PDA

View Full Version : Football USC cuts ties with Bush after sanctions

Pestilence
07-20-2010, 02:34 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d819369ab/article/usc-cuts-ties-to-bush-after-sanctions-will-return-his-heisman

USC cuts ties to Bush after sanctions, will return his Heisman

Reggie Bush rushed for 3,169 yards during three seasons at USC, won the 2005 Heisman Trophy and helped the Trojans claim the 2004 BCS national championship.

After the NCAA heavily sanctioned the school for Bush's reported dealings with prospective agents, USC is trying to erase the running back from its past.

USC president-elect C.L. Max Nikias announced Tuesday in a letter addressed to "Members of the USC Trojan Family" that the school will return Bush's award to the Heisman Trophy Trust and remove "all jerseys and murals" that recognize the running back's college career by mid-August.
"The Trojan Family honors and respects the USC sporting careers of those persons whose actions did not compromise their athletic program or the opportunities of future USC student-athletes," Nikias wrote in the letter.

Nikias also announced that former USC star Pat Haden will replace Michael Garrett as the school's athletic director, effective Aug. 3. Haden played with the then-Los Angeles Rams from 1976 to 1981.

The NCAA's report, released June 10, concluded that Bush and his family accepted improper benefits from marketing agents while he played for USC.

As a result, the NCAA ruled that USC would have to vacate victories from late 2004 through the 2005 season, a period that included the Trojans' national title victory over Oklahoma in the Orange Bowl in January 2005. USC also was penalized with a two-year bowl ban and a loss of 30 scholarships over a three-year period.

Bush, who now plays for the New Orleans Saints, didn't admit any wrongdoing in public comments last month, but he expressed regret over the situation.

"This thing, regarding USC and the NCAA, is the closest thing to death without dying because I have such a great love and respect for the university," Bush said. "This has been one the toughest things I've had to deal with in my life."

Pete Carroll, who went 97-19 with two national titles in nine years as the Trojans' coach, has denied any knowledge of Bush's dealings with agents. He left USC in January to return to the NFL and coach the Seattle Seahawks.

"I do feel responsible being connected with it," Carroll said of USC's troubles. "I've also felt a responsibility, with the way it's come down, to work to try to get the message out there and defend somewhat."

Marcellus
07-20-2010, 02:52 PM
I don't blame them. Not much else you can do. Maybe this will be a deterrent.

Detoxing
07-20-2010, 02:53 PM
How exactly do you erase a player? Or a Season for that matter? It's not like we dont know who won the Orange Bowl.

It's stupid IMO.

Detoxing
07-20-2010, 02:53 PM
How exactly do you erase a player? Or a Season for that matter? It's not like we dont know who won the Orange Bowl.

It's stupid IMO.

Los Pollos Hermanos
07-20-2010, 03:12 PM
Has Mike Garrett been fired yet?

Fritz88
07-20-2010, 03:13 PM
Mecca now...

http://images.pictureshunt.com/pics/b/bunny_cry-2549.jpg

alpha_omega
07-20-2010, 03:24 PM
Seems a bit silly to me. Can you really erase something like that?

88TG88
07-20-2010, 03:27 PM
Has Mike Garrett been fired yet?

yes

talastan
07-20-2010, 03:33 PM
I personally think this is overboard IMO. While I understand the anger at Bush for the situation, it seems a little childish to get back at him by removing his existence from the school's history.

chefsos
07-20-2010, 03:44 PM
Seems a bit silly to me. Can you really erase something like that?<object width="500" height="405"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Y7J_luaBbmY&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1?border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Y7J_luaBbmY&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1?border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="500" height="405"></embed></object>

Mecca
07-20-2010, 03:48 PM
It has to do with appealing the sanctions, if SC can distance itself from Bush and prove that he did those things on his own then they may be able to get less punishment, that's what it's about.

Detoxing
07-20-2010, 03:50 PM
It has to do with appealing the sanctions, if SC can distance itself from Bush and prove that he did those things on his own then they may be able to get less punishment, that's what it's about.

Yeeeeeeaahhh.............................................no.

That ain't gonna work.

Mecca
07-20-2010, 03:54 PM
The punishment is pretty much over the top so you can't really blame them for being like uh WTF?

Baconeater
07-20-2010, 03:54 PM
"I do feel responsible being connected with it," Carroll said of USC's troubles. "I've also felt a responsibility, with the way it's come down, to work to try to get the message out there and defend somewhat."
Defend what Pete? You knew damn well this was all coming and that's why you bailed.

Fucking douchebag.

Brock
07-20-2010, 03:56 PM
No, no, Pete had no idea. It was just the perfect time for him to jump to the NFL in...........Seattle? ROFL

Mecca
07-20-2010, 03:56 PM
Here's the thing, no one thought it would be this hard of a hit.

chefsos
07-20-2010, 03:57 PM
Well, then maybe USC should have taken the bull by the proverbial horns and done this BEFORE the sanctions were laid on 'em.

Brock
07-20-2010, 03:59 PM
Well, Pete obviously knew something harsh was coming down.

kstater
07-20-2010, 03:59 PM
Here's the thing, no one thought it would be this hard of a hit.

Yeah, I don't know why they thought a player receiving improper benefits would be such a problem.

Mecca
07-20-2010, 04:00 PM
Well, then maybe USC should have taken the bull by the proverbial horns and done this BEFORE the sanctions were laid on 'em.

They did do many things, the problem was the NCAA pretty much was deadset on making an example of the football program.

If you read the report there's some really shady stuff in there. Things like saying they knew what went on with Bush because "Todd McNair should have know" like hey since you should know we'll treat it as you encourage it.

Mecca
07-20-2010, 04:00 PM
Yeah, I don't know why they thought a player receiving improper benefits would be such a problem.

SC was given a harsher punishment than Alabama when half of Bama's team was being paid by boosters.

Tell me how that makes sense?

chefsos
07-20-2010, 04:02 PM
"This thing, regarding USC and the NCAA, is the closest thing to death without dying because I have such a great love and respect for the university," Bush said.Reggie Bush is full of shit. He got his, and didn't give a fuck about the consequences.

the Talking Can
07-20-2010, 04:16 PM
no one can say with a straight face that Carroll didn't know what was happening....and it is beyond obvious why he left....he's the Calipari of college football...

a two-bit liar who bailed when the gig was up...

Mecca
07-20-2010, 04:18 PM
Basically at this time in football you don't want the NCAA snooping around your program, they'll find something.

North Carolina is finding this out..Florida is under investigation, Alabama might be up for that again...

DeezNutz
07-20-2010, 04:32 PM
no one can say with a straight face that Carroll didn't know what was happening....and it is beyond obvious why he left....he's the Calipari of college football...

a two-bit liar who bailed when the gig was up...

I look forward to watching Herm Jr. fall on his ass up in Seattle.

WilliamTheIrish
07-20-2010, 04:35 PM
Typical NCAA. They knew Bush was getting cash and they knew the family was set up in a nice place they couldn't afford. But since thye had once again become a powerhouse and cash cow they ignored it. And Pete Carroll... using what little plausible deniability he has, claiming he was unaware. USC takes a little slap and all is forgiven.

I'll bet the San Diego St. track program gets the death penalty for all this.

SDChiefs
07-20-2010, 04:44 PM
I wonder if USC was responsible for returning Kim Kardashian. Maybe thats why Reggie is so upset.

CoMoChief
07-20-2010, 04:56 PM
I think its funny how a lot of these Universities and the NCAA in general make millions of dollars off of these players during their school years, exploiting them like no other and milking them for every penny theyre worth.....then NCAA has the power to go right back after those players/school and drop sanctions on them. If that's not being hypocritical I dont know what is. I understand why it needs to be done and why certain rules are set in place.....it's just kinda a messed up system IMO.

Reerun_KC
07-20-2010, 05:50 PM
I personally think this is overboard IMO. While I understand the anger at Bush for the situation, it seems a little childish to get back at him by removing his existence from the school's history.

After turning the other cheek while he was there running up and down the field...

Such garbage.... USC should be ashamed that they are acting like they are taking a high road...

Mecca? ROFL go fuck yourself loser boy...

Reerun_KC
07-20-2010, 05:50 PM
Typical NCAA. They knew Bush was getting cash and they knew the family was set up in a nice place they couldn't afford. But since thye had once again become a powerhouse and cash cow they ignored it. And Pete Carroll... using what little plausible deniability he has, claiming he was unaware. USC takes a little slap and all is forgiven.

I'll bet the San Diego St. track program gets the death penalty for all this.

This

Gadzooks
07-20-2010, 05:58 PM
Mecca - time to root for San Jose State. You'll just have to get used to the new colors and lack of foul play...
http://www.degreedriven.com/images/logo/16WNVTNGEE.jpg

Demonpenz
07-20-2010, 06:13 PM
The kicker ended up being the real team captain

Mecca
07-20-2010, 06:35 PM
The penalty is far more severe than a slap on the wrist, are you guys retards or do you just play them on the forum?

the Talking Can
07-20-2010, 06:42 PM
The penalty is far more severe than a slap on the wrist, are you guys retards or do you just play them on the forum?

usc is guilty and deserves it, and Carroll is a lying scumbag....you fucking retard

Brock
07-20-2010, 08:00 PM

http://www.tips4healthy.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/crying-child.jpg

DaneMcCloud
07-21-2010, 12:04 AM
Pat Haden's the new AD and the NCAA will LOVE that hire.

I'm betting the sentence gets reduced, big time. The NCAA isn't stupid and they know that USC is a cash cow.

And regardless of what you outsiders think, USC is going no where. They'll be ranked in the top ten this year and challenge for a national title next year.

And I'm not a USC fan, I'm just an informed football observer.

LaChapelle
07-21-2010, 06:12 AM
Sanchez is USC's last chance
for Carrol to have mattered

WilliamTheIrish
07-21-2010, 07:04 AM

It's an absolute slap on the wrist. The penalties could have and in reality should have been vacating any wins and any hardware associated with them.

Bush was being paid (which I have zero issue with) with the full knowledge of the staff and AD and anybody who could see beyond their basement walls. You're rationalization is shortsighted and pretty much stupid.

Molitoth
07-21-2010, 08:11 AM
Regardless of what happened.... USC still went out on the field and whooped ass.

Taking away wins is silly. Stupid NCAA.

milkman
07-21-2010, 09:11 AM
It's an absolute slap on the wrist. The penalties could have and in reality should have been vacating any wins and any hardware associated with them.

Bush was being paid (which I have zero issue with) with the full knowledge of the staff and AD and anybody who could see beyond their basement walls. You're rationalization is shortsighted and pretty much stupid.

While mecca's butthurt is clearly showing, I would say that the penalty is more than a slap on the wrist.

milkman
07-21-2010, 09:13 AM
Regardless of what happened.... USC still went out on the field and whooped ass.

Taking away wins is silly. Stupid NCAA.

Yeah, that is stupid.

But the post season ban for the next two years is what hurts them.

JASONSAUTO
07-21-2010, 11:43 AM
While mecca's butthurt is clearly showing, I would say that the penalty is more than a slap on the wrist.

yep i agree here.

Extra Point
07-21-2010, 02:14 PM
Seattle GM Bill Lumberg would say:

"Uh, mmm, Pete. We need you to, uhmm, plan for, mm, settling into another, uhmm, location, after this season. Okay?"

Pasta Giant Meatball
07-21-2010, 02:44 PM
Seattle GM Bill Lumberg would say:

"Uh, mmm, Pete. We need you to, uhmm, plan for, mm, settling into another, uhmm, location, after this season. Okay?"

"I'm going to need those TPS Rep...I mean Playbooks ASAP"