PDA

View Full Version : Life Need ideas for ski trip planning with kids

Mile High Mania
08-05-2010, 01:41 PM
Ok, so we're trying to figure out what we are doing for Spring Break next March ... we have 3 kids (ages 4-9) and they have never skied before. We live in the Dallas area and will drive... likely looking at Colorado, New Mexico area.

I am interested in kid friendly resorts, something that offers kid lessons, etc.

If anyone has tips from previous trips with kids, I thank you in advance for the comments. :clap:

Donger
08-05-2010, 01:42 PM
Winter Park.

Mile High Mania
08-05-2010, 01:49 PM
Winter Park.

That's on the list... what about WP though made you throw that out there over the others?

Brock
08-05-2010, 01:52 PM
Monarch is usually somewhat less crowded than the bigger ones on spring break.

Donger
08-05-2010, 02:00 PM
That's on the list... what about WP though made you throw that out there over the others?

It's the most family-friendly. But, it will be nuts over spring break.

Mile High Mania
08-05-2010, 02:13 PM
It's the most family-friendly. But, it will be nuts over spring break.

Ok, you've found the reason I'm looking for tips and suggestions... :D I am trying to minimize the "Hot Tub Time Machine" element of this trip with the kiddos.

vailpass
08-05-2010, 02:26 PM
Winter Park.

Exactly. Bunny lessons in the morning.

Stewie
08-05-2010, 03:00 PM
Ski the Summit. You have access to Copper Mtn., Keystone, A-Basin, Breckenridge and Vail (with a bit of a drive). I've skied all these places alot and I think Breckenridge is the best for beginners. Really wide-open green runs that are far less intimidating than trying to navigate a bunch of people in a small area, especially on spring break.

Guru
08-05-2010, 06:11 PM
Keystone has always been my favorite.

Gracie Dean
08-05-2010, 06:30 PM
Crested Butte

Great small town, wonderful food. Donita's Cantina is awesome

mlyonsd
08-05-2010, 06:41 PM
Maybe out of your way but Terry Peak, SD. Not too busy, great instructors for the kids. Just a couple minutes wait on all lift lines, even on the weekends. Enough runs to keep everyone occupied and the greens are gentle. Reasonable rates. Plenty of cheap places to stay including Deadwood which is about 15 minutes away.

Very, very good instructors.

DaFace
08-05-2010, 06:43 PM
I'm probably not really a great resource, since I don't have kids, but I'd probably pick Winter Park like Donger. They really make an effort to make it a family friendly place. I've got family who makes an annual trip there.

Me? I'll take the 5-mountain pass (Keystone, Breck, A-Basin, Vail, Beaver Creek). But that's not for the kid-friendly environment.

cdirty
08-05-2010, 06:45 PM
Angelfire in New Mexico was nice. Went there with the fam when we were younger.

Gracie Dean
08-05-2010, 06:52 PM
http://www.skicb.com/cbmr/index.aspx

When I lived there years ago, they called it the best kept secret. Great ski runs, family friendly and very low key.

Guru
08-05-2010, 08:38 PM
I'm probably not really a great resource, since I don't have kids, but I'd probably pick Winter Park like Donger. They really make an effort to make it a family friendly place. I've got family who makes an annual trip there.

Me? I'll take the 5-mountain pass (Keystone, Breck, A-Basin, Vail, Beaver Creek). But that's not for the kid-friendly environment.
We have never had a problem with Keystone or copper Mountain with our kids. How are they not kid friendly?

Someday I will give Winter a try but I really don't like the mountain pass you have to drive through to get there. You just never know what the weather will do to you on the way up and on the way back.

DaFace
08-05-2010, 09:42 PM
We have never had a problem with Keystone or copper Mountain with our kids. How are they not kid friendly?

Someday I will give Winter a try but I really don't like the mountain pass you have to drive through to get there. You just never know what the weather will do to you on the way up and on the way back.

Oh, I'm not saying they aren't. I just haven't seen their offerings for kids since my family always goes to WP.

lostcause
08-05-2010, 10:21 PM
Winter park will be the most family friendly. Berthoud can be bad at times, but usually its a chill and scenic drive. If you need a super chill ski day at a real family place, Sol Vista is only about a 30 minute drive up in Granby - tiny mountain, but a good begineer spot with low crowd levels if you need a break from crowds at wp and mj.

Guru
08-05-2010, 10:29 PM
Loveland is a good one for low crowds as well but you can't stay on site either.

Count Zarth
08-05-2010, 10:30 PM
Buy a Ford car with SYNC and enjoy ski reports right in your dash.

NewChief
08-05-2010, 10:32 PM
Winter park will be the most family friendly. Berthoud can be bad at times, but usually its a chill and scenic drive. If you need a super chill ski day at a real family place, Sol Vista is only about a 30 minute drive up in Granby - tiny mountain, but a good begineer spot with low crowd levels if you need a break from crowds at wp and mj.

I was actually going to suggest Sol Vista. If I had a limited budget and limited number if days to teach my kids how to ski/ride, then I think it's a great choice. We had WP passes, but we stayed at the Sil Vista lodge because it was a good value.

lostcause
08-05-2010, 10:37 PM
I was actually going to suggest Sol Vista. If I had a limited budget and limited number if days to teach my kids how to ski/ride, then I think it's a great choice. We had WP passes, but we stayed at the Sil Vista lodge because it was a good value.

I lived in a condo at the base of Sol Vista for a year - it ain't Mary Jane, but still entertaining and convenient. If you're teaching your kids to ski for the first time it's going to be a lot less crowded and a LOT less expensive then spending the same money for a bunny hill at WP.

Vette on Route 66
08-07-2010, 08:00 PM
On your way to the ski resort, I hope a semi blind sides your car and it catches on fire, mangling and burning your family to death. Close casket funerals for your whole family. **** Donko fans!!! You deserve the absolute worst.

kstater
08-07-2010, 08:02 PM
WTF post.

Yeah, you better leave while you've got the opportunity.

DenverDanChiefsFan
08-07-2010, 08:05 PM
Keystone - I know several of the ski instructors there. They are absolutely fabulous with kids. I can pm you the name of the instructor we book every time - you can request your kids be in one of his classes or you can book him for a private. We usually book a full day private lesson with him - it usually comes out cheaper than having all of us take ski school lessons.

Miles
08-07-2010, 08:28 PM
If you are actually serious about driving pretty much any of the decent sized mountains will have classes for kids and fine for a family. Durango and Taos are the closest of those and Durango is probably a better mountain to learn on and definitely the better town of the two.