PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Branden Albert Comes Home

CosmicPal
07-19-2010, 08:19 PM
Not much here, but it's the offseason, so I thought I'd share.

http://www.whec.com/sports/stories/S1658699.shtml?cat=571

Branden Albert comes home

Posted at: 07/19/2010 4:42 PM
By: Robin De Wind | WHEC.com

WHEC-TV
Before heading to training camp for the Kansas City Chiefs, Rochester native Branden Albert stopped by the Rochester YMCA to talk with some local kids.

Albert was the Chiefs� first round draft pick in 2008. He says reconnecting with kids is a priority. �Most of the kids at the YMCA today didn't even realize who was coming in for a visit today.

It wasn't that long ago that Albert was in their shoes -- this was his home away from home. �I did the day camp thing I came here to play basketball and worked her to give back to the YMCA. Having this annual day means a lot to me.�

Albert is a Rochester native. He spent his early years in Rochester struggling in school and failing his freshman year twice. His mother sent him to live with his older brother in Washington, D.C., where Alberts life slowly turned around. He got through high school went to the University of Virginia, played football just one season but and ended up being the Kansas City Chief's number one draft pick in 2008. Albert says, �I stayed with it. I had an older brother and a mother who did the right thing by sending me to help mold me to being a man and now it worked out.�

Albert knows it won't come easy for these kids, it hasn't for him. After getting off to a great rookie year making the move from guard to left tackle, Albert stumbled last season. Coming home and sharing his ups and downs puts it all in perspective. He says, �Don't let anyone tell you you ain�t going to be nothing. I had a lot of people growing up didn't think I was going to be anything in life. It ended up working out. Everybody can be something, you don't have to be a pro athlete but you can be something.�

Tonight, Albert is taking about 40 kids to the Red Wings game.

CoMoChief
07-19-2010, 09:43 PM
I assume the Red Wings game is an away game? What a poorly written article.

OnTheWarpath58
07-19-2010, 09:49 PM
I assume the Red Wings game is an away game? What a poorly written article.

:spock:

The Rochester Red Wings are the AAA affiliate of the Minnesota Twins, IIRC.