PDA

View Full Version : Life Scuba Diving. Is it hard on the ticker?

Frankie
07-21-2010, 12:51 PM
I'm not talking about adventurous open ocean stuff. Just peaceful outings in the local lakes. I have always wanted to learn to do it. As a lot of you know, though, I have a somewhat damaged ticker due to a heart attack in '06. Anyhow, now that I have retired I would like to try it. I'm waiting for my next appointment with my cardiologist to ask him. In the meantime if any of you have any experience, can you fill me in?

chiefsnorth
07-21-2010, 01:01 PM
"What's there to see under the water?"

Groves
07-21-2010, 01:03 PM
A stingray barb through the ol pumper is not something your doc is gonna ok. I don't think the rest of it is to worry about.

I say all of this having no idea how strong your heart is, of course.

BigRichard
07-21-2010, 01:04 PM
I am not sure about what the pressure might do but the activity is very relaxing and does not require too much physical exersion.

Frankie
07-21-2010, 01:11 PM
A stingray barb through the ol pumper is not something your doc is gonna ok. I don't think the rest of it is to worry about.

Strong enough that I built an addition to my house in the last three years.

Frankie
07-21-2010, 01:12 PM
"What's there to see under the water?"

Let's say I like murky waters and little schools of fish swimming around.

Groves
07-21-2010, 01:12 PM
Strong enough that I built an addition to my house in the last three years.

It sounds like you've answered your own question there, Mr. Villa.

Let us know how it goes.

Hog Farmer
07-21-2010, 02:48 PM
Fuck what the doctor says ! They will never let you live a REAL life. Haven't you ever heard the old saying "There's more old drunks than there are old Doctors" ? It's got some truth.

Get some cinder blocks ,tie them to your feet and jump the fuck in. Don't forget your snorkel !

CoMoChief
07-21-2010, 02:54 PM
I took scuba lessons down at Table Rock Lake. That's really the only lake around here where you can actually see shit underwater.

greg63
07-21-2010, 02:57 PM

Someone should mention what happened to the crock hunter...oh wait.

KCUnited
07-21-2010, 03:01 PM
There is always a panic factor when breathing underwater no matter if it's a lake or the open water. At one time I believe heart conditions were the number one killer of divers. Not more than a few years ago, dive operators would refuse people who have had heart attacks or other heart conditions. They have since backed off that stance a bit in recent years.

There is a good amount of literature on the net regarding diving with conditions, I would encourage you to do some research as well as talk to your doctor.

Pants
07-21-2010, 03:15 PM
There is always a panic factor when breathing underwater no matter if it's a lake or the open water. At one time I believe heart conditions were the number one killer of divers. Not more than a few years ago, dive operators would refuse people who have had heart attacks or other heart conditions. They have since backed off that stance a bit in recent years.

There is a good amount of literature on the net regarding diving with conditions, I would encourage you to do some research as well as talk to your doctor.

I always wondered, could you just close your eyes to take the first breath? I always imagined my brain absolutely refusing to take that first breath if I see water in front of my face.

Toadkiller
07-21-2010, 03:22 PM
My friend just passed away while scuba diving. Granted he didn't even make it under before he died, and it looks like it was not dive related but shit happens.

http://www.ocregister.com/news/water-258487-montague-beach.html

kcchiefsus
07-21-2010, 03:51 PM
My dad has a pacemaker and he still does scuba. I believe he is supposed to have a depth limitation of 50 yards (or 50 feet, not sure which) but he still goes deeper on occasion.

I would think you would be alright. He will probably just give you a depth limitation so you don't go deep enough to where the pressure is too much. As long as you remain calm while down there and remember what you have learned I would think you will be fine.

ChiefsNow
07-21-2010, 05:33 PM
Just be sure not to smoke while you are down there.

CrazyPhuD
07-21-2010, 05:44 PM
Muff diving probably has a higher heart attack risk.

stlchiefs
07-21-2010, 07:06 PM
My FIL has AFib and other heart conditions and has no problems diving. We are all PADI certified and he has never had any limitations set on him by a divemaster. Take your classes, remember what you learned and have a good time. Diving is not a cardio intensive activity by any means, kick your legs a bit and you're moving along. That's a reason old, over weight and all kinds of people are divers.

Fritz88
07-21-2010, 07:17 PM
What's to see under a lake?

Frankie
07-21-2010, 07:18 PM
Just be sure not to smoke while you are down there.

I'm not planning to dive in the Gulf.

stlchiefs
07-21-2010, 07:20 PM
What's to see under a lake?

e coli, turds

Hog Farmer
07-21-2010, 07:53 PM
Muff diving probably has a higher heart attack risk.

Actually that led to a long term cancer for me.