PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft NBC Sports: Rookies who will shine, rookies who will stink

Ugly Duck
07-23-2010, 02:06 PM
NOTE: KC safeties give up 262 yards to Jamaal Charles

Rookies who will shine

Eric Berry, Chiefs SS Kansas City’s safeties were painfully overmatched last season, rolling over for 327 yards to a then-maligned Kevin Kolb, 250 yards to spot-starter Miles Austin, 298 yards to relative unknown Jerome Harrison, and finally 262 yards to breakout star Jamaal Charles in the finale. Enter the magic elixir at No. 5 overall. Drawing comparisons to All-Pros Ed Reed and Troy Polamalu, Berry was a consensus top-five talent. A sure tackler with elite athleticism, Berry will open the season as the starting strong safety. The Jim Thorpe Award winner is the total package as a can’t-miss safety.

Ryan Matthews, Chargers RB Mathews became the odds-on favorite for Rookie of the Year honors when he was drafted 12th overall. After rushing for 1,808 yards at 6.6 per clip and 19 touchdowns at Fresno State last year, Mathews will step right into the Chargers’ starting lineup. Coach Norv Turner has also prescribed a heavy workload of 250 carries and 40 receptions for the rookie. Even with All-Pro caliber receiver Vincent Jackson set to miss a good portion of the season, Philip Rivers’ down-field marksmanship will open up the running lanes for Mathews’ fresh legs.

Rolando McClain, Raiders MLB Far and away the draft’s best middle linebacker, McClain filled a major defensive need while finally earning the Raiders a grudging praise from draftniks. He’ll step in as the immediate starter and a potential leader, shoring up a shoddy Oakland run defense. The “standout from the beginning” among Raiders rookies, McClain has reportedly been a “beast” in the middle during offseason practices. With a reputation as a film junkie who controlled the entire defense at Alabama, McClain also brings a high football IQ. He’s the heavy favorite to lead all rookie defenders in tackles.

Rookies who will stink

Dexter McCluster, Chiefs WR/RB/KR Jamaal Charles was arguably the most effective per-touch running back in the league late last year, and physical veteran Thomas Jones was signed as a between-the-tackles the complement. That leaves McCluster to handle the Percy Harvin slot/Wildcat/returner role. The problem is that McCluster has neither Harvin's talent or physicality. Harvin is one of the league's strongest receivers, but McCluster may be the league's most fragile slot man at a slight 5-8, 165 pounds. Can he take the brutal licks? Can he beat the jam at the line of scrimmage? He'll have much to prove on both counts while splitting snaps with Todd Haley favorite Jerheme Urban as the No. 3 receiver.

Demaryius Thomas, Broncos WR Thomas ran only the most basic routes coming out of Georgia Tech's flexbone offense, rarely cutting or changing direction. Missing out on offseason practices, therefore, was more problematic to Thomas than it would have been for most first-round receivers. “Bay-Bay" does offer a tremendous size/speed package as a situational deep threat and red-zone weapon for the Broncos. Still, it’s going to take at least a year or two before he can consistently beat NFL corners to the point where he can be considered a viable No. 1 receiver.

Tim Tebow, Broncos QB Tebow has a lot going for him, not the least of which are an impeccable college career, an unquestioned work ethic, and one of the game's best teachers in Josh McDaniels. On the flip side, he also entered the league lacking in several basic NFL quarterback skills. Tebow will play. Similar to his freshman season at Florida, Tebow will offer the Broncos a different look on goal-line packages. The rest of his rookie season will be spent watching Kyle "Pro Bowl" Orton learning how to read defenses, adjust his mechanics and develop arm strength. Whether or not Tebow becomes a star at this level, we’re at least a year from finding out.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/38353821/displaymode/1247/?beginSlide=1

DeezNutz
07-23-2010, 02:07 PM
Sweet!

Shit!

***full disclosure: I am not a GM, so take my reaction with a grain of salt***

DA_T_84
07-23-2010, 02:08 PM
Rookies who will stink

Dexter McCluster, Chiefs WR/RB/KR Jamaal Charles was arguably the most effective per-touch running back in the league late last year, and physical veteran Thomas Jones was signed as a between-the-tackles the complement. That leaves McCluster to handle the Percy Harvin slot/Wildcat/returner role. The problem is that McCluster has neither Harvin's talent or physicality. Harvin is one of the league's strongest receivers, but McCluster may be the league's most fragile slot man at a slight 5-8, 165 pounds. Can he take the brutal licks? Can he beat the jam at the line of scrimmage? He'll have much to prove on both counts while splitting snaps with Todd Haley favorite Jerheme Urban as the No. 3 receiver.

KEEP HATING. KEEP DOUBTING. YOU'LL SEE. YOU'LL ALL SEE.

Detoxing
07-23-2010, 02:09 PM
I didn't know we surrendered that many yards to Jamaal Charles.

Mr. Laz

Rookies who will shine

Eric Berry, Chiefs SS and finally 262 yards to breakout star Jamaal Charles in the finale.
???

are they saying we gave up 262 yards to ourselves?

blaise
I wonder what the over/under would be on TDs either run in by Tebow or thrown by Tebow for next year. They have to have some goal line plays that involve him.

Zeke
07-23-2010, 02:12 PM
???

Apparently we were THAT bad.

KCrockaholic
07-23-2010, 02:14 PM
The only Chiefs rookie I can see actually stinking is Kendrick Lewis. Even at that I think he will do fine. Sheffield is probably not going to make much of an impact.

Ugly Duck
07-23-2010, 02:14 PM
???

That is how bad you guyz suck, dude...

ClevelandBronco
07-23-2010, 02:15 PM
...Rookies who will stink

Tim Tebow, Broncos QB...

He's a rookie QB. He's supposed to stink. It's practically in his job description, for Pete's sake.

blaise
07-23-2010, 02:16 PM
He's a rookie QB. He's supposed to stink. It's practically in his job description, for Pete's sake.

I know, now Orton will have earned his stinkiness through years of experience.

KCrockaholic
07-23-2010, 02:17 PM
That is how bad you guyz suckED, dude...

fixed

Ugly Duck
07-23-2010, 02:19 PM
He's (Tebow) supposed to stink. It's practically in his job description, for Pete's sake.

Well then I guess McDaniels is one helluva drafter....

DBOSHO
07-23-2010, 02:19 PM
apparently mccluster is percy harvin now.

ChiefGator
07-23-2010, 02:34 PM
apparently mccluster is percy harvin now.

And apparently Percy Harvin is super-strong now... News to me. I think he is just fast and QUICK.

-King-
07-23-2010, 02:39 PM
Yep, I remember that game. Jamaal Charles got each handoff and just kept running backwards toward our end zone. I tried to tell him to stop but he just kept going! By the time someone told him not to go backwards, he had already run 262 yards against us. Terrible day.

Red Brooklyn
07-23-2010, 02:42 PM
Guys, what if Tebow is like... awesome? What if he's like... reeeeeeeeeeally awesome?

ClevelandBronco
07-23-2010, 02:49 PM
Guys, what if Tebow is like... awesome? What if he's like... reeeeeeeeeeally awesome?

They'll change the conversation to Joe Montana.

keg in kc
07-23-2010, 02:54 PM
Guys, what if Tebow is like... awesome? What if he's like... reeeeeeeeeeally awesome?But still plays 3rd fiddle in the division to future hall of famer Philip Rivers and multiple time Superbowl MVP Matt Cassel.

Hey, you're the one bringing up total fantasy...

Fritz88
07-23-2010, 02:56 PM

Rookies who will shine

Ryan Matthews, Chargers RB Mathews became the odds-on favorite for Rookie of the Year honors when he was drafted 12th overall. After rushing for 1,808 yards at 6.6 per clip and 19 touchdowns at Fresno State last year, Mathews will step right into the Chargers’ starting lineup. Coach Norv Turner has also prescribed a heavy workload of 250 carries and 40 receptions for the rookie. Even with All-Pro caliber receiver Vincent Jackson set to miss a good portion of the season, Philip Rivers’ down-field marksmanship will open up the running lanes for Mathews’ fresh legs.

I highly doubt it. Sorry Buck.

crazycoffey
07-23-2010, 02:58 PM

I know, I had to re-read that sentence a few times myself. guess I'm getting tired, off to bed.

Red Brooklyn
07-23-2010, 03:23 PM
They'll change the conversation to Joe Montana.
:D

Well played, sir.

Red Brooklyn
07-23-2010, 03:25 PM
But still plays 3rd fiddle in the division to future hall of famer Philip Rivers and multiple time Superbowl MVP Matt Cassel.

So many people just seem so certain that he'll fail. What happens if he doesn't? What does that mean for Denver? And more importantly what does that mean for KC?

Even if Tebow's not the second coming... what are the odds - what are the real chances he's better than Cassel?

boogblaster
07-23-2010, 03:35 PM
Cassel will throw for 4000 yards .. 4 yards at a time .....

Red Brooklyn
07-23-2010, 03:37 PM
:LOL:

sedated
07-23-2010, 03:39 PM
and why do the safeties get the blame for Jerome Harrison?

Red Brooklyn
07-23-2010, 03:44 PM
and why do the safeties get the blame for Jerome Harrison?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_aPXZDciYxqI/Sy6rt6eX9dI/AAAAAAAADks/hfY8j_WzQDE/s320/browns-vs-chiefs-final-score.jpg

bobbything
07-23-2010, 03:45 PM
Wasn't Dante Hall a slot receiver, and about the same size as McCluster?

OnTheWarpath58
07-23-2010, 03:48 PM
Wasn't Dante Hall a slot receiver, and about the same size as McCluster?

If by the "same size," you actually mean, "the same height but 20 pounds heavier than McCluster," then yes.

And Dante couldn't take the beating.

WildTurkey
07-23-2010, 03:48 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_aPXZDciYxqI/Sy6rt6eX9dI/AAAAAAAADks/hfY8j_WzQDE/s320/browns-vs-chiefs-final-score.jpg

ROFL pictures are worth a thousand words...... rep NOTE that is Joshua Cribbs in your pic not Harrison

ChiefGator
07-23-2010, 04:28 PM
Yep, I remember that game. Jamaal Charles got each handoff and just kept running backwards toward our end zone. I tried to tell him to stop but he just kept going! By the time someone told him not to go backwards, he had already run 262 yards against us. Terrible day.

Yeah, and scored four safeties against us too... that guy is the wiley coyote.

So, McCluster is going to *STINK* because he "behind" Charles and Jones. Yeeeahhh... Who the hell reports for NBC Sports anyway?

vailpass
07-23-2010, 04:33 PM
But still plays 3rd fiddle in the division to future hall of famer Philip Rivers and multiple time Superbowl MVP Matt Cassel.

ROFL
Nice

Red Brooklyn
07-23-2010, 05:39 PM
ROFL pictures are worth a thousand words...... rep NOTE that is Joshua Cribbs in your pic not Harrison

Right. But I was more trying to "highlight" Mike Brown. :D

WildTurkey
07-23-2010, 05:41 PM
Right. But I was more trying to "highlight" Mike Brown. :D

yes and you did a fine job :clap:

ChiefMojo
07-23-2010, 08:35 PM
Did NBC Sports actually watch McCluster in college at Ole Miss? The guy was a workhorse RB in so many ways (at multiple positions). If he could withstand the punishment in the SEC, then he will be fine in the NFL. Sure the NFL is a step up, but it wasn't like he was facing someone like Tabor College every week.

Just another classic case of someone seeing his size and discounting him right away. Those little fellers have been doubted all their lives... just keep hating! I wonder how many times Darren Sproles was told he would never amount to anything?

OnTheWarpath58
07-23-2010, 08:38 PM
Did NBC Sports actually watch McCluster in college at Ole Miss? The guy was a workhorse RB in so many ways (at multiple positions). If he could withstand the punishment in the SEC, then he will be fine in the NFL. Sure the NFL is a step up, but it wasn't like he was facing someone like Tabor College every week.

Just another classic case of someone seeing his size and discounting him right away. Those little fellers have been doubted all their lives... just keep hating! I wonder how many times Darren Sproles was told he would never amount to anything?

Sure, the SEC is a power conference, churning out NFL players.

But even in the SEC, the majority never make the league.

The NFL is the best of the best. Not some kid from Tuscaloosa that's now selling insurance.

And FTR, Sproles isn't exactly anything special. Another guy like Dante Hall that will have 3-4 decent seasons, then drop off the face of the earth.

alpha_omega
07-23-2010, 08:46 PM

I had to read it 3 times to make sure I was reading it right.

This article has NO credability whatsoever!

Hog Farmer
07-23-2010, 09:52 PM
Idon't understand how McCluster will get hurt if he never gets tackled ?

Shaid
07-23-2010, 10:53 PM

My first thought as well. Good reporting.

KCrockaholic
07-23-2010, 10:54 PM
I remember McCluster carrying the ball around 35 times in a bowl game last year. It was impressive to see Ole Miss just continue to feed the guy the ball and he didn't lose a step.

I'm not too worried about him getting injured. He makes our offense dynamic and different than what it was last year, but I think the injury thing is a bit blown out of proportion.