PDA

View Full Version : Life Need help with AC in car.....

petegz28
08-05-2010, 02:30 PM
99 Maxima...

Quit blowing real cold last summer. Took it up to Valvoline and had them charge the AC. They said it was now blowing 58 degrees. That still seems warm to me. My 99 Camaro blows 42 degrees.

Also it seemed over the winter the heat wasn't blowing quite as hot either. Any ideas? I am hesitant to take it into the dealer but I am really at a loss. It appears there are no leaks. I have a full charge. Damn thing just isn't blowing that cold. Could it just be the age of the car??

penguinz
08-05-2010, 02:48 PM
Take it to a 'real' shop and have it vacuum tested. If it does not hold a vacuum then their is a leak somewhere. If it holds the vacuum have them refill.

Good chance Valvoline just 'topped' it off instead of removing and recharging it.

Mojo Jojo
08-05-2010, 02:50 PM
Could be age...Did they check all the belts? A lot of questions to ask...no real answers...11-year old mechanical systems are not usually a quick fix.

Fish
08-05-2010, 02:50 PM
Buy one of these...

http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/6197/61npxs2xm1lsl500aa28011.jpg

It's pretty cheap. And it should tell you if it's a freon issue, or something else. If the freon helps a bunch and you see good pressure in the system, then you'll know you have a small leak in the line somewhere. Sometimes the leak is so slow that all it takes is 1 maybe 2 of these per summer.

If it doesn't help, and the pressure is way low, then it's probably your compressor. In which case it would cost you a pretty penny...

petegz28
08-05-2010, 02:56 PM
Take it to a 'real' shop and have it vacuum tested. If it does not hold a vacuum then their is a leak somewhere. If it holds the vacuum have them refill.

Good chance Valvoline just 'topped' it off instead of removing and recharging it.

I just called Valvoline and asked them what they did. They said they put a vaccuum on the system and totally evacuated and recharged. They are willing to double-check everything but I think they did everything the right way.

Bugeater
08-05-2010, 03:02 PM
It's hard to tell with those friggin' japtraps. Our old Accord had a valve that shut off the coolant flow to the heater core when the AC was on, and it wouldn't close all the way from the dash controls, so I had to go into the engine compartment to close it manually every spring otherwise it would mix in hot air with the AC.

Groves
08-05-2010, 03:02 PM
Buy one of these...

Don't let Mr. FAX near that thing.

C-Mac
08-05-2010, 03:04 PM
If your car has a cabin air filter it might be restricted or if your flap is hung up your not able to recirculate or basically utilize the max air settings.

Pants
08-05-2010, 03:04 PM
It's blowing 58 degrees, what's the problem?

DeezNutz
08-05-2010, 03:05 PM
Callaspo shouldn't be in your car. Get his ass to LA.

King_Chief_Fan
08-05-2010, 03:08 PM
if you fail to rotate the muffler bearings, cold air just won't happen

Rooster
08-05-2010, 03:09 PM
You shouldn't need AC in Olathe.

petegz28
08-05-2010, 03:10 PM
It's blowing 58 degrees, what's the problem?

It just doesn't feel cold enough. Like I said, my Camaro is the same age and blows 15 degrees cooler. The Wife's SUV is a 2002, 3 years newer and blows a lot colder as well. The dealer even said 58 sounded a little warm.

ClevelandBronco
08-05-2010, 03:10 PM
Anti-antifreeze.

petegz28
08-05-2010, 03:11 PM
if you fail to rotate the muffler bearings, cold air just won't happen

I already did that. Replaced my tire bushings, the air filter sealant and the tramission torque restriction fluid. None of it helped!!!!!

petegz28
08-05-2010, 03:11 PM
If your car has a cabin air filter it might be restricted or if your flap is hung up your not able to recirculate or basically utilize the max air settings.

That's what some gal at the dealer told me. Then I found out my car doesn't have one. Scares me when the dealer gets clueless.

Pants
08-05-2010, 03:13 PM
I already did that. Replaced my tire bushings, the air filter sealant and the tramission torque restriction fluid. None of it helped!!!!!

:clap:

Lzen
08-05-2010, 03:15 PM
This thread interests me because we just got a 97 Maxima for my son and the AC is not blowing cold air. Had his friend's dad check the freon and he says it does not need a recharge. Don't know what is going on with it.

King_Chief_Fan

Time for petegz to get a brand new ride....Mustang 2011 would be just right

Bugeater
Speaking of recirculate, you need to make sure you have the recirculate button on your dash turned on, otherwise it will mix in hot air as well.

Reerun_KC
Did you forget to check your blinker fluid?

King_Chief_Fan
08-05-2010, 03:16 PM
This thread interests me because we just got a 97 Maxima for my son and the AC is not blowing cold air. Had his friend's dad check the freon and he says it does not need a recharge. Don't know what is going on with it.

Had similar problem with a Chrysler I used to have a few years ago.... the condensing unit was bad.

petegz28
08-05-2010, 03:19 PM
Speaking of recirculate, you need to make sure you have the recirculate button on your dash turned on, otherwise it will mix in hot air as well.

I do. And honestly I can't tlel a bit of difference. In every other car I have or had when I turned on the recirculate you could physcially feel a difference in the how hard the air was blowing. It tends to blow hard with recirculate on. When I turn mine on nothing happens at all. Don't see much change in the temperature either.

petegz28
08-05-2010, 03:20 PM
Did you forget to check your blinker fluid?

:doh!:

And I forgot the dasboard struts and steering wheel intake valve!!!!

Bugeater
08-05-2010, 03:42 PM
You should also check the condenser, it's the radiator-looking thing in front of your actual radiator, and make sure it's not plugged up with dead bugs or other crap.

C-Mac
08-05-2010, 03:57 PM
That's what some gal at the dealer told me. Then I found out my car doesn't have one. Scares me when the dealer gets clueless.

Still sounds like it could be the recirc flap not functioning.

Extra Point
08-05-2010, 05:02 PM

Blend door actuator, maybe. It moves the directional flap that mixes the air flowing across the heater core or across the A/C evaporator coil, blending them for passenger comfort.

Who knows?

HemiEd
08-05-2010, 05:24 PM
It's hard to tell with those friggin' japtraps. Our old Accord had a valve that shut off the coolant flow to the heater core when the AC was on, and it wouldn't close all the way from the dash controls, so I had to go into the engine compartment to close it manually every spring otherwise it would mix in hot air with the AC.

This, a heater control valve is a good call. Might be why he wasn't feeling the heat in the winter as well. Probably corroded partially open, and isn't getting it's full travel either direction.

bevischief
08-05-2010, 05:39 PM
New battery.

Chiefaholic
08-05-2010, 06:23 PM
Buy one of these...

It's pretty cheap. And it should tell you if it's a freon issue, or something else. If the freon helps a bunch and you see good pressure in the system, then you'll know you have a small leak in the line somewhere. Sometimes the leak is so slow that all it takes is 1 maybe 2 of these per summer.

If it doesn't help, and the pressure is way low, then it's probably your compressor. In which case it would cost you a pretty penny...

This is the simplest and cheapest fix. It shouldn't take more than 10 minutes to have you up and running again. If it's a slow leak, this should take care of you fo the entire summer. If not, plan to spend approx $200 and do the work yourself.