View Full Version : Life Seattle -- Please tell me about it.

Bearcat
08-11-2010, 10:04 PM
I'm thinking about spending the week of Labor Day there. I'm looking at hotels.com right now and there's a hotel in the downtown/needle area for $100/night, so that's cool.

Bumbershoot (http://bumbershoot.org/) is that weekend.

I've been up several things, like the Sears/Willis Tower, Eiffel Tower, St. Louis Arch, etc; so I guess I'll go up the Space Needle since I'm getting pretty good at that.

Ferry rides? The Aquarium (I'm pretty spoiled with aquariums though)? The Underground tour thing? Nightlife? Food?

I tend to knock out any touristy stuff pretty quickly when I travel, so any suggestions on non-touristy/off-the-beaten-path/hidden treasure stuff would be cool, too.

tia

OnTheWarpath15
08-11-2010, 10:07 PM
Paging Mr. Flopnuts.

Mr. Flopnuts, please pick up a white courtesy phone, you have a call.

luv
08-11-2010, 10:09 PM
Paging Mr. Flopnuts.

Mr. Flopnuts, please pick up a white courtesy phone, you have a call.

That dude's been pretty scarce since he's been here. I hope I didn't scare him off.

JoeyChuckles
08-11-2010, 10:10 PM
Seattle. You know: fish, pines, cup 'o coffee, bad food, worse weather, Ichiro F%$king Suzuki... SEATTLE.

Name that (altered) movie.

Bugeater
08-11-2010, 10:12 PM
You can ride the monorail from downtown to the Seattle Center where the Space Needle is. The Pacific Science Center was kinda cool too. Pike Place Market downtown as well. Oh, and be prepared for the panhandlers, they are EVERYWHERE.

luv
08-11-2010, 10:15 PM
A lot of cool bands originated there. Look up some bar/club and see if they have anyone obscure playing?

Bearcat
08-11-2010, 10:23 PM
You can ride the monorail from downtown to the Seattle Center where the Space Needle is. The Pacific Science Center was kinda cool too. Pike Place Market downtown as well. Oh, and be prepared for the panhandlers, they are EVERYWHERE.

Thanks, I'll check out the Science Center and Pike Place.

(that's almost a copy/paste from your previous advice... http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=4976825&postcount=3 )

Bearcat
08-11-2010, 10:23 PM
A lot of cool bands originated there. Look up some bar/club and see if they have anyone obscure playing?

Bumbershoot.

Mr. Flopnuts
08-11-2010, 10:28 PM
That dude's been pretty scarce since he's been here. I hope I didn't scare him off.

Been super busy trying to put things together. Although, I do check in once a night and make sure I'm not missing anything epic. :D

Alright, I'll fill up a post dedicated to the awesomeness of Seattle, and there is plenty of it.

RealSNR
08-11-2010, 10:30 PM
If you're an aquarium guy, this one is pretty unimpressive. It talks a lot about the local wildlife which is cool, but it's not set up well. It IS housed in one of the old piers though, which is sweet.

You're planning on doing the space needle, I know. Just wanted to say that I actually enjoyed it. A lot of those towers kind of suck/are lame; this one is not. Go there in the evening if you can. The view of Seattle at dusk is something special.

There's a science fiction museum right next to the Experience Music Project, and fairly close to the space needle. I'm a giant nerd, but I thought that was cool. If that kind of stuff isn't up your alley, it will be boring as hell.

Pike Place IS cool. Spend an entire afternoon there. Lots of shit to see.

luv
08-11-2010, 10:36 PM
Bumbershoot.

Ah. I didn't know what that was, and didn't bother looking it up before posting. Go figure.

Mr. Flopnuts
08-11-2010, 10:36 PM
First off, hit the U-District and have a few beers and buy yourself some Seattle chronic. Even if you don't smoke, it's good enough there to get some and do it anyways. :D Plus the U-District is college central and just rocks in general. Hot girls, good drink specials, awesome live music, the list goes on and on. Definitely spend a night there living that experience.

Also, make sure you spend a night or 3 in Pioneer Square towards downtown. Preferably on the weekend if you can. That place is poppin' and there are over a dozen bars down there with live music, and see all of the above in relation to the U-District. You should easily be able to kill a week at those places alone, but feel free to check out Fremont, Ballard, and the Showbox for some other hot party places at night.

As for touristy stuff, obviously the Space Needle, EMP experience, and the Pacific Science Center should be on the list. Pike Place, and a few other places have been mentioned. Check out Gasworks Park, it's pretty cool too. They're all in the downtown vicinity, but I would personally dedicate an entire day to EMP. PSC and the Space Needle should be able to be accomplished in one day.

From there, check out the Sound Garden (Yes, the band did get their name there), Gasworks park, Greenlake, and the Fremont Troll. That troll is fucking epic and something most people never come across in their time here, but it's a timeless piece of Seattle hippy, artsy history. It's awesome. Fremont in general is a great place with it's own vibe, and should be experienced fully.

That stuff should keep you plenty busy while you're here, and it's what comes to the top of my head, but there's so much more. You shouldn't spend one bored moment in that city. I already miss it. If I think of anything else that you can't live without, I'll post here again. But I highly suggest freelancing a day or two while you're there and don't make plans. Things will come up as you get familiar with your surroundings.

Oh, and make sure to get yourself some Dick's. Everyone in Seattle loves Dick's. I could go on for days and days about the quality of Seattle's Dick's. It's a staple of the city. My favorite place to find Dick's in Seattle is either in the U-District, or up in Lake City. Highest quality you can find is there.

Have fun man, although it would be hard not too.

And I'm just assuming you're going there on Labor Day weekend for Bumbershoot, so I didn't bother mentioning it. It's an obvious selection.

luv
08-11-2010, 10:37 PM
Been super busy trying to put things together. Although, I do check in once a night and make sure I'm not missing anything epic. :D

Alright, I'll fill up a post dedicated to the awesomeness of Seattle, and there is plenty of it.

There you are. I was gonna see if you wanted to get together to watch the preseason game (it is airing down here on FOX). Leave it to dad to be scheduled to fly back to town right in the middle of it, though.

luv
08-11-2010, 10:41 PM
Oh, and make sure to get yourself some Dick's. Everyone in Seattle loves Dick's. I could go on for days and days about the quality of Seattle's Dick's. It's a staple of the city. My favorite place to find Dick's in Seattle is either in the U-District, or up in Lake City. Highest quality you can find is there.

Definitely read this part out loud. LMAO

Mr. Flopnuts
08-11-2010, 10:41 PM
There you are. I was gonna see if you wanted to get together to watch the preseason game (it is airing down here on FOX). Leave it to dad to be scheduled to fly back to town right in the middle of it, though.

I absolutely would, but I got an invite from an old friend (who actually introduced me to this place) to watch it at his place and I'm really looking forward to it. I haven't gotten a chance to see him yet since I've been down here. I have no doubt we'll be hooking up for some Chiefs games this year though.

Mr. Flopnuts
08-11-2010, 10:46 PM
While I'm at it, don't underestimate some of the natural beauty the Pacific Northwest has to offer. If you're into outdoorsy stuff, there aren't a lot of places on Earth that is more majestic than going up to Snoqualmie Falls, or Stevens Pass even. The Cascade mountains are gorgeous and should be experienced by anyone of a spiritual nature. I know most people go to Seattle for the city, and there is plenty to do there, but there is so much more in that area than just that town.

Anyone who is on my Facebook page should check out my pictures I took of my hike through the Ape Caves in Mt. Saint Helens. 1800 year old, underground lava tunnels. Pure awesome.

Mr. Flopnuts
08-11-2010, 10:46 PM
Definitely read this part out loud. LMAO

Next time we get together, I'll tell you an hilarious story about Dick's.

luv
08-11-2010, 10:53 PM
Next time we get together, I'll tell you an hilarious story about Dick's.

I have a few of my own, but you probably don't want to hear mine. LMAO

Bugeater
08-11-2010, 10:53 PM
Thanks, I'll check out the Science Center and Pike Place.

(that's almost a copy/paste from your previous advice... http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=4976825&postcount=3 )
Well why didn't you just read that thread to begin with? :cuss:

Bearcat
08-11-2010, 10:54 PM
If you're an aquarium guy, this one is pretty unimpressive. It talks a lot about the local wildlife which is cool, but it's not set up well. It IS housed in one of the old piers though, which is sweet.

You're planning on doing the space needle, I know. Just wanted to say that I actually enjoyed it. A lot of those towers kind of suck/are lame; this one is not. Go there in the evening if you can. The view of Seattle at dusk is something special.

There's a science fiction museum right next to the Experience Music Project, and fairly close to the space needle. I'm a giant nerd, but I thought that was cool. If that kind of stuff isn't up your alley, it will be boring as hell.

Pike Place IS cool. Spend an entire afternoon there. Lots of shit to see.

It's weird... I wouldn't say I'm a huge aquarium person, but I lived in Omaha for a year and had to go, Atlanta for a few months and it was like a 10 minute walk from my hotel, and I've been to Chicago and Chattanooga for other reasons by while I was there..... but, I might check it out.

Thanks for the info.

Bearcat
08-11-2010, 11:02 PM
Thanks, Flopnuts... unlike most of my trips, I actually have a few weeks to figure out what I want to do, and it sounds like I'll be busy.

Well why didn't you just read that thread to begin with? :cuss:

I wanted my own thread. :harumph:

ClevelandBronco
08-11-2010, 11:27 PM
...I'm looking at hotels.com right now and there's a hotel in the downtown/needle area...

Yeah, well be careful. It's Seattle. The "needle area" might not mean what you think.

Bearcat
08-12-2010, 01:00 AM
Looks like the CityPASS (http://www.citypass.com/seattle?mv_source=empsfm) covers the Needle, Aquarium, Pacific Science Center, and EMS/SFM... along with a harbor cruise, museum of flight, and the zoo...... for $60.

:clap:

NewChief
08-12-2010, 04:48 AM
I checked out the lineup. Some pretty good bands on there. Some of the choices are obvious. Also, definitely go see Edward Sharp.

Also check out Visqueen if you get a chance. Cool little power punk trio who are from Seattle.

Also, Baroness is pretty awesome if you like metal, and I've heard they put on a great show.

pikesome
08-12-2010, 05:24 AM
I did Bumbershoot in '97 while I was stationed up there in Bremerton. Had a lot of fun, there was/is just too many shows to hit all of them though.

Got to see Dick Dale live at a distance of about 8 feet. Quite awesome.

We used to go to the Hurricane Cafe, which is just a few blocks from the Needle, after an evening of carousing. The place wasn't anything special but it was always a guarantee of dealers and hookers if that was what you were looking for. Probably not during Bumbershoot though.

DaKCMan AP
08-12-2010, 09:21 AM
I was in Seattle for a couple days last summer while on a road trip.

A few tips:
- Do the Space Needle & eat lunch there. Our group loved the food and, although the food is pricey (I think it was $25 minimum per person), included in the price is an elevator ticket which is $18 on its own.
- Pike's Place is Awesome. Stop by the original Starbucks on your way there. Lowell's had good breakfast.
- Take a trip out to Redhook Brewery (located in Woodinville). Their tour is Awesome and you get lots of samples.
- If you make it out to Redhook, some good wineries are right in that area (some directly across the street). After the lunch and the brewery tour we went to Chateau Ste. Michelle and Januik. Columbia is located right there too.
- The Ducks of Seattle tour was cool, but corny and a little too lengthy.
- Cafe Bengodi was an Awesome Italian restaurant. We got there as they were closing and convinced the owner/chef (who is Luigi's son - Luigi owns Denunzio's, Al Boccalino, Pastiamo, and Cafe Bengodi) to stay open for us. He did, and drank/joked/cooked for us and the food was outstanding. We stayed at Hotel Max and were able to walk everywhere.

DMAC
08-12-2010, 10:23 AM
There is a wall...people put gum on it.

kcfanintitanhell
08-12-2010, 10:36 AM
About an hour's drive north on I-5 will get you into the Skagit Valley, and some pretty cool places. Deception Pass and Whidbey Island are worth checking out, if you're into that kinda thing.

Rain Man
08-12-2010, 10:50 AM
I was just there last month. Had one of the best meals of my life there at a little Thai place called Mae Phim (on Pike, there are two of them): http://www.maephimpike.com/. Pineapple crispy chicken. Ohmygodwow. It was amazing. I would consider moving to Seattle just so I could have it more often.

I also went to Olympic National Park (very cool) and Rainier National Park (cool, but probably less so than Olympic, though the mountain is amazing). Visited the Glass Museum in Tacoma, which was meh and the Pike Market. The Pike market is fine, and you can get good cherries there, but it's just a big market. I don't quite see the appeal of it or the gum wall that's directly beneath one of the entrances. I did a harbor tour, which was fine.

Stewie
08-12-2010, 11:10 AM
My family did the NW/Seattle trip before my senior year of high school. We did all the touristy stuff, but my most memorable times were on the Olympic Peninsula... especially the Ho rain forest. We also stayed in a really cool rustic hotel on Lake Crescent. Absolutely the clearest lake I've ever seen. It was actually eerie to be able to see 60' down in a lake. I'd at least make a day trip out of the peninsula. It's worth every minute.

Pants
08-12-2010, 11:20 AM
Seattle. You know: fish, pines, cup 'o coffee, bad food, worse weather, Ichiro F%$king Suzuki... SEATTLE.

Name that (altered) movie.

Snatch :)

38yrsfan
08-12-2010, 11:44 AM
Looks like the CityPASS (http://www.citypass.com/seattle?mv_source=empsfm) covers the Needle, Aquarium, Pacific Science Center, and EMS/SFM... along with a harbor cruise, museum of flight, and the zoo...... for $60.

:clap:

I've used it before, good deal and you can skip the ticket lines and go straight to the ticket takers, look for the signs, you get a good deal and treated nice. It went up since they added the Space Needle, but still a savings - I'm getting more when I take the family over at the end of August. The drive through Leavenworth and over the Cascades is great, not as quick as using the highway and going through Vantage (great views) though.

The Museum of Flight is worth it, IMO, been there quite a few times and it is on the City Pass as well.

Brock
08-12-2010, 12:25 PM
You'll be close to the 5 Point Cafe. Be sure to go eat some breakfast food there and be treated like shit by the staff. It's great.

Bearcat
08-12-2010, 03:38 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions, good stuff. I'm definitely not much of a planner (I booked everything for my last trip to Chicago 12 hours before leaving)... I normally research things to do at a high level and look at transportation options if I'm not driving, but I might have to start making a list so I can knockout as much as possible in 5.5 days.

I was in Seattle for a couple days last summer while on a road trip.

A few tips:
- Do the Space Needle & eat lunch there. Our group loved the food and, although the food is pricey (I think it was $25 minimum per person), included in the price is an elevator ticket which is $18 on its own.
- Pike's Place is Awesome. Stop by the original Starbucks on your way there. Lowell's had good breakfast.
- Take a trip out to Redhook Brewery (located in Woodinville). Their tour is Awesome and you get lots of samples.
- If you make it out to Redhook, some good wineries are right in that area (some directly across the street). After the lunch and the brewery tour we went to Chateau Ste. Michelle and Januik. Columbia is located right there too.
- The Ducks of Seattle tour was cool, but corny and a little too lengthy.
- Cafe Bengodi was an Awesome Italian restaurant. We got there as they were closing and convinced the owner/chef (who is Luigi's son - Luigi owns Denunzio's, Al Boccalino, Pastiamo, and Cafe Bengodi) to stay open for us. He did, and drank/joked/cooked for us and the food was outstanding. We stayed at Hotel Max and were able to walk everywhere.

The Redhook area sounds nice, but it looks like it's 3 hours of bus rides roundtrip... maybe I'll find another way to get out there if I have some time.

I was just there last month. Had one of the best meals of my life there at a little Thai place called Mae Phim (on Pike, there are two of them): http://www.maephimpike.com/. Pineapple crispy chicken. Ohmygodwow. It was amazing. I would consider moving to Seattle just so I could have it more often.

I also went to Olympic National Park (very cool) and Rainier National Park (cool, but probably less so than Olympic, though the mountain is amazing). Visited the Glass Museum in Tacoma, which was meh and the Pike Market. The Pike market is fine, and you can get good cherries there, but it's just a big market. I don't quite see the appeal of it or the gum wall that's directly beneath one of the entrances. I did a harbor tour, which was fine.

I think Flopnuts has mentioned the Thai food before as being very good... there's only one place here that's even remotely close to the real stuff, and I would have actually considered going to Bangkok if it wasn't for the 3 days of flying. I'll definitely try it.

I've never been a big on national parks and what not, but like you and Flopnuts have alluded to, there's a bit more to see than what you would see on a road trip from KC to Omaha. ;)

I've used it before, good deal and you can skip the ticket lines and go straight to the ticket takers, look for the signs, you get a good deal and treated nice. It went up since they added the Space Needle, but still a savings - I'm getting more when I take the family over at the end of August. The drive through Leavenworth and over the Cascades is great, not as quick as using the highway and going through Vantage (great views) though.

The Museum of Flight is worth it, IMO, been there quite a few times and it is on the City Pass as well.

It's the first time I've seen it... I've done 4/6 things for Chicago and it would cut the price in half and might have helped with the huge lines (especially the Sears Tower).

38yrsfan
08-12-2010, 04:44 PM
If you are staying downtown mostly here is a link to the free bus area downtown between 6 AM and 7PM.

http://metro.kingcounty.gov/tops/bus/area_maps/m_seattle-rfa.html

Have fun!