PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Derrick Johnson likes the scheme

Mr. Laz
08-06-2010, 01:51 PM
Chiefs Training Camp: Derrick Johnson Says He's More Of A Complete Player

http://cdn0.sbnation.com/profile_images/240996/headshot_tiny.jpg by Joel Thorman (http://www.sbnation.com/users/Joel%20Thorman) on Aug 6, 2010 10:54 AM PDT (http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2010/8/6/1609260/chiefs-training-camp-derrick) in Chiefs Training Camp (http://www.arrowheadpride.com/section/chiefs-training-camp)

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/509900/59068_chiefs_broncos_football.jpg (http://www.arrowheadpride.com/photos/chiefs-training-camp-derrick)
More photos (http://www.arrowheadpride.com/photos/chiefs-training-camp-derrick) Chris Schneider - AP

Browse more photos (http://www.arrowheadpride.com/photos/chiefs-training-camp-derrick)

Chiefs (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/KAN) LB Derrick Johnson has been running with the first and second team throughout training camp. On Friday, the Chiefs switched things up slightly by pairing him with LB Corey Mays. Previously he's been working with Jovan Belcher (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/78011/Jovan_Belcher) on the inside.

DJ told Bob Fescoe of 610 Sports after practice Friday that he's becoming more of a complete player (http://fileskcsp.com/josh/0806derrickjohnson.mp3).

"I think I'm getting better every day and I think it's because of the scheme," DJ said. "It's teaching me new things, especially approaching blockers. I'm not saying I wasn't good at approaching blockers but in a 4-3 defense you approach it differently. It's just a different scheme. The things I know now...I think I'm more of a complete player right now."
I go back often to what Zach Thomas (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/2538/Zach_Thomas) had to say upon arriving in Kansas City last year. He suggested that DJ's role on the Chiefs 3-4 defense would be his best scheme yet (http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2009/9/21/1045327/some-big-plays-for-chiefs-lb) and really free him up to use his athleticism.

DJ explained, specifically, what he is doing now with the 3-4 that he wasn't before.

"Just using my hands more," he said. "I've always been pretty physical with blockers but just using my hands more. Being more consistent with my hands and shedding blockers. I'm doing a bunch of stuff this year that in a 4-3 you don't have a chance to do. It's kind of more of a run and hit thing with the 4-3 defense but right now it's take care of your responsibility, then go get the ball."

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-06-2010, 02:23 PM
He really hates the scheme, he's just being nice.

OnTheWarpath58
08-06-2010, 02:25 PM
How much better would this kid be this year had he gotten more playing time/experience in the 34 last year?

michaelj_58
08-06-2010, 02:29 PM
do it dj its time.

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-06-2010, 02:33 PM
How much better would this kid be this year had he gotten more playing time/experience in the 34 last year?

I agree BUT:

"He rrack a dishiprine"!:D

http://shanghaiist.com/attachments/shang_jay/0807chang.gif

beach tribe
08-06-2010, 02:47 PM

He is unquestionably a more focused, and dedicated player today because he had to EARN a job.

Something he never had to do before.

Benching his ass was genius, and may have turned him into something special.
We'll see..........

The Bad Guy
08-06-2010, 02:56 PM
So basically, he should have gotten more time after loafing in practice and lacking dedication in his preperation last year.

RightTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT.

Pestilence
08-06-2010, 02:57 PM
Of course he likes it......

He's actually going to try this year because it's a contract year.

OnTheWarpath58
08-06-2010, 03:08 PM
So basically, he should have gotten more time after loafing in practice and lacking dedication in his preperation last year.

RightTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT.

What is it with this fanbase taking the moral high road? Is this league about winning, or proving a fucking point?

On a team this shitty, you're best players, play.

Especially when those players are light years ahead of their replacements.

People act like Todd Haley invented the fucking wheel, and all he's done is sit talented players over petty bullshit.

Christ, he deactivated Jamaal Charles for a game, and it took LJ going on a homophobe rant to get playing time.

The organization asks players that were drafted to play in a 43 to play in a different scheme, then wonder why they don't get any better when they don't get consistent playing time.

Just Passin' By
08-06-2010, 03:11 PM
What is it with this fanbase taking the moral high road? Is this league about winning, or proving a ****ing point?

Sometimes winning in the long term requires "proving points" in the short term.

OnTheWarpath58
08-06-2010, 03:15 PM
Sometimes winning in the long term requires "proving points" in the short term.

By "proving points" to the 80% of the current roster that won't be around when they're winning?

If Pioli's drafting correctly, the remaining 20% shouldn't need such a message.

Mr. Laz
08-06-2010, 03:16 PM

He's actually going to try this year because it's a contract year.this is a big concern

Just Passin' By
08-06-2010, 03:17 PM
By "proving points" to the 80% of the current roster that won't be around when they're winning?

If Pioli's drafting correctly, the remaining 20% shouldn't need such a message.

Winning coaches like Parcells, Belichick, Johnson, Shanahan, Cowher etc.... have apparently taken an approach that you disagree with.

OnTheWarpath58
08-06-2010, 03:20 PM
Winning coaches like Parcells, Belichick, Johnson, Shanahan, Cowher etc.... have apparently taken an approach that you disagree with.

None of those coaches had a team this devoid of talent except for Jimmy Johnson.

And he immediately restocked the cupboard with the Hershel Walker trade.

He sent the message after the core was built, not before.

beach tribe
08-06-2010, 03:23 PM
What is it with this fanbase taking the moral high road? Is this league about winning, or proving a ****ing point?

People act like Todd Haley invented the ****ing wheel, and all he's done is sit talented players over petty bullshit.

Christ, he deactivated Jamaal Charles for a game, and it took LJ going on a homophobe rant to get playing time.

The organization asks players that were drafted to play in a 43 to play in a different scheme, then wonder why they don't get any better when they don't get consistent playing time.

Yeah, he was a real world beater in the 4-3.

We saw DJ play with fire for the first time ever, and it took getting benched to make it happen. I never said Haley was all mighty or that he didn't make mistakes, because he did, but in this case, he made the right call.
I hope he makes the right call more often in his sophomore season. I really think having Weis around is going to do wonders for the man.

blaise
08-06-2010, 03:24 PM
Talk is cheap. We'll see.

OnTheWarpath58
08-06-2010, 03:30 PM
Yeah, he was a real world beater in the 4-3.

No sense in reading any further, since your opening statement is way off base.

What does his performance in the 4-3, with shitty coaching, have to do with playing a different scheme?

Oh, that's right.

Nothing.

HemiEd
08-06-2010, 03:31 PM

Well we can play that game all the way back, to when he was drafted.

How much better would he have been if he hadn't had a total moron for a DC?

OnTheWarpath58
08-06-2010, 03:51 PM
Well we can play that game all the way back, to when he was drafted.

How much better would he have been if he hadn't had a total moron for a DC?

It's moot point, Ed. Changing schemes makes the past irrelevant.

The Bad Guy
08-06-2010, 04:02 PM

People act like Todd Haley invented the ****ing wheel, and all he's done is sit talented players over petty bullshit.

Yes, that's what I'm acting like. I'm acting like Haley fucking invented football.

Give me a break.

You're complaining he didn't play and it's been outlined SEVERAL times that he lacked focus, prepartion and dedication last year.

But you're right - Haley should have played him when he fucking loafed most of the time.

That sends a good message to the team as a first year HC. Just go through the motions and you'll play regardless.

I'm sorry I don't subscribe to that completely ridiculous theory - I don't care how talented the players are.

notorious
08-06-2010, 04:06 PM

He's actually going to try this year because it's a contract year.

Homerun.

Deberg_1990
08-06-2010, 04:08 PM
So did he give up the drinking and partying then??

JASONSAUTO
08-06-2010, 04:31 PM
Yes, that's what I'm acting like. I'm acting like Haley fucking invented football.

Give me a break.

You're complaining he didn't play and it's been outlined SEVERAL times that he lacked focus, prepartion and dedication last year.

But you're right - Haley should have played him when he fucking loafed most of the time.

That sends a good message to the team as a first year HC. Just go through the motions and you'll play regardless.

I'm sorry I don't subscribe to that completely ridiculous theory - I don't care how talented the players are.

agreed. some people want to bitch though
Posted via Mobile Device

onwardthruthefog
08-06-2010, 04:38 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

looks like the OTW fella is one of those i'm always right and will never even condiser your point people. what a loser way to go through life. i agree with the folks that say Haley did it right my making an example and getting the most of his players. we weren't gonna win shit last year and eveyone knew it. it was part of the building for the future plan. seems like a no brainer but some people just go though life not getting it. those people make their stand on the internet.

Just Passin' By
08-06-2010, 04:41 PM
None of those coaches had a team this devoid of talent except for Jimmy Johnson.

You should probably read Gridiron Leadership: Winning Strategies and Breakthrough Tactics

Pestilence
08-06-2010, 04:46 PM
looks like the OTW fella is one of those i'm always right and will never even condiser your point people. what a loser way to go through life. i agree with the folks that say Haley did it right my making an example and getting the most of his players. we weren't gonna win shit last year and eveyone knew it. it was part of the building for the future plan. seems like a no brainer but some people just go though life not getting it. those people make their stand on the internet.

:rolleyes:

Marcellus
08-06-2010, 04:49 PM
You should probably read Gridiron Leadership: Winning Strategies and Breakthrough Tactics

You can lead a horse to water but.....you know the rest.

Only on CP.

If DJ tears it up and makes the probowl, instead of it being because he learned a lesson last year and got himself focused this season it would be "He would have done that last year had he played, dumbass Haley".

It freaking hilarious how people spin shit around here.

Pestilence
08-06-2010, 04:59 PM

Only on CP.

If DJ tears it up and makes the probowl, instead of it being because he learned a lesson last year and got himself focused this season it would be "He would have done that last year had he played, dumbass Haley".

If he tears it up next year......it's more than likely because he's in a contract year.

OnTheWarpath58
08-06-2010, 05:03 PM

Only on CP.

Funny how when he played, he "tore it up."

OnTheWarpath58
08-06-2010, 05:04 PM

Give me a break.

Posted via Mobile Device

Enjoy losing, then.

Because you're not going to win with your most talented players on the bench.

What message does "losing to prove a point" send?

onwardthruthefog
08-06-2010, 05:06 PM
If he tears it up next year......it's more than likely because he's in a contract year.

but it definatly won't have anything to do with Haleys motivational tools. i mean really, can you imagine? a good coach getting the best out of a player? unheard of! especially in a contract year. though i agree, being a contract year is motivating in and of itself, a coach can certainly help even if most of the motivating was done last year by embarassing his lazy ass.

Marcellus
08-06-2010, 05:06 PM

You have the most selective memory I have ever seen. He stunk as much as he played well. Go watch the Pittsburgh game. He fucked up more plays than he made.You are dead wrong.

He also got worse year after year being handed the starting job by Herm. He needed a wake up call.

Feel free to remember only what fits your opinion though.

onwardthruthefog
08-06-2010, 05:07 PM
Enjoy losing, then.

STheFU, already. :)

The Bad Guy
08-06-2010, 05:12 PM
Enjoy losing, then.

What message does "Play guys who clearly don't give a shit" send?

I'll take it you've never coached anything at any level before in your life.

The Bad Guy
08-06-2010, 05:14 PM

Ha. Tore it up? You must only remember the last game.

He flashed at times.

I'm really shocked at this mindset from you to be honest. It seems like honestly anything these Haley/Pioli Chiefs do, you want to be the first one there criticizing. To say that you don't care a player loafs or has a lax attitude and he should play regardless is completely off the wall.

penchief
08-06-2010, 05:15 PM

huh? That makes no sense.

You implement your standards and lay out your expectations from the start. Otherwise you won't be around long enough to acquire the right players with the right attitudes. Not doing so would be doing things half-assed and would undermine the ultimate goal. Getting everyone on board is step number one.

Similarly, firing Chan Gailey just before the start of the season made things infiniitely more difficult last year but set the table for the offense to hit the ground running this year. It was ultimately the right thing to do.

Appeasing star players because they have more talent than those players who are more effective in their execution of the gameplan is self-defeating. If Johnson becomes a better player this year it will be because he was held accountable and not because he was given a free ride. And the chiefs will benefit from that approach.

The shortest distance between two points is always a straight line.

beach tribe
08-06-2010, 05:22 PM
Enjoy losing, then.

How many games do you think we could have won if only DJ Awesomeness had been on the field every down?

Damn. What a wasted opportunity at glory.

JASONSAUTO
08-06-2010, 06:20 PM

lol ok...

you must not pay much attention.
Posted via Mobile Device

JASONSAUTO
08-06-2010, 06:24 PM
Enjoy losing, then.

and another lol.

i think the message was that if you dont do everything to the best of your abilities then you wont play. no loafing.

but think what you want ( you will anyways)
Posted via Mobile Device

Douche Baggins
08-06-2010, 06:28 PM
What's funny about DJ "tearing it up" in the last game is he missed three tackles in that game.

Pioli Zombie
08-06-2010, 06:51 PM
"Pioli sucks. Haley sucks. Weis sucks. Crennel sucks. Cassel sucks. Everything sucks. Why bother?"
- Mecca, Hamas, and OTW

OnTheWarpath58
08-06-2010, 07:02 PM
You have the most selective memory I have ever seen. He stunk as much as he played well. Go watch the Pittsburgh game. He fucked up more plays than he made.You are dead wrong.

He also got worse year after year being handed the starting job by Herm. He needed a wake up call.

Feel free to remember only what fits your opinion though.

He played no worse than his replacement, that's for damn sure. Actually, I can't recall any of his replacement ever "flashing".

And again, what he did in a 43 with Gunther as DC is irrelevant here. Last year was the first year in an entirely new scheme.

It amazes me how people want to run players like Pollard, DJ and Bowe out of town, but embrace POS like Lance Long, Jerheme Urban, Andy Studebaker, etc.

Talent wins ballgames. fellas. Not attitude. This is the NFL, not a fucking Disney movie where everyone learns a lesson in sportsmanship and they win the big game.

I'm going out for the night.

Later.

penchief
08-06-2010, 07:15 PM
He played no worse than his replacement, that's for damn sure. Actually, I can't recall any of his replacement ever "flashing".

And again, what he did in a 43 with Gunther as DC is irrelevant here. Last year was the first year in an entirely new scheme.

It amazes me how people want to run players like Pollard, DJ and Bowe out of town, but embrace POS like Lance Long, Jerheme Urban, Andy Studebaker, etc.

Talent wins ballgames. fellas. Not attitude. This is the NFL, not a ****ing Disney movie where everyone learns a lesson in sportsmanship and they win the big game.

Later.

Talent plus discipline equals a winner. Talent without discipline is worthless. DJ flashes but is worthless about 80% of the time. That just doesn't cut it in the ultimate team sport where the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

JASONSAUTO
08-06-2010, 07:19 PM

Talent wins ballgames. fellas. Not attitude. This is the NFL, not a fucking Disney movie where everyone learns a lesson in sportsmanship and they win the big game.

Later.

who has embraced long or urban?
Posted via Mobile Device

The Bad Guy
08-06-2010, 07:20 PM

Talent wins ballgames. fellas. Not attitude. This is the NFL, not a ****ing Disney movie where everyone learns a lesson in sportsmanship and they win the big game.

Later.

Wow. Just wow.

Again, there's about a .1% chance you've ever coached anything in your life with that attitude. You want to completely ignore work ethic, hard work, preparation and dedication as insanely important facets of a good team.

No, I don't want to run Bowe or DJ out of town, I want them to work up to the fucking ability they are paid for.

And it appears, after a year of kicking them in the ass, Haley has finally gotten through to them.

However, I'm not shocked you are making this thread about Haley making a mistake in your eyes last year instead of it being what he should that he is getting these talented players to buy in this year and will hopefully carry this new found attitude moving forward. He should have just let it be like Herm where he told them their shit didn't stick just for the sake of "winning".

You're right - it's not Disney. It's also not fucking Little League either where you can slack off and still dominate the opposition with sheer talent alone.

Good god.

Marcellus
08-06-2010, 07:42 PM
Wow. Just wow.

Again, there's about a .1% chance you've ever coached anything in your life with that attitude. You want to completely ignore work ethic, hard work, preparation and dedication as insanely important facets of a good team.

No, I don't want to run Bowe or DJ out of town, I want them to work up to the ****ing ability they are paid for.

And it appears, after a year of kicking them in the ass, Haley has finally gotten through to them.

However, I'm not shocked you are making this thread about Haley making a mistake in your eyes last year instead of it being what he should that he is getting these talented players to buy in this year and will hopefully carry this new found attitude moving forward. He should have just let it be like Herm where he told them their shit didn't stick just for the sake of "winning".

You're right - it's not Disney. It's also not ****ing Little League either where you can slack off and still dominate the opposition with sheer talent alone.

Good god.

If Bowe and DJ have their best seasons it will be because of last year.

DJ did not develop under Herm, he did not get better he got worse. Bowe was also underperforming. Something had to change.

Just Passin' By
08-06-2010, 07:44 PM

Later.

How many ballgames did Ryan Leaf win?

Marcellus
08-06-2010, 07:45 PM
To follow up, we all thought it a miracle when DJ fell to us, the reason he fell was he a reputation as being a soft player.

He has lived up to that rep in KC. He needs to toughen up and babying his ass won't accomplish that.

milkman
08-06-2010, 08:56 PM
I'm usually on the same pag with you Path, but in this case, I can't agree with your opinion.

I don't know if DJ is going to blow up this year, but I do believe, if he had simply continued to start in spite of his poor work ethic and not been held accountable for that lazy ethic, he would have continued to underachieve.

BossChief
08-06-2010, 09:08 PM
This is a great pic of after the Denver game.

I bet DJ feels deep down that Haleys motivational techniques saved his career.

milkman
08-06-2010, 09:13 PM
This is a great pic of after the Denver game.

I bet DJ feels deep down that Haleys motivational techniques saved his career.

Where have you been, you useless bastard?

Is this formerdbs weekend at camp?

aturnis
08-06-2010, 09:17 PM

Probably not much at all. DJ needed his spot taken away from him in order to motivate him to WANT to be better.

DJ has been a starter his whole life, and from day one in the NFL. Haley took that away from him b/c, frankly he didn't deserve it, he never even had to earn it.

You think DJ liked being a second teamer? You think he liked being asked by the media what was going on for weeks? It embarassed him.

I think that he probably wanted out, but knew if he went public, it would do him more harm than good. So he kept quite and did everything in his power to change his situation.

I think MOST of those previous shortcomings came in the mental aspect of the game(knowing his job, film, etc.) and always relied on his athletic ability and freelancing. Also, his technique and the fundamentals.(Don't you think it's odd that he's been a pro for how many years now? Yet none of his previous coaches thought teaching him to use his hands more, even in the 4-3, would make him a better player?) Sometimes he looked good, while other times he looked like a fool. Hence the ever inconsistent DJ.

Haley used "tough love" to show DJ he needed that other aspect to be a part of his game in order to be a better player. He needed to know his assignment in order to better help his team.

I think it seems to have worked too. He seemed genuinely happy with his progress and confident that he has become better. Maybe now he's really buying in.

If DJ would have played out last year, he would still be the same DJ he was last year... After all, it's not like he didn't practice and learn all last year. He more than likely worked harder than he ever has last year, in the classroom and meeting room that is.

Now he is STILL fighting in camp this year. He even stepped up his tempo in warms ups so much that DMo and Mays also had to, neither one wanting to be the guy who loses his spot to DJ.

I am VERY happy about the technique Haley used to motivate DJ. Sometimes it's hard to find the right motivation for a player. I think Haley did what he had to do in order to motive DJ. :clap:

aturnis
08-06-2010, 09:30 PM

Your logic seems silly to me.

Your thought process seems to be: DJ should play and we could have won one or two more games! This league is about winning! Best player plays! Yada yada.

This seems pretty true fan to me. So concerned about that one to two more games to become what? 6-10? YAY! We're BETTER! Who cares about one or two game last year?

I like Haley's logic myself.

It seems to be: I am willing to sacrifice one or two games this year for the greater good of this football team. If it takes what may seem to be a ridiculous action to help this team, then that is what I will do, and for it, DJ will hopefully become a better, more consistent player. He might finally be able to live up to that franchise player level of production that was always expected of him. This league isn't about winning one or two games this year, it's about winning FUCKING CHAMPIONSHIPS DAMMIT! Even if DJ played last year, we weren't going to win one, so lets work now to realize that in our future.

BossChief
08-06-2010, 09:39 PM
Where have you been, you useless bastard?

Is this formerdbs weekend at camp?

this is the busy time of the year in my business, you old dumbass! Ive chimed in about as much as I can.

yeah, it should be this weekend unless things changed.

milkman
08-06-2010, 09:49 PM
this is the busy time of the year in my business, you old dumbass! Ive chimed in about as much as I can.

yeah, it should be this weekend unless things changed.

Hey, I'm not that old.

What business are you in?

RustShack
08-06-2010, 09:49 PM
DJ to the Pro Bowl this year. Crennel saves our DL, DJ and Hali tear it apart with either Mays or Belcher stuffing the run and Vrabel being the veteran hardworker and Studebaker making plays getting as many if not more snaps than Mike. Oh, Brandon Flowers and Eric Berry. Enough said.

BOOM

BossChief
08-06-2010, 09:58 PM
Hey, I'm not that old.

What business are you in?

I used to own a directv subcontractor (professional installs out of cedar rapids iowa), but it tanked when they (DTV) decided to come into my area and bring in 40 DTV vans and all my guys went to work for them, we (I was in a partnership with a long time friend in the business) got totally screwed on the deal and am in the middle of a big lawsuit concerning how the changeover went. I also got into some bad investments and lost a lot of my savings in the last year or so. Now, I just install Directv (and Dish network actually, kinda funny) for a local retailer. TBH Im glad to be rid of all the BS involved anyways and am glad to just be the little guy again.

I have been working from 8-730 about 6 days a week for the last month or so and that wont slow down for the next month or two. Then I am planning on taking part of the winter off, but we will see how it goes.

aturnis
08-06-2010, 10:04 PM
looks like the OTW fella is one of those i'm always right and will never even condiser your point people.

You're a fast learner. Stick around.

BossChief
08-06-2010, 10:05 PM
You're a fast learner. Stick around.

yeah, its not like hes been banned recently or anything and is BRAND NEW

aturnis
08-06-2010, 10:07 PM
I used to own a directv subcontractor (professional installs out of cedar rapids iowa), but it tanked when they (DTV) decided to come into my area and bring in 40 DTV vans and all my guys went to work for them, we (I was in a partnership with a long time friend in the business) got totally screwed on the deal and am in the middle of a big lawsuit concerning how the changeover went. I also got into some bad investments and lost a lot of my savings in the last year or so. Now, I just install Directv (and Dish network actually, kinda funny) for a local retailer. TBH Im glad to be rid of all the BS involved anyways and am glad to just be the little guy again.

I have been working from 8-730 about 6 days a week for the last month or so and that wont slow down for the next month or two. Then I am planning on taking part of the winter off, but we will see how it goes.

When you coming to install my dish?

BossChief
08-06-2010, 10:14 PM
When you coming to install my dish?

I do get paid for sales so if you want it, let me know via pm. I live in Marion Iowa and they pay my mileage so I can come to install it if its within 90 miles of here. Im pretty much the best ever...sorry skip

aturnis
08-06-2010, 10:14 PM

Obviously b/c they mostly played him on passing downs where he generally excels and took him out(most of the time) where he has always been a huge liability, the run game.

Crazy how taking away the bad can make things look good. If he had played every snap though, you would have been cussing him out for missing his gap assignment and giving up the big play. Saying "typical DJ, one play(or week) he's flying around making plays, the next, he reminds you why he's a disappointment."

The change to a 3-4 didn't make him better. The fact that he was learning everything probably did. Kudos to them for not thrusting it all on him at once either. He mostly played passing downs first half of the year, coverage or rush, then as the season went on, he saw more action against the run, probably as he showed more and more that he was understanding it in practice. He did step up though. hopefully he'll beast it this year, and not b/c it's a contract year.

aturnis
08-06-2010, 10:18 PM
I do get paid for sales so if you want it, let me know via pm. I live in Marion Iowa and they pay my mileage so I can come to install it if its within 90 miles of here. Im pretty much the best ever...sorry skip

What are the internet options? Any of them any good? Best deal now? I'm mostly concerned about ps3 gaming and sunday ticket. I'm on the SW side, shoot me a PM with answers if you want. It'd be a real easy install more than likely, wouldn't have to run any wire in the house, just from the dish to the demarc.

BossChief
08-06-2010, 10:19 PM
I have been pounding DJs twitter all offseason telling him that if he wants to be a full time starter again, he will need to be gap responsible and play the run well to earn his "run downs" back and not be just a nickle player.

Im glad to see he listened and has taken my advice to heart.

(there is a touch of humor in this, but I have in fact been doing so and his biggest praise has been the changes in his game against the run and "taking on and shedding blockers"...though I doubt even 1% of it was due to my offeringson his twitter, to think otherwise is laughable.)

aturnis
08-06-2010, 10:28 PM
"Pioli sucks. Haley sucks. Weis sucks. Crennel sucks. Cassel sucks. Everything sucks. Why bother?"
- Mecca, Hamas, and OTW

Don't forget the new little ball washer they got, Billay, and Pestilence, the one who was promoted from ball washer to cheerleader with such posts as ":rolleyes:" in defense of his fearless leader. :D

No offense, no problem with any of ya, ya just set yourselves up for it. All stickin' together an all in the name of negativity. It really does set you guys up on a pedestal though. That is what you're going for isn't it? Better than everyone else? Again though, you goofy ****ers are alright, silly, but alright.

aturnis
08-06-2010, 11:09 PM
Wow. Just wow.

I'm guessing he was spoiled and didn't have to work for much as a kid. Let's hope he doesn't bring any children into this world and raise them with those core beliefs in mind. If so, poor kids.

No, I don't want to run Bowe or DJ out of town, I want them to work up to the ****ing ability they are paid for.

Oh, do we not? Do we not? I think we did....but we don't? Warpath said though... Okay, so we don't? Gotta get this decided.

Let's hope. I think Bowe thought he could get away with "playing Haley's game" last year, and not really buying. Hopefully hanging out with other talented and committed players(the Fitz and Carter) will help him take a more mature approach.

Letting the best players play and not holding them accountable was Herm 101. "They don't need to run, these are professional athletes! They take care of themselves, they know what they have to do to be ready." Hence the reason they were complacent fat and slow. Haley had to bring out Jenny Craig to get that mess taken care of.

OnTheWarpath58
08-06-2010, 11:18 PM
I'm usually on the same pag with you Path, but in this case, I can't agree with your opinion.

I don't know if DJ is going to blow up this year, but I do believe, if he had simply continued to start in spite of his poor work ethic and not been held accountable for that lazy ethic, he would have continued to underachieve.

No worries here. I respect your opinion, though we don't share the same one in this case.

I just think that people are quick to give Haley credit for something I don't think he has a fucking thing to do with. We're talking about a guy that deactivated Jamaal Charles, FFS. Thank God for LJ's homophobe rant, or JC would still be the #2 behind TJ.

DJ was going to work his ass off this year whether Haley benched him last year or not. It's a contract year. People that say that Haley motivated him by sitting have watched one to many episodes of Friday Night Lights.

And like Page, if you're not going to play your most talented players, then deal them. This garbage about holding him for value is retarded. If the Chiefs think he holds value, then they should play the fucking kid.

The Bad Guy
08-06-2010, 11:29 PM
No worries here. I respect your opinion, though we don't share the same one in this case.

I just think that people are quick to give Haley credit for something I don't think he has a ****ing thing to do with. We're talking about a guy that deactivated Jamaal Charles, FFS. Thank God for LJ's homophobe rant, or JC would still be the #2 behind TJ.

DJ was going to work his ass off this year whether Haley benched him last year or not. It's a contract year. People that say that Haley motivated him by sitting have watched one to many episodes of Friday Night Lights.

And like Page, if you're not going to play your most talented players, then deal them. This garbage about holding him for value is retarded. If the Chiefs think he holds value, then they should play the ****ing kid.

I really like you on this board. I do.

However, you're dead wrong here.

You want to rip Haley for every decision, but you have praised him for nothing. You really think that DJ was going to work regardless? That's pie in the sky shit.

So basically, Haley deserves credit for very little. If Bowe and DJ play better this year, it's just because of them and nothing he did?

And now we are on to Page. The Chiefs should just let him go? Really? So what, we can listen to you bitch about it next year?

The logic here just competely baffles me.

Page doesn't sign his tender. Yet, it's the Chiefs holding him hostage? If he really wanted a trade so bad, he should report and force their hand.

wasi
08-07-2010, 12:18 AM
I just think that people are quick to give Haley credit for something I don't think he has a ****ing thing to do with. We're talking about a guy that deactivated Jamaal Charles, FFS. Thank God for LJ's homophobe rant, or JC would still be the #2 behind TJ.

It happens every year on the majority of teams. One example is Aaron Rodgers had to wait for Favre to retire before he started. Charles was a 2nd year guy, not protoypically built, and had fumbling issues in the preseason. All coaches preach no giveaways so I don't blame Haley for planning to bring Charles in slowly.

BigRock
08-07-2010, 12:47 AM
I just think that people are quick to give Haley credit for something I don't think he has a fucking thing to do with. We're talking about a guy that deactivated Jamaal Charles, FFS. Thank God for LJ's homophobe rant, or JC would still be the #2 behind TJ.

I can only assume you missed it, but the Star did a big piece on Charles last year where he said his deactivation, yes, motivated him. If memory serves, he described it as a wake-up call. He started working harder than ever, especially on the areas that were knocks on him coming out of college. He credits it with making him better.

So A), it's probably time to table the "Haley doesn't have a clue, the guy deactivated Charles!" stuff, and B) that Charles thing was one game. Do you really think an entire season of that had no impact on DJ?

I mean, DJ's from Texas, he probably watched every episode of Friday Night Lights.

-King-
08-07-2010, 01:14 AM
I can only assume you missed it, but the Star did a big piece on Charles last year where he said his deactivation, yes, motivated him. If memory serves, he described it as a wake-up call. He started working harder than ever, especially on the areas that were knocks on him coming out of college. He credits it with making him better.

So A), it's probably time to table the "Haley doesn't have a clue, the guy deactivated Charles!" stuff, and B) that Charles thing was one game. Do you really think an entire season of that had no impact on DJ?

I mean, DJ's from Texas, he probably watched every episode of Friday Night Lights.

Yep. KANSAS CITY, Mo. — It was gnawing at the kid. He'd arrived at Arrowhead Stadium a few days earlier and saw his name on the list of inactive players. Jamaal Charles was benched.

It was a signal to Charles that he wasn't important enough to the Chiefs to even wear the uniform. That he didn't even offer the team enough to have him on the sideline.

"I'm telling myself, 'You're better than this,' '' Charles says now. "It was just hurtful. I would never in my life think that a player like me would be inactive."

He had to say something. Coach Todd Haley had made the decision, and Charles wanted to speak his piece. The Chiefs' young running back, buried on the depth chart and forgotten , wanted to tell Haley that it wouldn't always be like this. After practice, days after missing the Chiefs' home loss to Oakland in the season's second week, Charles approached Haley.

"I went up to him," Charles says, "and said, 'coach, I'll play hard. I'll do anything you want. I just don't want to be inactive.' ''

Charles sat out that game against Oakland last September, and something happened.

"I woke up," he says.

He approached Haley, a touchy decision considering the coach's fiery personality, and told him that he was not satisfied being anything other than great. He was willing to do what it took to reach the goals he set back in Port Arthur.

Haley didn't tell his young running back, but he liked that Charles let him know it wasn't OK to be average.

Charles says he worked harder than ever to become a complete running back. Worked on his route-running, his mental approach and reducing those fumbles that still plague him. If he entered the NFL with questions, he was determined to eliminate them.

http://www.statesman.com/sports/pro/texas-ex-jamaal-charles-up-and-coming-in-148340.html

beach tribe
08-07-2010, 06:12 AM
Yep.

http://www.statesman.com/sports/pro/texas-ex-jamaal-charles-up-and-coming-in-148340.html

And as Charles walked away, Haley said to himself "Yes, you will".

penchief
08-07-2010, 06:41 AM

And like Page, if you're not going to play your most talented players, then deal them. This garbage about holding him for value is retarded. If the Chiefs think he holds value, then they should play the ****ing kid.

DJ was never going to be more than what he was without a push. And what he was was never going to be going to be good enough on a winning team. He flashed but that was all he did. He was consistently bad much more than he was good. How can that be good enough for anyone, including you?

Regarding Page. You can't play a player who hasn't signed his tender. This entire Page flap begins and ends with Page. He didn't sign his tender because he wants to be traded. He didn't show up for any of the off season work because he wants to be traded. He's trying to force the team's hand. And because he has been unable to do so thus far he's now opted to badmouth the team publicly and resort to the victim card.

Page is counting on people like you to buy in to his garbage the same way some of you bought in to the bullshit Brian Waters was trying to pull. How did that turn out?

Again, if Page wants to play he should have signed his tender and came to camp ready to win a starting job. But instead he chose another path. No matter how you try to spin it that is on Page and has nothing to do with Pioli and Haley.

You continue to perpetuate a false narrative regarding Pioli and Haley.

Marcellus
08-07-2010, 07:00 AM

Blasphemy. Haley had nothing to do with it he is just an idiot.;)

Remember all of the talk and worry about him "losing the team" last year. Seems pretty laughable now doesn't it.

Everyone but Page attends all off season activities. Everyone but Page is at camp busting their ass.

Not one bad comment made by a player during the season or offseason including players that left KC.
Now there is "concern" about how Page is being treated and how that is perceived around the league yada,yada yada.

A bunch of contrived bullshit made into a story for people who like to bitch to have something to bitch about.

milkman
08-07-2010, 07:26 AM
Blasphemy. Haley had nothing to do with it he is just an idiot.;)

Remember all of the talk and worry about him "losing the team" last year. Seems pretty laughable now doesn't it.

Everyone but Page attends all off season activities. Everyone but Page is at camp busting their ass.

Not one bad comment made by a player during the season or offseason including players that left KC.
Now there is "concern" about how Page is being treated and how that is perceived around the league yada,yada yada.

A bunch of contrived bullshit made into a story for people who like to bitch to have something to bitch about.

As you probably know, I wasn't really happy that Clark Hunt hired Scott Pioli, though I did give him props for luring the most sought after GM candidate to KC, where others had failed.

But I did like the hiring of Todd Haley (the first HC hire I've liked since Marv Levy, who I believe was fired prematurely, but that's another discussion) and I like the intensity and fire he brings t the job.

However, I do believe he came really close to the point where he could have lost the team before he dialed it back.

OnTheWarpath58
08-07-2010, 08:19 AM
I really like you on this board. I do.

However, you're dead wrong here.

You want to rip Haley for every decision, but you have praised him for nothing. You really think that DJ was going to work regardless? That's pie in the sky shit.

So basically, Haley deserves credit for very little. If Bowe and DJ play better this year, it's just because of them and nothing he did?

And now we are on to Page. The Chiefs should just let him go? Really? So what, we can listen to you bitch about it next year?

The logic here just competely baffles me.

Page doesn't sign his tender. Yet, it's the Chiefs holding him hostage? If he really wanted a trade so bad, he should report and force their hand.

I like you too, Frank. Nothing personal here.

I've been disagreed with before on this board and I'll be disagreed with again.

It's part of what makes this place great. If everyone agreed, this place would be boring.

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-07-2010, 11:37 AM
Okay, I can see and understand the "sitting/doghouse"-schtick in the first couple of years of the new administration; you're setting a tone. Got it.
But if we end up in another Gannon/Grbac-situation, not necessarily contract-related, where the best guy is riding the pine when it counts?
I will personally fly to KC and shit on BOTH their heads(Pioli/Haley).

milkman
08-07-2010, 11:51 AM
Okay, I can see and understand the "sitting/doghouse"-schtick in the first couple of years of the new administration; you're setting a tone. Got it.
But if we end up in another Gannon/Grbac-situation, not necessarily contract-related, where the best guy is riding the pine when it counts?
I will personally fly to KC and shit on BOTH their heads(Pioli/Haley).

At the end of the day, I don't think it makes a damn bit of difference who the best guy is.

Neither of them are likely going to take us anywhere.

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-07-2010, 12:03 PM
At the end of the day, I don't think it makes a damn bit of difference who the best guy is.

Neither of them are likely going to take us anywhere.

Pioli/Haley?

milkman
08-07-2010, 01:43 PM
Pioli/Haley?

Cassel/Croyle

Coach
08-07-2010, 01:48 PM
Cassel/Croyle

That's the truth. Croyle would, but his confidence is questionable, and most of us are nervous about his durability.

And Cassel? Well, uh, er, hmm..... I really can't say anything positive about him, quite to be frank.

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-09-2010, 01:58 PM
Cassel/Croyle

Got it.