PDA

View Full Version : Life There has got to be a way to get 7 solid hours of sleep

Guru
08-04-2010, 10:14 PM
Lately I can't get more than 4 hours in a row of sleep and it is killing me. Working 3rd shift is just destroying me in this area. Even after 5 years my body just refuses to adjust. Prescriptions are too high priced and potentially addictive to try. My doc has me on some anti depressant that "promotes" sleep but it really isn't working. The sleep drugs I have tried don't even work.

How the hell am I supposed to get any rest if nothing works?:(

Bill Lundberg
08-04-2010, 10:18 PM
Two words:

Wild
Turkey

I kid. You need to physically wear yourself out. Do you exercise? I had the problem a year or two ago, I couldn't get my brain to shut off when my head hit the pillow. Started working out and by bedtime I was worn out. Worked for me.

TrickyNicky
08-04-2010, 10:18 PM
Do you snore? Are you tossing and turning?

Reerun_KC
08-04-2010, 10:19 PM
I was sick earlier this year and my dr prescribed something called liquid gold. One teaspoon and I slept 14 hours straight. My god beat night of sleep ever.stuff is highly addictive though. I struggled the next day wanting to nap all day. But when your head hit the pillow bit was lights out for a long long time. Sure miss that kind of sleep.

Guru
08-04-2010, 10:21 PM
Two words:

Wild
Turkey

I kid. You need to physically wear yourself out. Do you exercise? I had the problem a year or two ago, I couldn't get my brain to shut off when my head hit the pillow. Started working out and by bedtime I was worn out. Worked for me.I work out at night before I go to work. Can't do it in the morning as during the school year I have to be up by 2:30 to start picking up kids so I have no room for working out before bed. Hell that would just wire me and keep me from sleeping if I did that I think.

Guru
08-04-2010, 10:21 PM
Do you snore? Are you tossing and turning?No, I don't snore but I do toss and turn because I keep waking up and it pisses me off.:)

Bill Parcells
08-04-2010, 10:30 PM
How old is your mattress? getting a new bed will do wonders.

Guru
08-04-2010, 10:32 PM
How old is your mattress? getting a new bed will do wonders.The mattress is actually very comfortable. It is about 8 years old though. Unfortunately, we don't have the money to spend on a new bed right now. I would look at those sleep number beds if I could.

Bill Parcells
08-04-2010, 10:37 PM
The mattress is actually very comfortable. It is about 8 years old though. Unfortunately, we don't have the money to spend on a new bed right now. I would look at those sleep number beds if I could.

Dude, 8 years is a long time to go without getting a new bed..lol..at least turn it over and even it out. and I'm not talking a super expensive one either. it makes a big difference.

wazu
08-04-2010, 10:38 PM
You drinking before going to bed? If so you might try cutting it out for a couple of nights.

Baconeater
08-04-2010, 10:39 PM
You drinking before going to bed? If so you might try cutting it out for a couple of nights.
Or if you're not, maybe you should give it a try. :)

wazu
08-04-2010, 10:39 PM
Dude, 8 years is a long time to go without getting a new bed..lol..at least turn it over and even it out. and I'm not talking a super expensive one either. it makes a big difference.

I've had the same bed for 15 years. Although earlier this year I finally bought one of those memory foam tops for it and it is NICE! Still, planning to get a new bed at some point in the not-too-distant future.

luv
08-04-2010, 10:40 PM
Masturbate.

Or a glass of milk.

wazu
08-04-2010, 10:40 PM

Hah, I guess that might be true as well. If he were having trouble getting to sleep, that would be something. I've heard lots about alcohol preventing people from staying asleep through the night, though.

Bill Parcells
08-04-2010, 10:41 PM
I've had the same bed for 15 years. Although earlier this year I finally bought one of those memory foam tops for it and it is NICE! Still, planning to get a new bed at some point in the not-too-distant future.

You mean your bed was 7 years old when you actually signed up for Chiefsplanet in 2002?

Bill Parcells
08-04-2010, 10:42 PM
Dude, pounding some gash before you go to bed will do wonders also ROFL

luv
08-04-2010, 10:42 PM
Hah, I guess that might be true as well. If he were having trouble getting to sleep, that would be something. I've heard lots about alcohol preventing people from staying asleep through the night, though.

I pass out from drinking, and I sleep four hours tops.

Bill Parcells
08-04-2010, 10:43 PM
I pass out from drinking, and I sleep four hours tops.

You need a pounding ;) lol

Miles
Are the other stuff such as your pillow or sheets comfortable? Buying good quality sheets and one of those memory foam pillows helped me a decent amount.

Stinger
2 of these ...... :shrug:

http://www.drugs-expert.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/Tylenol-PM.jpg

Guru
You drinking before going to bed? If so you might try cutting it out for a couple of nights.I would be fired very quickly if that were the case. I get off work at 6:30am and am in bed by 7:15am.

wazu
You mean your bed was 7 years old when you actually signed up for Chiefsplanet in 2002?

Yeah. It's not good.

Guru
08-04-2010, 10:44 PM
2 of these ...... :shrug:

http://www.drugs-expert.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/Tylenol-PM.jpgNope. That is just tylenol with benedryl really. Benedryl actually wires me.

luv
You need a pounding ;) lol

That's besides the point.

Baconeater
I'm not sure if the allergy medication Tavist-D is still available OTC, but that shit used to knock my ass right out.

Bill Parcells
I would be fired very quickly if that were the case. I get off work at 6:30am and am in bed by 7:15am.

Dayum, that schedule sucks dude.

Guru
08-04-2010, 10:45 PM
Dude, 8 years is a long time to go without getting a new bed..lol..at least turn it over and even it out. and I'm not talking a super expensive one either. it makes a big difference.Oh, I flip it and turn it every 6-9 months. As I said though, it is very comfortable. I just don't see any need to replace it.

wazu
08-04-2010, 10:46 PM
Dude, pounding some gash before you go to bed will do wonders also ROFL

Okay, have to admit this is officially the first time I've heard/read the phrase "pounding some gash". But of course from now on I'll be using it every other sentence just to impress the ladies.

Oh, and yes, I think this would help if it is an option.

Guru
08-04-2010, 10:47 PM
Dayum, that schedule sucks dude.Nah, what sucks is waking up at 10:30am, then again at 12:30pm and then finally 2:30pm.

And people wonder why I tend to be negative. :D

Bill Parcells
08-04-2010, 10:48 PM
Okay, have to admit this is officially the first time I've heard/read the phrase "pounding some gash". But of course from now on I'll be using it every other sentence just to impress the ladies.

Oh, and yes, I think this would help if it is an option.

I think it might be an east coast thing..lol.. my apologies to all the midwestern n00bs out there

Bill Parcells
08-04-2010, 10:48 PM
Nah, what sucks is waking up at 10:30am, then again at 12:30pm and then finally 2:30pm.

Yeah, but still. you sleep the whole day away. that would just drive me crazy in the summer time.

luv
08-04-2010, 10:49 PM
Do you have blackout curtains?

wazu
08-04-2010, 10:50 PM
I think it might be an east coast thing..lol.. my apologies to all the midwestern n00bs out there

Don't apologize. I'll be visiting various east coast cities this fall. It will come in handy when I interact with the locals.

pr_capone
08-04-2010, 10:51 PM
My doc has me on some anti depressant that "promotes" sleep but it really isn't working. The sleep drugs I have tried don't even work.

amitriptyline?

That is what I was scripted when I told the doc I couldnt sleep. I tried most over the counter sleep aids with no success.

Now if I'm having a hard time sleeping, I toke once or twice and I drift to sleep nicely.

Baconeater
08-04-2010, 10:52 PM
Yeah, but still. you sleep the whole day away. that would just drive me crazy in the summer time.
How is that different from working the day away?

Bill Parcells
08-04-2010, 10:53 PM
Ok Guru, I gotta crash. I'm dead tired. lol..I'll see you in the morning ;)

Guru
08-04-2010, 10:55 PM
Do you have blackout curtains?Yeah, heavy duty tin foil. My room is pitch black.

Bill Parcells
08-04-2010, 10:56 PM
How is that different from working the day away?

It's different DAMNIT! because I said it is! http://www.jetnation.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/new/blamemax2.gif

Guru
08-04-2010, 10:56 PM
Ok Guru, I gotta crash. I'm dead tired. lol..I'll see you in the morning ;)nlm4321

Psyko Tek
08-04-2010, 11:03 PM

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
Hunter S. Thompson

good enough for the doctor
good enough for me

greg63
08-04-2010, 11:48 PM
Masturbate.

Or a glass of milk.

These are supposed to be suggestions for Guru, not GoChiefs. :D

Seriously though, I understand that sex helps in this regard. I've been married for 27 years so I wouldn't know.

teedubya
08-05-2010, 12:49 AM
Ear plugs.

Or, if you are having trouble going to sleep... uh, go to sleep later. Get off of work... go work out... go run errands... hang out until noon and then go to sleep unti 7pm or something. Try different times. When I worked 3rd... I slept from like 2pm-8:30pm and it worked perfect for me.

Guru
08-05-2010, 12:56 AM
Ear plugs.

Or, if you are having trouble going to sleep... uh, go to sleep later. Get off of work... go work out... go run errands... hang out until noon and then go to sleep unti 7pm or something. Try different times. When I worked 3rd... I slept from like 2pm-8:30pm and it worked perfect for me.Unfortunately, I don't have those options available to me. I have to be up by 2:45pm no matter what so I have to go straight to bed.

My problem isn't getting to sleep, it is staying asleep. I even have a bunch of white noise to cancel out the sounds outside my room which works pretty well.

I would love to sleep from 10am to 6pm but my wifes work won't allow her to leave everyday to pick up the kids and we don't have anyone convenient enough to ask to pick them up.

Tribal Warfare
08-05-2010, 01:26 AM
Benadryl , I take 4 50 mg capsules with 4 melatonin tablets. It works like a charm

bevischief
08-05-2010, 06:00 AM
shots

Simply Red
08-05-2010, 06:10 AM
Play some Nerf hoop before crashing.

Bwana
08-05-2010, 06:24 AM
Try Valerian or Chamomilla tea.

Frazod
08-05-2010, 06:30 AM
Have you tried watching soccer?

For the past two weeks I've been coming in at 7:00 a.m., which means getting up at 5:20 instead of 7:20. This week hasn't been quite as painful as last, but it still sucks. I never have been or will be a morning person FUCK ALL MORNING PEOPLE YOU CHEERFUL PERKY BASTARDS DIE IN A FIRE anyway, I don't know, perhaps we reach a certain age and just can't adjust well to things.

Excuse me while I get some more coffee.

Bwana
08-05-2010, 06:31 AM
Have you tried watching soccer?

LMAO

Rep

3rd&48ers
08-05-2010, 06:38 AM
I work 3rd as well Take melatonin and make sure the room is completely dark... run a fan in your room ..

when I say dark I mean night dark.... put quilts on your windows

I sleep 7-8 everyday

greg63
08-05-2010, 06:50 AM
Read the phone book or the dictionary.

Red Beans
08-05-2010, 06:56 AM
Masturbate.

Or a glass of milk.

Masturbate in a glass of milk. That ought to do it...

ChiTown
08-05-2010, 07:12 AM
In order:

Sex (or masturbation) + cigarette + 2 stiff drinks = night night time (at least 7 solid hours)

Saulbadguy
08-05-2010, 09:16 AM
A couple tips -

Don't do anything in your bed besides sleep and schtup. Don't read in bed, don't play with your phone or a PSP, it will only get your brain thinking of other things and you will be up for awhile.

I also mentioned valerian root to you - try it out. They should have it at GNC or Akins. Even Wal-Mart might carry it, and it's much cheaper than any sleep aid out there. It's worked for me in the past. It may take a couple weeks to get adjusted to it though.

Pestilence
08-05-2010, 09:17 AM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31rFjNDXeFL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.naturemade.com/ProductDatabase/prd_prod.asp?productid=238

DonTellMeShowMe
08-05-2010, 09:43 AM
eat turkey

Frosty
08-05-2010, 09:45 AM
Nah, what sucks is waking up at 10:30am, then again at 12:30pm and then finally 2:30pm.

Do you back to sleep right away or are you awake for awhile before going to sleep again?

I worked graveyard (9 pm to 6 am) for five years and loved it, though I was single with no family at the time. My favorite shift, though, was 5:30 pm to 2:30 am. Go home, go to bed and get up at 10 am and have all day.

I work from 5am to 3 pm and it sucks, except for the four 10's work week part.

TrebMaxx
08-05-2010, 09:56 AM
I work 3rd as well Take melatonin and make sure the room is completely dark... run a fan in your room ..

when I say dark I mean night dark.... put quilts on your windows

I sleep 7-8 everyday

My suggestion as well. Melatonin is over the counter and natural. I take one every night before bed and sleep great and wake up feeling good. Before then I was hooked on Simply Sleep but I started to worry about taking it every night and was usually groggy in the morning. My wife even quit taking her prescribed meds for her restless leg syndrome and switched to Melatonin.

ChiefaRoo
08-05-2010, 10:01 AM
Lately I can't get more than 4 hours in a row of sleep and it is killing me. Working 3rd shift is just destroying me in this area. Even after 5 years my body just refuses to adjust. Prescriptions are too high priced and potentially addictive to try. My doc has me on some anti depressant that "promotes" sleep but it really isn't working. The sleep drugs I have tried don't even work.

Get a script for Xanax. It's an anti anxiety and sleep agent. You're doc will monitor it. It's not physically addictive unless you abuse it. Works.

MOhillbilly
08-05-2010, 10:06 AM

my woman works 3rd mon-wed off thurs./fri, then 6am to 2pm sat-sun. ive givin up trying to get her to adjust after alittle more than a year. shes has a lockbox full of shit to help her sleep and none of the work. She gave up long before i did.
Now she sleeps in shifts 4-6 hours then naps for an hour or two after we sit down and eat.
Sucks.

I worked 10a-10p 4 days a week for 2 years and never had a problem. Whiskey and water.

Inspector
08-05-2010, 10:19 AM
I worked nights during the 80's and early 90's. Notes from experience.

Already mentioned and is true: Melatonin and Valerian. Work well together.

Also, no caffiene late in your day, do your exercising early when you get up, stay away from sleeping "drugs" (Tylenol PM or whatever) and alcohol.

Combine the Melatonin and Valerian. Worked wonders for me and others I know. Drug free and non habit forming.

Good luck.

DMAC
08-05-2010, 10:33 AM
Dont know if its been said...

But try taking some Melatonin

Guru
08-05-2010, 02:20 PM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31rFjNDXeFL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.naturemade.com/ProductDatabase/prd_prod.asp?productid=238

Oh man, stay away from that product. I tried it once and it gave me the shakes and this awful buzzed feeling. Didn't wear off for nearly 12 hours and had me feeling even worse than not having enough sleep. I even got a refund from the manufacturer. That stuff was horrible.

Guru
08-05-2010, 02:23 PM
I would give the tea suggestions a try but the other small problem I have is that I can't drink anything before bed when sleeping during the day. This is one thing my body never adjusted to. If I have any kind of drink before bed during the day I will have to wake up to take a piss which will defeat the purpose. I try not to even drink any water after 5am. When I sleep at night though, there is no problem at all with this.

Just something my body is extremely temperamental about.

Guru
08-05-2010, 02:24 PM
Do you back to sleep right away or are you awake for awhile before going to sleep again?

I worked graveyard (9 pm to 6 am) for five years and loved it, though I was single with no family at the time. My favorite shift, though, was 5:30 pm to 2:30 am. Go home, go to bed and get up at 10 am and have all day.

I work from 5am to 3 pm and it sucks, except for the four 10's work week part.

It usually takes me about 20 min to get back to sleep.

vailpass
08-05-2010, 02:28 PM
Have you tried jerking off on the drive home after work?

Otter
08-05-2010, 03:09 PM
Do you have blackout curtains?

Are these worse or better than roast beef curtains?

Have you tried having a stranger stand next to your bed and masturbate into a glass of milk?

DMAC
08-05-2010, 03:33 PM
whippets

Pestilence
08-05-2010, 03:34 PM
Oh man, stay away from that product. I tried it once and it gave me the shakes and this awful buzzed feeling. Didn't wear off for nearly 12 hours and had me feeling even worse than not having enough sleep. I even got a refund from the manufacturer. That stuff was horrible.

I take it and I haven't had any of those problems.

Pants
08-05-2010, 03:48 PM
Get a script for Xanax. It's an anti anxiety and sleep agent. You're doc will monitor it. It's not physically addictive unless you abuse it. Works.

Xanax is fucking addicting as hell, man. The state of New York has put in the same rules on it as actual narcotics (like Percocet, Morphine, etc). That shit is nothing to fuck with. If you take it once or twice a week, you're probably fine, but if you take it every night or more, you're going to develop a dependency.

RedThat
08-05-2010, 03:52 PM
I hear ya man.

Im in the same boat as you. It sounds like you work the night shift. I work from 11pm to 7am, and don't sleep till 8 or 830 in the morning.

It's rough. It's probably the shift you're working thats causing sleep disturbances. You may have a sleeping disorder. But that can be cured once you start following a normal and steady schedule for yourself. Do you think its possible you can change shifts? I'd try to get off that shift if I were you.

Our bodies are not meant to be sleeping during the day. We are meant to shut down when the sun goes down not up. If you can't get off your current shift, best thing to do at least I find, is follow a steady pattern. What I do is pick a time to go to bed and I stick with that time every single day. Worst thing to do is go to bed at different times. doing that will cause your circadian rhythms to be thrown off balance. Two other factors that affect sleep are exposure to light, and stress. Are you stressed out? Do you have a lot of stuff on your mind? And to avoid light exposure as much as possible, can you make your room nice and dark? Close the curtains so very little light gets into your room.

Another thing, during the day, our bodies do not produce Melatonin. So you have to take it in supplement form. Melatonin is a hormone released by the pineal gland at night for the purpose of allowing your body and mind to be in a relaxed state. It does help improve your sleep a little bit. What also helps believe it or not, is meditation. Or performing some kind of relaxation techniques right before going to bed. Hope this helps.

Good luck.

gblowfish
08-05-2010, 04:00 PM
Back in the 1980's I worked from 11pm to 6am, six nights a week, for about three years in a row. Hard to fall into that rhythm, and then hard to go back to normal life hours afterwards.

I also vote for Melatonin. It works for me usually. No caffeine at least three or four hours before bed. Benadryl also makes me very sleepy, but I have a hard time clearing my head after taking it. Melatonin is a lot softer on the system and no side effects. And it's not bad for you.

3rd&48ers
08-05-2010, 04:05 PM
Xanax is ****ing addicting as hell, man. The state of New York has put in the same rules on it as actual narcotics (like Percocet, Morphine, etc). That shit is nothing to **** with. If you take it once or twice a week, you're probably fine, but if you take it every night or more, you're going to develop a dependency.

this

RedThat
08-05-2010, 04:09 PM
I worked nights during the 80's and early 90's. Notes from experience.

Already mentioned and is true: Melatonin and Valerian. Work well together.

Also, no caffiene late in your day, do your exercising early when you get up, stay away from sleeping "drugs" (Tylenol PM or whatever) and alcohol.

Combine the Melatonin and Valerian. Worked wonders for me and others I know. Drug free and non habit forming.

Good luck.

Agree.

Never heard of Valerian. Is it a natural product?

Exercising early when you get up is the best thing. No caffeine late in the day I've always found to be challenging though. I've felt I always need some sort of stimulants to keep me awake because as soon as 5 or 6am hits, Im so tired I want to dose off.

But hey, if one can avoid it, and stay awake, the better. What i usually do is drink either a coffee or tea 2 hours before I finish work. Im done at 7 and don't hit the sac till 8 so I figure having caffeine in your system 3 hours before you go to bed wouldn't be too bad?

*Guru, also, if you can, I'd reccommend to not eat heavy late in the day. Eat light snacks.

Guru
08-05-2010, 04:40 PM
I hear ya man.

Im in the same boat as you. It sounds like you work the night shift. I work from 11pm to 7am, and don't sleep till 8 or 830 in the morning.

It's rough. It's probably the shift you're working thats causing sleep disturbances. You may have a sleeping disorder. But that can be cured once you start following a normal and steady schedule for yourself. Do you think its possible you can change shifts? I'd try to get off that shift if I were you.

Our bodies are not meant to be sleeping during the day. We are meant to shut down when the sun goes down not up. If you can't get off your current shift, best thing to do at least I find, is follow a steady pattern. What I do is pick a time to go to bed and I stick with that time every single day. Worst thing to do is go to bed at different times. doing that will cause your circadian rhythms to be thrown off balance. Two other factors that affect sleep are exposure to light, and stress. Are you stressed out? Do you have a lot of stuff on your mind? And to avoid light exposure as much as possible, can you make your room nice and dark? Close the curtains so very little light gets into your room.

Another thing, during the day, our bodies do not produce Melatonin. So you have to take it in supplement form. Melatonin is a hormone released by the pineal gland at night for the purpose of allowing your body and mind to be in a relaxed state. It does help improve your sleep a little bit. What also helps believe it or not, is meditation. Or performing some kind of relaxation techniques right before going to bed. Hope this helps.

Good luck.
Yeah, I have considered just keeping the same sleep pattern all week long but I really don't want to do that to my wife and family. Unfortunately, I will be stuck on this shift for years to come. And yes, there is some stress associated with certain aspects of my job.

Bearcat
08-05-2010, 04:59 PM
Back in the 1980's I worked from 11pm to 6am, six nights a week, for about three years in a row. Hard to fall into that rhythm, and then hard to go back to normal life hours afterwards.

I also vote for Melatonin. It works for me usually. No caffeine at least three or four hours before bed. Benadryl also makes me very sleepy, but I have a hard time clearing my head after taking it. Melatonin is a lot softer on the system and no side effects. And it's not bad for you.

I've heard many people say they have very vivid dreams/nightmares when they take Melatonin, and I had a few when I tried it in college. It worked fairly well, but I woke up from dreams a few times and then couldn't get to sleep again... so I guess some sleep was better than none as long as the part where you are standing in a forest clearing on a windy day and the thing blowing towards you ends up being the decapitated body of your brother doesn't rattle you too much.

I tried everything in college, and I think it mostly came down to not having a dark enough room (and we couldn't blackout our windows) and a hard mattress... I would sleep great on the weekends I went home (to a windowless room on a much better bed), and tried everything in the book, from the logical no caffeine/sleeping pills/steady sleep pattern (sort of)/etc to the fairly odd "only sleep in bed so your brain knows that's where you go to sleep", etc.

vailpass
08-05-2010, 05:19 PM
I've heard many people say they have very vivid dreams/nightmares when they take Melatonin, and I had a few when I tried it in college. It worked fairly well, but I woke up from dreams a few times and then couldn't get to sleep again... so I guess some sleep was better than none as long as the part where you are standing in a forest clearing on a windy day and the thing blowing towards you ends up being the decapitated body of your brother doesn't rattle you too much.

I tried everything in college, and I think it mostly came down to not having a dark enough room (and we couldn't blackout our windows) and a hard mattress... I would sleep great on the weekends I went home (to a windowless room on a much better bed), and tried everything in the book, from the logical no caffeine/sleeping pills/steady sleep pattern (sort of)/etc to the fairly odd "only sleep in bed so your brain knows that's where you go to sleep", etc.

What
In
The
Fuck?!?!?!