PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Good place to buy wood for smoking in Lees Summit/Raymore?

allen_kcCard
07-23-2010, 03:23 PM
I ran out of wood last time I smoked and want to do a turkey this weekend, but don't want to drive over to Smoke n' Fire where I got my last bag of wood.

Anyone know of a good place to get some wood for smoking around Lees Summit or Raymore?

Reaper16
07-23-2010, 04:40 PM
I only get smoking wood from Woodyard in KCK.

JoeyChuckles
07-23-2010, 07:30 PM
I hear trees make good wood.

kysirsoze
07-23-2010, 08:01 PM
Honestly read "wood" as "weed." I feel a spin-off thread coming on....

Phobia
07-23-2010, 11:33 PM
What do you need? I have some cherry and maple.

BigRedChief
07-24-2010, 12:37 AM
What do you need? I have some cherry and maple.I used a cheater smoker. Phil is the expert.

allen_kcCard
07-24-2010, 08:21 AM
What do you need? I have some cherry and maple.

Was going to get apple, cherry, or pecan. I need some other stuff still anyway, so I'm going to run to smoke n fire today to get some to last me. Looked like the Woodshack place mentioned above is further than smoke n fire.

Going to do a turkey, been thawing since yesterday, will get the brine on it today, and then smoke it starting tomorrow morning.

BigOlChiefsfan
07-29-2010, 08:05 AM
Call the folks at Unity Village, ask if you can walk thru their apple orchard and pick up any fallen apple-branches. That's a pretty good place to look for mushrooms in the right season, too. When I lived closer, if I asked first they always were happy to let me 'forage'.

NewChief
07-29-2010, 08:23 AM
We just cut down a cherry tree in my backyard to make way for our addition. A buddy, who heats with wood year round, took the wood for helping me cut it down (I kept the butt and some of the big pieces to potentially mill into a piece of furniture or some lumber). I told him that there might be some actual money in the wood and he might want to look into selling it to a BBQer instead of just burning it.

So my question: how much does cherry sell for? It's already been cut into 12-14" sections. Hasn't been split yet.

Phobia
07-29-2010, 08:25 AM
Cherry is probably $3-400 a chord. If I were him, I'd trade the cherry for a couple chords of something else more suited for burning.

NewChief
07-29-2010, 08:26 AM
Cherry is probably $3-400 a chord. If I were him, I'd trade the cherry for a couple chords of something else more suited for burning.

That was my feeling as well. I hate to see him just burn it up when I know there are other people who would get more use out of it. It's still got to season for a year or so, so we have some time to work a trade.

Phobia
07-29-2010, 08:28 AM
It would need to season for fireplace burning but smokers will burn it green.

NewChief
07-29-2010, 09:48 AM
It would need to season for fireplace burning but smokers will burn it green.

Ahh, good to know.