.

InChiefsHell
08-15-2010, 08:04 PM
speaking of man movies, my family's god sons haven't seen Commando, Running Man, or Red Heat. They've seen all of Stalone's movies because they are Italian and idolize him. My jaw dropped, and told them we'll have an Arnold movie marathon to watch the said Schwartzeneggar movies they have never seen that's in my collection.

Tell them to..."Stick around"...

Tribal Warfare
08-15-2010, 08:59 PM
Stallone durable at box office with "Expendables" (Reuters) (http://movies.yahoo.com/news/movies.reuters.com/stallone-durable-box-office-with-expendables-reuters?nc)

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Sylvester Stallone outmuscled Julia Roberts at the weekend box office in North America on Sunday to score the biggest opening of his career with his new film "The Expendables."

The action hero's all-star mercenary thriller earned an estimated $35 million across the United States and Canada during its first three days of release, distributor Lionsgate said.

The opening, which was in line with bullish expectations, marks a boost not only for Stallone, who directed and co-wrote the project as well, but also for Lionsgate, whose Lions Gate Entertainment Corp parent is fending off a hostile takeover from investor Carl Icahn.

Julia Roberts, whose career has been almost as cold as Stallone's in recent years, followed at a distant No. 2 with "Eat Pray Love." The big-screen adaptation of a bestselling memoir of a woman's international search for herself, opened with $23.7 million, also in line with expectations.

The female-skewing drama was released by Sony Corp's Columbia Pictures, which topped the box office last weekend with "The Other Guys." The Will Ferrell cop comedy fell to No. 3 with $18 million, taking its 10-day total to $70.5 million.

A third newcomer, the comic-book adaptation "Scott Pilgrim vs. The World," bombed at No. 5 with $10.5 million. It marks the second disappointment this month for General Electric Co-owned distributor Universal Pictures, following "Charlie St. Cloud."

Stallone, 64, was last in theaters with a pair of modest retreads revisiting his glory days, 2008's "Rambo" and 2006's "Rocky Balboa." They opened to $18 million and $12 million, respectively.

His best opening, before accounting for ticket-price inflation was the $33 million start for the children's movie "Spy Kids 3D" in 2003. On an adjusted basis, he did better with a pair of films in 1985: "Rambo: First Blood Part II" and "Rocky IV," with about $45 million each, according to tracking firm Box Office Mojo.

"The Expendables," whose multinational lineup includes English tough guy Jason Statham, Sweden's Dolph Lundgren and Chinese martial-arts veteran Jet Li, revolves around a team of mercenaries who inflict carnage on a fictional South American dictatorship. Bruce Willis and California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger have cameos. Roberts' older brother Eric, from whom the actress was once estranged, plays a villain.

The film was made by independent producer Avi Lerner's Nu Image/Millennium for about $85 million. Lionsgate paid $20 million for distribution rights.

Mile High Mania
08-16-2010, 06:52 AM
I saw it last night ... on a huge XD screen. If you appreciate it for what it is, then you'll enjoy it. It's a great tip of the hat to 80s action films with very little (if any really) over the top CGI to get in the way.

siberian khatru
08-16-2010, 08:23 AM
Tell them to..."Stick around"...

They'll be bock.

Frazod
08-16-2010, 08:25 AM

I don't remember much about Red Heat, other than it had Belushi in it and I didn't really care for it. The other two I liked a lot.

I'm looking forward to seeing The Expendables, but I'll wait for the blu-ray.

Hydrae
08-16-2010, 09:20 AM
Wife and I saw this on Friday. No socially redeeming value whatsoever and I am sure the critics will pan it. But man, what a fun movie! I recommend this to anyone who is looking for a violent shoot 'em up that does not ask you to think.

Best line of the movie:

About the character played by Arnold; "What's his problem?"
"He wants to be president."

Deberg_1990
08-16-2010, 02:00 PM
I don't remember much about Red Heat, other than it had Belushi in it and I didn't really care for it. The other two I liked a lot.

I'm looking forward to seeing The Expendables, but I'll wait for the blu-ray.

Red Heat is a pretty decent flick.

DaneMcCloud
08-16-2010, 02:04 PM
Red Heat is a pretty decent flick.

Really?

I think it's horrible and a complete waste of time. There is absolutely no chemistry between Belushi and Arnold. The story was boring, the acting obvious and overstated and just an all-around piece of shit.

IMO.

Frazod
08-16-2010, 02:27 PM
Really?

I think it's horrible and a complete waste of time. There is absolutely no chemistry between Belushi and Arnold. The story was boring, the acting obvious and overstated and just an all-around piece of shit.

IMO.

That's pretty much how I remember it. It wasn't quite at the level of suck of Conan the Destroyer or Red Sonja, but it was pretty lame.

Bowser
08-16-2010, 02:31 PM
In Red Heat, Ah-Nold was still in Terminator mode - the less he spoke, the "better" the movie.

And I've taken shits that have been more entertaining than Red Sonja. Good Christ.

Deberg_1990
08-16-2010, 02:40 PM
Really?

IMO.

To each his own. Worst Arnie flick from that era is Raw Deal. Where he went undercover as a mobster. Cracks me up just thinking of it.

Frazod
08-16-2010, 03:06 PM
To each his own. Worst Arnie flick from that era is Raw Deal. Where he went undercover as a mobster. Cracks me up just thinking of it.

Granted, I never saw that one (heard it was shit and spared myself the trouble) but I can't imagine how it could be worse than either of the two I mentioned.

Frazod
08-16-2010, 03:08 PM
In Red Heat, Ah-Nold was still in Terminator mode - the less he spoke, the "better" the movie.

And I've taken shits that have been more entertaining than Red Sonja. Good Christ.

There was one scene in Conan the Destroyer where the actors were riding on horseback, and you could actually see their heads/eyes move as they were reading the cue cards. It was so obvious to be laughable. What a stinking turd that was. And considering how awesome the original was, a monstrous letdown.

Deberg_1990
08-16-2010, 03:54 PM
There was one scene in Conan the Destroyer where the actors were riding on horseback, and you could actually see their heads/eyes move as they were reading the cue cards. It was so obvious to be laughable. What a stinking turd that was. And considering how awesome the original was, a monstrous letdown.

hah..i had forgotten about that 2nd Conan flick. What a piece of junk. I actually liked it when i was 13 though. LOL

Bowser
08-16-2010, 04:19 PM

LOL, wasn't there a scene like that at the end, where Olivia d'Abo is saying goodbye to the heroes and is reading a cue card between forcing out tears?

Valiant
08-16-2010, 04:22 PM
hah..i had forgotten about that 2nd Conan flick. What a piece of junk. I actually liked it when i was 13 though. LOL

I just like the hot chick in it.. Boob popped out once I believe but I do not have vhs player anymore to check.. Think that girl was in Nightmare on Elm street also..

The Elder
08-17-2010, 04:30 AM
DONT WAIT FOR THE BLUE RAY! Go see this at the movies. What a damn great time!

Lzen
08-17-2010, 09:35 PM
Just saw The Expedables tonight. Pretty cool flick. Obviously, its not gonna be anything profound. But it is a fun, tough man, action flick reminiscent of the 80s action movies with probably a little better story line than most of those.

notorious
08-17-2010, 09:37 PM
The real question:

Is it as good as The Last Boyscout?

DBOSHO
08-17-2010, 09:47 PM
The real question:

Is it as good as The Last Boyscout?

commando

Demonpenz
08-17-2010, 10:28 PM
remember the fucking commercials for Raw deal
Announcer voice guy from the 80's
"They gave him a raw deal"
arnold cocks gun
"NO ONE GIVES HIM A RAW DEAL

Demonpenz
08-17-2010, 10:31 PM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Sr1PSyCxb7g?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Sr1PSyCxb7g?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I am not quite sure how bad your driving has to be to drive into a bulldozer LMAO

InChiefsHell
08-25-2010, 06:02 AM
The wife and I went to see it last weekend. It was a good time. Worth seeing in the theater, and a definite DVD purchase when it comes out. I guess some are saying there is room\plans for a sequel, to include a bunch of other old action stars. But this one was fun, full of gratuitous violence and cheesy one liners. Plus the most imaginative way for 2 guys to waste 41 guys in like 3 screen minutes. Awesome.

Go see it. It's worth it.

Deberg_1990
08-25-2010, 07:15 AM
I am not quite sure how bad your driving has to be to drive into a bulldozer LMAO

I love movies that feature a scene where the hero gets his weapons and ammo loaded and cocked and placed in a bag. You know its going to be good.

Buehler445
12-14-2010, 10:16 PM
Finally saw this. It is full of win. FULL.

Although I'm disappointed Willis didn't get in on any of the killing. But he did cuss in a church so I guess it is all good.

Swanman
12-15-2010, 12:34 PM
Finally saw this. It is full of win. FULL.

Although I'm disappointed Willis didn't get in on any of the killing. But he did cuss in a church so I guess it is all good.

I LOVED the movie. My problem has to do with the previews giving away WAY too much. Willis and Ahnold should have been surprises but they had to give away their cameos in the preview, especially given the entrance Ahnold had in the movie. It was shot to be some big reveal but if you saw the trailer you knew who it was before the reveal.

I had the same problem with the Mike Tyson cameo in The Hangover. It should have been a great holy shit moment in the theater but it was in every preview.

Demonpenz
12-15-2010, 01:01 PM
The really holy shit cameo is in Zombieland

Sofa King
12-15-2010, 01:26 PM

yeah. i laughed my ass off...

I miss him being in lots of movies.

Swanman
12-15-2010, 01:40 PM

And it was done properly. I had no idea he was in it.

Swanman
12-15-2010, 01:41 PM

The second season of Eastbound and Down had a couple holy shit cameos in the last several episodes, especially the cameo at the very end of the season finale.