PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft Spinoff thread: What position do we draft with our 1st in 2011? 8/3/10

Dante84
08-03-2010, 09:07 PM
Typing this post in the 'Walter' thread made me wonder - What position do we take in the first round of the 2011 draft? Please vote and expand on your reasoning.

First vote OFFENSE or DEFENSE and then continue by picking your ONE position choice.

OFFENSE

I doubt we go OT.... that would mean BA would have to fail MISERABLY or get severely injured (knock on wood).

WR doesn't seem like a viable first rounder either, seeing as we have our Wes Welker clone, A new favorite WR, and one with a ton of potential that drops a lot.

QB only if Cassel is horrible/hurt and we pick top 5-10. But with the easier schedule, a full offseason of one system under his feet, with upgraded weapons and a more attentive and experienced OC, I dont see this being the case.

Center is a huge need, but this is not worthy of a first rounder unless we are picking in the late 20's.... and even then.... you can snag one in rounds 2-4.

TE if Moeaki is severely hurt and we are picking in the late 20's and a can't miss stud is available. And even then...

DEFENSE

NT I can see. Its by no means sexy, and 3 DL in 4 years, or 4 Lineman out of 5 firsts in 4 years, isn't fun. But it might be/very likely is the big need for our D to go to the next level.

Rush backer I can also see. I'd venture to guess that we will be in the 10-20 range, the spot where the premier LB's start falling. However, we have Tamba, and I think Studababay/Sheffield might have enough potential to eliminate justification for our first on OLB. Unless there is a can't miss stud.

ILB I think is more likely than OLB, because who knows what DJ will do, and Williams/Mays/Belcher are probably not starting caliber ILBs at this point. The rest of the guys are kind of a crap shoot also. With two spots to fill, and our pick likely being in the 10-20 range, I think this would be a solid guess.

Based on thinking this over while typing.... I DO think we go defense with our first, and I DO think it will be a NT or Linebacker. Based on our drafting position, my guess is that we get a NT or ILB. What will be key to watch for is FA and injuries, obviously. With two ??'s to fill at ILB.....

I think the Chiefs will draft an ILB with our first round pick in 2011.

Deberg_1990
08-03-2010, 09:10 PM
With the #5 pick in the 2011 NFL draft.......the Kansas City Chiefs select......

ChiefsCountry
08-03-2010, 10:09 PM
QB or WR

DeezNutz
08-03-2010, 10:10 PM
QB or WR

Yep.

philfree
08-03-2010, 11:03 PM
Just to throw a curve I say CB. If Carr doesn't improve any then I could see Pioli picking a CB. A position that right now we think is taken care of.

PhilFree:arrow:

AustinChief
08-03-2010, 11:10 PM
Just to throw a curve I say CB. If Carr doesn't improve any then I could see Pioli picking a CB. A position that right now we think is taken care of.

I wouldn't spend a first rounder on CB unless Carr gets WORSE.. he was not bad enough last year to be a priority to replace and we are full up on nickel guys now...

CB, QB, LT all should be fine unless we see them slip backwards... they should all benefit from improved play around them. OK QB needs to go if play doesn't improve, but I can't imagine it won't.

philfree
08-03-2010, 11:14 PM
I wouldn't spend a first rounder on CB unless Carr gets WORSE.. he was not bad enough last year to be a priority to replace and we are full up on nickel guys now...

CB, QB, LT all should be fine unless we see them slip backwards... they should all benefit from improved play around them. OK QB needs to go if play doesn't improve, but I can't imagine it won't.

I like Carr and I think he will improve this year and be fine. Just throwing a curve which is probably what Pioli will do as compared to our thinking or at least mine.

Bacon Cheeseburger
08-03-2010, 11:51 PM
Kicker. This ain't fucking arena ball.

Mecca
08-03-2010, 11:54 PM
I love Patrick Peterson as much as anyone but I don't know if we can take a CB that high.

KCrockaholic
08-03-2010, 11:56 PM
Probably a OLB or stand out ILB. Things change a lot, and guys emerge throughout the season.

We might go WR, but that would mean Bowe more than likely sucked.

CoMoChief
08-04-2010, 12:32 AM
depends on where we draft...BPA?

WR Julio Jones BAMA
WR Malcolm Floyd ND
WR AJ Green UG
Terrence Toliver LSU

Id be super happy if we drafted one of these guys. Chambers isn't the future of this team by any means. We need another WR.

Mecca
08-04-2010, 01:18 AM
Terrance Tolliver as of now isn't a 1st round pick, he'd have to really really breakout for it to happen but he's had kind of a disappointing college career.

I just don't see there being a LB worth that high of a pick, Von Miller is everything the Patriots and that scheme don't pick. He's shitty against the run, he's fast off the edge but doesn't hold up against blocks well, etc etc. Just don't see it being a LB...at least not in the first.

If the Chiefs managed to win 9 games I'd sit here and pimp DeAndre McDaniel.

BryanBusby
08-04-2010, 01:53 AM
If Cassel goes out and sucks beyond suck in 2010, QB without hesitation. If he doesn't, either NT or ILB.

Mecca
08-04-2010, 02:04 AM
We're probably going to be picking a little high for those positions, as of today there isn't a real standout at either.

There probably won't be a NT or MLB go before 20 if it was held today someone will really have to breakout during the season.

salame
08-04-2010, 03:05 AM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_SO8Y3MIsoP8/SPt3PrRLTTI/AAAAAAAAEo4/dEVKFqPZbo4/s400/AJ+Green+vs+Vanderbilt+diving+TD+catch+awesome+play+2008.jpg

Mr. Arrowhead
08-04-2010, 07:51 AM
I have no idea right now, but as of today I would say either WR or a Pass rushing OLB

Sofa King
08-04-2010, 07:59 AM
QB.

Chances are that Cassell sucks again this year, leading to a less than stellar record, giving us the opportunity to get a new QB in town.

sedated
08-04-2010, 08:00 AM
I think our offense will be better this year with the additions to the o-line, adding DMac and Moeaki, finding a running game, and getting Bowe’s head straight. The defense was worse than our offense last year, and all we added was a safety. I say go defense all the way.

If we can fill holes on defense like we did last offseason on offense, this could be a top 5 team going into 2011-2012.

Bane
08-04-2010, 08:01 AM
QB.

milkman
08-04-2010, 08:15 AM
I think our offense will be better this year with the additions to the o-line, adding DMac and Maeoli, finding a running game, and getting Bowe’s head straight. The defense was worse than our offense last year, and all we added was a safety. I say go defense all the way.

If we can fill holes on defense like we did last offseason on offense, this could be a top 5 team going into 2011-2012.

Maeoli?

Who the fuck is that?

sedated
08-04-2010, 08:41 AM
Maeoli?

Who the **** is that?

wow, I need more caffeinc

Moeaki.

Sam Hall
08-04-2010, 09:12 AM
I'd love to see Julio Jones in a Chiefs uniform after he silences the people who say he isn't fast enough. I'd have a hard time passing up Jerrell Powe if he were on the board in the second round. The other guy I'm interested in is Phil Taylor. If not Powe in the second round, than maybe Taylor in the third round.

Pestilence
08-04-2010, 09:17 AM
http://static.blogcritics.org/09/09/05/112381/floyd.jpg

Pestilence
08-04-2010, 09:19 AM
Cassel would really have to suck fucking bad this season for the Chiefs to grab a QB. I think that if Cassel is mediocre at best....that they will go with a WR. They can bump Bowe into the #2 role and draft a true #1 WR.

Dante84
08-04-2010, 09:20 AM
I just really don't think we go QB. As bad as you guys hate Matty C., you've got to be realistic.... he is not going to fail so miserably that we are in a position to realistically draft a "franchise QB" unless a 'Joe Flacco' drops to us. And even then, there will be questions about him.

I dont think that this occurs.

Cassel might not be great, but he's not going to be a complete, full on, Bono-esque fucktard.

DaKCMan AP
08-04-2010, 09:20 AM
QB or WR

DJ's left nut
08-04-2010, 09:23 AM
The problem is that our schedule is so soft that Steven Hawking could QB us to 5 wins.

I just don't see how we'd be in a position to draft a difference maker at QB.

That said - Cassel might actually be a worse QB than Hawking, so I'm still going w/ the QB.

Pestilence
08-04-2010, 09:27 AM
I just really don't think we go QB. As bad as you guys hate Matty C., you've got to be realistic.... he is not going to fail so miserably that we are in a position to realistically draft a "franchise QB" unless a 'Joe Flacco' drops to us. And even then, there will be questions about him.

I dont think that this occurs.

Cassel might not be great, but he's not going to be a complete, full on, Bono-esque fucktard.

But you also need to understand that this team has the perfect opportunity to cut bait on him after this season is over.....if he sucks. He's getting paid way to much to throw 16 TDs with 16 INTs. The FO went out and got him some more talent on the offense.....so he's running out of excuses for being mediocre.

DaKCMan AP
08-04-2010, 09:31 AM
The problem is that our schedule is so soft that Steven Hawking could QB us to 5 wins.

I just don't see how we'd be in a position to draft a difference maker at QB.

That said - Cassel might actually be a worse QB than Hawking, so I'm still going w/ the QB.

I think the past few years have shown you can get a difference maker at QB outside of the top 5 or 10 (given a good draft class).

Brock
08-04-2010, 09:32 AM
I'd say the team is more likely just to go with Croyle if Cassel really stinks it up this year, rather than draft a QB. They're not likely to be picking high enough IMO and probably wouldn't draft one even if they were, judging from the past couple of years.

Bane
08-04-2010, 09:36 AM
I'd say the team is more likely just to go with Croyle if Cassel really stinks it up this year, rather than draft a QB. They're not likely to be picking high enough IMO and probably wouldn't draft one even if they were, judging from the past couple of years.

With all due respect,I think just about any QB we would or could draft would be better than Casshole.

MOhillbilly
08-04-2010, 09:39 AM
Bad QB selections in a new coaches tenure more often than not ends badly for both. repeat.repeat.repeat.

loochy
08-04-2010, 09:53 AM
We trade it for a new head coach (ala HERM).

Or we trade it for lower picks.

Rausch
08-04-2010, 10:02 AM
I laugh at anyone who thinks Pioli will draft a QB in round 1...