PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Making BBQ sauce with fresh tomatoes

Dinny Blues
07-19-2010, 08:14 AM
I have googled my face off for way too many hours looking for BBQ sauce recipes using fresh tomatoes. Nearly all the recipes I have found start with ketchup or catsup. I hate ketchup or catsup.

I found one thing that looked like instructions, but they were merely suggestions.

So anyway, I have a cast iron pot full of peeled/squoze/de-seeded fresh tomatoes, some peppers and onions, garlic from my garden, some vinegar, herbs and spices, pressure canner, jars/lids and no fear of failure.

It's hot outside already, and I'm wearing sunglasses.

Cover me, I'm goin' in.
Dinny

mikeyis4dcats.
07-19-2010, 08:18 AM
you can't really make BBQ like that. You'll end up with spaghetti sauce every time.

Gonzo
07-19-2010, 08:22 AM
Are you going to add molasses or something to thicken/sweeten it up?
Posted via Mobile Device

Dinny Blues
07-19-2010, 08:25 AM
you can't really make BBQ like that. You'll end up with spaghetti sauce every time.

What if I just smoke the oregano instead of adding it to the pot?

Dinny

Dinny Blues
07-19-2010, 08:28 AM
Are you going to add molasses or something to thicken/sweeten it up?
Posted via Mobile Device

Got Grandma's molasses and raw local honey.

The tomatoes have to simmer low heat for a long time to cook down.

Dinny

boogblaster
07-19-2010, 08:31 AM
yea cookem dono

Gonzo
07-19-2010, 08:35 AM
Got Grandma's molasses and raw local honey.

The tomatoes have to simmer low heat for a long time to cook down.

Dinny
There ya go. Let us know how it goes.
Posted via Mobile Device

tooge
07-19-2010, 08:38 AM
throw a little fresh ground chili powder, some mustard, worshteshire, and some liquied smoke

Toadkiller
07-19-2010, 08:41 AM
I always add a bit of whiskey to my bbq sauce. Something with a lot of peat/smokiness like Lagavulin.

Saccopoo
07-19-2010, 09:00 AM

Sure you can. I make BBQ sauce with fresh tomatoes every year.

Saccopoo
07-19-2010, 09:03 AM
I always add a bit of whiskey to my bbq sauce. Something with a lot of peat/smokiness like Lagavulin.

Interesting. I've never heard of someone using Scotch in their BBQ sauce. I'll use some Kentucky bourbon in mine every once and a while, but Scotch is a completely different animal.

Toadkiller
07-19-2010, 09:18 AM
Interesting. I've never heard of someone using Scotch in their BBQ sauce. I'll use some Kentucky bourbon in mine every once and a while, but Scotch is a completely different animal.

I like to experiment every time I make it a bit different. This last batch I ground up some star anise and wow that sauce is amazing.

Groves
07-19-2010, 09:19 AM
Isn't someone supposed to mention apricot preserves at this point?

Extra Point
07-19-2010, 10:55 AM
What if I just smoke the oregano instead of adding it to the pot?

Dinny

I'd just smoke pot and wait til tomorrow to make spaghetti sauce, but that's me.

Dinny Blues
07-19-2010, 03:16 PM
It sure smells like BBQ sauce in here.

I chopped some hot red peppers to put in the gruel. I tried a little piece of it to see how hot it was, and now my lips and tip of my tounge are burning. Will a cold bottle of beer make it go away?

Dinny

Count Alex's Losses
07-19-2010, 03:19 PM
now my lips and tip of my tounge are burning. Will a cold bottle of beer make it go away?

Dinny

Milk.

Extra Point
07-19-2010, 03:26 PM
Will a cold bottle of beer make it go away?

Dinny

MANY.

RJ
07-19-2010, 03:29 PM
It sure smells like BBQ sauce in here.

I chopped some hot red peppers to put in the gruel. I tried a little piece of it to see how hot it was, and now my lips and tip of my tounge are burning. Will a cold bottle of beer make it go away?
Dinny

Yes Dinny, alcohol dulls all pain.

Dinny Blues
07-20-2010, 09:36 PM
I have created what could quite very nearly possibly be the 4th or 5th best BBQ sauce this side of Willard, MO.

I've been fargin' with it for a couple of days. Gonna let it macerate in the frigidaire overnight and can tomorrow. The batch grew as I went, but I managed to keep it in one pot.

Dinny

Groves
07-20-2010, 09:52 PM
Put me first in line for buying/bartering/stealing/tasting some.

Good job, Dinny!

Dinny Blues
07-20-2010, 10:10 PM
Put me first in line for buying/bartering/stealing/tasting some.

Good job, Dinny!

I got you and MOHillbilly figured for 2nd & 3rd opinions.

I feel like it's gone pretty well, but I think I can do better. These heirloom tomatoes are very sweet to begin with, and it's been a challenge.

Hope your maters are doing well, if not, mine are going batshit insane. Come and get all you wanna take home.

Dinny

Dinny Blues
07-20-2010, 10:21 PM
I think I'm going to put it on the low&slow smoker with apple and a little mesquite in the morning before the jars.

This has been a ton o' fun.

FireMeBoy would be proud of the whole wacky cast iron pot thing. I honestly believe it has made a difference in the flavor. I'm a believer.

Dinny