PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Plumbing-- HALP!?! (Complete with n00b camera work!)

Stanley Nickels
07-14-2010, 07:18 PM
So, I've got a clog in my sink.. instead of write out the entire issue, I took a quick video, hoping someone here could help. If you have ANY ideas, save "hold the camera in one direction, you ****ing idiot" (I would agree with that statement), please help! I don't want to call a plumber, but I understand that may be necessary.

Thanks for your help!!

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SyUd40sxf3c&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SyUd40sxf3c&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

chefsos
07-14-2010, 07:25 PM
I'm just an idiot, but my first impression is: you've got a lot of threaded connections there. Start unscrewing 'em one at a time and see what's in there. Get a bucket first.

Rain Man
07-14-2010, 07:30 PM
Is the second sink backing up? If so, it's not the first p trap because water's getting to the second p trap, and it's not the second p trap because that's the route the water is taking to escape. It's something in the system past where the two drains join. The pressure of the garbage disposal is pushing the water down the drain and since it can't get out through the end of the drain it's both pushing up out of the second sink and the pressure has also likely burst a joint under the sink that's small enough to spray the water instead of leaking it. That should be easy to find if you look under there while the disposal is on. So you'll need to snake beyond the two sinks, meaning it doesn't matter which drain you send the snake down.

Either that, or it's demons.

WV
07-14-2010, 07:34 PM
Like chefsos said, pull both traps first to see if your clog is in there. Can't tell where the water is shooting out, but if your disposal is clogged you can try to clean it by grinding lemon peels and ice cubes to clean it out.

Stanley Nickels
07-14-2010, 07:36 PM
Thanks, RainMan. I'm fairly confident it's demons.

I agree with you about the dual drain issue; I guess I just have to get down there and start pulling it apart. Never done a lot of this housework stuff, so it takes me quite a bit longer than most people because I have to be more meticulous so I don't break stuff. Ugh. Probably 95% of the time I don't regret ever leaving an apartment. This is part of the five percent.

Rain Man
07-14-2010, 07:37 PM
Like chefsos said, pull both traps first to see if your clog is in there. Can't tell where the water is shooting out, but if your disposal is clogged you can try to clean it by grinding lemon peels and ice cubes to clean it out.

I don't think water would be coming up the second sink if the clog was in either of the traps. It made it down one trap and up the other, which means the clog is further down the system.

I'll bet there's a dead body down there or something.

Stanley Nickels
07-14-2010, 07:37 PM
P.S. Rep to all in this thread!

Stanley Nickels
07-14-2010, 07:38 PM
I'll bet there's a dead body down there or something.

You're actually not very far off from another issue we had. After a particularly hard rain this summer our dog was able to pull out four dead squirrel carcasses from our drain spout!

DeezNutz
07-14-2010, 07:43 PM
P.S. Rep to all in this thread!

w00t!!!

DeezNutz
07-14-2010, 07:47 PM
Yep. Start unscrewing some of the pipes. Collection of shit, most likely. Bucket and towels needed, cause it will be a little messy.

mikeyis4dcats.
07-14-2010, 07:47 PM
your clog is in the line after it enters the palm

mikeyis4dcats.
07-14-2010, 07:49 PM
unscrew the compression nut on the P trap where it comes back up and goes horizontal. Slide that tailpiece out of the pipe it fits in and run a plumbing snake down the line. DO NOT PUT CHEMICALS DOWN THE DRAIN. It will not help, and will only make it dangerous for you or your plumber to work on this.

MahiMike
07-14-2010, 07:52 PM
why did you glue your pvc together? These are designed to unscrew whenever there's a clog.

CrazyPhuD
07-14-2010, 07:52 PM
so now we know where badgirl has been!

Stanley Nickels
07-14-2010, 07:56 PM
why did you glue your pvc together? These are designed to unscrew whenever there's a clog.

I didn't. We bought this house a year ago. I grew up with parents who routinely called experts when shit like this would happen. I'm attempting to learn to be sufficient

Stanley Nickels
07-14-2010, 07:57 PM
Can't get to the HW store because my fiance is at work w/ my car because hers won't start. Ugh. When it rains, it pours, I guess.

cabletech94
07-14-2010, 09:08 PM
hot, hot, hot water. then bleach.
repeat.
repeat.
repeat.

Rain Man
07-14-2010, 09:10 PM
You're actually not very far off from another issue we had. After a particularly hard rain this summer our dog was able to pull out four dead squirrel carcasses from our drain spout!

I wonder if your dog was hiding them there in the first place. It seems all too convenient to find them when you were standing there. Does your dog have an alibi?

Stanley Nickels
07-14-2010, 09:11 PM
hot, hot, hot water. then bleach.
repeat.
repeat.
repeat.

Will this eventually corrode the material clogging the drain? This is the first time I've heard anything like that for the clog.. I'm homebound because my fiancee works until late. I'll definitely give it a shot until I can get an auger snake

cabletech94
07-14-2010, 09:15 PM
Will this eventually corrode the material clogging the drain? This is the first time I've heard anything like that for the clog.. I'm homebound because my fiancee works until late. I'll definitely give it a shot until I can get an auger snake

not sure about corroding it, but it does wonders against dead bodi, er i mean hair.

Coach
07-14-2010, 09:16 PM
Try plunging the sink with the plunger. If that fails, get a small wire hanger that is long but flexible enough to bend. Straighen that and try to pry it out. If that fails, then you'll need to go under the sink and remove the j-trap to check to see if it's clogged. If not, then it's probably in the p-trap or further down into the main line, and it's possible that it's grease build-up with accumulation of hair and other junk.
Posted via Mobile Device

SLAG
07-14-2010, 10:13 PM
Go pick up a $11 blow bag

Tylerthigpen!1!
07-14-2010, 10:16 PM
What is a good way to learn about plumbing?

mikeyis4dcats.
07-14-2010, 10:20 PM
the likelyhood that he has a massive hair clog in his kitchen sink is low.

and from the thumbnail of the video, I'd say from what I see the glued joints are what should be glued.

mikeyis4dcats.
07-14-2010, 10:22 PM
luckily for you, the fact it backs up so quickly indicates the clog is close to the traps, assuming it backs up as quickly as your video shows after it sits for a few hours.

Did you recently peel potatoes, carrots, or similar? They and coffee grounds can easily clog a sink.

Hog Farmer
07-14-2010, 10:32 PM
Get BP on the line maybe they can stop your leak!

Seriously, your garbage disposal obviously has a hole in it. Run your hand down the drain where the disposal is and feel around with your fingers. If you can feel something that resembles a hole then stick your finger through to plug it. Turn on the disposal and if water doesn't shoot out then you've found the source.

Stanley Nickels
07-14-2010, 10:41 PM
Thanks so much for all the help, guys. Just trying to learn what many consider ingrained knowledge.. want to be able to take care of the household in the long-run... rep has been distributed to all parties!

mikey, my fiancee peeled carrots today, think I'll find all that shit tomorrow? :D

Hog Farmer
07-14-2010, 10:44 PM
Tell your fiancee the next time the cops knock on the door to flush the stuff down the tiolet instead ! Crack pipes and disposals don't mix.

Rain Man
07-14-2010, 11:37 PM
Get BP on the line maybe they can stop your leak!

Seriously, your garbage disposal obviously has a hole in it. Run your hand down the drain where the disposal is and feel around with your fingers. If you can feel something that resembles a hole then stick your finger through to plug it. Turn on the disposal and if water doesn't shoot out then you've found the source.

And then the severed bits and pieces of your arm will plug the hole.

Rain Man
07-14-2010, 11:40 PM
Did you recently peel potatoes, carrots, or similar? They and coffee grounds can easily clog a sink.

I assumed that garbage disposals ate anything, and then we had catastrophic sink clogs two Thanksgivings in a row. We thought that was horrible luck until the second plumber told us about potatoes. My wife had thrown large quantities of potato peels in the disposal while making Thanksgiving dinner, and I guess potato peels cement themselves to the pipes once they're chopped up. I would've thought I would've learned that long before my forties, but neither my wife nor I knew it.

Coach
07-18-2010, 02:24 AM
Another thing is, try running the garbage disposal (if it's backed up on that side) and plunge it at the same time. It could be just pieces of crap clogged on the holes that drain the water from the disposal to the pipes.

ohiobronco2
07-18-2010, 09:53 AM
I assumed that garbage disposals ate anything, and then we had catastrophic sink clogs two Thanksgivings in a row. We thought that was horrible luck until the second plumber told us about potatoes. My wife had thrown large quantities of potato peels in the disposal while making Thanksgiving dinner, and I guess potato peels cement themselves to the pipes once they're chopped up. I would've thought I would've learned that long before my forties, but neither my wife nor I knew it.

My Father is a plumber and potato peels are by far the worst for disposals. Toss them in the trash.

ohiobronco2
07-18-2010, 10:01 AM
I didn't watch the video, but if water is backing up in both sinks then it is in the main sink line. Put the strainer in the non disposer side and hold it in place. Fill the disposal side up with water and turn the disposer on. The thought is that the pressure will force the clog down the sink drain and into the larger pipes. Only downside is it may (not likely) blow your pipes apart under your drain. To be safe I'd put a pail/bucket under your pipes. If it happens, hell, no big deal. Pipes will be apart so you can snake them and it's just compression fitings. Not tough to fix.