PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Making BBQ sauce with fresh tomatoes

Dinny Bossa Nova
07-19-2010, 07:14 AM
I have googled my face off for way too many hours looking for BBQ sauce recipes using fresh tomatoes. Nearly all the recipes I have found start with ketchup or catsup. I hate ketchup or catsup.

I found one thing that looked like instructions, but they were merely suggestions.

So anyway, I have a cast iron pot full of peeled/squoze/de-seeded fresh tomatoes, some peppers and onions, garlic from my garden, some vinegar, herbs and spices, pressure canner, jars/lids and no fear of failure.

It's hot outside already, and I'm wearing sunglasses.

Cover me, I'm goin' in.
Dinny

mikeyis4dcats.
07-19-2010, 07:18 AM
you can't really make BBQ like that. You'll end up with spaghetti sauce every time.

Gonzo
07-19-2010, 07:22 AM
Are you going to add molasses or something to thicken/sweeten it up?
Posted via Mobile Device

Dinny Bossa Nova
07-19-2010, 07:25 AM
you can't really make BBQ like that. You'll end up with spaghetti sauce every time.

What if I just smoke the oregano instead of adding it to the pot?

Dinny

Dinny Bossa Nova
07-19-2010, 07:28 AM
Are you going to add molasses or something to thicken/sweeten it up?
Posted via Mobile Device

Got Grandma's molasses and raw local honey.

The tomatoes have to simmer low heat for a long time to cook down.

Dinny

boogblaster
07-19-2010, 07:31 AM
yea cookem dono

Gonzo
07-19-2010, 07:35 AM
Got Grandma's molasses and raw local honey.

The tomatoes have to simmer low heat for a long time to cook down.

Dinny
There ya go. Let us know how it goes.
Posted via Mobile Device

tooge
07-19-2010, 07:38 AM
throw a little fresh ground chili powder, some mustard, worshteshire, and some liquied smoke

Toadkiller
07-19-2010, 07:41 AM
I always add a bit of whiskey to my bbq sauce. Something with a lot of peat/smokiness like Lagavulin.

Saccopoo
07-19-2010, 08:00 AM

Sure you can. I make BBQ sauce with fresh tomatoes every year.

Saccopoo
07-19-2010, 08:03 AM
I always add a bit of whiskey to my bbq sauce. Something with a lot of peat/smokiness like Lagavulin.

Interesting. I've never heard of someone using Scotch in their BBQ sauce. I'll use some Kentucky bourbon in mine every once and a while, but Scotch is a completely different animal.

Toadkiller
07-19-2010, 08:18 AM
Interesting. I've never heard of someone using Scotch in their BBQ sauce. I'll use some Kentucky bourbon in mine every once and a while, but Scotch is a completely different animal.

I like to experiment every time I make it a bit different. This last batch I ground up some star anise and wow that sauce is amazing.

Groves
07-19-2010, 08:19 AM
Isn't someone supposed to mention apricot preserves at this point?

Extra Point
07-19-2010, 09:55 AM
What if I just smoke the oregano instead of adding it to the pot?

Dinny

I'd just smoke pot and wait til tomorrow to make spaghetti sauce, but that's me.

Dinny Bossa Nova
07-19-2010, 02:16 PM
It sure smells like BBQ sauce in here.

I chopped some hot red peppers to put in the gruel. I tried a little piece of it to see how hot it was, and now my lips and tip of my tounge are burning. Will a cold bottle of beer make it go away?

Dinny

ASS11
07-19-2010, 02:19 PM
now my lips and tip of my tounge are burning. Will a cold bottle of beer make it go away?

Dinny

Milk.

Extra Point
07-19-2010, 02:26 PM
Will a cold bottle of beer make it go away?

Dinny

MANY.

RJ
07-19-2010, 02:29 PM
It sure smells like BBQ sauce in here.

I chopped some hot red peppers to put in the gruel. I tried a little piece of it to see how hot it was, and now my lips and tip of my tounge are burning. Will a cold bottle of beer make it go away?
Dinny

Yes Dinny, alcohol dulls all pain.

Dinny Bossa Nova
07-20-2010, 08:36 PM
I have created what could quite very nearly possibly be the 4th or 5th best BBQ sauce this side of Willard, MO.

I've been fargin' with it for a couple of days. Gonna let it macerate in the frigidaire overnight and can tomorrow. The batch grew as I went, but I managed to keep it in one pot.

Dinny

Groves
07-20-2010, 08:52 PM
Put me first in line for buying/bartering/stealing/tasting some.

Good job, Dinny!

Dinny Bossa Nova
07-20-2010, 09:10 PM
Put me first in line for buying/bartering/stealing/tasting some.

Good job, Dinny!

I got you and MOHillbilly figured for 2nd & 3rd opinions.

I feel like it's gone pretty well, but I think I can do better. These heirloom tomatoes are very sweet to begin with, and it's been a challenge.

Hope your maters are doing well, if not, mine are going batshit insane. Come and get all you wanna take home.

Dinny

Dinny Bossa Nova
07-20-2010, 09:21 PM
I think I'm going to put it on the low&slow smoker with apple and a little mesquite in the morning before the jars.

This has been a ton o' fun.

FireMeBoy would be proud of the whole wacky cast iron pot thing. I honestly believe it has made a difference in the flavor. I'm a believer.

Dinny