PDA

View Full Version : News Belly-Buttons Key To Success In Sports

jAZ
07-13-2010, 08:29 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20100712/sc_afp/sciencesportusphysics

Belly-buttons key to success in sport: study
by Karin Zeitvogel – Mon Jul 12, 12:58 pm ET

WASHINGTON (AFP) – Scientists have found the reason why blacks dominate on the running track and whites in the swimming pool: it's in their belly-buttons, a study published Monday shows.

What's important is not whether an athlete has an innie or an outie but where his or her navel is in relation to the rest of the body, says the study published in the International Journal of Design and Nature and Ecodynamics.

The navel is the center of gravity of the body, and given two runners or swimmers of the same height, one black and one white, "what matters is not total height but the position of the belly-button, or center of gravity," Duke University professor Andre Bejan, the lead author of the study, told AFP.

"It so happens that in the architecture of the human body of West African-origin runners, the center of gravity is significantly higher than in runners of European origin," which puts them at an advantage in sprints on the track, he said.

Individuals of West African-origin have longer legs than European-origin athletes, which means their belly-buttons are three centimeters (1.18 inches) higher than whites', said Bejan.

That means the black athletes have a "hidden height" that is three percent greater than whites', which gives them a significant speed advantage on the track.

"Locomotion is essentially a continual process of falling forward, and mass that falls from a higher altitude, falls faster," Bejan explained.

In the pool, meanwhile, whites have the advantage because they have longer torsos, making their belly-buttons lower in the general scheme of body architecture.

"Swimming is the art of surfing the wave created by the swimmer," said Bejan.

"The swimmer who makes the bigger wave is the faster swimmer, and a longer torso makes a bigger wave. Europeans have a three-percent longer torso than West Africans, which gives them a 1.5-percent speed advantage in the pool," he said.

Asians have the same long torsos as Europeans, giving them the same potential to be record-breakers in the pool.

But they often lose out to whites because whites are taller, said Bejan.
Many scientists have avoided studying why blacks make better sprinters and whites better swimmers because of what the study calls the "obvious" race angle.

But Bejan said the study he conducted with Edward Jones, a professor at Howard University in Washington, and Duke graduate Jordan Charles, focused on the athletes' geographic origins and biology, not race, which the authors of the study call a "social construct."

Bejan is white, originally from Romania, and Jones is black, from South Carolina.

They charted and analyzed nearly 100 years of records in men's and women's sprinting and 100-meters freestyle swimming for the study.

Sofa King
07-13-2010, 08:32 AM
Robert Wadlow was taller than any man, had the highest belly button, white, and he couldn't run for shit.

http://www.maniacworld.com/robert-wadlow.jpg

tymania
07-13-2010, 08:32 AM
really? i guess i see the logic behind it... but seems kinda silly to me

Phobia
07-13-2010, 08:56 AM
I have found that feet and legs play an integral role in running fast and frankly, I don't need a sanctioned study or a doctorate to make the determination.

Radar Chief
07-13-2010, 09:27 AM
:facepalm: Someone please tell me the Government didn’t pay for this study.

jspchief
07-13-2010, 09:33 AM
In other news, brains are why the white people are better at jobs

DJ's left nut
07-13-2010, 09:38 AM
Jesse Jackson will be along shortly to tell you how this is racist.

As soon as he can figure out how to make some money from it.

loochy
07-13-2010, 09:40 AM

...this is the type of thing that we all think, but shouldn't say. Prepare for a neg rep storm. :shake::facepalm:

tooge
07-13-2010, 10:14 AM
I'm having my belly button moved now

Deberg_1990
07-13-2010, 11:05 AM

Yes because there are no dumb white people.

'Hamas' Jenkins
07-13-2010, 11:22 AM

Was your Alphabet Soup a bunch of burning lowercase t's?

jspchief
07-13-2010, 11:24 AM
Yes because there are no dumb white people.and no unathletic black people?

Amnorix
07-13-2010, 11:30 AM
In all seriousness, I would be interested in understanding why some races appear to be better at certain things than other races. Apparently, in the PC era, no one is ever going to fund such a study, so we'll never know.

DJ's left nut
07-13-2010, 11:40 AM
In all seriousness, I would be interested in understanding why some races appear to be better at certain things than other races. Apparently, in the PC era, no one is ever going to fund such a study, so we'll never know.

I argued with my boss about this. I think it was during the summer olympics. At that time, no caucasion had ever run a sub 10 second 100 meter (meanwhile, Bolt could probably do it in 9.5 and a 9.9 won't get to the final heat anymore...).

His position is that it's all, every single bit of it, socioeconomic. That there is no physical distinction and that it all comes from upbringing. Mind you, this is an exceptionally intelligent person with a pretty distinguished military career in addition to his law background.

I asked him to consider the absurdity of that statement -that there's 0 physical distinction between the races - and his response was "consider the implications of that thought - if you acknowledge a phsyical distinction, you have to also acknowledge the possibility of a mental one, thus creating institutionalized racism..."

It was the most ass-backwards way of defending a point I've ever heard in my life. He doesn't like the social ramifications of acknowleding clear physical differences in the races, so he simply doesn't recognize that they exist.

Ladies and gentlemen, you'll find no greater example of the damage that being 'PC' had done to science and education in this country.

jspchief
07-13-2010, 11:45 AM
I argued with my boss about this. I think it was during the summer olympics. At that time, no caucasion had ever run a sub 10 second 100 meter (meanwhile, Bolt could probably do it in 9.5 and a 9.9 won't get to the final heat anymore...).

His position is that it's all, every single bit of it, socioeconomic. That there is no physical distinction and that it all comes from upbringing. Mind you, this is an exceptionally intelligent person with a pretty distinguished military career in addition to his law background.

I asked him to consider the absurdity of that statement -that there's 0 physical distinction between the races - and his response was "consider the implications of that thought - if you acknowledge a phsyical distinction, you have to also acknowledge the possibility of a mental one, thus creating institutionalized racism..."

It was the most ass-backwards way of defending a point I've ever heard in my life. He doesn't like the social ramifications of acknowleding clear physical differences in the races, so he simply doesn't recognize that they exist.

Ladies and gentlemen, you'll find no greater example of the damage that being 'PC' had done to science and education in this country.It's no different than acknowledging that different breeds of dogs excel at different tasks.

People are so wrapped up in terms like equality, without considering that there's a difference between being deserving of equal treatment, and being "equal" in it's most literal sense.

wasi
07-13-2010, 11:50 AM
Back in university I heard of this guy from my profs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race,_Evolution_and_Behavior

Race, Evolution, and Behavior: A Life History Perspective is a controversial evolutionary psychology book written by J. Philippe Rushton, a professor of psychology at the University of Western Ontario, and the current head of the Pioneer Fund.

Rushton argues that race is a valid biological concept and that racial differences frequently arrange in a continuum of 60 different behavioral and anatomical variables, with Mongoloids (Orientals, East Asians) at one end of the continuum, Negroids (blacks, Africans) at the opposite extreme, and Caucasoids (whites, Europeans) in the middle.

Shag
07-13-2010, 12:38 PM
I had heard that african americans had physiologically superior fast twitch muscle fibers, helping them to excel at things like sprinting and jumping. Never really cared enough to try and find a study that indicated this...

Gadzooks
07-13-2010, 12:43 PM
I always thought it was the extra bone in the ankle.:shrug:

wasi
07-13-2010, 12:44 PM
I had heard that african americans had physiologically superior fast twitch muscle fibers, helping them to excel at things like sprinting and jumping. Never really cared enough to try and find a study that indicated this...

I remember it because this paper was pretty controversial. He goes well beyond just athletics.

TheGuardian
07-13-2010, 12:48 PM
The belly button thing actually makes sense, although they could have easily used the average glute size and insertion point for AA's compared to Caucasians in comparison, or the fact that their hips tend to be higher (which is what they are saying in regards to the belly button thing). The fact is, all of the power and strength comes from the center of the body, and when your hips sit higher up like they talk in this study, your ability to leverage that power will be greater. This has been know for quite some time, I don't know why we needed a study about belly buttons to confirm it.

The equality thing is really bullshit. There is a reason why no white guy has ever ran a sub 9 100 meter dash. And probably never will. Yet there are tons of AA dudes who run sub 9's that won't make it to the Olympics. As noted, some dog breeds are better at certain tasks than other and certain races are genetically predisposed to be better at certain things than others. I don't understand why people have such a hard time with accepting this.

Every year the Europeans dominate in worlds strongest man, even though more Americans compete in strongman events than Europeans. So why do the Europeans dominate at these events? Because they are stronger. Duh. Those Viking bloodlines and warrior bloodlines do in fact matter.

The only ignorant people are the ones that believe we are all on equal footing.

DJ's left nut
07-13-2010, 01:05 PM
I always thought it was the extra bone in the ankle.:shrug:

It's the wide nose that helps them handle the heat.

/Dusty Baker

DJ's left nut
07-13-2010, 01:08 PM
The equality thing is really bullshit. There is a reason why no white guy has ever ran a sub 9 100 meter dash. And probably never will.

For the record:

A white guy ran a sub 10 100 for the first time in history a couple days ago (I presume you mean sub 10, as sub 9 still hasn't happened regardless of race).

http://www.examiner.com/x-39913-Running-Examiner~y2010m7d9-Lemaitre-of-France-becomes-first-sub10-second-white-male-sprinter-video

Radar Chief
07-13-2010, 01:53 PM
It's the wide nose that helps them handle the heat.

/Dusty Baker

They were bred that way by slave masters. /Jimmy “the Greek”

Hog Farmer
07-13-2010, 02:16 PM
In another government study taken over 10 years at a cost over 50 million dollars it was determined that women are better at getting pregnant than men.

KC native
07-13-2010, 02:40 PM
Ah scientific ignorance on display. Race is a concept that humans have invented. When you look at us on a genetic level we'll all pretty much the same.

vailpass
07-13-2010, 02:46 PM
Ah scientific ignorance on display. Race is a concept that humans have invented. When you look at us on a genetic level we'll all pretty much the same.

Yeah, that Mexican olympic basketball team kicks ass doesn't it?

KC native
07-13-2010, 03:01 PM

always classy vailpuss. Don't let reality get in the way of your racist views.

Donger
07-13-2010, 03:03 PM

I don't know if it does or does not, but Mexican isn't a race.

bowener
07-13-2010, 03:12 PM
...this is the type of thing that we all think, but shouldn't say. Prepare for a neg rep storm. :shake::facepalm:

I can honestly say that I never think that. But it was still a stupid statement on his behalf.

DJ's left nut
07-13-2010, 03:15 PM

So again - the fact that the first 70 people to break the 10 second mark in the 100m dash were black has absolutely nothing to do with physiology?

Give me a break.

bowener
07-13-2010, 03:16 PM

Clearly you have trouble understanding human genetics and why what you said is stupid.

I don't know if it does or does not, but Mexican isn't a race.

Winner of "best comeback" so far.

TheGuardian
07-13-2010, 03:18 PM

This is ignorant on a level that is hard to comprehend.

bowener
07-13-2010, 03:21 PM
This is ignorant on a level that is hard to comprehend.

How is it hard for you to comprehend?

AustinChief
07-13-2010, 04:11 PM

Yes, race is largely a contrived notion... but your second assertion (on a genetic level we're all pretty much the same) is so completely wrong that I can't believe you typed it. In a thousand years when geography and social norms aren't a boundary to more "inter-racial" breeding... THEN your statement will hold water... As it stands, there are vast genetic differences between groups of humans ... to simply classify them by "race" is ignorant but to ignore the facts is willfully ignorant.

KC native
07-13-2010, 04:31 PM
Yes, race is largely a contrived notion... but your second assertion (on a genetic level we're all pretty much the same) is so completely wrong that I can't believe you typed it. In a thousand years when geography and social norms aren't a boundary to more "inter-racial" breeding... THEN your statement will hold water... As it stands, there are vast genetic differences between groups of humans ... to simply classify them by "race" is ignorant but to ignore the facts is willfully ignorant.

Really? Every human's genetic material is the same. The difference is the sequence of those genes.

DJ's left nut
07-13-2010, 04:34 PM
Really? Every human's genetic material is the same. The difference is the sequence of those genes.

A labrador and a whippet have the same genes as well.

That whippet's gonna run a damn sight faster.

Genes don't tell the whole story here, not even a little bit of it.

KC native
07-13-2010, 04:39 PM
A labrador and a whippet have the same genes as well.

That whippet's gonna run a damn sight faster.

Genes don't tell the whole story here, not even a little bit of it.

Did I claim it did?

DJ's left nut
07-13-2010, 04:40 PM
Did I claim it did?

When someone claims that race can lead to difference in physical makeup and thus a difference in athletic achievement and you criticize it as "scientific ignorance" I'm gonna have to say yes.

Otherwise you're just talking to hear your own voice.

KC native
07-13-2010, 04:46 PM
When someone claims that race can lead to difference in physical makeup and thus a difference in athletic achievement and you criticize it as "scientific ignorance" I'm gonna have to say yes.

Otherwise you're just talking to hear your own voice.

Well, it is ignorance because race isn't a controlling factor in any of that. Perhaps, you should have been more clear about the difference in physiology that you are referring to because skin color doesn't affect anything aside from skin color.

AustinChief
07-13-2010, 04:50 PM

OMG, that's like saying.. we'll there is very little difference between elements.. they are all made up of electrons, protons and neutrons!

I don't have time to go into it... but will when I get back.

DJ's left nut
07-13-2010, 04:54 PM
Well, it is ignorance because race isn't a controlling factor in any of that. Perhaps, you should have been more clear about the difference in physiology that you are referring to because skin color doesn't affect anything aside from skin color.

Damn, you're right.

I didn't make it clear that I didn't think black skin made one inherently more aerodynamic.

My mistake. Just so you know, I don't feel black people are better at basketball because they are invisible to the white eye or that the color of their skin allows them to absorb more of the suns rays, thus filling them with energy unknown to the common cracker.

Are you acting this obtuse so you can pat yourself on the back and tell everyone how accepting you are? Do you get a little Lib merit badge for this kind of nonsense?

My point was crystal clear to anyone that isn't a self-indulgant assclown.

vailpass
07-13-2010, 04:54 PM
Clearly you have trouble understanding human genetics and why what you said is stupid.

Winner of "best comeback" so far.

Kind of slow on the uptake aren't you?

TheGuardian
07-13-2010, 04:59 PM
How is it hard for you to comprehend?

Other people are already touching on it. Just because we are essentially the same "material" doesn't mean we are the same. This should be fairly obvious but I guess some people still don't get it. It boggles my mind that people can be this ignorant.

Bwana
07-13-2010, 06:57 PM
:shake:

Our tax dollars hard at work once again.

Douche bags