PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Eric Berry goes the extra mile

KCrockaholic
08-10-2010, 10:16 AM
http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2010/8/10/1614912/eric-berry-goes-the-extra-mile-for

First and foremost, I'd like to start off this post by saying just how awesome it is to have a young man like Eric Berry on the 2010 Kansas City Chiefs.
Before heading up to Saint Joe today to watch the evening practice session, I had heard good things about Mr. Berry, you know normal stuff, he's a character guy, he always stops and gives kids autographs, etc.
But even all these good and positive statements could not prepare me for the awesome human that Eric Berry proved himself to be tonight.
After a two hour practice in 100+ heat, Berry made a B line straight for the autograph seeker section and silently started signing memorabilia on a day where the heat made it miserable enough that only one other Chief stopped to sign (Brandon Albert).
However Mr. Berry's commitment to the fans outlasted Albert's and long after he had gone inside, Berry was still out there signing.
Now, I have never been much for autographs; however, I had my two grade school aged nephews with me and, like all kids, autographs are king in their eyes.
So, when they approached Mr. Berry and he readily autographed both their football and their hat, it was not so much of a surprise as it was greatly appreciated; but what Mr. Berry did on this night went a step further than I believe anybody could ask or expect out of a pro player.
A camp staff member had previously given my nephews a heads up that players sometimes give away their gloves after practice and told my nephews that they should ask Berry for his. When they asked Berry for his gloves he told them that he unfortunately had already given away his gloves today. Now keep in mind he had already signed a ball and a hat for these young men. Who could ever expect or ask any more of a player?
But what happened next floored me. Since Mr. Berry didn't have any gloves, he took off his shoes, signed them, and handed them to my nephew's.
It was an awesome to see a guy who takes his role and image in the eyes of fans quite seriously, especially in a day and age of pre-madona players.
Now I can't say for sure that Eric Berry will give you the shirt off his back, but he sure as hell will give you the shoes off his feet...
God bless you Mr. Berry. The NFL and the Chiefs are lucky and better off to have such a kind man as the face of their product.

Wow. This is why I love Eric Berry.

Dicky McElephant
08-10-2010, 10:17 AM
Dude.....that's fucking awesome.

CoMoChief
08-10-2010, 10:21 AM
That's pretty cool.

Now, as long as he makes the Pro Bowl and anchors our secondary for yrs to come.

chasedude
08-10-2010, 10:22 AM
What a guy, I hope he's as generous with his hits in the regular season as he is with kids!

wasi
08-10-2010, 10:27 AM
I can't remember ever seeing a picture where Berry is wearing gloves.

Just an observation, not doubting the cool story.

KCrockaholic
08-10-2010, 10:32 AM

He wore gloves earlier in camp. That might be when this story was from. idk.

bluehawkdoc
08-10-2010, 10:53 AM
Great story. I've never had anyone ask for me to take off my clothes, shoes or gloves. Come to think of it, people usually offer me money to keep my clothes on...

talastan
08-10-2010, 11:06 AM
It is awesome to see this type of kindness from a future leader of the Chiefs. As long as he is a freaking cold-blooded killer on the field he's the full package IMO. Great pick Scott!!

CHENZ A!
08-10-2010, 11:06 AM

I agree, cool story, but I've only ever seen EB tape his fingers
Posted via Mobile Device

KcMizzou
08-10-2010, 11:07 AM
I remember reading that Berry once got stiffed by his childhood idol (Deon Sanders), and he vowed not to do that to anyone if/when he made it big.

Hydrae
08-10-2010, 11:11 AM
I hope this kid is half as good on the field as he has shown himself to be off the field. :thumb:

blazzin311
08-10-2010, 11:14 AM
That's pretty cool.

Now, as long as he makes the Pro Bowl and anchors our secondary for yrs to come.

This. Haven't been this excited about a Chiefs draft pick in a long time actually. ;)

DA_T_84
08-10-2010, 11:18 AM
I passed him on the street downtown one night, (seriously) and I was like "Eric!!!" and he was awesome. Stopped and talked with my buddy and I and told his group to go on ahead. He just kinda bs'd with us and asked what we were up to, and where we were going. I told him I'd wish him good luck, but that he wouldn't need it.

He was completely gracious and an awesome, awesome guy.

And that is all after I started the "Erik Berry Man-Ruv Fread" on CP.

Goldmember
08-10-2010, 11:24 AM
Groveling for autographs is stupid, unless you're a kid. At least these goobers could offer him a cold drink...a smuggled in beer would be even better.

Inspector
08-10-2010, 11:24 AM
I'm going to ask him to autograph his car and let me have it. He's just the kind that would do that.

Great story!

gblowfish
08-10-2010, 11:28 AM
It's nice to root for a guy who is not a douche.
Character matters.
Are you listening, LJ????

Hoover
08-10-2010, 11:31 AM
Good to see that Albert was working it too.

Berry is going to be a star, and the good thing is he already knows how to handle himself.

SDChiefs
08-10-2010, 11:33 AM
It's nice to root for a guy who is not a douche.
Character matters.
Are you listening, LJ????

(Haley gives you the finger)

Calitozoni
08-10-2010, 11:37 AM
It's great to root for a good guy. Wish there were more of them.

MOhillbilly
08-10-2010, 11:38 AM
blah im sick of feel good stories. Give me the Pain Train Mr. Berry. WOOOOO WOOOOO!!!!!

jbwm89
08-10-2010, 12:28 PM
Guy signed forever after the Saturday scrimmage too, signed three jerseys for some 40 year old to go sell on ebay right next to me.

KCrockaholic
08-10-2010, 12:31 PM
Guy signed forever after the Saturday scrimmage too, signed three jerseys for some 40 year old to go sell on ebay right next to me.

Wowza.

I think it's kinda of a slap in the face if a guy gets 3 jerseys signed and it's obvious he is going to go sell them on ebay. I'd have more respect for EB than that.

KCtotheSB
08-10-2010, 01:16 PM
Awesome story. I really hope he does keep up the fan interaction in this way (and not via the police blotter like most other athletes). If he performs on the field as well, the fans will be behind him 100% in most any situation (contract disputes, a few struggles on the field). It's nice to see a young guy with a promising future not act like a narcisstic prick.

MOhillbilly
08-10-2010, 01:49 PM
i dont know how it works now but in the 90s players got an allowance from the shoe company.

SNR
08-10-2010, 01:54 PM
You know this is how foot fetishes begin in people, right?

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-10-2010, 02:47 PM
I have supreme confidence in Eric Berry.

TheGuardian
08-10-2010, 02:53 PM
F'n awesome.

Baby Lee
08-10-2010, 04:01 PM
Wouldn't the 'day and age of pre-madona players' have ended in the early 80s?

seclark
08-10-2010, 04:06 PM
Wouldn't the 'day and age of pre-madona players' have ended in the early 80s?

hopefully the veterans will fill berry in on this matter.
sec

PhillyChiefFan
08-10-2010, 04:34 PM
That's awesome, glad we have some talented players with heart, dedication and humility on this team.

God knows it's a rarity in the NFL.

ChiefaRoo
08-10-2010, 04:38 PM
F**K Eriks Berries/Jarad Page

eazyb81
08-10-2010, 04:50 PM
Damn what greedy kids.

"Thanks for the autographed football and hat......what else ya got?"

I would despise fans if I were a pro player.

Digital Takawira
08-10-2010, 05:27 PM
went up to training camp on the 1st. tamba stayed about 15 min after everyone else had gone inside and made sure every single person waiting for an autograph got one. he was obviously burning up and worn out from practice, but still was willing to wait for every fan. it's about time we had guys like tamba and eric on the team instead of @$$holes like LJ.

chop
08-10-2010, 06:24 PM
That's a better story than the one we heard a few years ago from the player that went to Penn state.

KS-Surveyor
08-10-2010, 07:20 PM
I saw the same thing from EB last week. He was one of the first there to sign autographs and the last to leave. My kids loved it. The only bad thing that I saw was the adults cutting line in front of the kids that were trying to get autographs. EB was great. I look forward to seeing him play.

milkman
08-11-2010, 07:33 AM
Awesome story. I really hope he does keep up the fan interaction in this way (and not via the police blotter like most other athletes). If he performs on the field as well, the fans will be behind him 100% in most any situation (contract disputes, a few struggles on the field). It's nice to see a young guy with a promising future not act like a narcisstic prick.

You do realize that the number of athletes that come up on the police blotter is a pretty small percentage of the total number of athletes.

There are over 1800 players on NFL rosters, and you usually get fewer than 10 of them making the police blotter every year.

For the most part, most of these guys are good guys.

We just live in a society that doesn't give a rat's ass about feel good stories.

DaKCMan AP
08-11-2010, 07:41 AM

He wore them sometimes in college, other times he just taped his fingers.

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRJTrAz41hV1HxCOndOOrRIqePiI22dLrk0_MMBUTds_UMZtas&t=1&usg=__rR8uzVBCfim-QKUcU3Crm_NrcVg=http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSo6LuPsFY6X3i8vkWwSQuMk-yiDhZ_R0KxLw_YlprxxWkAHNA&t=1&usg=__x30CvtBNUGtUxskdgyCqJ9xf70Q=http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS3u0vlPMwP1ezcB5NtH3GR1SzewM1ct-vu45CIyhcpTgHrqLA&t=1&usg=__nasoSNtF-YcsakumsRQk3nWy6OA=http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQhm77mkSopWXJYhYEYeEOLFNQHNbJ2zgxgeHaD9FgEO7YbUa4&t=1&usg=__Kaui0sK_fLyRaF2csIN4GwWyShM=