PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink I need a new grill

Guru
08-03-2010, 03:16 PM
Not looking to spend a fortune on one but I need recommendations of grills that I can at least get more than a couple years out of and won't have super hot spots that burn the meat that I have to avoid. Just something that will cook evenly and give me a lot of years.

I prefer propane over charcoal too as I don't like to mess with the clean up.

Hydrae
08-03-2010, 03:19 PM
Frazod tried to melt one last week, he can probably point you in the right direction (for a new one, not the old, melted one).

BigMeatballDave
08-03-2010, 03:20 PM
Did Frazod come over and destroy yours too?

Dayze
08-03-2010, 03:20 PM
i bought my weber spirit after going for the cheap char broil brand that went belly up within 2 years...

my weber does everything great, and it won't break the bank.

Guru
08-03-2010, 03:24 PM
i bought my weber spirit after going for the cheap char broil brand that went belly up within 2 years...

my weber does everything great, and it won't break the bank.$499? My wife might have a problem with that. heh

Bacon Cheeseburger
08-03-2010, 03:31 PM
Well, there's Weber and Ducane, and then there's everyone else.

Frazod
08-03-2010, 03:33 PM
This is the grill I bought on Sunday after I nuked my old one.

http://www.charbroil.com/ProductInfo/4-96-1737/Fourburner-Grill-with-Sideburner.aspx

On sale at Home Depot for $129.

I like it much better than my old grill. Seems to go through gas much faster, though. Unlike my old grill, it's not designed for use with lava rocks, and you maintain indirect heat simply by keeping a burner on that's not directly under the food.

I suspect the propane distributors may have had a hand in the design.

DaKCMan AP
08-03-2010, 03:34 PM
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRL2RsjOEmxmJhqihVEeFpFwNqsE95SFziDZG9WwUq0dFOpqSg&t=1&usg=__s0db5o8G_xAwcl8tpfxyxyKk6Rg=http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQN3nBI0o6_gxEy-zHMqYd09WiNkIShO2oFy0ADSbDGV0Xl0CE&t=1&usg=__t7wZkj-BkYVvlyP9gTrFMYr3AS8=http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQAWodDGJ3ihM5mZ_OHGjR5z-LoyrbnDwtMaw-BGqk0sS15oIw&t=1&usg=__usi_ACq3pGd6SJbdDTpYjAuEs1M=

gblowfish
08-03-2010, 03:34 PM
You may spend $400 on a Weber, but it will last two to three times longer than an el cheapo gas grill. Plus, you get better control over heat distribution, and it just cooks better. Worth every penny, trust me.

Our local Ace Hardware was having and end of season sale on a little Weber Spirit Grill, I think it was just at $400. I have a Weber Genesis, which is a little bigger and has more features. Both rock and cook like a champ. Whatever you buy, get a grill cover and keep it out of the rain and snow. It'll last a lot longer. And buy a spare propane tank so you never run out of gas mid-cooking session. That's a real pisser!

beach tribe
08-03-2010, 03:37 PM
Affordabilty: Check!
Propane: Check!
Did you say Mobility? No?.....Bonus.

A little assembly required, involving general red neck, or afro engineering.
http://m.collegehumor.com/picture:1771715

Delaney37
08-03-2010, 03:38 PM
I just got a Char-Griller Grillin Pro 3001 about a month ago. I got it at Lowe's for $169. I added a universal grill under the burners so I can use some wood chips for smokin'. So far I have been quite impressed with the results.

Stewie
08-03-2010, 03:39 PM
You may spend $400 on a Weber, but it will last two to three times longer than an el cheapo gas grill. Plus, you get better control over heat distribution, and it just cooks better. Worth every penny, trust me.

Yep. I have a Weber Genesis Gold that I bought 10 years ago. I've done nothing to it but routine maintenance and replace the igniter. Mine is a natural gas model so I don't have to mess with tanks. Still performs like the day I bought it.

Fish
08-03-2010, 03:41 PM
Affordabilty: Check!
Propane: Check!
Did you say Mobility? No?.....Bonus.

A little assembly required, involving general red neck, or afro engineering.
http://m.collegehumor.com/picture:1771715

You're posting the mobile version with a really really tiny pic... here's the full pic...

http://1.media.collegehumor.cvcdn.com/c/5/collegehumor.1fa110dc4248a8c527d2ca65e839e9e8.jpg

bluehawkdoc
08-03-2010, 03:42 PM
Wife bought me a Weber Genesis after two previous grills that were disasters. (hot spots, etc). Initially, I was in sphincter lock-down when I saw the price tag but she reminded me that I had already spent that same amount on the other two losers bought previously. As stated above, heat distribution is no longer an issue. I can actually leave the grill for 2 seconds with out burning something. I am in heaven...

CHENZ A!
08-03-2010, 03:42 PM
Call TV johnny
Posted via Mobile Device

Mojo Jojo
08-03-2010, 03:45 PM
Quick question...are just grilling, are you looking to do smoking?

Anyway spend the money up front...the grill will last longer. If you save $100/$200 now you will spend more than that replacing the grill before a better one dies.

You need to ask yourself...when I'm willing to reinvest in my next grill...2/3years or 7/10 years.

MOhillbilly
08-03-2010, 03:47 PM
OK you lost me at propane. check graigs list, more bang for your buck. I got a used OK joe awhile back. AWESOME!!!!

BIG_DADDY
08-03-2010, 03:47 PM
My traeger pellet smoker was one of the best investments I ever made. I will probably pick up a new one next year.

MOhillbilly
08-03-2010, 03:51 PM
fuck

38yrsfan
08-03-2010, 03:52 PM
Not looking to spend a fortune on one but I need recommendations of grills that I can at least get more than a couple years out of and won't have super hot spots that burn the meat that I have to avoid. Just something that will cook evenly and give me a lot of years.

I prefer propane over charcoal too as I don't like to mess with the clean up.

Might as well use a stove then. That's not BBQ, that's cooking.

MOhillbilly
08-03-2010, 03:53 PM

you tell em Hoss!!!

Guru
08-03-2010, 03:59 PM

Well, we are spur of the moment eaters. I don't like having to wait for the charcoal to get up to temp and I don't like having to empty it after I'm done. I am more about simple.

Plus, I am not a great griller anyway so I would never know the difference on my own cooking.

Guru
08-03-2010, 04:00 PM
Quick question...are just grilling, are you looking to do smoking?

Anyway spend the money up front...the grill will last longer. If you save $100/$200 now you will spend more than that replacing the grill before a better one dies.

You need to ask yourself...when I'm willing to reinvest in my next grill...2/3years or 7/10 years.
Only grilling. I won't even attempt smoking.

DaFace
08-03-2010, 04:01 PM

Technically, simply cooking over charcoal isn't BBQ either.

I'm a big fan of propane. Most of the flavor comes from burning grease rather than the charcoal itself anyway.

DaFace
08-03-2010, 04:03 PM
I'll throw out another vote for the Weber grills, though I certainly understand if it's out of the price range. I bought my Genesis when we moved into our house last year. Since then, I've been asked to cook on two others' cheapo grills at parties. Both times, I got so frustrated that I just about started throwing things. It's just so much harder to keep the temperature even throughout, not to mention prevent flareups.

Guru
08-03-2010, 04:05 PM
I'll throw out another vote for the Weber grills, though I certainly understand if it's out of the price range. I bought my Genesis when we moved into our house last year. Since then, I've been asked to cook on two others' cheapo grills at parties. Both times, I got so frustrated that I just about started throwing things. It's just so much harder to keep the temperature even throughout, not to mention prevent flareups.

I am not opposed to the higher end grills but I really wanted to stay around 300 or less. I would have a very hard time selling 500 bucks to my wife.

We only grill about once per week and it is very basic stuff. I grill meat. That is about the extent of my expertise.

Stewie
08-03-2010, 04:08 PM
Well, we are spur of the moment eaters. I don't like having to wait for the charcoal to get up to temp and I don't like having to empty it after I'm done. I am more about simple.

Plus, I am not a great griller anyway so I would never know the difference on my own cooking.

I have two smokers (and BBQ competitively) but use my Weber alot more than either of them. I, too, am a last minute griller and it's a hell of a lot tastier than anything you can do with a kitchen range.

Stewie
08-03-2010, 04:09 PM
I am not opposed to the higher end grills but I really wanted to stay around 300 or less. I would have a very hard time selling 500 bucks to my wife.

We only grill about once per week and it is very basic stuff. I grill meat. That is about the extent of my expertise.

I bought my Weber at one of those overstock places. It was 1/2 off. I don't know if there's anything like that where you are but it's worth investigating.

beach tribe
08-03-2010, 04:10 PM
http://t2.gstatic.com/=1&usg=__usi_ACq3pGd6SJbdDTpYjAuEs1M=

I still cant believe people....well certain people. You know who they are... think that it is really cool to put crap like that in their
mouths. I'll refrain from using the word, because I'm positive it would be misinterpreted, even though there is no racial criteria that you need to meet to qualify for status. It's actually quite an ethnically diverse club, but no matter what walk of life they are from originally, you can count on being able spot them holding up their pants with one hand, just in time to hide your bike. I really get a kick out of the born rich, suburban ones who would steal your shit just to do it.
In case you are wondering, Yes, I got my shit robbed the other night by some fn
little "gangstas" because my ex-and my sister got drunk and let them come over.
I have fought with groups of these ****ers as large as ten deep.....alone.(not these particular members, but they really are all the same stupid cliche')
Thank god for the unscrewable plunger handles. At least I got the number down to about 6 before they overran me. Luckily the plunger handle was broken when they got it away from me, and stomped my ass. They would not come within 50 feet of me after that though. Certainly not without a Lincoln Navigator filled to the brim.
Well, there's a rant for you.
I'm just worked up because they let some little punks I don't know in my house, and they did exactly what I could have told them they would do.
That fighting crap happened over 5 years ago, and I have never been so close to wanting to get scrappy again. I'm a little old for fighting, but if I see these bastards, I'm going to explain why you shouldn't be a lowlife piece of shit in a way that they think they understand. From what I've learned, that's exactly right. They THINK they are hard until they see someone who is not "acting" at all. No posturing. No shit talking.

Damn..........I'm having a mid life crisis a little early.

Guru
08-03-2010, 04:16 PM
I bought my Weber at one of those overstock places. It was 1/2 off. I don't know if there's anything like that where you are but it's worth investigating.

If we have one around here in Topeka, Lawrence or KC I don't know anything about it.

Shag
08-03-2010, 04:18 PM

I have a buddy with a Weber Q320, which you should be able to get at around $300. It's smaller, but he absolutely loves it...

Guru
08-03-2010, 04:24 PM
Lets say I go with a Weber round charcoal grill, how big would it have to be for a family of 6 but 3 of them are under 10 years of age?

Walmart has a 22.5 inch grill for $160.

also, how much will I spend on charcoal if I am grilling once per week?

Not saying I definitely want to go this route but am willing to at least look at it.

Stewie
08-03-2010, 04:29 PM
Lets say I go with a Weber round charcoal grill, how big would it have to be for a family of 6 but 3 of them are under 10 years of age?

Walmart has a 22.5 inch grill for $160.

also, how much will I spend on charcoal if I am grilling once per week?

Not saying I definitely want to go this route but am willing to at least look at it.

About $1-2/grill for the charcoal depending on what you're doing. Buy a chimney starter ($8-9) if you go this route. No lighter fluid.

beach tribe
08-03-2010, 04:30 PM
You're posting the mobile version with a really really tiny pic... here's the full pic...

http://1.media.collegehumor.cvcdn.com/c/5/collegehumor.1fa110dc4248a8c527d2ca65e839e9e8.jpg

Yeah, I'm in a hotel in Chinatown in Boston.
No wifi. Using the phone. This place is packed. I could not get a room anywhere but here. Unlimited budget too. All Co. Financed.
Eh, it's not that bad. Courtyard.

chasedude
08-03-2010, 04:33 PM
Any propane grill can be turned into a smoker. Wrap your woodchips in some Aluminum foil and cut a few slits in the top. Place the package under the grates on top of the burner. Pow! instant woodsmoke added

DaFace
08-03-2010, 04:35 PM
Any propane grill can be turned into a smoker. Wrap your woodchips in some Aluminum foil and cut a few slits in the top. Place the package under the grates on top of the burner. Pow! instant woodsmoke added

I've never had much luck keeping the smoke going while keeping the temperature low on mine. I'm looking into a standalone smoker instead.

38yrsfan
08-03-2010, 04:45 PM
I've had good luck with the Webers, 2 in the last 20+ years, though the dumb sh*t engineer that did the ash control and collection on the 2nd one should have been fired - looks good but doesn't work as well as it should.

Yep, a chimney is a great way to start the charcoal - good point!

Buy the charcoal when it's on sale and stock up - I use mine about 3 - 4 times a week and will go through a 18lb bag ($6-8), less if it's mostly burgers and dogs.

Honestly, there is slight difference in flavor between charcoal and propane if properly cooked unless of course you drop something in the ashes (mix that one in with the rest after a quick brush off, it's still good) :).

I was a very poor BBQ'er until a person of experience gave me some excellent advice and tips - the big thing about BBQ is preparation and timing - I use a timer for all the cooking and a meat thermometer for the thicker stuff.

Reaper16
08-03-2010, 04:46 PM
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:uqshWErtb2K_fM:http://i631.photobucket.com/albums/uu31/iceman78/P1030719.jpg&t=1

Five bucks at a garage sale.

Bwana
08-03-2010, 04:48 PM
I kind of warm up to this one.

http://joyerickson.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/bbq.jpg

Mojo Jojo
08-03-2010, 04:52 PM
Sorry you chose gas, but you gotta do what you gotta do.
Anyway bottom line...spend the money...get what you want/what you need. Buying cheap now only means you will spend more over the years. Right out of college I tried to save money and get what I could....seven/eight years later I spent a lot, but less than I had spent replacing the others over the years, and for the following twenty-plus years only basic maintenance has been my expense.

Another thing to keep in mind...gas is mechanical...gaskets, hoses, burners, igniters that can go bad and need to be replaced.

Just my 2-cents, and you didn't even pay that.

jojomontana
08-03-2010, 04:53 PM

my weber does everything great, and it won't break the bank.

This.

Webers are awesome.

KCTitus
08-03-2010, 04:57 PM
If you can hold off until September you're liable to find some good deals heading into the fall as the hardware stores try to offload their remaining outdoor stock prior to winter.

Ive found the cheaper, 200 and below, tend to have flare up problems with grease. If you can swing around 300, get a really good cover and you're set for about 10 years. Charbroil and Weber make good products. I sent my gas grill to the dump this summer after 10 years of service -- it was a Charbroil, but Ive since turned to Weber products lately.

Guru
08-03-2010, 05:15 PM
Sorry you chose gas, but you gotta do what you gotta do.
Anyway bottom line...spend the money...get what you want/what you need. Buying cheap now only means you will spend more over the years. Right out of college I tried to save money and get what I could....seven/eight years later I spent a lot, but less than I had spent replacing the others over the years, and for the following twenty-plus years only basic maintenance has been my expense.

Another thing to keep in mind...gas is mechanical...gaskets, hoses, burners, igniters that can go bad and need to be replaced.

Just my 2-cents, and you didn't even pay that.
I'm not 100% against charcoal here. It is just not my primary preference. Your point about all the parts is well taken as that is one of my biggest peeves of gas grills. I hate paying $50- $100 for parts for a grill every 2 years.

My main issue with the charcoal is the time waiting for it to heat up and the clean up.

Guru
08-03-2010, 05:16 PM
Oh, My grill is on an enclosed deck also. 100% screened in.

Bacon Cheeseburger
08-03-2010, 05:21 PM
I'm not 100% against charcoal here. It is just not my primary preference. Your point about all the parts is well taken as that is one of my biggest peeves of gas grills. I hate paying $50- $100 for parts for a grill every 2 years.

My main issue with the charcoal is the time waiting for it to heat up and the clean up.
I never clean up my charcoal grill. Eventually the ashes overflow off the little catch plate thingy and then I hose them off the patio.

It does get to be a hassle though. I used charcoal exclusively for the past 10 years, but my brother recently moved and gave me his old propane grill and I have to admit it's nice to not have to screw with the charcoal all the time. Some things like steaks just seem to work better on a gas grill too.

So I guess what I'm saying is you need to buy one of each.

KCTitus
08-03-2010, 05:23 PM
Yeah, Ive found the elements (rain, snow, etc) do more damage to a grill than actual use. The more frequent you use the grill, the longer it will last.

Simply Red
08-03-2010, 05:26 PM
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:uqshWErtb2K_fM:http://i631.photobucket.com/albums/uu31/iceman78/P1030719.jpg&t=1

Five bucks at a garage sale.

mufucka's dope!

Simply Red
08-03-2010, 05:27 PM
This.

Webers are awesome.

SWATS? Respek, young lurker and fellow ATLien!

Frazod
08-03-2010, 05:54 PM
Oh, My grill is on an enclosed deck also. 100% screened in.

Good thing that rambleonthroughthefog douche is banned - he'd call you a lazy cunt hellbent on killing your family and everyone in your neighborhood. :D

Guru
08-03-2010, 06:07 PM
Good thing that rambleonthroughthefog douche is banned - he'd call you a lazy **** hellbent on killing your family and everyone in your neighborhood. :D

Guess I missed something here.

Frazod
08-03-2010, 06:11 PM
Guess I missed something here.

Oh shit, you did! LMAO

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?p=6911247#post6911247

Enjoy.

icepick64
08-03-2010, 06:13 PM
I just got a weber one touch silver, and it is great. Can't say enough about how good this thing cooks up some food.

MTG#10
08-03-2010, 06:20 PM
The funniest part of this thread is nobody even acknowledged beach tribe's rant...until now.

Bacon Cheeseburger
08-03-2010, 06:34 PM
The funniest part of this thread is nobody even acknowledged beach tribe's rant...until now.
It's pretty tough to derail a food-related thread, people take their grub seriously around here.

Guru
08-03-2010, 06:34 PM
Oh shit, you did! LMAO

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?p=6911247#post6911247

Enjoy.
Holy crap!!! That was epic.LMAO
I just got a weber one touch silver, and it is great. Can't say enough about how good this thing cooks up some food.

What exactly is this One Touch thing anyway? It seems to raise the price quite a bit.

ArrowheadHawk
08-03-2010, 06:43 PM
What do you guys think of Traeger. I'm thinking about getting one.

Mojo Jojo
08-03-2010, 07:17 PM
What do you guys think of Traeger. I'm thinking about getting one.

Great choice for easy/good smoking. Some love the ease and constant results...others love the challenge/sport of smoking. Either way you will be a hero to family and friends. The bottom line...did you like the results/did others like the results?

When you like what you are cooking with..you will cook better food.

googlegoogle
08-03-2010, 07:37 PM
I hate black grills.

like shiny steel.

googlegoogle
08-03-2010, 07:39 PM
I never clean up my charcoal grill. Eventually the ashes overflow off the little catch plate thingy and then I hose them off the patio.

It does get to be a hassle though. I used charcoal exclusively for the past 10 years, but my brother recently moved and gave me his old propane grill and I have to admit it's nice to not have to screw with the charcoal all the time. Some things like steaks just seem to work better on a gas grill too.

So I guess what I'm saying is you need to buy one of each.

propane = no taste.

Guru
08-03-2010, 07:50 PM
OK, is this worth it for $223? Not really what I want to spend on a charcoal but I really want a work surface.

http://www.improvementdirect.com/weber-1361001-22-1-2-one-touch-platinum-charcoal-grill-with-built-in-thermometer/p1357124?source=gba|1357124&CAWELAID=554701672#

Bacon Cheeseburger
08-03-2010, 08:01 PM
propane = no taste.
:facepalm:

ChiefButthurt
08-03-2010, 08:05 PM
Just bought this grill about 3 weeks ago......very nice.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_07116641000P?prdNo=2&blockNo=2&blockType=G2

Dayze
08-03-2010, 08:09 PM
$499? My wife might have a problem with that. heh

yeah, I just kept an eye out at sales at Home Depot; I think I got mine for $275-299. I could've sworn there were other models of the Spirit too. This was 4 years ago, so it may no longer be the case etc.

but, I paid 225 for ath POS Char Broil that went tits up in 12 months.

DaFace
08-03-2010, 08:09 PM
propane = no taste.

Only if you don't know what you are doing.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dayze
08-03-2010, 08:12 PM
If you can hold off until September you're liable to find some good deals heading into the fall as the hardware stores try to offload their remaining outdoor stock prior to winter.

this is the case that knocked off about $100 of my weber in Sept of '06.

Guru
08-03-2010, 08:14 PM
this is the case that knocked off about $100 of my weber in Sept of '06.

The only thing I worry about there is having to settle for a grill I may not really want because of stock.

Dayze
08-03-2010, 08:22 PM
The only thing I worry about there is having to settle for a grill I may not really want because of stock.

true 'dat.
looking back, I think I lucked out; I had to get one off the top top top shelf, and get home/put it together, but it went together super fast.
But, I noticed when they pulled it down with the forklift thingy, there were only about 4 boxes that looked like the one they were pulling down for me.

I think I also used a coupn thing for like 20% off w the HD card; which I then just paid off the next day over the phone.

But, even though the $ was a bit of a stretch for the weber before the sale/discount etc, I had pretty much decided it would be worth the extra $100 or so.

...I was so pissed about that other grill lol. I was cooking; went inside to do some other prep etc; noticed out of my kitchen window this thick black smoke..."WTF"? i went out there, and there were flames shooting out fom the knobs; knobs were melted off (Frazod can appreciate the smell of burning plastic :evil:). Shut off the tank etc. everythign was fooked...looked into replacement parts and I could swear I remember them being nearly as much as the grill itself.

My Father in law had his weber for years, and it worked like a champ; no issues etc. So I bought mine and it cooked great. My brother had one, and swore by it etc.

certainly a big chunk of money (for me, anyway), but it was worth it to me.

good luck in you grill search! I'm jealous; I can't use a grill since moving into the apartment.:banghead:

Bill Lundberg
08-03-2010, 08:30 PM
OK, is this worth it for $223? Not really what I want to spend on a charcoal but I really want a work surface.

http://www.improvementdirect.com/weber-1361001-22-1-2-one-touch-platinum-charcoal-grill-with-built-in-thermometer/p1357124?source=gba|1357124&CAWELAID=554701672#

I've been eyeballing this one.

http://www.improvementdirect.com/imagebase/resized/330x320/weberimages/weber1421001.jpg

Guru
08-03-2010, 08:34 PM

http://www.improvementdirect.com/imagebase/resized/330x320/weberimages/weber1421001.jpg
Yeah, I looked at that one too but it is really more than I need. The site I found the other one I linked to has that model for $295

Guru
08-03-2010, 08:36 PM
That raises another question about Webers. The lid. Is the one that Bill has a pic of the only one that has a sliding lid like that? I won't have anywhere to put my lid other than on my deck surface and I won't want that.

Bill Lundberg
08-03-2010, 08:47 PM
They all have a hook on the inside that rests on the bottom of the grill. I had both gas and charcoal for a long time and made the switch to charcoal only once I bought one of these. Hot coals in about 10 minutes, no fluid needed.

http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/06/01/97/00/0006019700191_500X500.jpg

RJ
08-03-2010, 08:54 PM
I only know charcoal.

Best wishes with the gas thing.

Bacon Cheeseburger
08-03-2010, 08:55 PM
They all have a hook on the inside that rests on the bottom of the grill. I had both gas and charcoal for a long time and made the switch to charcoal only once I bought one of these. Hot coals in about 10 minutes, no fluid needed.

What do you start them with, a fucking flamethrower?

RJ
08-03-2010, 08:55 PM

http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/06/01/97/00/0006019700191_500X500.jpg

I have given one of those to everyone in my family who uses charcoal. It's that important.

RJ
08-03-2010, 08:56 PM
What do you start them with, a ****ing flamethrower?

Newspaper and a lighter. That is all.

Bacon Cheeseburger
08-03-2010, 08:57 PM
Who the hell still gets the newspaper?

Bill Lundberg
08-03-2010, 08:57 PM
What do you start them with, a fucking flamethrower?

10 minutes might be an exaggeration but not by much. I basically fire up the chimney then start preparing the meat. Usually by the time the meat is ready, the coals are ready. If not, I open another beer and wait five minutes :).

Bacon Cheeseburger
08-03-2010, 08:59 PM
10 minutes might be an exaggeration but not by much. I basically fire up the chimney then start preparing the meat. Usually by the time the meat is ready, the coals are ready. If not, I open another beer and wait five minutes :).
So you just shove a wad of newspaper in the bottom and that's enough to get the coals going?

Bill Lundberg
08-03-2010, 09:00 PM
So you just shove a wad of newspaper in the bottom and that's enough to get the coals going?

yep. Heat rises my friend...

KCUnited
08-03-2010, 09:03 PM
I've used notebook paper or a wad of paper towels.

Bill Lundberg
08-03-2010, 09:06 PM
Sorry for the highjack, but has anyone had experience with the "Big Green Egg's"? There's one on craigslist that's reasonable. Never used anything like it before.

Bacon Cheeseburger
08-03-2010, 09:11 PM
yep. Heat rises my friend...
Yes, I am aware of that. I'm just a bit surprised because newspaper burns rather quickly.

RJ
08-03-2010, 09:12 PM
Who the hell still gets the newspaper?

Well.....me?

You could always stick 50 cents in a paper box and steal the morning supply. That would probably last a month.

Way cheaper than starter fluid and doesn't stink.

RJ
08-03-2010, 09:14 PM
Yes, I am aware of that. I'm just a bit surprised because newspaper burns rather quickly.

It burns long enough to start the coals. I very seldom have problems. High wind can screw with it a bit.

RJ
08-03-2010, 09:17 PM
Sorry for the highjack, but has anyone had experience with the "Big Green Egg's"? There's one on craigslist that's reasonable. Never used anything like it before.

My neighbor just bought a green egg knock off. He's been asking me for advice but I'm having a hard time figuring it out. That thick ceramic holds heat almost too well and definitely takes some practice.

Plus for green eg: lasts forever and holds heat.

Negative for green egg: there will be a learning curve.

OnTheWarpath58
08-03-2010, 09:17 PM

Yep. In laws have one.

Extremely easy to regulate heat. Holds heat very well.

I've been able to hold a temp as low as 160 on it, and go as high as 740.

Only downside is that even on the XL model, the grill space is limited - at least for me.

RJ
08-03-2010, 09:19 PM
Yep. In laws have one.

Extremely easy to regulate heat. Holds heat very well.

I've been able to hold a temp as low as 160 on it, and go as high as 740.

Only downside is that even on the XL model, the grill space is limited - at least for me.

And that...the grill space. I can't see how you could cook for a crowd.

Personally, I think an outdoor cook needs multiple cookers to do things right.

Guru
08-03-2010, 10:17 PM

I can't find any examples of that. What does it look like?

JoeyChuckles
08-03-2010, 10:19 PM
I don't have too much advice for you, just make sure the whole top is diamonds and the bottom row's gold.

Bacon Cheeseburger
08-03-2010, 10:28 PM
I can't find any examples of that. What does it look like?
It's just a little hook thing that is attached to the inside of the lid, and you hang it on the edge of the grill.

Guru
08-03-2010, 10:31 PM
It's just a little hook thing that is attached to the inside of the lid, and you hang it on the edge of the grill.OK, so I just need to find a decent table/workspace to put things on then.

Bacon Cheeseburger
08-03-2010, 10:50 PM
OK, so I just need to find a decent table/workspace to put things on then.
I just made a BBQ cart out of my old grill by taking the shell off and putting some treated lumber planks on it. It's kind of redneck looking but I don't care.

Guru
08-03-2010, 10:58 PM
I just ran across a Weber 22" WITH a workspace attached on craigslist for $50. I'm going to look at it later this week. It is 7 years old though so I hope it at least looks decent. It has that ash bucket on the bottom for easy cleanup too.

BIG_DADDY
08-03-2010, 11:01 PM
I just ran across a Weber 22" WITH a workspace attached on craigslist for $50. I'm going to look at it later this week. It is 7 years old though so I hope it at least looks decent. It has that ash bucket on the bottom for easy cleanup too.

There paying you $50 to pick it up? That's pretty good.

Guru
08-03-2010, 11:17 PM
There paying you $50 to pick it up? That's pretty good.OK. That was either a joke or you are telling me it isn't worth looking at. Which is it man? ;)

icepick64
08-04-2010, 05:13 AM
Holy crap!!! That was epic.LMAO

What exactly is this One Touch thing anyway? It seems to raise the price quite a bit.

The one touch is just an easier way to clean the grill, it has a little fan that sifts out the ashes into the tray below.

Dayze
08-04-2010, 07:21 AM
I concur on the charcaol chimney.
Best investment I made for the charcoal grill.

that thing works fantastic.

booyaf2
08-04-2010, 07:24 AM
You can't go wrong with any weber product. Even the 7 year old charcoal model, they're simply bulletproof. I cooked on a 18" OTS for many years and it still sits outside uncovered. A little soapy water and elbow grease and it would look good as new. I haven't used it since getting a new ceramic charcoal grill 2 years ago, but wouldn't be afraid to fire it up tonight to make anything imaginable.
To answer the big green egg question, I have the primo XL oval (made in usa), there is a small learning curve with them, but they are a smoker and a grill. The weber charcoal grills won't be real successful in trying to smoke any foods. They do however make a good smoker called a WSM.

Dayze
08-04-2010, 07:34 AM
They do however make a good smoker called a WSM.

..which I hear are excellent.
I hope to get one someday.

booyaf2
08-04-2010, 07:42 AM
My Primo smokes like a champ, or I'd have the WSM too. What I've had over the years.

CharmGlo Propane-Hey, I was young once.
Traeger Lil' Tex-Good smoker, not a good "grill" as there is no direct cooking
Weber 18" OTS-Great bang for the buck, still have it
Primo XL oval-Quite pricey, but will literally last forever, good smoker-good grill

MOhillbilly
08-04-2010, 08:05 AM
like those chimney starters. Makes a nice bed of coals and gets the temp up before you put your wood on. have a cheap walmart one and most times just strip the paper ply from the charcoal bag to start the fire.
We cook out 3-7 days a week so it saves a decent wad of cash over a years time.

Groves
08-04-2010, 08:12 AM
Do any of you propane guys have the stainless griddles? How are they compared to the porcelain covered cast iron?

MOhillbilly
08-04-2010, 08:18 AM
Mr. Barbecue Silicone Brush Basting Bottle
http://www.mrbarbq.com/grilling-enthusiast-accessories.php

Id like to get one before the season kicks off. looks awesome for no drip application of 1st & 2nd sauce.

Any other must own gadgets?

MOhillbilly
08-04-2010, 08:27 AM
Do any of you propane guys have the stainless griddles? How are they compared to the porcelain covered cast iron?

stainless heats up faster and can make the food stick but is lighter and cleans up quick.

OnTheWarpath58
08-04-2010, 09:11 AM

stainless heats up faster and can make the food stick but is lighter and cleans up quick.

This.

And a very light coating of olive oil on the meat you're grilling solves the sticking problem.

Shag
08-04-2010, 09:52 AM

My understanding is that cast iron holds heat better, will give you slightly better grill marks, and I believe will sear better (doesn't lose as much heat when the meat hit the grate). Harder to maintain, and can rust if not properly maintained...

mikeyis4dcats.
08-04-2010, 10:01 AM

drizzle a little cooking oil on the newspaper as well...

tooge
08-04-2010, 10:04 AM
BTW, if you want the best of both worlds but dont want to spend a fortune, you can buy a used webber kettle (22"), then drill a hose hole in the side, and you can convert it to gas start. I suppose you could even convert it to use coals or as by simply pulling the connection out.

BIG_DADDY
08-04-2010, 11:10 AM
OK. That was either a joke or you are telling me it isn't worth looking at. Which is it man? ;)

YOu can get a brand new 22" Webber on Amazon for $89 delivered if that's what you want.

Guru
08-04-2010, 01:53 PM
YOu can get a brand new 22" Webber on Amazon for $89 delivered if that's what you want.

Sure, if I want a silver. I want the gold and this particular unit has the functions of the Gold which sells for $150 plus it also has a workspace which would jump the value up to todays $250 model.

Guru
08-05-2010, 08:00 PM
Well, here is the new used grill...

http://images.craigslist.org/3na3oe3l65Q55T05X4a76575979863a0f14a4.jpg

It is a 27" deep with a 22.5" cook area. Huge to me. Sure hope it works out for us.

googlegoogle
08-05-2010, 08:12 PM
nice.

Groves
08-05-2010, 08:42 PM
A guy here in Springfield was selling a new in box weber e310, cobalt blue...$400

I think they sell for about double that.

I snoozed. I loozed.

Guru
08-05-2010, 08:45 PM
How much charcoal should I be using in a grill that size anyway?

Dayze
08-05-2010, 08:46 PM
nice choice. always liked those.

get yourself a chimnet starter and you'll be set. you can have the grill fired up in nearly the time of a propane.

loved my weber kettle.

BIG_DADDY
08-05-2010, 08:49 PM

It is a 27" deep with a 22.5" cook area. Huge to me. Sure hope it works out for us.

Actually that looks a lot better than I thought it would.

Guru
08-05-2010, 08:52 PM
Actually that looks a lot better than I thought it would.

Yes it does. I was really impressed with how clean he kept it. Even the inside looked great. This guy really took care of his stuff.

Bill Lundberg
08-05-2010, 09:28 PM
Go spend $10 on a chimney, you won't regret it!

Bacon Cheeseburger
08-05-2010, 09:36 PM

Hell, that looks nicer than the one I just bought last spring. But like I said, I don't ever clean mine, the ash and grease are where the flavor comes from.

DaFace
08-05-2010, 09:43 PM
A guy here in Springfield was selling a new in box weber e310, cobalt blue...$400

I think they sell for about double that.

I snoozed. I loozed.

$650 retail

Guru
08-05-2010, 10:35 PM
Hell, that looks nicer than the one I just bought last spring. But like I said, I don't ever clean mine, the ash and grease are where the flavor comes from.I'll be getting a chimney and charcoal this weekend. I'll be curious to see how well these chimneys work. Does it matter brand wise or do they all operate the same?

KCHawg
08-06-2010, 04:55 AM
They all work the same. I had one a friend made out of 2 large coffee cans and bailing wire. It worked great for 5 or 6 years til it burned thru.

icepick64
08-06-2010, 05:25 AM
I'll be getting a chimney and charcoal this weekend. I'll be curious to see how well these chimneys work. Does it matter brand wise or do they all operate the same?

I have heard mixed reviews on others brands, but the I will say the weber one works perfect all the time. Only $15 so you probably won't save much of anything buying a different brand

HonestChieffan
08-06-2010, 05:59 AM
Need a grill? Check out http://www.germangrill.com/ and Hastybake

If there was a Lexus grill they would be like these

booyaf2
08-06-2010, 06:57 AM
One weber chimney full of charcoal will do the trick for most cooks. You'll want to pile it on one side of the grill, then have one side for indirect heat so you have a safe zone to put food thats done.

booyaf2
08-06-2010, 08:38 AM
lots of hints and tips here

http://tvwbb.com/eve/forums?s=98110183&cdra=Y

KCUnited
08-06-2010, 08:40 AM
You're going to love that grill.

HonestChieffan
08-06-2010, 10:58 AM
You're going to love that grill.

who will.

what grill?

journeyscarab
08-06-2010, 11:16 AM
I've been thinking about one of these...
http://www.ruralking.com/gas-charcoal-grill-duo.html?utm_medium=google&utm_source=cse&cvsfa=1908&cvsfe=2&cvsfhu=303535353030303530

http://media.ruralking.com/image.php?sku=055500050&nsize=1000

I like the combo of gas and charcoal plus they had a firebox attachment. I saw a different brand and Home Depot for around $300 a few months ago. I am hoping they have them a bit cheaper at the end of the season.

Chiefaholic
08-06-2010, 12:46 PM
I've been thinking about one of these...
http://www.ruralking.com/gas-charcoal-grill-duo.html?utm_medium=google&utm_source=cse&cvsfa=1908&cvsfe=2&cvsfhu=303535353030303530

http://media.ruralking.com/image.php?sku=055500050&nsize=1000

I like the combo of gas and charcoal plus they had a firebox attachment. I saw a different brand and Home Depot for around $300 a few months ago. I am hoping they have them a bit cheaper at the end of the season.

This is what I have... Be sure to purchase the optional firebox to smoke with. This is bar none the best grill I've had to date.

MOhillbilly
08-06-2010, 12:48 PM
how thick is the steel?

HonestChieffan
08-06-2010, 12:56 PM
how thick is the steel?

Not very.

Real steel in man grills come from Klose in Houston.

Guru
08-06-2010, 03:15 PM
One weber chimney full of charcoal will do the trick for most cooks. You'll want to pile it on one side of the grill, then have one side for indirect heat so you have a safe zone to put food thats done.

So will I need less charcoal for my light grilling days? we have a day when we only grill 4 hamburgers and about 4 hot dogs. Almost doesn't seem worth the charcoal if I have to use 5lbs no matter what.

Bill Lundberg
08-06-2010, 03:17 PM
So will I need less charcoal for my light grilling days? we have a day when we only grill 4 hamburgers and about 4 hot dogs. Almost doesn't seem worth the charcoal if I have to use 5lbs no matter what.

You can do with just half a chimney for that. You'll figure it out there's no exact science to it.

Guru
08-06-2010, 03:26 PM
thanks

Guru
08-06-2010, 03:44 PM
I was looking to get the original table for this unit as it currently has a piece of plywood painted black but the damn things costs $60 which is more than I paid for the grill. Damn.

NewChief
08-08-2010, 09:08 PM
Anyone have any experience with the $99 barrel grill sold at Kroger? My brother works on his job site and grills pretty much every night there, and he likes it a lot (especially for the price). I was going to get a gas grill, but I'm thinking I'm going charcoal now instead.

FYI after some research: The brand is the Char Griller Smokin Pro. It's just the main barrel for $99, but you can buy sideboxes and such as accessories if you want.

MOhillbilly
08-09-2010, 08:08 AM
Anyone have any experience with the $99 barrel grill sold at Kroger? My brother works on his job site and grills pretty much every night there, and he likes it a lot (especially for the price). I was going to get a gas grill, but I'm thinking I'm going charcoal now instead.

FYI after some research: The brand is the Char Griller Smokin Pro. It's just the main barrel for $99, but you can buy sideboxes and such as accessories if you want.

My bro has one and loves it. Doesnt have the offset box one. Said the vent hole lets abit to much air in for it to make a good smoker.

Guru
08-10-2010, 04:03 PM
Damnit, this chimney does not work worth a crap for me.

Elwaysux
08-10-2010, 04:11 PM
My wife just bought be a Brinkman for $299 from Lowe's. (My birthday, my credit card so I guess I got it myself.) It is half gas and half charcoal and so far is pretty cool.

Guru
08-10-2010, 04:13 PM
how do you do this. I stuffed this thing with paper and I can't get crap out of it. Been over 20 minutes and the coals are still fuggin black.

Bill Lundberg
08-10-2010, 04:24 PM
Wad the newspaper into balls and put them in the bottom. Light with fire. Drink a beer or two. Return to hot coals.

What kind of paper are you using? Newspaper works best. Ads on shiny paper don't work so good.

Guru
08-10-2010, 04:26 PM
Wad the newspaper into balls and put them in the bottom. Light with fire. Drink a beer or two. Return to hot coals.

What kind of paper are you using? Newspaper works best. Ads on shiny paper don't work so good.

right now the old phone book. finally got something going after about 30 minutes. it's going to have to get faster than that for me to do this on a regular basis. Glad I didn't spend $200 for this because right now I am kind of regretting it.

Dayze
08-10-2010, 04:33 PM
you'll figure out how much paper to put in etc. I've never had an issue;

what kind of chimney did you get? I would imagine they're all pretty much the same, but my only experience has been with the Weber brand.

Fret not, Guru; you will tame this beast.

Guru
08-10-2010, 04:34 PM
10 minutes in and I still can't flip the chicken. Damn I suck at this.ROFL

Guru
08-10-2010, 04:50 PM
Well, just about 70 minutes since I started the charcoal and the chicken is about done. I'm not even close to where I should have been am I?

Guru
08-10-2010, 05:17 PM
Should I let all the coals burn to nothing or should I starve the oxygen and try to reuse them now?

Dayze
08-10-2010, 05:24 PM
I used to just let them burn out/turn to dust etc.

Guru
08-10-2010, 05:53 PM
Thanks for the help Dayze

KCUnited
08-10-2010, 05:57 PM
What kind of charcoal did you use?

Guru
08-10-2010, 05:58 PM
What kind of charcoal did you use?Kingsford

RJ
08-10-2010, 05:58 PM
right now the old phone book. finally got something going after about 30 minutes. it's going to have to get faster than that for me to do this on a regular basis. Glad I didn't spend $200 for this because right now I am kind of regretting it.

Three sheets of newspaper, loosely crumpled.

I've used a starter chimner for years and never once had a problem. Wind slows it down some but it still works.

RJ
08-10-2010, 06:00 PM
Well, just about 70 minutes since I started the charcoal and the chicken is about done. I'm not even close to where I should have been am I?

Are you doing chicken pieces or a whole chicken?

Extra Point
08-10-2010, 06:05 PM

Great pick for the bucks. Epic win!

Guru
08-10-2010, 06:27 PM
Are you doing chicken pieces or a whole chicken?Just chicken breast.

Great pick for the bucks. Epic win!Gets even better because Weber is sending me a new table attachment for free.

Three sheets of newspaper, loosely crumpled.

I've used a starter chimner for years and never once had a problem. Wind slows it down some but it still works.
I crumpled up a bunch of telephone book paper but the flame died well before the charcoal took off. I had to keep putting more in the bottom which was a pain. I'll shove a ton more in next time.

I have also heard to actually roll up newspaper rather than crumple because it makes it more like a burning log.

googlegoogle
08-10-2010, 06:52 PM
Theres a website that actual grades charcoal.

try lump.

And does everyone own a weber?

siberian khatru
08-10-2010, 07:08 PM
1. Yes, I too own a Weber. Love it.

2. I use lump hardwood charcoal.

3. I switched this year from a Walmart chimney to a Weber. The Weber is much more consistent. Never a problem lighting.

Guru
08-10-2010, 07:23 PM
http://tvwbb.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9040039023/m/709107581?f=9040039023&a=tpc&m=709107581&s=98110183&cdra=Y

Dayze
08-10-2010, 07:31 PM
experiement on how tightly/loosely to pack in the paper. I found about 4 or 5 balls of newspaper was good.

Guru
08-10-2010, 07:34 PM
experiement on how tightly/loosely to pack in the paper. I found about 4 or 5 balls of newspaper was good.

I do kind of wish I spent the money on a Weber Chimney over the walmart one. The Walmart one is a metal plate with several one inch holes in it. The Weber is just a coil so the flame is unblocked.

Dayze
08-10-2010, 07:49 PM
I do kind of wish I spent the money on a Weber Chimney over the walmart one. The Walmart one is a metal plate with several one inch holes in it. The Weber is just a coil so the flame is unblocked.

:hmmm:
...I wonder if a few more holes would do the trick?

("That's what she said"...)

siberian khatru
08-10-2010, 08:07 PM

Exactly. I believe the Weber has more holes in the body, too. More air circulates.

Pablo
08-10-2010, 08:09 PM
Every time I see this thread title I sing "I need a new grill" to the tune of "I want a new drug" in my head.

WTF is wrong with me?

IA_Chiefs_fan
08-10-2010, 08:13 PM

Yes! I visited in-laws this weekend and he had one of these Weber Performer grills from 1994 (I think he said). It was awesome! It is charcoal with gas-assist push-button lighting. Plus the grill shuts down tight enough you can use the same charcoal a couple times. I'm waiting for one of these to go on sale and it is mine! I'm hopeful I can get one for around $200.

Guru
08-10-2010, 08:21 PM
Every time I see this thread title I sing "I need a new grill" to the tune of "I want a new drug" in my head.

WTF is wrong with me?
Damn I am glad I am not alone on that. ROFL

DeezNutz
08-10-2010, 08:34 PM

WTF is wrong with me?

I damn near posted the video.

RJ
08-10-2010, 09:01 PM
Just chicken breast.

I'll shove a ton more in next time.

I have also heard to actually roll up newspaper rather than crumple because it makes it more like a burning log.

No to both.

Use three full sheets of newspaper, loosely crumpled.

I do this on a damn near nightly basis. I promise, it works.

RJ
08-10-2010, 09:04 PM

Ohhhh.....I didn't see this.

They're only like $3 or so apart, right?

My suggestion - buy a Weber, keep the other for a backup. An extra comes in handy sometimes.

IA_Chiefs_fan
08-10-2010, 09:07 PM
Oh, and the WalMart brand charcoal (large briquets) is fantastic and cheap.

Guru
08-10-2010, 09:48 PM
Ohhhh.....I didn't see this.

They're only like $3 or so apart, right?

My suggestion - buy a Weber, keep the other for a backup. An extra comes in handy sometimes.$5 actually but I'll keep that in mind if I still have problems with this next time.

Guru
08-10-2010, 09:49 PM
Oh, and the WalMart brand charcoal (large briquets) is fantastic and cheap.REally? I was avoiding non name brand charcoal.

RJ
08-10-2010, 09:53 PM
Kingsford is a reliable brand, nothing fancy and not expensive. Walmart usually has a good price as does Home Depot.

JMO, but I don't experiment with off-brand charcoal. Mostly because of starting time and burn time.

Again, JMO.

IA_Chiefs_fan
08-10-2010, 09:58 PM
REally? I was avoiding non name brand charcoal.

Yes, I was always a Kingsford man until I tried the Sam's stuff. Give it a try...

Frazod
08-12-2010, 07:22 AM
I didn't think this warranted a new thread, but I need some advice on the most effective outdoor insect (specifically mosquito) repellant. I really hadn't a problem until the last couple of weeks, but with all the rain, humidity and oppressive fucking heat the little bastards are all over me now every time I step out on the deck. I lit a citronella candle and it just seemed to attract more of them - finally after I slathered myself with Off they eased up, but there has to be a better way. Any thoughts?

God I'll be glad when fall gets here. I hate August worse than Denver and Kansas combined. :#

gblowfish
08-12-2010, 08:25 AM
How much "Off" is there, exactly, in a "Slather?"
Is that a quantifiable unit of measure?

Is that more than a pinch or a helping?

The only way around mosquitos is screening in your porch.
Also, make sure you don't have a bunch of old icky standing water around. Change the water in the birdbath every couple of days.

Bacon Cheeseburger
08-12-2010, 08:27 AM
I didn't think this warranted a new thread, but I need some advice on the most effective outdoor insect (specifically mosquito) repellant. I really hadn't a problem until the last couple of weeks, but with all the rain, humidity and oppressive ****ing heat the little bastards are all over me now every time I step out on the deck. I lit a citronella candle and it just seemed to attract more of them - finally after I slathered myself with Off they eased up, but there has to be a better way. Any thoughts?

God I'll be glad when fall gets here. I hate August worse than Denver and Kansas combined. :#
Of course there's a better way...it's called 'staying inside'.

Bill Lundberg
08-12-2010, 08:33 AM
I didn't think this warranted a new thread, but I need some advice on the most effective outdoor insect (specifically mosquito) repellant. I really hadn't a problem until the last couple of weeks, but with all the rain, humidity and oppressive ****ing heat the little bastards are all over me now every time I step out on the deck. I lit a citronella candle and it just seemed to attract more of them - finally after I slathered myself with Off they eased up, but there has to be a better way. Any thoughts?

http://www.off.com/clip-on-mosquito-repellent/

These things are awesome.

Groves
08-12-2010, 08:49 AM
Of course there's a better way...it's called 'staying inside'.

I thought for sure you'd be recommending some sort of consumption-based solution.

MOhillbilly
08-12-2010, 09:13 AM
buy the sauce you like and make your own BBQ. IMO most people can smoke/bbq with the best of them if they are patient. BBQ doesnt have to be fancy to be awesome.
simple is best imo. nothing better than some fried taters, slaw, and sliced tomatoes for sides.

As far as charcoal, i like walmart and kingsford. if you buy the cheap shit compare net weight to the more expensive brands. Krogers 5$ brand for instance was half the net weight of the 8$ kingsford bag.
Charcoal chimneys - just tear strips off the bag to light the fire it has 3 friggin plys.

and last - charcoal imo should only be used to get the hardwood rolling. Even if its just one stick.

ps- grilled corn is heaven sent.

Frazod
08-12-2010, 09:23 AM
http://www.off.com/clip-on-mosquito-repellent/

These things are awesome.

Thanks. I think I'll pick one up tonight.

MOhillbilly
08-12-2010, 09:26 AM
Thanks. I think I'll pick one up tonight.

do you have stands of uncut fescue around you? ( i know this could be a damn silly question)

Frazod
08-12-2010, 10:06 AM
do you have stands of uncut fescue around you? ( i know this could be a damn silly question)

My property adjoins federally protected wetlands, so about 10 feet from my deck is a thicket of crap which contains God only knows what. The bugs sure seem to love it.

MOhillbilly
08-12-2010, 10:09 AM
My property adjoins federally protected wetlands, so about 10 feet from my deck is a thicket of crap which contains God only knows what. The bugs sure seem to love it.

copper sulfate. you didnt hear that from me.

Frazod
08-12-2010, 10:31 AM
copper sulfate. you didnt hear that from me.

Were it not for the swarm of shit flying out of it trying to eat me, I wouldn't have a problem with it - it blocks the view of the buildings on the other side of it, and when I look out from my deck it almost makes me feel like I'm in the country instead of a suburb of Chicago.

Bill Lundberg
08-12-2010, 10:49 AM
http://www.cabelas.com/link-12/product/0019305515912a.shtml?cmCat=perf&rid=0987654321&cm_mmc=Performics-_-CSE-_-GoogleBaseUSA-_-0019305515912a&mr:trackingCode=F0D41BCD-958E-DF11-A0C8-002219318F67&mr:referralID=NA

These are also supposed to work very well

Guru
08-19-2010, 02:54 PM
Guess I need to move the grill off of my screened in porch. Every time I grill I smell like friggin smoke. I hate that smell.

Detoxing
08-19-2010, 02:57 PM
Guess I need to move the grill off of my screened in porch. Every time I grill I smell like friggin smoke. I hate that smell.

Heh, two nights ago I grilled some burgers. Afterwards i had forgotten that I smelled like smoke. I went to bed and was reminded that I smelled like BBQ by my woman. She wasn't complaining though.

Guru
10-16-2011, 04:15 PM
God I suck at grilling chicken. I think I just quit after today. Always overcooked on the outside and undercooked in the middle.

Stewie
10-16-2011, 04:17 PM
God I suck at grilling chicken. I think I just quit after today. Always overcooked on the outside and undercooked in the middle.

You need to marinade chicken like crazy. It's the toughest meat to get right.

Guru
10-16-2011, 04:18 PM
You need to marinade chicken like crazy. It's the toughest meat to get right.

probably shouldn't have grilled it the same day I bought it either but oh well. Burnt chicken for everyone.

IA_Chiefs_fan
10-16-2011, 04:20 PM
I actually prefer my poultry medium-rare anyhow...

cabletech94
10-16-2011, 04:23 PM

can be tricky.
i just thawed out some frozen chix breast. 30 min on defrost. then started on indirect heat (gas grill) 10 min. 20 min on (high) direct heat, turning every 5 min or so. no marinade for me this time. turned out just about right. had a mix of salt, pepper, and other basic spices.
turned out pretty damn good. really i just lucked out. keeping on top of it and not letting it set in 1 spot too long really worked out for me.
practice, practice, practice.

i also read once that if you use bbq sauce, brush it on in the last 5 min or so.

Groves
10-16-2011, 04:39 PM
then started on indirect heat (gas grill) 10 min. 20 min on (high) direct heat, turning every 5 min or so.

am I reading correctly that you put chicken breasts for a total of 30min on the grill flipping them roughly 4 times?

Seems long. Maybe I'm not understanding.

cabletech94
10-16-2011, 04:46 PM
am I reading correctly that you put chicken breasts for a total of 30min on the grill flipping them roughly 4 times?

Seems long. Maybe I'm not understanding.

yea, that's about right. they were a big thick cut of meat. also had some dogs that i put on there halfway through. so, yea. 'bout 30 i suppose.
i quit cooking chicken on the grill a few years ago due to bad luck. was bored the other day.

Guru
10-16-2011, 05:00 PM
can be tricky.
i just thawed out some frozen chix breast. 30 min on defrost. then started on indirect heat (gas grill) 10 min. 20 min on (high) direct heat, turning every 5 min or so. no marinade for me this time. turned out just about right. had a mix of salt, pepper, and other basic spices.
turned out pretty damn good. really i just lucked out. keeping on top of it and not letting it set in 1 spot too long really worked out for me.
practice, practice, practice.

i also read once that if you use bbq sauce, brush it on in the last 5 min or so.

I use smoke pellets on my grill so I don't like to open the grill until the smoke is done. Lasts about 12 minutes.

Flachief58
10-16-2011, 06:10 PM

Try starting out with the grill screaming hot, put the chicken on close the lid and lower the temp. My grill is a 3 burner. If I'm just cooking for the wife and myself, I shut 1 of the burners off and turn the other 2 down to low with the meat over them. I turn the meat every 5 min or so and for good size breast leave them on for 20-25 min.

Sometimes I will sauce in the final 10 min depending on the mood (this adds lots of color as well as flavor). I do like to marinade for 8 hours but I'll will also dry rub right before grilling and have really good results using this cooking method. You get the grilled flavor and it stays juicy without being burnt and raw. :)

Guru
10-17-2011, 07:18 AM
Try starting out with the grill screaming hot, put the chicken on close the lid and lower the temp. My grill is a 3 burner. If I'm just cooking for the wife and myself, I shut 1 of the burners off and turn the other 2 down to low with the meat over them. I turn the meat every 5 min or so and for good size breast leave them on for 20-25 min.

Sometimes I will sauce in the final 10 min depending on the mood (this adds lots of color as well as flavor). I do like to marinade for 8 hours but I'll will also dry rub right before grilling and have really good results using this cooking method. You get the grilled flavor and it stays juicy without being burnt and raw. :)

I use a charcoal grill so I can't really control the heat like that. sometimes I do think I should just go back to propane. It was easier then.

Bwana
10-17-2011, 07:28 AM
probably shouldn't have grilled it the same day I bought it either but oh well. Burnt chicken for everyone.

I hated cooking yard bird at one time, but it's easy now. I picked up a Yoder 640 smoker after I took back that pile of crap Treager smoker and chicken turns out perfect everytime. Low and slow........tasty.

http://www.yodersmokers.com/images/pellet01.jpg [/URL][URL="http://www.yodersmokers.com/pellet.html#"] (http://www.yodersmokers.com/pellet.html#)

Bacon Cheeseburger
10-17-2011, 04:14 PM
I use a charcoal grill so I can't really control the heat like that. sometimes I do think I should just go back to propane. It was easier then.
Yep, chicken doesn't work very well over charcoal. That's why you need both types of grills. I use charcoal for burgers, dogs, brats etc, and I use propane for steaks, chicken and pork chops.

Bearcat
10-17-2011, 05:02 PM
I should have read this thread before buying one... I bought a cheap charcoal grill, which works well enough, but one of those chimney things would be cool.

Spokane Chief Fan
10-17-2011, 05:27 PM
I always brine boneless chicken breasts. It sure seems to take the guess work out for me. Moist and juicy with out really having to watch out for overcooking.

Flachief58
10-17-2011, 05:49 PM

Charcoal and I have never really got along very well. Mainly because I like being able to fire up the grill right before I'm ready to use it and I can control the temp. My smoker uses propane too and I haven't had anyone complain about the taste of my food using either one. To each their own though.

Extra Point
10-17-2011, 06:36 PM
I should have read this thread before buying one... I bought a cheap charcoal grill, which works well enough, but one of those chimney things would be cool.

Don't use a charcoal grill without one. They've been around for 20-some-odd years, and they're cheap, for being able to get fire without much of a wait.

IA_Chiefs_fan
10-17-2011, 07:27 PM
I'm telling you guys...

WEBER PERFORMER GRILL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Charcoal with gas & push button start. Love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CHENZ A!
10-17-2011, 09:01 PM
It takes a little more work, but I get some damn good chicken(bone in-skin on) on a mini-Weber.

Keep it on the other side of the flame, and keep it moist.

Kingsford charcoal and lighter fluid(it never tastes like gasoline)

Guru
10-17-2011, 10:04 PM
Don't use a charcoal grill without one. They've been around for 20-some-odd years, and they're cheap, for being able to get fire without much of a wait.

Hell, those chimneys haven't been kind to me. I still have to add lighter fluid to it to get it going. Definitely faster than lighting a pile in the grill though.

Guru
10-17-2011, 10:05 PM
One question though, after I have my charcoal going in the chimney, should I dump it into a pile or spread it all out into one layer?

Bacon Cheeseburger
10-17-2011, 10:11 PM
I assume the charcoal is supposed to be ready to go when it comes out of the chimney. But I don't know for sure, I still use lighter fluid.

kevonm
10-17-2011, 10:25 PM
With chicken, use a brine for around 4hours. Just some salt, sugar, and a couple bayleaves boiled into water. Let it cool and then set the chicken in it in the fridge. Pull it out and pat dry, then use a rub. Then go low and slow on the chicken, BBQ sauce on it in the last 10 min.

CHENZ A!
10-17-2011, 10:27 PM
One question though, after I have my charcoal going in the chimney, should I dump it into a pile or spread it all out into one layer?

When doing chicken, put all of the coal to one side. Put the chicken on the opposite side. Slow and low are words to live by.

Bacon Cheeseburger
10-17-2011, 10:30 PM
If I do chicken over charcoal, I do it low and slow as well. But instead of putting all the charcoal to one side, I make a ring around the edge and put a pan of water in the middle.

Guru
10-17-2011, 10:38 PM
When doing chicken, put all of the coal to one side. Put the chicken on the opposite side. Slow and low are words to live by.

damn, it takes me nearly 40 minutes to finish chicken now.

Bacon Cheeseburger
10-17-2011, 10:41 PM
I usually go a couple hours and 2-3 small batches of coals. There's really no way to cook chicken quickly on charcoal and have it turn out good.

CHENZ A!
10-17-2011, 10:42 PM
If I do chicken over charcoal, I do it low and slow as well. But instead of putting all the charcoal to one side, I make a ring around the edge and put a pan of water in the middle.

right on, you're prob using a much bigger grill than I. I'm on a mini-kettle/weber grill. Either way, indirect is best for poultry.

Guru
10-17-2011, 10:42 PM
I usually go a couple hours and 2-3 small batches of coals. There's really no way to cook chicken quickly on charcoal and have it turn out good.
Guess I will start pulling out the propane for chicken again. LMAO

CHENZ A!
10-17-2011, 10:47 PM

To me there's just something about building a fire, and roasting some animal flesh to perfection. It's a beer fueled adventure of love.

Guru
10-17-2011, 10:49 PM
To me there's just something about building a fire, and roasting some animal flesh to perfection. It's a beer fueled adventure of love.

Thats why I prefer to eat at other peoples tailgates. I know I can't ruin the food that way.

I just donate some animal flesh.

Bacon Cheeseburger
10-17-2011, 10:52 PM
Or just do the chicken on the weekend. Start it up around 3 or so, crack a beer, turn a game on and bask in the sweet aroma of charcoal smoke for a few hours.

CHENZ A!
10-17-2011, 10:53 PM
Thats why I prefer to eat at other peoples tailgates. I know I can't ruin the food that way.

I just donate some animal flesh.

Right on. I've ruined many meals, and still do. They get better and better though. If you're interested in it, keep on trying til it's good. It will be very rewarding.

Guru
10-17-2011, 11:01 PM
Or just do the chicken on the weekend. Start it up around 3 or so, crack a beer, turn a game on and bask in the sweet aroma of charcoal smoke for a few hours.

I'm still trying to figure out how much charcoal is enough. I have one of those BIG Weber kettle grills.

Bacon Cheeseburger
10-17-2011, 11:09 PM
I'm still trying to figure out how much charcoal is enough. I have one of those BIG Weber kettle grills.
That's what I have as well. It really depends on what and how much you are cooking. It took me a while to figure it out, there have been plenty of times where I've either had to add more charcoal, or finish cooking stuff on the propane grill or in the oven. Trial and error.