PDA

View Full Version : KSU Chris Johnson wants 'history deal'

the Talking Can
08-07-2010, 11:27 AM
http://www.tennessean.com/article/20100807/SPORTS01/8070347/2161

Titans running back Chris Johnson vows to be a good teammate, keep a good attitude, and do everything the organization asks of him this season.

The way he sees it, the blockbuster contract he didn't get this summer already has been promised for next summer. And if he doesn't get it by then, he said, he won't budge on his demands.

"I couldn't be in here mad. If I was going to come in here mad, I shouldn't have taken the little (money) they gave me,'' Johnson said of the compromise he reached with the Titans last month. "Basically I have to come in here and have a great year and get my history deal next year.

"I felt like I deserved it this year, but I can say it won't happen again. This is the last time without me having a long-term deal. It's a must.''
Related

On Friday the third-year pro said the Titans told him and agent Joel Segal the team would begin negotiations about a lucrative new contract at some point in September.

"A couple of games into the season," he said.

NFL rules, however, prohibit Johnson from signing a new contract until July 22, 2011 a year after he signed the paperwork on his modest pay increase.

Instead of the $30 million guaranteed he was hoping for, Johnson received what amounted to a $1.5 million raise. The Titans moved money he'd earned from 2012 to 2010 and added some incentives.

Johnson was scheduled to make $550,000 in 2010, the third year of his original five-year, $12 million contract that included $7 million guaranteed.

"With my situation, you have to know who you are dealing with at the end of the day," Johnson said. "You are dealing with a team that is not known for (paying).''

The Titans declined to comment Friday night. Segal could not be reached for comment.

Broncos linebacker Elvis Dumervil, 49ers linebacker Patrick Willis and Texans receiver Andre Johnson recently got blockbuster contracts. Vikings running back Adrian Peterson may want a new deal.

Johnson has noticed.

"Of course it's hard, looking around seeing Andre Johnson getting a new deal, and Elvis Dumervil," he said. "You have guys like that, but I don't think you can look around and see a guy after two years who re-did a deal, so I was in a different situation.
(2 of 2)

"I feel like a lot of teams around the league would be willing to pay me, but I want to be here. And I feel like the way we worked it out for me to come this year, they pretty much know already I should have a deal next year. I know there is nothing I can do now. I just have to wait 'til next year.''

Johnson, who skipped all of the voluntary offseason workouts and practices, reiterated that he's going to work hard to have an even better season than last year.

After rushing for a league-leading 2,006 yards, compiling 2,509 all-purpose yards and taking home the NFL Offensive Player of the Year award, his goals include 2,500 rushing and 3,000 all-purpose yards.

"When it is all said and done, he wants to play football,'' tight end Bo Scaife said. "Usually production gets rewarded, but not in every case. You don't know exactly what is going to happen, but if you just go out there and do your thing, something good usually happens. But we all know we are glad to have C.J. in this locker room.''

Johnson insisted he's keeping the faith. He'll try to put up more big numbers that would make his value skyrocket. And he'll be looking to see if Peterson gets a new contract.

"It would be a good thing for him to get one before me," Johnson said. "Because whatever he gets, we'll go more than that.''
Next Page

Bane
08-07-2010, 11:34 AM
Fugg him.1 breakout year where they ran the ball 10,000 times because they suck passing the ball and he thinks he's the best and should be paid as such.:cuss:He should be a Donk.

Coach
08-07-2010, 11:35 AM
A K-State logo for Chris Johnson?

Hmm....

OnTheWarpath58
08-07-2010, 11:39 AM
Fugg him.1 breakout year where they ran the ball 10,000 times because they suck passing the ball and he thinks he's the best and should be paid as such.:cuss:He should be a Donk.

http://i41.tinypic.com/2gwgp4j.jpg

Yeah, he was complete trash in 2008 where he averaged 5 a carry and had 9 TD's.

And FWIW, they ran the ball a whopping 23 times more than they passed last year.

Hog Farmer
08-07-2010, 11:42 AM
And if Jamaal has a great year this year. You know he's watching.

QuikSsurfer
08-07-2010, 11:42 AM
I'd pay him

Bane
08-07-2010, 11:46 AM

And FWIW, they ran the ball a whopping 23 times more than they passed last year.

I'm not saying that he's not a great RB,but these guys have 1 really good year and they want $100 million like Haynesworthless.I'm not even saying he shouldn't get a raise,but record deal because he had a really good year and then a great year? Fugg him!

Just Passin' By
08-07-2010, 11:47 AM
No "history" deal in 2010

Potential loss of the 2011 season

This guy could start killing puppies at any moment.

Tylerthigpen!1!
08-07-2010, 11:55 AM

Uh the guy had a 5.6 ypc last season... on 358 carries. The guy deserves to get paid. Maybe nothing long term since he relies on speed but none the less show him the money.

milkman
08-07-2010, 11:58 AM

CJ ran the ball 358 times last year, so I'd call that "10, 000" number just a bit of an embellishment.

He also had a damn good year in his rookie season, but shared the load with Lendale White.

Can't really blame him for wanting a better deal, because he has to be aware of the fact that RBs generally have a short shelf life.

Bane
08-07-2010, 11:59 AM
Uh the guy had a 5.6 ypc last season... on 358 carries. The guy deserves to get paid. Maybe nothing long term since he relies on speed but none the less show him the money.

Fine,give him a 5 year extension for 60 mil and guarantee half of it,but to break the bank on a RB who will take a beating like he will is crazy!

milkman
08-07-2010, 11:59 AM

He's a bit more physical than people give him credit for.

Bane
08-07-2010, 12:01 PM
CJ ran the ball 358 times last year, so I'd call that "10, 000" number just a bit of an embellishment.

He also had a damn good year in his rookie season, but shared the load with Lendale White.

Can't really blame him for wanting a better deal, because he has to be aware of the fact that RBs generally have a short shelf life.

Absolutely agree.I way overstated his number of carries.I'm simply saying to base a record deal on even 2 years of GREAT play is crazy when guys go down daily and never live up to their pay.Should he be paid better IMO? Sure,but not record $$.