PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Car Ignition Question

jAZ
08-10-2010, 11:06 PM
Had a problem with my car's ignition. The key wouldn't rotate. Called a locksmith and they had to rebuild the tumblers inside.

Anway, the day after they fix it, I turn the car on to drive it for the first time. 4 things have changed about the car wiring.

1) The "ding... ding... ding" sound you get when you open the door with the keys still in the ignition now does it's dinging the whole time the door is open (whether or not the key is in the ignition).

2) I used to be able to get out of the car and using the lock-all-doors switch on the drivers door... I would be able to lock all the doors and then close the door. Not any more. As soon as you do that, it first switches all the doors locked before immediately switching them all back unlocked. It took me a few days before I realized that I was walking away from my car thinking it's locked while but in fact all 4 doors were unlocked.

3) The trunk switch on the key chain now won't open the trunk.

In talking to the guy who fixed the ignitition, he mentioned that he doesn't understand why this is happening because he didn't reset the computer in the ignition.

Does anyone know anything about car ignitions? Could he have accidentally done something that caused all of these problems to occur at one time?

I can't tell if maybe he (or his partner who started the work at the end of the day before) did in fact reset the computer (I didn't know there was a computer in the ignition) and these settings are the factory defaults (which were somehow customized along the way... it's a used car, so I wouldn't know).

Thoughts?

Baconeater
08-10-2010, 11:23 PM
Wait a minute, there's a sensor in the lock cylinder that detects whether or not there is a key in the ignition, I'll bet the reason the car doors are unlocking themselves is because of some type of safety feature to prevent you from locking your keys in your car. That would also explain why the 'dinging' is still going on with no key in the ignition. So I take what I said in my previous post back, he did screw something up.

AustinChief
08-11-2010, 12:24 AM
Wait a minute, there's a sensor in the lock cylinder that detects whether or not there is a key in the ignition, I'll bet the reason the car doors are unlocking themselves is because of some type of safety feature to prevent you from locking your keys in your car. That would also explain why the 'dinging' is still going on with no key in the ignition. So I take what I said in my previous post back, he did screw something up.

yup. ...and it would also explain the trunk... if the keys are in the ignition... you wouldn't want to accidently bump the trunk open switch while driving... so it probably disables that as well.

He somehow screwed it so the sensor is always tripped. What make/model car is it?

jAZ
08-11-2010, 01:11 AM
2000 Nissan Maxima.

Great information too. Just the sort of info I was looking for.

CrazyHorse
08-11-2010, 04:07 AM
The car thinks the key is in the ignition.

You should call dude and have him check his wiring and make sure everything is grounded. Otherwise, he needs look at the ignition sensor so the car knows when you remove the key.

2bikemike
08-11-2010, 04:26 AM
Not sure how much crap you have on your key ring but the more weight your key ring carries increases the chances of damaging your ignition lock.

JASONSAUTO
08-11-2010, 06:48 AM

this

Bwana
08-11-2010, 06:52 AM
What kind of vehicle is it?

jAZ
08-11-2010, 07:37 AM
2000 Nissan Maxima

Bwana
08-11-2010, 08:01 AM
2000 Nissan Maxima

I don't know dude, it sounds like "Mr. fix it" may have crossed a wire or two.

Baconeater
08-11-2010, 08:12 AM
I'm surprised you are able to lock the doors at all with that sensor tripped, I tried to lock the wife's Camry with a key in the ignition, and as soon as I let up on the door lock switch, it immediately unlocked them. I tried it on my Dodge truck as well, and the door lock switch was completely disabled, it didn't do a damn thing at all.

Kind of a cool feature, although it still won't prevent me from locking up the vehicle with the keys laying on the passenger seat. I've done that numerous times.

El Jefe
08-11-2010, 08:16 AM
The car thinks the key is in the ignition.

You should call dude and have him check his wiring and make sure everything is grounded. Otherwise, he needs look at the ignition sensor so the car knows when you remove the key.

This is true.

JD10367
08-11-2010, 08:34 AM
Best way to ignite a car is gasoline poured over the roof.

Wait... wrong topic. Nevermind.