PDA

View Full Version : Life Guys, what was the first birthday gift your inlaws gave you that you liked?

Gracie Dean
07-19-2010, 01:44 PM
My future son in law has a birthday next month. Never having a son before, what would be some cool ideas...Keep it reasonable they are not married yet, and I am not made of money.

Dicky McElephant
07-19-2010, 01:45 PM
Let him PIIHB.

vailpass
07-19-2010, 01:48 PM
Don't know if this applies to your situation but my FIL gives me magazine subscriptions every year. Consumer Reports, Smithsonian are the two I like best from him. If your daughter's boyfriend is into a particular hobby or pursuit you could find out if there is a subscription in that area. It's a nice gift that gives all year and doesn't cost a lot.

Gracie Dean
07-19-2010, 01:50 PM
Let him PIIHB.

really ??? you got to be that much of an ass? Or are you trying to be claythan

Brock
Tools are always good.

Gracie Dean
Don't know if this applies to your situation but my FIL gives me magazine subscriptions every year. Consumer Reports, Smithsonian are the two I like best from him. If your daughter's boyfriend is into a particular hobby or pursuit you could find out if there is a subscription in that area. It's a nice gift that gives all year and doesn't cost a lot.

good idea, would have never thought of that

Dicky McElephant
07-19-2010, 01:51 PM
really ??? you got to be that much of an ass? Or are you trying to be claythan

Settle it down......

Would it be better if I posted Antifreeze? Is that acceptable?

Gonzo
07-19-2010, 01:51 PM
Candlesticks.

rambleonthruthefog
07-19-2010, 01:53 PM
my inlaws are great. i've liked every gift they've ever givin me. i think a 1994 ford f150 was my fav. father in law bought a new hemi

Gracie Dean
07-19-2010, 01:54 PM
Settle it down......

all I wanted were some real ideas from you guys

We like this guy, she is very happy and I just wanted him to know we accept him into the family but don't want to come off overbearing

Gracie Dean
my inlaws are great. i've liked every gift they've ever givin me.

such as?

vailpass
Settle it down......

You are talking about his daughter, don't act like you didn't expect that reaction when you said what you said.

luv
07-19-2010, 01:55 PM
You are talking about his daughter, don't act like you didn't expect that reaction when you said what you said.

With the threads about PIIHB lately, I think it's safe to say it's obvious that he was kidding.

rambleonthruthefog
07-19-2010, 01:56 PM
cant go wrong with tools or cash

booyaf2
07-19-2010, 01:56 PM
all I wanted were some real ideas from you guys

We like this guy, she is very happy and I just wanted him to know we accept him into the family but don't want to come off overbearing

Then by all means go ahead and let him PIIHB.

kidding kidding, calm down

CoMoChief
07-19-2010, 01:57 PM
Tickets to a Chiefs game?

Oh wait you mean something he will like and want?

Nevermind....

Mr. Plow
07-19-2010, 01:59 PM
I'll let you know when it happens.

RJ
I love my in-laws, they're great people, but they are terrible at selecting gifts for me. I recently convinced them to just get me a gift card if they really want to buy me something. It's best for everyone.

Gracie Dean
Tickets to a Chiefs game?

Oh wait you mean something he will like and want?

Nevermind....

That is the one thing that is wrong with him...he is a BROWNS fan. He is from Ohio...hehe

Gracie Dean
07-19-2010, 02:00 PM
I love my in-laws, they're great people, but they are terrible at selecting gifts for me. I recently convinced them to just get me a gift card if they really want to buy me something. It's best for everyone.

see, that is what I want to avoid.

TrebMaxx
07-19-2010, 02:03 PM
I would ask your daughter for suggestions, his interest, etc.

seclark
07-19-2010, 02:04 PM
don't really remember ever getting a bday present from my inlaws. my bday is Christmas day though, so they might have figured what they gave me for Christmas also served as my bday present. that's what most people did.

anyway...i got their daughter, so nothing else they could give me would compare to that.

tightass bitches, anyways
sec

luv
07-19-2010, 02:05 PM
I would ask your daughter for suggestions, his interest, etc.

This. Or, if all else fails, cash or gift card.

Gracie Dean
07-19-2010, 02:05 PM
I'll let you know when it happens.

well, tell me what to avoid then?

Gracie Dean
07-19-2010, 02:07 PM
This. Or, if all else fails, cash or gift card.

I have thought of that, but he would probably give it to her cause that is the kind of guy he is...

I will do that if I have to, but I would really like it to be personal.

They are both in college, she is doing the nursing route and he is doing something with computer graphics and design.

He loves music and plays several instruments

Detoxing
07-19-2010, 02:08 PM
My FIL gave me some weed once. And that wasn't a B-day gift. That about sums it up though.

Gracie Dean
07-19-2010, 02:09 PM
My FIL gave me some weed once. And that wasn't a B-day gift. That about sums it up though.

well, probably not gonna do that.

They hardly even drink

Donger
07-19-2010, 02:10 PM
Condoms, obviously.

luv
I have thought of that, but he would probably give it to her cause that is the kind of guy he is...

They are both in college, she is doing the nursing route and he is doing something with computer graphics and design.

Well, it sounds like you know his interests and your budget.

luv
Condoms, obviously.

This is the answer I was waiting for.

LMAO

Gracie Dean
07-19-2010, 02:11 PM
Well, it sounds like you know his interests and your budget.

yea, I have some options, I just wanted to see if someone had some really cool ideas.

vailpass
07-19-2010, 02:11 PM

Does he have stands for his instruments? A nice instrument stand to put in the living room is always a good idea for a musical gift. Guitar, violin, some brass instruments.
Probably not such a hot idea if he plays piano...

Gracie Dean
07-19-2010, 02:12 PM
Does he have stands for his instruments? A nice instrument stand to put in the living room is always a good idea for a musical gift. Guitar, violin, some brass instruments.

oh that is an awesome idea...a guitar stand...

thank you!

CoMoChief
07-19-2010, 02:13 PM
That is the one thing that is wrong with him...he is a BROWNS fan. He is from Ohio...hehe

So you're saying he loves little boy cock?

rambleonthruthefog
07-19-2010, 02:13 PM
pay for a swanky hotel room. that way he knows you don't mind him givin it to your daughter.

Gracie Dean
07-19-2010, 02:14 PM
So you're saying he loves little boy cock?

hope not, I plan to convert him to become a Chiefs fan!

Gracie Dean
07-19-2010, 02:14 PM
pay for a swanky hotel room. that way he knows you don't mind him givin it to your daughter.

they aren't married yet:doh!:

Donger
07-19-2010, 02:16 PM
they aren't married yet:doh!:

In that case, a quart of anal lube.

MOhillbilly
inlaws are JWs. I fucking hate them.

blaise
I second the magazine. I've gotten Sporting News as a gift. I'd never order it for myself, but when I get it I like it, so in that way I consider it a good gift.

Saulbadguy
07-19-2010, 02:18 PM
Generally don't get anything unless i'm there visiting around my birthday.

luv
07-19-2010, 02:19 PM
I second the magazine. I've gotten Sporting News as a gift. I'd never order it for myself, but when I get it I like it, so in that way I consider it a good gift.

I thought it was a good idea, too. Music? There's Entertainment Weekly, Guitar World, Vintage Guitar, etc.

Detoxing

The ones you can actually hang on the walls are really nice too. I no longer play my bass' anymore so now they hang on the wall. Makes for a nice decorative piece.

Gracie Dean
I thought it was a good idea, too. Music? There's Entertainment Weekly, Guitar World, Vintage Guitar, etc.

I like that too!

RJ
07-19-2010, 02:20 PM

Then maybe a gift card to a music store.

Even a small amount comes in handy. Lots of little accessory type stuff you always need for instruments.

HemiEd
07-19-2010, 02:21 PM
$20

luv
07-19-2010, 02:21 PM
The ones you can actually hang on the walls are really nice too. I no longer play my bass' anymore so now they hang on the wall. Makes for a nice decorative piece.

I like this, too. Looked up standing and wall mounts, and both start really inexpensive.

vailpass
07-19-2010, 02:23 PM
$20

Inside a new wallet

Gracie Dean
07-19-2010, 02:26 PM
Inside a new wallet

thats kind of cool.

See, not having sons, I wouldn't think of these things. Hubby is easy to buy for, and so different than the future son in law

luv
07-19-2010, 02:26 PM
Inside a new wallet

With a Chiefs emblem on it. ;)

rambleonthruthefog
07-19-2010, 02:31 PM
does he play video games? my inlaws have givin me a couple games.

Gracie Dean
07-19-2010, 02:33 PM
does he play video games? my inlaws have givin me a couple games.

yea, they love the DJ hero and guitar hero and they play Lineage

HemiEd
Inside a new wallet

Good wallets are almost as good as food, but cheap wallets suck.

I have always thrown the cheap ones in my credenza, then they start to pile up. Time to "re-gift."

vailpass
thats kind of cool.

See, not having sons, I wouldn't think of these things. Hubby is easy to buy for, and so different than the future son in law

I very much enjoy giving unique gifts that show thought; I do so all year round don't need an occasion. People feel very good when they see you took time to put thought into something.

Gracie Dean
07-19-2010, 02:35 PM
I very much enjoy giving unique gifts that show thought; I do so all year round don't need an occasion. People feel very good when they see you took time to put thought into something.

that is what I want!

Gracie Dean
07-19-2010, 02:36 PM

I have always thrown the cheap ones in my credenza, then they start to pile up. Time to "re-gift."

what is a good wallet vs bad wallet?

Hubby likes the velcro ones I consider those cheap ones. In our first year of marriage, I bought him a really nice leather one that I thought was really nice and he did not ever use it.

I thought of a nice watch, but kids today don't use watches, they use their phones

vailpass
07-19-2010, 02:39 PM

Amen. Wallets are like shoes, they are worth spending more to get the good ones because they last 10x as long as the cheap ones and are comfortable.

Mr. Plow
07-19-2010, 02:44 PM
well, tell me what to avoid then?

Socks. That's about the best I've gotten in nearly 12 years. I would also avoid treating him, her, and any future kids they may have like dog crap on your shoe simply because he stands up to you. :)

rambleonthruthefog
07-19-2010, 02:44 PM
good wallets are great its true. my last one lasted 10 years. it was a leather one from COACH. don't know what it cost cause my cousin stole it for me when she was the manager.

rambleonthruthefog
07-19-2010, 02:46 PM
i've got it. satellite radio. i f'n love satellite radio! just had to get rid of it for budget reasons and it sucks driving around listening to commercials on crappy radio stations. we know he digs music. we can assume he has a variety of tastes, and we can also assume that he hates commercials.

Dayze
07-19-2010, 02:46 PM
bottle of Patron Anejo.

Gracie Dean
07-19-2010, 02:49 PM
i've got it. satellite radio. i f'n love satellite radio! just had to get rid of it for budget reasons and it sucks driving around listening to commercials on crappy radio stations. we know he digs music, and we can assume he has a variety of tastes, we can also assume that he hates commercials.

yes, they both hate commercials...when they are driving, one or the other (which ever is not driving ) will be constantly changing the station to avoid commercials...

Mojo Jojo
07-19-2010, 02:51 PM
What are his hobbies, likes or interests? When my wife and I were dating and first married I liked playing golf, so my in laws would get me a gift card for a golf store, one year they gave me a round of golf for two at a nice course so I could take a friend and play. After the first child...not so much golf and I got into grilling and smoking. I would get cool new utensils, and the year we bought our new house they just gave me money to go out and apply to buying a new grill/smoker I really wanted.
Books are also very nice if you know what he likes.

notorious
07-19-2010, 03:43 PM
My FIL gave me a M1 Garand. That's pretty badass.

Iowanian
07-19-2010, 03:49 PM
My father in law took me to the barn and showed me the scalps of her former boyfriends he'd nailed to the wall over his work bench.

loochy
07-19-2010, 03:50 PM
Settle it down......

Maybe combine the two and PAFIHB?

loochy
07-19-2010, 03:53 PM
Seriously though, my GF's parents got me some good gifts.

For my birthday they got me a blu ray player and for christmas they got me some kitchen stuff that I needed (salt and pepper grinders and a pyrex set) along with this really cool little remote control helicopter. They gave one of the helicopters to each of the guys in the family and we flew them around all day and had little battles and stuff. Fun. :D

Flachief58
07-19-2010, 06:00 PM
The Inlaws get me Chief related items. Die cast cars, jerseys, t's, hats etc. I'd say find out what he is really passionate about then get him something related to his passion. Tools & giftcards are always welcome.

My future son in law has a birthday next month. Never having a son before, what would be some cool ideas...Keep it reasonable they are not married yet, and I am not made of money.

Chiefless
07-19-2010, 06:27 PM

Wax Poetics and Mojo are great music mags too. Wax poetics is vintage soul and comes with a 7" every month. Mojo is a British Rock mag and comes with a mix CD. If he's into modern visual art...Esopus is the poop.

If he's more into practical things a big ass bag of coffee is pretty sweet. We get 5 lbs every christmas.

Graphic designers LOVE gadgets. See if he keeps a tool box. If he does then a taboret is an awesome gift. Far and away the most useful gift I ever received.

Gracie Dean
07-19-2010, 07:53 PM
Wax Poetics and Mojo are great music mags too. Wax poetics is vintage soul and comes with a 7" every month. Mojo is a British Rock mag and comes with a mix CD. If he's into modern visual art...Esopus is the poop.

If he's more into practical things a big ass bag of coffee is pretty sweet. We get 5 lbs every christmas.

Graphic designers LOVE gadgets. See if he keeps a tool box. If he does then a taboret is an awesome gift. Far and away the most useful gift I ever received.

Interesting. Thanks for the info.

So guys describe the perfect wallet

CrazyPhuD
07-19-2010, 09:20 PM

OOOOhhhhh...well in that case if you want to make sure you start the relationship off right then you have to get him a Steelers jersey, and a personally autographed picture of art modell.

Silock
07-19-2010, 09:22 PM
My in-laws don't do birthday presents. For Christmas, they did buy me a giant Optimus Prime. Yeah, I'm almost thirty. It's awesome as fuck, though.

boogblaster
07-19-2010, 09:39 PM
when they died in a firey-crash two years ago

DJ's left nut
07-19-2010, 09:43 PM
Mine tend to do pretty well because they just get me whatever the FIL would want.

I got a 2 ton floor jack, jack stands and a crawler one year.

I got a Wet/Dry vac once.

And then my MIL once stumbled onto some memphis style BBQ sauce that I'd never seen. Low and behold, it was damn good. She tends to get me grilling things and hits more than she misses.

If he likes to cook, I'd recommend an infra-red thermometer. No idea what they cost, but I don't figure they're that bad. You can shoot a beam at a fire (grilling), oil (frying) or whatever, and get an instant temperature read. They're awesome.

Cornstock
07-19-2010, 11:00 PM
Interesting. Thanks for the info.

So guys describe the perfect wallet

Black leather. Bi-folds are quick to slip cash in and out.
ID window and plenty of credit card slots

loochy
07-20-2010, 08:59 AM
Black leather. Bi-folds are quick to slip cash in and out.
ID window and plenty of credit card slots

A bi-fold also sits slimmer and flatter than a tri-fold, but still fits into a back pocket. I hate fat lumpy wallets.

Donger
07-20-2010, 09:03 AM

Hubby likes the velcro ones I consider those cheap ones. In our first year of marriage, I bought him a really nice leather one that I thought was really nice and he did not ever use it.

I thought of a nice watch, but kids today don't use watches, they use their phones

You answered your own question, through the use of one word above.

Nzoner
07-20-2010, 09:58 AM
This is a sore subject in my home :mad:

Frosty
07-20-2010, 11:06 AM
I generally get cash for my birthday and pick out my own Christmas presents.

Gracie Dean
07-24-2010, 10:34 PM
This is a sore subject in my home :mad:

Why?

mikeyis4dcats.
07-24-2010, 11:11 PM
I'll let you know...

milkman
07-24-2010, 11:18 PM

My wife bought me a velcro one that I absolutely hated, but because she bought it for me, I used it.

Damn thing lasted nearly fifteen years.

mikeyis4dcats.
07-24-2010, 11:25 PM
adults use velcro wallets?

A leather trifold is my preferred, as it has more slots for cards, and I have a lot of cards.

Over-Head
07-24-2010, 11:55 PM

A new copy of the 15th and 22nd's.
They were JW's too. :banghead:

RedNeckRaider
07-24-2010, 11:56 PM
My ex father in law and his new wife and I got off to a rough start. He was a very large man who was a football player and had a try out with the Chiefs back in the day. He was also a wrestler at the two A level. He thought I was a "hood" and not good enough for his daughter. I did not like him and he dang sure did not like me. He tried to scare me off and made an effort to do so. It lead to some less than good moments LMAO Later we became freinds. He got me a ball cap with my name on it while on vacation one time. I thought it was the dumbest gift I ever was given. I did come to understand that it was an olive branch. He grew up goodie two shoe and did not smoke and did not chew and never talked to those who do (stealing a old line) I grew up with outlaws. He felt his daughter deserved better...he was right. All these years later that silly hat is one of the best gifts I have ever been given. The fight at the drop of the hat asshole boy earned the respect of one of the good guys. I became a man and a dad thanks to him and his daughter. I still have that ball cap...although I have never worn it~

bevischief
07-25-2010, 10:57 AM
cash.

gift card

alcohol